Summary: An abnormal anatomical passage between the BLADDER and the VAGINA.
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Obstetric fistula in developing countries: a review articleMulu Muleta
Obstetrician Gynecologist, Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Addis, Ababa Ethiopia
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 28:962-6. 2006..Although prevention should be the ultimate goal, the need for curative care services for the sufferers is shown to be significant...
- The obstetric vesicovaginal fistula in the developing worldL L Wall
Obstet Gynecol Surv 60:S3-S51. 2005
- Risk factors for obstetric fistulae in north-eastern NigeriaG S Melah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre Gombe, Gombe, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 27:819-23. 2007..In a male dominated society, reaching out to men with traditionally palatable messages that will change their attitude and practices to taking responsibility in reproductive health could be a winning strategy...
- Obstetric fistula in rural EthiopiaM Muleta
Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, P O Box 3609, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
East Afr Med J 84:525-33. 2007..To determine the prevalence of obstetric fistula in rural Ethiopia and identify the circumstances and barriers to care that enhance development of obstetric fistula and its health and social consequences...
- Predictors and outcome of surgical repair of obstetric fistula at a regional referral hospital, Mbarara, western UgandaMusa Kayondo
Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Faculty of Medicine, P O Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda
BMC Urol 11:23. 2011..It occurs in areas where access to care at childbirth is limited, or of poor quality and where few hospitals offer the necessary corrective surgery...
- Experiences of women seeking medical care for obstetric fistula in Eritrea: implications for prevention, treatment, and social reintegrationJanet Molzan Turan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Glob Public Health 2:64-77. 2007....
- The obstetric vesicovaginal fistula: characteristics of 899 patients from Jos, NigeriaL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1011-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to describe the characteristics of women with obstetric vesicovaginal fistulas at a hospital in north central Nigeria...
- Health and social problems encountered by treated and untreated obstetric fistula patients in rural EthiopiaMulu Muleta
Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 30:44-50. 2008..To assess health, social, and psychological problems encountered by women with treated and untreated obstetric fistula (OF)...
- Vesicovaginal fistula: do the patients know the cause?M A Hassan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 8:122-6. 2009So much has been written on vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) but there is little on the patients' perspective of the condition...
- Prevalence of obstetric fistula in MalawiLinda V Kalilani-Phiri
Center for Reproductive Health, College of Medicine, Blantyre, Malawi
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 109:204-8. 2010..To estimate the prevalence of obstetric fistula in Malawi and explore the potential risk factors for developing the condition...
- Vesicovaginal fistula and mesh erosion after Perigee (transobturator polypropylene mesh anterior repair)Brian S Yamada
Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Urology 68:1121.e5-7. 2006..We report the case of a 57-year-old woman who developed a vesicovaginal fistula with erosion of the mesh into the bladder and vagina after Perigee transobturator, polypropylene mesh ..
- Obstetric fistulae: a study of women managed at the Monze Mission Hospital, ZambiaA Holme
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
BJOG 114:1010-7. 2007..The objective of this study was to describe and compare characteristics of women with obstetric fistula...
- Depression among women with obstetric fistula in KenyaKhisa Weston
African Medical and Research Foundation, Nairobi, Kenya
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 115:31-3. 2011..To establish the prevalence of depression and describe associated factors among fistula patients attending an obstetric fistula surgical camp in Kenya...
- Obstetric fistula in 14,928 Ethiopian womenMulu Muleta
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:945-51. 2010..Here, we characterize women with obstetric fistula, test the hypothesis that primi- and multipara represent different profiles and that fetal size is an important factor in developing fistula...
- Obstetric urogenital fistula: the Ilorin experience, NigeriaM A Ijaiya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 23:7-9. 2004..Labour should be supervised by trained health personnel and difficult labour referred early to appropriate health care facility...
- Commonalities among women who experienced vesicovaginal fistulae as a result of obstetric trauma in Niger: results from a survey given at the National Hospital Fistula Center, Niamey, NigerLarissa Meyer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:90.e1-4. 2007..This is an exploratory analysis to investigate possible contributing factors to the development of vesicovaginal fistulae...
- The impact of surgical treatment on the mental health of women with obstetric fistulaA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Centre, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
BJOG 114:1439-41. 2007..We conclude that surgical treatment of obstetric fistula results in marked improvements in mental heath...
- Perceived causes of obstetric fistulae from rural southern TanzaniaM R Kazaura
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Afr Health Sci 11:377-82. 2011..While the main cause of OF is prolonged obstructed labour without prompt medical attention, misconceptions about OF exist...
- An investigation of sociomedical risk factors associated with vaginal fistula in northern NigeriaD Ojanuga Onolemhemhen
School of Social Work at Wayne State University, USA
Women Health 28:103-16. 1999..Predictive variables for the condition are: age at marriage, parity, husband's occupation and level of education...
- The fistula crisis in sub-Saharan Africa: an ongoing struggle in education and awarenessLinda Narcisi
Athena Women s Medical Center, Turnersville, NJ, USA
Urol Nurs 30:341-6. 2010..Preventative strategies are addressed using Niger as a microcosm for this devastating condition that affects two million women worldwide...
- The epidemiology of genitourinary fistulae in Kumasi, Ghana, 1977-1992K A Danso
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Science and Technology School of Medical Sciences, Kumasi, Ghana
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:117-20. 1996..Birth attendants should be aware of that fact. Prompt referral for obstetric intervention should be made in obstructed labor, irrespective of the age and parity of the patient...
- The immediate management of fresh obstetric fistulasKees Waaldijk
Babbar Ruga Fistula Hospital, Katsina, Nigeria
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:795-9. 2004..In a prospective way an immediate management was studied and antibiotics were not used, all according to basic surgical principles...
- Characterization of colorectal symptoms in women with vesicovaginal fistulasAnna C Kirby
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 116:64-6. 2012To characterize colorectal symptoms in women with a history of an obstetric vesicovaginal fistula (VVF).
- Outreach programmes for obstetric fistulaeJ Kelly
Women s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 24:117-8. 2004
- Vesicovaginal fistula: obstetric causesSuran Ramphal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and MRC UKZN Pregnancy Hypertension Research Unit, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 18:147-51. 2006..This article reviews recent literature and highlights the paucity of evidence-based data...
- Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery extravesical repair of vesicovaginal fistula: early experienceAly M Abdel-Karim
Department of Urology, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
Urology 78:567-71. 2011To describe for the first time the technique of laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) for repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF)...
- Surgical outcome of obstetric fistula: a retrospective analysis of 595 patientsSolbjørg Sjøveian
Section for International Health, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:753-60. 2011..The aim of the study was to investigate obstetric fistula in terms of patient demographics, fistula characteristics and predictors of surgical outcome...
- Genitourinary and rectovaginal fistulae in Adigrat Zonal Hospital, Tigray, north EthiopiaAmanuel Gessessew
Adigrat Zonal Hospital, P O Box 27, Adigrat, Tigray, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 41:123-30. 2003..Out of the remaining 193 cases, 95.3% were due to obstetric etiology. One hundred sixty six (86%) had vesicovaginal fistula, 16 (8.3%) both vesico vaginal fistula and rectovaginal fistula, 9 (4...
- Ten-year experience with transvaginal vesicovaginal fistula repair using tissue interpositionKaryn Schlunt Eilber
Department of Urology, Memorail Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 169:1033-6. 2003The success rate of vesicovaginal fistula repair is improved by tissue interposition. The Martius flap produces reliable results but it has increased morbidity...
- Surgical management of complex obstetric fistula in EritreaAmreen Husain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5317, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 14:839-44. 2005..To evaluate the incidence of and demographic characteristics associated with obstetric fistula in Eritrea. To determine the outcomes of surgical repair of complex fistula in Eritrea by a visiting surgical team...
- Vesico-vaginal fistula: interposition flap, a key to successArshad Mehmood
Armed Forces Institute of Urology, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 21:29-31. 2009..This is a Descriptive Study, conducted at Armed Forces Institute of Urology, Rawalpindi and Combined Military Hospital, Kharian between May 2001 and May 2007...
- Obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas at the National Hospital of Niamey, NigerI Nafiou
University of Niamey, Niamey, Niger
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S71-4. 2007..To determine the epidemiologic and therapeutic characteristics of obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas at the National Hospital of Niamey, Niger...
- Prolonged obstructed labor causing a severe obstetric fistula: a case reportAllison N Korell
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women s Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
J Reprod Med 52:555-6. 2007..Severe obstructed labor with a pelvic fistula is associated with significant fetal and maternal morbidity and mortality. It is rare in the developed world due to access to health care and availability of cesarean section for labor dystocia...
- Vesicovaginal fistula: a major healthcare problemDirk De Ridder
Department of Urology, University Hospitals K U Leuven, Herestraat, Leuven, Belgium
Curr Opin Urol 19:358-61. 2009The aim of this study is to summarize the recent data on vesicovaginal fistula in the developing world...
- Obstetric vesicovaginal fistula as an international public-health problemL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Lancet 368:1201-9. 2006b>Vesicovaginal fistula is a devastating injury in which an abnormal opening forms between a woman's bladder and vagina, resulting in urinary incontinence...
- The circumferential obstetric fistula: characteristics, management and outcomesA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Centre, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
BJOG 114:1172-6. 2007Obstetric vesicovaginal fistula is a tragic injury that is widespread in any country where access to emergency obstetric care is limited...
- Transmural vaginal-to-bladder injury from an obstructed labor patternArielle M Allen
Division of Urogynecology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Obstet Gynecol 117:468-70. 2011A vesicovaginal fistula, among other devastating sequelae, is a complication that can arise from obstetric trauma such as prolonged obstructed labor patterns...
- A review of clinical pattern and outcome of vesicovaginal fistulaAjenifuja Kayode Olusegun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 101:593-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence, sociodemographic parameters, and outcome of surgical repairs of obstetric fistula in our center...
- Duration of bladder catheterization after surgery for obstetric fistulaRahel Nardos
Bahir Dar Hamlin Fistula Center, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 103:30-2. 2008..To compare the surgical outcome at discharge and at 6-months follow up in patients who underwent repair of obstetric fistulae with postoperative bladder catheterization for 10, 12, or 14 days...
- Fitsari 'dan Duniya. An African (Hausa) praise song about vesicovaginal fistulasL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Obstet Gynecol 100:1328-32. 2002The vesicovaginal fistula from prolonged obstructed labor is a condition that is no longer seen in the affluent, industrialized world, yet it continues to exist in epidemic proportions in sub-Saharan Africa, where several million women ..
- [Vesicovaginal fistula]V Ramos Gutiérrez
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario de Canarias, La Laguna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 55:1144-51. 2002To review the etiology, diagnosis and available therapeutic options for vesicovaginal fistula.
- Prevention of residual urinary incontinence following successful repair of obstetric vesico-vaginal fistula using a fibro-muscular slingAndrew Browning
Fistula Hospital, P O Box 3609, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BJOG 111:357-61. 2004..This article describes a new and simple surgical procedure, which, when employed at the time of fistula closure, seems to reduce the incidence of residual incontinence in those women at a higher risk of developing it...
- Risk factors for developing residual urinary incontinence after obstetric fistula repairA Browning
Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BJOG 113:482-5. 2006Obstetric vesicovaginal fistula is a devastating cause of urinary incontinence worldwide...
- Obstetric fistula admissions at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi, GhanaK A Danso
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana kadanso1443 yahoo com
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S69-70. 2007
- Socio-demographic profile and obstetric experience of fistula patients managed at the Addis Ababa Fistula HospitalMulu Muleta
Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 42:9-16. 2004..Community organized fund and maternity waiting areas for young and short expecting mothers are among other recommendations to be considered...
- Women with obstetric fistula in Ethiopia: a 6-month follow up after surgical treatmentA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Centre, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
BJOG 115:1564-9. 2008..To quantify surgical and quality of life outcomes 6 months after obstetric fistula repair...
- Vesicovaginal fistula formation in patients with Stage IVA cervical carcinomaKathleen N Moore
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 920 SL Young Blvd, WP 2470, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Gynecol Oncol 106:498-501. 2007To evaluate the rate of vesicovaginal fistula formation and mortality in women with Stage IVA cervical carcinoma.
- Dead women walking: neglected millions with obstetric fistulaS Ahmed
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S1-3. 2007
- Vesicovaginal fistula with bladder eversion: a rare complication of third degree cervical descentSudipta Banerjee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Government Medical College and Hospital, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 28:160-1. 2006
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaPranjal Modi
Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Ahmedabad, India
Urol Int 76:374-6. 2006b>Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) may be a complication of prolonged repair or urogynecologic surgery. Failing conservative management, it may be repaired using an abdominal or vaginal approach...
- Early laparoscopic repair for supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistulaH K Nagraj
Department of Urology, M S Ramaiah Memorial Hospitals, Bangalore, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:759-62. 2007Laparoscopic repair of supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistula is less morbid and equally effective compared to open repair. This approach is advisable when transvaginal repair is difficult.
- Prognostic factors of recurrence after vesicovaginal fistula repairMohsen Ayed
Department of Urology, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Int J Urol 13:345-9. 2006We evaluate the prognostic factors of recurrence in patients after the surgical repair of vesicovaginal fistula.
- Pregnancy in an untreated case of transverse vaginal septum with vesicovaginal fistulaN Srinath
Department of Urology, Command Hospital EC, Alipore, Calcutta 700027, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:583-5. 2007..She was found to have transverse vaginal septum in the lower one-third of her vagina with congenital vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) and a dead fetus of approximately 20 weeks gestation...
- A decade's experience with vesicovaginal fistula in IndiaNeeraj K Goyal
Department of Urology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 221 005, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:39-42. 2007..All complicated fistulae should be repaired with tissue interposition or tissue graft. This is the first study from India compiling 10 years of experience on vesicovaginal fistula.
- The classification of obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas: a call for an evidence-based approachS D Arrowsmith
Rehoboth McKinley Christian Healthcare Services, 1900 Redrock Dr, Gallup, NM 87301, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S25-7. 2007..Once available, an outcome-based classification system could be vital in selecting fistula cases appropriate for training surgeons, and in improving communication with patients...
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaRodrigo Artur Pereira Otsuka
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Brazil
J Endourol 22:525-7. 2008b>Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is one of the most devastating surgical complications that can occur in women. The primary cause remains an abdominal hysterectomy. Approach to this condition can be transvaginal or transabdominal...
- Congenital vesicovaginal fistula with transverse vaginal septum and ectopic ureter opening in proximal vagina: case report and brief reviewSantosh Kumar
Department of Urology, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:959-61. 2007Congenital vesicovaginal fistula is an extreme rarity. We report on a case of a 22-year-old lady who presented with menouria and infertility...
- Robotic repair of vesicovaginal fistula: case series of five patientsBala M Sundaram
Department of Urology, Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Urology 67:970-3. 2006To describe a technique of robotic repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) and present our experience with 5 such patients.
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaRene Sotelo
Section of Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Urology, La Floresta Medical Institute, Caracas, Venezuela
J Urol 173:1615-8. 2005b>Vesicovaginal fistula may be a complication of urogynecologic surgery. We describe the technique of laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula as performed at our 2 institutions.
- Interposition flaps in transabdominal vesicovaginal fistula repairs: are they really necessary?D H Evans
Department of Urology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Urology 57:670-4. 2001..We recommend interposition flaps in transabdominal repairs of VVFs, even in the cases of benign fistulas with well-preserved surrounding tissue...
- Pediatric tuberculous vesicovaginal fistulaApul Goel
Department of Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University, Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow, India
J Urol 171:389-90. 2004
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula and right nephrectomy for nonfunctioning kidney in a single sessionG Nabi
Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
J Endourol 15:801-3. 2001We report a case of failed vesicovaginal fistula repair and nonfunctioning right kidney, which was managed by laparoscopic nephrectomy and fistula repair with omental interposition in a single session.
- Laparoscopic management of recurrent vesicovaginal fistulaJ R Miklos
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 10:116-7. 1999b>Vesicovaginal fistula repair is most commonly undertaken via a transvaginal approach. We report a recurrent case of vesicovaginal fistula which was ultimately repaired using a laparoscopic approach...
- Sexual trauma--an unusual cause of a vesicovaginal fistulaKallol K Roy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 101:89-90. 2002A 20-year-old nullipara presented with a post-coital vesicovaginal fistula in the trigone of the bladder. She had normal genital development and no other cause was found. The fistula was repaired by vaginal route.
- Free bladder mucosal autograft in the treatment of complicated vesicovaginal fistulaF Sharifi-Aghdas
Urology Nephrology Research Center, Labbafi Nejad Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Boostan 9st Pasdaran Avenue, Tehran, Iran
BJU Int 89:54-6. 2002To describe an effective and simple method for repairing complicated vesicovaginal fistula using a free bladder mucosal autograft.
- Vesicovaginal fistula treated with fibrin glueY Kanaoka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka City University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 73:147-9. 2001We report here a case of vesicovaginal fistula, following radiation therapy and intensive local chemotherapy for recurrent endometrial cancer of the vaginal stump, which was ameliorated with fibrin glue...
- Guidelines of how to manage vesicovaginal fistulaRoberto Angioli
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rome Campus Biomedico, Via Longoni 69, 00155 Rome, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 48:295-304. 2003..The risk of developing vesicovaginal fistula is more than 1% after radical surgery and radiotherapy for gynecologic malignancies...
- Vesicovaginal fistulaH Roger Hadley
Division of Urology, Loma Linda University, 11234 Anderson Street, Room A560, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Curr Urol Rep 3:401-7. 2002The most common cause of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) in North America is injury to the bladder during a hysterectomy. In underdeveloped countries, childbirth is the leading etiology of these fistulae...
- Laparoscopic vesicovaginal fistula repair with robotic reconstructionO Melamud
Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, California 92868, USA
Urology 65:163-6. 2005To describe, to our knowledge, the first case report of robotic-assisted laparoscopic repair of a vesicovaginal fistula. A 44-year-old woman presented with a vesicovaginal fistula after vaginal hysterectomy...
- Congenital vesicovaginal fistula in association with hypoplastic kidney and uterus didelphysLucia M Dolan
Urogynaecology Unit, Directorate of Women s Services, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Urology 63:175-7. 2004Abnormalities of the lower urinary and genital tracts commonly coexist, although congenital vesicovaginal fistula is extremely rare...
- [Current profile of obstetrical vesicovaginal fistulas at the maternity unit of the University of Casablanca]O Sefrioui
, , CHU Ibn Rochd, Casablanca, Maroc
Ann Urol (Paris) 35:276-9. 2001..During these last decades, with the efforts in obstetrical care in our country, we are assisting in a diminution of the frequency of this pathology and specially the number of complicated fistulas...
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaChau Su Ou
Department of Research and Development, Northwest Hospital, Seattle, WA 98133, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 14:17-21. 2004To describe a methodology for laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF), and to provide a comparison of results between a series of laparoscopic repairs, a series of transabdominal open repairs (TAORs), a series of transvaginal ..
- Acute renal failure caused by complete bladder eversion through a vesicovaginal fistulaJames S Dunn
Greater Baltimore Medical Center, 6569 North Charles Street, PPW, Baltimore, MD 21204, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:49-50. 2004We report a rare case of bladder eversion through a vesicovaginal fistula. The bladder prolapse was almost complete, resulting in ureteral kinking, bilateral hydronephrosis and acute renal failure...
- Obstetric fistulas in rural PakistanA H Jokhio
Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 95:288-9. 2006
- Laparoscopic transabdominal transvesical vesicovaginal fistula repairShrenik J Shah
Department of Urology, B J Medical College and Civil Hospital, Asarwa, Ahmedabad, India
J Endourol 23:1135-7. 2009..Transabdominal transvesical repair has been the standard management for difficult vesicovaginal fistulae as a result of obstetric and gynecologic surgery. We describe a laparoscopic transvesical technique that minimizes operative morbidity...
- Vesicovaginal fistula repair: transurethral suture cystorrhaphy as a minimally invasive alternativeHunter A McKay
Department of Urology of Valley Medical Center, Renton, Washington 98055, USA
J Endourol 18:487-90. 2004Further experience and success in the transurethral repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) prompted a review of our current technique and results. Patient selection criteria, instrumentation, technique, and potential pitfalls are discussed.
- Repair of obstetric vesicovaginal fistulas in AfricaMarcella L Roenneburg
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:1748-52. 2006The purpose of this study was to show the outcomes of primary surgical repair of obstetric vesicovaginal fistula repairs in Niger, Africa.
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaHo Yee Tiong
Department of Urology, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore, 119074, Singapore
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1085-90. 2007..We performed a laparoscopic repair to minimize the surgical morbidity of the transabdominal approach...
- Bladder mucosal autografts for repair of vesicovaginal fistulaNachiket Vyas
Deparment of Urology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
BJOG 112:112-4. 2005Twenty-two women with primary and secondary (five patients) vesicovaginal fistula attending a tertiary level urological unit in India were treated by repair of the fistula using bladder mucosal autografts...
- Vesicovaginal fistula: a review of nigerian experienceM A Ijaiya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Maternity Hospital Wing, PMB 1339 Ilorin, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 29:293-8. 2010b>Vesicovaginal fistula is a preventable calamity, which has been an age-long menace in developing countries.
- A community-based long-term follow up of women undergoing obstetric fistula repair in rural EthiopiaH S Nielsen
The Fertility Clinic, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
BJOG 116:1258-64. 2009..To assess urinary and reproductive health and quality of life following surgical repair of obstetric fistula...
- Fibrin glue versus martius flap interpositioning in the repair of complicated obstetric vesicovaginal fistula. A prospective multi-institution randomized trialAhmed Safan
Urology Department, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Neurourol Urodyn 28:438-41. 2009..To examine the efficacy of using fibrin glue (FG) as an interpositioning layer in the repair of complicated vesioovaginal fistulae (VVFe) as compared to the classical repair using martius flaps (Ml')...
- Laparoscopic transabdominal transvesical vesicovaginal fistula repairCarson Wong
Department of Urology, The University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
J Endourol 20:240-3; discussion 243. 2006..We describe a laparoscopic transvesical technique that minimizes operative morbidity while adhering to the principles of transabdominal repair as described by O'Conner...
- Vesical calculi with unrepaired vesicovaginal fistula: a clinical appraisal of an uncommon associationD Dalela
Department of Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow, India
J Urol 170:2206-8. 2003Primary vesical calculi are uncommon in patients with vesicovaginal fistula (VVF). We retrospectively analyzed 19 such cases and present our experience with the management of this condition.
- The diagnosis and management of vesicovaginal fistulaeI Romics
Department of Urology, Semmelweis University, Ullōi út 78 b Budapest, H 1082 Hungary
BJU Int 89:764-6. 2002
- [Vesicovaginal fistula which arose postoperatively after removal of the ureter by the intussusception method for renal pelvic tumor: a case report]Tomohiro Magari
Department of Urology, Chichibu City Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 50:703-7. 2004..Under the diagnosis of vesicovaginal fistula, we performed transvaginal repair of the vesicovaginal fistula in November 2003...
- Where should obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas be repaired: at the district general hospital or a specialized fistula center?L L Wall
Department of Anthropology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S28-31. 2007..Without external funding, these prerequisites are almost impossible to meet at rural district hospitals...
- Retrograde vaginal methylene blue injection for localization of complex urinary fistulasKamal A Hanash
Department of Urology MBC 83, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, PO Box 3254, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia
J Endourol 17:941-3. 2003..In a few complex cases, however, the localization of the fistulous orifice may be extremely difficult...
- Local anesthesia: an appropriate technology for simple fistula repairO A Ojengbede
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S75-8. 2007..To assess the efficacy of local infiltrative anesthesia with lidocaine hydrochloride in patients undergoing the surgical repair of a simple vesico-vaginal fistula...
- One-stage repair for combined fistulas: myth or reality?O A Ojengbede
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S90-3. 2007..The multistage approach involves at least 3 surgical sessions, all associated with morbidity and sometimes with a colostomy procedure as well. The outcomes of the 1-stage approach were examined...
- Formation of vesicovaginal fistulas in laparoscopic hysterectomy with electrosurgically induced cystotomy in female mongrel dogsStephanie L Cogan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 187:1510-3; discussion 1513-4. 2002The aim of this pilot study was to investigate the relationship between various types of laparoscopic bladder injuries and vesicovaginal fistula formation in an animal model.
- Urinary and faecal incontinence following delayed primary repair of obstetric genital fistulaChristine Murray
Department of Urogynaecology, The Mercy Hospital for Women, Melbourne, Australia
BJOG 109:828-32. 2002....
- Complex obstetric fistulasR R Genadry
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S51-6. 2007..The severity of the neurovascular alterations associated with these lesions, as well as inescapable limitations in staff, health facilities, and supplies, make their optimal management very challenging...
- Simple fistulas: diagnosis and management in low-resource settings--a descriptive reportA T Lassey
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S47-50. 2007..The patients are kept at the hospital for 14 days postoperatively for continuous bladder drainage...
- A review of postoperative care for obstetric fistulas in NigeriaO S Shittu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S79-84. 2007..Technically, the involvement of all surgeons trained in fistula repair and an experience-based postoperative management protocol will relieve the disease burden carried by women living with fistulas in Nigeria...
- Large post-hysterectomy and post-radiation vesicovaginal fistulas: repair by ileocystoplastyI D Tabakov
Department of Urology, District Hospital St Ann, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Urol 171:272-4. 2004..We devised a technique for simultaneous closure of large post-hysterectomy and post-radiation vesicovaginal fistulas, and augmentation of the concomitant shrunken bladder by ileocystoplasty as a 1-step procedure...
- Urinary diversion in the vesico-vaginal fistula patient: general considerations regarding feasibility, safety, and follow-upS D Arrowsmith
Rehoboth McKinley Christian Healthcare Services, Gallup, New Mexico 87301, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S65-8. 2007..As in all other areas of VVF care, more data are required before good treatment choices can be made for patients with inoperable VVFs...
- Obstetric fistulas: a clinical reviewA A Creanga
Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S40-6. 2007..A standardized terminology and classification, as well as a data reporting system on the surgical management of obstetric fistulas and its outcomes, are critical steps that need to be taken immediately...
- Current techniques for vesicovaginal fistula repair: surgical pearls to optimize cure rateBrian L Cohen
Curr Urol Rep 8:413-8. 2007....
- Obstetric fistula: clinical considerations in the creation of a new urethra and the management of a subsequent pregnancyA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Center, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S94-7. 2007..These cases were documented at the Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Center in Northern Ethiopia...
- Bilateral pedicled myocutaneous vertical rectus abdominus muscle flaps to close vesicovaginal and pouch-vaginal fistulas with simultaneous vaginal and perineal reconstruction in irradiated pelvic woundsRaymund E Horch
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Urology 60:502-7. 2002..In a second approach, the persisting vesicovaginal fistula was closed by a right rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap while simultaneously reconstructing the anterior ..