Summary: Educational programs designed to inform individuals of recent advances in their particular field of interest. They do not lead to any formal advanced standing.
- Menne H, Ejaz F, Noelker L, Jones J. Direct care workers' recommendations for training and continuing education. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2007;28:91-108 pubmed..Based on a sample of 644 DCWs across the nursing home, assisted living, and home health settings, we share DCWs' perceptions and recommendations for better training and continuing education.
- McWilliam C. Continuing education at the cutting edge: promoting transformative knowledge translation. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2007;27:72-9 pubmedAs the evidence-based practice movement gains momentum, continuing education practitioners increasingly confront the challenge of developing and conducting opportunities for achieving research uptake...
- Austin T, Graber K. Variables influencing physical therapists' perceptions of continuing education. Phys Ther. 2007;87:1023-36 pubmedAs of October 1, 2002, physical therapy continuing education (CE) in Illinois was mandated. Research examining the recent mandate for physical therapists to engage in CE is limited...
- Landers M, McWhorter J, Krum L, Glovinsky D. Mandatory continuing education in physical therapy: survey of physical therapists in states with and states without a mandate. Phys Ther. 2005;85:861-71 pubmedAlthough formal continuing education (CE) in physical therapy is one part of professional development, its value for renewing licensure is not shared by all states...
- Cobb S. Internet continuing education for health care professionals: an integrative review. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2004;24:171-80 pubmed..was to review key articles and research studies on practices, preferences, and evaluation of on-line continuing education used by health care professionals...
- Aylward S, Stolee P, Keat N, Johncox V. Effectiveness of continuing education in long-term care: a literature review. Gerontologist. 2003;43:259-71 pubmedThis review of the literature examines the effectiveness of continuing education programs in long-term care facilities...
- Ellery J, McDermott R, Ellery P. Computers as a formal continuing education tool: moving beyond intention. Am J Health Behav. 2007;31:312-22 pubmed..factors related to health promotion professionals' decisions to use computer-mediated instruction for continuing education (CMI-CE)...
- Townsend E, Sheffield S, Stadnyk R, Beagan B. Effects of workplace policy on continuing professional development: the case of occupational therapy in Nova Scotia, Canada. Can J Occup Ther. 2006;73:98-108 pubmed..The findings are generally applicable to any small, dispersed health profession operating in resource-challenged conditions. ..
- Cahalan M, Abel M, Goldman M, Pearlman A, Sears Rogan P, Russell I, et al. American Society of Echocardiography and Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists task force guidelines for training in perioperative echocardiography. Anesth Analg. 2002;94:1384-8 pubmed
- Kemper K, Gardiner P, Gobble J, Mitra A, Woods C. Randomized controlled trial comparing four strategies for delivering e-curriculum to health care professionals [ISRCTN88148532]. BMC Med Educ. 2006;6:2 pubmed..in any of the three outcomes by delivery strategy, but outcomes were better for those who paid for continuing education credit. All delivery strategies tested similarly improved K, CONF, COMM scores about HDS...
- Cheng B. Problem-based learning and the workplace: do dental hygienists in Hong Kong continue to use the skills acquired in their studies?. J Dent Educ. 2009;73:991-1000 pubmed..However, many different variables affect the effectiveness of applying PBL skills after academic training, especially under the influence of Chinese culture in Hong Kong. ..
- Patterson M, Mechan P, Hughes N, Nelson A. Safe vertical transfer of patient with extremity cast or splint. Orthop Nurs. 2009;28:S18-23 pubmed publisher..This tool was designed with current literature review, ergonomic safety concepts, and technology available. ..
- Madeo M, Roodhouse A. Reducing the risks associated with urinary catheters. Nurs Stand. 2009;23:47-55; quiz 56 pubmed..This article looks at evidence-based guidance and technological innovations aimed at reducing infection risks and improving patient outcomes. ..
- Kruger B, Toker K, Radjenovic D, Comeaux J, Macha K. School nursing for children with special needs: does number of schools make a difference?. J Sch Health. 2009;79:337-46 pubmed publisher..Recommendations are for lower student-to-nurse ratios, improved nursing supervision, and educational support. ..
- Moone R, Cagle J. An analysis of end-of-life content in Aging Network conference proceedings. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2009;30:130-45 pubmed publisher..This study analyzed another aspect of education: continuing education sessions offered at three major annual conferences for members of the Aging Network...
- Norkus C. Labor market characteristics of veterinary technician specialists in 2007. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2009;235:1303-6 pubmed publisher..Traditional human capital variables such as work experience and job tenure were significantly related to pay rate for VTSs. ..
- McKinley M. Recognizing and responding to acute liver failure. Nursing. 2009;39:38-44; quiz 44-5 pubmed publisher..By quickly recognizing the signs and symptoms of acute liver failure, you can help your patient improve his odds of surviving this often-deadly condition. ..
- Lee S, McElmurry B. Capturing nursing care workflow disruptions: comparison between nursing and physician workflows. Comput Inform Nurs. 2010;28:151-9; quiz 160-1 pubmed publisher..The required research approach to clinical settings is to identify all facets of adverse consequences triggered from the use of a Clinical information system by following the context of nursing care workflow. ..
- Fabris C, Coscia A, Tonetto P, Bertino E, Quadrino S. Counselling in neonatal intensive care unit. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:109-11 pubmed
- Boyd L, Hartman Cunningham M. Survey of diabetes knowledge and practices of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg. 2008;82:43 pubmed..diabetes knowledge, beliefs concerning the disease, and clinical practices to identify professional continuing education needs...
- Dimick C. Computers, coding, and change. J AHIMA. 2008;79:46-9; quiz 51-2 pubmed
- Nelson S. Parkinson's disease. Nurs Stand. 2008;22:59-60 pubmed
- Kahn J, Des Jarlais C, Dobkin L, Barrs S, Greenblatt R. Mentoring the next generation of HIV prevention researchers: a model mentoring program at the University of California San Francisco and Gladstone Institute of Immunology and Virology Center for AIDS research. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47 Suppl 1:S5-9 pubmed publisher..Umbrella organizations, such as the CFAR, are well suited to create and provide highly valued mentoring experiences. ..
- Needle J, Petchey R, Lawrenson J. A survey of the scope of therapeutic practice by UK optometrists and their attitudes to an extended prescribing role. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2008;28:193-203 pubmed publisher..Enabling optometrists to train as independent prescribers will further develop this role, allowing greater use of their skills and providing patients with quicker access to medicines. ..
- Funk M, Lisi A. Conflict of interest policies among institutions and organizations offering chiropractic continuing education. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009;32:303-8 pubmed publisher..governing conflict of interest (COI) among select organizations and institutions offering chiropractic continuing education. Surveys were sent to the following: all North American chiropractic colleges; major national chiropractic ..
- Cothran D, McCaughtry N, Faust R, Garn A, Kulinna P, Martin J. E-mentoring in physical education: promises and pitfalls. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2009;80:552-62 pubmed..The limited use of the chat rooms was likely linked to the teachers' perceptions of electronic mentoring, which included several concerns with the technical and human dimensions of the process. ..
- Murofuse N, Rizzotto M, Muzzolon A, Nicola A. Diagnosis of the situation of health workers and the training process at a regional center for professional health education. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2009;17:314-20 pubmed..The conclusion is that the centers of professional education, jointly with teaching and management institutions, need to clearly define policies for the health sector at a regional level. ..
- Guo R, Bain B, Willer J. Results of an assessment of information needs among speech-language pathologists and audiologists in Idaho. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008;96:138-44 pubmed publisher..Results from this information needs assessment were used to design a training and outreach program on EBP and EBP database searching for SLPs and audiologists in Idaho. ..
- Bodden J. Treatment options in the hemodynamically unstable patient with a pelvic fracture. Orthop Nurs. 2009;28:109-14; quiz 115-6 pubmed publisher..Treatment goals with pelvic fractures that include stabilization of the fracture and maintaining hemodynamic stability will be discussed. ..
- McWilliam J. Acne vulgaris: clinical features, assessment and treatment. Nurs Stand. 2009;23:49-56; quiz 58 pubmed..Acne vulgaris is the most common form of acne. This article outlines the psychological effects of the condition and describes the treatments available. There is also a brief description of other forms of acne. ..
- Hanai K. [Role of certified radiological technicians in computed tomography screening for lung cancer]. Nihon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi. 2008;64:721-4 pubmed
- Taylor D. Expanding knowledge. Providing education to rehabilitation professionals. Rehab Manag. 2008;21:26, 28 pubmed
- Hsu C, Jacobson H, FELDMAN K, Miller J, Rodriguez L, Soto Mas F. Assessing bioterrorism preparedness and response of rural veterinarians: experiences and training needs. J Vet Med Educ. 2008;35:262-8 pubmed publisher..Federal, state, and local health agencies are urged to increase training opportunities and to make additional efforts to involve veterinarians in bioterrorism preparedness and response. ..
- Wood F, Jacobson S. Educating supervisors of employees with diabetes. AAOHN J. 2008;56:262-7 pubmed..The program increased supervisors' reported self-efficacy for supervising employees with diabetes and should improve work life for employees with diabetes, ultimately decreasing employers' health care costs. ..
- Mellor D, Russo S, McCabe M, Davison T, George K. Depression training program for caregivers of elderly care recipients: implementation and qualitative evaluation. J Gerontol Nurs. 2008;34:8-15; quiz 16-7 pubmed..It is recommended that the program be more systematically evaluated in relation to its longer term effects on care provider practices and the well-being of depressed elderly care recipients. ..
- Greene M. 2010 Critical Care Transport Workplace and Salary Survey. Air Med J. 2010;29:222-35 pubmed publisher..Salaries are reported in a national aggregate and by Association of Air Medical Services region. ..
- Beeber A. Building partnerships to continue older adults' residence in the community. J Gerontol Nurs. 2008;34:19-25; quiz 26-7 pubmed..The article concludes with a discussion of the application of interdependence in gerontological nursing practice and research. ..
- Young L, Newell K. Can a clinical continuing education course change behavior in dental hygiene practice?. J Dent Hyg. 2008;82:33 pubmedCan a clinical continuing education course impact practitioner provision of care in everyday practice? National recommendations call for continuing education that is closely linked to practitioner learning at the point of care and for ..
- Levy M, Quanjer P, Booker R, Cooper B, Holmes S, Small I. Diagnostic spirometry in primary care: Proposed standards for general practice compliant with American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society recommendations: a General Practice Airways Group (GPIAG)1 document, in association with the Asso. Prim Care Respir J. 2009;18:130-47 pubmed publisher..This document should therefore challenge current performance and should constitute an aspirational guide for delivery of this service. ..
- Burton M, Nieuwenhuijsen E, Epstein M. Computer-related assistive technology: satisfaction and experiences among users with disabilities. Assist Technol. 2008;20:99-106; quiz 84-5 pubmed publisher..001). Additional research is needed to develop specific survey items focused on users of computer-related ATDs and the evaluation of the psychosocial impact of ATDs on computer users. ..
- Powell A, Davies H, Bannister J, Macrae W. Challenge of improving postoperative pain management: case studies of three acute pain services in the UK National Health Service. Br J Anaesth. 2009;102:824-31 pubmed publisher..Using this literature and adopting a whole-organization quality improvement approach tailored to local circumstances may produce a step-change in the quality of routine postoperative pain management. ..
- Johnson E, Cole E, Merrill R. Environmental health risks associated with off-campus student-tenant housing. J Environ Health. 2009;71:43-9; quiz 51-2 pubmed
- Häggström E, Bruhn S. Caregivers' attitudes to education and supervision in work with the older people in a nursing home. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29:850-4 pubmed publisher..According to the findings there is a need for developing new forms and methods for learning that can be integrated into working life. ..
- Abraham A. Cancer support. Nurs Stand. 2008;22:59 pubmed
- Oordt M, Jobes D, Fonseca V, Schmidt S. Training mental health professionals to assess and manage suicidal behavior: can provider confidence and practice behaviors be altered?. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2009;39:21-32 pubmed publisher..in an empirically-based assessment and treatment approach to suicidal patients administered through a continuing education workshop could meaningfully impact professional practices, clinic policy, clinician confidence, and beliefs ..
- Gallagher J. Intra-abdominal hypertension: detecting and managing a lethal complication of critical illness. AACN Adv Crit Care. 2010;21:205-19 pubmed publisher..Predisposing factors include decreased abdominal wall compliance, increased intraluminal contents, increased peritoneal cavity contents, and capillary leak/fluid resuscitation. ..
- Taylor R, Price Douglas W. The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program: postresuscitation/pretransport stabilization care of sick infants. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2008;22:159-65 pubmed publisherThe S.T.A.B.L.E. Program is the first neonatal continuing education program to focus exclusively on the post-resuscitation/pre-transport stabilization care of sick infants...
- Montonye M, Wintz S, Scrivener W, Jankowski K, Handzo G, Pugliese K. 2009 Spiritual Care Collaborative survey results on continuing education. J Pastoral Care Counsel. 2010;64:4.1-7 pubmedb>Continuing education for chaplains, pastoral counselors and clinical pastoral educators is important for maintaining and advancing professional competency...
- Singisetti K. Postoperative acute compartment syndrome in the nonoperated "well leg": implications to orthopaedic nursing. Orthop Nurs. 2009;28:91-3; quiz 94-5 pubmed publisher..The article reviews the literature to identify and discuss the risk factors for this limb-threatening condition and thus the implications to orthopaedic nursing. ..