health occupations schools
Summary: Schools which offer training in the area of health.
- Mareck D, Uden D, Larson T, Shepard M, Reinert R. Rural interprofessional service-learning: the Minnesota experience. Acad Med. 2004;79:672-6 pubmed..Two project examples are described in detail to illustrate the challenges and successes of this type of civic engagement. ..
- Velde B, Wittman P, Bamberg R. Cultural competence of faculty and students in a school of allied health. J Allied Health. 2003;32:189-95 pubmed..The results are limited in generalizability to other schools of allied health with a predominately white female population. ..
- Dodge C, Sewankambo N, Kanyesigye E. Participatory planning for the transformation of the Faculty of Medicine into a College of Health Sciences. Afr Health Sci. 2003;3:94-101 pubmed
- Curran V, Deacon D, Fleet L. Academic administrators' attitudes towards interprofessional education in Canadian schools of health professional education. J Interprof Care. 2005;19 Suppl 1:76-86 pubmed..If this is the case, the post-secondary system in Canada is primed for the introduction of interprofessional education initiatives which support the development of client and patient-centred collaborative practice competencies. ..
- Mazwai L. An interview of Lizo Mazwai. Interview by Jane Westberg. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2005;18:89-95 pubmed
- Waller K, Karni K. Scholarly activities of the most productive CLS faculty and schools in the U.S.A. Clin Lab Sci. 2010;23:175-9 pubmed..Among the 15 highest ranked colleges and universities with CLS programs, and by cumulative faculty contributions, most are classified as research institutions. ..
- West D, Krcmery V, Rusnakova V, Murgas M. A BRIDGE partnership model for health management education in the Slovak Republic. J Health Adm Educ. 1998;16:181-96 pubmed..Applied management practices enhance market-oriented solutions to health care delivery problems emphasizing a focus on privatization and entrepreneurship through education. ..
- Stuart J. Factors influencing student enrollment in clinical laboratory science programs. Am Clin Lab. 2002;21:31-3 pubmed..The ability to grow into other professions should be emphasized. College advisors should always remain visible and market the programs; and high school students should be exposed to the profession. ..
- Reeves S, Freeth D. The London training ward: an innovative interprofessional learning initiative. J Interprof Care. 2002;16:41-52 pubmed..The paper presents conclusions from the evaluation, and comments on the training ward's strengths, limitations and future development. ..
- Carline J, Patterson D. Characteristics of health professions schools, public school systems, and community-based organizations in successful partnerships to increase the numbers of underrepresented minority students entering health professions education. Acad Med. 2003;78:467-82 pubmed..The authors were unable to identify outcomes in terms of numbers of children influenced by programs or instances in which lasting changes in health professions schools had occurred. ..
- Sinay T. Service learning in the undergraduate health administration curriculum: theory and practice. J Health Adm Educ. 2000;18:357-73 pubmed..This study introduces the service learning concept into the health administration curriculum, demonstrates service learning models and recommends several health administration courses for service learning integration. ..
- Ohashi N. [Current educational status of clinical toxicology in school of emergency life supporting technology]. Chudoku Kenkyu. 2002;15:369-74 pubmed
- Marques J, Barbosa J, Alves I, Moreira L. Staphylococcus aureus nasal and hand carriage among students from a Portuguese health school. Br J Biomed Sci. 2010;67:5-8 pubmed..Although the frequency and prevalence of colonisation found is within the range previously described in healthy populations, increased resistance to antimicrobials and higher prevalence of MRSA among the student community was found. ..
- Connors H, Weaver C. Partnership for the advancement of clinical informatics. J Prof Nurs. 2002;18:59, 112 pubmed
- Al Alwan I. Association between scores in high school, aptitude and achievement exams and early performance in health science college. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2009;20:448-53 pubmed..Our results indicate that academic performance showed good correlation with the admission criteria used, namely final high school grade, Saudi National Aptitude and Achievement Exams. ..
- Leja J, Wardley C. Future trends in health care doctoral education. J Allied Health. 2002;31:227-31 pubmed..The results of a survey of 682 health and human service professionals and 659 employers throughout the Midwest are discussed. ..
- Waites C, Lee E. Strengthening aging content in the baccalaureate social work curricula: what students have to say. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2006;48:47-62 pubmed..Strategies to promote student interest, organize curricula, and create an inclusive learning context are discussed. ..
- Huff M, Weisenfluh S, Murphy M, Black P. End-of-life care and social work education: what do students need to know?. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2006;48:219-31 pubmed..This partnership provides a varied perspective on delivery of end-of-life care services with an emphasis on social work interventions and education. ..
- Roter D, Erby L, Larson S, Ellington L. Assessing oral literacy demand in genetic counseling dialogue: preliminary test of a conceptual framework. Soc Sci Med. 2007;65:1442-57 pubmed..These consequences are important for all patients but may be even more so for patients with restricted literacy. ..
- Medina L E, Kaempffer R A. [The health careers teaching system in Chile]. Rev Med Chil. 2007;135:1346-54 pubmed publisher..There is a disharmonic growth of University teaching in Chile, that will solve historical deficits of professionals such as nurses but will introduce important changes in Chilean medicine. ..
- Goino M. [The pharmacist examination in Keijo (Seoul, Republic of Korea) during the 1920s and Korean Pharmacy School (Chosen-Yakugakuko)]. Yakushigaku Zasshi. 2008;43:61-6 pubmed..The Korean pharmacy school (Chosen-Yakugakuko) was founded in 1915. Before 1914, the school of pharmacy was located in Taikan-Iin Medical School and lectures were given by the Pharmaceutical Society of Korea (Chosen-Yakugakukai). ..
- Coppola S. A journey to see the whole of things. Am J Occup Ther. 2005;59:476-9 pubmed
- Priest M, Ginwright S. Bridge to health care: Alabama's Health Professions Partnership Initiative. Acad Med. 2006;81:S17-20 pubmed
- Elison Bowers P, Snelson C, Casa de Calvo M, Thompson H. Health science students and their learning environment: a comparison of perceptions of on-site, remote-site, and traditional classroom students. Perspect Health Inf Manag. 2008;5:2 pubmed..Students' responses to open-ended questions indicated they enjoyed the convenience of online instruction, but reported finding frustration with technology itself. ..
- Richmond S, Mossberg K, Rahr R. Issues and dilemmas of developing a new faculty practice plan. J Allied Health. 2001;30:26-9 pubmed..This article discusses 1) the process used in planning and developing a faculty practice plan; 2) details of the plan, to include faculty incentives, administrative cost, etc.; and 3) strategy for implementation. ..
- Kitamura S. KCC's training covers all aspects of the job. Hawaii Dent J. 2006;37:10-2 pubmed
- Kainz B, Schlag B, Jäckel W. [Evolution of a quality assurance programme for physiotherapy schools - results of the first quality inspections]. Rehabilitation (Stuttg). 2004;43:24-32 pubmed..Additionally, the requirements of teachers conferences and equipment of libraries were not met by the majority. A general problem among the schools is inadequate documentation in many fields. ..
- Hermoso J, Rosen A, Overly L, Tompkins C. Increasing aging and advocacy competency: the intergenerational advocacy pilot project. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2006;48:179-92 pubmed
- Lind N. Partnership in education: central service prepares students for materiel management duties. Hosp Mater Manage Q. 1995;16:1-4 pubmed..This article examines the partnership formed between a college, area health care facilities, and industry to design, develop, and implement a central service materiel management program. ..
- Cole B. Graham O Hill. President, Victorian College of Optometry 1991-2003. Clin Exp Optom. 2003;86:409-12 pubmed
- Berger C, Ai A. Managed care and its implications for social work curricula reform: clinical practice and field instruction. Soc Work Health Care. 2000;31:83-106 pubmed..This paper offers recommendations regarding ways in which the practice and field curriculum can be strengthened to more effectively prepare social workers for practice within a managed care environment. ..
- Montague T. Next-generation healthcare: a strategic appraisal. Healthc Pap. 2009;9:39-44; discussion 60-3 pubmed..A better health future can commence immediately, within existing resources, and be sustained with feasible innovations in provider and patient education and information systems. The future is now. ..
- Banoczi W. Kathleen Mears Memorial Lecture: The magic of becoming an END technologist. Education: past, present, future. Am J Electroneurodiagnostic Technol. 2008;48:1-10 pubmed..Let's imagine! ..
- Gourdine R, Sanders T. Missed opportunities and unlimited possibilities: teaching disability content in schools of social work. J Health Soc Policy. 2002;16:207-20 pubmed..It challenges schools of social work to re-think their course offerings or to reorganize course content to include more information on disabilities. ..
- Pugno P, Dornfest F, Kahn N, Avant R. The National Institute for Program Director Development: a school for program directors. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2002;15:209-13 pubmed..Enhanced preparation for the job of residency program director results in a positive impact on both the director and the program. ..
- Florence J, Goodrow B, Wachs J, Grover S, Olive K. Rural health professions education at East Tennessee State University: survey of graduates from the first decade of the community partnership program. J Rural Health. 2007;23:77-83 pubmed..A program that enrolls students interested in rural health care and provides training in rural communities produces graduates who will practice in rural areas. ..
- Duckett S. Interdependence of the health and education sectors in meeting health human resource needs. Healthc Pap. 2009;9:30-4; discussion 60-3 pubmed..This commentary discusses limitations on our thinking, the intertwined relationships between the educational and health sectors and three critical steps to take in health sector human resource planning. ..
- Halperin A, Lando H. Stepping up to tobacco control: harnessing the momentum. Public Health Rep. 2006;121:490-3 pubmed
- Waller K, Karni K, Wilson S. Scholarship and research of allied health deans and directors. J Allied Health. 1999;28:1-7 pubmed..3 million in total funding. They did not differ significantly by employing institution (a research institution or a non-research institution). ..
- Maurizio S, DeMattei R, Meyer J, Cotner D. A public aid clinic prototype: utilizing a dental hygiene educational facility to increase access to care. J Dent Hyg. 2003;77:185-9 pubmed..The Heartland Dental Clinic model represents a cost effective method for increasing oral health access to underserved populations while also benefiting students in an educational program. ..
- Corrêa L, Lunardi V, Santos S. [Constructing knowledge about solid waste in health services in the education of health professionals]. Rev Gaucha Enferm. 2008;29:557-64 pubmed
- Richter R, Ruebling I. Model for development of outcome assessment surveys for allied health educational programs. J Allied Health. 2003;32:179-84 pubmed..Other programs in physical therapy and other health care disciplines can use this model to develop valid survey instruments to assess their program's effectiveness. ..
- Knevel R, Luciak Donsberger C. Dental hygiene education in Nepal. Int J Dent Hyg. 2009;7:3-9 pubmed publisher..Currently, Nepal is the only country worldwide with an almost equal gender distribution in the dental hygiene profession. ..
- Merrill J, Hripcsak G. Using social network analysis within a department of biomedical informatics to induce a discussion of academic communities of practice. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15:780-2 pubmed publisher..The findings will guide future direction and faculty recruitment efforts. Communities of practice present a novel view of interdisciplinarity in biomedical informatics. ..
- Mitchell C, Korcarz C. The advantages of becoming a clinical site for ultrasound schools. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005;18:367-9 pubmed..One way echocardiographers can address this issue is to have their institutions become clinical sites for local accredited ultrasound schools. ..
- Hubble W, Knight A. SNMTS Program Director Survey. J Nucl Med Technol. 2005;33:94-9 pubmed
- Izadi M, Dauphinee D, Buckeridge D, Tamblyn R. Incorporating educational institutions into a unified model of health human resources. Healthc Pap. 2009;9:53-8; discussion 60-3 pubmed..While this commentary shares the general idea presented by the authors of the lead paper, it outlines some of the issues that should be taken into consideration in formulating these roles. ..
- Lett A. The scope and limitations of treatment. An interview with Ann Lett, Principle, British School--Reflex Zone Therapy of the Feet. Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery. 2001;7:146-9 pubmed..She is presently Principle, British School Reflex Zone Therapy of the Feet, Wembley Park, UK. In this interview, Ann discusses the scope and limitations of reflexology and how she sees this profession developing in the future. ..
- Jones B, Murtaugh M, Durkin Z, Bolden M, Majewski T. Clinical education in two-year colleges: cost-benefit issues. J Allied Health. 2000;29:109-13 pubmed..Few programs were required to perform cost analysis. Allied health clinical education programs continue to depend on the willingness of health care facilities to accept students for clinical training. ..
- Mathews J. The Menzies School of Health Research offers a new paradigm of cooperative research. Med J Aust. 1998;169:625-9 pubmed
- Perez T. Enhancing access to health care and eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health status: a compelling case for health professions schools to implement race-conscious admissions policies. J Health Care Law Policy. 2006;9:77-104 pubmed
- Wu J, Lu Z, Hayes M, Donovan D, Lore R. Integration of acupuncture into family medicine teaching clinics. J Altern Complement Med. 2009;15:1015-9 pubmed publisher..The collaborative structure of the CACs allowed for a unique learning experience and improved communication between providers of CAM and conventional medicine. ..