Summary: Termination of all transmission of infection by global extermination of the infectious agent through surveillance and containment (From Porta, A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 5th ed).
Publications102 found, 100 shown here
- Blankenhorn A, Cernuschi T, Zaffran M. Exceptional Financial Support for Introduction of Inactivated Polio Vaccine in Middle-Income Countries. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S52-S56 pubmed publisher..This article describes the design of the funding mechanism that was developed, its implementation and the lessons learned through this process. ..
- Nana Djeunga H, Tchouakui M, Njitchouang G, Tchatchueng Mbougua J, Nwane P, Domche A, et al. First evidence of lymphatic filariasis transmission interruption in Cameroon: Progress towards elimination. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005633 pubmed publisher..Post-MDA surveillance activities should be organized to evaluate whether recrudescence can occur. ..
- Tevi Benissan C, Okeibunor J, du Châtellier G, Assefa A, Biey J, Cheikh D, et al. Introduction of Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine and Trivalent Oral Polio Vaccine/Bivalent Oral Polio Vaccine Switch in the African Region. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S66-S75 pubmed publisher..National commitment and ownership, as well as strong coordination and collaboration between UNICEF and WHO and with partners, ensured success of this major, historic public health undertaking. ..
- Zipursky S, Patel M, Farrell M, Gonzalez A, Kachra T, Folly Y, et al. Lessons Learned From Managing the Planning and Implementation of Inactivated Polio Vaccine Introduction in Support of the Polio Endgame. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S15-S23 pubmed publisher..In many ways, the IMG's work on IPV introduction can serve as a model for other vaccine introductions, especially in an accelerated context. ..
- . Global programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis: progress report, 2013. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2014;89:409-18 pubmed
- Barreaux P, Barreaux A, Sternberg E, Suh E, Waite J, Whitehead S, et al. Priorities for Broadening the Malaria Vector Control Tool Kit. Trends Parasitol. 2017;33:763-774 pubmed publisher..Promoting complementary tools that are close to field-ready is a priority for achieving the global malaria-control targets. ..
- Colwell D, Scholl P, Losson B, Boulard C, Chaudhury M, Graf J, et al. Management of myiasis: current status and future prospects. Vet Parasitol. 2004;125:93-104 pubmed
- Kastner R, Sicuri E, Stone C, Matwale G, Onapa A, Tediosi F. How much will it cost to eradicate lymphatic filariasis? An analysis of the financial and economic costs of intensified efforts against lymphatic filariasis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005934 pubmed publisher..Thus, if eradication for LF is the objective, accelerated scale-up is projected to be the best investment. ..
- Hirve S, Kroeger A, Matlashewski G, Mondal D, Banjara M, Das P, et al. Towards elimination of visceral leishmaniasis in the Indian subcontinent-Translating research to practice to public health. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005889 pubmed publisher..This paper describes the process of the TDR's engagement and contribution to this initiative...
- . Progress toward poliomyelitis eradication--Afghanistan and Pakistan, January 2010-September 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1523-7 pubmed..Continued efforts also will be needed to enhance the safety of vaccination teams within insecure areas of both countries. ..
- Diop O, Asghar H, Gavrilin E, Moeletsi N, Benito G, Paladin F, et al. Virologic Monitoring of Poliovirus Type 2 after Oral Poliovirus Vaccine Type 2 Withdrawal in April 2016 - Worldwide, 2016-2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:538-542 pubmed publisher..To secure elimination, further monitoring is warranted to detect any use of tOPV or monovalent OPV type 2 (mOPV2). ..
- Odriozola E, Quintana A, Gonzalez V, Pasetto R, Utgés M, Bruzzone O, et al. Towards leprosy elimination by 2020: forecasts of epidemiological indicators of leprosy in Corrientes, a province of northeastern Argentina that is a pioneer in leprosy elimination. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:419-427 pubmed publisher..036 +/- 0.018 logit (MB/total of cases). Corrientes is on the way to eliminating leprosy by 2020, however the increased proportion of MB clinical forms and DG2 signals a warning for disease control efforts. ..
- . Polio surveillance: tracking progress towards eradication worldwide, 2013–2014. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:169-79 pubmed
- van den Ent M, Swift R, Anaokar S, Hegg L, Eggers R, Cochi S. Contribution of Global Polio Eradication Initiative-Funded Personnel to the Strengthening of Routine Immunization Programs in the 10 Focus Countries of the Polio Eradication and Endgame Strategic Plan. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S244-S249 pubmed publisher
- Zipursky S, Vandelaer J, Brooks A, Dietz V, Kachra T, Farrell M, et al. Polio Endgame: Lessons Learned From the Immunization Systems Management Group. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S9-S14 pubmed publisher..This article outlines 10 key factors behind the IMG's success, providing a potential set of guiding principles for the establishment and implementation of other interagency collaborations and initiatives beyond the polio sphere. ..
- Menning L, Garg G, Pokharel D, Thrush E, Farrell M, Kodio F, et al. Communications, Immunization, and Polio Vaccines: Lessons From a Global Perspective on Generating Political Will, Informing Decision-Making and Planning, and Engaging Local Support. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S24-S32 pubmed publisher..Lessons from the achievements by countries and partners will likely be drawn upon when all OPVs are completely withdrawn after polio eradication, but also may offer a useful model for other global health initiatives. ..
- Lemoine J, BONCY J, Filler S, Kachur S, Fitter D, Chang M. Haiti's Commitment to Malaria Elimination: Progress in the Face of Challenges, 2010-2016. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:43-48 pubmed publisher..The reinforcement of evidence-based approaches coupled with strong collaboration among the Ministry of Health and partners has demonstrated that malaria elimination by 2020 is a realistic prospect...
- Porter K, Diop O, Burns C, Tangermann R, Wassilak S. Tracking progress toward polio eradication - worldwide, 2013-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:415-20 pubmed..To complete and certify polio eradication, surveillance gaps must be identified and surveillance activities, including supervision, monitoring, and specimen collection, further strengthened. ..
- . Rubella and congenital rubella syndrome control and elimination - global progress, 2000-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:983-6 pubmed..AMR has started to document the elimination of measles, rubella, and CRS; in EUR, rubella incidence has decreased significantly, although outbreaks continue to occur. ..
- Evan Secor W. Water-based interventions for schistosomiasis control. Pathog Glob Health. 2014;108:246-54 pubmed publisher..Reinvigoration of laboratory, field, and human behavioral aspects of this research now will ensure that the appropriate strategies are available by the time their implementation becomes necessary. ..
- Kew O, Cochi S, Jafari H, Wassilak S, Mast E, Diop O, et al. Possible eradication of wild poliovirus type 3--worldwide, 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1031-3 pubmed..This report summarizes the evidence of possible global interruption of transmission of WPV3, based on surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) and environmental surveillance. ..
- . Roadmap to elimination standard measles and rubella surveillance. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2017;92:97-105 pubmed
- Seyoum D, Yewhalaw D, Duchateau L, Brandt P, Rosas Aguirre A, Speybroeck N. Household level spatio-temporal analysis of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria in Ethiopia. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:196 pubmed publisher..Hotspots of P. falciparum incidence in children were more stable at the geographical level and over time compared to those of P. vivax incidence during the study period. ..
- Lammie P, Eberhard M, Addiss D, Won K, Beau De Rochars M, Direny A, et al. Translating Research into Reality: Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis from Haiti. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:71-75 pubmed publisher..Ongoing research efforts involving many partners will continue to be important in resolving the challenges faced by the program today in its final efforts to achieve elimination...
- Hagan J, Wassilak S, Craig A, Tangermann R, Diop O, Burns C, et al. Progress toward polio eradication - worldwide, 2014-2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:527-31 pubmed
- Cowger T, Burns C, Sharif S, Gary H, Iber J, Henderson E, et al. The role of supplementary environmental surveillance to complement acute flaccid paralysis surveillance for wild poliovirus in Pakistan - 2011-2013. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180608 pubmed publisher..Overall, targeted ES through strategic selection of sites has important implications in the eradication endgame strategy. ..
- Farrell M, Hampton L, Shendale S, Menning L, Gonzalez A, Garon J, et al. Monitoring and Validation of the Global Replacement of tOPV with bOPV, April-May 2016. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S193-S201 pubmed publisher..These data, along with field reports suggest that monitoring and validation of the switch was efficient and effective, and that the strategies used during the process could be adapted to future stages of OPV withdrawal. ..
- Gurung S, Harris J, Eltayeb A, Hampton L, Diorditsa S, Avagyan T, et al. Experience With Inactivated Polio Vaccine Introduction and the "Switch" From Trivalent to Bivalent Oral Polio Vaccine in the World Health Organization's Western Pacific Region. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S101-S108 pubmed publisher..As the global community prepares for the full removal of all OPV from immunization programs, this need for lead time and consideration of the impact on national policies should be considered. ..
- Poy A, van den Ent M, Sosler S, Hinman A, Brown S, Sodha S, et al. Monitoring Results in Routine Immunization: Development of Routine Immunization Dashboard in Selected African Countries in the Context of the Polio Eradication Endgame Strategic Plan. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S226-S236 pubmed publisher..When measuring progress toward improving immunization systems, it is helpful to use a comprehensive approach that allows for measuring multiple dimensions of the system. ..
- Tafesse B, Tekle E, Wondwossen L, Bogale M, Fiona B, Nsubuga P, et al. Effects of polio eradication activities on routine immunization: lessons from the 2013 outbreak response in Somali region of Ethiopia. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:4 pubmed publisher..We evaluated supplemental immunization activities (SIAs), including lessons learned for their effect on the routine immunization program during the 2013 polio outbreak in Somali regional state...
- . Progress toward measles elimination--Western Pacific Region, 2009-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:443-7 pubmed
- Coura J. Chagas disease: control, elimination and eradication. Is it possible?. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2013;108:962-7 pubmed publisher..As an enzooty of wild animals and vectors, and as an anthropozoonosis, Chagas disease cannot be eradicated, but it must be controlled by transmission elimination to man. ..
- Granich R, Gupta S, Hall I, Aberle Grasse J, Hader S, Mermin J. Status and methodology of publicly available national HIV care continua and 90-90-90 targets: A systematic review. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002253 pubmed publisher..A standardized monitoring and evaluation approach could improve the use of scarce resources to achieve 90-90-90 through improved transparency, accountability, and efficiency. ..
- Nihei N. Analysis of Distribution of Vector-Borne Diseases Using Geographic Information Systems. Nihon Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2017;72:123-127 pubmed publisher..method of establishing a prompt and precise understanding of local data on disease outbreaks, from which disease eradication programs can be established...
- . Measles vaccines: WHO position paper – April 2017. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2017;92:205-27 pubmed
- Noor A, Uusiku P, Kamwi R, Katokele S, Ntomwa B, Alegana V, et al. The receptive versus current risks of Plasmodium falciparum transmission in northern Namibia: implications for elimination. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:184 pubmed publisher..These health districts should be prioritized as the cross-border control initiatives are rolled out. ..
- Perry R, Gacic Dobo M, Dabbagh A, Mulders M, Strebel P, Okwo Bele J, et al. Global control and regional elimination of measles, 2000-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:103-7 pubmed..Achieving the 2015 targets and elimination goals will require countries and their partners to raise the visibility of measles elimination and make substantial and sustained additional investments in strengthening health systems. ..
- Hankins C, Koulla Shiro S, Kilmarx P, Ferrari G, Schechter M, Kane C, et al. Ending AIDS as a public health threat by 2030: Scientific Developments from the 2016 INTEREST Conference in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Antivir Ther. 2017;22:179-184 pubmed publisher..At the closing ceremony, the Yaoundé Declaration called on African governments; UNAIDS; development, bilateral, and multilateral partners; and civil society to adopt urgent and sustained approaches to end HIV by 2030. ..
- . Progress toward eliminating onchocerciasis in the WHO Region of the Americas: verification of elimination of transmission in Mexico. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:577-81 pubmed
- Biritwum N, Garshong B, Alomatu B, de Souza D, Gyapong M, Kyelem D. Improving drug delivery strategies for lymphatic filariasis elimination in urban areas in Ghana. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005619 pubmed publisher..This paper, presents the recommendations and strategies for undertaking MDA in urban areas. ..
- Wang H, Luo H, Li L, Fan C, Hao L, Ma C, et al. Vaccine-derived poliovirus surveillance in China during 2001-2013: the potential challenge for maintaining polio free status. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:742 pubmed publisher..Until all wild, vaccine-related and Sabin polioviruses are eradicated in the world, high quality routine immunization and sensitive AFP surveillance should be maintained, focusing efforts on underserved populations in high risk areas. ..
- Ropero Alvarez A, Pérez Vilar S, Pacis Tirso C, Contreras M, El Omeiri N, Ruiz Matus C, et al. Progress in vaccination towards hepatitis B control and elimination in the Region of the Americas. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:325 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the data gathered indicate that the Region may have already achieved the 2020 WHO goal for HB control. ..
- Mulders M, Serhan F, Goodson J, Icenogle J, Johnson B, Rota P. Expansion of Surveillance for Vaccine-preventable Diseases: Building on the Global Polio Laboratory Network and the Global Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network Platforms. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S324-S330 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the WHO-coordinated laboratory networks supporting VPD surveillance and present a plan for the further development of these networks. ..
- Kerr Y, Mailhot M, Williams A, Swezy V, Quick L, Tangermann R, et al. Lessons Learned and Legacy of the Stop Transmission of Polio Program. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S316-S323 pubmed publisher..This article describes the STOP program and how it has contributed to polio eradication by building global public health workforce capacity. ..
- Wallace R, Etheart M, Ludder F, Augustin P, Fenelon N, Franka R, et al. The Health Impact of Rabies in Haiti and Recent Developments on the Path Toward Elimination, 2010-2015. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:76-83 pubmed publisher..Haiti is well situated to eliminate canine-mediated human rabies deaths in the near future and should serve as a great example to many developing countries struggling with similar barriers and limitations...
- LEVITT A, Diop O, Tangermann R, Paladin F, Kamgang J, Burns C, et al. Surveillance systems to track progress toward global polio eradication - worldwide, 2012-2013. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:356-61 pubmed
- . 489 Global programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis: progress report, 2014. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:489-504 pubmed
- Ongwae K, Bawa S, Shuaib F, Braka F, Corkum M, Isa H. Use of Dedicated Mobile Teams and Polio Volunteer Community Mobilizers to Increase Access to Zero-Dose Oral Poliovirus Vaccine and Routine Childhood Immunizations in Settlements at High Risk for Polio Transmission in Northern Nigeria. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S267-S272 pubmed publisher..The increase in the services generated represented the increasing role of the dedicated mobile teams and polio VCMs in strengthening RI. ..
- Deblina Datta S, Tangermann R, Reef S, William Schluter W, Adams A. National, Regional and Global Certification Bodies for Polio Eradication: A Framework for Verifying Measles Elimination. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S351-S354 pubmed publisher..These highly visible bodies provide a framework to be replicated to independently verify measles and rubella elimination in the regions and globally. ..
- Kassahun A, Braka F, Gallagher K, Gebriel A, Nsubuga P, M pele Kilebou P. Introducing an accountability framework for polio eradication in Ethiopia: results from the first year of implementation 2014-2015. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:12 pubmed publisher..the introduction of the accountability framework resulted in improvement in staff performance and overall program indicators for AFP surveillance. ..
- Bahl S, Kumar R, Menabde N, Thapa A, McFarland J, Swezy V, et al. Polio-free certification and lessons learned--South-East Asia region, March 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:941-6 pubmed..This report summarizes steps taken to certify polio eradication in SEAR and outlines eradication activities and lessons learned in India, the largest member state in the region and the one for which eradication was the most difficult. ..
- Rutter P, Hinman A, Hegg L, King D, Sosler S, Swezy V, et al. Transition Planning For After Polio Eradication. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S287-S292 pubmed publisher..Further detailed technical work is now needed, supported by broad and engaged debate, for this undertaking to achieve its full potential. ..
- . WHO Alliance for the Global Elimination of Blinding Trachoma by the year 2020. Progress report on elimination of trachoma, 2013. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2014;89:421-8 pubmed