competency based education
Summary: Educational programs designed to ensure that students attain prespecified levels of competence in a given field or training activity. Emphasis is on achievement or specified objectives.
- Jensen R, Meyer L, Sternberger C. Three technological enhancements in nursing education: informatics instruction, personal response systems, and human patient simulation. Nurse Educ Pract. 2009;9:86-90 pubmed publisher..This paper details the faculty's vision for an ubiquitous information technology curricula, highlighting an undergraduate informatics course, use of a personal response system, and integration of human patient simulations. ..
- Frank J, Mungroo R, Ahmad Y, Wang M, De Rossi S, Horsley T. Toward a definition of competency-based education in medicine: a systematic review of published definitions. Med Teach. 2010;32:631-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first comprehensive systematic review of the medical education literature related to CBE definitions. The themes and definition identified should be considered by educators to advance the field. ..
- Lipp M. A process for developing assessments and instruction in competency-based dental education. J Dent Educ. 2010;74:499-509 pubmed..Assessments, supported by the components described in this process, increase the cognizance of the dental educator and provide mechanisms to evaluate student achievement and instructional effectiveness. ..
- Myers V. Pilot of a diversity leadership competency course for graduate students in healthcare administration. J Health Adm Educ. 2008;25:273-305 pubmed..Recommendations for refinement and replication of the class are also discussed. ..
- Brien L, Legault A, Tremblay N. Affective learning in end-of-life care education: the experience of nurse educators and students. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2008;14:610-4 pubmed..It stressed the importance of strategic teaching for developing interpersonal competencies in end-of-life care, but revealed difficulties for both nurse educators and students in assessing outcomes derived from affective learning. ..
- Moharari R, Rahimi E, Najafi A, Khashayar P, Khajavi M, Meysamie A. Teaching critical appraisal and statistics in anesthesia journal club. QJM. 2009;102:139-41 pubmed publisher..001). Journal clubs can enable residents to develop the knowledge, expertise and enthusiasm needed to undertake research plans and can also enhance their ability in critical thinking and scientific reading. ..
- Bower C. Think local. Health Serv J. 2008;Suppl:1 pubmed
- Maylahn C, Bohn C, Hammer M, Waltz E. Strengthening epidemiologic competencies among local health professionals in New York: teaching evidence-based public health. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 1:35-43 pubmed..Few respondents were trained as epidemiologists, yet most reported they used those skills in the workplace, suggesting a need to strengthen these competencies among non-epidemiologists. ..
- Moser M, Ramiah K, Ibrahim M. Epidemiology core competencies for Master of Public Health students. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 1:59-66 pubmed..The authors emphasize the importance of ongoing refinement of the core competency model with participation from both public health academics and public health practitioners. ..
- Kassam R, Collins J. Validation of a survey instrument to evaluate students' learning during community-based advanced pharmacy practice experiences. Am J Pharm Educ. 2009;73:106 pubmed
- Hagan B. Tools for implementing a competency-based clinical curriculum: the dental school experience. J Vet Med Educ. 2008;35:369-74 pubmed publisher..This article describes the methods used in assessing clinical competency in dental education. ..
- Goodkin D, Pisoni R, Locatelli F, Port F, Saran R. Hemodialysis vascular access training and practices are key to improved access outcomes. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;56:1032-42 pubmed publisher..It is imperative that dialysis clinicians advocate actively for specific dialysis access types on behalf of individual patients. Vascular surgery teaching programs must supervise adequate numbers of fistula procedures for every trainee. ..
- Chenot T, Daniel L. Frameworks for patient safety in the nursing curriculum. J Nurs Educ. 2010;49:559-68 pubmed publisher..2007) in their curriculum; one school exhibited all six. Our findings led to conclusions and recommendations for nurse educators and for future research on patient safety education in the nursing curriculum. ..
- Stucky K, Bush S, Donders J. Providing effective supervision in clinical neuropsychology. Clin Neuropsychol. 2010;24:737-58 pubmed publisher..It is our hope that this article will foster further discussion regarding this complex topic, and eventually enhance training in clinical neuropsychology. ..
- Donoghue A, Durbin D, Nadel F, Stryjewski G, Kost S, Nadkarni V. Perception of realism during mock resuscitations by pediatric housestaff: the impact of simulated physical features. Simul Healthc. 2010;5:16-20 pubmed publisher..Specific physical features were rated as more important than others by subjects. Data from these surveys may be informative in designing future simulation technology. ..
- Glen S. Nursing education--is it time to go back to the future?. Br J Nurs. 2009;18:498-502 pubmed
- Kwok E, Marshall G, Chan A. How to prepare engineers in medicine and biology?. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:2885-8 pubmed publisher..The program will continually update its curriculum and delivery style in response to the industry needs and student evaluation. ..
- Carrico R, Rebmann T, English J, Mackey J, Cronin S. Infection prevention and control competencies for hospital-based health care personnel. Am J Infect Control. 2008;36:691-701 pubmed publisher..The process also may be of use in determining the core competencies and terminal objectives regarding infection prevention and control for health care personnel in other settings. Validation of these results is an important next step. ..
- Gebbie K, Potter M, Quill B, Tilson H. Education for the public health profession: a new look at the Roemer proposal. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 2:18-26 pubmed..We also present one potential three-year DrPH curriculum to stimulate further discussion, while acknowledging the multiple challenges that face any school of public health moving to implement such an education. ..
- Ciesielka D. Using a wiki to meet graduate nursing education competencies in collaboration and community health. J Nurs Educ. 2008;47:473-6 pubmed..The graduate nursing students completing the project created a wiki that not only showcased the community of study, but also gave them a better appreciation of group work. ..
- Ekenze S, Ameh E. Evaluation of relevance of the components of Pediatric Surgery residency training in West Africa. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:801-5 pubmed publisher..Areas that may enhance training outcome include improving exposure to all components through multi-institutional and international collaboration and improving existing facilities. ..
- Middleton D. A standardized nursing mathematics competency program. Nurse Educ. 2008;33:122-4 pubmed publisher..Dimensional analysis is the method that students learn to find solutions to nursing problems that require mathematics and is important to the success of the program. ..
- Suzuki Y, Gibbs T, Fujisaki K. Medical education in Japan: a challenge to the healthcare system. Med Teach. 2008;30:846-50 pubmed publisher..A new postgraduate residency programme, introduced in 2004, hopes to improve general competency levels, while medical schools throughout the country are paying attention to modern medical education and faculty development. ..
- Yee K, Karmali S, Sherman V. Validation of a simple camera navigation trainer. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;209:753-7 pubmed publisher..The simplicity of this training module provides an efficient method of training novice camera operators both within and outside the operating room. ..
- Chandler T, Qureshi K, Gebbie K, Morse S. Teaching emergency preparedness to public health workers: use of blended learning in web-based training. Public Health Rep. 2008;123:676-80 pubmed
- Li S, Paterniti D, Co J, West D. Successful self-directed lifelong learning in medicine: a conceptual model derived from qualitative analysis of a national survey of pediatric residents. Acad Med. 2010;85:1229-36 pubmed publisher..This model could be broadly applicable throughout medical education. ..
- Albanese M, Mejicano G, Mullan P, Kokotailo P, Gruppen L. Defining characteristics of educational competencies. Med Educ. 2008;42:248-55 pubmed publisher..Whether or not these 5 criteria, or some variation of them, become the ultimate defining criteria for what constitutes a competency, they represent an essential step towards clearing the confusion that reigns. ..
- Shaikh N, Lehmann C, Kaleida P, Cohen B. Efficacy and feasibility of teledermatology for paediatric medical education. J Telemed Telecare. 2008;14:204-7 pubmed publisher..We believe that teledermatology has great potential in the education of medical trainees. ..
- Choy I, Okrainec A. Simulation in surgery: perfecting the practice. Surg Clin North Am. 2010;90:457-73 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the evidence supporting the need and justification of simulation in surgical education and explores the existing and potential roles of simulation in the training and evaluation of future surgeons. ..
- Jha V, Setna Z, Al Hity A, Quinton N, Roberts T. Patient involvement in teaching and assessing intimate examination skills: a systematic review. Med Educ. 2010;44:347-57 pubmed publisher..The influences of sexuality and anxiety related to such examinations are explored to some extent, but the psychological impact on learners and patients is not well addressed. ..
- Jordan C, Thomas M, Evans M, Green A. Public policy on competency: how will nursing address this complex issue?. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2008;39:86-91 pubmed..This article provides an overview of international, national, and state perspectives and approaches in addressing the issue of assuring competency from a public policy perspective, including one state's experience to date. ..
- Ragan P, Rowan A, Schulte J, Wiersma S. Florida Epidemic Intelligence Service Program: the first five years, 2001-2006. Public Health Rep. 2008;123 Suppl 1:21-7 pubmed..Among graduates, 83% are employed as epidemiologists, 67% in Florida. Training in local health departments and an emphasis on graduate retention may assist states in strengthening their epidemiologic capacity. ..
- Frassica F, Papp D, McCarthy E, Weber K. Analysis of the pathology section of the OITE will aid in trainee preparation. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1323-8 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the content and type of question on the OITE might enable trainees to prepare more systematically. We determined the content, classified the questions, and quantified the interpretive material. ..
- Gulikers J, Baartman L, Biemans H. Facilitating evaluations of innovative, competence-based assessments: creating understanding and involving multiple stakeholders. Eval Program Plann. 2010;33:120-7 pubmed publisher..Lessons learned will provide guidelines for incorporating the interventions into other evaluations of innovative programs. ..
- Goudreau J, Pepin J, Dubois S, Boyer L, Larue C, Legault A. A second generation of the competency-based approach to nursing education. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 2009;6:Article15 pubmed publisher..Although no rigorous evaluation has been held, comments from students and teachers were collected during the implementation process. Assessment of students' competency levels remains an important issue. ..
- Baillie L, Curzio J. A survey of first year student nurses' experiences of learning blood pressure measurement. Nurse Educ Pract. 2009;9:61-71 pubmed publisher..Students' experiences of learning other clinical skills may also differ, which has implications for healthcare education generally. ..
- Sterkenburg A, Barach P, Kalkman C, Gielen M, ten Cate O. When do supervising physicians decide to entrust residents with unsupervised tasks?. Acad Med. 2010;85:1408-17 pubmed publisher..Future studies should address drivers behind entrustment decisions, correlations with patient outcomes, and tools that enable faculty to justify their entrustment decisions. ..
- Lipp M. An "objectified" competency-based course in the management of malocclusion and skeletal problems. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:543-52 pubmed
- Wilson T, Prinsely P, Patel H, Tassone P. Are trainees being adequately taught myringoplasty? A prospective study of Eastern Deanery otolaryngology trainees' surgical experience. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;266:131-6 pubmed publisher..Myringoplasty outcomes are independent of seniority, if appropriately supervised, implying that otology training in the Eastern Deanery is appropriate. ..
- Planas L, Er N. A systems approach to scaffold communication skills development. Am J Pharm Educ. 2008;72:35 pubmed..The CSD system effectively integrated various types of learning activities and feedback processes. The use of scaffolding strategies appeared to enhance the development of students' communication skills. ..
- Moore Z. Bridging the theory-practice gap in pressure ulcer prevention. Br J Nurs. 2010;19:S15-8 pubmed..This article discusses the importance of education and knowledge in pressure ulcers, and the onus of the nurse to put theory into practice in order to prevent this problem. ..
- Pahinis K, Stokes C, Walsh T, Tsitrou E, Cannavina G. A blended learning course taught to different groups of learners in a dental school: follow-up evaluation. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:1048-57 pubmed..The change in the delivery method influenced the students' comprehension of the material negatively and the learning environment positively, but did not influence online collaboration among students. ..
- Lim R, Diamond R, Chang J, Primm A, Lu F. Using non-feature films to teach diversity, cultural competence, and the DSM-IV-TR outline for cultural formulation. Acad Psychiatry. 2008;32:291-8 pubmed publisher..Documentary, instructional, and public service announcements can be useful in teaching culturally competent assessment and treatment. ..
- Sobie E, Jenkins S, Iyengar R, Krulwich T. Training in systems pharmacology: predoctoral program in pharmacology and systems biology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010;88:19-22 pubmed publisher..Problem-based learning exercises enable students from different experimental and computational backgrounds to design experiments and interpret data quantitatively. ..
- Van Sickle K, Ritter E, Baghai M, Goldenberg A, Huang I, Gallagher A, et al. Prospective, randomized, double-blind trial of curriculum-based training for intracorporeal suturing and knot tying. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;207:560-8 pubmed publisher..Subjects who receive simulation-based training demonstrate superior intraoperative performance of a highly complex surgical skill. Integration of such skills training should become standard in a surgical residency's skills curriculum. ..
- Murrells T, Robinson S, Griffiths P. Assessing competence in nursing. Nurs Manag (Harrow). 2009;16:18-9 pubmed..New pre- and post-registration nursing competencies are being developed, yet there is much debate about how to define and assess competence. This article outlines some of the features of the current debate. ..
- Schubert S, Schnabel K, Winkelmann A. Assessment of spatial anatomical knowledge with a 'three-dimensional multiple choice test' (3D-MC). Med Teach. 2009;31:e13-7 pubmed publisher..Further research should investigate if the higher cost as compared to MCQs using photographs is justified by the assessment of different knowledge and abilities as compared to MCQs using photographs. ..
- Podrazik P, Levine S, Smith S, Scott D, DuBeau C, Baron A, et al. The Curriculum for the Hospitalized Aging Medical Patient program: a collaborative faculty development program for hospitalists, general internists, and geriatricians. J Hosp Med. 2008;3:384-93 pubmed publisher..The program has potential for widespread suitability to all teaching faculty who care for the older hospitalized patient. ..
- Beltran Alcrudo D, Bunn D, Sandrock C, Cardona C. Avian flu school: a training approach to prepare for H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza. Public Health Rep. 2008;123:323-32 pubmed..The course teaches need-to-know facts using highly flexible, interactive, and relevant materials. ..
- Bradshaw C, O Brennan L, McNeely C. Core competencies and the prevention of school failure and early school leaving. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2008;2008:19-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude with a brief review of evidence-based prevention strategies that address the five competencies and identify avenues for future research. ..