Genomes and Genes
Summary: A distention of the pelvis and calices of the kidney with urine, as a result of obstruction of the ureter, with accompanying atrophy of the parenchyma of the organ. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications292 found, 100 shown here
- Intermittent hydronephrosis secondary to ureteropelvic junction obstruction: clinical and imaging featuresJeng Daw Tsai
Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatrics 117:139-46. 2006We sought to assess the clinical and imaging findings in intermittent hydronephrosis secondary to ureteropelvic junction obstruction, with particular emphasis on the characteristic ultrasonographic findings.
- Neonatal hydronephrosis detected on routine health check-upH Miyakita
Department of Urology, Pediatric Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa, Japan
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 26:101-5. 2001..We analyzed the clinical course of patients found to have dilatation of the renal pelvis by ultrasound 1 month after birth, and compared prenatal and postnatal sonograms of each patient...
- Ablation of uroplakin III gene results in small urothelial plaques, urothelial leakage, and vesicoureteral refluxP Hu
Epithelial Biology Unit, The Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Cell Biol 151:961-72. 2000..features small plaques, becomes leaky, and has enlarged ureteral orifices resulting in the back flow of urine, hydronephrosis, and altered renal function indicators...
- Hydronephrosis associated with retroperitoneal fibrosis and sclerosing pancreatitisHideaki Hamano
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, 390 8621, Matsumoto, Japan
Lancet 359:1403-4. 2002..We treated 22 patients with sclerosing pancreatitis, and identified and followed-up three with concomitant hydronephrosis caused by ureteral mass, later diagnosed as retroperitoneal fibrosis...
- Mechanisms of renal injury and progression of renal disease in congenital obstructive nephropathyRobert L Chevalier
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 25:687-97. 2010..Advances will depend on new biomarkers to evaluate the severity of obstruction, to determine therapy, and to follow the evolution of lesions...
- Urinary cytokine profiles in unilateral congenital hydronephrosisKatarzyna Taranta-Janusz
Department of Pediatrics and Nephrology, Medical University of Białystok, 15 274 Białystok, Waszyngtona 17, Poland
Pediatr Nephrol 27:2107-13. 2012..osteopontin (OPN), and regulated upon activation, normal T-cell expressed and secreted (RANTES) chemokine as useful noninvasive markers in children with congenital hydronephrosis (HN) caused by ureteropelvic junction obstruction (UPJO).
- Preoperative hydronephrosis grade independently predicts worse pathological outcomes in patients undergoing nephroureterectomy for upper tract urothelial carcinomaYujiro Ito
Department of Urology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Urol 185:1621-6. 2011We analyzed the prognostic impact of hydronephrosis grade on disease specific survival and evaluated whether hydronephrosis grade could preoperatively predict worse pathological outcomes in cases of upper tract urothelial carcinoma ..
- Elevated bladder urine concentration of transforming growth factor-beta1 correlates with upper urinary tract obstruction in childrenP D Furness
Division of Pediatric Urology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Urol 162:1033-6. 1999..Measuring TGF-beta1 in a voided bladder urine sample may provide an objective and noninvasive test for assisting in the diagnosis of upper urinary tract obstruction...
- Preoperative hydronephrosis: independent predictor for changes in renal function following nephroureterectomyKatsura Hoshino
Department of Urology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 42:202-7. 2012..We investigated whether the status of preoperative hydronephrosis provides additional predictive information concerning changes in perioperative renal function.
- Pathogenesis of renal injury in the megabladder mouse: a genetic model of congenital obstructive nephropathySusan E Ingraham
Center for Molecular and Human Genetics, Sections of Nephrology, Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Pediatr Res 68:500-7. 2010..pathologic changes in kidney development that progressively worsen in direct correlation with the severity of hydronephrosis. The initiation and pattern of fibrotic development observed in mgb-/- kidneys appeared distinctive from ..
- Claudin-4 deficiency results in urothelial hyperplasia and lethal hydronephrosisHarumi Fujita
Department of Immunology and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e52272. 2012..We generated Cldn4(-/-) mice and found that these mice had increased mortality due to hydronephrosis of relatively late onset...
- Current management of antenatal hydronephrosisKleiton G R Yamaçake
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Hunnewell 353, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 28:237-43. 2013..b>Hydronephrosis is the most common urogenital anomaly detected, suggesting that an obstructive process may be potentially ..
- Antenatal hydronephrosis as a predictor of postnatal outcome: a meta-analysisRichard S Lee
Children s Hospital Boston, Department of Urology, 300 Longwood Ave, Hunn 390, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Pediatrics 118:586-93. 2006Antenatal hydronephrosis is diagnosed in 1% to 5% of all pregnancies; however, the antenatal and postnatal management of hydronephrosis varies widely...
- Short-term outcome of mild isolated antenatal hydronephrosis conservatively managedMaría Marcela Tombesi
Radiology Department, Hospital Interzonal General de Agudos Dr Jose Penna, Lainez y Necochea, Bahia Blanca, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Pediatr Urol 8:129-33. 2012To assess the outcome of newborns with mild isolated antenatal hydronephrosis (MIAHN) managed with neither antibiotic prophylaxis nor voiding cystourethrography (VCUG).
- Nonoperative management of neonatal moderate to severe bilateral hydronephrosisMinu Bajpai
Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Urol 167:662-5. 2002The natural history of prenatally diagnosed bilateral ureteropelvic junction hydronephrosis is unknown. No definite recommendations exist regarding management, and many authors recommend unilateral or bilateral pyeloplasty...
- Prenatal diagnosis and management of hydronephrosisJason A Pates
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Early Hum Dev 82:3-8. 2006Congenital hydronephrosis is frequently amenable to prenatal diagnosis, often as early as the second trimester...
- Antenatally detected hydronephrosisAmy Piepsz
Department of Radioisotopes, CHU St Pierre, Brussels, Belgium
Semin Nucl Med 37:249-60. 2007The strategy of management of children with hydronephrosis has considerably changed as a result of the development of ultrasound techniques, allowing a prenatal detection...
- Epidermal growth factor and monocyte chemotactic peptide-1: potential biomarkers of urinary tract obstruction in children with hydronephrosisMia Gebauer Madsen
Department of Urology, Pediatric Section, Aarhus University Hospital, Brendstrupgaardsvej 100, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark The Water and Salt Research Center, Department of Clinical Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark Electronic address
J Pediatr Urol 9:838-45. 2013b>Hydronephrosis is diagnosed in 0.5% of all newborns, and ureteropelvic junction obstruction (UPJO) is a common cause...
- Evaluation of hydronephrosis with tubeless cutaneous ureterostomy using Tc-99m MAG3 diuretic renographyChul Jang Kim
Department of Urology, Kohka Public Hospital, Kohka, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 34:666-9. 2009To assess hydronephrosis of tubeless cutaneous ureterostomy using Tc-99m mercaptoacetyltriglycine (MAG3) diuretic renogram.
- Imaging recommendations in paediatric uroradiology: minutes of the ESPR workgroup session on urinary tract infection, fetal hydronephrosis, urinary tract ultrasonography and voiding cystourethrography, Barcelona, Spain, June 2007Michael Riccabona
Department of Radiology, Division of Pediatric Radiology, University Hospital LKH Graz, Auenbruggerplatz, A 8036, Graz, Austria
Pediatr Radiol 38:138-45. 2008..imaging in urinary tract infection in infants and children, (2) postnatal imaging in mild-to-moderate neonatal hydronephrosis, (3) how to perform voiding cystourethrography, and (4) procedural recommendations for paediatric ..
- Outcome of isolated antenatal hydronephrosis: a prospective cohort studyGraziela M Coelho
Pediatric Nephrourology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital das Clinicas, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Pediatr Nephrol 22:1727-34. 2007The purpose of this study was to report the outcome of infants with antenatal hydronephrosis. Between May 1999 and June 2006, all patients diagnosed with isolated fetal renal pelvic dilatation (RPD) were prospectively followed...
- Hydronephrosis with diffuse or segmental cortical thinning: impact on renal functionH Sibai
Divisions of Urology and Nuclear Medicine, , Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Urol 165:2293-5. 2001PURPOSE: Management of hydronephrosis has changed considerably with the routine use of prenatal ultrasonography...
- Optimal timing of initial postnatal ultrasonography in newborns with prenatal hydronephrosisJohn S Wiener
Department of Surgery, Division of Urologic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Urol 168:1826-9; discussion 1829. 2002Conflicting data exist concerning optimal timing for initial postnatal ultrasound in newborns with prenatal hydronephrosis. To determine whether timing significantly affects the accuracy of postnatal ultrasound, we conducted a prospective ..
- Nonrefluxing neonatal hydronephrosis and the risk of urinary tract infectionJoo Hoon Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 179:1524-8. 2008The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between prenatally diagnosed nonrefluxing hydronephrosis and urinary tract infection.
- Prognostic significance of captopril renography for managing congenital unilateral hydronephrosisMinu Bajpai
Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Urol 168:2158-61; discussion 2161. 2002..of captopril enhanced diuretic renography in patients with congenital unilateral ureteropelvic junction type hydronephrosis. Captopril renography helps to distinguish patients who have renin-angiotensin system activation from those in ..
- Duodenal perforation and right hydronephrosis due to toothpick ingestionGiuseppe R Nigri
Department of Surgery, La Sapienza University of Rome, II School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
J Emerg Med 34:55-7. 2008..The peri-duodenal inflammatory reaction had encased the right ureter, resulting in hydronephrosis. The patient did well and was discharged on post-operative day 7. He did not recall toothpick ingestion...
- The magnitude of fetal renal pelvic dilatation can identify obstructive postnatal hydronephrosis, and direct postnatal evaluation and managementDouglas E Coplen
Division of Urology, and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 176:724-7; discussion 727. 2006..Up to 1% of prenatal ultrasounds will detect fetal renal pelvic dilatation. We sought to evaluate and determine whether fetal renal pelvic measurements may appropriately direct prenatal counseling and postnatal evaluation and management...
- Fetal hydronephrosis: is there hope for consensus?Sanna Toiviainen-Salo
Department of Medical Imaging, Hopital Ste Justine, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 34:519-29. 2004This review article aims at summarizing the data regarding fetal and neonatal hydronephrosis, at correlating controversial data with the differences in the practice of obstetrical sonography from one country to another, and finally, at ..
- Preoperative hydronephrosis, ureteroscopic biopsy grade and urinary cytology can improve prediction of advanced upper tract urothelial carcinomaJames C Brien
Division of Urology, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
J Urol 184:69-73. 2010We evaluated the value of hydronephrosis, ureteroscopic biopsy grade and urinary cytology to predict advanced upper tract urothelial carcinoma.
- Pediatric Vesicoureteral Reflux Guidelines Panel Summary Report: Clinical Practice Guidelines for Screening Siblings of Children With Vesicoureteral Reflux and Neonates/Infants With Prenatal HydronephrosisSteven J Skoog
Guidelines Department, American Urological Association, 1000 Corporate Blvd, Linthicum, Maryland 21090, USA
J Urol 184:1145-51. 2010..to screening of siblings and offspring of index patients with vesicoureteral reflux and infants with prenatal hydronephrosis. From this evidence clinical practice guidelines are developed to manage the clinical scenarios insofar as the ..
- Antenatal and postnatal ultrasound in the evaluation of the risk of vesicoureteral refluxSerge Grazioli
Department of Pediatric, Pediatric Nephrology Unit, University Hospital of Geneva, University of Geneva, 6 Willy Donzé Street, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Pediatr Nephrol 25:1687-92. 2010Antenatal hydronephrosis (ANH) is a frequent anomaly detected on fetal ultrasound scans...
- The valve bladder syndrome: 20 years laterK I Glassberg
Division of Pediatric Urology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
J Urol 166:1406-14. 2001..With great anticipation, we look forward to studies that will determine if growth factor inhibitors or angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors will have a role in preventing or reversing the histological changes of the valve bladder...
- Critical role of cyclooxygenase-2 activation in pathogenesis of hydronephrosis caused by lactational exposure of mice to dioxinNoriko Nishimura
Research Center for Environmental Risk, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Tsukuba 305 8506, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 231:374-83. 2008Congenital hydronephrosis is a serious disease occurring among infants and children...
- Renal artery embolization: a first line treatment option for end-stage hydronephrosisKakali Mitra
University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust, Newcastle under Lyme ST4 6QG, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:204-7. 2004..Conventionally poorly functioning hydronephrotic kidneys have been removed if they are symptomatic. In our unit, patients are offered renal artery embolization as an alternative treatment option...
- Prenatally diagnosed unilateral hydronephrosis: prognostic significance of plasma renin activityMinu Bajpai
Department of Pediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Urol 178:2580-4. 2007Controversy surrounds the optimal management of prenatally diagnosed hydronephrosis due to technical limitations in accurately quantifying the degree of obstruction at the ureteropelvic junction...
- Comparative study of conservative and surgical management for symptomatic moderate and severe hydronephrosis in pregnancy: a prospective randomized studyYieh Loong Tsai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:1047-50. 2007To analyze the role of different measures in the treatment of acute moderate or severe symptomatic hydronephrosis in pregnancy.
- The role of bladder urine transforming growth factor-beta1 concentrations in diagnosis and management of unilateral prenatal hydronephrosisFayez Almodhen
Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Urol 182:292-8; discussion 298. 2009We evaluated the relationship between bladder urine transforming growth factor-beta1 concentration and severity of hydronephrosis in newborns with unilateral prenatal hydronephrosis.
- Does the presence of hydronephrosis on preoperative axial CT imaging predict worse outcomes for patients undergoing nephroureterectomy for upper-tract urothelial carcinoma?Casey K Ng
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Urol Oncol 29:27-32. 2011b>Hydronephrosis at the time of diagnosis of bladder cancer is associated with advanced disease and is a predictor of poorer outcomes...
- Hydronephrosis index: a better physiological reference in antenatal ultrasound for assessment of fetal hydronephrosisVivian Yee Fong Leung
Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging Department, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Pediatr 154:116-20. 2009To establish a nomogram of fetal hydronephrosis index (HI) (anteroposterior diameter of renal pelvis divided by urinary bladder volume) at different gestational ages, to serve as a new reference for antenatal ultrasound examination, and ..
- Improvement of renal split function in hydronephrosis with less than 10 % functionM Wagner
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr Surg 18:156-9. 2008..However, recent studies with long-term follow-up indicate that even with an initial SF of < 10 %, a significant improvement of SF may be seen when pyeloplasty is performed so that nephrectomy may not be justified...
- Increased urinary N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase activity in children with hydronephrosisSylva Skalova
Department of Pediatrics, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
Int Braz J Urol 33:80-3; discussion 84-6. 2007b>Hydronephrosis leads to deterioration of renal function...
- Late recurrence of symptomatic hydronephrosis in patients with prenatally detected hydronephrosis and spontaneous improvementFutoshi Matsui
Department of Urology, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Osaka, Japan
J Urol 180:322-5; discussion 325. 2008Most prenatal hydronephrosis improves or resolves spontaneously with conservative treatment. However, late recurrence of prenatal hydronephrosis sometimes develops after improvement...
- Impact of the degree of hydronephrosis on the efficacy of in situ extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy for proximal ureteral calculiAhmed El-Assmy
Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Scand J Urol Nephrol 41:208-13. 2007We conducted a prospective randomized study to investigate the relation between the degree of stone-induced hydronephrosis and the outcome of extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy (ESWL) in patients with lumbar ureter stones.
- Successful renal transcatheter arterial embolization in three patients with symptomatic hydronephrosis due to ureteral obstructionYoshifumi Ubara
Nephrology Center, Toranomon Hospital, Kajigaya, Kawasaki
Intern Med 45:769-74. 2006..Conventional treatments for symptomatic enlargement of a nonfunctional hydronephrotic kidney caused by obstructive uropathy include surgical treatments...
- Urinary endothellin-1 level in children with pyelonephritis and hydronephrosisMostafa Sharifian
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 24:731-6. 2013b>Hydronephrosis is a common finding in patients with urinary tract infection (UTI). Endothellin-1 (ET-1) is a potent vasoactive peptide that has vasoconstrictive effects...
- Autonomic control of the heart is altered in Sprague-Dawley rats with spontaneous hydronephrosisAmy C Arnold
The Hypertension and Vascular Research Center, Wake Forest Univ School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1032, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H2206-13. 2011..b>Hydronephrosis is characterized by substantial loss of renal medullary tissue...
- Molecular pathology of murine ureteritis causing obstructive uropathy with hydronephrosisOsamu Ichii
Laboratory of Anatomy, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e27783. 2011Primary causes of urinary tract obstruction that induces urine retention and results in hydronephrosis include uroliths, inflammation, and tumors...
- Comparative evaluation of the resolution of hydronephrosis in children who underwent open and robotic-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplastyJoao A Barbosa
Department of Urology, Hunnewell 353, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Urol 9:199-205. 2013..To assess long-term postoperative ultrasonographic outcomes of robotic-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty (RALP) and of conventional open pyeloplasty (COP) in pediatric patients with ureteropelvic junction obstruction...
- Protein-losing enteropathy in a young African-American woman with abdominal pain, diarrhea and hydronephrosisM Gornisiewicz
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Lupus 10:835-40. 2001The case of a 21-year-old African-American woman who presented with abdominal pain, diarrhea and hydronephrosis and who proved to have protein-losing enteropathy secondary to systemic lupus erythematosus is discussed...
- High-grade hydronephrosis predicts poor outcomes after radical cystectomy in patients with bladder cancerDong Suk Kim
Department of Urology, Urological Science Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:369-73. 2010We examined whether the presence and severity of preoperative hydronephrosis have prognostic significance in patients who underwent radical cystectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder...
- Does hydronephrosis predict the presence of severe vesicoureteral reflux?Husam A Abdulnour
Pediatric Nephrology Division, College of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100296, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Eur J Pediatr 171:1605-10. 2012We hypothesized that, in patients with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) grade IV or V, hydronephrosis will likely be found, if the patient has a full bladder during the renal ultrasound examination...
- Critical role of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 in the hydronephrosis caused by lactational exposure to dioxin in miceWataru Yoshioka
Laboratory of Environmental Health Sciences, Center for Disease Biology and Integrative Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Toxicol Sci 127:547-54. 2012b>Hydronephrosis induced in the kidney of neonatal mice exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) via lactation is a sensitive and characteristic hallmark of TCDD teratogenicity...
- A rare case of intrinsic ureteral endometriosis causing hydronephrosis in a 40-year-old woman. A case report and literature reviewE Papakonstantinou
Department of Surgery, Evgenideion Hospital University of Athens, Greece
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 39:265-8. 2012..An individual therapy plan depending mainly on the patient's age, desire for children and the extent of the endometriotic foci should always be attempted. Collaboration between gynecologists and urologists was essential in our cases...
- MR diffusion-weighted imaging of kidney: differentiation between hydronephrosis and pyonephrosisJ H Chan
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tuen Mun Hospital, Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, N T, Hong Kong, China
Clin Imaging 25:110-3. 2001..and reliability of the magnetic resonance (MR) diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) in differentiation between hydronephrosis and pyonephrosis...
- The role of diuretic renography in the evaluation of obstructed hydronephrosis after pediatric pyeloplastyTa Min Wang
Department of Urology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan 333, R O C
Chang Gung Med J 27:344-50. 2004The purpose of this study was to clarify the value of renal drainage half-time in the evaluation of pediatric hydronephrosis after dismembered pyeloplasty.
- Supranormal differential renal function is real but may be pathological: assessment by 99m technetium mercaptoacetyltriglycine renal scan of congenital unilateral hydronephrosisS J Oh
Department of Urology, Office for Biostatistics Research, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center and College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 165:2300-4. 2001..6 months) with unilateral congenital hydronephrosis. A 99mtechnetium (Tc) mercaptoacetyltriglycine (MAG3) scan was performed, and regions of interest were drawn ..
- Transcriptional response in the unaffected kidney after contralateral hydronephrosis or nephrectomyPeter Hauser
Department of Nephrology, Medical University Vienna, Austria
Kidney Int 68:2497-507. 2005..Unilateral loss of kidney function is followed by compensatory contralateral growth. The early, genome-wide transcriptional response of the untouched kidney to unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) or unilateral nephrectomy is unknown...
- Prediction of the outcome of antenatally diagnosed hydronephrosis: a multivariable analysisMichelle Longpre
Department of Urologic Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Pediatr Urol 8:135-9. 2012The majority of cases of antenatal hydronephrosis (ANH) resolve postnatally. The purpose of this study was to determine independent predictors for resolution of ANH using a multivariable analysis model.
- Antenatal hydronephrosis and the risk of pyelonephritis hospitalization during the first year of lifeThomas J Walsh
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Urology 69:970-4. 2007To assess the risk of hospitalization for pyelonephritis within the first year of life among infants with and without antenatal hydronephrosis.
- Mild antenatal hydronephrosis: management controversiesLaura Alconcher
Pediatr Nephrol 19:819-20. 2004
- Renal tubular abnormalities in infants with hydronephrosisJ Chandar
Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Florida, USA
J Urol 155:660-3. 1996..MATERIALS AND METHODS: We studied 50 infants selected from 199 patients followed for hydronephrosis before any surgical intervention during a 5-year period. Mean patient age was 1.5 +/- 1...
- Natural history of bilateral mild isolated antenatal hydronephrosis conservatively managedLaura Fernanda Alconcher
Pediatric Nephrology Unit, Hospital Interzonal General de Agudos Dr Jose Penna, Bahia Blanca, Argentina
Pediatr Nephrol 27:1119-23. 2012The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence and outcome of newborns with bilateral mild isolated antenatal hydronephrosis managed with neither antibiotic prophylaxis nor voiding cystourethrography (VCUG).
- Mild hydronephrosis in newborns and infants: can ultrasound predict the presence of vesicoureteral refluxTeresa Berrocal
Division of Paediatric Radiology, Department of Radiology, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Paseo Castellana, 261, Madrid, 28046, Spain
Pediatr Nephrol 22:91-6. 2007The objective of our study was to determine the significance of mild hydronephrosis in newborns and infants as an indicator of vesicoureteral reflux (VUR)...
- Impact of stone size, location, composition, impaction, and hydronephrosis on the efficacy of holmium:YAG-laser ureterolithotripsyChristian Seitz
Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur Urol 52:1751-7. 2007..The impact and outcome of holmium:YAG-laser (Ho:YAG) ureterolithotripsy in treating proximal and distal ureteral stones was investigated...
- Ureteral endometriosis and loss of renal function: mechanisms and interpretationsAnton Langebrekke
Department of Gynecology, Oslo University Hospital Ullevål and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:1164-6. 2011..With only one functional kidney, these patients should be followed closely with renal function tests and ultrasound, and in certain cases also by magnetic resonance imaging or renal scintigraphy...
- The yield of early postnatal ultrasound scan in neonates with documented antenatal hydronephrosisAyala Maayan-Metzger
Department of Neonatology, Edmond and Lily Safra Children s Hospital, Chaim Sheba Medical Centre, Tel Hashomer, Affiliated with Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Am J Perinatol 28:613-8. 2011We retrospectively assessed the yield of early postnatal ultrasound scans in neonates with documented antenatal hydronephrosis. We reviewed recording data of prenatal renal ultrasound for 178 newborn infants and the results of renal ..
- Occult ureteropelvic junction obstruction presenting as anuria and urinary ascites in an infant with antenatal, unilateral hydronephrosisDaniel A Hirselj
Section on Urology, Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
J Pediatr Urol 5:405-7. 2009..To discuss an unusual case of occult ureteropelvic junction obstruction...
- Postnatal follow-up of antenatal hydronephrosis: a health-care challengeL Cordero
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1228, USA
J Perinatol 29:382-7. 2009..To examine our experience with ANH and to determine the success of our postnatal follow-up program...
- Unilateral hydronephrosis due to ureteropelvic junction obstruction in children: long term follow-upN Zampieri
Department of Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Surgical Unit, G B Rossi Polyclinic, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Minerva Urol Nefrol 61:325-9. 2009b>Hydronephrosis is one of the most common urological disease detected on prenatal ultrasound; The aim of this study was evaluate the role of long-term follow-up in patients with unilateral hydronephrosis.
- Vesicoureteral reflux and urinary tract infection in children with a history of prenatal hydronephrosis--should voiding cystourethrography be performed in cases of postnatally persistent grade II hydronephrosis?Carlos R Estrada
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Urol 181:801-6; discussion 806-7. 2009The clinical relevance of prenatal hydronephrosis is not well-defined...
- Left-right determination factor is down-regulated in fibrotic renal tissue of human hydronephrosisYi Yao
Oncology Center, Department of Urology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University and State Key Laboratory of Virology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
BJU Int 107:1002-8. 2011To compare the expressions of common fibrosis-relevant genes in hydronephrosis-induced fibrotic renal tissues and normal human renal tissues, thereby providing insights into the cellular and molecular mechanisms of renal fibrosis ..
- The long-term outcome of antenatal hydronephrosis up to 15 millimetres justifies a noninvasive postnatal follow-upE H M de Kort
Department of Pediatrics, Maxima Medical Centre, Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 97:708-13. 2008To assess the incidence of urinary tract infections (UTIs) and surgery in infants with different grades of antenatal hydronephrosis (ANH) and to evaluate incidence, severity and course of underlying vesicoureteral reflux (VUR).
- Is antibiotic prophylaxis necessary in infants with obstructive hydronephrosis?Seung Hun Song
Department of Urology, CHA General Hospital, College of Medicine, Pochon CHA University, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 177:1098-101; discussion 1101. 2007..the relationship between the level of obstruction of the upper urinary tract and the risk and onset of urinary tract infection in infants with severe obstructive hydronephrosis to determine the need for antibiotic prophylaxis.
- Urinary proteome analysis identifies infants but not older children requiring pyeloplastyJens Drube
Department of Pediatric Kidney, Liver and Metabolic Diseases, Children s Hospital, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Pediatr Nephrol 25:1673-8. 2010..Twenty-seven children (median age 0.4 years, range 0.1-8.8 years) with hydronephrosis who had been scheduled a nuclear diuretic renal scan (DR) to identify urodynamically relevant UPJO were ..
- Management of fetal hydronephrosisJenny Yiee
Urology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 23:347-53. 2008Prenatally detected hydronephrosis has become a common diagnosis for both pediatric nephrologists and urologists...
- Assessment and management of newborn hydronephrosisMarcus Riccabona
Department of Pediatric Urology, Krankenhaus Barmherzige Schwestern, Seilerstätte 4, 4010 Linz, Austria
World J Urol 22:73-8. 2004The incidence of asymptomatic hydronephrosis in newborns is high. Despite extensive clinical and scientific research much controversy still exists about the assessment and management of hydronephrosis during infancy...
- Impact of hydronephrosis on treatment outcome of solitary proximal ureteral stone after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsyHsi Lin Hsiao
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Municipal Min Sheng Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 24:507-13. 2008The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of hydronephrosis on the treatment outcome of patients with a solitary proximal ureteral stone after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)...
- Etio-pathogenic and morphological correlations in congenital hydronephrosisMădălina Boşoteanu
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ovidius University, Constanta, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 52:129-36. 2011b>Hydronephrosis, "distension in varying degrees of pelvis and calyces, accompanied by progressive atrophy of renal parenchyma due to obstruction in urinary flow", is an apparently simple reno-urinary disease, but, in reality, by ..
- Do infants with mild prenatal hydronephrosis benefit from screening for vesicoureteral reflux?Konrad M Szymanski
Division of Pediatric Urology, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Urol 188:576-81. 2012Screening for vesicoureteral reflux in asymptomatic infants with low grade hydronephrosis is unjustified if this condition is benign...
- Increased echogenicity as a predictor of poor renal function in children with grade 3 to 4 hydronephrosisThomas Chi
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Urol 175:1898-901. 2006Prenatally diagnosed hydronephrosis is a common finding that often requires further radiological evaluation to determine whether it is associated with compromised renal function...
- The predictive value of the first postnatal ultrasound in children with antenatal hydronephrosisCarlo C Passerotti
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Urol 7:128-36. 2011..of the first postnatal ultrasound (US) in predicting the final postnatal diagnosis using a database of children followed prospectively for antenatal hydronephrosis, and to compare these findings with a systematic review of the literature.
- Diuretic renography in hydronephrosis: delayed tissue tracer transit accompanies both functional decline and tissue reorganizationAndreas Schlotmann
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Nucl Med 49:1196-203. 2008..transit (TTT) of (99m)Tc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine ((99m)Tc-MAG3) has not been systematically evaluated in hydronephrosis. We sought to demonstrate that delayed TTT accompanies both functional decline and histomorphologic ..
- Abdominal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pseudocyst presented with inferior vena caval obstruction and hydronephrosisGilberto Ka Kit Leung
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Childs Nerv Syst 26:1243-5. 2010..A large pseudocyst may exert a significant pressure effect, but vascular or urological symptoms are extremely rare. We report an unusual case of a CSF pseudocyst causing inferior vena caval and ureteric obstruction...
- Antenatal hydronephrosis: infants with minor postnatal dilatation do not need prophylaxisKarl Johan Lidefelt
Department of Paediatrics, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Nephrol 23:2021-4. 2008..All four developed UTI. We conclude that UTI is uncommon in infants with two normal postnatal US examinations. Routine use of antibacterial prophylaxis in these infants therefore cannot be recommended...
- Renal colic in pregnancy: lithiasis or physiological hydronephrosis?Matei Andreoiu
Department of Urology, Indiana University, 535 N Barnhill Dr, Suite 420 Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Urology 74:757-61. 2009..the reliability and accuracy of diagnostic investigations in differentiating urinary calculi from physiological hydronephrosis as the cause of renal colic. The appropriateness and efficacy of the treatments used were was also examined.
- Natural history of fetal hydronephrosis diagnosed on mid-trimester ultrasoundS Sairam
Feto-Maternal Medicine Unit, Homerton Hospital, Academic Unit of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 17:191-6. 2001..The aim of this study was to evaluate the natural history and postnatal outcome of fetal hydronephrosis in an unselected obstetric population...
- Prognostic factors in fetal hydronephrosis: a multivariate analysisE A Oliveira
Pediatric Nephrourology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital das Clinicas, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Pediatr Nephrol 13:859-64. 1999With the increasing use of obstetric echography fetal hydronephrosis has been reported more frequently...
- Value of supranormal function and renogram patterns on 99mTc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine scintigraphy in relation to the extent of hydronephrosis for predicting ureteropelvic junction obstruction in the newbornDae Hyuk Moon
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Nucl Med 44:725-31. 2003..the value of supranormal function and renogram patterns on (99m)Tc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine ((99m)Tc-MAG3) scintigraphy in relation to the extent of hydronephrosis for predicting ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction in the newborn.
- Doppler sonographic renal resistance index and resistance index ratio in children and adolescents with unilateral hydronephrosisBoris Brkljacic
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Dubrava, Av G Suska 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Eur Radiol 12:2747-51. 2002..renal resistance index (RI) and RI ratio (RIR) in differentiating between obstructive and nonobstructive hydronephrosis in children and adolescents...
- Congenital hydronephrosis: prenatal diagnosis and epidemiology in EuropeEster Garne
Paediatric Department, Kolding Hospital, Kolding, Denmark
J Pediatr Urol 5:47-52. 2009To describe prevalence, prenatal diagnosis and epidemiology of congenital hydronephrosis (CH) in Europe.
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy in the treatment of proximal ureteral stones: Does the presence and degree of hydronephrosis affect success?Christian Seitz
Department of Urology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur Urol 49:378-83. 2006We investigated the relation between the presence and degree of stone induced hydronephrosis and the outcome of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (SWL) in patients with solitary proximal ureteral stones.
- Hydronephrosis does not preclude curative resection of pelvic recurrences after colorectal surgeryLeonard R Henry
Department of Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 12:786-92. 2005..These extensive resections can carry high morbidity. Proper patient selection is desirable but difficult. Hydronephrosis has been documented previously to portend a poor prognosis, and some consider it a contraindication to ..
- End cutaneous ureterostomy for the management of severe hydronephrosisDavid M Kitchens
Division of Pediatric Urology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Urol 177:1501-4. 2007..We present our experience and outcomes with end cutaneous ureterostomy as a temporizing adjunct to future ureteral reimplantation...
- Mature cystic renal teratoma in a 25-year-old woman with ipsilateral hydronephrosis, urinary tract infection and spontaneous abortionM A Nzegwu
Department of Morbid Anatomy, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 16:300-2. 2007..We report a case in which benign cystic renal teratoma was associated with ipsilateral hydronephrosis, urinary tract infection and spontaneous abortion, with histological confirmation in a 25-year-old woman.
- Surgical management of inferior vena cava strut penetration causing hydronephrosis: case reportArunkumar Baskara
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, General Surgery, Darby, PA, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 44:491-3. 2010..vena cava (IVC) by primary struts of Cook Celect filter and impingement on right ureter, causing symptomatic hydronephrosis and hydroureter, which was managed surgically by ureterolysis, mobilization of the ureter by retroperitoneal ..
- Giant hydronephrosis due to ureteropelvic junction obstruction in a child: CT and MR appearancesErkan Yilmaz
Department of Radiology, Dokuz Eylul University Hospital, Inciralti, 35340, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Imaging 26:125-8. 2002Giant hydronephrosis caused by congenital ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction is a rare urological entity in childhood. We report a case of giant hydronephrosis in a 12-year-old boy presented with abdominal distension...
- Intraperitoneal rupture of giant hydronephrosis due to ureteral cancer accompanied by renal cell carcinomaMizuya Fukasawa
Department of Urology, Shimoina Red Cross Hospital, Shimoina, Japan
J Urol 167:1393-4. 2002
- Keyhole sign: how specific is it for the diagnosis of posterior urethral valves?L S Bernardes
Maternité, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, AP HP, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 34:419-23. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the predictive value of different ultrasound criteria currently used to diagnose PUV...
- Obstructive uropathy as the only manifestation of flare in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus and anti-phospholipid syndromeS Asia
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Hospital Nacional de Clinicas, Cordoba, Argentina
Lupus 17:46-9. 2008..Obstructive uropathy and renal insufficiency initially improved with immunosuppressive treatment and endoureteral protheses, but poor compliance to the therapy led to ominous ending...
- Animal models of fetal renal diseaseC A Peters
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Prenat Diagn 21:917-23. 2001..Continued application of fetal models of urinary obstruction, integrating large animal and knockout systems offers promise for improved diagnosis and treatment in these challenging conditions...
- Early release of neonatal ureteral obstruction preserves renal functionYimin Shi
The Water and Salt Research Center, Institute of Experimental Clinical Research, Aarhus Univ Hospital Skejby, DK 8200 Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F1087-99. 2004The incidence of congenital hydronephrosis is approximately 1% and is often associated with renal insufficiency. It is unknown whether early release is essential to prevent deterioration of renal function...
- Mouse models of genomic instability and birth defectsCATHERINE ELIZABETH KEEGAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..in acd mutant embryos consist of truncation of the posterior body axis, vertebral segmentation defects, hydronephrosis, and limb anomalies, resembling common malformations observed in humans with caudal regression syndrome (CRS) ..
- Molecular and Cellular Regulation of Mammalian Renal Medulla DevelopmentJing Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Renal medulla atrophy is a prominent symptom of hydronephrosis, a common condition occurs in approximately 1 in 100 people and a consequence of acute and chronic urinary ..
- Genetic Analysis of Etv4/Etv5 Transcription Factors and Kidney DevelopmentFRANKLIN D COSTANTINI; Fiscal Year: 2013..lead to abnormalities such as renal agenesis, hypoplasia and reduced nephron number, obstruction, hydroureter/hydronephrosis and vesicoureteral reflux, conditions associated with chronic renal disease...
- DLGH1 AND UROGENITAL DEVELOPMENTWOJCIECH A SWAT; Fiscal Year: 2012..studied mice lacking DLGH1 and found several urogenital defects, including sporadic renal agenesis, congenital hydronephrosis, and reproductive tract abnormalities...
- Murine slow onset outlet obstruction as a model of human voiding dysfunctionRonald W Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..tract symptoms (LUTS), decreased flow, prolonged voiding, detrusor instability (Dl), nocturia, retention, and hydronephrosis. Preclinical models mimic this by suddenly tightening a ligature around the urethra, resulting in onset of Dl ..
- Urogenital System Development: The Acquisition of Coordinated Ureter PeristalsisDoris A Herzlinger; Fiscal Year: 2013..on our preliminary data demonstrating that mice harboring a constitutively active C-kit allele develop fetal hydronephrosis. We will determine if this defect due to C-kit gain-of-function is caused by a structural occlusion of the OT ..
- Early Validation of Urinary Biomarkers of Renal ObstructionRICHARD SANG YONG LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Renal obstruction always results in hydronephrosis, or dilation of the kidney;however, hydronephrosis does not always indicate clinically significant obstruction...
- Murine Atlas of Genitourinary DevelopmentMelissa Little; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such defects can vary from severe (persistent cloaca, cystic kidney disease, hydronephrosis, diphallia) to more moderate (hypospadias, streak gonads, horseshoe kidney, micropenis, crytorchidism, ..
- Myosin Isoforms in Urinary Bladder FunctionMuthu Periasamy; Fiscal Year: 2010..mice survive up to one month, but die of renal failure and also exhibit severe urinary bladder distension and hydronephrosis. Our hypothesis is that regulated expression of SM1/SM2 isoforms in the bladder body and urethra is critical ..
- Regulation of Bladder Smooth Muscle HyperplasiaPaul Austin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The poor compliance may lead to vesicoureteral reflux, hydronephrosis, and, ultimately, renal failure...
- Characterization of the urofacial syndrome geneCong Yi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The patients have enuresis, urinary tract infection, hydronephrosis and voiding dysfunction as a result of a neurogenic bladder...
- Calcineurin in Congenital NephropathyFeng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The affected mice have hydronephrosis and hydroureter and die from postnatal renal failure...
- URINARY SCHISTOSOMIASIS: INFECTION AND DISEASECharles King; Fiscal Year: 2004..of reduced infection intensity and reduced acute morbidity among schoolchildren, but the development of hydronephrosis among many in adulthood...
- ROLE OF LEUKOCYTES IN OBSTRUCTIVE NEPHROPATHYSaulo Klahr; Fiscal Year: 1992..Urinary tract obstruction is a frequent cause of interstitial nephritis in humans. Experimental hydronephrosis is also associated with an increased number of cells in the renal cortical interstitium...
- Fox genes in urinary tract developmentTsutomu Kume; Fiscal Year: 2005..of smooth muscle around the ureter, leads to urinary tract abnormalities such as hydroureter and hydronephrosis. Foxc1 and Foxc2 encode forkhead/Fox transcription factors with virtually identical DNA binding domains and ..
- CORTICAL OSTEOPONTIN EXPRESSION IN HYDRONEPHROSISRUSSELL SCADUTO; Fiscal Year: 2002..in the expression and macrophage attraction, effects of osteopontin using an in vivo rat model of experimental hydronephrosis, and an osteopontin knockout mouse model...
- Molecular Analyses of Two Mouse Kidney Disease ModelsMuriel Davisson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Based on conserved homology, bpck will likely indicate a new human polycystic kidney disease gene. Variable hydronephrosis (vhn) is a recessive mutation caused by one of the breakpoints of a reciprocal translocation...
- Ureteral Obstruction: TGF-B & NO in Function & ApoptosisDiane Felsen; Fiscal Year: 2004Unilateral ureteral obstruction [UUO] with subsequent hydronephrosis is a common clinical occurrence. It affects both men and women and occurs in approximately 1 percent of the pediatric population...
- TGF-beta superfamily in neonatal obstructive nephropathy and recoveryRobert L Chevalier; Fiscal Year: 2010..A new animal (mouse) model is proposed to study the major cellular mechanisms for injury to the newborn kidney, as well as to evaluate new therapies to enhance recovery. ..
- Intercellular Signaling in Obstructive NephropathyROBERT CHEVALIER; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will lead to improved outcomes in adulthood. ..
- GENES CAUSING SPONTANEOUS OBESITYCraig Warden; Fiscal Year: 2002..They have already found that spretus and B6 UCP2 differ for 2 amino acids, so uncoupling activity of UCP2 from these strains will be examined. ..
- Positional cloning of obesity genes from congenic miceCraig H Warden; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long term outcome is that we will identify at least one novel and strong and plausible obesity gene. ..
- MECHANISM OF ESTROGENICITY OF DDT ANALOGS IN MCG-7 CELLSFumio Matsumura; Fiscal Year: 2001..The PI finally will address the fundamental question of whether c-Neu activation serves as a major gateway in addition to the estrogen receptor for xenobiotics to cause truly estrogenic cellular responses or not. ..
- FATE OF BF 2 EXPRESSING RENAL PROGENITORSDoris Herzlinger; Fiscal Year: 2005..Data generated will provide the basis for future studies on the origin of activated stromal cells in the diseased kidney and their role in nephron degeneration and/or repair. ..
- Bladder-specific Knockout and Gene ExpressionXue ru Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will generate powerful experimental tools for studying bladder biology and diseases and offer molecular insights regarding urothelial growth and tumorigenesis. ..
- Excellence in Cardiovascular Sciences Summer ResearchDebra Diz; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, all students regarded the experience as a positive influence on their career and 76% of those who responded said they plan to pursue some aspect of biomedical research as a career. ..
- IMMUNE PROTECTION AGAINST MNU-INDUCTED DIGITAL DEFECTSMARY PRATER; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research under the guidance of Drs. Steven Holladay and Eric Wong at Virginia Tech...
- Co-regulatory Model of Smooth Muscle MyogenesisKirk McHugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Antioxidants and Development of Diabetic NephropathySHARON INMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of these studies is to establish better therapies that may include antioxidant therapy, to prevent the long term complications of diabetes, including nephropathy. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multianalyte Assays for Cardiovascular DiseaseDebra Diz; Fiscal Year: 2005..As such the peptide and protein applications developed in this proposal will be ideal for widespread use. ..
- ATP-Sensitive K Channels in Renal Proximal TubuleAlan Segal; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VEGF regulation of surfactant proteins in preventing RSVDAVID MEYERHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Tacrolimus and Plasmapheresis in Treatment-Resistant FSGSTej Mattoo; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study will offer new treatment options in such patients and save many from the pain and the distress of undergoing dialysis and renal transplantation. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Genetic Model of Urogenital Development & ObstructionKirk McHugh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Completion of these studies will significantly enhance our understanding of normal bladder development and pathogenesis, and permit the formulation and evaluation of therapeutic strategies in the future. ..
- RAPID ISOLATION OF DIET-RESPONSIVE OBESITY GENESCraig Warden; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that this study offers the opportunity to identify a gene causing maternal effects on obesity, as well as three other obesity genes, by using well characterized congenic mouse strains. ..
- Calcineurin in Congenital Urinary Tract ObstructionFeng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from the proposed studies will provide mechanistic insights into the function of calcineurin in normal and abnormal development of the urinary tract and the etiology of congenital obstructive nephropathy. ..