self evaluation programs
Summary: Educational programs structured in such a manner that the participating professionals, physicians, or students develop an increased awareness of their performance, usually on the basis of self-evaluation questionnaires.
- Assael L. Test yourself: the readers circle, oral and maxillofacial surgery self assessment tool and board recertification. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:1067-8 pubmed
- James D, Nastasic S, Horne R, Davies G. The design and evaluation of a simulated-patient teaching programme to develop the consultation skills of undergraduate pharmacy students. Pharm World Sci. 2001;23:212-6 pubmed..Providing skills training around the consultation process, using simulated patients, provides pharmacists with a good framework around which to practice pharmaceutical care. ..
- Dahlgren L, Eriksson B, Gyllenhammar H, Korkeila M, Sääf Rothoff A, Wernerson A, et al. To be and to have a critical friend in medical teaching. Med Educ. 2006;40:72-8 pubmed..The majority of the feedback provided was positive and valuable. To be and to have a critical friend is worth the extra workload. Therefore, the critical friend concept should be made part of regular teaching practice. ..
- Orlikoff J, Totten M. Board meeting evaluation. Improve board performance through continuous inquiry. Healthc Exec. 2005;20:44, 46-7 pubmed
- Wehrs V, Pfäfflin M, May T. E-learning courses in epilepsy--concept, evaluation, and experience with the e-learning course "genetics of epilepsies". Epilepsia. 2007;48:872-9 pubmed..The study indicates e-learning courses are an appropriate tool to improve knowledge of physicians in genetics of epilepsy. ..
- Bookhan V, Becker L, Oosthuizen M. Criteria referenced student self-assesment in restorative dentistry. SADJ. 2005;60:161-6 pubmed..05). There were no significant differences between student self-assessment and supervisor-assessment. The criteria referenced assessment system used to assess clinical competency in Restorative Dentistry is valid and reliable. ..
- Kwansa T. On reflection: self-assessment in learning. Pract Midwife. 2006;9:25-7 pubmed
- Schmitz T, Rowley H, Kawahara T, Johnson S. Neural correlates of self-evaluative accuracy after traumatic brain injury. Neuropsychologia. 2006;44:762-73 pubmed..The results suggest that one's post-injury level of self-referential insight is related to a network inclusive of the medial and right dorsal PFC. ..
- Kitchener B, Jorm A. Mental health first aid training for the public: evaluation of effects on knowledge, attitudes and helping behavior. BMC Psychiatry. 2002;2:10 pubmed..Mental Health First Aid training appears to be an effective method of improving mental health literacy which can be widely applied. ..
- Betson C, Fielding R, Wong G, Chung S, Nestel D. Evaluation of two videotape instruction programmes on how to break bad news--for Cantonese-speaking medical students in Hong Kong. J Audiov Media Med. 1997;20:172-7 pubmed..However, students using the Chinese tape rated skills as more useful than those using the English tape. The videotapes were useful in teaching communication skills. Culturally relevant audiovisual materials were more effective. ..
- Laffrey S, Asawachaisuwikrom W. Development of an exercise self-efficacy questionnaire for older Mexican American women. J Nurs Meas. 2001;9:259-73 pubmed..The exercise self-efficacy questionnaire can be used in research with older Mexican American women and should be tested with men and with younger men and women to explore its usefulness with these populations. ..
- Chen L, Gregory J, Camp C, Juskewitch J, Pawlina W, Lachman N. Learning to lead: self- and peer evaluation of team leaders in the human structure didactic block. Anat Sci Educ. 2009;2:210-7 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the need for increased communication between team leaders and members, along with creation of a mutually respectful environment, to improve leader awareness of their abilities and foster team success. ..
- Brass E, Vassil T, Replogle A, Hwang P, Rusche S, Shiffman S, et al. Can consumers self-select for appropriate use of an over-the-counter statin? The Self Evaluation of Lovastatin to Enhance Cholesterol Treatment Study. Am J Cardiol. 2008;101:1448-55 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SELECT showed that consumers could use an OTC drug label in an unsupervised setting to appropriately self-select for self-management of their cholesterol with lovastatin. ..
- Quinn F, Keogh P, McDonald A, Hussey D. A pilot study comparing the effectiveness of conventional training and virtual reality simulation in the skills acquisition of junior dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2003;7:13-9 pubmed..The most common reasons cited for the preference of conventional training were excessive critical feedback (55%), lack of personal contact (50%) and technical hardware difficulties (20%) associated with VR-based training. ..
- Carlson K. Knowledge assessment and preparation for the certified emergency nurses examination. J Emerg Nurs. 2007;33:45-6 pubmed..ENA has developed educational materials that can be used as further resources for CEN preparation: Emergency Nursing Core Curriculum and CEN Review Manual. ..
- Hunter M, Oliver R, Lewis R. The effect of a community dental service outreach programme on the confidence of undergraduate students to treat children: a pilot study. Eur J Dent Educ. 2007;11:10-3 pubmed
- Bourne D, Davison A. A self-paced course in pharmaceutical mathematics using web-based databases. Am J Pharm Educ. 2006;70:116 pubmed
- Combes J. Self-evaluation: the foundation for board improvement. Trustee. 2006;59:26, 32 pubmed
- Eriksson M, Appelros P, Norrving B, Terent A, Stegmayr B. Assessment of functional outcome in a national quality register for acute stroke: can simple self-reported items be transformed into the modified Rankin Scale?. Stroke. 2007;38:1384-6 pubmed..853. The study shows that self-reported functional outcome can be transformed into mRS grades with a high precision, making the translation useful for future comparative purposes in stroke outcome studies. ..
- Joe G, Broome K, Rowan Szal G, Simpson D. Measuring patient attributes and engagement in treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2002;22:183-96 pubmed..Prediction analyses were conducted using selected scales from each measurement domain to illustrate their sensitivity to treatment program contexts. ..
- Timmermans B, De Bodt M, Wuyts F, Van de Heyning P. Voice quality change in future professional voice users after 9 months of voice training. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2004;261:1-5 pubmed..5 ( P<0.001)] and the self-evaluation [Voice Handicap Index, from 23 to 18.4 ( P=0.016)] for the trained group only. This outcome favors the systematic introduction of voice training during the schooling of professional voice users. ..
- Ledet L, Esparza C, Peloquin S. The conceptualization, formative evaluation, and design of a process for student professional development. Am J Occup Ther. 2005;59:457-66 pubmed..The development and iteration of the process is offered as a case for consideration by other educators engaged in similar efforts. ..
- Bowles N, Mackintosh C, Torn A. Nurses' communication skills: an evaluation of the impact of solution-focused communication training. J Adv Nurs. 2001;36:347-54 pubmed..Solution focused brief therapy provides a framework and easily understood tool-kit that are harmonious with nursing values. ..
- Cameron C, Phillips S, Chasteen J. Outcomes comparison of solo-practitioner and group practice models. J Dent Educ. 1998;62:163-71 pubmed..These results suggest that the group practice model, through the dedication of resources and collaboration of providers, could enhance the outcomes of the clinical education program. ..
- Garg A, Serwint J, Higman S, Kanof A, Schell D, Colon I, et al. Self-efficacy for smoking cessation counseling parents in primary care: an office-based intervention for pediatricians and family physicians. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2007;46:252-7 pubmed..05). Posttraining, both pediatricians and family physicians who participated in an office-based smoking cessation counseling program had significantly higher scores in all 4 self-efficacy domains (P < .01). ..
- Defrasne Ait Said E, Groslambert A, Courty D. Validation of a pictorial rating scale for grip strength evaluation in 3- to 6-year-old children. Neurosci Lett. 2007;420:150-4 pubmed..To conclude, this pictorial rating scale appears to be a valid tool to investigate accurately the child's ability to produce grip forces in young children from 5-year-old and over. ..
- Oh R, Junnila J, Seehusen D, Edwards J, Runkle G. Maintenance of skills for today's family physician: the SAGE approach to physician learning. Mil Med. 2005;170:1012-5 pubmed..System-based solutions, in keeping with suggestions from the Institute of Medicine, are introduced. ..
- Bazemore A, Xierali I, Petterson S, Phillips R, Rinaldo J, Puffer J, et al. American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) maintenance of certification: variations in self-assessment modules uptake within the 2006 cohort. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010;23:49-58 pubmed publisher..Understanding barriers to uptake is essential if the specialty boards are to meet their obligations to the public to promote quality of care through Maintenance of Certification for all physicians. ..
- Morrison C, Ross L, Fogle T, Butler A, Miller J, Dillon G. Relationship between performance on the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Self-Assessment and USMLE Step 1 for U.S. and Canadian medical school students. Acad Med. 2010;85:S98-101 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that CBSSA can provide students with a realistic self-assessment of their readiness to take Step 1. ..
- Baker J. Student participation assessment tool. Nurse Educ. 2002;27:19 pubmed
- Condon J. Using criticisms to elicit and meet unit-based learning needs. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2001;17:190-4 pubmed..It is also argued that this strategy has the potential to equip staff nurses to move more independently from criticism to problem setting and problem solving. ..
- Blomberg R, Harmon R, Waldhoff S. One more time: improve your board through self-assessment. Hosp Top. 2004;82:25-9 pubmed..Finally, the authors discuss board development as a functional responsibility of the board. In that context, they present self-evaluation as one opportunity for a board to tangibly embrace its education and development responsibilities. ..
- Schuepfer G, Jöhr M. Generating a learning curve for penile block in neonates, infants and children: an empirical evaluation of technical skills in novice and experienced anaesthetists. Paediatr Anaesth. 2004;14:574-8 pubmed..65-12.9%). For blocks 41-60, the failure rate was 4.4% (95% CI 0.54-15.15%). Penile block in children is easily learned by residents. A steep learning curve was found. The success rate was over 93.5% after more than 40 blocks. ..
- Hussar D. New drugs of 2003. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2004;44:168-206; quiz 207-10 pubmed..An understanding of the properties of these agents is important for the pharmacist to effectively counsel patients about their use and to serve as a valuable source of information for other health professionals regarding these drugs. ..
- Brocklehurst N, Rowe A. The development and application of a public health skills assessment tool for use in primary care organisations. Public Health. 2003;117:165-72 pubmed
- Dalton F. Using 360 degree feedback mechanisms. You can harness their power and utility by following these seven best practices. Occup Health Saf. 2005;74:28, 30 pubmed
- Canham J. The classification of specialist student practice: results of an exploratory study. Nurse Educ Today. 2001;21:487-95 pubmed..The marked assessment of practice was implemented in September 2000; to date progress has been remarkably unproblematic with practice educators and students accepting the process with relative ease and much enthusiasm. ..
- Witham M, Kendall P. A prospective, physician self-reported adverse incident audit on a general medical unit. J Qual Clin Pract. 2001;21:61-5 pubmed..It is concluded that this technique is an easily implementable addition to the more traditional methods used for quality improvement within general medicine. ..
- Ward M, Gruppen L, Regehr G. Measuring self-assessment: current state of the art. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2002;7:63-80 pubmed..Future efforts to elucidate self-assessment phenomena need to consider the implications of this review. ..
- Haley J. Experience shown to affect communication skills of nurse case managers. Care Manag J. 2007;8:50-7 pubmed..The study findings suggest additional training is needed for nurse case managers in the use of communication skill options. ..
- Rosenberg H, Grad H, Matear D. The effectiveness of computer-aided, self-instructional programs in dental education: a systematic review of the literature. J Dent Educ. 2003;67:524-32 pubmed..Our study concluded that CAL is as effective as other methods of teaching and can be used as an adjunct to traditional education or as a means of self-instruction. ..
- Hardy J, Van der Linden P. Blood conservation and the management of perioperative blood transfusions in a patient undergoing major vascular surgery: a Self-Assessment Program. Can J Anaesth. 2005;52:344-5 pubmed
- Serio C, Epperly T. Physician leadership: a new model for a new generation. Fam Pract Manag. 2006;13:51-4 pubmed
- Golembiewski J, Chernin E, Chopra T. Prevention and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005;62:1247-60; quiz 1261-2 pubmed..Prophylactic antiemetic therapy for PONV is effective, but combinations of agents may be necessary for high-risk patients. Nonpharmacologic strategies are also important. ..
- Orlikoff J, Totten M. Trustee workbook 4. Board self-evaluation turns 20: lessons learned and future trends. Trustee. 2005;58:17-20 pubmed
- Biernat K, Simpson D, Duthie E, Bragg D, London R. Primary care residents self assessment skills in dementia. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2003;8:105-10 pubmed..Implications for teaching and assessment consistent with the ACGME required competency assessment category of professionalism are discussed. ..
- Ziegelstein R, Fiebach N. "The mirror" and "the village": a new method for teaching practice-based learning and improvement and systems-based practice. Acad Med. 2004;79:83-8 pubmed..PBLI and SBP can be introduced effectively in residency training by incorporating specific activities that use the metaphors of the mirror and the village. ..
- Ibarreta G, McLeod L. Thinking aloud on paper: an experience in journal writing. J Nurs Educ. 2004;43:134-7 pubmed..In the evaluation of this experience, students reported increased abilities in critical thinking and self-directed learning. These two important concepts complement each other in the students' learning processes. ..
- Hayashino Y, Fukuhara S, Matsui K, Noguchi Y, Minami T, Bertenthal D, et al. Quality of care associated with number of cases seen and self-reports of clinical competence for Japanese physicians-in-training in internal medicine. BMC Med Educ. 2006;6:33 pubmed..The learning curve tapered after about 200 cases. ..
- Murdoch Eaton D. Reflective practice skills in undergraduates. Acad Med. 2002;77:734 pubmed..Critical self-appraisal skills are fundamental to professional competence. This study evaluated the educational contribution of self-assessment during individual students' projects. ..
- Carwile L, Murrell J. Student self-evaluation in clinical education. Radiol Technol. 2002;73:415-22 pubmed..The authors found that student self-evaluation improved the evaluation process for both students and instructors. ..
- Alexander J, Craft S, Baldwin M, Beers G, McDaniel G. The nursing portfolio: a reflection of a professional. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2002;33:55-9 pubmed..For the adult student seeking scholastic or clinical credit for past work or life experiences, the portfolio provides a creative and structured way for this to be obtained without taking a standardized test. ..
- Hunt P, Smith J. Self assessment exercises in emergency medicine. Question 4. Spontaneous pneumothorax secondary to a rupture of subpleural bleb. J R Army Med Corps. 2005;151:192-3, 195-6 pubmed