Summary: Formal education and training in preparation for the practice of a profession.
- Curran V, Deacon D, Fleet L. Academic administrators' attitudes towards interprofessional education in Canadian schools of health professional education. J Interprof Care. 2005;19 Suppl 1:76-86 pubmed..teamwork and interprofessional education amongst academic administrators of post-secondary health professional education programs in Canada...
- Barr H. Practice-based interprofessional learning. J Interprof Care. 2003;17:5-6 pubmed
- Young S. Research for medical illustrators: designing photographic protocols. J Vis Commun Med. 2008;31:99-102 pubmed publisher..Guidance is given on the control of equipment and processes when designing and piloting a photographic protocol. ..
- Celebi L, Pickel L, Sprouse M, Dyer S, Warren S. Experiences and lessons learned from the formation of a new IEEE EMBS student chapter. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:5651-4 pubmed..Lessons learned center on constitutional issues and the administration of the student design projects. ..
- Cameron J. Medical Artists' Education Trust: postgraduate programme in medical art. J Vis Commun Med. 2007;30:125-8 pubmed
- Lhotska L. Biomedical engineering as health care profession. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:5937-40 pubmed..We show how the legal regulations and European recommendations are reflected in Master study at the Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Electrical Engineering. ..
- Padron J. Experience with post-secondary education for individuals with severe mental illness. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2006;30:147-9 pubmed..I am working on a Master's degree in a Rehabilitation Counselor Education program and face many obstacles due to my psychiatric disability, Bipolar Disorder. ..
- Perkins G, Davies R, Stallard N, Bullock I, Stevens H, Lockey A. Advanced life support cardiac arrest scenario test evaluation. Resuscitation. 2007;75:484-90 pubmed..Further evaluation of the reasons for differences between course centres is required. ..
- Sharma M, Morris E, Soar J. Images in life support training materials?. Resuscitation. 2006;70:160 pubmed
- Watt Watson J, McGillion M, Hunter J, Choiniere M, Clark A, Dewar A, et al. A survey of prelicensure pain curricula in health science faculties in Canadian universities. Pain Res Manag. 2009;14:439-44 pubmed..Two-thirds reported 'integrated' content that was not quantifiable or able to be determined, which may suggest it is not a priority at that site. Many expressed a need for pain-related curriculum resources. ..
- Clark P. Reflecting on reflection in interprofessional education: implications for theory and practice. J Interprof Care. 2009;23:213-23 pubmed publisher..Finally, implications for an expanded understanding and application of reflection for IPE will be discussed, and recommendations made for educational practice and research in this area. ..
- Kent A, Myer L, Flisher A, Mathews C, Lombard C. Introducing HIV/AIDS to South African health sciences students. Med Teach. 2005;27:647-9 pubmed..This programme represents a platform for introducing a 'golden thread' of HIV/AIDS into health sciences curricula in countries profoundly affected by the epidemic. ..
- Whitman M, Davis J. Implementing cultural and linguistic competence in healthcare management curriculum. J Health Adm Educ. 2008;25:109-26 pubmed..A core competency model is presented along with discussion suggestions and student activities designed to make the learning process intellectually stimulating and improve student receptivity. ..
- Lidskog M, Lofmark A, Ahlstrom G. Learning through participating on an interprofessional training ward. J Interprof Care. 2009;23:486-97 pubmed publisher..The findings indicate that in the planning of interprofessional education the choice of setting and learning situations is crucial with regard to the learning that will occur. ..
- Caruana A, Pitt L, Berthon P, Berthon J. Psychometric properties of the Brand Personality Scale: evidence from a business school. Psychol Rep. 2007;100:789-94 pubmed..Managerial and research implications and limitations are noted. ..
- Shah S, Farrow A. Investigation of practices and procedures in the use of therapeutic diathermy: a study from the physiotherapists' health and safety perspective. Physiother Res Int. 2007;12:228-41 pubmed..However, field observations of practices and procedures, and the working environment, have identified issues with a potential to create health and safety problems, and these should be addressed. ..
- Dahlgren L. Interprofessional and problem-based learning: a marriage made in heaven?. J Interprof Care. 2009;23:448-54 pubmed publisher..PBL springs from the idea of bringing learning closer to the application of knowledge in every day life. It has been widely adopted as an interprofessional learning method, for example at Linkøping in Sweden. ..
- Knis Matthews L, Bokara J, DeMeo L, Lepore N, Mavus L. The meaning of higher education for people diagnosed with a mental illness: four students share their experiences. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2007;31:107-14 pubmed..However, the symptoms and stigma associated with their mental illness has created additional challenges for them while in a school setting. Supportive professors and counselors were viewed as helpful in overcoming these barriers. ..
- Génova G, González M, Fraga A. Ethical education in software engineering: responsibility in the production of complex systems. Sci Eng Ethics. 2007;13:505-22 pubmed..In order to educate responsible professionals, however, this position should be complemented with a pedagogical approach to virtue ethics. ..
- Medina L E, Kaempffer R A. [The health careers teaching system in Chile]. Rev Med Chil. 2007;135:1346-54 pubmed publisher..There is a disharmonic growth of University teaching in Chile, that will solve historical deficits of professionals such as nurses but will introduce important changes in Chilean medicine. ..
- Finch P. The changing motivation of massage therapy students. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2007;20:26 pubmed..extrinsic (external reward) value complexes in a class of massage therapy students changed during their professional education. The research was a quasi-experimental within-subject design, in which survey data was collected from ..
- Weidner T, Popp J. Peer-assisted learning and orthopaedic evaluation psychomotor skills. J Athl Train. 2007;42:113-9 pubmed..Peer-assisted learning should be deliberately integrated into athletic training education programs to enhance student learning and collaboration. ..
- Lindqvist S, Duncan A, Shepstone L, Watts F, Pearce S. Case-based learning in cross-professional groups - the development of a pre-registration interprofessional learning programme. J Interprof Care. 2005;19:509-20 pubmed
- May S. Classification by McKenzie mechanical syndromes: a survey of McKenzie-trained faculty. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2006;29:637-42 pubmed..This classification system may have valuable clinical use in managing patients with spine pain. ..
- Oberprieler G, Masters K, Gibbs T. Information technology and information literacy for first year health sciences students in South Africa: matching early and professional needs. Med Teach. 2005;27:595-8 pubmed
- Akers L, Gordon J, Andrews J, Barckley M, Lichtenstein E, Severson H. Cost effectiveness of changing health professionals' behavior: training dental hygienists in brief interventions for smokeless tobacco cessation. Prev Med. 2006;43:482-7 pubmed..Self-study may be a more cost effective method than workshops to achieve behavior change among motivated health professionals. ..
- Schwartz Ilan D, Goldberg A, Pliskin J, Peled R, Shvarts S. Integration of Health Systems Management Bachelors Program graduates into the Israeli healthcare market. J Health Adm Educ. 2005;22:345-57 pubmed..The graduates encountered difficulties in their absorption into management roles in the public health system and feel that the extent of their abilities has yet to be fully recognized and utilized by the system. ..
- Meulenbroek L, de Jong F. Trainee experience in relation to voice handicap, general coping and psychosomatic well-being in female student teachers: a descriptive study. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2010;62:47-54 pubmed publisher..Speech therapists should also be encouraged to change the student's passive coping behaviour into a more active method and to stimulate the student to implement a new coping attitude into new trainee activities. ..
- Czech M, Hermanowski T, Kocic I, Lis J, Nowakowska E. [Educational standards of the Polish Pharmacoeconomic Society]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2009;27:400-3 pubmed..The standards may also serve as guidelines for educators in this area. ..
- Hayes C. Deconstructing the 'ivory tower': building strategic curricula for health. Br J Nurs. 2009;18:1068-74 pubmed
- Hayward K, Kochniuk L, Powell L, Peterson T. Changes in students' perceptions of interdisciplinary practice reaching the older adult through mobile service delivery. J Allied Health. 2005;34:192-8 pubmed
- Smith M, Windmill I. A comparison of entrance and graduation requirements for the Au.D. with other first professional degrees. J Am Acad Audiol. 2006;17:321-30 pubmed..The comparison with first professional degree programs yields information for possible further evolution of the education of audiologists. ..
- Benjamin L. A history of clinical psychology as a profession in America (and a glimpse at its future). Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2005;1:1-30 pubmed..It concludes with a discussion of some of the contemporary concerns in the profession and how those might impact the future practice of clinical psychologists. ..
- Hoffman S, Harnish D. The merit of mandatory interprofessional education for pre-health professional students. Med Teach. 2007;29:e235-42 pubmed publisher..Based on these changes, mandatory IPE for pre-health professional students is merited but additional research on this topic is necessary. ..
- Lane C, Rollnick S. The use of simulated patients and role-play in communication skills training: a review of the literature to August 2005. Patient Educ Couns. 2007;67:13-20 pubmed..Given the expense of using simulated patients, educators should be made aware of cheaper alternatives that may be equally effective in facilitating the acquisition of communication skills. ..
- King F, Smith B, Mathews M. Health professions' education and practice: A commentary on transformation through the internet. J Allied Health. 2006;35:174-8 pubmed..In this report, the authors focus attention on the use of distance learning/distance education technologies and their relationship to, and use in, the health professions. ..
- Cooper H, Spencer Dawe E. Involving service users in interprofessional education narrowing the gap between theory and practice. J Interprof Care. 2006;20:603-17 pubmed..Findings also revealed benefits for facilitators and service users. ..
- Harvey E, Stanton S, Garrett J, Neils Strunjas J, Warren N. A case for genetics education: collaborating with speech-language pathologists and audiologists. Am J Med Genet A. 2007;143A:1554-9 pubmed..followed with a review of a new genetics-education website developed by the National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (NCHPEG), the University of Cincinnati, and the National Society of Genetic Counselors...
- Kinghorn S. Delivering multiprofessional web-based psychosocial education: the lessons learnt. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2005;11:432-7 pubmed..The delivery of this module indicates that there is scope for helping multiprofessional staff develop their knowledge and skills in psychosocial care. ..
- Gao X, Jackson T, Chen H, Liu Y, Wang R, Qian M, et al. There is a long way to go: a nationwide survey of professional training for mental health practitioners in China. Health Policy. 2010;95:74-81 pubmed publisher..Finally, on-the-job supervision and continuing education should be mandated within discipline-specific training programs. ..
- Schofield R. Office of Justice Programs focuses on studying and preventing elder abuse. J Forensic Nurs. 2006;2:150-3 pubmed
- Otis Green S, Ferrell B, Spolum M, Uman G, Mullan P, Baird R, et al. An overview of the ACE Project-advocating for clinical excellence: transdisciplinary palliative care education. J Cancer Educ. 2009;24:120-6 pubmed publisher..See the Advocating for Clinical Excellence Project Web site (www.cityofhope.org/ACEproject) for additional course information. ..
- Frimberger E, von Delius S, Rosch T, Karagianni A, Schmid R, Prinz C. A novel and practicable ERCP training system with simulated fluoroscopy. Endoscopy. 2008;40:517-20 pubmed publisher..The new X-Vision ERCP Training System is simple and effective. A first evaluation in the context of an ERCP course showed impressive results. ..
- Howard D, Williams C, Sen S, Shah A, Daurka J, Bird R, et al. A simple effective clean practice protocol significantly improves hand decontamination and infection control measures in the acute surgical setting. Infection. 2009;37:34-8 pubmed publisher..The CPP is a highly effective auditing and educational tool that can be readily adapted for use in hospitals globally to monitor and improve infection-control practices. ..
- Betlehem J, Kukla A, Deutsch K, Marton Simora J, Nagy G. The changing face of European healthcare education: the Hungarian experience. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29:240-5 pubmed publisher..MSc programs are still being discussed. ..
- Stanton J. Literature review of safe use of cricoid pressure. J Perioper Pract. 2006;16:250-1, 253-7 pubmed..To ensure that the patient is adequately protected from acid aspiration syndrome, the anaesthetic practitioner should be aware of the dangers of faulty technique when utilising Sellick's manoeuvre. ..
- Oliver D. Palliative care education in Croatia. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2005;11:419 pubmed
- Patricio M, den Engelsen C, Tseng D, ten Cate O. Implementation of the Bologna two-cycle system in medical education: where do we stand in 2007? - results of an AMEE-MEDINE survey. Med Teach. 2008;30:597-605 pubmed publisher..Our findings point in the direction of a diversification regarding curricula structure. There is a need for clarity and dialogue on many aspects of Medical Education. The Bologna process could serve as a vehicle to reach this goal. ..