Genomes and Genes
Summary: Disorders in the frequency of urination, the volume of urine produced or eliminated, or the ability to retain or void urine in normal fashion.
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Update on the relationship between sexual dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasiaRaymond C Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Curr Opin Urol 16:11-9. 2006..Recent evidence of an association between LUTS/BPH and sexual dysfunction will be reviewed, as well as the effects of pharmacological treatment options for symptomatic LUTS/BPH on sexual function...
- Role of voiding and storage symptoms for the quality of life before and after treatment in men with voiding dysfunctionPetros Sountoulides
Department of Urology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
World J Urol 28:3-8. 2010..Therefore, we have explored associations between Q (max) and voiding and storage sub-scores of the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) before and after treatment with QoL...
- Autonomic nervous system overactivity in men with lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasiaKevin T McVary
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Urol 174:1327-433. 2005..We investigated the relationship of ANS activity to LUTS as well as to objective measures of BPH in men with BPH...
- Function preservation in rectal cancer surgeryYoshihiro Moriya
Colorectal Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, 104 0045, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:339-43. 2006..This article reviews findings from recent studies investigating urinary, sexual, and defecation dysfunction after rectal cancer surgery and discusses questions to be studied in the future...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing the 1-stage with the 2-stage implantation of a pulse generator in patients with pelvic floor dysfunction selected for sacral nerve stimulationK Everaert
Department of Urology, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, B9000 Ghent, Belgium
Eur Urol 45:649-54. 2004....
- Alpha1-adrenergic receptors and their inhibitors in lower urinary tract symptoms and benign prostatic hyperplasiaClaus G Roehrborn
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
J Urol 171:1029-35. 2004....
- The unstable detrusorPaul Bulmer
Bristol Urological Institute, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trim, Bristol, UK
Urol Int 72:1-12. 2004..Surgical treatment often involves a degree of bladder denervation to reduce bladder activity. This can consequently produce voiding difficulties which necessitate patients to self-catheterise on a longterm basis...
- Combination of a cholinergic drug and an alpha-blocker is more effective than monotherapy for the treatment of voiding difficulty in patients with underactive detrusorTomonori Yamanishi
Department of Urology, Dokkyo University, Mibu, Chiba, Japan
Int J Urol 11:88-96. 2004..The aim of the present study was to compare the effectiveness of a cholinergic drug, an alpha-blocker and combinations of the two for the treatment of underactive detrusor...
- Impact on quality of life of different lower urinary tract symptoms in men measured by means of the SF 36 questionnaireGabriella Engstrom
Department of Caring Science, Malardalen University, Vasteras, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 40:485-94. 2006..To describe how different lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) affect the quality of life (QOL) in men...
- Neurophysiological evidence may predict the outcome of sacral neuromodulationS Malaguti
Spinal Unit, Ospedale Magenta, Italy
J Urol 170:2323-6. 2003..Somatosensory evoked potentials (SEPs) of the pudendal and posterior tibial nerves were evaluated in patients implanted with a monolateral permanent quadripolar electrode...
- Cardiovascular effects of the selective alphalA-adrenoceptor antagonist silodosin (KMD-3213), a drug for the treatment of voiding dysfunctionSatoshi Tatemichi
Pharmacology Research R and D, Kissei Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 4365 1, Kashiwabara, Hotaka, Azumino City, Nagano Pref 399 8304, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 56:682-7. 2006..The cardiovascular profile of silodosin suggests therefore that it is a safe and well-tolerated drug...
- The relationship between lower urinary tract symptoms and health status: the UREPIK studyP Boyle
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
BJU Int 92:575-80. 2003..To assess the hypothesis that as lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) increase in severity, the impact as measured by the BPH impact index (BII) would also increase...
- Reduced perception of urgency in treatment of overactive bladder with extended-release tolterodineRobert Freeman
Urogynaecology Unit, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 102:605-11. 2003..To evaluate the effect of once-daily, extended-release tolterodine on urinary urgency in patients with overactive bladder...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasia: minimizing morbidity caused by treatmentClaude C Schulman
Department of Urology, Erasme Hospital, University Clinics of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Urology 62:24-33. 2003..Medical therapies, and particularly alpha(1)-adrenoceptor antagonists such as tamsulosin, can be considered a first-line treatment option for LUTS/BPH because they provide effective relief of bothersome LUTS with excellent tolerability...
- The relation of lower urinary tract symptoms with life-style factors and objective measures of benign prostatic enlargement and obstruction: an Italian surveyAndrea Tubaro
Department of Urology, Sant Andrea Hospital, 2nd School of Medicine, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Eur Urol 45:767-72. 2004..The association between the severity of LUTS and prostate volume, prostate-related variables and general life-style factors was investigated in a large number of patients with persistent LUTS suggestive of BPH (LUTS/BPH)...
- Serum C-reactive protein concentration and lower urinary tract symptoms in older men in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)Sabine Rohrmann
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, 615 N. Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Prostate 62:27-33. 2005..The presence of the metabolic syndrome might be a mediator of this association...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with erectile dysfunction: analysis of risk factorsAhmed I El-Sakka
Department of Urology, Suez Canal University, School of Medicine, Ismailia, Egypt
J Sex Med 3:144-9. 2006..The association between erectile dysfunction (ED) and lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) is unclear. Conventionally, little attention has been given to the association between ED and LUTS...
- Sacral versus pudendal nerve stimulation for voiding dysfunction: a prospective, single-blinded, randomized, crossover trialKenneth M Peters
Department of Urology, Ministrelli Program for Urologic Research and Education MPURE, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 24:643-7. 2005..The objective of the study was to compare sacral nerve stimulation (SNS) to pudendal nerve stimulation (PNS) for voiding dysfunction...
- Ovarian cancer: can we make the clinical diagnosis earlier?Lloyd H Smith
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California at Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Cancer 104:1398-407. 2005..The aim of this study was to provide an objective evaluation of symptoms that precede a diagnosis of ovarian cancer...
- Relationship between lower urinary tract symptoms frequency assessed by the IPSS and bothersomeness (SPI) among men older than 50 years oldP Perrin
Department of Urology, Lyon Sud Hospital, France
Eur Urol 48:601-7. 2005..Considering the importance of bothersomeness associated with lower urinary tract symptoms for the therapy decision, the joint use of the IPSS and SPI seems appropriate...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with erectile dysfunction: is there a vascular association?Ahmed I El-Sakka
Department of Urology, Suez Canal University, School of Medicine, Ismailia, Egypt
Eur Urol 48:319-25. 2005..To assess if there is an underlying vascular association between lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Effect of lower urinary tract symptoms on the incidence of erectile dysfunctionRahman Shiri
Tampere School of Public Health, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
J Urol 174:205-9; discussion 209. 2005..We determined the effect of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) on the incidence of erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Localized contractions in the normal human bladder and in urinary urgencyMarcus J Drake
School of Surgical and Reproductive Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJU Int 95:1002-5. 2005..To describe an observational study to establish whether localized activity arises in the normal human bladder, and whether there is any correspondence between changes in such activity and reported sensation...
- Prolonged sacral neuromodulation testing using permanent leads: a more reliable patient selection method?Thomas M Kessler
Neuro urology unit, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Innsbruck, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Urol 47:660-5. 2005..To assess the effect of prolonged sacral neuromodulation testing using permanent leads comparing the usual evaluation period of 4 to 7 days to a prolonged evaluation period of a minimum of 14 days...
- Efficacy and tolerability of tolterodine extended-release in continent patients with overactive bladder and nocturiaVictor W Nitti
Department of Urology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
BJU Int 97:1262-6. 2006..To evaluate the clinical efficacy and tolerability of tolterodine extended-release (ER) in continent patients with overactive bladder (OAB) and nocturia...
- Assessment of the impact of sildenafil citrate on lower urinary tract symptoms in men with erectile dysfunctionJohn P Mulhall
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Sex Med 3:662-7. 2006..Recent data suggest an association between erectile dysfunction (ED) and lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). Anecdotally some patients cite improvement in LUTS while using sildenafil...
- Oncologic and functional results of total mesorectal excision and autonomic nerve-preserving operation for advanced lower rectal cancerKazuo Shirouzu
Department of Surgery, Kurume University, Faculty of Medicine, Kurume City, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1442-7. 2004..It is unclear whether autonomic nerve preservation is suitable curative procedure. We clarify the significance of autonomic nerve preservation for an advanced lower rectal cancer...
- Sildenafil citrate improves erectile function and urinary symptoms in men with erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a randomized, double-blind trialKevin T McVary
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
J Urol 177:1071-7. 2007..We evaluated sildenafil for erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms in men with the 2 conditions...
- Long-term outcomes of urgency-frequency syndrome due to painful bladder syndrome treated with sacral neuromodulation and analysis of failuresCharles R Powell
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1089, USA
J Urol 183:173-6. 2010..We present our long-term experience with sacral neuromodulation devices placed in patients with painful bladder syndrome to determine whether the benefit decreases over time...
- Symptom-specific quality of life in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasiaKoji Yoshimura
Department of Urology, Kurashiki Central Hospital, Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
Int J Urol 9:485-90. 2002..We investigated which factors are most bothersome to preoperative patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Assessment of sexual and voiding function after total mesorectal excision with pelvic autonomic nerve preservation in males with rectal cancerNam Kyu Kim
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Dis Colon Rectum 45:1178-85. 2002..The International Prostate Symptom Score and International Index of Erectile Function questionnaires were useful in assessing urinary and sexual function...
- The relationship of detrusor instability and symptoms with objective parameters used for diagnosing bladder outlet obstruction: a prospective studyBassem S Wadie
Mansoura Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
J Urol 168:132-4. 2002..It also signifies a more severe degree of obstruction in male patients with lower urinary tract symptoms and bladder outlet obstruction due to benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Non-neurogenic female voiding dysfunctionAsnat Groutz
Urogynecology Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Curr Opin Urol 12:311-6. 2002..The aim of this review is to present up-to-date data and controversies associated with non-neurogenic female voiding dysfunction...
- Terazosin therapy for patients with female lower urinary tract symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialBee Yean Low
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Science Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
J Urol 179:1461-9. 2008..We determined the clinical efficacy and safety of terazosin in the treatment of patients with female lower urinary tract symptoms...
- Identifying symptoms of ovarian cancer: a qualitative and quantitative studyC R Bankhead
Cancer Research UK Primary Care Education Research Group, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, UK
BJOG 115:1008-14. 2008..Symptoms of ovarian cancer are often vague and consequently a high proportion of women with ovarian cancer are not referred to the appropriate clinic...
- Does mode of hysterectomy influence micturition and defecation?J P Roovers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:945-51. 2001..Hysterectomy may affect bladder and bowel function. A retrospective study was performed to compare the prevalence of micturition and defecation symptoms between different modes of hysterectomy...
- The effectiveness of tamsulosin in treating women with voiding difficultyShang Jen Chang
Department of Urology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taipei Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Urol 15:981-5. 2008..To prospectively evaluate the effectiveness of tamsulosin in treating women with voiding difficulty...
- The overlap of storage, voiding and postmicturition symptoms and implications for treatment seeking in the USA, UK and Sweden: EpiLUTSChris C Sexton
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
BJU Int 103:12-23. 2009..To assess the (i) the overlap between voiding, storage, and postmicturition symptoms; and (ii) the relative effect of bother and implications for treatment seeking within these symptom groups, using data from the EpiLUTS study...
- Implications of recent epidemiology studies for the clinical management of lower urinary tract symptomsSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA
BJU Int 103:48-57. 2009..Likewise, understanding that the impact of LUTS on HRQL and the degree of bother, rather than the frequency of LUTS, are significant drivers for treatment seeking might aid in assisting patients to make decisions about treatment...
- Avoiding long-term disturbance to bladder and sexual function in pelvic surgery, particularly with rectal cancerK Havenga
Department of Surgery, Nijmegen University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Semin Surg Oncol 18:235-43. 2000....
- Re-operation rates after permanent sacral nerve stimulation for refractory voiding dysfunction in womenRoberta E Blandon
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
BJU Int 101:1119-23. 2008..Minneapolis, MI, USA) device for sacral nerve stimulation (SNS)...
- Subcutaneous tunneling of the temporary testing electrode significantly improves the success rate of subchronic sacral nerve modulation (SNM)Karl Dietrich Sievert
Department of Urology, University of Tuebingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
World J Urol 25:607-12. 2007....
- Bothersome urinary symptoms and disease-specific quality of life in patients with benign prostatic obstructionHelén Marklund-Bau
Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, University Hospital of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 41:32-41. 2007....
- Efficacy of tamsulosin in the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in womenNithi Pummangura
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asian J Surg 30:131-7. 2007..We attempted to determine whether tamsulosin is an efficacious therapy for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in women...
- Physiologic reactivity to a laboratory stress task among men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaPhilip M Ullrich
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Urology 70:487-91; discussion 491-2. 2007..The objective of this study was to examine the associations between psychological stress reactivity and BPH disease parameters...
- Clinical diagnosis of bladder outlet obstruction in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: reliability of commonly measured parameters and the role of idiopathic detrusor overactivityStepan Vesely
Department of Urology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Neurourol Urodyn 22:301-5. 2003....
- The burden of lower urinary tract symptoms: evaluating the effect of LUTS on health-related quality of life, anxiety and depression: EpiLUTSKarin S Coyne
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
BJU Int 103:4-11. 2009....
- Enlarged prostate: a landmark national survey of its prevalence and impact on US men and their partnersC G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX 75390 9110, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 9:30-4. 2006..These findings confirm that LUTS and EP are prevalent in the US population, affecting both patient and spouse, and may help in developing management strategies for EP...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms and sexual dysfunction: epidemiology and pathophysiologyKevin McVary
Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, USA
BJU Int 97:23-8; discussion 44-5. 2006..Studies treating one condition (e.g. ED) and measuring the impact on the other (e.g. LUTS) should further contribute to support this common link...
- Morbidity after ambulatory urodynamicsK Anders
Urogynaecology Department, King's College Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Neurourol Urodyn 21:461-3. 2002..1%) had a positive urinary culture after the investigation but was asymptomatic. Seventeen women reported mild to moderate de novo dysuria. CONCLUSIONS: Urinary symptoms and morbidity after ambulatory monitoring is low...
- Bladder and male sexual functions after autonomic nerve-sparing TME with or without lateral node dissection for rectal cancerK Maeda
Department of Surgery, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, 1 98 Kutsukake, Toyoake, Aichi, 470 1192 Japan
Tech Coloproctol 7:29-33. 2003..We evaluated to what extent lateral lymph node dissection (LND) interferes with bladder and male sexual functions after radical rectal excision with adoption of careful total autonomic nerve preservation...
- Tolterodine extended release improves overactive bladder symptoms in men with overactive bladder and nocturiaSteven A Kaplan
Department of Urology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York 10021, USA
Urology 68:328-32. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of nighttime dosing with tolterodine extended release (TER) in men with overactive bladder (OAB) and nocturia...
- [Randomized controlled study on ginger-salt-partitioned moxibustion at shenque (CV 8) on urination disorders poststroke]Hui Lin Liu
Acupuncture Section, Beijing TCM Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing 100010, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 26:621-4. 2006To probe the therapeutic effect and safety of ginger-salt-partitioned moxibustion on urination disorders poststroke.
- Randomized, double-blind placebo- and tolterodine-controlled trial of the once-daily antimuscarinic agent solifenacin in patients with symptomatic overactive bladderC R Chapple
Department of Urology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
BJU Int 93:303-10. 2004..e. urgency, incontinence, and frequency, with additional objectives being to assess the safety and tolerability of solifenacin and to compare the efficacy and safety of solifenacin with tolterodine 2 mg twice daily...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms in 1,912 apparently healthy persons of both sexesTomoyuki Shimabukuro
The Department of Urology, Ube Industries Central Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 52:189-95. 2006..The distribution of IPSS-QI was very similar within each category of the IPSS severity in both sexes, showing that LUTS was equally bothersome to both sexes. These data should be taken into account to evaluate LUTS in both sexes...
- Outcomes of 80 W KTP laser vaporization of the large prostateVolkan Tugcu
Department of Urology, Bakirkoy Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Urol Int 79:316-20. 2007..We evaluated the safety and efficacy of 80 W potassium-titanyl-phosphate (KTP) laser vaporization of the prostate in men with prostate volumes >70 ml...
- Comparison of two alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists, naftopidil and tamsulosin hydrochloride, in the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a randomized crossover studyYoshinori Nishino
Department of Urology, Division of Disease Control, Research Field of Medical Sciences, Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu University, Japan
BJU Int 97:747-51, discussion 751. 2006....
- Impact of lower urinary tract symptoms on quality of life using Functional Assessment Cancer Therapy scaleJose E Batista-Miranda
Urodynamics Unit, CM Teknon, Barcelona, Spain
Urology 69:285-8. 2007..To assess the impact of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) on general quality-of-life (QOL) measures in an outpatient setting...
- [The effectiveness of naftopidil in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia evaluated by QOL index]Hiroomi Nakatsu
Department of Urology, Asahi General Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 53:13-8. 2007..The results show that naftpidil is effective for LUTS caused by BPH, and that improvement of nocturia and incomplete emptying contributed to the improvement in QOL...
- The immediate and 6-mo reproducibility of pressure-flow studies in men with benign prostatic enlargementHashim Hashim
Bristol Urological Institute, Bristol, United Kingdom
Eur Urol 52:1186-93. 2007..Urodynamics is an objective method of diagnosing bladder outlet obstruction (BOO) in men. This study examined the immediate and 6-mo reproducibility of this investigation...
- [The efficacy of Gosyajinkigan for pollakisuria]Akihiko Watanabe
The Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, National University Corporation, University of Toyama
Hinyokika Kiyo 52:197-201. 2006..It was concluded that Goshajinkigan was effective for pollakisuria with prostatic disease, and the administration of the agent for 8 weeks or longer was needed to improve lower urinary tract symptoms...
- Comparison of pelvic floor muscle training, electromyography biofeedback, and neuromuscular electrical stimulation for bladder dysfunction in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized pilot studyD McClurg
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
Neurourol Urodyn 25:337-48. 2006..CONCLUSION: Results suggest that these treatments, used in combination, may reduce urinary symptoms in MS. Further research will establish the effectiveness of these interventions...
- Significant relationship of time-dependent uroflowmetric parameters to lower urinary tract symptoms as measured by the International Prostate Symptom ScoreHideaki Itoh
Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Urol 13:1058-65. 2006..The aim of the present paper is to elucidate the possible involvement of time-dependent parameters as obtained by uroflowmetry in the manifestation of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in elderly patients...
- Comparison of 25 and 75 mg/day naftopidil for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a prospective, randomized controlled studyTeruhiko Yokoyama
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Science, Okayama University, Japan
Int J Urol 13:932-8. 2006....
- Male lower urinary tract symptoms: treatment with a-blockers, 5-a-reductase inhibitors, antimuscarinics, or a combinationRodney A Appell
Curr Urol Rep 8:370-2. 2007..Despite this, large-scale trials to test the efficacy of such combination therapy are still lacking...
- Do alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists improve lower urinary tract symptoms by reducing bladder outlet resistance?Maurits M Barendrecht
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurourol Urodyn 27:226-30. 2008....
- Zolpidem pharmacotherapy combined with alpha-blocker therapy for nocturia unresponsive to alpha-blocker monotherapy in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: a preliminary studyYun Seob Song
Department of Urology, Soonchunhyang School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1147-52. 2007....
- Is sensory urgency part of the same spectrum of bladder dysfunction as detrusor overactivity?Bernard T Haylen
St Vincent s Clinic, 438 Victoria Street, 2010, Darlinghurst, N S W, Australia
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:123-8. 2007..Overall, sensory urgency and detrusor overactivity appear to be part of the same spectrum of bladder dysfunction...
- Natural history of voiding function after radical retropubic prostatectomyShunichi Namiki
Department of Urology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Seiryomachi, Sendai, Japan
Urology 68:142-7. 2006..To report results from a 2-year longitudinal survey of lower urinary tract function and quality of life (QOL) in men after radical retropubic prostatectomy (RP) for localized prostate cancer...
- alpha-blocker monotherapy in the treatment of nocturia in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: a prospective study of response predictionJae-Seung Paick
Department of Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, and Seoul Veterans Hospital, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 97:1017-23. 2006..Our results suggest that both subjective and objective numbers of nocturia episodes are associated with improvements in subjective and objective nocturnal frequencies, respectively...
- The role of BPH, lower urinary tract symptoms, and PSA levels on erectile function of Brazilian men who undergo prostate cancer screeningAlberto A Antunes
University of Sao Paulo Medical School Urology, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Sex Med 5:1702-7. 2008..Lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and erectile dysfunction (ED) are common problems in middle-aged and older men. Recently, epidemiologic studies have shown significant associations between severity of LUTS and male sexual dysfunction...
- Association among the symptoms, quality of life and urodynamic parameters in patients with improved lower urinary tract symptoms following a transurethral resection of the prostateNarihito Seki
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Neurourol Urodyn 27:222-5. 2008..To investigate the associations of symptoms and the quality of life (QOL) with objective variables in a strictly selected large cohort of subjects with symptomatic benign prostatic obstruction (BPO)...
- [Therapeutic effect of harnal and proscar in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia]Zheng yan Tang
Department of Urology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 30:708-10. 2005..To evaluate the therapeutic effect of harnal and proscar in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- [Efficacy of a combined Sabal-urtica preparation in the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Results of a placebo-controlled double-blind study]G Popa
MMW Fortschr Med 147:103-8. 2005..In particular those patients with the stigmatizing symptoms urinary urgency and frequency benefit from such treatment...
- Prevalence and bothersomeness of lower urinary tract symptoms in benign prostatic hyperplasia and their impact on well-beingM D Eckhardt
Department of Urology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Urol 166:563-8. 2001..In contrast to weak urinary stream and hesitancy, the bothersomeness of incomplete emptying and frequency was strongly associated with well-being...
- Does digital rectal examination affect uroflowmetry measurements?Zafer Aybek
Urology Department, Pamukkale University School of Medicine, Denizli, Turkey
Neurourol Urodyn 22:138-41. 2003..To determine whether digital rectal examination (DRE) would affect uroflowmetry parameters and whether these findings were not due to the circaidan changes...
- Frequency of sexual activity and prostatic health: fact or fairy tale?Steven J Jacobsen
Department of Health Sciences Research, Division of Epidemiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Urology 61:348-53. 2003....
- Radical prostatectomy stabilizes peak urinary flow ratesThomas E Ahlering
Department of Urology, UC, Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA, USA
Can J Urol 10:1749-53. 2003..This is in contrast to diminishing PFRs seen in normal men as they age. Our study suggests that age-related reduction in PFR and voided volumes is largely eliminated after total removal of the prostate gland...
- Nocturia and benign prostatic hyperplasiaKoji Yoshimura
Department of Urology, Kurashiki Central Hospital, Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
Urology 61:786-90. 2003..Although we cannot estimate patients' satisfaction by the observed changes in scores, the rates of improvement were lowest for nocturia among the seven symptoms of IPSS after conservative and invasive treatments for BPH...
- [Long-term efficacy of naftopidil for treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms with benign prostatic hyperplasia]Toshiyuki Akasaka
Department of Urology, Akasaka Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 49:189-93. 2003....
- Urodynamic effects of alpha-adrenoceptor blockers: a review of clinical trialsBarbara B M Kortmann
Department of Urology, University Medical Center St. Raboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Urology 62:1-9. 2003
- Relief by botulinum toxin of voiding dysfunction due to benign prostatic hyperplasia: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled studyGiorgio Maria
Department of Surgery, Catholic School of Medicine, University Hospital Agostino Gemelli, Rome, Italy
Urology 62:259-64; discussion 264-5. 2003..It is safe, effective, and well-tolerated. Furthermore, it is not related to the patient's willingness to complete treatment...
- [Clinical manifestations of urinary disorders and their treatment in ageing men]Wassila Ourad
, , Ivry sur Seine (94
Presse Med 32:1085-93. 2003..Nocturnal polyuria is a frequent problem. However, simple hygiene and dietary measures and the control of certain concomitant diseases can usually relieve the symptoms. Medical treatment relies on desmopressine...
- The effects of treating lower urinary tract symptoms on health-related quality of life: a short-term outcomeK F Quek
Health Research Development Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 43:391-8. 2002..94 years) and 64.62 years (SD=7.94 years) respectively. CONCLUSIONS: The result showed that operative procedure had significantly improved the overall health-related quality of life of LUTS patients compared to those on medical treatment...
- Investigation of benign prostatic hyperplasiaAndrea Tubaro
Department of Urology, 2nd School of Medicine, La Sapienza University of Rome, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035, 00189 Rome, Italy
Curr Opin Urol 13:17-22. 2003..This is a concise and timely update of the most recent developments in the clinical research on the investigation of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Modelized analysis of pressure-flow studies of patients with lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic enlargementFrançoise A Valentini
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Neurourol Urodyn 22:45-53. 2003..To gain insight from an adaptable computer model of micturition into the pathophysiological phenomena occurring during voiding in men with lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic enlargement (BPE)...
- Questioning questions about symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasiaE Hassler
Department of Internal Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Fam Pract 18:328-32. 2001..Information obtained by asking prostate-specific symptom questions cannot, however, serve as the foundation for the GP to find those men whose problems would be solved by actions directed at the prostate...
- The natural history of lower urinary tract symptoms in black American men: relationships with aging, prostate size, flow rate and bothersomenessJ T Wei
Department of Surgery-Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Urol 165:1521-5. 2001..The AUA symptom score has the potential to identify these men and its validity in black Americans has now been established...
- Long-term use of tamsulosin to treat lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasiaC C Schulman
Erasmus University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
J Urol 166:1358-63. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Long-term treatment with tamsulosin is safe and well tolerated in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasia. Improved efficacy was sustained during 4 years of followup...
- Relationship of flow rate with symptoms, quality of life and other clinical parameters in patients with LUTS suggestive of BPHD Porru
Divisione di Urologia, Ospedale S. Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Eur Urol 40:23-7. 2001..CONCLUSION: Uroflowmetry and IPSS, although not allowing a definitive diagnosis of obstruction, may nonetheless satisfy the clinical need of a rapid, easy and accurate tool for the noninvasive screening of LUTS patients...
- Effect of voiding position on uroflowmetric parameters and post-void residual urine volume in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasiaAli Unsal
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Fatih University, Ankara, Turkey
Scand J Urol Nephrol 38:240-2. 2004..To investigate the effect of position on voiding using uroflowmetry and post-void residual (PVR) urine volume assessment in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Tamsulosin for treating lower urinary tract symptoms compatible with benign prostatic obstruction: a systematic review of efficacy and adverse effectsTimothy J Wilt
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Urol 167:177-83. 2002..Its effectiveness was similar to that of other alpha-antagonists, increasing slightly at higher doses. Adverse effects were generally mild but the incidence, including treatment withdrawals, increased substantially at higher doses...
- Efficacy and safety of once-daily alfuzosin in the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms and clinical benign prostatic hyperplasia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialC G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA
Urology 58:953-9. 2001..It is well tolerated from a cardiovascular viewpoint and is not associated with abnormal ejaculation...
- Assessment, diagnosis and management of lower urinary tract symptoms in menC T Brown
Clinical Effectiveness Unit, The Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 56:591-603. 2002..Traditional surgical techniques such as transurethral resection of the prostate are still appropriate for some men, although with improved medical treatments available the number of men undergoing surgery is declining...
- [Criteria for general practitioners to assess treatment efficacy for urination problems of the elderly]Kikuo Okamura
Department of Urology, National Chubu Hospital
Nippon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 40:352-9. 2003..However, 17% of the patients with efficacy graded as "fair" by Level I criteria might be judged "unchanged" from the viewpoint of urologists...
- Lower urinary tract symptoms in men and women without underlying disease causing micturition disorder: a cross-sectional study assessing the natural history of bladder functionIsao Araki
Department of Urology, University of Yamanashi Faculty of Medicine, Yamanashi, 1110 Shimokato, Tamaho, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
J Urol 170:1901-4. 2003..We examined the influence of aging on bladder function in men and women...
- Influence of bladder outlet obstruction and detrusor contractility on residual urine in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasiaPeng Zhang
Department of Urology, Chaoyang Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100020, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 116:1508-10. 2003..BOO has no significant influence on residual urine. Some patients with normal or weakened detrusor contractility may have more residual urine...
- Change in parameters before and after alpha-1-blocker therapy for men with lower urinary tract symptoms using color doppler ultrasound urodynamics: possible application for prediction of clinical outcomeYuichi Watanabe
Department of Urology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Urol Int 73:252-7. 2004..The velocity-flow parameters changed after alpha 1-blocker treatment. We confirmed that the transperineal ultrasound urodynamic study is not only noninvasive but also informative...
- [Evaluation of residual urine volume by ultrasound for detection of urinary bladder dysfunction after surgical therapy of rectal cancer]T Borschitz
Chirurg 76:696-701; discussion 701-2. 2005..This method can serve to assess the quality of surgical treatment for rectal cancer. A standardized definition of relevant urinary bladder malfunctions is required...
- Combined use of alpha-adrenergic and muscarinic antagonists for the treatment of voiding dysfunctionMichael R Ruggieri
Department of Pharmacology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140 5104, USA
J Urol 174:1743-8. 2005..We provide an overview of the medical literature supporting the combined use of muscarinic and alpha-adrenergic antagonist therapy for the treatment of voiding dysfunction...
- Resiniferatoxin for detrusor instability refractory to anticholinergicsPaulo C R Palma
Division of Urology, State University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Campinas, , Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 30:53-8. 2004..Maximum amplitude of the involuntary contractions was significantly reduced and in 33% patients the involuntary contractions disappeared. Further studies with different concentrations are recommended...
Research Grants102 found, 100 shown here
- REGULATION OF PROSTATE GROWTH BY NEURAL FACTORSKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using this model allows one to explore the limits of understanding prostatic neuroregulation, to explore neurotrophic influences on exocrine gland development, and to possibly uncover novel methods to influence prostate disease. ..
- N O S AND NEUROPATHIC AND ENDOTHELIAL INDUCED EDKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of this research will aid in the understanding of how diabetic neuropathy contributes to sexual dysfunction and elucidate possible mechanisms to prevent them. ..
- The Efficacy of TUMT and Neoadjuvant Finasteride for BPHKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are proposing a 3-arm, placebo/sham controlled, randomized clinical trial using changes in symptoms as the primary ..
- Saw palmetto and Pygeum africanum on BPH ProgressionKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2004..Secondary Aim: Unique to this submission is whether a chief complaint analysis, sleep scale measures or direct/indirect healthcare costs analysis provides reliable or useful information. ..
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Treatment Consort*Claus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2005..The MIST Study Group will be a blueprint for a technology assessment group applicable to other areas of urology and other medical or surgical subspecialties. ..
- Alternate Therapies for Benign Prostate SymptomsClaus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2004..8) Determine whether saw palmetto or pygeum africanum compared to placebo induce measurable changes in prostate volume, transition zone volume, serum PSA and other serum or tissue based biomarkers of BPH. ..
- Urodynamic and Multiethnic Variability of Men Treated b*Steven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Baseline urodynamic parameters which may predict improved outcome after MIST 3. The success of various types of MIST in treating BPH in African - American, Hispanic and Caucasian men. ..
- Alternative Therapies for BPH, Multiethnic VariablilitySteven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2004..forms of BPH resulting in different rates of progression and differential response to therapy? and, D) whether concomitant prostate conditions such as prostatitis are effected by phytotherapeutic intervention for BPH? ..
- Patient-Oriented Models for Urinary Function in WomenLinda Brubaker; Fiscal Year: 2007..b. To model urinary storage in health and disease c. To model urinary emptying in health and diseas ..
- Sensory Testing in Subjects with Interstitial CystitisMary FitzGerald; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The Pelvic Floor Disorders NetworkLinda Brubaker; Fiscal Year: 2007..vaginal) is best suited for an individual woman. This trial is a feasible, scientifically relevant randomized surgical trial. The draft protocol is suitable for PFDN Steering Committee discussion and revision, prior to implementation. ..
- PDE-5 Inhibition in HIV+ and HIV- MenRaymond Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Key personnel for the project are Raymond C. Rosen, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine at UMDNJ, who will serve as PI, and Joseph Catania, PhD, co-PI, from the AIDS Research Institute at UCSF. ..
- Nocturia and Chronic Medical illnessMary FitzGerald; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, salary support will allow me to continue and expand my mentoring efforts for the benefit of current and future colleagues, fellows and residents. ..
- Sexual Dysfunction and Diabetes:Look AHEAD Sub-StudyStephen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2006..iii) Finally, the proposed sub-study will investigate the relationship between changes in sexual function and quality of life outcomes. ..
- BOTULINUM TOXIN THERAPY FOR INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS/CHRON*Mary FitzGerald; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Sexual Dysfunction: Effects of Weight-LossRaymond Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, the proposed study will provide data on the relationship between sexual function outcomes and other key measures of mood state and quality of life in the main Look AHEAD trial. ..
- ADVANCED POP AND THE URINARY CONTINENCE MECHANISMLinda Brubaker; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Longitudinal Study of Endothelial Function and Erectile DysfunctionVarant Kupelian; Fiscal Year: 2010..As there are no existing studies of longitudinal assessments of both erectile dysfunction and endothelial dysfunction, the proposed study is likely to provide new information in this area. ..
- Continuation of the Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network (UITN)Linda Brubaker; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that we can continue to be a productive member of the UITN, with the ultimate objective of improving quality of life for adults through the conduct of high impact clinical research in urinary incontinence. ..
- Mechanisms of Vaginal Sling Effects on ContinenceFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-term goal of this proposal is to expand the findings of this project into an R01 application in order to translate our findings into relevant clinical studies. ..
- Beaumont Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research NetworkKenneth Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007..Adverse events and complications will be monitored. Ancillary studies as agreed upon by the ICCRN will be carried out in conjunction with the clinical trial. ..
- Improving Sleep In Nursing HomesBETTYE CONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on our previous research and that of others, we believe this study is a critical next step to improve the management of a prevalent and morbid condition that profoundly affects the quality of life of this population. ..
- Safety and Efficacy of Nerve Rerouting for Treating Neurogenic Bladder in Spina BKenneth M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2010..Dr. Xiao, in China, developed a new procedure to rewire the nerves affecting the bladder, and this project aims to scientifically establish the safety and effectiveness of the surgical procedure. ..
- Combined Behavioral and Drug Treatment of Overactive Bladder in MenKATHRYN LARSEN BURGIO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, this study will yield important information related to optimizing treatment of OAB in men. ..
- Conference--National Urology Resident Female Pelvic MedFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PKC ALTERATIONS IN LUT DYSFUNCTIONFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CHRONIC PELVIC PAINJ Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of NK-Kb signaling pathway--Intestitial CystitsRaymond Rackley; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CAREER LEADERSHIP AWARDJoseph Ouslander; Fiscal Year: 2004..The outcomes of each specific aim will be carefully tracked and evaluated utilizing a number of quantitative measures. ..
- Assessment of Altered Function in Diabetic BladderFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Na Channels in Afferents after Bladder ObstructionWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Insight into these cellular processes could be exploited to develop afferent based treatments for OAB employing pharmacologic, molecular or gene based strategies. ..
- Adult Life Predictors of Genitourinary DisordersStephen K Van Den Eeden; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hope that by identifying factors affecting genitourinary conditions we can help in the development of primary and secondary prevention interventions. ..
- UAB Continence Treatment CenterHolly Richter; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- UAB Continence Treatment CenterHolly Richter; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Survivor QOL/Spouse Satisfaction after Prostate TherapyMartin Sanda; Fiscal Year: 2007..In so doing, our findings will facilitate appropriately individualizing decision making based on unique characteristics of each prostate cancer patient and his partner. ..
- Interstitial Cyctitis Clinical Research Network (ICCRN)Robert Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Perioperative Pelvic Floor Rehab: A Randomized TrialHolly Richter; Fiscal Year: 2007..This type of information will allow physicians to more effectively counsel and treat their incontinent female patients to further enhance long-term quality of life. ..
- MODULATING TOLERANCE FOR PROSTATE CANCER ANTIGEN VACCINEMartin Sanda; Fiscal Year: 2003..The outcome of these studies will help guide the development of effective immunization strategies targeting hormone-responsive TAA in human prostate and other cancers. ..
- AIR POLLUTION, RACE, SES & ASTHMA HOSPITALIZATION RISKStephen Van den Eeden; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Harvard/Michigan Prostate Cancer Biomarker Clinical CtrMartin Sanda; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Bladder Smooth Muscle HyperplasiaPaul Austin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Work of this nature may decrease the morbidity and mortality that is caused by bladder outlet obstruction. ..
- Mid Career Award in Patient Oriented Pelvic Floor ResearchHolly Richter; Fiscal Year: 2007..She is a mentor to young clinical investigators and is the research director of the newly initiated Fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at UAB ..
- Perioperative Pelvic Floor Rehab: A Randomized TrialHolly Richter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Survivor QOL/Spouse Satisfaction after Prostate TherapyMartin Sanda; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings from this prospective, observational study will provide benchmarks to guide outcomes expectations and to facilitate evidence-based decisions regarding therapy. ..
- A new tool to diagnose female urinary incontinenceCatherine Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2007..Bradley's research career development. Dr. Bradley has the enthusiastic support of the Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecologv and her mentors and collaborators. ..
- The Functions of Affect in Treatment Decisions of Rising PSA PatientsMichael Diefenbach; Fiscal Year: 2009..On a theoretical level, the integration of findings will advance self-regulation theory and inform decision making and health behavior choice in general. ..
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research Network (ICCRN)Robert Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The Functions of Affect in Treatment Decisions of Rising PSA PatientsMichael Diefenbach; Fiscal Year: 2007..On a theoretical level, the integration of findings will advance self-regulation theory and inform decision making and health behavior choice in general. ..
- TREATMENT DECISION MAKING FOR EARLY PROSTATE CANCERMichael Diefenbach; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., misconception about the disease) and emotional factors (e.g., cancer worry) that might interfere with decision making. The efficacy and feasibility of the proposed intervention will be assessed in a randomized controlled trial. ..
- A Multimedia Prostate Cancer Intelligent Expert SystemMichael Diefenbach; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is expected that PIES will result in an increase in disease and treatment knowledge, high satisfaction ratings with the information provided, and that PIES will facilitate treatment decision making. ..