Summary: Studies beyond the bachelor's degree at an institution having graduate programs for the purpose of preparing for entrance into a specific field, and obtaining a higher degree.
- Carmel S, Lowenstein A. Addressing a nation's challenge: graduate programs in gerontology in Israel. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2007;27:49-63 pubmed
- Goldman R, Cohen A, Sheahan F. Using seminar blogs to enhance student participation and learning in public health school classes. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:1658-63 pubmed publisher..To be most effective and appealing, assignments for postings need to allow sufficient time for commentary. This educational technology has potential to expand the classroom experience and is worthy of further development and testing. ..
- Slomka J, Quill B, DesVignes Kendrick M, Lloyd L. Professionalism and ethics in the public health curriculum. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 2:27-35 pubmed..The teaching of ethics and professionalism and the experiences of professionals enrich each other and foster the critical link between education and practice. ..
- Mann R. Engineering design education and rehabilitation engineering. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2002;39:23-38 pubmed
- Gilsenan M, Korver O. 15th anniversary of the European Nutrition Leadership Programme: a seminar for young nutrition professionals. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63:1458-9 pubmed publisher..It is held each spring in Luxembourg and has generated an active alumni network of several hundred nutrition scientists since it first began in 1994. www.enlp.eu.com ..
- Saacke R. CASIDA AWARD: Thoughts on the components of a graduate education: importance of the professional family. J Anim Sci. 2007;85:E7-10 pubmedA major component of a successful graduate education is the student's professional family developed throughout the graduate program...
- Yu M. Re: Clin Lab Sci 21(2) D D Beck. May 20, 2008. Progress of the DCLS. Clin Lab Sci. 2008;21:133 pubmed
- Lee R, Nichols W. The doctoral education of professional marriage and family therapists. J Marital Fam Ther. 2010;36:259-69 pubmed publisher..However, underlying this specialty education are three transcendental goals: sophistication of family systems scholarship, socialization into the profession of MFT, and cultivation of professional maturity. ..
- Leibach E. The doctorate in clinical laboratory science: enhanced quality for healthcare. Clin Lab Sci. 2008;21:5-6 pubmed
- Coyne J, McLaughlin E, Cantoni L. Building an international health management graduate curriculum: analyzing faculty survey results. J Health Adm Educ. 2007;24:151-74 pubmed
- Bahr J. Are scientific societies serving the needs of graduate and postdoctoral students?. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2008;20:19-22 pubmed
- Weidekamp Maicher M, Naegele G. [Study concepts for social work with elderly people and planning of a new gerontological master program at the University of Dortmund]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2007;40:417-22 pubmed..Finally, new developments at the University of Dortmund will be presented, among others the concept development of a new master programme "Ageing Societies" (working title). ..
- Graham I. Issues, and the questions they inspire, when one considers the development of European higher education for health care professionals. J Allied Health. 2008;37:e124-39 pubmed..This paper raises some of these talking points in the area of Higher Education and health care strategy. The conclusion of the paper suggests what further debate needs to occur within the European Union if integration is to succeed. ..
- Bentley A, Artavanis Tsakonas S, Stanford J. Nanocourses: a short course format as an educational tool in a biological sciences graduate curriculum. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2008;7:175-83 pubmed publisher..In our view, nanocourses are a useful tool that can supplement graduate-level curricula in varied ways. ..
- Halushka P, Krug E. Is the training of biomedical scientists at a crossroads?. Acad Med. 2009;84:421-3 pubmed publisher..The authors propose a course of action to ensure that trainees are given the necessary opportunities and guidance to help them function effectively in a contemporary teamwork environment with scientific reasoning and logic at its core. ..
- Smith K, Davy J, Rosenberg D. An examination of the validity of the Academic Motivation Scale with a United States business student sample. Psychol Rep. 2010;106:323-41 pubmed..However, in line with a number of previous studies, the correlations between subscales failed to fully support the scale's simplex structure as proposed by self-determination theory. ..
- Hoben K, Varley R, Cox R. Clinical reasoning skills of speech and language therapy students. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2007;42 Suppl 1:123-35 pubmed..We discuss how identification of student diagnostic reasoning difficulties can inform the design of learning materials intended to address these problems. ..
- Tomazou E, Powell G. Look who's talking too: graduates developing skills through communication. Nat Rev Genet. 2007;8:724-6 pubmed publisher..The organization of the first Sanger-Cambridge Ph.D. Symposium provides an example of how students can act to establish forums for their work and we call on other young scientists to do the same. ..
- Leatherdale S, Viehbeck S, Murphy C, Norman C, Schultz A. The tobacco control community of tomorrow: a vision for training. Can J Public Health. 2007;98:30-2 pubmed
- Bengmark D, Nilner M, Rohlin M. Graduates' characteristics and professional situation: a follow-up of five classes graduated from the Malmö model. Swed Dent J. 2007;31:129-35 pubmed..We conclude that the respondents were satisfied with their professional situation as a dentist and that most were interested in postgraduate education. ..
- Fottler M. Re-prioritizing doctoral education in health administration and policy. J Health Adm Educ. 2007;24:201-19 pubmed..This paper analyses why doctoral programs are a low priority, the symptoms of this low priority, implications for the future of health administration education, and recommendations for enhancing that future. ..
- Brumfiel G. Turkish physicists face accusations of plagiarism. Nature. 2007;449:8 pubmed
- Arai K, Cech T, Chameau J, Horn P, Mattaj I, Potocnik J, et al. The future of research universities. Is the model of research-intensive universities still valid at the beginning of the twenty-first century?. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:804-10 pubmed
- Montoya I, Kimball O. A marketing clinical doctorate programs. J Allied Health. 2007;36:107-12 pubmed..Marketing is composed of variables commonly known as "the four P's of marketing": product, price, promotion, and place. This report explores these four P's within the context of clinical doctorates in the health disciplines. ..
- ..Following completion of all the dissections, the students presented what they had learned to the entire class in the anatomy laboratory. This course has fulfilled an important need for our students. ..
- Miller J. Competency-based training: objective structured clinical exercises (OSCE) in marriage and family therapy. J Marital Fam Ther. 2010;36:320-32 pubmed publisher..The article concludes with suggestions of how to continue the development of the OSCE for evaluation in MFT education. ..
- Bonifas R, Fredriksen Goldsen K, Bailey K. Recognizing the importance of aging skills and knowledge in generalist social work practice: effective strategies for MSW students. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2009;30:205-25 pubmed publisher..Although the majority of students endorsed aging issues as important to social work in general, many did not understand its relevance to their own careers. Next steps are outlined to enable students to make this important connection. ..
- Parkes M, Spiegel J, Breilh J, Cabarcas F, Huish R, Yassi A. Promoting the health of marginalized populations in Ecuador through international collaboration and educational innovations. Bull World Health Organ. 2009;87:312-9 pubmed
- Walker S. Writing your postgraduate dissertation: a basic framework. J R Nav Med Serv. 2009;95:92-6 pubmed..The research question needs to be given careful consideration so that the aims and objectives of the postgraduate research project are fulfilled. ..
- Johnson Dalzine P. Preparing social work students to work with grandparents in kinship care: an approach to infusion of content materials into selected core social work courses. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2007;48:405-20 pubmed
- Cherry R, Davis T. The road to developing an advanced degree program in public health preparedness. Acad Med. 2007;82:773-80 pubmed..The program is geared toward the practicing professional already working in the field, and its graduates are positioned to be among the top leaders, educators, and researchers in homeland security. ..
- Cole B, Wessel J. How clinical instructors can enhance the learning experience of physical therapy students in an introductory clinical placement. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2008;13:163-79 pubmed..Physical therapy students value CIs who involve them in patient care; confirm, challenge and prepare them for learning; respect their input and model professional behavior. ..
- Black J, Morris T, Harbert A, Mathias C. Educational collaboration in psychiatric disability, rehabilitation, and recovery: developing transformative solutions. J Soc Work Disabil Rehabil. 2008;7:163-86 pubmed publisher..Current successes, future challenges, and strategies for the partnership collaborative in their task of developing a workforce are addressed. ..
- Pind J. Gudmundur Finnbogason, "sympathetic understanding," and early Icelandic psychology. Hist Psychol. 2008;11:75-100 pubmed publisher..Here he attempted to establish psychology as an independent discipline. In this he was unsuccessful; his chair was abolished in 1924. ..
- Swift J, Callahan J. Early psychotherapy processes: an examination of client and trainee clinician perspective convergence. Clin Psychol Psychother. 2009;16:228-36 pubmed publisher..1% of the time. Training and practice implications are discussed. ..
- Griebling S, Zayas V, Borders C, Moore E, Sokol A, Brydon Miller M, et al. Exploring the relationship between faculty, students, and the Social and Behavioral Ethics Review Committee through action research. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2009;4:27-36 pubmed publisher..Finally, we consider the ways in which action research can be used to better understand and address institutional problems through effective collaboration and dialogue. ..
- Ginns P, Marsh H, Behnia M, Cheng J, Scalas L. Using postgraduate students' evaluations of research experience to benchmark departments and faculties: issues and challenges. Br J Educ Psychol. 2009;79:577-98 pubmed publisher..Consistent with earlier research based on comparisons across universities, the SREQ is shown to be almost completely unreliable in terms of benchmarking faculties or departments within a university. ..
- Gannon F. Jack-of-all-trades. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:791 pubmed
- Francis M, Doudna Cate J. Chemical biology at Berkeley. ACS Chem Biol. 2007;2:702-5 pubmed
- Chan L, Jette A, Ottenbacher K, Robinson L, Tietsworth M, Ricker J, et al. Building a research program in rehabilitation sciences, Part II: case studies: University of Texas Medical Branch, Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Washington. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2009;88:667-78 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, it is crucial to have the support of the dean, academic institution, and medical center. This seems to be a prerequisite for success in this area. ..
- Hall G, Allard C. Application to graduate psychology programs by undergraduate students of color: the impact of a research training program. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2009;15:223-9 pubmed publisher..Participation in summer research training programs also increased self-perceptions of multicultural competence. ..
- Jameson J, Blank M, Chambless D. If we build it, they might come: an empirical investigation of supply and demand in the recruitment of rural psychologists. J Clin Psychol. 2009;65:723-35 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that efforts to recruit psychologists to rural areas should be rethought, and increasing the visibility of available opportunities for psychologists should be made a priority. ..
- Backes G, Klie T, Lasch V. [Status report on gerontological master programmes--Bologna Process, profile and peculiarities]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2007;40:403-16 pubmed..The future will show which of these educational approaches will stand their ground, from the point of view of the students, as well as on the side of the labour market. ..
- Anastas J, Kuerbis A. Doctoral education in social work: what we know and what we need to know. Soc Work. 2009;54:71-81 pubmed..Implications of the findings for the profession are discussed. ..
- Dehn R. What is the impact of postgraduate education for PAs?. JAAPA. 2007;20:52, 54 pubmed
- Lindenmayer J, Schlaff A. The combined master of public health program at Tufts University. J Vet Med Educ. 2008;35:182-6 pubmed publisher..That perspective has been updated as "One Health" and is now being applied in a university environment that emphasizes interdisciplinary education, a global outlook, and civic engagement. ..
- Nunes E, Ferreto L, de Oliveira e Oliveira A, do Nascimento J, de Barros N, Castellanos M. [The field of Collective Health in the courses perspective]. Cien Saude Colet. 2010;15:1917-22 pubmed..9%); Curriculum (7.9%); Systems and Health Services (7.4%), Environment and Health (7.2%) Health Policies (6.3%). ..