mass casualty incidents
Summary: Events that overwhelm the resources of local HOSPITALS and health care providers. They are likely to impose a sustained demand for HEALTH SERVICES rather than the short, intense peak customary with smaller scale disasters.
- Rosman Y, Eisenkraft A, Milk N, Shiyovich A, Ophir N, Shrot S, et al. Lessons learned from the Syrian sarin attack: evaluation of a clinical syndrome through social media. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:644-8 pubmed publisher..This is believed to be the first time that social media was used to evaluate clinical data and management protocols to better prepare against future possible events. ..
- Silvestri S, Field A, Mangalat N, Weatherford T, Hunter C, McGowan Z, et al. Comparison of START and SALT triage methodologies to reference standard definitions and to a field mass casualty simulation. Am J Disaster Med. 2017;12:27-33 pubmed publisher..In our field exercise, paramedic use of the START methodology yielded a higher rate of undertriage compared to the SALT classification. ..
- Stroebe W, Leander N, Kruglanski A. The impact of the Orlando mass shooting on fear of victimization and gun-purchasing intentions: Not what one might expect. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182408 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these responses are representative for the majority of Americans and, therefore, people who are influenced by mass shootings to buy guns are probably an atypical minority. ..
- Jonson C, Pettersson J, Rybing J, Nilsson H, Prytz E. Short simulation exercises to improve emergency department nurses' self-efficacy for initial disaster management: Controlled before and after study. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;55:20-25 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that short computer based simulation exercises provide opportunities for head nurses to improve management skills and increase their general self-efficacy. ..
- Miranda E, Shoaf K, Silva R, Freitas C, Osorio de Castro C. Expected hazards and hospital beds in host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00010616 pubmed publisher..93-2.19) in all 12 cities. Total shortage, considering all the cities, ranged from -47,670 (for surges) to -60,569 beds (for mass casualties). The study can contribute to discussions on mass-gathering preparedness. ..
- Morris S, Pelley J, Mitchell S. Using a novel technology for disaster staff notification. Am J Disaster Med. 2017;12:63-65 pubmed publisher..This article highlights a unique disaster staff notification system using a novel technology, an outside administrator, and a multilayer system of redundant communication. ..
- Taichman D, Bauchner H, Drazen J, Laine C, Peiperl L. Firearm-Related Injury and Death: A U.S. Health Care Crisis in Need of Health Care Professionals. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002430 pubmed publisher..The U.S.-based Editors of ICMJE journals call for health-care professionals to act against the public health crisis of injury and death from guns...
- McAlister C, Marble A, Murray T. The 1917 Halifax Explosion: the first coordinated local civilian medical response to disaster in Canada. Can J Surg. 2017;60:372-374 pubmed..This commentary has an appendix, available at canjsurg.ca/016317-a1...
- Careless J. High-tech training preps agency: simulation assists Northwest Fire/Rescue District with emergency response. EMS World. 2012;41:33 pubmed
- Studdert D, Zhang Y, Rodden J, Hyndman R, Wintemute G. Handgun Acquisitions in California After Two Mass Shootings. Ann Intern Med. 2017;166:698-706 pubmed publisher..Mass shootings are common in the United States. They are the most visible form of firearm violence. Their effect on personal decisions to purchase firearms is not well-understood...
- Lampi M, Junker J, Berggren P, Jonson C, Vikstrom T. Pre-hospital triage performance after standardized trauma courses. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2017;25:53 pubmed publisher..These courses should be modified in order to assure proper training in triage skills. ..
- Tucker P, Pfefferbaum B, Jeon Slaughter H, Garton T, North C. Extended mental health service utilization among survivors of the Oklahoma City bombing. Psychiatr Serv. 2014;65:559-62 pubmed publisher..Although 33% received treatment for more than one year, only 7% were receiving services at seven years. Although service needs decreased over time, results support provision of diverse services adapted to changing needs. ..
- Bruneau E, Kteily N. The enemy as animal: Symmetric dehumanization during asymmetric warfare. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181422 pubmed publisher..This study illuminates the striking potency and symmetry of blatant dehumanization among those on both sides of an active asymmetric conflict. ..
- Carhart E. How to develop tactical EMS protocols. EMS World. 2012;41:26-31 pubmed