fukushima nuclear accident
Summary: Nuclear power accident that occurred following the Tohoku-Kanto earthquake of March 11, 2011 in the northern region of Japan.
- Wakiyama Y, Konoplev A, Wada T, Takase T, Byrnes I, Carradine M, et al. Behavior of 137Cs in ponds in the vicinity of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:367-376 pubmed publisher..Continuous monitoring is required to reveal temporal trends in 137Cs activity concentrations of these waters and controlling factors of such in closed water systems in Fukushima. ..
- Murakami M, Tsubokura M, Ono K, Nomura S, Oikawa T. Additional risk of diabetes exceeds the increased risk of cancer caused by radiation exposure after the Fukushima disaster. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185259 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that countermeasures to mitigate diabetes are warranted. Policy-makers' and individuals' understanding of multiple risks after any disaster will be essential to saving the lives of victims. ..
- Tsukada H, Nihira S, Watanabe T, Takeda S. The 137Cs activity concentration of suspended and dissolved fractions in irrigation waters collected from the 80 km zone around TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:354-359 pubmed publisher..This shows relatively higher mobility of radiocaesium in irrigation waters may occur when there are higher contents of cations present. ..
- Shimizu Y, Iida H, Nenoi M. Trends of Training Courses Conducted in the Human Resources Development Center of the National Institute for Quantum and Radiological Science and Technology After the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident. Health Phys. 2017;113:66-70 pubmed publisher..It could be foreseen that the demand for training programs targeting young people and medical radiation experts would be elevated in future. ..
- Madigan D, Baumann Z, Snodgrass O, Dewar H, Berman Kowalewski M, Weng K, et al. Assessing Fukushima-Derived Radiocesium in Migratory Pacific Predators. Environ Sci Technol. 2017;51:8962-8971 pubmed publisher..Reported levels can inform recently developed models of cesium transport and bioaccumulation in marine species. ..
- Nagai M, Ohira T, Zhang W, Nakano H, Maeda M, Yasumura S, et al. Lifestyle-related factors that explain disaster-induced changes in socioeconomic status and poor subjective health: a cross-sectional study from the Fukushima health management survey. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:340 pubmed publisher..While disaster-induced changes in SES are unavoidable, lifestyle-related factors have the potential to attenuate the impact of these changes on poor subjective health. ..
- Leppold C, Nomura S, Sawano T, Ozaki A, Tsubokura M, Hill S, et al. Birth Outcomes after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Disaster: A Long-Term Retrospective Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Further research is needed on the pathways that may exacerbate or reduce disaster effects on maternal and perinatal health. ..
- Kim Y, Gasparrini A, Hashizume M, Honda Y, Ng C, Armstrong B. Heat-Related Mortality in Japan after the 2011 Fukushima Disaster: An Analysis of Potential Influence of Reduced Electricity Consumption. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:077005 pubmed publisher..https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP493. ..
- Nishikiori T, Suzuki S. Radiocesium decontamination of a riverside in Fukushima, Japan. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:58-64 pubmed publisher..The doses during the activities at the test site accounted for only 1-2% of the value during daily life in the surrounding area, indicating that radiation exposure during riverside activities is limited. ..
- Kashima S, Inoue K, Matsumoto M. Have the tsunami and nuclear accident following the Great East Japan Earthquake affected the local distribution of hospital physicians?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178020 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the tsunami did not affect the distribution of physicians in the affected regions. However, the FDNPP accident changed physician distribution in areas close to the power plant. ..
- Haque M, Gomi T, Sakai M, Negishi J. Developing a food web-based transfer factor of radiocesium for fish, whitespotted char (Salvelinus leucomaenis) in headwater streams. J Environ Radioact. 2017;172:191-200 pubmed publisher..TFweb is applicable for 137Cs transfer in predator-prey systems with complex food web structures of stream-riparian ecosystems. ..
- Kang S, Yoneda M, Shimada Y, Satta N, Fujita Y, Shin I. Interpreting the deposition and vertical migration characteristics of 137Cs in forest soil after the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:384 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the post-vertical distribution of 137Cs is expected to be governed by the percentage of exchangeable 137Cs in the organic layer and the organic-rich upper soil horizons. ..
- Takeishi M, Shibamichi M, Malins A, Kurikami H, Murakami M, Saegusa J, et al. Using two detectors concurrently to monitor ambient dose equivalent rates in vehicle surveys of radiocesium contaminated land. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:1-12 pubmed publisher..The ratio of ambient dose equivalent rates reported by detectors mounted at different heights in a dual-detector setup indicates whether radiocesium is deficient on the road compared to the adjacent land. ..
- Ayabe Y, Hijii N, Takenaka C. Effects of local-scale decontamination in a secondary forest contaminated after the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident. Environ Pollut. 2017;228:344-353 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that the local-scale decontamination in a secondary forest had no effect on the reduction of 137Cs contamination in the treated area. ..
- Ohba T, Hasegawa A, Kohayagawa Y, Kondo H, Suzuki G. Body Surface Contamination Levels of Residents under Different Evacuation Scenarios after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident. Health Phys. 2017;113:175-182 pubmed publisher..9 and 0.1, respectively. These data indicate that the relative contribution to inhaled thyroid dose of short-lived radionuclides in radioactive plumes released on 12 March could be as much as 37.5% in 1-y-old children. ..
- Sato M, Takase T, Yamaguchi K. Effects of bark washing and epiphytic moss on 137Cs activity concentration in bark and stemflow in Japanese persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.). J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:360-366 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the moss acts as reservoir of 137Cs, and that bark-washing decontamination can reduce the additional 137Cs supply from moss in subsequent years following the radioactive fallout. ..
- Callen J, Homma T. Lessons Learned in Protection of the Public for the Accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Health Phys. 2017;112:550-559 pubmed publisher..The focus of this paper is those insights concerning the progression of an accident due to severe conditions at a light water reactor nuclear power plant that must be understood in order to protect the public. ..
- Fujiwara H, Kuramochi H, Nomura K, Maeseto T, Osako M. Behavior of radioactive cesium during incineration of radioactively contaminated wastes from decontamination activities in Fukushima. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:290-296 pubmed publisher..This source difference causes the behavior of radiocesium during waste incineration to differ between DW and CMSW. ..
- Nohara C, Taira W, Hiyama A, Tanahara A, Takatsuji T, Otaki J. Ingestion of radioactively contaminated diets for two generations in the pale grass blue butterfly. BMC Evol Biol. 2014;14:193 pubmed publisherThe release of radioactive materials due to the Fukushima nuclear accident has raised concern regarding the biological impacts of ingesting radioactively contaminated diets on organisms...