Summary: An ecosystem dominated by trees and other woody vegetation.
- Trochta J, Krůček M, Vrška T, Kral K. 3D Forest: An application for descriptions of three-dimensional forest structures using terrestrial LiDAR. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176871 pubmed publisherTerrestrial laser scanning is a powerful technology for capturing the three-dimensional structure of forests with a high level of detail and accuracy...
- Ouyang Y, Parajuli P, Li Y, Leininger T, FENG G. Identify temporal trend of air temperature and its impact on forest stream flow in Lower Mississippi River Alluvial Valley using wavelet analysis. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:21-31 pubmed publisher..This study further revealed that the best way to estimate the temporal trends of air temperature and stream flow was to perform the wavelet transformation around their mean values. ..
- Dhamorikar A, Mehta P, Bargali H, Gore K. Characteristics of human - sloth bear (Melursus ursinus) encounters and the resulting human casualties in the Kanha-Pench corridor, Madhya Pradesh, India. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176612 pubmed publisher..166 victims of sloth bear attacks which occurred between 2004 and 2016 and found that most attacks occurred in forests (81%), with the greatest number of those (42%) occurring during the collection of Non-Timber Forest Produce (NTFP)..
- Cardós J, Aragón G, Martinez I. A species on a tightrope: Establishment limitations of an endangered lichen in a fragmented Mediterranean landscape. Am J Bot. 2017;104:527-537 pubmed publisher..oceanic climatic requirements, so in the Mediterranean region it needs the humidity provided by well-preserved forests to thrive, but most of this habitat has disappeared and the remnants are fragmented...
- Cuenca P, Echeverría C. How do protected landscapes associated with high biodiversity and population levels change?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180537 pubmed publisherMost protected areas (PA) try to limit logging of forests by means of restrictions on access and use, especially in areas where local communities coexist with the forests and depend on resources derived from PAs...
- Paul K, Larmour J, Roxburgh S, England J, Davies M, Luck H. Measurements of stem diameter: implications for individual- and stand-level errors. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:416 pubmed publisher..e. in studies of impacts of management or site quality) where there are budgetary constraints, noting the importance of sufficient sample sizes to ensure that the population sampled represents the true population. ..
- Karbowiak G, Biernat B, Werszko J, Rychlik L. The transstadial persistence of tick-borne encephalitis virus in Dermacentor reticulatus ticks in natural conditions. Acta Parasitol. 2016;61:201-3 pubmed publisher..Three adult ticks were positive for infection with TBE virus. The present study for the first time demonstrates the possibility of transstadial mode of TBEV transmission in D. reticulatus ticks. ..
- Gao Q, Yu M. Reforestation-induced changes of landscape composition and configuration modulate freshwater supply and flooding risk of tropical watersheds. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181315 pubmed publisher..Due to the negative correlation between forest cover and fragmentation, the decreased forest fragmentation accompanied with reforestation offsets the impact of reforestation on lessening freshwater supply and flooding risk. ..
- Moret P, Ortuño V. <i>Balligratus</i>, new genus of wingless ground beetles from equatorial Andean montane forest (Coleoptera: Carabidae: Lachnophorini). Zootaxa. 2017;4258:101-120 pubmed publisher..This evolution is unique among Lachnophorini. Four new species are described, all of them from Ecuador: Balligratus brevis sp. nov., Balligratus globosus sp. nov., Balligratus gracilis sp. nov. and Balligratus humerangulus sp. nov. ..
- Roberts P, Hunt C, Arroyo Kalin M, Evans D, Boivin N. The deep human prehistory of global tropical forests and its relevance for modern conservation. Nat Plants. 2017;3:17093 pubmed publisherSignificant human impacts on tropical forests have been considered the preserve of recent societies, linked to large-scale deforestation, extensive and intensive agriculture, resource mining, livestock grazing and urban settlement...
- Kohl M, Neupane P, Lotfiomran N. The impact of tree age on biomass growth and carbon accumulation capacity: A retrospective analysis using tree ring data of three tropical tree species grown in natural forests of Suriname. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181187 pubmed publisherThe world's forests play a pivotal role in the mitigation of global climate change. By photosynthesis they remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store carbon in their biomass...
- Sinacore K, Hall J, Potvin C, Royo A, Ducey M, Ashton M. Unearthing the hidden world of roots: Root biomass and architecture differ among species within the same guild. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185934 pubmed publisher..Work that estimates C in forests as well as models that are used to better understand the hydrologic function of trees need better ..
- Attuquayefio D, Owusu E, Ofori B. Impact of mining and forest regeneration on small mammal biodiversity in the Western Region of Ghana. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:237 pubmed publisher..We strongly encourage deliberate conservation efforts, particularly the development of management plans that require the restoration of degraded land resulting from mining activities. ..
- Brunner J, Duerr S, Keesing F, Killilea M, Vuong H, Ostfeld R. An Experimental Test of Competition among Mice, Chipmunks, and Squirrels in Deciduous Forest Fragments. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66798 pubmed publisherMixed hardwood forests of the northeast United States support a guild of granivorous/omnivorous rodents including gray squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis), eastern chipmunks (Tamias striatus), and white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus)...
- Osada N. Relationships between the timing of budburst, plant traits, and distribution of 24 coexisting woody species in a warm-temperate forest in Japan. Am J Bot. 2017;104:550-558 pubmed publisher..In addition, DBB was earlier for the species of more southern distributions, suggesting that such species benefit more from warming. ..
- Abrahams M, Peres C, Costa H. Measuring local depletion of terrestrial game vertebrates by central-place hunters in rural Amazonia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186653 pubmed publisherThe degree to which terrestrial vertebrate populations are depleted in tropical forests occupied by human communities has been the subject of an intense polarising debate that has important conservation implications...
- Frasson D, Opoku M, Picozzi T, Torossi T, Balada S, Smits T, et al. Pseudomonas wadenswilerensis sp. nov. and Pseudomonas reidholzensis sp. nov., two novel species within the Pseudomonas putida group isolated from forest soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2853-2861 pubmed publisher..The names Pseudomonas wadenswilerensis sp. nov. (type strain CCOS 864T=LMG 29327T) and Pseudomonas reidholzensis sp. nov. (type strain CCOS 865T=LMG 29328T) are proposed. ..
- Ideno Y, Hayashi K, Abe Y, Ueda K, Iso H, Noda M, et al. Blood pressure-lowering effect of Shinrin-yoku (Forest bathing): a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:409 pubmed publisher..Additionally, diastolic blood pressure of the forest environment was significantly lower than that of the non-forest environment. This systematic review shows a significant effect of Shinrin-yoku on reduction of blood pressure. ..
- Jakovac C, Dutrieux L, Siti L, Peña Claros M, Bongers F. Spatial and temporal dynamics of shifting cultivation in the middle-Amazonas river: Expansion and intensification. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181092 pubmed publisher..The resulting landscape is predominantly covered by young secondary forests (? 12 yrs old), and 20% of it have gone through intensive use...
- Iwama R, Nogueira J, Gonçalves A. <i>Helobdella</i> <i>buzz</i> n. sp. (Clitellata: Hirudinida), a bromeliad leech from the Brazilian Atlantic Forest. Zootaxa. 2017;4272:591-595 pubmed publisherTank bromeliads are important components of tropical forests and are capable of hosting many species of invertebrates in their tank water, such as insect larvae, ostracods and oligochaetes (Frank & Lounibos 2009; Jocque & Field ..
- Molinari J, Bustos X, Burneo S, Camacho M, Moreno S, Fermin G. A new polytypic species of yellow-shouldered bats, genus <i>Sturnira</i> (Mammalia: Chiroptera: Phyllostomidae), from the Andean and coastal mountain systems of Venezuela and Colombia. Zootaxa. 2017;4243:75-96 pubmed publisher..The new species inhabits evergreen, deciduous, and cloud forests at mainly medium (1000-2000 m) elevations. It has long been confused with S...
- Meng H, Wu R, Wang Y, Gu J. A comparison of denitrifying bacterial community structures and abundance in acidic soils between natural forest and re-vegetated forest of Nanling Nature Reserve in southern China. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:41-49 pubmed publisher..Three sets of factors were considered for a comparison among 5 forests, including forest types (natural vs. re-vegetated), depths (surface layer vs. lower layer) and seasons (winter vs...
- Athira K, Reddy C, Saranya K, Joseph S, Jaishanker R. Habitat monitoring and conservation prioritisation of protected areas in Western Ghats, Kerala, India. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:295 pubmed publisher..status of 20 protected areas of the Western Ghats of Kerala, India, was analysed based on long-term changes in forests (1975-1985-1995-2005-2013), landscape level changes in fragmentation and forest fires (2005-2015)...
- Song J, Jeong J, Yoon M, Ahn S, Chung W, Nam T. Dosimetric evaluation of MobiusFX in the RapidArc delivery quality assurance comparing with 3DVH. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183165 pubmed publisher..It should therefore be considered a supplementary DQA tool that can verify the error in the daily treatment process, but not an ideal DQA tool that can replace conventional measurement based DQA methods. ..
- Brilhante A, Melchior L, Nunes V, Cardoso C, Galati E. Epidemiological aspects of American cutaneous leishmaniasis (ACL) in an endemic area of forest extractivist culture in western Brazilian Amazonia. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2017;59:e12 pubmed publisher..This study presents information which may be used as a tool for the epidemiological surveillance and control of the disease in Xapuri, a region which depends essentially on forest resources and ecological tourism. ..
- Russell J, Stjernman M, LindstrÃ¶m Ã, Smith H. Community occupancy before-after-control-impact (CO-BACI) analysis of Hurricane Gudrun on Swedish forest birds. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:685-94 pubmed
- Kang S, Yoneda M, Shimada Y, Satta N, Fujita Y, Shin I. Interpreting the deposition and vertical migration characteristics of 137Cs in forest soil after the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:384 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the post-vertical distribution of 137Cs is expected to be governed by the percentage of exchangeable 137Cs in the organic layer and the organic-rich upper soil horizons. ..
- Correa Ayram C, Mendoza M, Etter A, Pérez Salicrup D. Potential Distribution of Mountain Cloud Forest in Michoacán, Mexico: Prioritization for Conservation in the Context of Landscape Connectivity. Environ Manage. 2017;60:86-103 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to model the potential distribution of Mountain cloud forests in the Transversal Volcanic System, Michoacán and to analyze the role of these areas in maintaining landscape ..
- Costa G, Lavergne A, Darcissac E, Lacoste V, Drumond B, Abrahão J, et al. Absence of vaccinia virus detection in a remote region of the Northern Amazon forests, 2005-2015. Arch Virol. 2017;162:2369-2373 pubmed publisher..These findings provide additional information on the VACV epidemiological puzzle. The virus could nevertheless be circulating at low levels that were not detected in areas where no humans or cattle are present. ..
- Wang Y, Smith J, Wilmers C. Residential development alters behavior, movement, and energetics in an apex predator, the puma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184687 pubmed publisher..Future conservation work should consider the consequences of behavioral shifts on animal energetics, individual fitness, and population viability...
- He L, Wang W, Li L, Liu B, Liu G, Liu S, et al. Effects of crowding and sex on fecal cortisol levels of captive forest musk deer. Biol Res. 2014;47:48 pubmed publisher..These results showed that chronic crowding may affect stress status of captive forest musk deer. The captive environment should consider the space need for musk deer. ..
- Nagy R, Porder S, Neill C, Brando P, Quintino R, do Nascimento S. Structure and composition of altered riparian forests in an agricultural Amazonian landscape. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:1725-38 pubmed..In the southern Amazon, at the frontier of cropland expansion, forests are converted and fragmented in a pattern that leaves standing riparian forests whose dimensions are mandated by ..
- Tanentzap A. The costs of saving nature: Does it make "cents"?. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2003292 pubmed publisherClearing wild forests to grow food, fibre, and fuel products can deliver large financial gains...
- Khansaritoreh E, Dulamsuren C, Klinge M, Ariunbaatar T, Bat Enerel B, Batsaikhan G, et al. Higher climate warming sensitivity of Siberian larch in small than large forest islands in the fragmented Mongolian forest steppe. Glob Chang Biol. 2017;23:3675-3689 pubmed publisher..We examined the influence of stand size and stand isolation on the growth performance of larch in forests of four different size classes located in a woodland-dominated forest-steppe area and small forest patches in a ..
- Heberling J, Fridley J. Invaders do not require high resource levels to maintain physiological advantages in a temperate deciduous forest. Ecology. 2016;97:874-84 pubmed..However, the invasion of shade-tolerant woody species into deciduous forests of the Eastern United States seems to contradict such generalization, as growth in this ecosystem is strongly ..
- Corgosinho P, Mercado Salas N, Arbizu P, Silva E, Kihara T. Revision of the <i>Remaneicaris</i> <i>argentina</i>-group (Copepoda, Harpacticoida, Parastenocarididae): supplementary description of species, and description of the first semi-terrestrial <i>Remaneicaris</i> from. Zootaxa. 2017;4238:499-530 pubmed publisher..A new method for the 3D reconstruction of microcrustaceans is described. ..
- Jenkins J, Thompson F, Faaborg J. Species-specific variation in nesting and postfledging resource selection for two forest breeding migrant songbirds. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179524 pubmed publisher..We recommend that postfledging habitat selection be considered in future conservation efforts dealing with Neotropical migrants and other forest breeding songbirds. ..
- Winkler D. New <i>Lepidocyrtus</i> Bourlet, 1839 from riverine woodland in Hungary (Collembola, Entomobryidae). Zootaxa. 2017;4250:529-540 pubmed publisher..III. On this occasion, the L. pallidus-serbicus group has been revised and reinterpreted, and a differentiation key for the derived L. serbicus group has been developed. ..
- González Ferreiro E, Arellano Pérez S, Castedo Dorado F, Hevia A, Vega J, Vega Nieva D, et al. Modelling the vertical distribution of canopy fuel load using national forest inventory and low-density airbone laser scanning data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176114 pubmed publisher..The proposed models can be used to assess the effectiveness of different forest management alternatives for reducing crown fire hazard. ..
- KRMAR M, Radnović D, Hansman J, Repić P. Influence of broadleaf forest vegetation on atmospheric deposition of airborne radionuclides. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:32-36 pubmed publisher..It was estimated that the mean residence time of aerosols in the leaves was up to 50 days. ..
- Bonnet S, Paul R, Bischoff E, Cote M, Le Naour E. First identification of Rickettsia helvetica in questing ticks from a French Northern Brittany Forest. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005416 pubmed publisher..This is the first time that this bacteria has been detected in ticks in this region, and this result raises the possibility that bacteria other than those classically implicated may be involved in rickettsial diseases in western France. ..
- Abreu A, Costa C, Pinho E Silva S, Morais S, do Carmo Pereira M, Fernandes A, et al. Wood smoke exposure of Portuguese wildland firefighters: DNA and oxidative damage evaluation. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2017;80:596-604 pubmed publisher..Implementation of security and hygiene measures in this sector as well as good practices campaigns may be crucial to decrease risk. ..
- Sheu Y, Cunha Machado A, Gontijo A, Favoreto F, Soares T, Miranda F. Genetic diversity of Bromeliaceae species from the Atlantic Forest. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..flammea in Atlantic Forest remnants in the south of Espírito Santo state. ..
- Ottosson E, KubartovÃ¡ A, Edman M, JÃ¶nsson M, Lindhe A, Stenlid J, et al. Diverse ecological roles within fungal communities in decomposing logs of Picea abies. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2015;91: pubmed publisherFungal communities in Norway spruce (Picea abies) logs in two forests in Sweden were investigated by 454-sequence analyses and by examining the ecological roles of the detected taxa...
- Hirata A, Nakamura K, Nakao K, Kominami Y, Tanaka N, Ohashi H, et al. Potential distribution of pine wilt disease under future climate change scenarios. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182837 pubmed publisherPine wilt disease (PWD) constitutes a serious threat to pine forests. Since development depends on temperature and drought, there is a concern that future climate change could lead to the spread of PWD infections...
- Xia F, Cai Y, Chen D, Qiu L. Edaphobacter acidisoli sp. nov., an acidobacterium isolated from forest soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:4260-4265 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed, with 4G-K17T (=CGMCC 1.15447=LMG 29212) as the type strain. ..
- Pawson S, Marcot B, Woodberry O. Predicting forest insect flight activity: A Bayesian network approach. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183464 pubmed publisher..Quantifying this risk allows mitigation treatments to be targeted to prevent the spread of invasive species via international trade pathways. ..
- HADDOW A, Williams M, Woodall J, Simpson D, GOMA L. TWELVE ISOLATIONS OF ZIKA VIRUS FROM AEDES (STEGOMYIA) AFRICANUS (THEOBALD) TAKEN IN AND ABOVE A UGANDA FOREST. Bull World Health Organ. 1964;31:57-69 pubmed
- Bhagwat T, Hess A, Horning N, Khaing T, Thein Z, Aung K, et al. Losing a jewel-Rapid declines in Myanmar's intact forests from 2002-2014. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176364 pubmed publisherNew and rapid political and economic changes in Myanmar are increasing the pressures on the country's forests. Yet, little is known about the past and current condition of these forests and how fast they are declining...
- Li W, Zhao W, Huai W. Phytophthora pseudopolonica sp. nov., a new species recovered from stream water in subtropical forests of China. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3666-3675 pubmed publisherA new species of the genus Phytophthora was isolated from stream water in the subtropical forests of China during a survey of forest Phytophthora from 2011 to 2013...
- McLennan M, Hasegawa H, Bardi M, Huffman M. Gastrointestinal parasite infections and self-medication in wild chimpanzees surviving in degraded forest fragments within an agricultural landscape mosaic in Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180431 pubmed publisher..g. rhabditoid and strongyle nematodes), underscoring the importance of identifying and reducing risks of pathogen exchange in shared landscapes. ..