Summary: An ecosystem dominated by grasses (POACEAE) with few trees or shrubs.
- Bull J, Gordon A, Law E, Suttle K, Milner Gulland E. Importance of baseline specification in evaluating conservation interventions and achieving no net loss of biodiversity. Conserv Biol. 2014;28:799-809 pubmed..Second, a simulation model then replicated these results with a complex real world case study: native grassland offsets in Melbourne, Australia...
- Dahal R, Shim D, Kim J. Description of Actinokineospora acnipugnans sp. nov., an actinomycete isolated from soil, showing potential uses in cosmetics. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3043-3049 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain of 'Actinokineospora acnipugnans' is R434T (=KEMB 9005-403T=KACC 18904T=JCM 31557T). ..
- Dangles O, Rabatel A, Kraemer M, Zeballos G, Soruco A, Jacobsen D, et al. Ecosystem sentinels for climate change? Evidence of wetland cover changes over the last 30 years in the tropical Andes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175814 pubmed publisher..showed an increasing trend in the mean wetland total area and number, mainly related to the appearance of wet grassland patches during the wetter years...
- Toor G, Occhipinti M, Yang Y, Majcherek T, Haver D, Oki L. Managing urban runoff in residential neighborhoods: Nitrogen and phosphorus in lawn irrigation driven runoff. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179151 pubmed publisher..This data suggests that N and P originating in lawn irrigation driven surface runoff from residential catchments is an important contributor of nutrients in surface waters. ..
- Zhang H, Dai W. Revision of the grassland leafhopper genusJilinga Ghauri (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae: Deltocephalinae: Paralimnini) with description of a new species from China. Zootaxa. 2017;4268:541-553 pubmed publisher..nov., from China is described. Habitus photographs and illustrations of male and female genitalia of J. taibaiensis sp. nov. and J. asymmetrica Xing are provided. A key is given to distinguish males of five species. ..
- Gennet S, Spotswood E, Hammond M, Bartolome J. Livestock grazing supports native plants and songbirds in a California annual grassland. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176367 pubmed publisher..the effects of plant community composition, vegetation structure, and livestock grazing on occurrence of three grassland bird species-Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta), Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris), and Grasshopper ..
- Li F, Wang L, Zhao Y. Evolvement rules of basin flood risk under low-carbon mode. Part I: response of soil organic carbon to land use change and its influence on land use planning in the Haihe basin. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:377 pubmed publisher..showed the patterns of land use have changed a lot from 1980 to 2008, among the 19,835 km2 of grassland was transformed into forestland, which was the largest conversion landscape...
- Deyanova D, Gullström M, Lyimo L, Dahl M, Hamisi M, Mtolera M, et al. Contribution of seagrass plants to CO2 capture in a tropical seagrass meadow under experimental disturbance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181386 pubmed publisher..This might in turn have long-lasting and devastating effects on important ecosystem functions, including the carbon sequestration capacity of the seagrass system. ..
- Koziol L, Bever J. Mycorrhizal response trades off with plant growth rate and increases with plant successional status. Ecology. 2015;96:1768-74 pubmed..Because late-successional plants are very responsive to mycorrhizal fungi, our results suggest that fungal community dynamics may be an important driver of plant succession. ..
- Wang S, Yang Y, Zhi H. Water-soluble carbohydrates of root components and activity rhythms at vegetative growth stage of Artemisia scoparia in northeastern grassland of China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176667 pubmed publisher..For the 3a plants, the content in the root collars decreased linearly with that in the 3-year old roots. The older root components (3-year old roots) of the 2a plants and all root components of the 3a plants exhibited signs of aging. ..
- Machado T, Minuzzi Souza T, Ferreira T, Freire L, Timbó R, Vital T, et al. The role of gallery forests in maintaining Phlebotominae populations: potential Leishmania spp. vectors in the Brazilian savanna. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:681-691 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to identify Leishmania, Trypanosoma, and Crithidia species in Phlebotominae collected in Palmas, Tocantins, Brazil. ..
- Rode M, Lemoine N, Smith M. Prospective evidence for independent nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of grasshopper (Chorthippus curtipennis) growth in a tallgrass prairie. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177754 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that P should be jointly considered, along with N, as a primary determinant of herbivore feeding behavior under both current and future climate conditions. ..
- Shao C, Chen J, Chu H, Lafortezza R, Dong G, Abraha M, et al. Grassland productivity and carbon sequestration in Mongolian grasslands: The underlying mechanisms and nomadic implications. Environ Res. 2017;159:124-134 pubmed publisher..This study implies that diverse grassland ecosystems will respond differently to climate change in the future and can be seen as nature-based solutions (..
- Chaudhary D, Kim J. Massilia agri sp. nov., isolated from reclaimed grassland soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2696-2703 pubmed publisher..Gram-stain-negative, motile and rod-shaped bacterium, designated strain K-3-1T, was isolated from reclaimed grassland soils of Belbari, Morang, Nepal. It was able to grow at 4-45?°C, at pH 5.0-10...
- Pearson D, Ortega Y, Eren O, Hierro J. Quantifying "apparent" impact and distinguishing impact from invasiveness in multispecies plant invasions. Ecol Appl. 2016;26:162-73 pubmed..Using weed lists to classify invaders for testing invasion theory is not well supported. ..
- Strong C, Burnside N, Llewellyn D. The potential of small-Unmanned Aircraft Systems for the rapid detection of threatened unimproved grassland communities using an Enhanced Normalized Difference Vegetation Index. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186193 pubmed publisherThe loss of unimproved grassland has led to species decline in a wide range of taxonomic groups. Agricultural intensification has resulted in fragmented patches of remnant grassland habitat both across Europe and internationally...
- Listl D, Poschlod P, Reisch C. Phylogeography of a tough rock survivor in European dry grasslands. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179961 pubmed publisher..The postglacial histories of dry grassland species in central Europe have rarely been analyzed, even though the extremely species-rich habitat is ..
- Harrower W, Srivastava D, McCallum C, Fraser L, Turkington R. Temperate grassland songbird species accumulate incrementally along a gradient of primary productivity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186809 pubmed publisher..We used 5 years of surveys of grassland songbird communities along an elevational gradient in British Columbia, Canada, to distinguish between these ..
- Poutaraud A, Michelot Antalik A, Plantureux S. Grasslands: A Source of Secondary Metabolites for Livestock Health. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6535-6553 pubmed publisher..In that context, grassland secondary metabolites (GSMs) could offer an alternative way to support to livestock health...
- Duan Y, Dietrich C, Zhang Y. Revision of the South American grassland leafhopper genus <i>Cortona</i> Oman (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae: Deltocephalinae: Deltocephalini) with description of four new species from Argentina. Zootaxa. 2017;4242:359-371 pubmed publisher..Its type species and four new species, C. catanachae sp. n., C. concordica sp. n., C. otamendiensis sp. n., and C. silvai sp. n., are illustrated and described from Argentina. A checklist and a key to species are provided. ..
- Tack J, Quamen F, Kelsey K, Naugle D. Doing more with less: Removing trees in a prairie system improves value of grasslands for obligate bird species. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:163-169 pubmed publisherb>Grassland birds endemic to the Northern Great Plains have declined faster and more severely than any other avian guild on the continent...
- Pendrill F, Persson U. Combining global land cover datasets to quantify agricultural expansion into forests in Latin America: Limitations and challenges. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181202 pubmed publisher..Here we present a spatially explicit quantification of the extent to which cultivated land and grassland expanded at the expense of forests across Latin America in 2001-2011, by combining two "state-of-the-art&..
- Malmstrom C, Butterfield H, Planck L, Long C, Eviner V. Novel fine-scale aerial mapping approach quantifies grassland weed cover dynamics and response to management. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181665 pubmed publisher..It thus provides means for small-scale early detection of invasive species and for testing fundamental questions about landscape dynamics. ..
- Hemp C, Heller K. The genus <i>Phlesirtes</i> Bolivar, 1922 (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae: Conocephalinae, Conocephalini; Karniellina), a review of the genus with data on its bioacoustics and the description of new species. Zootaxa. 2017;4244:451-477 pubmed publisher..All recorded species produced long-lasting, trill-like calling songs, consisting of sequences of continuously repeated syllables or syllable pairs with the peak of the carrier frequency in the low ultrasound. ..
- Chaudhary D, Kim J. Dyella agri sp. nov., isolated from reclaimed grassland soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:4246-4252 pubmed publisherA novel strain, DKC-1T, was isolated from reclaimed grassland soil and was characterized taxonomically by a polyphasic approach...
- Chen Y, Li J, Ju W, Ruan H, Qin Z, Huang Y, et al. Quantitative assessments of water-use efficiency in Temperate Eurasian Steppe along an aridity gradient. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179875 pubmed publisher..This study could facilitate the understanding of the interactions between terrestrial carbon and water cycles, and thus contribute to a sustainable management of nature resources in the dryland ecosystems. ..
- Borges F, Glemnitz M, Schultz A, Stachow U. Assessing the habitat suitability of agricultural landscapes for characteristic breeding bird guilds using landscape metrics. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:166 pubmed publisher..each with three characteristic species, are defined for the typical habitat types of that area: farmland, grassland, hedgerow, forest and settlement...
- Gattringer J, Donath T, Eckstein R, Ludewig K, Otte A, Harvolk Schöning S. Flooding tolerance of four floodplain meadow species depends on age. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176869 pubmed publisher..Seasonal flow patterns may influence vegetation dynamics of floodplain meadows and should, therefore, be taken into account when timing future restoration campaigns...
- Liu B, Liu G, Sengonca C, Schumann P, Wang J, Zhu Y, et al. Bacillus wudalianchiensis sp. nov., isolated from grass soils of the Wudalianchi scenic area. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2897-2902 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain is FJAT-27215T (=CCTCC AB 2015266T=DSM 100757T). ..
- Barros A, Marina Pickering C. How Networks of Informal Trails Cause Landscape Level Damage to Vegetation. Environ Manage. 2017;60:57-68 pubmed publisher..The methodology used for off-trail impact assessment can be easily applied or adapted for other popular protected areas where trampling off-trail is also an issue. ..
- Zhao D, Wang P, Zuo J, Zhang H, An S, Ramesh R. Are the traditional large-scale drought indices suitable for shallow water wetlands? An example in the Everglades. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:240-247 pubmed publisher..The significant and opposite correlations imply the unsuitability of the traditional large-scale drought indices in evaluating the effect of drought on shallow water wetlands. ..
- Ward D, Kirkman K, Tsvuura Z. An African grassland responds similarly to long-term fertilization to the Park Grass experiment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177208 pubmed publisherWe compared the results of a long-term (65 years) experiment in a South African grassland with the world's longest-running ecological experiment, the Park Grass study at Rothamsted, U.K...
- Eshel G, Carmel Y. Expanded view of ecosystem stability: A grazed grassland case study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178235 pubmed publisher..We offer a simple alternative to eigenvalue based stability analysis that naturally and straightforwardly overcome these limitations. ..
- Higbie C, Eshar D, Bello N. Evaluation of three point-of-care meters and a portable veterinary chemistry analyzer for measurement of blood glucose concentrations in black-tailed prairie dogs (Cynomys ludovicianus). Am J Vet Res. 2015;76:532-9 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that none of the measurement methods provided consistently accurate blood glucose concentrations of black-tailed prairie dogs, compared with values determined with a biochemistry analyzer. ..
- Berry R, Kulmatiski A. A savanna response to precipitation intensity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175402 pubmed publisher..e., shrub encroachment). While results are likely to be site-specific, they provide experimental evidence of large ecohydrological responses to small changes in precipitation intensity. ..
- Gall C, Rose R, Hurd L. Cohabiting With the Enemy: Comparative Population Ecology of Two Mantid Species in a Successional Old Field. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:766-770 pubmed publisher..Further, environmental variability across field habitats and years profoundly affects populations of both species in successional old fields. ..
- Beck J, Hernández D, Pasari J, Zavaleta E. Grazing maintains native plant diversity and promotes community stability in an annual grassland. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:1259-70 pubmed..we performed a factorial experiment adding N and excluding large herbivores in California's largest serpentine grassland. Although we observed significant interannual variation in community composition related to climate in our six-..
- Leys B, Commerford J, McLauchlan K. Reconstructing grassland fire history using sedimentary charcoal: Considering count, size and shape. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176445 pubmed publisherFire is a key Earth system process, with 80% of annual fire activity taking place in grassland areas...
- Ociepa E, Mrowiec M, Lach J. Influence of fertilisation with sewage sludge-derived preparation on selected soil properties and prairie cordgrass yield. Environ Res. 2017;156:775-780 pubmed publisher..The yield of Spartina pectinata in the first year was 1.6 and in the third year 2.7 times higher in the case of fertilisation with the investigated mixture as compared to the control. ..
- Yimam Y, Ochsner T, Fox G. Hydrologic cost-effectiveness ratio favors switchgrass production on marginal croplands over existing grasslands. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181924 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that, from a hydrologic perspective, it may be preferable to convert marginal cropland to switchgrass production rather than converting existing grasslands. ..
- Mills A, Milewski A, Snyman D, Jordaan J. Effects of anabolic and catabolic nutrients on woody plant encroachment after long-term experimental fertilization in a South African savanna. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179848 pubmed publisher..These findings, based on more than six decades of experimentation, may have global significance for the theoretical understanding of changes in vegetation structure and thus the practical control of invasive woody plants. ..
- Soliveres S, Van der Plas F, Manning P, Prati D, Gossner M, Renner S, et al. Biodiversity at multiple trophic levels is needed for ecosystem multifunctionality. Nature. 2016;536:456-9 pubmed..Our results show that multitrophic richness and abundance support ecosystem functioning, and demonstrate that a focus on single groups has led to researchers to greatly underestimate the functional importance of biodiversity. ..
- Woch M, Kapusta P, Stefanowicz A. Variation in dry grassland communities along a heavy metals gradient. Ecotoxicology. 2016;25:80-90 pubmed..The study sites were 65 small heaps of waste rock covered by grassland vegetation and scattered mostly over agricultural land of southern Poland...
- Lee S, Berlow E, Ostoja S, Brooks M, Génin A, Matchett J, et al. A multi-scale evaluation of pack stock effects on subalpine meadow plant communities in the Sierra Nevada. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178536 pubmed publisher..Wilderness managers can improve monitoring of disturbance in Sierra Nevada meadows by adopting multiple plant community indices while simultaneously considering local moisture regimes. ..
- Cesarz S, Ciobanu M, Wright A, Ebeling A, Vogel A, Weisser W, et al. Plant species richness sustains higher trophic levels of soil nematode communities after consecutive environmental perturbations. Oecologia. 2017;184:715-728 pubmed publisher..Here, we used the occurrence of a natural flood in a biodiversity grassland experiment that was followed by a simulated summer drought experiment, to investigate the interactive effects of ..
- Zhang J, Zuo X, Zhou X, Lv P, Lian J, Yue X. Long-term grazing effects on vegetation characteristics and soil properties in a semiarid grassland, northern China. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:216 pubmed publisher..Understanding the responses of vegetation characteristics and soil properties to grazing disturbance is useful for grassland ecosystem restoration and management in semiarid areas...
- Griffith J, Lee W, Orlovich D, Summerfield T. Contrasting bacterial communities in two indigenous Chionochloa (Poaceae) grassland soils in New Zealand. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179652 pubmed publisher..In this study, two pristine New Zealand grassland sites dominated by indigenous tall tussocks (Chionochloa pallens or C...
- Dormann C, von Riedmatten L, Scherer Lorenzen M. No consistent effect of plant species richness on resistance to simulated climate change for above- or below-ground processes in managed grasslands. BMC Ecol. 2017;17:23 pubmed publisher..between treatments and controls, indicating that a combination of spring warming and summer drought effects on grassland systems are not consistently moderated by species richness...
- Githaiga M, Kairo J, Gilpin L, Huxham M. Carbon storage in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177001 pubmed publisher..5-7.3 Mg C ha-1. To our knowledge, these are among the first results on seagrass sediment Corg to be reported from African seagrass beds; and contribute towards our understanding of the role of seagrass in global carbon dynamics. ..
- Feng L, Moset V, Li W, Chen C, Møller H. In-situ injection of potassium hydroxide into briquetted wheat straw and meadow grass - Effect on biomethane production. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:258-265 pubmed publisher..27×10-2 to 5.32×10-2d-1 and 4.19×10-2 to 6.00×10-2d-1, respectively. The low water usage and no wastewater production make this a promising technology. ..