Summary: Epidemics of infectious disease that have spread to many countries, often more than one continent, and usually affecting a large number of people.
- Chong K, Zee B, Wang M. A statistical method utilizing information of imported cases to estimate the transmissibility for an influenza pandemic. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2017;17:31 pubmed publisher..method using arrival times of infected cases in different countries to estimate R 0 for influenza pandemics. A simulation was conducted to assess the performance of the proposed method...
- Kargarfard F, Sami A, Ebrahimie E. Knowledge discovery and sequence-based prediction of pandemic influenza using an integrated classification and association rule mining (CBA) algorithm. J Biomed Inform. 2015;57:181-8 pubmed publisher..that the extracted rules can lead to the development of an efficient expert system for prediction of influenza pandemics. To this end, we used a large dataset containing 5373 HA (hemagglutinin) segments of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic and ..
- Kissling E, Rondy M. Early 2016/17 vaccine effectiveness estimates against influenza A(H3N2): I-MOVE multicentre case control studies at primary care and hospital levels in Europe. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..7% in the influenza vaccination target group. At hospital level, IVE was 2.5%, 7.9% and 2.4% among???65, 65-79 and???80 year-olds. As in previous seasons, we observed suboptimal IVE against influenza A(H3N2). ..
- Lowen A. Constraints, Drivers, and Implications of Influenza A Virus Reassortment. Annu Rev Virol. 2017;4:105-121 pubmed publisherInfluenza A viruses are constantly changing. This change accounts for seasonal epidemics, infrequent pandemics, and zoonotic outbreaks...
- Araujo P, Almeida A, Pimentel C, Silva A, Sousa A, Valente S, et al. Sexual transmission of American trypanosomiasis in humans: a new potential pandemic route for Chagas parasites. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:437-446 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the importance of a vigorous education, information, and communication program to prevent sexually transmitted Chagas disease in humans cannot be underemphasised. ..
- Ramanathan A, Pullum L, Hobson T, Steed C, Quinn S, Chennubhotla C, et al. ORBiT: Oak Ridge biosurveillance toolkit for public health dynamics. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 17:S4 pubmed publisher..Taken together ORBiT provides a scalable and extensible platform for public health surveillance. ..
- Collin J, Hill S, Kandlik Eltanani M, Plotnikova E, Ralston R, Smith K. Can public health reconcile profits and pandemics? An analysis of attitudes to commercial sector engagement in health policy and research. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182612 pubmed publisher..Partnership approaches to addressing non-communicable diseases seem incapable of attracting widespread support across public health, challenging practice in many contexts. ..
- Dorratoltaj N, Marathe A, Lewis B, Swarup S, Eubank S, Abbas K. Epidemiological and economic impact of pandemic influenza in Chicago: Priorities for vaccine interventions. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005521 pubmed publisher..study objective is to estimate the epidemiological and economic impact of vaccine interventions during influenza pandemics in Chicago, and assist in vaccine intervention priorities...
- Cheung W, Myburgh J, McGuinness S, Chalmers D, Parke R, Blyth F, et al. A cross-sectional survey of Australian and New Zealand public opinion on methods totriage intensive care patients in an influenza pandemic. Crit Care Resusc. 2017;19:254-265 pubmed..In an influenza pandemic, when ICU resources would be overwhelmed, survey respondents preferred that ICU triage be performed by a senior doctor, but also perceived the use of pre-determined triage criteria to be fair. ..
- Alam S, Chan C, Qiu X, Shannon I, White C, Sant A, et al. Selective pre-priming of HA-specific CD4 T cells restores immunological reactivity to HA on heterosubtypic influenza infection. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176407 pubmed publisher..This could be a potentially useful pre-pandemic vaccination strategy to promote accelerated neutralizing antibody production on challenge with a pandemic influenza strain that contains few conserved HA epitopes. ..
- Adam D, Magee D, Bui C, Scotch M, MacIntyre C. Does influenza pandemic preparedness and mitigation require gain-of-function research?. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2017;11:306-310 pubmed publisher..In this commentary, we provide an overview of the background and applications of gain-of-function research and argue that the anticipated benefits have yet to materialize while the significant risks remain...
- Kissling E, Valenciano M, Buchholz U, Larrauri A, Cohen J, Nunes B, et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness estimates in Europe in a season with three influenza type/subtypes circulating: the I-MOVE multicentre case-control study, influenza season 2012/13. Euro Surveill. 2014;19: pubmed..In this season with many co-circulating viruses, the high sample size enabled stratified AVE by type/subtype. The low estimates indicate seasonal influenza vaccines should be improved to achieve acceptable protection levels. ..
- von der Beck D, Seeger W, Herold S, Gunther A, Löh B. Characteristics and outcomes of a cohort hospitalized for pandemic and seasonal influenza in Germany based on nationwide inpatient data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180920 pubmed publisher..Younger patients were more frequently hospitalized. Differences with respect to the presence of certain comorbidities and co-diagnoses, length of stay, time to ventilation and ventilation time could be identified. ..
- Silva W, Das T, Izurieta R. Estimating disease burden of a potential A(H7N9) pandemic influenza outbreak in the United States. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:898 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the full extent of possible NPIs, if deployed, could also have lowered the disease burden estimates. ..
- Lanari M, Capretti M, Decembrino L, Natale F, Pedicino R, Pugni L, et al. Focus on pandemic 2009 H1N1 influenza (swine flu). Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:39-40 pubmed..Rigorous attention to Standard Precautions and Droplet Precautions is required to reduce the opportunities for the transmission of the infection in the health-care setting. ..
- Jackson M, Yu O, Nelson J, Naleway A, Belongia E, Baxter R, et al. Further evidence for bias in observational studies of influenza vaccine effectiveness: the 2009 influenza A(H1N1) pandemic. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:1327-36 pubmed publisher..This supports the use of preinfluenza periods as control time periods in studies of influenza vaccine effectiveness. ..
- Pfister R, Kochanek M, Leygeber T, Brun Buisson C, Cuquemelle E, Machado M, et al. Procalcitonin for diagnosis of bacterial pneumonia in critically ill patients during 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic: a prospective cohort study, systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2014;18:R44 pubmed publisher
- Acquah J, Dahal R, Sloan F. 1918 Influenza Pandemic: In Utero Exposure in the United States and Long-Term Impact on Hospitalizations. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1477-1483 pubmed publisher..Public Health Implications. To determine investments in influenza pandemic prevention programs that protect fetal health, policymakers should include long-term reductions in hospitalizations in their cost-benefit evaluations. ..
- Boedeker N, Nelson M, Killian M, Torchetti M, Barthel T, Murray S. Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza A virus infection associated with respiratory signs in sloth bears (Melursus ursinus). Zoonoses Public Health. 2017;64:566-571 pubmed publisher..A combination of phylogenetic and epidemiological evidence strongly suggests the sloth bear was infected with a human-origin pH1N1 virus, supporting the implementation of biosecurity measures to protect human and animal health. ..
- Wagner R, Pfleiderer M. Reproducibility of assays for influenza vaccine immunogenicity determination: progress towards consistency. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2012;11:881-3 pubmed
- Richard J, Pham T, Brun Buisson C, Reignier J, Mercat A, Beduneau G, et al. Interest of a simple on-line screening registry for measuring ICU burden related to an influenza pandemic. Crit Care. 2012;16:R118 pubmed publisher..An on-line assessment of Flu-OR via a simple dedicated registry may contribute to better match resources and needs. ..
- Kadam A, Eutsey R, Rosch J, Miao X, Longwell M, Xu W, et al. Promiscuous signaling by a regulatory system unique to the pandemic PMEN1 pneumococcal lineage. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006339 pubmed publisher..Acquisition of TprA2/PhrA2 has provided PMEN1 isolates with a mechanism to promote commensalism over dissemination and control inter-strain gene regulation. ..
- Molbak K, Espenhain L, Nielsen J, Tersago K, Bossuyt N, Denissov G, et al. Excess mortality among the elderly in European countries, December 2014 to February 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20: pubmed
- Hick J, Einav S, Hanfling D, Kissoon N, Dichter J, Devereaux A, et al. Surge capacity principles: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement. Chest. 2014;146:e1S-e16S pubmed publisher..for expanding critical care surge capacity and extension of critical care service capabilities in disasters or pandemics. It focuses on the principles and frameworks for expansion of intensive care services in hospitals in the ..
- Sanejouand Y. A singular mutation in the hemagglutinin of the 1918 pandemic virus. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;625-626:13-16 pubmed publisher..Monitoring this singular mutation in viral sequences may help prevent another dramatic pandemic. ..
- Tzarum N, de Vries R, Peng W, Thompson A, Bouwman K, McBride R, et al. The 150-Loop Restricts the Host Specificity of Human H10N8 Influenza Virus. Cell Rep. 2017;19:235-245 pubmed publisher..Adaptation of influenza A viruses to new hosts are rareÂ events but are the basis for emergence of new influenza pandemics in the human population...
- Cassady D, Castaneda X, Ruelas M, Vostrejs M, Andrews T, Osório L. Pandemics and vaccines: perceptions, reactions, and lessons learned from hard-to-reach Latinos and the H1N1 campaign. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012;23:1106-22 pubmed publisher..Key findings inform future emergency response activities targeting HTR Latino communities. ..
- Fox S, Miller J, Meyers L. Seasonality in risk of pandemic influenza emergence. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005749 pubmed publisherInfluenza pandemics can emerge unexpectedly and wreak global devastation. However, each of the six pandemics since 1889 emerged in the Northern Hemisphere just after the flu season, suggesting that pandemic timing may be predictable...
- Kapczynski A. Order Without Intellectual Property Law: Open Science in Influenza. Cornell Law Rev. 2017;102:1539-648 pubmed..Recognizing this can help us better ground this new field, and better study and support forms of knowledge production that deserve our attention, and that sometimes sustain our very lives...
- Widdowson M, Bresee J, Jernigan D. The Global Threat of Animal Influenza Viruses of Zoonotic Concern: Then and Now. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S493-S498 pubmed publisher..This supplement brings together select recent articles that look at the risk of emergence and transmission of and approaches to prevent novel influenza virus infections...
- Einav S, Hick J, Hanfling D, Erstad B, Toner E, Branson R, et al. Surge capacity logistics: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement. Chest. 2014;146:e17S-43S pubmed publisher..During a temporary loss of infrastructure or overwhelmed hospital resources, deployable critical care services should be considered. ..
- Pelat C, Ferguson N, White P, Reed C, Finelli L, Cauchemez S, et al. Optimizing the precision of case fatality ratio estimates under the surveillance pyramid approach. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;180:1036-46 pubmed publisher..We illustrate these concepts with numerical examples corresponding to 3 influenza pandemic scenarios. Finally, we review the equally important issue of accuracy. ..
- Towers S. Sunspot activity and influenza pandemics: a statistical assessment of the purported association. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2640-2655 pubmed publisher..literature have claimed to find a significant association between sunspot activity and the timing of influenza pandemics. This paper examines these analyses, and attempts to recreate the three most recent statistical analyses by ..
- Wu J, Ma E, Lee C, Chu D, Ho P, Shen A, et al. A serial cross-sectional serologic survey of 2009 Pandemic (H1N1) in Hong Kong: implications for future pandemic influenza surveillance. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2011;5 Suppl 1:190-4 pubmed
- . Antigenic and genetic characteristics of zoonotic influenza viruses and development of candidate vaccine viruses for pandemic preparedness. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:561-71 pubmed
- . Possession, use, and transfer of select agents and toxins; biennial review. Final rule. Fed Regist. 2012;77:61083-115 pubmed..In a companion document published in this issue of the Federal Register, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has made parallel regulatory changes. ..
- Mukerji S, MacIntyre C, Seale H, Wang Q, Yang P, Wang X, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of N95 respirators and medical masks to protect healthcare workers in China from respiratory infections. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:464 pubmed publisher..In the case of a highly pathogenic pandemic, respirator use in HCWs would likely be a cost-effective intervention. ..
- Tabataba F, Chakraborty P, Ramakrishnan N, Venkatramanan S, Chen J, Lewis B, et al. A framework for evaluating epidemic forecasts. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:345 pubmed publisher..Thus we call for a more nuanced approach while evaluating epidemic forecasts and we believe that a comprehensive evaluation framework, as presented in this paper, will add value to the computational epidemiology community. ..
- Nair H, Lau E, Brooks W, Seong A, Theodoratou E, Zgaga L, et al. An evaluation of the emerging vaccines against influenza in children. BMC Public Health. 2013;13 Suppl 3:S14 pubmed publisher..limitations: annual vaccination, high production costs, and cannot respond adequately to meet the demand during pandemics. We used a modified CHNRI methodology for setting priorities in health research investments...
- . Self-reported influenza-like illness during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic--United States, September 2009 - March 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:37-41 pubmed..The results indicate that reported symptoms of ILI were widespread during the 2009--10 influenza season, with a substantial percentage of those reporting ILI seeking health care. ..
- Shao Q, Jia M. Influences on influenza transmission within terminal based on hierarchical structure of personal contact network. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:257 pubmed publisherSince the outbreak of pandemics, influenza has caused extensive attention in the field of public health. It is actually hard to distinguish what is the most effective method to control the influenza transmission within airport terminal...
- Saunders Hastings P, Quinn Hayes B, Smith R, Krewski D. Modelling community-control strategies to protect hospital resources during an influenza pandemic in Ottawa, Canada. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179315 pubmed publisher..We estimate the likely burden of future influenza pandemics through health and economic endpoints...