viral hemorrhagic fevers
Summary: A group of viral diseases of diverse etiology but having many similar clinical characteristics; increased capillary permeability, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia are common to all. Hemorrhagic fevers are characterized by sudden onset, fever, headache, generalized myalgia, backache, conjunctivitis, and severe prostration, followed by various hemorrhagic symptoms. Hemorrhagic fever with kidney involvement is HEMORRHAGIC FEVER WITH RENAL SYNDROME.
Publications173 found, 100 shown here
- Exotic emerging viral diseases: progress and challengesThomas W Geisbert
Virology Division, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702 5011, USA
Nat Med 10:S110-21. 2004..Of equal importance, these comparisons highlight critical gaps in our knowledge of these pathogens...
- Treatment of late stage disease in a model of arenaviral hemorrhagic fever: T-705 efficacy and reduced toxicity suggests an alternative to ribavirinBrian B Gowen
Institute for Antiviral Research, Logan, UT, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3725. 2008..Our findings support further pre-clinical development of T-705 for the treatment of severe arenaviral infections...
- Hemorrhagic fever viruses as biological weapons: medical and public health managementLuciana Borio
Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies, Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health, 111 Market Pl, Suite 830, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
JAMA 287:2391-405. 2002..To develop consensus-based recommendations for measures to be taken by medical and public health professionals if hemorrhagic fever viruses (HFVs) are used as biological weapons against a civilian population...
- Pathogenesis of viral hemorrhagic feverMike Bray
Biodefense Clinical Research Branch, Office of Clinical Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 17:399-403. 2005..The synthesis of tissue factor by infected cells can also trigger coagulation. Failure of adaptive immunity through impaired dendritic cell function and lymphocyte apoptosis can have a crucial role in fatal infection...
- Molecular diagnostics of viral hemorrhagic feversChristian Drosten
Department of Virology, Bernhard Nocht Institute of Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Antiviral Res 57:61-87. 2003This review addresses the diagnostics of viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs). In the first part, an overview is given on classical methods of VHF diagnostics as well as novel molecular diagnostic tools...
- Viral haemorrhagic fever and vascular alterationsP Aleksandrowicz
Institut fur Physiologie, Technische Universitat, Medizinische Fakultat, Fetcherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Hamostaseologie 28:77-84. 2008....
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers: current status of endemic disease and strategies for controlDennis J Cleri
Department of Medicine, Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education, 400 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 20:359-93, x. 2006
- Animal models of highly pathogenic RNA viral infections: hemorrhagic fever virusesBrian B Gowen
Institute for Antiviral Research and Department of Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 5600, USA
Antiviral Res 78:79-90. 2008..Such models are sufficient for testing of drugs that directly block viral replication, but may be inadequate for evaluating therapies that depend for their success on the activation or inhibition of host responses...
- Viral hemorrhagic feversAileen M Marty
Battelle Memorial Institute, Suite 601, 1550 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202 4172, USA
Clin Lab Med 26:345-86, viii. 2006..While significant progress has been made over the last several years in dissecting out the molecular biology and pathogenesis of the HF viruses, there are currently no vaccines or drugs licensed available for most of the VHFs...
- Stampidine prevents mortality in an experimental mouse model of viral hemorrhagic fever caused by lassa virusFatih M Uckun
Parker Hughes Center for Clinical Immunology, St Paul, MN 55113, USA
BMC Infect Dis 4:1. 2004....
- Fibroblastic reticular cells and their role in viral hemorrhagic feversKeith E Steele
Division of Pathology, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 7:423-35. 2009b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) caused by Ebola, Marburg and Lassa viruses often manifest as multiple organ dysfunction and hemorrhagic shock with high mortality...
- Complete coding sequence of the Alkhurma virus, a tick-borne flavivirus causing severe hemorrhagic fever in humans in Saudi ArabiaR N Charrel
Unité des Virus Emergents EA 3292, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, Marseille 13005, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 287:455-61. 2001....
- Hemorrhagic fever virus-induced changes in hemostasis and vascular biologyJ P Chen
Department of Medical Biology, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine, Knoxville, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 11:461-83. 2000..The interplay of hemostasis, immune response, and inflammation is very complex. Molecular biologic techniques and the use of animal models have helped to unravel some of these interactions...
- Viral hemorrhagic fever--a vascular disease?Hans J Schnittler
Institute of Physiology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 42, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Thromb Haemost 89:967-72. 2003..Filoviruses, particularly Ebola virus, encode nonstructural glycoproteins which are released from infected host cells. Their function as potential determinants in pathogenicity remains to be investigated...
- Hemorrhagic fever virusesDavid C Pigott
Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 South 19th Street, Birmingham, AL 35249 7013, USA
Crit Care Clin 21:765-83, vii. 2005..Important aspects of management, including recognition of infected patients, isolation and decontamination procedures, as well as available vaccines and therapies are emphasized...
- Role of the endothelium in viral hemorrhagic feversClarence J Peters
John Sealy Distinguished University Chair in Tropical and Emerging Virology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0609, USA
Crit Care Med 30:S268-73. 2002To describe endothelial participation in the pathogenesis of viral hemorrhagic fevers and certain other acute infectious diseases.
- Diagnostics and discovery in viral hemorrhagic feversW Ian Lipkin
Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:E6-11. 2009..This chapter reviews recent progress in the field of pathogen surveillance and discovery with a focus on viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- Prospects for treatment of viral hemorrhagic fevers with ribavirin, a broad-spectrum antiviral drugJ W Huggins
Department of Antiviral Studies, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Frederick, Maryland 21701 5011
Rev Infect Dis 11:S750-61. 1989..Ribavirin has not been effective in animal models of filoviral and flaviviral infections. The only important adverse effect of ribavirin in humans is manageable, reversible anemia...
- The role of reverse genetics systems in studying viral hemorrhagic feversHideki Ebihara
Division of Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Japan
Thromb Haemost 94:240-53. 2005..Here we review the existing reverse genetics systems for VHF causing viruses and discuss their use in studying viral replication, pathogenesis, and the development of antivirals and vaccines...
- Confronting bioterrorism: physicians on the front linePrathibha Varkey
Division of Preventive Medicine and Occupational Medicine and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:661-72. 2002..The diseases discussed include anthrax, smallpox, tularemia, plague, botulism, and viral hemorrhagic fevers. Despite the unpredictable nature of bioterrorism, disaster preparedness and knowledge of essential ..
- Hemorrhagic fevers and bioterrorStephen A Berger
Department of Microbiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:513-9. 2002
- Threats in bioterrorism. I: CDC category A agentsRobert G Darling
Operational Medicine Division, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases USAMRIID, 1425 Porter Street, ATTN MCMR UIM O, Fort Detrick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 20:273-309. 2002..Thus, it is imperative that plans be developed now to deal with the consequences of an intentional release of any one or more of these pathogens...
- Modes of transmission of hemorrhagic FeverJosé G Rigau-Pérez
JAMA 288:571; author reply 571. 2002
- Bioterrorism: a clinical realityRobert J Leggiadro
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Pediatr Ann 36:352-8. 2007
- Histopathology and immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of bioterrorism agentsJeannette Guarner
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop G32, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:3-11. 2006..with specific emphasis on the role of pathology and immunohistochemistry and will describe the histopathologic features of category A bioterrorism agents (anthrax, plague, tularemia, botulism, smallpox, and viral hemorrhagic fevers).
- Arenaviruses other than Lassa virusRemi N Charrel
Unite des Virus Emergents, EA 3292, IRD UR 034, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, Marseille 13005, France
Antiviral Res 57:89-100. 2003The family Arenaviridae includes 23 viral species, of which 5 can cause viral hemorrhagic fevers with a case fatality rate of about 20%...
- Anthrax, tularemia, plague, ebola or smallpox as agents of bioterrorism: recognition in the emergency roomB A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola and State University of New York School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York 11501, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:489-503. 2002..The review concludes with suggestions for postexposure prophylaxis and therapy...
- Defending against viruses in biowarfare. How to respond to smallpox, encephalitides, hemorrhagic feversTimothy M Straight
Department of Medicine, Infectious Disease Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6800 Georgia Ave, Washington, DC 20317, USA
Postgrad Med 112:75-6, 79-80, 85-6. 2002..Awareness and preparedness are instrumental in reducing viral transmission and improving survival of the victims...
- Wave-like spread of Ebola ZairePeter D Walsh
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Primatology, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS Biol 3:e371. 2005..Controlling the impact of Ebola on wild apes and human populations may be more feasible than previously recognized...
- A clinical guide to viral haemorrhagic fevers: Ebola, Marburg and LassaBenjamin Jeffs
Medicens Sans Frontieres, Spain
Trop Doct 36:1-4. 2006..This article gives a brief overview of diseases caused by the Ebola, Marburg and Lassa viruses. It gives some practical advice to the clinician on the diagnosis and management of these diseases...
- Therapeutic options for diseases due to potential viral agents of bioterrorismMichael S Bronze
Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Williams Pavilion, Room WP2080, 920 Stanton Young Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 4:172-8. 2003..Genomic analysis of the viral pathogen and the animal model response to infection may provide valuable information enabling the development of novel treatment and prevention strategies. Current knowledge of these strategies is reviewed...
- What caused the Black Death?C J Duncan
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:315-20. 2005..Epidemics of haemorrhagic plague over the next three centuries then steadily raised the frequency in Europe (but not elsewhere) to present day values...
- Mitogen therapy for biological warfare/terrorist attacks and viral hemorrhagic fever controlBruce M Wimer
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 17:19-28. 2002..A key objective would be to find an effective management for the dreaded viral hemorrhagic fevers. Using Ebola infection as an experimental model, Yang et al...
- [Viral hemorrhagic fevers--epidemiology and clinical picture]Andrzej Zielinski
Przegl Epidemiol 57:639-54. 2003The article presents current knowledge about viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF), their epidemiology, etiological factors, pathogenesis, symptoms and clinical management...
- Persistence of category A select agents in the environmentRyan Sinclair
Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:555-63. 2008
- [Haemorrhagic fever viruses, possible bioterrorist use]Sophie Rigaudeau
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Presse Med 34:169-76. 2005..Except for yellow fever, there is no vaccination for the other forms of viral haemorrhagic fever...
- Modes of transmission of hemorrhagic feverLeonard J Morse
JAMA 288:571; author reply 571. 2002
- BioterrorismTheodore J Cieslak
Department of Pediatrics, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam, Houston, TX 78234 6200, USA
Pediatr Ann 32:154-65. 2003
- Hospital preparedness and management of patients affected by viral haemorrhagic fever or smallpox at the Lazzaro Spallanzani Institute, ItalyG Ippolito
Istituto Nazionale per le Malattie Infettive Lazzaro Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
Euro Surveill 10:36-9. 2005....
- [Bioterrorism]Tetsutaro Sata
Department of Pathology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi 59:119-25. 2005..Both medical knowledge of bioterrorism and the preparedness with training under simulation should be required in advance...
- Defensive applications of gene transfer technology in the face of bioterrorism: DNA-based vaccines and immune targetingCatherine J Ackley
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755 1404, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 3:1279-89. 2003..While most of these strategies are not yet ready for human application, DNA-based vaccines appear to be among the most promising in the fight against bioterrorism...
- [Contemporary control of biological warfare]Tadeusz Płusa
Pol Merkur Lekarski 12:173-7. 2002..The special attention has been paid upon aerosol way of transmission and its consequences. The possibilities of prevention and treatment of diseases caused by biological pathogens have been also discussed...
- Lessons from nosocomial viral haemorrhagic fever outbreaksSusan P Fisher-Hoch
Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, School of Public Health, Brownsville Campus, Brownsville, TX, USA
Br Med Bull 73:123-37. 2005..Educating the public to demand higher standards could be a powerful tool. Good practices are difficult to establish and maintain on the scale needed...
- [The use of monoclonal antibodies in studying the causative agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers]G V Borisevich
Vopr Virusol 48:4-8. 2003..The methodological specificity of obtaining the Mabs to viral hemorrhagic-fevers' agents as well as data on its practical use are discussed...
- Infectious disease surveillance updatePam Das
Lancet Infect Dis 2:133. 2002
- [Hemorrhagic (Marburg, Ebola, Lassa, and Bolivian) fevers: epidemiology, clinical pictures, and treatment]I V Borisevich
Vopr Virusol 51:8-16. 2006..Particular emphasis is laid on the methods for infection diagnosis and on the studies to design specific protective agents--immunoglobulins and inactivated vaccines...
- Ebola-Poe: a modern-day parallel of the red death?Setu K Vora
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1521-3. 2002
- Megadrought and megadeath in 16th century MexicoRodolfo Acuna-Soto
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico
Emerg Infect Dis 8:360-2. 2002....
- Treating viral hemorrhagic feverAlbert T A Mairuhu
Slotervaart Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, Louwesweg 6, 1066 EC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
IDrugs 6:1061-6. 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers are illnesses associated with a number of geographically restricted, mostly tropical areas. Over recent decades a number of new hemorrhagic fever viruses have emerged...
- [The strategic plan for preparedness and response to bioterrorism in Korea]Hyun Soon Hwang
Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs
J Prev Med Public Health 41:209-13. 2008..agents that cause diseases, including smallpox, anthrax, plaque, botulism, and the causative agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers (ebola fever, marburg fever, and lassa fever) for national security...
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies to Junin virus nucleocapsid protein and application to the diagnosis of hemorrhagic fever caused by South American arenavirusesMina Nakauchi
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:1132-8. 2009..virus, and Chapare virus are members of New World arenavirus clade B and are the etiological agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers that occur in South America...
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers and hantavirus infections in the AmericasT J Doyle
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 12:95-110. 1998....
- Bluetongue virus infection alters the impedance of monolayers of bovine endothelial cells as a result of cell deathClifton P Drew
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, One Shields Ave, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 136:108-15. 2010..tissue infarction and widespread edema, lesions that are consistent with those of the so-called viral hemorrhagic fevers. To further investigate the pathogenesis of vascular injury in bluetongue, we utilized an electrical ..
- Replication of hemorrhagic fever viruses in monocytic cellsR M Lewis
Division of Medicine, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Frederick, Maryland 21701 5011
Rev Infect Dis 11:S736-42. 1989..The part played by monocytic cells in the pathogenesis of hemorrhage in the viral hemorrhagic fevers is presently uncertain...
- Arenavirus extinction through lethal mutagenesisJuan Carlos de la Torre
Department of Neuropharmacology IMM 6, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Virus Res 107:207-14. 2005b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers represent serious human public health problems causing devastating and often lethal disease...
- Arenavirus entry occurs through a cholesterol-dependent, non-caveolar, clathrin-mediated endocytic mechanismEric M Vela
Department of Pathology, Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Virology 369:1-11. 2007Arenaviruses are important causes of viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans. Arenavirus infection of cells occurs via a pH-dependent endocytic route, but detailed studies of entry pathways have not been done...
- Long-term survival of an urban fruit bat seropositive for Ebola and Lagos bat virusesDavid T S Hayman
Cambridge Infectious Diseases Consortium, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
PLoS ONE 5:e11978. 2010Ebolaviruses (EBOV) (family Filoviridae) cause viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans and non-human primates when they spill over from their wildlife reservoir hosts with case fatality rates of up to 90%...
- [Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever]Masayuki Saijo
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Musashimurayama, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Uirusu 54:223-7. 2004..Development of diagnostic laboratory capacity for viral hemorrhagic fevers is necessary even in countries without these diseases...
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever in the era of bioterrorismAndrea Polesky
Santa Clara County Tuberculosis Clinic, Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System, San Jose, CA, USA
Semin Respir Infect 18:206-15. 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers are among a small group of infectious diseases considered potential candidates for use as agents of bioterrorism...
- Social and environmental risk factors in the emergence of infectious diseasesRobin A Weiss
Wohl Virion Centre, Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, W1T 4JF, UK
Nat Med 10:S70-6. 2004..C, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)/variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), Nipah virus, several viral hemorrhagic fevers and, most recently, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and avian influenza...
- Air evacuation under high-level biosafety containment: the aeromedical isolation teamG W Christopher
U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702 5011
Emerg Infect Dis 5:241-6. 1999..g., viral hemorrhagic fevers, plague, and zoonotic poxvirus infections)...
- Congo crimean hemorrhagic Fever in balochistanAbdul Baqi Durrani
Department of Medicine, Bolan Medical College, Quetta
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 17:543-5. 2007..Although CCHF is rare, this study stresses the need for proper health facilities in Pakistan and to include VHF (viral hemorrhagic fevers) in the differential diagnosis of unexplained fever with hemorrhagic tendencies of sudden onset.
- Viral hemorrhagic fever-induced acute kidney injuryEmerson Q Lima
Division of Nephrology, Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Semin Nephrol 28:409-15. 2008b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) are diseases caused by the RNA virus from 4 different families (Flaviridiae, Arenaviridae, Bunyaviridae, and Filoviridae) that are acquired through the bite of an infected arthropod or by the inhalation of ..
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: does it involve the heart?Aynur Engin
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Cumhuriyet University, School of Medicine, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:369-73. 2009..Despite increasing knowledge about viral hemorrhagic fevers, the pathogenesis of CCHF and causes of death have not been well described...
- LeptospirosisJ M Vinetz
World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 14:527-38. 2001..that present as undifferentiated febrile syndromes, such as malaria, dengue and influenza, as well as viral hemorrhagic fevers can mimic leptospirosis...
- Zidampidine, an aryl phosphate derivative of AZT: in vivo pharmacokinetics, metabolism, toxicity, and anti-viral efficacy against hemorrhagic fever caused by Lassa virusF M Uckun
Drug Discovery Program, Parker Hughes Center for Clinical Immunology, 2699 Patton Road, St Paul, MN 55113, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 13:3279-88. 2005..0001). This pilot study provides the basis for future preclinical evaluation of Zidampidine and its potential as a new agent for the treatment of viral hemorrhagic fevers caused by Lassa virus.
- Biological warfare from a dermatologic perspectiveJeffrey J Meffert
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 3:304-10. 2003..recommended treatments, and preventive measures of agents such as anthrax, smallpox, plague, and the viral hemorrhagic fevers are discussed, as well as some of the issues that have been raised as authorities are considering how and ..
- Emerging and zoonotic infections in womenRegan N Theiler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550 0587, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 22:755-72, vii-viii. 2008..virus, West Nile virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, avian influenza A virus, viral hemorrhagic fevers, spirochetal illnesses, and Chagas' disease...
- Development of a broad-spectrum antiviral with activity against Ebola virusM Javad Aman
United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Antiviral Res 83:245-51. 2009..of a small molecule therapeutic, FGI-106, which displays potent and broad-spectrum inhibition of lethal viral hemorrhagic fevers pathogens, including Ebola, Rift Valley and Dengue Fever viruses, in cell-based assays...
- Assessment of the risk of Ebola virus transmission from bodily fluids and fomitesDaniel G Bausch
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S142-7. 2007..the acute period of illness but that the risk of transmission from fomites in an isolation ward and from convalescent patients is low when currently recommended infection control guidelines for the viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed.
- [Practical strategies against bioterrorism]Tetsuya Matsumoto
Department of Microbiology, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 65:2363-73. 2007..Especially, anthrax, smallpox, plague, botulism, tularemia, and viral hemorrhagic fevers are important illness due to biological agents with a high potential for adverse public health impact...
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers of South AmericaRobert B Tesh
Department of Pathology and Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Biomedica 22:287-95. 2002This paper reviews the epidemiology and distinguishing features of three viral hemorrhagic fevers (dengue hemorrhagic fever, yellow fever and arenaviral hemorrhagic fever) that have emerged as important public health problems in South ..
- Emergency department evaluation of the febrile travelerDavid C Pigott
Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 S 19th St, JTN 266, Birmingham, AL 35249 7013, USA
J Infect 54:1-5. 2007..This diseases range from widespread tropical diseases such as malaria to the more exotic and lethal viral hemorrhagic fevers. A thoughtful approach guided by geographic patterns of illness offers a reliable method for determining ..
- Fatal malaria infection in travelers: novel immunohistochemical assays for the detection of Plasmodium falciparum in tissues and implications for pathogenesisGillian L Genrich
Infectious Disease Pathology and Malaria Branches, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:251-9. 2007..to malaria-endemic areas, whose deaths were initially suspected to have been caused by other bacterial or viral hemorrhagic fevers. The HRP-2 assay was specific for P. falciparum, whereas the aldolase and pLDH assays also reacted with P...
- Pathogenesis and sepsis caused by organisms potentially utilized as biologic weapons: opportunities for targeted interventionMatthew J Hepburn
Defence Science and Technology Laboratories, Porton Down, Wiltshire, UK
Curr Drug Targets 8:519-32. 2007..to sepsis for key biologic threat agents (causative agents of anthrax, plague, tularemia, smallpox and viral hemorrhagic fevers), and highlight current and future therapeutic targets...
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Iran and neighboring countriesS Chinikar
Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
J Clin Virol 47:110-4. 2010..The disease is one of the most widely distributed viral hemorrhagic fevers occurring in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and some parts of Europe...
- Bench-to-bedside review: rare and common viral infections in the intensive care unit--linking pathophysiology to clinical presentationNicholas Stollenwerk
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
Crit Care 12:219. 2008..Others, such as adenovirus, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-coronavirus, Hantavirus, and the viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs), are rare but have an immense public health impact...
- Rodent models for the study of therapy against flavivirus infectionsNathalie Charlier
Laboratory of Virology and Chemotherapy, Rega Institute for Medical Research, Minderbroedersstraat 10, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Antiviral Res 63:67-77. 2004..Here we review models in mice and hamsters that may be used to assess the efficacy of novel antiviral strategies against flavivirus infections...
- [Venezuelan hemorrhagic fever: eight years of observation]R A Salas
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Nacional de Higiene Rafael Rangel Ciudad Universitaria Caracas, Venezuela
Acta Cient Venez 49:46-51. 1998..Epidemiological informations suggest that VHF has a cyclic behaviour, with epidemic periods of high incidence, every 4-5 years. During the interepidemic periods few VHF cases are reported...
- False-negative results of PCR assay with plasma of patients with severe viral hemorrhagic feverChristian Drosten
J Clin Microbiol 40:4394-5. 2002
- Early risk assessment for viral haemorrhagic fever: experience at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases, London, UKCharles J Woodrow
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Directorate of Infection, University College London Hospitals, Mortimer Market, Capper Street off Tottenham Court Road, London WC1E 6AU, UK
J Infect 54:6-11. 2007..To implement a policy of systematic screening for viral haemorrhagic fever (VHF) among travellers returning from African countries with fever, commencing at initial clinical contact...
- Pathogenesis of arenavirus hemorrhagic feversMarie Laurence Moraz
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital Center and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:49-59. 2011b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) caused by arenaviruses belong to the most devastating emerging human diseases and represent serious public health problems...
- Pathological and virological features of arenavirus disease in guinea pigs. Comparison of two Pichinde virus strainsJ F Aronson
University of Texas Medical Branch, Department of Pathology, Galveston
Am J Pathol 145:228-35. 1994..Splenic red pulp necrosis was also significantly associated with adPIC infection but not PIC3739 infection. These findings may provide clues to the pathogenesis of a group of poorly understood human viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- Biological warfare and the skin II: virusesTheodore J Cieslak
San Antonio Military Pediatric Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Clin Dermatol 20:355-64. 2002
- Designing a biocontainment unit to care for patients with serious communicable diseases: a consensus statementPhilip W Smith
Biocontainment Unit, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5400, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 4:351-65. 2006..g., smallpox), by a global emerging infectious disease (e.g., avian influenza, viral hemorrhagic fevers), or by a laboratory accident...
- Pathobiology and management of laboratory rodents administered CDC category A agentsYongqun He
Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Comp Med 57:18-32. 2007..virus (smallpox), Francisella tularensis (tularemia), and the filoviruses and arenaviruses that induce viral hemorrhagic fevers. These agents are regarded as having the greatest potential for adverse impact on public health and ..
- Clinical features and patient management of Lujo hemorrhagic feverNivesh H Sewlall
Internal Medicine, Morningside MediClinic, Johannesburg, South Africa Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e3233. 2014..Because of the remote, resource-poor, and often politically unstable regions where Lassa fever and other viral hemorrhagic fevers typically occur, there have been few opportunities to undertake in-depth study of their clinical ..
- Filoviral haemorrhagic feversA S Khan
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Br Med Bull 54:675-92. 1998..However, the documented occurrence of secondary cases in locations far from endemic areas validates the concern that filoviruses have the potential to cause unprecedented outbreaks in the future...
- [Risk of nosocomial infection in intertropical Africa--part 2: patient infection]F Simon
Service de Pathologie Infectieuse et Tropicale, l Hôpital d instruction des armées Laveran, Marseilles Armées
Med Trop (Mars) 67:197-203. 2007..Epidemics involving viral hemorrhagic fever are rare but highly publicized events that attest to daily neglect of nosocomial risk factors in some health care facilities..
- Nosocomial outbreak of novel arenavirus infection, southern AfricaJanusz T Paweska
National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Sandringham, South Africa
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1598-602. 2009..Three cases involved secondary spread of infection from the first patient, and 1 was a tertiary infection. A novel arenavirus was identified. The source of the first patient's infection remains undetermined...
- Antiviral treatment of Argentine hemorrhagic feverD A Enria
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Virales Humanas INEVH, Pergamino, Argentina
Antiviral Res 23:23-31. 1994..Ribavirin, a broad spectrum antiviral agent, is effective in the treatment of other viral hemorrhagic fevers, and the studies done with Junin virus infections to date indicate that this drug may also have a ..
- A reassortant bunyavirus isolated from acute hemorrhagic fever cases in Kenya and SomaliaM D Bowen
Special Pathogens Branch, Divivion of Viral and Ricksettial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virology 291:185-90. 2001..The association of this reassortant bunyavirus, proposed name Garissa virus, with severe disease is supported by the detection of the virus RNA in acute-phase sera taken from 12 additional hemorrhagic fever cases in the region...
- The model of response to viral haemorrhagic fevers of the National Institute for Infectious Diseases "Lazzaro Spallanzani"O Armignacco
National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani-IRCCS, Rome, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 15:314-21. 2001..A brief overview of procedures and equipment adopted is provided...
- [Clinical aspects of viral hemorrhagic fever]Masayuki Saijo
Department of Virology I, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Nihon Rinsho 63:2161-6. 2005..Therefore, preparedness for possible future outbreaks of VHF is necessary in areas without VHF outbreaks...
- Emergence of viral hemorrhagic fevers: is recent outbreak of Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever in India an indication?C Lahariya
Department of Community Medicine, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, India
J Postgrad Med 58:39-46. 2012..The countries where virus activities have been reported need to be prepared accordingly...
- Arboviruses and viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF)Eyal Meltzer
Department of Medicine C, Sheba Medical Center, Center for Geographic Medicine, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Infect Dis Clin North Am 26:479-96. 2012..This review provides an overview of the epidemiology of arboviral infections and VHF, the main clinical syndromes, and their diagnosis and treatment...
- Simultaneous detection of IgG antibodies associated with viral hemorrhagic fever by a multiplexed Luminex-based immunoassayWei Wu
Key Laboratory of Medical Virology, Ministry of Health, Department of Viral Hemorrhagic Fever, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, China CDC, Beijing 102206, China
Virus Res 187:84-90. 2014b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) are worldwide diseases caused by several kinds of viruses. With the emergence of new viruses, advanced diagnostic methods are urgently needed for identification of VHFs...
- Molecular diagnostic techniques for use in response to bioterrorismMarcia A Firmani
Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1900 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 2223, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 3:605-16. 2003..Consequently, the molecular diagnostic techniques that have recently been developed for the diseases associated with these agents will be emphasized...
- Preserved vascular integrity and enhanced survival following neuropilin-1 inhibition in a mouse model of CD8 T cell-initiated CNS vascular permeabilityGeorgette L Suidan
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Neuroinflammation 9:218. 2012..BBB) is a feature of numerous neurological conditions including multiple sclerosis, cerebral malaria, viral hemorrhagic fevers and acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis...
- Repeated outbreaks of viral hemorrhagic fevers in UgandaA Mbonye
Ministry of Health Head Quarters, P O Box 7272 Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 12:579-83. 2012Since the year 2000, Uganda has experienced repeated outbreaks of viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF). Ebola VHF outbreak occurred in the districts of Gulu in 2000, Bundibugyo, 2007, Luwero, 2011, Kibaale in July 2012, Luwero in November 2012...
- Ngari virus is a Bunyamwera virus reassortant that can be associated with large outbreaks of hemorrhagic fever in AfricaSonja R Gerrard
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Virol 78:8922-6. 2004..Ngari virus should be considered when investigating hemorrhagic fever outbreaks throughout sub-Saharan Africa...
- Cellular Immunity to Category A-C Viruses in HumansROBERT WILLIAM FINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..and their effects on endothelial cell function, with a focus on the plasma leakage associated with viral hemorrhagic fevers caused by flaviviruses and hantaviruses...
- Preventing lethal hemorrhagic fever caused by hantaviruses by preserving endothelALAN L MUELLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Navigen believes that Slit2N may have broad-spectrum efficacy in the treatment of viral hemorrhagic fevers as there is evidence that VE-cadherin internalization plays a role in the vascular leak associated with ..
- Developing small molecule therapeutics for Ebola hemorrhagic fever virusArnab Basu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ebola virus (EBOV) causes periodic outbreaks of severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa with high mortality rates in infected patients...
- Ebola virus VP24_a novel inhibitor of interferon and oxidative stress signalingChristopher F Basler; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Ebolaviruses (EBOVs) are emerging viruses that cause severe viral hemorrhagic fevers and are therefore considered a public health threat...
- CD 8 T Cell Mediated Disruption of Blood Brain Tight JunctionAaron J Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such diseases characterized by disruption of the BBB including stroke, viral hemorrhagic fevers, cerebral malaria, HIV dementia, multiple sclerosis (MS), and shock...
- Therapeutics to Prevent/Treat Lassa Fever VirusMichael B Oldstone; Fiscal Year: 2010..Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Oldstone, Michael - 2 R01 AI055540-06 REVISED ABSTRACT SECTION Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) caused by the arenaviruses Lassa virus (LASV), Machupo (MACV), Guanarito (GTOV), and Junin virus (..
- A dual vaccine strategy against filovirus infectionRichard W Compans; Fiscal Year: 2013..The successful development of this vaccine strategy may also be readily applied to vaccines against other viral hemorrhagic fevers which still lack effective vaccines...
- Antiviral Drugs Against Hemorrhagic Fever VirusesDennis Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (provided by investigator): Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) are severe illnesses characterized by fever, multiple organ involvement and extensive vascular damage...
- Multiplex Mass Tag PCR for African Viral Hemorrhagic FeversDaniel G Bausch; Fiscal Year: 2010..1 U01 AI082053-01 ABSTRACT The viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) pose a threat as possible bioterrorist agents as well as to populations in sub-Saharan Africa ..
- B.abortus-based vaccine against viral hemorrhagic feversRamesh Vemulapalli; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) are severe and life-threatening diseases caused by several viruses...
- Recombinant Yellow Fever 17D-Lassa VaccineIgor Lukashevich; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Yellow Fever (YF) and Lassa Fever (LF) are two viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) endemic for West and Central Africa...
- Cytokine patterns in guinea pig arenavirus diseaseJudith Aronson; Fiscal Year: 2004..cytokines are important effectors in the terminal pathophysiology of septic shock and other viral hemorrhagic fevers, and some have direct anti-viral effects in cultured cells...
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The CDC has ranked viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHP) among the highest of the potential bioterror threats, in part because of their high case-fatality ..
- Identification of Ebola Virus Entry InhibitorsArnab Basu; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ebola virus (EBOV) causes periodic outbreaks of severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa with high mortality rates in infected patients...
- Therapeutics for Pox, Filo and Other Viral PathogensSTEWART SCHNELLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Among that group of pathogens are smallpox and the viral hemorrhagic fevers (including the filoviruses Ebola and Marburg)...
- CTL pathogenesis after infection of vaccinated hostJohn Harty; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, agents that cause viral hemorrhagic fevers, including some LCMV strains, are CDC class A biodefense agents...
- Host Genetics and Symptomatic Dengue InfectionRONALD BLANTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study may help predict populations at risk, may influence vaccine design or may aid in understanding and managing other viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The CDC has ranked viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) among the highest of the potential bioterror threats, in part because of their high case-fatality ..
- Chimeric VLP Vaccines for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Compans; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF's) involve severe disease symptoms and high mortality rates, and the potential for natural reemergence and spread of the viral agents...
- Infectious Diseases From Nature: Mclaughlin SymposiumCLARENCE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., hantavirus; mosquito-borne viruses, e.g. West Nile; filoviruses (e.g. Ebola); alphaviruses (Rift Valley Fever Viruses) and others, including HIV and SARS. ..
- Rift Valley Fever Virus MP-12 Vaccine CompletionCLARENCE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- REVERSE GENETICS OF ARENAVIRUSESJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use biochemical, genetics and functional assays to assess the relevance in Arenavirus biology of candidates initially identified by TAP/MS. ..
- Innate immune evasion and/or antagonism by eastern equine encephalitis virusKATHERINE RYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VEE PATHOGENESIS AND VACCINE DEVELOPMENTSlobodan Paessler; Fiscal Year: 2007..By dissecting the nonstructural proteins of VEEV from the structural proteins, the role of replieative machinery (nonstructural proteins) in the pathogenesis will be elucidated. ..
- Anti-interferon Activity of the Arenavirus NucleoproteinJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mass Tag PCR Detection of Respiratory PathogensW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF BORNA DISEASE VIRUS (BDV)JUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Conditions required for reconstitution of BDV transcription and RNA replication by intracellular coexpression of BDV minigenome and BDV proteins from separated plasmids will be determined. ..
- BORNA DISEASE VIRUS AND NEUROPSYCHIATRIC DISEASEWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will be the first to collect and process human sera and PBMC samples in clinical laboratories with no history of BDV research and dispense aliquots to a central laboratory for randomized, blinded analysis. ..
- Identification of Borna Disease Virus Receptor ProteinsJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..G*/p56; 3) Determination of expression pattern of BDV candidate receptors in vivo. ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF A NEUROTROPIC AGENT--BORNA VIRUSWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SELENOPROTEINS, NF-KB, AND HIV DISEASE IN IV DRUG USERSETHAN TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long- term goal is to establish a molecular basis for the use of Se supplements as a chemoprotectant in HIV+ drug users. ..
- Biology of Animal Nuclear MononegavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Application of IVIAT to Bacillus anthracisEdward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2004..IVIAT is an established protocol in our laboratory, and this preliminary collaborative study should lay a foundation for subsequent analysis of identified B. anthracis genes and their products. ..
- Immune cell dynamics during central nervous system viral infectionJuan C de la Torre; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Molcular detection of weaponized arenavirusesRemi Charrel; Fiscal Year: 2003..The ultimate goal is to propose a ready-to-use diagnostic kit for the detection and characterization of weaponized arenaviruses. ..
- Mucosal Immunity to Antigens Expressed by V.choleraeEdward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2006..difficile toxin A is injected into ligated ileal loops of vaccinated and control animals. ..
- WORLD REFERENCE CENTER FOR ARBOVIRUSESRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Aminoglycoside Antivirals to Combat ArenavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..that cause important and severe human diseases like Lassa fever virus (LFV) and the South American viral hemorrhagic fevers (SAHF). In addition, weaponized forms of these viruses pose a real threat as agents of bioterrorism...
- Pathogen Discovery in Chronic Lung Disease by Mass Tag PCR and MicroarrayW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- GENE EXPRESSION IN BRUCELLA-INFECTED MACROPHAGESYongqun He; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- A Staged Strategy for Virus Identification and DiscoveryW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our initial focus will be two chronic diseases where specific viral taxa are associated and potentially implicated in pathogenesis: bronchioalveolar cell carcinoma and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. ..
- Neuroimmunologic Disorders Induced by Chronic Viral InfectionJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epidemiology of Yellow Fever in the AmericasRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Most of the work will be done in laboratories at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Center for Tropical Diseases; but a small portion will be done at the Evandro Chagas Institute in Belem, Brazil. ..
- Transcutaneous and oral-transcutaneous cholera immunization with TcpA and Peru15Edward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High throughput proteomic analysis of Salmonella entericaEdward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Antiviral Strategy to Combat ArenavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- PAR SIGNALING AND PROTECTIVE PATHWAYS IN INFLAMMATION AND SEPSISWolfram Ruf; Fiscal Year: 2010..3. ..
- TARGETING SIGNALING OF THE TISSUE FACTOR PATHWAYWolfram Ruf; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- A DEVELOPMENTAL MODEL FOR AUTISM BASED ON CNS INFECTIONWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) Determine how opoptosis contributes to the neuropathology observed after neonatal infection. (5) Analyze regional changes in neurotransmitter systems following neonatal infection. ..
- A Staged Strategy for Virus Identification and DiscoveryWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Consistent with aims proposed in AI51292, our initial clinical application will be to analyze enteroviral serotypes implicated in human disease in North America. ..