Summary: Efforts to reduce risk, to address and reduce incidents and accidents that may negatively impact healthcare consumers.
Publications113 found, 100 shown here
- Weaver S, Lindgren T, Cadmus E, Flynn L, Thomas Hawkins C. Report From the Night Shift: How Administrative Supervisors Achieve Nurse and Patient Safety. Nurs Adm Q. 2017;41:328-336 pubmed publisher..for more than 100 years, but research is just commencing regarding how this leader achieves nurse and patient safety. This focused ethnographic study was conducted in 2 parts...
- Goldstein S. The sound judgment series. J Ultrasound Med. 2012;31:189-90 pubmed
- Hibbert R, Atwell T, Lekah A, Patel M, Carter R, McDonald J, et al. Safety of ultrasound-guided thoracentesis in patients with abnormal preprocedural coagulation parameters. Chest. 2013;144:456-463 pubmed publisher..We consider the procedure safe in patients with abnormal preprocedural parameters when performed by expert personnel. ..
- Cefalu W, Bray G, Home P, Garvey W, Klein S, Pi Sunyer F, et al. Advances in the Science, Treatment, and Prevention of the Disease of Obesity: Reflections From a Diabetes Care Editors' Expert Forum. Diabetes Care. 2015;38:1567-82 pubmed
- Escher C, Creutzfeldt J, Meurling L, Hedman L, Kjellin A, Fellander Tsai L. Medical students' situational motivation to participate in simulation based team training is predicted by attitudes to patient safety. BMC Med Educ. 2017;17:37 pubmed publisherb>Patient safety education, as well as the safety climate at clinical rotations, has an impact on students' attitudes...
- Hino M, Mihara T, Miyazaki S, Hijikata T, Miwa T, Goto T, et al. Development and Validation of a Risk Scale for Emergence Agitation After General Anesthesia in Children: A Prospective Observational Study. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:550-555 pubmed publisher..The EA risk scale could be used to predict EA in children and adopt a preventive strategy for those at high risk. This score-based preventive approach should be studied prospectively to assess the safety and efficacy of such a strategy. ..
- Xu J, Reale C, Slagle J, Anders S, Shotwell M, Dresselhaus T, et al. Facilitated Nurse Medication-Related Event Reporting to Improve Medication Management Quality and Safety in Intensive Care Units. Nurs Res. 2017;66:337-349 pubmed publisher..Facilitated MRE reporting provides a robust information source about potential breakdowns in medication management safety and opportunities for system improvement. ..
- Soelberg C, Brown R, Du Vivier D, Meyer J, Ramachandran B. The US Opioid Crisis: Current Federal and State Legal Issues. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1675-1681 pubmed publisher..In addition to fighting for dollars to support drug treatment programs and education efforts, states are pursuing these lawsuits as a means of holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for misleading marketing of a dangerous product...
- Bengtsson U, Hylander L. Increased mercury emissions from modern dental amalgams. Biometals. 2017;30:277-283 pubmed publisher..These modern high copper amalgams are nowadays totally dominating the European, US and other markets, resulting in significant emissions of mercury, not considered when judging their suitability for dental restoration. ..
- Scott I, Soon J, Elshaug A, Lindner R. Countering cognitive biases in minimising low value care. Med J Aust. 2017;206:407-411 pubmed..These debiasing strategies have considerable face validity and, for some, effectiveness in reducing low value care has been shown in randomised trials. ..
- Waldman A, Bolotin D, Arndt K, Dover J, Geronemus R, Chapas A, et al. ASDS Guidelines Task Force: Consensus Recommendations Regarding the Safety of Lasers, Dermabrasion, Chemical Peels, Energy Devices, and Skin Surgery During and After Isotretinoin Use. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43:1249-1262 pubmed publisher..Superficial and focal dermabrasion may also be safe when performed by a well-trained clinician. ..
- Tan A, Lee C, Lin P, Cooper S, Lau L, Chua W, et al. Designing and evaluating the effectiveness of a serious game for safe administration of blood transfusion: A randomized controlled trial. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;55:38-44 pubmed publisher..Given the flexibility, practicality, and scalability of such a game, they can serve as a promising approach to optimize learning when blended with high-fidelity simulation. ..
- Song J, Yang N, Lee C. Local Anesthesia for Endovascular Treatment of Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms: Feasibility, Safety, and Periprocedural Complications. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:694-701 pubmed publisher..99 ± 0.1 days, and the mean postoperative hospital stay was 3.6 ± 7.2 days. Local anesthesia in the EVT of UIA is feasible and safe. It could be considered as an alternative for the patients with high risk of general anesthesia. ..
- Osborne R, Parshuram C. Delinking resident duty hours from patient safety. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S2 pubmed publisherb>Patient safety is a powerful motivating force for change in modern medicine, and is often cited as a rationale for reducing resident duty hours...
- Makipour J, Nuveen E, Abbott D. Safety of Outpatient Circumferential Body Lift: Evidence from 42 Consecutive Cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1355-1362 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, it safe to offer outpatient lower body lifts to appropriately chosen patients. Therapeutic, IV. ..
- Olszewski J, WrzesieÅ„ M. [Evaluation of dental X-ray apparatus in terms of patient exposure to ionizing radiation]. Med Pr. 2017;68:491-496 pubmed publisher..Jak wynika z przeprowadzonych badaÅ„, znakomita wiÄ™kszoÅ›Ä‡ aparatÃ³w rtg. punktowych speÅ‚nia wymagania okreÅ›lone w przepisach. Med. Pr. 2017;68(4):491â€“496. ..
- Kipps A, Poole S, Slaney C, Feehan S, Longhurst C, Sharek P, et al. Inpatient-Derived Vital Sign Parameters Implementation: An Initiative to Decrease Alarm Burden. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Implementation of data-driven HR and iteratively derived RR parameters safely decreased the total alarm frequency by 21% in a pediatric acute care unit. ..
- Banaszak Holl J, Reichert H, Todd Greene M, Mody L, Wald H, Crnich C, et al. Do Safety Culture Scores in Nursing Homes Depend on Job Role and Ownership? Results from a National Survey. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2244-2250 pubmed publisher..Staff responses to the Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture (NHSOPS), focused on five domains (teamwork, training and skills, communication openness, supervisor ..
- de Waard M, Biermann H, Brinckman S, Appelman Y, Driessen R, Polderman K, et al. Automated peritoneal lavage: an extremely rapid and safe way to induce hypothermia in post-resuscitation patients. Crit Care. 2013;17:R31 pubmed publisher..This opens the way to investigate the effects on neurological outcome and survival of ultra-rapid cooling compared to standard cooling in controlled trials in various patient groups. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01016236 ..
- Tumbarello M, De Pascale G, Trecarichi E, De Martino S, Bello G, Maviglia R, et al. Effect of aerosolized colistin as adjunctive treatment on the outcomes of microbiologically documented ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by colistin-only susceptible gram-negative bacteria. Chest. 2013;144:1768-1775 pubmed publisher..001), and AKI onset during colistin treatment (P = .04) were independently associated with clinical failure. Our results suggest that AS colistin might be a beneficial adjunct to IV colistin in the management of VAP caused by COS GNB. ..
- Masterson M, Shrichand P, Maniate J. Resident duty hours in Canada: a survey and national statement. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S9 pubmed publisher..Further, residents should be formally trained in handover skills and alternative duty hour models. ..
- Muzeyen R, Ayichiluhm M, Manyazewal T. Legal rights to safe abortion: knowledge and attitude of women in North-West Ethiopia toward the current Ethiopian abortion law. Public Health. 2017;148:129-136 pubmed publisher..Countries such as Ethiopia with high maternal mortality records need to lift high-impact interventions that would trigger women to understand and exercise their legal rights to safe abortion and other reproductive health securities. ..
- Bernstein P, Martin J, Barton J, Shields L, Druzin M, Scavone B, et al. National Partnership for Maternal Safety: Consensus Bundle on Severe Hypertension During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:540-547 pubmed publisher..To assist health care providers in achieving this goal, this patient safety bundle provides guidance to coordinate and standardize the care provided to women with severe hypertension ..
- Bae D, Lynch H, Jamieson K, Yu Moe C, Roussin C. Improved Safety and Cost Savings from Reductions in Cast-Saw Burns After Simulation-Based Education for Orthopaedic Surgery Residents. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:e94 pubmed publisher..These results support further investment in simulation-based training as cost-effective means of improving patient safety and clinical outcomes. Therapeutic Level III...
- Wang Y, Haines T, Ritchie P, Walker C, Ansell T, Ryan D, et al. Early mobilization on continuous renal replacement therapy is safe and may improve filter life. Crit Care. 2014;18:R161 pubmed publisher..Australian and New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12611000733976 (registered 13 July 2011). ..
- Fujita S, Seto K, Kitazawa T, Matsumoto K, Hasegawa T. Characteristics of unit-level patient safety culture in hospitals in Japan: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014;14:508 pubmed publisherb>Patient safety culture (PSC) has an important role in determining safety and quality in healthcare. Currently, little is known about the status of unit-level PSC in hospitals in Japan...
- Bartz Kurycki M, Anderson K, Abraham J, Masada K, Wang J, Kawaguchi A, et al. Debriefing: the forgotten phase of the surgical safety checklist. J Surg Res. 2017;213:222-227 pubmed publisher..Future efforts to augment adherence are needed and will include interventions targeting the debriefing phase and increasing operating room efficiency. ..
- Molina G, Berry W, Lipsitz S, Edmondson L, Li Z, Neville B, et al. Perception of Safety of Surgical Practice Among Operating Room Personnel From Survey Data Is Associated With All-cause 30-day Postoperative Death Rate in South Carolina. Ann Surg. 2017;266:658-666 pubmed publisher..To evaluate whether the perception of safety of surgical practice among operating room (OR) personnel is associated with hospital-level 30-day postoperative death...
- Hermans B, Vink A, Bennis F, Filippini L, Meijborg V, Wilde A, et al. The development and validation of an easy to use automatic QT-interval algorithm. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184352 pubmed publisher..Our automated algorithm provides reliable beat-to-beat QT-interval assessment, robust to heart axis and T-wave morphology. ..
- Hill J, Janko M, Angell K, Day K, Noujaim M, Kalil J, et al. Hospital text paging communication as a surgical quality improvement initiative. J Surg Res. 2017;213:84-89 pubmed publisher..Paging data were again recorded for 1 mo, surveys repeated, and patient safety and satisfaction data collected. Primary endpoints evaluated included patient safety and satisfaction data...
- Svirydzenka N, Ronzoni P, Dogra N. Meaning and barriers to quality care service provision in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: Qualitative study of stakeholder perspectives. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:151 pubmed publisher..However, the composite responses of the respondents enable us to develop a more complete picture of how to improve quality care in practice and guide future research in the area. ..
- Buxton K, Morgan A, Rogers J. Nurse Practitioner Lead Pediatric Baclofen Pump Program: Impact on Safety and Quality of Care. J Neurosci Nurs. 2017;49:324-329 pubmed publisher..The NP is able to use this knowledge and relationship as concerns arise that could be related to the ITB therapy. This has greatly improved the safety and quality of care for patients using ITB therapy at our institution. ..
- Wolk M, Bailey S, Doherty J, Douglas P, Hendel R, Kramer C, et al. ACCF/AHA/ASE/ASNC/HFSA/HRS/SCAI/SCCT/SCMR/STS 2013 multimodality appropriate use criteria for the detection and risk assessment of stable ischemic heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task . J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:380-406 pubmed publisher..Imaging for an exercise prescription or prior to the initiation of cardiac rehabilitation was Rarely Appropriate except for cardiac rehabilitation clearance for heart failure patients. ..
- Abbing H. Medical confidentiality and patient safety: reporting procedures. Eur J Health Law. 2014;21:245-59 pubmed..Medical confidentiality should be a subject of permanent education of health personnel. ..
- Philibert I. Resident perspectives on duty hour limits and attributes of their learning environment. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S7 pubmed publisher..to duty hour compliance, and looks for evidence whether residents view duty hour limits as important to patient safety. A grounded-theory framework was used to analyze learners' comments about programs' compliance with US duty ..
- Holdsworth C, Kukluk J, Molodowitch C, Czerminska M, Hancox C, Cormack R, et al. Computerized System for Safety Verification of External Beam Radiation Therapy Planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:691-698 pubmed publisher..metrics of plan revisions and incident reports suggests automatic RT plan-checking software enhances patient safety and clinical efficiency...
- Crooks E. Forever Hold Your Peace: When Preprocedure Safety Concerns Are Missed. Am J Nurs. 2017;117:11 pubmed publisher..A near-miss experience highlights a limitation of time-out protocols. ..
- Jang H, Lee N. Patient safety competency and educational needs of nursing educators in South Korea. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183536 pubmed publisherNursing educators must be qualified to teach patient safety to nursing students to ensure patient safety in the clinical field...
- Wiesener S, Salamonsen A, FÃ¸nnebÃ¸ V. Which risk understandings can be derived from the current disharmonized regulation of complementary and alternative medicine in Europe?. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:11 pubmed publisher..most CAM treatments are practiced fairly similarly across Europe, differing risk understandings may influence patient safety for European CAM users...
- Johnson K, Lehmann C. Electronic prescribing in pediatrics: toward safer and more effective medication management. Pediatrics. 2013;131:e1350-6 pubmed publisher..This report supports the accompanying policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics recommending the adoption of e-prescribing by pediatric health care providers. ..
- Melzer J, Hamersley E, Gallagher T. Use of a Novel Airway Kit and Simulation in Resident Training on Emergent Pediatric Airways. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;156:1048-1053 pubmed publisher..kit and implementation with simulation to improve resident response to emergencies with the goal of improving patient safety. Methods Prospective study with 9 otolaryngology residents (postgraduate years 1-5) from our tertiary care ..
- Reeves S, Clark E, Lawton S, Ream M, Ross F. Examining the nature of interprofessional interventions designed to promote patient safety: a narrative review. Int J Qual Health Care. 2017;29:144-150 pubmed publisherThis narrative review aimed to scope the patient safety literature to identify interprofessional intervention approaches, sources of evidence and reported outcomes. Two major databases (MEDLINE and CINAHL) were searched from 2005 to 2015...
- Lelieur F, Cabelguenne D, Marcel M, Favier C, Piriou V. [IV drug perfusions: safety principles]. Rev Infirm. 2017;66:41-43 pubmed publisher..To manage these risks, caregivers must respect, in addition to the usual hygiene rules, a series of best practices, ensuring the proper use and management of the medical devices and administered drugs. ..
- Kurzyna M, Darocha S, Pietura R, Pietrasik A, Norwa J, Mańczak R, et al. Changing the strategy of balloon pulmonary angioplasty resulted in a reduced complication rate in patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. A single-centre European experience. Kardiol Pol. 2017;75:645-654 pubmed publisher..19 ± 0.48 vs. 1.97 ± 0.80; p < 0.001). Balloon pulmonary angioplasty improves haemodynamics and outcome but requires refined strategy to limit early complication rate. ..
- Neville K, Velmer G, Brown S, Robol N. A Pilot Study to Examine the Relationship Between Napping and Fatigue in Nurses Practicing on the Night Shift. J Nurs Adm. 2017;47:581-586 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study is to explore the relationship of night-shift napping on fatigue...
- Kirby J, Kaneda T. 'Double jeopardy' measure suggests blacks and hispanics face more severe disparities than previously indicated. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013;32:1766-72 pubmed publisher..These life expectancy measures--designed for ease of use by policy makers, researchers, and the general public--have the potential to reframe the discussion of disparities and monitor progress toward their elimination. ..
- Gleeson J, Lederman R, Wadley G, Bendall S, McGorry P, Alvarez Jimenez M. Safety and privacy outcomes from a moderated online social therapy for young people with first-episode psychosis. Psychiatr Serv. 2014;65:546-50 pubmed publisher..Testing the intervention in a randomized controlled trial is warranted. ..
- Lee A, Mills P, Neily J, Hemphill R. Root cause analysis of serious adverse events among older patients in the Veterans Health Administration. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2014;40:253-62 pubmed..The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS) stores data about serious adverse events when a root cause analysis (RCA) has been performed...
- Langelaan M, Baines R, de Bruijne M, Wagner C. Association of admission and patient characteristics with quality of discharge letters: posthoc analysis of a retrospective study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:225 pubmed publisher..There was a significant variation in missing discharge letters between hospitals and between hospital departments. The quality of discharge letters varies with patient and admission characteristics. ..
- Jazowski S, Winn A. The Role of the FDA and Regulatory Approval of New Devices for Diabetes Care. Curr Diab Rep. 2017;17:40 pubmed publisher..Clinicians must be aware of the evolving regulatory landscape and play an active role in enhancing patient safety.
- Kuy S, Romero R. Improving staff perception of a safety climate with crew resource management training. J Surg Res. 2017;213:177-183 pubmed publisherCommunication failure is one of the top root causes in patient safety adverse events. Crew resource management (CRM) is a team building communication process intended to improve patient safety by improving team dynamics...
- Фастовец М, Белорус А, Лысак В, Зюзина Л, Ковалева Е. [Incidence of adverse medical events in the neonatal intensive care unit with the help of a global trigger tool]. Wiad Lek. 2017;70:483-488 pubmed..Our results can form the basis for the development of a national neonatal trigger instrument that will effectively monitor the frequency of such events in the ICU of newborn. ..
- Singh H. Editorial: Helping health care organizations to define diagnostic errors as missed opportunities in diagnosis. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2014;40:99-101 pubmed
- Badnjevic A, Gurbeta L, Jimenez E, Iadanza E. Testing of mechanical ventilators and infant incubators in healthcare institutions. Technol Health Care. 2017;25:237-250 pubmed publisher..The results show that 30% of the tested medical devices are not operating properly and should be serviced, recalibrated and/or removed from daily application. ..
- Schiff G, Reyes Nieva H, Griswold P, Leydon N, Ling J, Federico F, et al. Randomized Trial of Reducing Ambulatory Malpractice and Safety Risk: Results of the Massachusetts PROMISES Project. Med Care. 2017;55:797-805 pubmed publisher..A consortium of stakeholders, quality improvement tools, coaches, and learning network decreased selected ambulatory safety risks often seen in malpractice claims. ..
- Augustynowicz E, Lutynska A, Piotrowska A, Paradowska Stankiewicz I. The safety and effectiveness of vaccination against influenza and pertussis in pregnant women. Przegl Epidemiol. 2017;71:55-67 pubmed..Popularization of knowledge about the importance of immunization in this group and educating pregnant women about vaccination should be an essential element of health promotion and prevention programs. ..
- Lambertini M, Goldrat O, Toss A, Azim H, Peccatori F, Ignatiadis M, et al. Fertility and pregnancy issues in BRCA-mutated breast cancer patients. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;59:61-70 pubmed publisher..The final goal of this manuscript is to highlight current and upcoming knowledge in this field for trying to help physicians dealing with these patients during oncofertility counseling. ..
- Stiede K, Miao W, Blanchette H, Beysen C, Harriman G, Harwood H, et al. Acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase inhibition reduces de novo lipogenesis in overweight male subjects: A randomized, double-blind, crossover study. Hepatology. 2017;66:324-334 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NDI-010976 could contribute considerable value to the treatment algorithm of metabolic disorders characterized by dysregulated fatty acid metabolism, including nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. (Hepatology 2017;66:324-334). ..
- Sauro K, Quan H, Sikdar K, Faris P, Jette N. Hospital safety among neurologic patients: A population-based cohort study of adverse events. Neurology. 2017;89:284-290 pubmed publisher..The findings provide information on the quality and safety of care for people with neurologic conditions in hospital, which can help inform future quality improvement initiatives. ..
- Thornton K, Schwarz J, Gross A, Anderson W, Liu K, Romig M, et al. Preventing Harm in the ICU-Building a Culture of Safety and Engaging Patients and Families. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1531-1537 pubmed publisher..Print and web-based resources from leading patient safety organizations were also searched...
- Raees M, Mazhar D, Christensen J, Parra D, Killen S, Bichell D. Bidirectional Inferior Cavopulmonary Anastomosis: Pre-Fontan Interim Palliation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e329-e331 pubmed publisher..This case demonstrates how a bidirectional inferior cavopulmonary anastomosis is feasible in the human and can provide similar hemodynamic results as the bidirectional superior cavopulmonary anastomosis. ..
- MacLennan A, Morrison R. Tertiary education institutions should not offer pseudoscientific medical courses. Med J Aust. 2012;196:225-6 pubmed
- Stoeppel C, Eriksson E, Hawkins K, Eastman A, Wolf S, Minei J, et al. Applicability of the National Healthcare Safety Network's surveillance definition of ventilator-associated events in the surgical intensive care unit: a 1-year review. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014;77:934-7 pubmed publisher..Most surgical patients are not well categorized by this new definition; a better method of surveillance should be created for this patient population. Diagnostic study, level III. ..
- Lin Y, Chang S, Wang L. [Is It Time to Implement a 12-Hour Shift for Nurses in Taiwan?]. Hu Li Za Zhi. 2017;64:124-129 pubmed publisher..Primary concerns regarding this system include patient safety, nurse fatigue, and the potential negative effects on the sleep quality of nurses...
- Huybrechts K, Desai R, Park M, Gagne J, Najafzadeh M, Avorn J. The Potential Return on Public Investment in Detecting Adverse Drug Effects. Med Care. 2017;55:545-551 pubmed publisher..5 million at present. These examples illustrate a critical and economically justifiable role for active adverse effect surveillance in protecting the health of the public. ..
- Pourciau D, Hotard D, Hayley S, Hayley K, Sutton C, McWhorter A, et al. Safety and efficacy of laryngeal mask airway ventilation in obese patients with airway stenosis. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2582-2584 pubmed publisher..In this small series of obese patients with airway stenosis, LMA anesthesia was effectively used without major or minor complications. 4. Laryngoscope, 127:2582-2584, 2017. ..
- Williams G, Muffly M, Mendoza J, Wixson N, Leong K, Claure R. Reporting of Perioperative Adverse Events by Pediatric Anesthesiologists at a Tertiary Children's Hospital: Targeted Interventions to Increase the Rate of Reporting. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1515-1523 pubmed publisherIncident reporting systems (IRSs) are important patient safety tools for identifying risks and opportunities for improvement. A major IRS limitation is underreporting of incidents...
- Haycock C, Schandl A. A New Tool for Quality: The Internal Audit. Nurs Adm Q. 2017;41:321-327 pubmed publisher..This partnership between quality and audit can be a powerful tool and produce insights that can be scaled across a large health care system. ..
- Skupski D, Brady D, Lowenwirt I, Sample J, Lin S, Lohana R, et al. Improvement in Outcomes of Major Obstetric Hemorrhage Through Systematic Change. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:770-777 pubmed publisher..A sustained level of patient safety is achievable when treating major obstetric hemorrhage, as shown by a progressive decrease in morbidity ..