Summary: Sudden outbreaks of a disease in a country or region not previously recognized in that area, or a rapid increase in the number of new cases of a previous existing endemic disease. Epidemics can also refer to outbreaks of disease in animal or plant populations.
Publications107 found, 100 shown here
- Czarkowski M, Hallmann Szelińska E, Staszewska E, Bednarska K, Kondratiuk K, Brydak L. Influenza in Poland in 2011-2012 and in 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 epidemic seasons. Przegl Epidemiol. 2014;68:455-63, 559-65 pubmed..An increase in the influenza vaccination coverage to the average observed in the EU countries should be one of the priorities for the sanitary-epidemiological stations. ..
- . Update on Emerging Infections: News From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pertussis Epidemic—California, 2014. Ann Emerg Med. 2015;65:568-70 pubmed
- Castro L, Fox S, Chen X, Liu K, Bellan S, Dimitrov N, et al. Assessing real-time Zika risk in the United States. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:284 pubmed publisher..We found that counties most likely to detect cases are not necessarily the most likely to experience epidemics, and used our framework to identify triggers to signal the start of an epidemic based on a policymakers ..
- Kuivanen S, Korhonen E, Helisten A, Huhtamo E, Smura T, Vapalahti O. Differences in the growth properties of Zika virus foetal brain isolate and related epidemic strains in vitro. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1744-1748 pubmed publisher..The recent foetal brain isolate FB-GWUH-2016 demonstrated enhanced infectivity and replication over the serum-origin isolates from French Polynesia and Martinique, suggesting differences in the pathogenic properties. ..
- Iskander J, Rose D, Ghiya N. Science in Emergency Response at CDC: Structure and Functions. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:S122-S125 pubmed publisher..Prevention (CDC) Emergency Operations Center (EOC) include responses to the West African Ebola and Zika virus epidemics. Within the EOC, emergency responses are organized according to the Incident Management System, which provides a ..
- Kucharski A, Eggo R, Watson C, Camacho A, Funk S, Edmunds W. Effectiveness of Ring Vaccination as Control Strategy for Ebola Virus Disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:105-8 pubmed publisher..However, in later stages of the epidemic or in outbreaks with less intense transmission or more effective control, this strategy could help eliminate the disease. ..
- Tang X, Geater A, McNeil E, Deng Q, Dong A, Zhong G. Spatial, temporal and spatio-temporal clusters of measles incidence at the county level in Guangxi, China during 2004-2014: flexibly shaped scan statistics. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:243 pubmed publisher..Thus, intensifying surveillance of timeliness and completeness of routine vaccination and implementing supplementary immunization activities for measles should prioritized in these regions. ..
- Cheng J, Zhang H, Zhao Y, Wang L, Chen M. Mutual Impact of Diabetes Mellitus and Tuberculosis in China. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:384-389 pubmed publisher..This paper systematically reviewed studies conducted in China covering the mutual impact of epidemics of diabetes and tuberculosis, the impact of diabetes on multi-drug resistant tuberculosis and on the ..
- . Meningococcal carriage in the African meningitis belt. Trop Med Int Health. 2013;18:968-78 pubmed publisher..If PsA-TT is to achieve the goal of preventing epidemics, it must be able to prevent the acquisition of pharyngeal carriage as well as invasive meningococcal disease and ..
- Baştuğ A, Bodur H. Ebola viral disease: What should be done to combat the epidemic in 2014?. Turk J Med Sci. 2015;45:1-5 pubmedEbola virus disease (EVD) was defined first in 1976. Since then, more than 24 epidemics have been reported from Africa, predominantly with the Zaire species...
- Lilay A, Asamene N, Bekele A, Mengesha M, Wendabeku M, Tareke I, et al. Reemergence of yellow fever in Ethiopia after 50 years, 2013: epidemiological and entomological investigations. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:343 pubmed publisher..The investigation revealed that YF outbreak was reemerged after 50 years in Ethiopia. Vaccination should be given for the affected and neighboring districts and Case based surveillance should be initiated to detect every case. ..
- Gao J, Shen B, Xiong J, Lu Y, Jiang Q. The measles epidemic trend over the past 30 years in a central district in Shanghai, China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179470 pubmed publisher..We recommend supplemental immunization against measles in adults in order to reduce the immunity decline, especially for migrants. ..
- Maurice J. WHO meeting chooses untried interventions to defeat Ebola. Lancet. 2014;384:e45-6 pubmed
- Farine D. The dynamics of transmission and the dynamics of networks. J Anim Ecol. 2017;86:415-418 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight some of the challenges associated with studying disease dynamics in animal populations, and the importance of continuing efforts to develop the network tools needed to study disease spread. ..
- Bindi J, Braunstein A, Dall Asta L. Predicting epidemic evolution on contact networks from partial observations. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176376 pubmed publisher..model, Belief Propagation was proved to be a reliable and efficient method to identify the origin of an observed epidemics. Here we show that the same method can be applied to predict the future evolution of an epidemic outbreak from ..
- . Meningococcal vaccines: WHO position paper, November 2011. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2011;86:521-39 pubmed
- Martinez Palomo A. Revisiting Zika (and Rubella). J Public Health Policy. 2016;37:273-276 pubmed publisher..The development and almost universal use of rubella vaccine has all but eliminated the congenital rubella syndrome in the world. Rapid development of Zika virus vaccine might well do the same for this epidemic. ..
- Riediger I, Stoddard R, Ribeiro G, Nakatani S, Moreira S, Skraba I, et al. Rapid, actionable diagnosis of urban epidemic leptospirosis using a pathogenic Leptospira lipL32-based real-time PCR assay. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005940 pubmed publisher..identified by active hospital-based surveillance in Salvador and Curitiba during large urban leptospirosis epidemics were tested...
- Refaey S, Azziz Baumgartner E, Amin M, Fahim M, Roguski K, Elaziz H, et al. Increased Number of Human Cases of Influenza Virus A(H5N1) Infection, Egypt, 2014-15. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:2171-3 pubmed publisher..Among infected persons, 99% reported poultry exposure: 19% to ill poultry and 35% to dead poultry. Only 1 person reported wearing personal protective equipment while working with poultry. ..
- Wu S, Ma C, Peng X, Zhang D, Wang Q, Yang P. [Characteristics on the onset features of scarlet fever in Beijing, 2006-2015]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38:514-517 pubmed publisher..17?????????????????????????Pearson????=0.729?P<0.001????2011?A??????????????2.14?? ??? 2011???????????????????????????????????????????A???????????????????????????. ..
- Watts A, Miniota J, Joseph H, Brady O, Kraemer M, Grills A, et al. Elevation as a proxy for mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission in the Americas. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178211 pubmed publisher..Although elevation is a crude predictor of environmental suitability for ZIKV transmission, its constancy made it a pragmatic input for policy decision-making during this public health emergency. ..
- Oh H, Bae J. Vaccination history in elementary school children enrolled in the varicella epidemic investigations held in Jeju-si, Korea in the first half of 2017. Epidemiol Health. 2017;39:e2017053 pubmed publisher..As the government of Jeju-do has supplied a single-labeled vaccine since 2011, there is a need to evaluate the type of vaccination failure such as primary or secondary. ..
- . Pertussis epidemic--Washington, 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:517-22 pubmed..Pertussis vaccination remains the single most effective strategy for prevention of infection. ..
- Malek R, Mitchell H, Furegato M, Simms I, Mohammed H, Nardone A, et al. Contribution of transmission in HIV-positive men who have sex with men to evolving epidemics of sexually transmitted infections in England: an analysis using multiple data sources, 2009-2013. Euro Surveill. 2015;20: pubmed..of STIs in HIV-positive MSM and assessed whether transmission in HIV-positive MSM has contributed to recent STI epidemics in England...
- Nyenswah T, Fallah M, Sieh S, Kollie K, Badio M, Gray A, et al. Controlling the last known cluster of Ebola virus disease - Liberia, January-February 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:500-4 pubmed..After February 19, no additional clusters of Ebola cases have been detected in Liberia. On May 9, the World Health Organization declared the end of the Ebola outbreak in Liberia. ..
- Kang W, Tian Z, Li Q, Zhang L, Xu L. [Sero-epidemiological survey on hepatitis B virus in Yunnan province, between 2006 and 2014]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38:518-521 pubmed publisher..12%?1.61%?1.25%?10~?15~????2014??-hbs???????2006??20~29??2014??-hbc???????2006?? ??? ??????????????????<15?????????. ..
- Zhang Y, Gong Y, Wang C, Liu W, Wang Z, Xia Z, et al. Rapid deployment of a mobile biosafety level-3 laboratory in Sierra Leone during the 2014 Ebola virus epidemic. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005622 pubmed publisher..The MBSL-3 Lab significantly contributed to establishing a suitable laboratory response capacity during the emergence of EVD in Sierra Leone. ..
- McQuilkin P, Udhayashankar K, Niescierenko M, Maranda L. Health-Care Access during the Ebola Virus Epidemic in Liberia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:931-936 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore the critical need to support essential health-care services during humanitarian crises to minimize preventable morbidity and mortality. ..
- Wen L, Behrle E, Tsai A. Evaluating the impact of Affordable Care Act repeal on America's opioid epidemic. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002380 pubmed publisher..In this month's Editorial, Health Commissioner of the City of Baltimore Leana S. Wen and co-authors discuss why the United States needs Medicaid to address its epidemic of opioid abuse. ..
- Becker A, Grenfell B. tsiR: An R package for time-series Susceptible-Infected-Recovered models of epidemics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185528 pubmed publisher..Also included in tsiR are a number of diagnostic tools to assess the fit of the TSIR model. This package should be useful for researchers analyzing incidence data for fully-immunizing infectious diseases...
- Howard N, Guinness L, Rowland M, Durrani N, Hansen K. Cost-effectiveness of adding indoor residual spraying to case management in Afghan refugee settlements in Northwest Pakistan during a prolonged malaria epidemic. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005935 pubmed publisher..This study analyses cost-effectiveness of adding prevention through targeted indoor residual spraying (IRS) to case management in Afghan refugee settlements in Pakistan during a prolonged malaria epidemic...
- Ross R. The Newala epidemic. III. The virus: isolation, pathogenic properties and relationship to the epidemic. J Hyg (Lond). 1956;54:177-91 pubmed
- . CDC Grand Rounds: the TB/HIV syndemic. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:484-9 pubmed..More recently, renewed attention has been given to reducing the global burden of TB, but much remains to be done. ..
- Unnikrishnan R, Pradeepa R, Joshi S, Mohan V. Type 2 Diabetes: Demystifying the Global Epidemic. Diabetes. 2017;66:1432-1442 pubmed publisher..Lessons learned from randomized prevention trials need to be implemented with appropriate cultural adaptations, accompanied by empowerment of the community, if the diabetes epidemic is to be slowed or halted. ..
- Sumi A, Toyoda S, Kanou K, Fujimoto T, Mise K, Kohei Y, et al. Association between meteorological factors and reported cases of hand, foot, and mouth disease from 2000 to 2015 in Japan. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2896-2911 pubmed publisherThe purpose of this study was to clarify the association between hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) epidemics and meteorological conditions...
- Hoofnagle J, Nelson K, Purcell R. Hepatitis E. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:1237-44 pubmed
- Jajou R, Wielders C, Leclercq M, van Leuken J, Shamelian S, Renders N, et al. Persistent high antibody titres against Coxiella burnetii after acute Q fever not explained by continued exposure to the source of infection: a case-control study. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14:629 pubmed publisher..We were unable to explain the cause of persistent high IgG phase I titres among possible chronic Q fever patients by being continuously exposed to the source of infection. ..
- Shi Y, Lai S, Chen Q, Mu D, Li Y, Li X, et al. [Analysis on the epidemiological features of human brucellosis in northern and southern areas of China, 2015-2016]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38:435-440 pubmed publisher..6%??????????????2.2?1?2.7?1???m?48?????????38~58?????????????86.8%????62.7%????????????????3?7?? ??? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ..
- Duy N, Huong L, Ravel P, Huong L, Dwivedi A, Sessions O, et al. Valine/isoleucine variants drive selective pressure in the VP1 sequence of EV-A71 enteroviruses. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:333 pubmed publisher..I/V variants were shown on other viruses to correlate with pathogenicity. This should be investigated in EV-A71. I/V variants are an easy and efficient way to survey and identify circulating EV-A71 strains. ..
- Nielsen C, Kidd S, Sillah A, Davis E, Mermin J, Kilmarx P. Improving burial practices and cemetery management during an Ebola virus disease epidemic - Sierra Leone, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:20-7 pubmed
- Laraque F, Varma J. A Public Health Approach to Hepatitis C in an Urban Setting. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:922-926 pubmed publisher..It encompasses surveillance and monitoring, case finding, linkage to care, care coordination, increasing clinical provider capacity for screening and treatment, increasing public awareness, and primary prevention. ..
- Haley R. Controlling urban epidemics of West Nile virus infection. JAMA. 2012;308:1325-6 pubmed
- Sharp T, Moreira R, Soares M, Miguel da Costa L, Mann J, Delorey M, et al. Underrecognition of Dengue during 2013 Epidemic in Luanda, Angola. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:1311-6 pubmed publisher..Behavior associated with protection from DENV infection included recent use of mosquito repellent or a bed net. These findings suggest that the 2013 dengue epidemic was larger than indicated by passive surveillance data. ..
- Balmer S, Gobet H, Nenniger C, Hadorn D, Schwermer H, Vögtlin A. Schmallenberg virus activity in cattle in Switzerland in 2013. Vet Rec. 2015;177:289 pubmed
- Bijkerk P, Monnier A, Fanoy E, Kardamanidis K, Friesema I, Knol M. ECDC Round Table Report and ProMed-mail most useful international information sources for the Netherlands Early Warning Committee. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..We concluded that using only the ECDC RT Report and ProMed-mail to identify threats from abroad maintains a sensitive Early Warning System. ..
- Uehara A, Tissera H, Bodinayake C, Amarasinghe A, Nagahawatte A, Tillekeratne L, et al. Analysis of Dengue Serotype 4 in Sri Lanka during the 2012-2013 Dengue Epidemic. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:130-136 pubmed publisher..Sri Lanka has experienced periodic dengue outbreaks since the 1960s, but since 1989 epidemics have become progressively larger and associated with more severe disease...
- van der Lee S, Stoof S, van Ravenhorst M, van Gageldonk P, van der Maas N, Sanders E, et al. Enhanced Bordetella pertussis acquisition rate in adolescents during the 2012 epidemic in the Netherlands and evidence for prolonged antibody persistence after infection. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..A PT-IgG concentration??50 IU/mL as indication of recent infection may overestimate these numbers in cross-sectional serosurveillance and should be used carefully...
- Roberts J. THE CONTROL OF EPIDEMIC MALARIA IN THE HIGHLANDS OF WESTERN KENYA. II. THE CAMPAIGN. J Trop Med Hyg. 1964;67:191-9 CONTD pubmed
- Annan A, Yar D, Owusu M, Biney E, Forson P, Okyere P, et al. Health care workers indicate ill preparedness for Ebola Virus Disease outbreak in Ashanti Region of Ghana. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:546 pubmed publisher..Beyond knowledge acquisition, there is the need for more training from time to time to fully prepare HCWs to handle any possible EVD case. ..
- Soelberg C, Brown R, Du Vivier D, Meyer J, Ramachandran B. The US Opioid Crisis: Current Federal and State Legal Issues. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1675-1681 pubmed publisher..In addition to fighting for dollars to support drug treatment programs and education efforts, states are pursuing these lawsuits as a means of holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for misleading marketing of a dangerous product...
- . Meningococcal disease in countries of the African meningitis belt, 2012 - emerging needs and future perspectives. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2013;88:129-36 pubmed
- . Ongoing dengue epidemic - Angola, June 2013. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:504-7 pubmed..Persons returning from Africa with acute febrile illness should seek medical care, including testing for DENV infection, and suspected cases should be reported to public health authorities. ..
- Lebreton F, van Schaik W, McGuire A, Godfrey P, Griggs A, Mazumdar V, et al. Emergence of epidemic multidrug-resistant Enterococcus faecium from animal and commensal strains. MBio. 2013;4: pubmed publisher..In response to the opportunity to fill niches associated with changes in human activity, a rapidly evolving lineage emerged, a lineage responsible for the vast majority of multidrug-resistant E. faecium infections. ..