public health professional education
Summary: Education and training in PUBLIC HEALTH for the practice of the profession.
- Wakai K. The JICA Training Course, Community-Based Cancer Prevention for Asian Pacific Countries, 2004 (Epidemiological approach). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2004;5:231-6 pubmed
- Blumenthal D, Rodney P. Graduate programs in public health: major contributions today; tomorrow we've got to get organized. Am J Prev Med. 2003;24:371-2 pubmed
- Miner K, Richter D. Curricular innovation and the science of public health education: a call to action. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 2:1-4 pubmed
- Pirani S, Reizes T. The Turning Point Social Marketing National Excellence Collaborative: integrating social marketing into routine public health practice. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2005;11:131-8 pubmed..The Collaborative has also made advances in incorporating and institutionalizing the practice of social marketing within public health in participating states. ..
- Globe G, Azen S, Valente T. Improving preventive health services training in chiropractic colleges: a pilot impact evaluation of the introduction of a model public health curriculum. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005;28:702-7 pubmed..The impact of this reform in public health education may have been limited by its minimal focus on clinical preventive services and by a focus on didactic rather than a clinically relevant learning exposure. ..
- Roemer M. The need for professional doctors of public health. 1986. Public Health Rep. 2006;121 Suppl 1:277-84; discussion 276 pubmed
- Page B. [Impressions: the Rockefeller Foundation and early Czechoslovakia]. Dejiny Ved Tech. 2002;35:151-76 pubmed
- Schlaff A, Robbins A. Teaching health departments: meeting the challenge of public health education. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009;15:439-42 pubmed publisher..Academic programs must partner with these agencies but must also continue to teach students about the intellectual framework of public health. ..
- Heading G, Fuller J, Lyle D, Madden D. Using problem-based learning in public health service based training. N S W Public Health Bull. 2007;18:8-13 pubmed..PBL appears to be suitable in rural and non-rural public health training settings. ..
- Berridge V. Multidisciplinary public health: what sort of victory?. Public Health. 2007;121:404-8 pubmed..Public health as an occupation has been preoccupied with its professional positioning. Will the wider multidisciplinary impetus of public health now be lost in a preoccupation with status? ..
- Shtarkshall R, Soskolne V, Bubis Feder P, Daoud N. The teaching of social sciences, health behavior, and health behavior change in public health. Public Health Rev. 2002;30:201-8 pubmed
- Stillman F, Wipfli H, Samet J. Reaching and educating the global tobacco control community: innovative approaches to tobacco control training. Public Health Rep. 2006;121:521-8 pubmed..In each case, we draw on the experience of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in educating national and international audiences in tobacco control. ..
- Holland R, Hoysal N, Gilmore A, Acquilla S. Quality of training in public health in the UK: results of the first national training audit. Public Health. 2006;120:237-48 pubmed..Nevertheless, repeating such an audit annually within deaneries could help to improve public health training throughout the UK. ..
- Cuboni G. Debate and dialogue, on the matter of education and training in public health. Pac Health Dialog. 2006;13:5-7 pubmed
- Tangcharoensathien V, Prakongsai P. Regional public health education: current situation and challenges. Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:903-4 pubmed
- Laraia B, Dodds J, Benjamin S, Jones S, Carbone E. Can distance education prepare future public health nutritionists? A case study. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008;40:34-8 pubmed publisher..The findings indicate that DE strategies were suitable to deliver an MPH curriculum in nutrition. The majority of PPPN graduates experienced job advancement and demonstrated leadership development. ..
- Arnold L, Schneider D. Advising the newest faces of public health: a perspective on the undergraduate student. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:1374-80 pubmed publisher..The perspective and comments presented here are largely based on the authors' nearly 30 years of combined experience in undergraduate public health education. ..
- Cianciara D. [Learning outcomes in public health education in Poland according to international settlements]. Przegl Epidemiol. 2009;63:325-32 pubmed..An urgent need of change of educational standards for public health field of study was underlined. This is closely related to the need of national debate on public health functions. ..
- Ballard D. The comparative effectiveness and safety emerging methods symposium: a tribute to Harry A. Guess: father and consummate leader of pharmacoepidemiology. Med Care. 2007;45:S3-4 pubmed
- Vecerek V. Two differentiated programs of veterinary medical education at the university of veterinary and pharmaceutical sciences in the Czech Republic. J Vet Med Educ. 2006;33:197-205 pubmed..One of the important end results of this structure is that it fulfills the growing and important mission of providing a critical number of veterinarians in food safety and all of its allied fields. ..
- Richter E, Berman T. Environmental and occupational medicine and injury prevention: education and impact, classroom and community. Public Health Rev. 2002;30:277-92 pubmed..Implementing the above recommendations will strengthen academic investigation and impact. ..
- GARRISON E. The Diné Educational Philosophy (DEP) and its incorporation into the Associate of Science Degree Program in Public Health at Diné College. J Interprof Care. 2007;21 Suppl 2:64-78 pubmed
- Sielski J. What is the prescription for a healthier Michigan? Annual scientific meeting explores answers. Mich Med. 2004;103:16 pubmed
- Normand C. Student criteria, assessment, involvement in planning of MPH contents, and follow-up. Public Health Rev. 2002;30:109-16 pubmed
- Berry E, Fatunmbi B, Kaluski D. Teaching nutrition in an International Master of Public Health program. Public Health Rev. 2002;30:311-26 pubmed..3. To suggest methods of intervention according to priorities. 4. To monitor the effects of such interventions. 5. To assess the scientific evidence underlying the connections between diet and disease. ..
- Glover E. ViewPoint: conversation with Elbert D. Glover. Interview by Molly T. Laflin and David R. Black. Am J Health Behav. 2003;27:657-69 pubmed
- Armenian H. Epidemiology: a problem-solving journey. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:127-31 pubmed publisher..Public health action, problem solving, and a sense of mission are what brings many students to epidemiology. A problem-solving, action-oriented epidemiology is consistent with that sense of mission. ..
- Hughes R. Definitions for public health nutrition: a developing consensus. Public Health Nutr. 2003;6:615-20 pubmed..The limitations of using word-for-word definitions between and within countries may be overcome by explicit use of the consensus descriptors identified in this process. ..
- Don R. Infant and young child nutrition promotion strategies--the Malaysian experience. Forum Nutr. 2003;56:234-6 pubmed
- Dreisinger M, Leet T, Baker E, Gillespie K, Haas B, Brownson R. Improving the public health workforce: evaluation of a training course to enhance evidence-based decision making. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008;14:138-43 pubmed publisher..These data suggest the importance of professional training opportunities in EBPH for public health practitioners. Future endeavors should focus on overcoming the barriers to the dissemination of EBPH. ..
- Bass S, Guttmacher S, Nezami E. Who will keep the public healthy? The case for undergraduate public health education: a review of three programs. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008;14:6-14 pubmed
- Samet J, Savitz D. Education in epidemiology: "The Times They Are a-Changin'". Epidemiology. 2008;19:345-6 pubmed publisher..We offer suggestions for educational programs and professional organizations on approaching these ongoing challenges. ..
- Chaney B, Eddy J, Dorman S, Glessner L, Green B, Lara Alecio R. A primer on quality indicators of distance education. Health Promot Pract. 2009;10:222-31 pubmed..The results of the study reveal common benchmarks and quality indicators that all parties deem important in designing, implementing, and evaluating distance education courses and programs. ..
- Fenwick S, Robertson L, Wilks C. Integrating the issues of global and veterinary public health into the veterinary education curriculum: an Australian perspective. Rev Sci Tech. 2009;28:709-18 pubmed..Finally, conclusions are drawn on the implications of veterinary public health teaching in Australia and the preparation of Australian graduates for the global profession. ..
- Scharff D, Rabin B, Cook R, Wray R, Brownson R. Bridging research and practice through competency-based public health education. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008;14:131-7 pubmed publisher..Graduate students will thus be effectively prepared to respond to the changing demands of the field of public health. ..
- Heller R, Chongsuvivatwong V, Hailegeorgios S, Dada J, Torun P, Madhok R, et al. Capacity-building for public health: http://peoples-uni.org. Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:930-4 pubmed..Several partners have already agreed to be involved and exemplar course modules are being prepared. We call for volunteers to help take this initiative further. ..
- Brodsky A. Concepts and simple rules of thumb, the best tools for training responders. Health Phys. 2005;89:S16-8 pubmed
- Paschal A, Oler Manske J, Kroupa K, Snethen E. Using a community-based participatory research approach to improve the performance capacity of local health departments: the Kansas Immunization Technology Project. J Community Health. 2008;33:407-16 pubmed publisher..Similar training should be considered for other public health programmatic areas. ..
- Rottman S, Shoaf K, Dorian A. Development of a training curriculum for public health preparedness. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2005;Suppl:S128-31 pubmed..This interactive approach aligns with the principles of adult learning, and training evaluations indicate that this method is an effective integration of process and content. ..
- Shield M, Wiesner P, Curran C, Stark G, Rauch S, Stergachis A, et al. The Northwest's Hot Topics in Preparedness forum: a novel distance-learning collaborative. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2005;Suppl:S25-32 pubmed..Web conferencing is a popular, convenient, and effective strategy for delivering training in the rapidly changing field of preparedness across a large geographic region. ..
- Markenson D, Reilly M, DiMaggio C. Public health department training of emergency medical technicians for bioterrorism and public health emergencies: results of a national assessment. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2005;Suppl:S68-74 pubmed..74, 95% CI = 2.68, 2.81). Local and state public health agencies should work with the emergency medical services systems to develop and deliver training with an all-hazards approach to disasters and other public health emergencies. ..
- Ackermann Liebrich U, Nocera S, Merten S. A solution for creating competent health-care specialists: the Swiss School of Public Health+. Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:974-6 pubmed
- Love R. Access to healthy food in a low-income urban community: a service-learning experience. Public Health Rep. 2008;123:244-7 pubmed
- Minicucci L, Hanson K, Olson D, Hueston W. A flexible approach to training veterinarians in public health: an overview and early assessment of the DVM/MPH dual-degree program at the University of Minnesota. J Vet Med Educ. 2008;35:166-72 pubmed publisher..Continued assessment of program graduates will allow for evaluation and adjustment of the program in the coming years. ..
- Kreitner S, Leet T, Baker E, Maylahn C, Brownson R. Assessing the competencies and training needs for public health professionals managing chronic disease prevention programs. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2003;9:284-90 pubmed..The findings can be used to design future competency-based training programs to build the capacity for chronic disease programs in state and territorial health departments. ..
- Ikuta C, Holmstrom L, Carter S, Chandler S, Christian K, Miller Moore S, et al. Public health education in veterinary schools: a student perspective. J Vet Med Educ. 2006;33:155-8 pubmed