viral hemorrhagic fevers
Summary: A group of viral diseases of diverse etiology but having many similar clinical characteristics; increased capillary permeability, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia are common to all. Hemorrhagic fevers are characterized by sudden onset, fever, headache, generalized myalgia, backache, conjunctivitis, and severe prostration, followed by various hemorrhagic symptoms. Hemorrhagic fever with kidney involvement is HEMORRHAGIC FEVER WITH RENAL SYNDROME.
Publications159 found, 100 shown here
- Hemorrhagic fever viruses as biological weapons: medical and public health managementLuciana Borio
Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies, Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health, 111 Market Pl, Suite 830, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
JAMA 287:2391-405. 2002..To develop consensus-based recommendations for measures to be taken by medical and public health professionals if hemorrhagic fever viruses (HFVs) are used as biological weapons against a civilian population...
- Exotic emerging viral diseases: progress and challengesThomas W Geisbert
Virology Division, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702 5011, USA
Nat Med 10:S110-21. 2004..Of equal importance, these comparisons highlight critical gaps in our knowledge of these pathogens...
- Animal models of highly pathogenic RNA viral infections: hemorrhagic fever virusesBrian B Gowen
Institute for Antiviral Research and Department of Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 5600, USA
Antiviral Res 78:79-90. 2008..Such models are sufficient for testing of drugs that directly block viral replication, but may be inadequate for evaluating therapies that depend for their success on the activation or inhibition of host responses...
- Molecular diagnostics of viral hemorrhagic feversChristian Drosten
Department of Virology, Bernhard Nocht Institute of Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Antiviral Res 57:61-87. 2003This review addresses the diagnostics of viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs). In the first part, an overview is given on classical methods of VHF diagnostics as well as novel molecular diagnostic tools...
- Pathogenesis of viral hemorrhagic feverMike Bray
Biodefense Clinical Research Branch, Office of Clinical Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 17:399-403. 2005..The synthesis of tissue factor by infected cells can also trigger coagulation. Failure of adaptive immunity through impaired dendritic cell function and lymphocyte apoptosis can have a crucial role in fatal infection...
- Stampidine prevents mortality in an experimental mouse model of viral hemorrhagic fever caused by lassa virusFatih M Uckun
Parker Hughes Center for Clinical Immunology, St Paul, MN 55113, USA
BMC Infect Dis 4:1. 2004....
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers: current status of endemic disease and strategies for controlDennis J Cleri
Department of Medicine, Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education, 400 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 20:359-93, x. 2006
- Viral haemorrhagic fever and vascular alterationsP Aleksandrowicz
Institut fur Physiologie, Technische Universitat, Medizinische Fakultat, Fetcherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Hamostaseologie 28:77-84. 2008....
- Fibroblastic reticular cells and their role in viral hemorrhagic feversKeith E Steele
Division of Pathology, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 7:423-35. 2009b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) caused by Ebola, Marburg and Lassa viruses often manifest as multiple organ dysfunction and hemorrhagic shock with high mortality...
- Diagnostics and discovery in viral hemorrhagic feversW Ian Lipkin
Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:E6-11. 2009..This chapter reviews recent progress in the field of pathogen surveillance and discovery with a focus on viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- Prospects for treatment of viral hemorrhagic fevers with ribavirin, a broad-spectrum antiviral drugJ W Huggins
Department of Antiviral Studies, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Frederick, Maryland 21701 5011
Rev Infect Dis 11:S750-61. 1989..Ribavirin has not been effective in animal models of filoviral and flaviviral infections. The only important adverse effect of ribavirin in humans is manageable, reversible anemia...
- Role of the endothelium in viral hemorrhagic feversClarence J Peters
John Sealy Distinguished University Chair in Tropical and Emerging Virology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0609, USA
Crit Care Med 30:S268-73. 2002To describe endothelial participation in the pathogenesis of viral hemorrhagic fevers and certain other acute infectious diseases.
- Hemorrhagic fever virusesDavid C Pigott
Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 South 19th Street, Birmingham, AL 35249 7013, USA
Crit Care Clin 21:765-83, vii. 2005..Important aspects of management, including recognition of infected patients, isolation and decontamination procedures, as well as available vaccines and therapies are emphasized...
- Complete coding sequence of the Alkhurma virus, a tick-borne flavivirus causing severe hemorrhagic fever in humans in Saudi ArabiaR N Charrel
Unité des Virus Emergents EA 3292, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, Marseille 13005, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 287:455-61. 2001....
- Hemorrhagic fever virus-induced changes in hemostasis and vascular biologyJ P Chen
Department of Medical Biology, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine, Knoxville, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 11:461-83. 2000..The interplay of hemostasis, immune response, and inflammation is very complex. Molecular biologic techniques and the use of animal models have helped to unravel some of these interactions...
- Viral hemorrhagic fever--a vascular disease?Hans J Schnittler
Institute of Physiology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 42, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Thromb Haemost 89:967-72. 2003..Filoviruses, particularly Ebola virus, encode nonstructural glycoproteins which are released from infected host cells. Their function as potential determinants in pathogenicity remains to be investigated...
- Treatment of late stage disease in a model of arenaviral hemorrhagic fever: T-705 efficacy and reduced toxicity suggests an alternative to ribavirinBrian B Gowen
Institute for Antiviral Research, Logan, UT, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3725. 2008..Our findings support further pre-clinical development of T-705 for the treatment of severe arenaviral infections...
- The role of reverse genetics systems in studying viral hemorrhagic feversHideki Ebihara
Division of Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Japan
Thromb Haemost 94:240-53. 2005..Here we review the existing reverse genetics systems for VHF causing viruses and discuss their use in studying viral replication, pathogenesis, and the development of antivirals and vaccines...
- Viral hemorrhagic feversAileen M Marty
Battelle Memorial Institute, Suite 601, 1550 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202 4172, USA
Clin Lab Med 26:345-86, viii. 2006..While significant progress has been made over the last several years in dissecting out the molecular biology and pathogenesis of the HF viruses, there are currently no vaccines or drugs licensed available for most of the VHFs...
- Defending against viruses in biowarfare. How to respond to smallpox, encephalitides, hemorrhagic feversTimothy M Straight
Department of Medicine, Infectious Disease Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6800 Georgia Ave, Washington, DC 20317, USA
Postgrad Med 112:75-6, 79-80, 85-6. 2002..Awareness and preparedness are instrumental in reducing viral transmission and improving survival of the victims...
- What caused the Black Death?C J Duncan
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:315-20. 2005..Epidemics of haemorrhagic plague over the next three centuries then steadily raised the frequency in Europe (but not elsewhere) to present day values...
- Modes of transmission of hemorrhagic feverLeonard J Morse
JAMA 288:571; author reply 571. 2002
- Hospital preparedness and management of patients affected by viral haemorrhagic fever or smallpox at the Lazzaro Spallanzani Institute, ItalyG Ippolito
Istituto Nazionale per le Malattie Infettive Lazzaro Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
Euro Surveill 10:36-9. 2005....
- Anthrax, tularemia, plague, ebola or smallpox as agents of bioterrorism: recognition in the emergency roomB A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola and State University of New York School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York 11501, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:489-503. 2002..The review concludes with suggestions for postexposure prophylaxis and therapy...
- [Haemorrhagic fever viruses, possible bioterrorist use]Sophie Rigaudeau
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Presse Med 34:169-76. 2005..Except for yellow fever, there is no vaccination for the other forms of viral haemorrhagic fever...
- [Viral hemorrhagic fevers--epidemiology and clinical picture]Andrzej Zielinski
Przegl Epidemiol 57:639-54. 2003The article presents current knowledge about viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF), their epidemiology, etiological factors, pathogenesis, symptoms and clinical management...
- Defensive applications of gene transfer technology in the face of bioterrorism: DNA-based vaccines and immune targetingCatherine J Ackley
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755 1404, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 3:1279-89. 2003..While most of these strategies are not yet ready for human application, DNA-based vaccines appear to be among the most promising in the fight against bioterrorism...
- Arenaviruses other than Lassa virusRemi N Charrel
Unite des Virus Emergents, EA 3292, IRD UR 034, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, Marseille 13005, France
Antiviral Res 57:89-100. 2003The family Arenaviridae includes 23 viral species, of which 5 can cause viral hemorrhagic fevers with a case fatality rate of about 20%...
- BioterrorismTheodore J Cieslak
Department of Pediatrics, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam, Houston, TX 78234 6200, USA
Pediatr Ann 32:154-65. 2003
- Therapeutic options for diseases due to potential viral agents of bioterrorismMichael S Bronze
Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Williams Pavilion, Room WP2080, 920 Stanton Young Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 4:172-8. 2003..Genomic analysis of the viral pathogen and the animal model response to infection may provide valuable information enabling the development of novel treatment and prevention strategies. Current knowledge of these strategies is reviewed...
- Molecular diagnostic techniques for use in response to bioterrorismMarcia A Firmani
Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1900 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 2223, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 3:605-16. 2003..Consequently, the molecular diagnostic techniques that have recently been developed for the diseases associated with these agents will be emphasized...
- Modes of transmission of hemorrhagic FeverJosé G Rigau-Pérez
JAMA 288:571; author reply 571. 2002
- Threats in bioterrorism. I: CDC category A agentsRobert G Darling
Operational Medicine Division, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases USAMRIID, 1425 Porter Street, ATTN MCMR UIM O, Fort Detrick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 20:273-309. 2002..Thus, it is imperative that plans be developed now to deal with the consequences of an intentional release of any one or more of these pathogens...
- Bioterrorism: a clinical realityRobert J Leggiadro
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Pediatr Ann 36:352-8. 2007
- Pathobiology and management of laboratory rodents administered CDC category A agentsYongqun He
Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Comp Med 57:18-32. 2007..virus (smallpox), Francisella tularensis (tularemia), and the filoviruses and arenaviruses that induce viral hemorrhagic fevers. These agents are regarded as having the greatest potential for adverse impact on public health and ..
- Biological warfare and the skin II: virusesTheodore J Cieslak
San Antonio Military Pediatric Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Clin Dermatol 20:355-64. 2002
- A clinical guide to viral haemorrhagic fevers: Ebola, Marburg and LassaBenjamin Jeffs
Medicens Sans Frontieres, Spain
Trop Doct 36:1-4. 2006..This article gives a brief overview of diseases caused by the Ebola, Marburg and Lassa viruses. It gives some practical advice to the clinician on the diagnosis and management of these diseases...
- Lessons from nosocomial viral haemorrhagic fever outbreaksSusan P Fisher-Hoch
Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, School of Public Health, Brownsville Campus, Brownsville, TX, USA
Br Med Bull 73:123-37. 2005..Educating the public to demand higher standards could be a powerful tool. Good practices are difficult to establish and maintain on the scale needed...
- Mitogen therapy for biological warfare/terrorist attacks and viral hemorrhagic fever controlBruce M Wimer
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 17:19-28. 2002..A key objective would be to find an effective management for the dreaded viral hemorrhagic fevers. Using Ebola infection as an experimental model, Yang et al...
- Wave-like spread of Ebola ZairePeter D Walsh
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Primatology, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS Biol 3:e371. 2005..Controlling the impact of Ebola on wild apes and human populations may be more feasible than previously recognized...
- Persistence of category A select agents in the environmentRyan Sinclair
Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:555-63. 2008
- Hemorrhagic fevers and bioterrorStephen A Berger
Department of Microbiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:513-9. 2002
- Confronting bioterrorism: physicians on the front linePrathibha Varkey
Division of Preventive Medicine and Occupational Medicine and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:661-72. 2002..The diseases discussed include anthrax, smallpox, tularemia, plague, botulism, and viral hemorrhagic fevers. Despite the unpredictable nature of bioterrorism, disaster preparedness and knowledge of essential ..
- [Contemporary control of biological warfare]Tadeusz Płusa
Pol Merkur Lekarski 12:173-7. 2002..The special attention has been paid upon aerosol way of transmission and its consequences. The possibilities of prevention and treatment of diseases caused by biological pathogens have been also discussed...
- [Bioterrorism]Tetsutaro Sata
Department of Pathology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi 59:119-25. 2005..Both medical knowledge of bioterrorism and the preparedness with training under simulation should be required in advance...
- Histopathology and immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of bioterrorism agentsJeannette Guarner
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop G32, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:3-11. 2006..with specific emphasis on the role of pathology and immunohistochemistry and will describe the histopathologic features of category A bioterrorism agents (anthrax, plague, tularemia, botulism, smallpox, and viral hemorrhagic fevers).
- [The use of monoclonal antibodies in studying the causative agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers]G V Borisevich
Vopr Virusol 48:4-8. 2003..The methodological specificity of obtaining the Mabs to viral hemorrhagic-fevers' agents as well as data on its practical use are discussed...
- Infectious disease surveillance updatePam Das
Lancet Infect Dis 2:133. 2002
- [Hemorrhagic (Marburg, Ebola, Lassa, and Bolivian) fevers: epidemiology, clinical pictures, and treatment]I V Borisevich
Vopr Virusol 51:8-16. 2006..Particular emphasis is laid on the methods for infection diagnosis and on the studies to design specific protective agents--immunoglobulins and inactivated vaccines...
- A reassortant bunyavirus isolated from acute hemorrhagic fever cases in Kenya and SomaliaM D Bowen
Special Pathogens Branch, Divivion of Viral and Ricksettial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virology 291:185-90. 2001..The association of this reassortant bunyavirus, proposed name Garissa virus, with severe disease is supported by the detection of the virus RNA in acute-phase sera taken from 12 additional hemorrhagic fever cases in the region...
- [Risk of nosocomial infection in intertropical Africa--part 2: patient infection]F Simon
Service de Pathologie Infectieuse et Tropicale, l Hôpital d instruction des armées Laveran, Marseilles Armées
Med Trop (Mars) 67:197-203. 2007..Epidemics involving viral hemorrhagic fever are rare but highly publicized events that attest to daily neglect of nosocomial risk factors in some health care facilities..
- Ngari virus is a Bunyamwera virus reassortant that can be associated with large outbreaks of hemorrhagic fever in AfricaSonja R Gerrard
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Virol 78:8922-6. 2004..Ngari virus should be considered when investigating hemorrhagic fever outbreaks throughout sub-Saharan Africa...
- Treating viral hemorrhagic feverAlbert T A Mairuhu
Slotervaart Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, Louwesweg 6, 1066 EC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
IDrugs 6:1061-6. 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers are illnesses associated with a number of geographically restricted, mostly tropical areas. Over recent decades a number of new hemorrhagic fever viruses have emerged...
- Ebola-Poe: a modern-day parallel of the red death?Setu K Vora
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1521-3. 2002
- Megadrought and megadeath in 16th century MexicoRodolfo Acuna-Soto
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico
Emerg Infect Dis 8:360-2. 2002....
- The model of response to viral haemorrhagic fevers of the National Institute for Infectious Diseases "Lazzaro Spallanzani"O Armignacco
National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani-IRCCS, Rome, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 15:314-21. 2001..A brief overview of procedures and equipment adopted is provided...
- [The strategic plan for preparedness and response to bioterrorism in Korea]Hyun Soon Hwang
Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs
J Prev Med Public Health 41:209-13. 2008..agents that cause diseases, including smallpox, anthrax, plaque, botulism, and the causative agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers (ebola fever, marburg fever, and lassa fever) for national security...
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies to Junin virus nucleocapsid protein and application to the diagnosis of hemorrhagic fever caused by South American arenavirusesMina Nakauchi
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:1132-8. 2009..virus, and Chapare virus are members of New World arenavirus clade B and are the etiological agents of viral hemorrhagic fevers that occur in South America...
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers and hantavirus infections in the AmericasT J Doyle
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 12:95-110. 1998....
- Bluetongue virus infection alters the impedance of monolayers of bovine endothelial cells as a result of cell deathClifton P Drew
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, One Shields Ave, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 136:108-15. 2010..tissue infarction and widespread edema, lesions that are consistent with those of the so-called viral hemorrhagic fevers. To further investigate the pathogenesis of vascular injury in bluetongue, we utilized an electrical ..
- Replication of hemorrhagic fever viruses in monocytic cellsR M Lewis
Division of Medicine, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Frederick, Maryland 21701 5011
Rev Infect Dis 11:S736-42. 1989..The part played by monocytic cells in the pathogenesis of hemorrhage in the viral hemorrhagic fevers is presently uncertain...
- Arenavirus extinction through lethal mutagenesisJuan Carlos de la Torre
Department of Neuropharmacology IMM 6, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Virus Res 107:207-14. 2005b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers represent serious human public health problems causing devastating and often lethal disease...
- Designing a biocontainment unit to care for patients with serious communicable diseases: a consensus statementPhilip W Smith
Biocontainment Unit, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5400, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 4:351-65. 2006..g., smallpox), by a global emerging infectious disease (e.g., avian influenza, viral hemorrhagic fevers), or by a laboratory accident...
- Long-term survival of an urban fruit bat seropositive for Ebola and Lagos bat virusesDavid T S Hayman
Cambridge Infectious Diseases Consortium, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
PLoS ONE 5:e11978. 2010Ebolaviruses (EBOV) (family Filoviridae) cause viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans and non-human primates when they spill over from their wildlife reservoir hosts with case fatality rates of up to 90%...
- Arenavirus entry occurs through a cholesterol-dependent, non-caveolar, clathrin-mediated endocytic mechanismEric M Vela
Department of Pathology, Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Virology 369:1-11. 2007Arenaviruses are important causes of viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans. Arenavirus infection of cells occurs via a pH-dependent endocytic route, but detailed studies of entry pathways have not been done...
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever in the era of bioterrorismAndrea Polesky
Santa Clara County Tuberculosis Clinic, Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System, San Jose, CA, USA
Semin Respir Infect 18:206-15. 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers are among a small group of infectious diseases considered potential candidates for use as agents of bioterrorism...
- [Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever]Masayuki Saijo
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Musashimurayama, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Uirusu 54:223-7. 2004..Development of diagnostic laboratory capacity for viral hemorrhagic fevers is necessary even in countries without these diseases...
- Social and environmental risk factors in the emergence of infectious diseasesRobin A Weiss
Wohl Virion Centre, Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, W1T 4JF, UK
Nat Med 10:S70-6. 2004..C, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)/variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), Nipah virus, several viral hemorrhagic fevers and, most recently, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and avian influenza...
- Air evacuation under high-level biosafety containment: the aeromedical isolation teamG W Christopher
U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702 5011
Emerg Infect Dis 5:241-6. 1999..g., viral hemorrhagic fevers, plague, and zoonotic poxvirus infections)...
- Congo crimean hemorrhagic Fever in balochistanAbdul Baqi Durrani
Department of Medicine, Bolan Medical College, Quetta
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 17:543-5. 2007..Although CCHF is rare, this study stresses the need for proper health facilities in Pakistan and to include VHF (viral hemorrhagic fevers) in the differential diagnosis of unexplained fever with hemorrhagic tendencies of sudden onset.
- Viral hemorrhagic fever-induced acute kidney injuryEmerson Q Lima
Division of Nephrology, Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Semin Nephrol 28:409-15. 2008b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) are diseases caused by the RNA virus from 4 different families (Flaviridiae, Arenaviridae, Bunyaviridae, and Filoviridae) that are acquired through the bite of an infected arthropod or by the inhalation of ..
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: does it involve the heart?Aynur Engin
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Cumhuriyet University, School of Medicine, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:369-73. 2009..Despite increasing knowledge about viral hemorrhagic fevers, the pathogenesis of CCHF and causes of death have not been well described...
- LeptospirosisJ M Vinetz
World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 14:527-38. 2001..that present as undifferentiated febrile syndromes, such as malaria, dengue and influenza, as well as viral hemorrhagic fevers can mimic leptospirosis...
- Pathogenesis of arenavirus hemorrhagic feversMarie Laurence Moraz
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital Center and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:49-59. 2011b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) caused by arenaviruses belong to the most devastating emerging human diseases and represent serious public health problems...
- Zidampidine, an aryl phosphate derivative of AZT: in vivo pharmacokinetics, metabolism, toxicity, and anti-viral efficacy against hemorrhagic fever caused by Lassa virusF M Uckun
Drug Discovery Program, Parker Hughes Center for Clinical Immunology, 2699 Patton Road, St Paul, MN 55113, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 13:3279-88. 2005..0001). This pilot study provides the basis for future preclinical evaluation of Zidampidine and its potential as a new agent for the treatment of viral hemorrhagic fevers caused by Lassa virus.
- Biological warfare from a dermatologic perspectiveJeffrey J Meffert
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 3:304-10. 2003..recommended treatments, and preventive measures of agents such as anthrax, smallpox, plague, and the viral hemorrhagic fevers are discussed, as well as some of the issues that have been raised as authorities are considering how and ..
- Pathological and virological features of arenavirus disease in guinea pigs. Comparison of two Pichinde virus strainsJ F Aronson
University of Texas Medical Branch, Department of Pathology, Galveston
Am J Pathol 145:228-35. 1994..Splenic red pulp necrosis was also significantly associated with adPIC infection but not PIC3739 infection. These findings may provide clues to the pathogenesis of a group of poorly understood human viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- Antiviral treatment of Argentine hemorrhagic feverD A Enria
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Virales Humanas INEVH, Pergamino, Argentina
Antiviral Res 23:23-31. 1994..Ribavirin, a broad spectrum antiviral agent, is effective in the treatment of other viral hemorrhagic fevers, and the studies done with Junin virus infections to date indicate that this drug may also have a ..
- Emerging and zoonotic infections in womenRegan N Theiler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550 0587, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 22:755-72, vii-viii. 2008..virus, West Nile virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, avian influenza A virus, viral hemorrhagic fevers, spirochetal illnesses, and Chagas' disease...
- [Practical strategies against bioterrorism]Tetsuya Matsumoto
Department of Microbiology, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 65:2363-73. 2007..Especially, anthrax, smallpox, plague, botulism, tularemia, and viral hemorrhagic fevers are important illness due to biological agents with a high potential for adverse public health impact...
- Assessment of the risk of Ebola virus transmission from bodily fluids and fomitesDaniel G Bausch
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S142-7. 2007..the acute period of illness but that the risk of transmission from fomites in an isolation ward and from convalescent patients is low when currently recommended infection control guidelines for the viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed.
- Development of a broad-spectrum antiviral with activity against Ebola virusM Javad Aman
United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Antiviral Res 83:245-51. 2009..of a small molecule therapeutic, FGI-106, which displays potent and broad-spectrum inhibition of lethal viral hemorrhagic fevers pathogens, including Ebola, Rift Valley and Dengue Fever viruses, in cell-based assays...
- Bench-to-bedside review: rare and common viral infections in the intensive care unit--linking pathophysiology to clinical presentationNicholas Stollenwerk
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
Crit Care 12:219. 2008..Others, such as adenovirus, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-coronavirus, Hantavirus, and the viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs), are rare but have an immense public health impact...
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers of South AmericaRobert B Tesh
Department of Pathology and Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Biomedica 22:287-95. 2002This paper reviews the epidemiology and distinguishing features of three viral hemorrhagic fevers (dengue hemorrhagic fever, yellow fever and arenaviral hemorrhagic fever) that have emerged as important public health problems in South ..
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Iran and neighboring countriesS Chinikar
Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
J Clin Virol 47:110-4. 2010..The disease is one of the most widely distributed viral hemorrhagic fevers occurring in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and some parts of Europe...
- Pathogenesis and sepsis caused by organisms potentially utilized as biologic weapons: opportunities for targeted interventionMatthew J Hepburn
Defence Science and Technology Laboratories, Porton Down, Wiltshire, UK
Curr Drug Targets 8:519-32. 2007..to sepsis for key biologic threat agents (causative agents of anthrax, plague, tularemia, smallpox and viral hemorrhagic fevers), and highlight current and future therapeutic targets...
- Fatal malaria infection in travelers: novel immunohistochemical assays for the detection of Plasmodium falciparum in tissues and implications for pathogenesisGillian L Genrich
Infectious Disease Pathology and Malaria Branches, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:251-9. 2007..to malaria-endemic areas, whose deaths were initially suspected to have been caused by other bacterial or viral hemorrhagic fevers. The HRP-2 assay was specific for P. falciparum, whereas the aldolase and pLDH assays also reacted with P...
- Emergency department evaluation of the febrile travelerDavid C Pigott
Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 S 19th St, JTN 266, Birmingham, AL 35249 7013, USA
J Infect 54:1-5. 2007..This diseases range from widespread tropical diseases such as malaria to the more exotic and lethal viral hemorrhagic fevers. A thoughtful approach guided by geographic patterns of illness offers a reliable method for determining ..
- Evaluation of factors predictive of the prognosis in Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: new suggestionsBaris Ozturk
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 16:e89-93. 2012Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) is one of the viral hemorrhagic fevers caused by tick bites. Common symptoms of the infection are fatigue, high fever, headache, and myalgia...
- Aeromedical evacuation using an aircraft transit isolator of a patient with Lassa feverEric Lotz
Medic Air International, 35 rue Jules Ferry, 93170 Bagnolet, France
Aviat Space Environ Med 83:527-30. 2012..Aeromedical evacuation of patients with viral hemorrhagic fevers (such as Lassa fever) demands strict isolation measures...
- [Viral hemorrhagic fevers in Brazil]Luiz Tadeu Moraes Figueiredo
Centro de Pesquisa em Virologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:203-10. 2006To call attention to viral hemorrhagic fevers, diseases that are mostly underdivulged and, probably, underreported, we present here case reports of the 4 diseases of this kind that occur in Brazil: yellow fever, dengue haemorrhagic fever/..
- [Fluorescent microbeads-based multiplex detection of IgM antibodies to pathogens caused viral hemorrhagic fever]Jian dong Li
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, Institute for Viral Diseases Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100052, China
Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi 23:149-51. 2009..To develop and evaluate a multiplex detection of IgM antibodies to pathogens caused viral hemorrhagic fever...
- A multivalent and cross-protective vaccine strategy against arenaviruses associated with human diseaseMaya F Kotturi
Division of Vaccine Discovery, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000695. 2009..In conclusion, the set of identified epitopes allows broad, non-ethnically biased coverage of all 7 viral species targeted by our studies...
- Research on prevention and treatment of hemorrhagic feversJustyna Joniec
Biological Threats Identification and Countermeasure Centre, Military Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Puławy, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 19:165-71. 2012b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers are severe zoonotic diseases caused by RNA-viruses classified into 4 families: Arenaviridae, Bunyaviridae, Filoviridae, and Flaviviridae...
- Recognition and management of bioterrorism infectionsKaren K O'Brien
Family Practice Residency Program, Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, Georgia, USA
Am Fam Physician 67:1927-34. 2003..Many resources are available to physicians when a bioterrorism attack is suspected, including local public health agencies and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...
- [Emerging viral diseases]Francois Bricaire
Service des Maladies infectieuses et tropicales Groupe Hospitalier de la Pitié Salpêtrière, 47 Bld de l Hopital, 75015 Paris
Bull Acad Natl Med 190:597-608; discussion 609, 625-7. 2006..Pox and Monkeypox are "virtually emerging" viruses that have potential for use in bioterrorism. The management and treatment of these emerging infectious diseases calls for new approaches, organizations and infrastructures...
- Contributions of mast cells and vasoactive products, leukotrienes and chymase, to dengue virus-induced vascular leakageAshley L St John
Program in Emerging Infectious Diseases, Duke National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore Department of Pathology, Duke University, Durham, United States
elife 2:e00481. 2013..the processes that underlie increased vascular permeability and pathological plasma leakage during viral hemorrhagic fevers are largely unknown...
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever as a rare cause of bleeding following percutaneous nephrolithotomySantosh Kumar
Department of Urology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, 160012 Chandigarh, India
Urol Res 40:177-9. 2012..Medical causes of bleeding such as locally endemic viral hemorrhagic fevers should also be kept in mind and evaluated especially when a surgical cause of the bleed is not found or ..
- The emergence and maintenance of vector-borne diseases in the khyber pakhtunkhwa province, and the federally administered tribal areas of pakistanNathan C Nieto
Department of Agriculture, Nutrition, and Veterinary Science, University of Nevada Reno, NV, USA
Front Physiol 3:250. 2012..Pathogens endemic to the region include the agents of piroplasmosis, rickettsiosis, spirochetosis, and viral hemorrhagic fevers and encephalitis...
- Immunopathogenesis of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome and hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome: Do CD8+ T cells trigger capillary leakage in viral hemorrhagic fevers?Masanori Terajima
Immunol Lett 113:117-20. 2007There are many viruses known to cause viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans. The mechanisms causing hemorrhage are likely to vary among viruses...
- Evaluation of Lassa virus vaccine immunogenicity in a CBA/J-ML29 mouse modelMarco A Goicochea
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, United States
Vaccine 30:1445-52. 2012Lassa fever (LF) is one of the most prevalent viral hemorrhagic fevers in West Africa responsible for thousands of deaths annually...
- Aminoglycoside Antivirals to Combat ArenavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..that cause important and severe human diseases like Lassa fever virus (LFV) and the South American viral hemorrhagic fevers (SAHF). In addition, weaponized forms of these viruses pose a real threat as agents of bioterrorism...
- B.abortus-based vaccine against viral hemorrhagic feversRamesh Vemulapalli; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) are severe and life-threatening diseases caused by several viruses...
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The CDC has ranked viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHP) among the highest of the potential bioterror threats, in part because of their high case-fatality ..
- Recombinant Yellow Fever 17D-Lassa VaccineIgor Lukashevich; Fiscal Year: 2007Yellow Fever (YF) and Lassa Fever (LF) are two viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) endemic for West and Central Africa. Among causative agents of VHFs, Lassa (LAS) and YF viruses affect the largest number of people in Africa...
- Cytokine patterns in guinea pig arenavirus diseaseJudith Aronson; Fiscal Year: 2004..cytokines are important effectors in the terminal pathophysiology of septic shock and other viral hemorrhagic fevers, and some have direct anti-viral effects in cultured cells...
- Recombinant Yellow Fever 17D-Lassa VaccineIgor Lukashevich; Fiscal Year: 2009Yellow Fever (YF) and Lassa Fever (LF) are two viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHFs) endemic for West and Central Africa. Among causative agents of VHFs, Lassa (LAS) and YF viruses affect the largest number of people in Africa...
- Pathobiology and Small-Molecule Inhibition of Arenavirus InfectionAndrew Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers represent a serious public health problem, with recurring outbreaks of hemorrhagic fever occurring in all parts of the world...
- Genetics of Innate Immunity in Human Leptospirosis in BrazilJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The fulminant hemorrhagic form of leptospirosis can closely mimic a number of viral hemorrhagic fevers caused by potential bioterrorism agents...
- Therapeutics to Prevent/Treat Lassa Fever VirusMichael B Oldstone; Fiscal Year: 2010..Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Oldstone, Michael - 2 R01 AI055540-06 REVISED ABSTRACT SECTION Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) caused by the arenaviruses Lassa virus (LASV), Machupo (MACV), Guanarito (GTOV), and Junin virus (..
- Developing small molecule therapeutics for Ebola hemorrhagic fever virusArnab Basu; Fiscal Year: 2010Ebola virus (EBOV) causes periodic outbreaks of severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa with high mortality rates in infected patients...
- Therapeutics for Pox, Filo and Other Viral PathogensSTEWART SCHNELLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Among that group of pathogens are smallpox and the viral hemorrhagic fevers (including the filoviruses Ebola and Marburg)...
- Identification of Ebola Virus Entry InhibitorsArnab Basu; Fiscal Year: 2007Ebola virus (EBOV) causes periodic outbreaks of severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa with high mortality rates in infected patients...
- A Cellular Receptor for New World ArenavirusesHYERYUN NONE CHOE; Fiscal Year: 2010Arenaviruses cause severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans...
- A Cellular Receptor for New World ArenavirusesHyeryun Choe; Fiscal Year: 2007Arenaviruses cause severe viral hemorrhagic fevers in humans...
- Ebola virus VP24_a novel inhibitor of interferon and oxidative stress signalingChristopher F Basler; Fiscal Year: 2011..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Ebolaviruses (EBOVs) are emerging viruses that cause severe viral hemorrhagic fevers and are therefore considered a public health threat...
- CTL pathogenesis after infection of vaccinated hostJohn Harty; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, agents that cause viral hemorrhagic fevers, including some LCMV strains, are CDC class A biodefense agents...
- Host Genetics and Symptomatic Dengue InfectionRONALD BLANTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study may help predict populations at risk, may influence vaccine design or may aid in understanding and managing other viral hemorrhagic fevers.
- CD 8 T Cell Mediated Disruption of Blood Brain Tight JunctionAaron J Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such diseases characterized by disruption of the BBB including stroke, viral hemorrhagic fevers, cerebral malaria, HIV dementia, multiple sclerosis (MS), and shock...
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The CDC has ranked viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) among the highest of the potential bioterror threats, in part because of their high case-fatality ..
- Chimeric VLP Vaccines for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Compans; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF's) involve severe disease symptoms and high mortality rates, and the potential for natural reemergence and spread of the viral agents...
- Infectious Diseases From Nature: Mclaughlin SymposiumCLARENCE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., hantavirus; mosquito-borne viruses, e.g. West Nile; filoviruses (e.g. Ebola); alphaviruses (Rift Valley Fever Viruses) and others, including HIV and SARS. ..
- Rift Valley Fever Virus MP-12 Vaccine CompletionCLARENCE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF BORNA DISEASE VIRUS (BDV)JUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- Anti-interferon Activity of the Arenavirus NucleoproteinLuis Martinez Sobrido; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge should fuel the development of better antiviral strategies to combat human pathogenic arenaviruses. ..
- Global TravEpiNet: Global Travelers' Health National Research Center ConsortiumEdward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2007..We would use data generated through this network in an attempt to estimate national vaccine coverage rates (and other preventative strategies) among international travelers. ..
- TARGETING SIGNALING OF THE TISSUE FACTOR PATHWAYWolfram Ruf; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- A Staged Strategy for Virus Identification and DiscoveryWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Consistent with aims proposed in AI51292, our initial clinical application will be to analyze enteroviral serotypes implicated in human disease in North America. ..
- Viral Arrays for BiodefenseW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A DEVELOPMENTAL MODEL FOR AUTISM BASED ON CNS INFECTIONWALTER LIPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) Determine how opoptosis contributes to the neuropathology observed after neonatal infection. (5) Analyze regional changes in neurotransmitter systems following neonatal infection. ..
- NEW GENETIC MODELS FOR TISSUE FACTOR SIGNALINGWolfram Ruf; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of such markers will facilitate the quantitation of coagulation signaling in vivo and thus advance clinical efforts to design therapeutic intervention in coagulant cell signaling pathways . ..
- Functional Cooperation of Tissue Factor and IntegrinsWolfram Ruf; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, these experiments will characterize a novel pathway of integrin cooperation with TF of relevance for endothelial cell migration. ..
- High throughput proteomic analysis of Salmonella entericaEdward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Transcutaneous and oral-transcutaneous cholera immunization with TcpA and Peru15Edward Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2007....