computer user training
Summary: Process of teaching a person to interact and communicate with a computer.
- Tilghman J, Raley D, Conway J. Family nurse practitioner students utilization of Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs): implications for practice. ABNF J. 2006;17:115-7 pubmed..The PDAs were purchased with funds provided from a United States Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) grant. ..
- Shaw B, Han J, Baker T, Witherly J, Hawkins R, McTavish F, et al. How women with breast cancer learn using interactive cancer communication systems. Health Educ Res. 2007;22:108-19 pubmed
- Lunney M. Helping nurses use NANDA, NOC, and NIC: novice to expert. J Nurs Adm. 2006;36:118-25 pubmed
- Nicoll L. Internet case management: finding information on the World Wide Web. Lippincotts Case Manag. 2001;6:13-8 pubmed..Remember that although the most effective searches are those that are tailored to the situation at hand, all searching on the Internet requires persistence, tenacity, and a good dose of creative thinking! ..
- Weinert C, Hill W. Rural women with chronic illness: computer use and skill acquisition. Womens Health Issues. 2005;15:230-6 pubmed..With the attainment of computer and Internet skills, it is expected that these rural women will have a sustained ability to access quality Internet information that will allow them to better manage and adapt to their chronic illnesses. ..
- Haigh J. Information technology in health professional education: why IT matters. Nurse Educ Today. 2004;24:547-52 pubmed..It is argued that universities cannot survive without harnessing the power of IT to improve the educational experience of students but lecturers should ensure that this is underpinned by sound educational theory. ..
- Barnes J. Implementing a perinatal clinical information system: a work in progress. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2006;35:134-40 pubmed..This article describes how these factors were considered during implementation of a clinical information system in a labor and delivery unit. ..
- Chin E, Sosa M, O Neill E. The N-CODES project moves to user testing. Comput Inform Nurs. 2006;24:214-9 pubmed..Testing the system in an actual clinical setting is the next step, but it is clear that the system has extraordinary potential to improve clinical decision making and patient outcomes. ..
- Simpson R. Evidence-based practice: how nursing administration makes IT happen. Nurs Adm Q. 2006;30:291-4 pubmed..It explains the role of nursing administration in guiding IT implementation, as well as key issues that must be examined in system selection and development. ..
- Black C, Watties Daniels A. Cutting edge technology to enhance nursing classroom instruction at Coppin State University. ABNF J. 2006;17:103-6 pubmed..The authors provide an overview of current cutting edge technologies in nursing classroom instruction and its impact on future nursing practice. ..
- Fung C, Woods J, Asch S, Glassman P, Doebbeling B. Variation in implementation and use of computerized clinical reminders in an integrated healthcare system. Am J Manag Care. 2004;10:878-85 pubmed..Further study is needed to determine how to best implement clinical reminders and the institutional factors important in their use. ..
- Jenkins A. A site to see. Nurs Stand. 2006;20:64 pubmed
- Creedy D, Mitchell M, Seaton Sykes P, Cooke M, Patterson E, Purcell C, et al. Evaluating a Web-enhanced bachelor of nursing curriculum: perspectives of third-year students. J Nurs Educ. 2007;46:460-7 pubmed..Students with good IT skills are more likely to perceive Web-enhanced material as useful. ..
- Carlock D, Anderson J. Teaching and assessing the database searching skills of student nurses. Nurse Educ. 2007;32:251-5 pubmed..The authors describe the creation, administration, and findings from the assessments and the implications for instruction. ..
- Burke M. The incidence of technological stress among baccalaureate nurse educators using technology during course preparation and delivery. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29:57-64 pubmed publisher..The variable, perceived administrative support for use of technology in the classroom, was a significant predictor in a regression model predicting Louisiana baccalaureate nurse educators' technological stress (F=14.157, p<.001). ..
- Sharp D. Maryland Health Care Commission electronic medical records--a growing alternative to paper charts. Md Med. 2004;5:36-8 pubmed
- Atkinson N, Saperstein S, Desmond S, Gold R, Billing A, Tian J. Rural eHealth nutrition education for limited-income families: an iterative and user-centered design approach. J Med Internet Res. 2009;11:e21 pubmed publisher..Women were able to use the prototype system effectively. This research demonstrated that user-centered design strategies can help close the "content gap" for at-risk audiences. ..
- Walsh D. Ten ways to improve your computer and network experience. Dent Today. 2005;24:118, 120-1 pubmed
- Khadivzadeh T, Erfanian F. The effects of simulated patients and simulated gynecologic models on student anxiety in providing IUD services. Simul Healthc. 2012;7:282-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is recommended that simulated patients and simulated gynecologic models be used before engaging students in real clinical practice. ..
- Iliyasu Z, Abubakar I, Kabir M, Abbas S. Computing knowledge, attitude and skills among healthcare professionals in Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2005;14:200-5 pubmed..Computer loans and in-house computing courses were recommended to prepare our healthcare professionals for the challenges of the information technology age. ..
- Chedid R, Dew A, Veitch C. Barriers to the use of Information and Communication Technology by occupational therapists working in a rural area of New South Wales, Australia. Aust Occup Ther J. 2013;60:197-205 pubmed publisher..To overcome these challenges, individual, workplace and community Information and Communication Technology barriers should be addressed concurrently. ..
- Kneebone R, Nestel D, Ratnasothy J, Kidd J, Darzi A. The use of handheld computers in scenario-based procedural assessments. Med Teach. 2003;25:632-42 pubmed..Technical expertise is required for the development and delivery of PDA-based forms, but their potential for use in formative and summative assessments is considerable. ..
- Younger P. Using the Internet to conduct a literature search. Nurs Stand. 2004;19:45-51; quiz 52 pubmed..This article provides advice on how to carry out a successful literature search using electronic databases available on the Internet. ..
- Lynch B, Einspruch E. With or without an instructor, brief exposure to CPR training produces significant attitude change. Resuscitation. 2010;81:568-75 pubmed publisher..The counterintuitive finding that controls experienced similar levels of attitude change suggests that mere exposure to CPR testing can have positive effects on attitudes. ..
- Ferron J, Brunette M, McHugo G, Devitt T, Martin W, Drake R. Developing a quit smoking website that is usable by people with severe mental illnesses. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2011;35:111-6 pubmed publisher..In general, insights from the study highlight the need for thoughtful design and usability testing when creating a website for people with severe mental illness. ..
- Welch J, Dowell S, Johnson C. Feasibility of using a personal digital assistant to self-monitor diet and fluid intake: a pilot study. Nephrol Nurs J. 2007;34:43-8; quiz 49 pubmed..Further adjustments to the intervention will be made before testing efficacy. ..
- Murphy J. Gaining support from health disciplines and other stakeholders. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004;109:36-52 pubmed..This chapter includes recommended strategies on how to best overcome such knowledge deficits so that greater support for Health Informatics education is achieved. ..
- Jones J. Sending the right message. Nurs Stand. 2006;20:72 pubmed
- Loke Jennifer C. Computer mediated conferencing - a hope or hype for healthcare education in higher learning?: A review of the literature. Nurse Educ Today. 2007;27:318-24 pubmed..Concerted efforts should not be just about increasing students' technological competence, but on addressing the socio-psychological dimensions in CMC. ..
- Grad J, Berdes C. A computer services program for residents of a continuing care retirement community: needs assessment and program design. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2005;25:85-93 pubmed..Ongoing evaluation shows that half of residents make use of computer resources, and that their computer skills have opened the door to other educational opportunities. ..
- Stockman T, Krishnan S. Acceptance of PACS utilizing a PACS QI Program. Radiol Manage. 2006;28:16-8, 20-7; quiz 28-9 pubmed..In addition, the radiology staff learned to accept and trust the PACS, resulting in a positive culture change that benefited teamwork and staff morale as well as improve the workflow and the quality of patient care. ..
- Dearnley C, Dunn G, Watson S. An exploration of on-line access by non-traditional students in higher education: a case study. Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26:409-15 pubmed..The paper explores this issue in depth and suggests potential ways forward for the delivery of technology supported learning for 'non-traditional' students in Higher Education. ..
- Wharrad H, Cook E, Poussa C. Putting post-registration nursing students on-line: important lessons learned. Nurse Educ Today. 2005;25:263-71 pubmed..Strategies for improving the engagement and quality of on-line learning are proposed from the lessons learned during this study. ..
- Jeffries P. Development and testing of a Hyperlearning Model for design of an online critical care course. J Nurs Educ. 2005;44:366-72 pubmed..In this article, I describe the creation and testing of an instructional design model for developing content in this online course. ..
- Jackson L, Eye A, Biocca F, Barbatsis G, Zhao Y, Fitzgerald H. Instructional set and internet use by low-income adults. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2005;8:465-72 pubmed..Implications for reducing the digital divide are discussed. ..
- Saslo M. Designing your Web site. Adv Nurse Pract. 2005;13:15 pubmed
- Fetter M. Curriculum strategies to improve baccalaureate nursing information technology outcomes. J Nurs Educ. 2009;48:78-85 pubmed..A 3-year action plan directed faculty, student, and agency evaluation, curriculum mapping, model learning module, and documentation development. ..
- Schwartz A, Millam G. A web-based library consult service for evidence-based medicine: Technical development. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2006;6:16 pubmed..A web-based EBM library consult model may provide a useful way for informationists to assist clinicians, and is feasible to implement. ..
- Raynor M, Iggulden H. Online anatomy and physiology: piloting the use of an anatomy and physiology e-book-VLE hybrid in pre-registration and post-qualifying nursing programmes at the University of Salford. Health Info Libr J. 2008;25:98-105 pubmed publisher..The resource could replace its printed equivalent; however, negotiations need to take place between institutions and publishers in order to resolve scale-up issues. ..
- Gilroy D. Development of a syllabus for healthcare database training. The experience of libraries serving National Health Service staff in Leeds, UK. Health Info Libr J. 2006;23:145-9 pubmed
- Harker K. Getting off to a good start. Tips from the launch of two HIM systems. J AHIMA. 2006;77:34-6, 38 pubmed
- Fenton S, Giannangelo K, Stanfill M. Essential people skills for EHR implementation success. J AHIMA. 2006;77:60A-60D pubmed
- Huckstadt A, Hayes K. Evaluation of interactive online courses for advanced practice nurses. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2005;17:85-9 pubmed..The future of online education is dependent on well-structured, interactive, and substantive programs. Educators are challenged to continually assess and evaluate the changing learning needs of APNs. ..
- Chu A, Huber J, Mastel Smith B, Cesario S. "Partnering with Seniors for Better Health": computer use and Internet health information retrieval among older adults in a low socioeconomic community. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009;97:12-20 pubmed publisher..001). The study suggests an array of possibilities to engage older adults in the use of Internet health information resources to better contribute to their health, independence, safety, and wellness. ..
- Harwell T, Law D, Ander J, Helgerson S. Increasing state public health professionals' proficiency in using PubMed. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008;96:134-7 pubmed publisher..A collaboratively designed training can increase public health workers' proficiency in and intentions of using online bibliographic databases. ..
- Butrimiene E, Stankeviciene N. Enrichment of the educational environment with information and communication technologies: state of art at the Faculty of Pharmacy of Kaunas University of Medicine. Medicina (Kaunas). 2008;44:156-66 pubmed..The results of the study on the application of information technologies in teaching/learning processes at the Faculty of Pharmacy of Kaunas University of Medicine are presented in the third part. ..
- Tarrant M, Dodgson J, Law B. A curricular approach to improve the information literacy and academic writing skills of part-time post-registration nursing students in Hong Kong. Nurse Educ Today. 2008;28:458-68 pubmed..This intervention demonstrated that with structured but flexible learning activities early in the curriculum, post-registration nursing students can quickly become information literate. ..
- Richards J, Edwards K, Lackey M, Wallace L, Calleson J, Barber C, et al. Collaborative learning and technology skills development: evaluation of an online annual grantee meeting. Matern Child Health J. 2012;16:1549-52 pubmed publisher..Direct costs of the online meeting were low, and evaluations indicated that all participants were satisfied with the online format. ..
- . 2006 National Caring Awards youth winners. Daniel Kent. Caring. 2006;25:37 pubmed
- Lashley M. Teaching health assessment in the virtual classroom. J Nurs Educ. 2005;44:348-50 pubmed..The most helpful aspect of the online course was the instructor-developed video that was digitally streamed online. ..
- Duncan V. "Medical Matrix": a directory of clinical, medical web sites. Clin Med Res. 2003;1:71-2 pubmed
- Yom Y. Integration of Internet-based learning and traditional face-to-face learning in an RN-BSN course in Korea. Comput Inform Nurs. 2004;22:145-52 pubmed..On the basis of the findings, additional courses using both online and face-to-face methods for RN-BSN students should be developed and implemented for RN-BSN nursing programs in Korea. ..
- Yan H, Gardner R, Baier R. Beyond the focus group: understanding physicians' barriers to electronic medical records. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2012;38:184-91 pubmed..Further research into the differences between current EMR users' and nonusers' perceptions of barriers may help elucidate how to facilitate subsequent adoption. ..