15th century history
Summary: Time period from 1401 through 1500 of the common era.
- De Santis I, Del Busso M. [Pharmaceutical pottery in the Museum of History of Medicine of Rome "La Sapienza"]. Med Secoli. 2006;18:313-30 pubmed..Ceramics is one of the most flourishing art in Italy; a revival of its techniques arose just in relation with the 'rebirth' of spices commercial trading in Italy. ..
- Turgut M. Pediatric neurosurgical techniques in the 15th century. J Clin Neurosci. 2008;15:1085-90 pubmed publisher..The sections on neurosurgery are still relevant to modern medicine. The book combines previous knowledge of Greek, Roman, Arabic, and Turkish surgery. Today, Sabuncuo?lu is recognized as a pioneer of pediatric neurosurgery. ..
- Conti A, Gensini G. Doctor-patient communication: a historical overview. Minerva Med. 2008;99:411-5 pubmed..Every physician and, more in general, every health operator, must therefore learn to communicate effectively in the course of his/her medical training, and must continually refine this capacity during his/her professional career. ..
- Ohry A. [From the "teeth-drawer", the "quick-pistol drawer" to the "stent"--the contribution of dentists to history]. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim (1993). 2008;25:39-42, 55 pubmed..The history of general anesthesia is also tightly connected with a few dentists. ..
- Zewail A. Micrographia of the twenty-first century: from camera obscura to 4D microscopy. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2010;368:1191-204 pubmed publisher..Such observations provide the means for visualizing materials behaviour and biological function, with the aim of understanding emergent phenomena in complex systems. ..
- Payette S, Filion L, Delwaide A. Spatially explicit fire-climate history of the boreal forest-tundra (Eastern Canada) over the last 2000 years. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363:2301-16 pubmed
- Sperati G. Craniotomy through the ages. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2007;27:151-6 pubmed
- Norko M. The death penalty in Catholic teaching and medicine: intersections and places for dialogue. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2008;36:470-81 pubmed..An argument is made for sufficient overlap of contemporary purpose between the goals of church and medicine to warrant further dialogue in enhanced and deliberative democratic processes. ..
- Smith C. NeurHistAlert 7. J Hist Neurosci. 2008;17:117-24 pubmed
- Papanikolaou E, Yonkov A. Historical aspects of hypospadias--a literature review. Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2006;48:29-35 pubmed..It is quite apt here to quote Durham Smith on that: "There is nothing new in surgery not previously described". ..
- Jeger I. [The repression of witchcraft in the region around Geneva before the Reformation]. Schweiz Z Gesch. 2002;52:127-32 pubmed
- Gonzalo Rodríguez V, Pérez Albacete M, Perez Castro Ellendt E. [The stone disease]. Arch Esp Urol. 2009;62:623-9 pubmed..We reviewed books and writings of History of Urology and Endourology. To know a little of the history and treatment of lithiasis, the contributions of Spanish urologists, as well as the instruments that made it possible. ..
- Lapin A. [Why should Byzantium be considered as a cradle of clinical geriatrics?]. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2008;158:471-80 pubmed publisher..It survived, however, only in hospitals of occidental monastic orders, which brought their experience from East-Mediterranean area. Their hospitals were than a base for modern health care and for geriatrics. ..
- Silverstein T. Religion: Islamic science fading before colonialism. Nature. 2007;448:864 pubmed
- Murube J. Pterygium: descriptive nomenclature of the past. Ocul Surf. 2008;6:104-7 pubmed
- Legutko J, Pach R, Solecki R, Matyja A, Kulig J. [The history of treatment of groin hernia]. Folia Med Cracov. 2008;49:57-74 pubmed..In conclusion it may be stated that history of groin hernia repair evolved from life-saving procedures in case of incarcerated hernias to elective operations performed within the limits of 1 day surgery. ..
- Alexander J. History of the medical use of silver. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2009;10:289-92 pubmed publisher..Silver also has played an important role in the development of radiology and in improving wound healing. Silver was the most important antimicrobial agent available before the introduction of antibiotics. ..
- Schiffczyk D. [Hospitals in Leipzig. Origin--changes--present]. Hist Hosp. 2004;24:55-97 pubmed
- Manring M, Hawk A, Calhoun J, Andersen R. Treatment of war wounds: a historical review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:2168-91 pubmed publisher..We also discuss how the lessons of history are reflected in contemporary US practices in Iraq and Afghanistan. ..
- Ongaro G. [Peter of Abano and anatomy]. Med Secoli. 2008;20:567-90 pubmed..The table of abdominal muscles, first published in the edition Venetiis 1496 of the Conciliator, is carefully considered. ..
- Guimaraes S, Ghirotto S, Benazzo A, Milani L, Lari M, Pilli E, et al. Genealogical discontinuities among Etruscan, Medieval, and contemporary Tuscans. Mol Biol Evol. 2009;26:2157-66 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, genealogical continuity between ancient and modern populations of the same area does not seem a safe general assumption, but rather a hypothesis that, when possible, should be tested using ancient DNA analysis. ..
- Low J. Operative delivery: yesterday and today. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009;31:132-41 pubmed..The continuing challenge for those responsible for the delivery of the obstetric patient is to continue to examine the indications and appropriate procedures for operative intervention. ..
- Weisshaar E, Konig A, Diepgen T, Eckart W. [About Itching and scabies. Pruritus in medical history--from ancient world to the French revolution]. Hautarzt. 2008;59:1000-6 pubmed publisher..Antiquity was dominated by observations and descriptions but during the course of medical history and particularly since the establishment of dermatology, more and more emphasis has been placed on classification and etiologic research. ..
- Vernazza P. [Influenza in history to the Spanish influenza]. Ther Umsch. 2007;64:605-7 pubmed
- Radojcić B, Jokić R, Grebeldinger S, Meljnikov I, Radojić N. [History of minimally invasive surgery]. Med Pregl. 2009;62:597-602 pubmed..They specially enmphasized the use of laparoscopic access in pediatric surgery which has become a new gold standard in surgical treatment of pediatric patients. ..
- Morea M, De Paulis R. 'Il buso' (the orifice). How much did Leonardo know of the aortic valve?. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2007;8:399-403 pubmed
- IJpma F, van de Graaf R, Pierik E, van Gulik T. [A master's exam in surgical training]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2010;154:A795 pubmed..From the perspective of renewed interest in explicit quality standards and examination of surgeons, the reintroduction of a modern master's exam should perhaps be considered. ..
- Morera B. 500 years ago, 50 years ago... Time of discoveries and foundations. Rev Biol Trop. 2004;52:XIX-XXIII, XXV-XXX pubmed
- Sabra A. The simple ontology of kal?m atomism: an outline. Early Sci Med. 2009;14:68-78 pubmed
- Charlier P. [Who was the "Dame de Beauté?" Scientific study of the remains of Agnes Sorel]. Hist Sci Med. 2006;40:255-63 pubmed..The transfer from Logis Royal gave the opportunity to authenticate her ashes and to clarify the year of her birth, the cause of her death or ... the colour of her hair. ..
- Diamantis A, Magiorkinis E, Androutsos G. Proteinuria: from ancient observation to 19th century scientific study. J Urol. 2008;180:2330-2; discussion 2322 pubmed publisher..Observations on proteinuria span approximately 2,500 years. The work of physicians during the 17th and 18th centuries led to its establishment as a separate clinical entity associated with renal disease. ..
- Thurston A. Paré and prosthetics: the early history of artificial limbs. ANZ J Surg. 2007;77:1114-9 pubmed..What began as a modified crutch with a wooden or leather cup and progressed through many metamorphoses has now developed into a highly sophisticated prosthetic limb made of space-age materials. ..
- Köster D, Lichter J, Lea P, Nurse A. Historical eutrophication in a river-estuary complex in mid-coast Maine. Ecol Appl. 2007;17:765-78 pubmed
- Gunderman R. Idealism and realism. J Am Coll Radiol. 2006;3:710-2 pubmed
- Valianou L, Stathopoulou K, Karapanagiotis I, Magiatis P, Pavlidou E, Skaltsounis A, et al. Phytochemical analysis of young fustic (Cotinus coggygria heartwood) and identification of isolated colourants in historical textiles. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2009;394:871-82 pubmed publisher..The effect of the latter on the morphology of the dyed silk fibres is briefly investigated by scanning electron microscopy. ..
- ..The history of spinal deformity is still maturing as newer procedures continue to be performed on a daily basis. ..
- Churchill J. What's a dentist to do? The art of discernment. Northwest Dent. 2008;87:49-50 pubmed
- Gonzalez Hernandez A, Domínguez Rodríguez M. Migraine in Gilbertus Anglicus' Compendium medicinae. The cases of MS Sloane 3486 and Wellcome MS 537. J Hist Neurosci. 2008;17:147-59 pubmed publisher..This work will analyze how their copyists reduced Anglicus' long theoretical dissertations on the aetiology and semiology of migraine, in order to emphasize the real therapeutic needs of a nonuniversity-trained audience. ..
- Aygen G, Karasu A, Ofluoglu A, Pait G, Toplamaoglu H. The first Anatolian contribution to treatment of sciatica by Serefeddin Sabuncuoglu in the 15th century. Surg Neurol. 2009;71:130-3 pubmed publisher..This study aims to investigate the contribution of Anatolia to neurosurgery through Sabuncuoglu's treatment of sciatica, a problematic and common illness. ..
- Grunert P, Charalampaki P, Ayyad A. Concept and treatment of hydrocephalus in the Greco-Roman and early Arabic medicine. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2007;50:253-64 pubmed
- Glardon P. [Natural history in the 16th Century: historiography, methodology, and perspectives]. Gesnerus. 2006;63:280-98 pubmed
- Grzybowski A. [The history of cocaine in medicine and its importance to the discovery of the different forms of anaesthesia]. Klin Oczna. 2007;109:101-5 pubmed..Eventually they developed the nerve and regional blocking techniques. Nowadays, due to the potential harmful effects of cocaine and the risk of addiction, the indications for the use of cocaine as an anaesthetic are strictly limited. ..