Genomes and Genes
Summary: The volatile portions of chemical substances perceptible by the sense of smell.
- Kepchia D, Sherman B, Haddad R, Luetje C. Mammalian odorant receptor tuning breadth persists across distinct odorant panels. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185329 pubmed publisher..These results support the idea that variation in tuning breadth among these three ORs is not an artifact of the screening protocol, but is an intrinsic property of the receptors. ..
- Schleyer M, Miura D, Tanimura T, Gerber B. Learning the specific quality of taste reinforcement in larval Drosophila. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Given that animals as simple as larval Drosophila, endowed with but 10,000 neurons, operate with both reinforcement value and quality, we suggest that both are fundamental aspects of mnemonic processing-in any brain. ..
- Shahidi F, Rubin L, D Souza L. Meat flavor volatiles: a review of the composition, techniques of analysis, and sensory evaluation. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 1986;24:141-243 pubmed..The field of meat flavor is assessed in terms of what has been accomplished and the direction in which it may proceed. Techniques for analysis of these volatiles are briefly described. ..
- Schranz M, Lorber K, Klos K, Kerschbaumer J, Buettner A. Influence of the chemical structure on the odor qualities and odor thresholds of guaiacol-derived odorants, Part 1: Alkylated, alkenylated and methoxylated derivatives. Food Chem. 2017;232:808-819 pubmed publisher..The smell impressions, on the other hand, were quite consistent. ..
- Wu R, Liu Y, Wang L, Li B, Xu F. Activity Patterns Elicited by Airflow in the Olfactory Bulb and Their Possible Functions. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10700-10711 pubmed publisherOlfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) can sense both odorants and airflows. In the olfactory bulb (OB), the coding of odor information has been well studied, but the coding of mechanical stimulation is rarely investigated...
- Lin C, Prokop Prigge K, Preti G, Potter C. Food odors trigger Drosophila males to deposit a pheromone that guides aggregation and female oviposition decisions. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..9-Tricosene thus functions via Or7a to link food-odor perception with aggregation and egg-laying decisions. ..
- Jiang H, Schuele S, Rosenow J, Zelano C, Parvizi J, Tao J, et al. Theta Oscillations Rapidly Convey Odor-Specific Content in Human Piriform Cortex. Neuron. 2017;94:207-219.e4 pubmed publisher..Together these findings suggest that human piriform cortex has access to olfactory content in the time-frequency domain and can utilize these signals to rapidly differentiate odor stimuli. ..
- Villar P, Delgado R, Vergara C, Reyes J, Bacigalupo J. Energy Requirements of Odor Transduction in the Chemosensory Cilia of Olfactory Sensory Neurons Rely on Oxidative Phosphorylation and Glycolytic Processing of Extracellular Glucose. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5736-5743 pubmed publisher..We support that odor transduction relies on ATP generated by oxidative phosphorylation in the dendrite and glycolytically in the cilia using glucose internalized from the mucus. ..
- Krestel D, Passe D, Smith J, Jonsson L. Behavioral determination of olfactory thresholds to amyl acetate in dogs. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1984;8:169-74 pubmed..It was determined that the olfactory sensitivity of the dogs was about 2.5 log units better than that of the human subjects. ..
- Rozenkrantz L, Mayo A, Ilan T, Hart Y, Noy L, Alon U. Placebo can enhance creativity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182466 pubmed publisher..This approach opens the way to explore the behavioral and neural mechanisms by which placebo might amplify creativity. ..
- Busula A, Takken W, de Boer J, Mukabana W, Verhulst N. Variation in host preferences of malaria mosquitoes is mediated by skin bacterial volatiles. Med Vet Entomol. 2017;31:320-326 pubmed publisher..The identification of these bacterial volatiles can contribute to the development of an odour blend that attracts mosquitoes with different host preferences. ..
- Bai X, Zhang T, Qu Z, Li H, Yang Z. Contribution of filamentous fungi to the musty odorant 2,4,6-trichloroanisole in water supply reservoirs and associated drinking water treatment plants. Chemosphere. 2017;182:223-230 pubmed publisher..These findings increase our understanding on the mechanisms involved in the formation of 2,4,6-TCA and provide insights into managing and controlling 2,4,6-TCA-related problems in drinking water. ..
- Wang M, Cai E, Fujiwara N, Fones L, Brown E, Yanagawa Y, et al. Odorant Sensory Input Modulates DNA Secondary Structure Formation and Heterogeneous Ribonucleoprotein Recruitment on the Tyrosine Hydroxylase and Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase 1 Promoters in the Olfactory Bulb. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4778-4789 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that Th and Gad1 share a transcription regulatory mechanism that facilitates odorant-dependent regulation of dopamine and GABA expression levels. ..
- Han J, Han G. A procedure for quantitative determination of tris(2-carboxyethyl)phosphine, an odorless reducing agent more stable and effective than dithiothreitol. Anal Biochem. 1994;220:5-10 pubmed..5, TCEP is still capable of reducing 2,2'-DTDP effectively at this pH. Thus, if TCEP and thiols are simultaneously present, the concentration of TCEP can be selectively determined by using 2,2'-DTDP at very low pH. ..
- Kücklich M, Möller M, Marcillo A, Einspanier A, Weiß B, Birkemeyer C, et al. Different methods for volatile sampling in mammals. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183440 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, cotton swabs capture compounds which still may contribute to the body odor, e.g. after bacterial fermentation, while profiles from mobile GC-MS include only the most abundant volatiles of the body odor. ..
- Raffo A, Masci M, Moneta E, Nicoli S, Sánchez Del Pulgar J, Paoletti F. Characterization of volatiles and identification of odor-active compounds of rocket leaves. Food Chem. 2018;240:1161-1170 pubmed publisher..Relatively high odor potency was observed for 1-octen-3-one, (E)-2-octenal and 1-penten-3-one. ..
- Beauchamp R, Bus J, Popp J, Boreiko C, Andjelkovich D. A critical review of the literature on hydrogen sulfide toxicity. Crit Rev Toxicol. 1984;13:25-97 pubmed..The majority of the references in the first bibliography were considered peripheral information and less appropriate for inclusion in this report. ..
- Tsuruta M, Takahashi T, Tokunaga M, Iwasaki M, Kataoka S, Kakuta S, et al. Relationships between pathologic subjective halitosis, olfactory reference syndrome, and social anxiety in young Japanese women. BMC Psychol. 2017;5:7 pubmed publisher..Preoccupations with mouth and body odors also influenced pathologic subjective halitosis. Social anxiety may be a causal factor of pathologic subjective halitosis and olfactory reference syndrome. ..
- Elsharif S, Buettner A. Structure-Odor Relationship Study on Geraniol, Nerol, and Their Synthesized Oxygenated Derivatives. J Agric Food Chem. 2018;66:2324-2333 pubmed publisher..Overall, we observed that oxygenation on C-8 affects mainly the odor quality, whereas the E/ Z position of the functional group on C-1 affects the odor potency. ..
- Liu Z, Chen Z, Shang C, Yan F, Shi Y, Zhang J, et al. IGF1-Dependent Synaptic Plasticity of Mitral Cells in Olfactory Memory during Social Learning. Neuron. 2017;95:106-122.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal a synaptic substrate for a socially conditioned long-term memory that operates at the level of the initial processing of sensory information. ..
- Kroener E, Buettner A. Unravelling important odorants in horseradish (Armoracia rusticana). Food Chem. 2017;232:455-465 pubmed publisher..b>Odorants were characterised by means of gas chromatography-olfactometry and identified via their mass spectra, retention ..
- Mahmoud M, Buettner A. Characterisation of aroma-active and off-odour compounds in German rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Part II: Case of fish meat and skin from earthen-ponds farming. Food Chem. 2017;232:841-849 pubmed publisher..rainbow trout aquaculture farming in Germany were investigated with a special focus on musty-earthy off-odorants. To this aim, fish meat and skin were extracted using solvent-assisted flavour evaporation (SAFE) and were mildly ..
- Meng Q, Imamura M, Katayama H, Obata A, Sugawara E. Key compounds contributing to the fruity aroma characterization in Japanese raw soy sauce. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1984-1989 pubmed publisher..Fruitiness is one of the key aroma characteristics of RS and the ethyl esters identified in this study are the key components contributing to this distinct aroma. ..
- Batista E, Ngowo H, Opiyo M, Shubis G, Meza F, Okumu F, et al. Semi-field assessment of the BG-Malaria trap for monitoring the African malaria vector, Anopheles arabiensis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186696 pubmed publisher..1). The findings demonstrate potential of the BGM as a sampling tool for African malaria vectors over the standard BGS trap. Its efficacy can be optimized by selecting appropriate odour baits and odour-dispensing systems...
- Saini R, Orindi B, Mbahin N, Andoke J, Muasa P, Mbuvi D, et al. Protecting cows in small holder farms in East Africa from tsetse flies by mimicking the odor profile of a non-host bovid. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005977 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate these repellents in the field to protect cattle from nagana by making cattle as unattractive as the buck...
- Das P, Morawo T, Fadamiro H. Plant-associated odor perception and processing in two parasitoid species with different degrees of host specificity: Implications for host location strategies. J Insect Physiol. 2017;101:169-177 pubmed publisher..These differences in detection and coding of single compounds and mixtures may impact host location strategies in the two parasitoid species. ..
- Mosienko V, Chang A, Alenina N, Teschemacher A, Kasparov S. Rodents and humans are able to detect the odour of L-Lactate. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178478 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in mice, LL perception is not purely mediated by Olfr78. Discovery of further LL-sensitive OR might shed the light on their contribution to LL signalling in the body. ..
- Kepchia D, Moliver S, Chohan K, Phillips C, Luetje C. Inhibition of insect olfactory behavior by an airborne antagonist of the insect odorant receptor co-receptor subunit. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177454 pubmed publisher..was also shown to inhibit odorant activation of a panel of Anopheles gambiae mosquito ORs activated by diverse odorants. Next, we asked whether Orco antagonist OX1w could affect insect olfactory behavior...
- Strauch M, Müthing C, Broeg M, Szyszka P, Münch D, Laudes T, et al. The looks of an odour--visualising neural odour response patterns in real time. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14 Suppl 19:S6 pubmed publisher..Apart from supporting neurobiology, the software allows for utilising the insect antenna as a chemosensor, e.g. to detect or to classify odours. ..
- Mani M, Morén S, Thorvardsson O, Jakobsson O, Skoog V, Holmstrom M. EDITOR'S CHOICE: objective assessment of the nasal airway in unilateral cleft lip and palate--a long-term study. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2010;47:217-24 pubmed publisher..However, the measurements used did not differentiate between patients operated on with the one-stage and two-stage procedures except for values of the noncleft side. ..
- Tadeo E, MuÃ±iz E, Rull J, Yee W, Aluja M, Lasa R. Development of a Low-Cost and Effective Trapping Device for Apple Maggot Fly (Diptera: Tephritidae) Monitoring and Control in Mexican Commercial Hawthorn Groves. J Econ Entomol. 2017;110:1658-1667 pubmed publisher..These trials open the door for future research into development of a conventional nonadherent trap to monitor or control R. pomonella. ..
- Joussain P, Ferdenzi C, Djordjevic J, Bensafi M. Relationship Between Psychophysiological Responses to Aversive Odors and Nutritional Status During Normal Aging. Chem Senses. 2017;42:465-472 pubmed publisher..Twenty young and 20 old participants perceived a series of odorants while their psychophysiological responses were simultaneously measured, and completed the Mini-Nutritional ..
- Ramasubbu D, Smith V, Hayden F, Cronin P. Systemic antibiotics for treating malignant wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;8:CD011609 pubmed publisher..The aim of antibiotic therapy is to successfully eliminate these bacteria, reduce associated symptoms, such as odour, and promote wound healing...
- Nakanishi A, Fukushima Y, Miyazawa N, Yoshikawa K, Maeda T, Kurobayashi Y. Quantitation of Rotundone in Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) Peel and Juice by Stable Isotope Dilution Assay. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:5026-5033 pubmed publisher..This sensory analysis revealed that rotundone does not impart a woody odor or affect any of the existing attributes, but increases various attributes, thus confirming that rotundone is indispensable for the aroma of grapefruit juice. ..
- Polster J, Schieberle P. Structure-Odor Correlations in Homologous Series of Mercaptoalkanols. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:4329-4340 pubmed publisher..Retention indices, NMR data, and mass spectra for 49 mercaptoalkanols, most of them synthetically prepared for the first time, are supplied. ..
- Lee J, Rai P, Jeon Y, Kim K, Kwon E. The role of algae and cyanobacteria in the production and release of odorants in water. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:252-262 pubmed publisher..disturbance in aquatic systems and can lead to diverse changes in ecosystems along with increased production of odorants. In general, because algal and cyanobacterial odors vary in chemistry and intensity according to blooming pattern,..
- Wolf S, Gelis L, Dörrich S, Hatt H, Kraft P. Evidence for a shape-based recognition of odorants in vivo in the human nose from an analysis of the molecular mechanism of lily-of-the-valley odorants detection in the Lilial and Bourgeonal family using the C/Si/Ge/Sn switch strategy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182147 pubmed publisher..e. the van der Waals surface, and electrostatics of the odorants. Furthermore, we show that a single olfactory receptor type is responsible for odor detection of Bourgeonal at ..
- Wallace J, Wienisch M, Murthy V. Development and Refinement of Functional Properties of Adult-Born Neurons. Neuron. 2017;96:883-896.e7 pubmed publisher..We found that abGCs can become responsive to odorants soon after they arrive in the olfactory bulb...
- Doty R, Golbe L, McKeown D, Stern M, Lehrach C, Crawford D. Olfactory testing differentiates between progressive supranuclear palsy and idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Neurology. 1993;43:962-5 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that patients with PSP and PD differ markedly in their ability to smell and suggest that olfactory testing may be useful in their differential diagnosis. ..
- Milet Pinheiro P, Ayasse M, Dobson H, Schlindwein C, Francke W, Dötterl S. The chemical basis of host-plant recognition in a specialized bee pollinator. J Chem Ecol. 2013;39:1347-60 pubmed..We conclude that highly specific floral volatiles play a key role in host-flower recognition by this pollen-specialist bee, and discuss our findings into the broader context of host-recognition in oligolectic bees. ..
- Elsharif S, Buettner A. Influence of the chemical structure on the odor characters of ?-citronellol and its oxygenated derivatives. Food Chem. 2017;232:704-711 pubmed publisher..8-Oxocitronellyl acetate was the only compound that was described with divergent odor attributes, namely musty, rotten and coconut-like. 8-Carboxycitronellol and 8-carboxycitronellyl acetate were found to be odorless. ..
- Yu Q, Plotto A, Baldwin E, Bai J, Huang M, Yu Y, et al. Proteomic and metabolomic analyses provide insight into production of volatile and non-volatile flavor components in mandarin hybrid fruit. BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:76 pubmed publisher..We showed that the diversion of valencene and other sesquiterpenes into the terpenoid pathway together with high production of apocarotenoid volatiles might have resulted in the lower concentration of carotenoids in Temple fruit. ..
- Yonan Y, Ochoa S. Impact of Smoke Evacuation on Patient Experience During Mohs Surgery. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43:1363-1366 pubmed publisher..The authors believe that using a wall suction smoke evacuation system is simple and can result in a more pleasant experience for patients undergoing Mohs surgery. ..
- Janfaza S, Banan Nojavani M, Khorsand B, Nikkhah M, Zahiri J. Cancer Odor Database (COD): a critical databank for cancer diagnosis research. Database (Oxford). 2017;2017: pubmed publisher..http://bioinf.modares.ac.ir/software/cod/...