Summary: An abnormal anatomical passage between the BLADDER and the VAGINA.
Publications169 found, 100 shown here
- Women with obstetric fistula in Ethiopia: a 6-month follow up after surgical treatmentA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Centre, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
BJOG 115:1564-9. 2008..To quantify surgical and quality of life outcomes 6 months after obstetric fistula repair...
- Obstetric fistulae: a study of women managed at the Monze Mission Hospital, ZambiaA Holme
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
BJOG 114:1010-7. 2007..The objective of this study was to describe and compare characteristics of women with obstetric fistula...
- The obstetric vesicovaginal fistula in the developing worldL L Wall
Obstet Gynecol Surv 60:S3-S51. 2005
- A review of clinical pattern and outcome of vesicovaginal fistulaAjenifuja Kayode Olusegun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 101:593-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence, sociodemographic parameters, and outcome of surgical repairs of obstetric fistula in our center...
- Risk factors for developing residual urinary incontinence after obstetric fistula repairA Browning
Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BJOG 113:482-5. 2006Obstetric vesicovaginal fistula is a devastating cause of urinary incontinence worldwide...
- Vesicovaginal fistula: a major healthcare problemDirk De Ridder
Department of Urology, University Hospitals K U Leuven, Herestraat, Leuven, Belgium
Curr Opin Urol 19:358-61. 2009The aim of this study is to summarize the recent data on vesicovaginal fistula in the developing world...
- Prevention of residual urinary incontinence following successful repair of obstetric vesico-vaginal fistula using a fibro-muscular slingAndrew Browning
Fistula Hospital, P.O. Box 3609, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BJOG 111:357-61. 2004..This article describes a new and simple surgical procedure, which, when employed at the time of fistula closure, seems to reduce the incidence of residual incontinence in those women at a higher risk of developing it...
- Vesicovaginal fistula: a review of nigerian experienceM A Ijaiya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Maternity Hospital Wing, PMB 1339 Ilorin, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 29:293-8. 2010b>Vesicovaginal fistula is a preventable calamity, which has been an age-long menace in developing countries.
- The obstetric vesicovaginal fistula: characteristics of 899 patients from Jos, NigeriaL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1011-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to describe the characteristics of women with obstetric vesicovaginal fistulas at a hospital in north central Nigeria...
- Repair of obstetric vesicovaginal fistulas in AfricaMarcella L Roenneburg
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:1748-52. 2006The purpose of this study was to show the outcomes of primary surgical repair of obstetric vesicovaginal fistula repairs in Niger, Africa.
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaRene Sotelo
Section of Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Urology, La Floresta Medical Institute, Caracas, Venezuela
J Urol 173:1615-8. 2005b>Vesicovaginal fistula may be a complication of urogynecologic surgery. We describe the technique of laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula as performed at our 2 institutions.
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaChau Su Ou
Department of Research and Development, Northwest Hospital, Seattle, WA 98133, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 14:17-21. 2004To describe a methodology for laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF), and to provide a comparison of results between a series of laparoscopic repairs, a series of transabdominal open repairs (TAORs), a series of transvaginal ..
- Laparoscopic vesicovaginal fistula repair with robotic reconstructionO Melamud
Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, California 92868, USA
Urology 65:163-6. 2005..To describe, to our knowledge, the first case report of robotic-assisted laparoscopic repair of a vesicovaginal fistula. A 44-year-old woman presented with a vesicovaginal fistula after vaginal hysterectomy...
- Vesicovaginal fistula repair: transurethral suture cystorrhaphy as a minimally invasive alternativeHunter A McKay
Department of Urology of Valley Medical Center, Renton, Washington 98055, USA
J Endourol 18:487-90. 2004Further experience and success in the transurethral repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) prompted a review of our current technique and results. Patient selection criteria, instrumentation, technique, and potential pitfalls are discussed.
- Vesicovaginal fistula formation in patients with Stage IVA cervical carcinomaKathleen N Moore
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 920 SL Young Blvd, WP 2470, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Gynecol Oncol 106:498-501. 2007To evaluate the rate of vesicovaginal fistula formation and mortality in women with Stage IVA cervical carcinoma.
- The immediate management of fresh obstetric fistulasKees Waaldijk
Babbar Ruga Fistula Hospital, Katsina, Nigeria
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:795-9. 2004..4%). CONCLUSION: This immediate management proves highly effective in terms of closure and continence and will prevent the patient from becoming an outcast with progressive downgrading medically, socially, and mentally...
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaHo Yee Tiong
Department of Urology, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore, 119074, Singapore
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1085-90. 2007..We performed a laparoscopic repair to minimize the surgical morbidity of the transabdominal approach...
- Early laparoscopic repair for supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistulaH K Nagraj
Department of Urology, M S Ramaiah Memorial Hospitals, Bangalore, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:759-62. 2007Laparoscopic repair of supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistula is less morbid and equally effective compared to open repair. This approach is advisable when transvaginal repair is difficult.
- Prognostic factors of recurrence after vesicovaginal fistula repairMohsen Ayed
Department of Urology, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Int J Urol 13:345-9. 2006PURPOSE: We evaluate the prognostic factors of recurrence in patients after the surgical repair of vesicovaginal fistula. MATERIALS AND METHODS: From 1985 to 2002, 73 women with vesicovaginal fistula underwent late (> 3 months) surgical ..
- Fibrin glue versus martius flap interpositioning in the repair of complicated obstetric vesicovaginal fistula. A prospective multi-institution randomized trialAhmed Safan
Urology Department, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Neurourol Urodyn 28:438-41. 2009..To examine the efficacy of using fibrin glue (FG) as an interpositioning layer in the repair of complicated vesioovaginal fistulae (VVFe) as compared to the classical repair using martius flaps (Ml')...
- Robotic repair of vesicovaginal fistula: case series of five patientsBala M Sundaram
Department of Urology, Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Urology 67:970-3. 2006OBJECTIVES: To describe a technique of robotic repair of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) and present our experience with 5 such patients...
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaPranjal Modi
Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Ahmedabad, India
Urol Int 76:374-6. 2006b>Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) may be a complication of prolonged repair or urogynecologic surgery. Failing conservative management, it may be repaired using an abdominal or vaginal approach...
- Pregnancy in an untreated case of transverse vaginal septum with vesicovaginal fistulaN Srinath
Department of Urology, Command Hospital EC, Alipore, Calcutta 700027, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:583-5. 2007..She was found to have transverse vaginal septum in the lower one-third of her vagina with congenital vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) and a dead fetus of approximately 20 weeks gestation...
- Laparoscopic transabdominal transvesical vesicovaginal fistula repairCarson Wong
Department of Urology, The University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
J Endourol 20:240-3; discussion 243. 2006..We describe a laparoscopic transvesical technique that minimizes operative morbidity while adhering to the principles of transabdominal repair as described by O'Conner...
- Vesicovaginal fistula with bladder eversion: a rare complication of third degree cervical descentSudipta Banerjee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Government Medical College and Hospital, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 28:160-1. 2006
- A decade's experience with vesicovaginal fistula in IndiaNeeraj K Goyal
Department of Urology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 221 005, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:39-42. 2007..All complicated fistulae should be repaired with tissue interposition or tissue graft. This is the first study from India compiling 10 years of experience on vesicovaginal fistula.
- Obstetric vesicovaginal fistula as an international public-health problemL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Lancet 368:1201-9. 2006b>Vesicovaginal fistula is a devastating injury in which an abnormal opening forms between a woman's bladder and vagina, resulting in urinary incontinence...
- Congenital vesicovaginal fistula with transverse vaginal septum and ectopic ureter opening in proximal vagina: case report and brief reviewSantosh Kumar
Department of Urology, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:959-61. 2007Congenital vesicovaginal fistula is an extreme rarity. We report on a case of a 22-year-old lady who presented with menouria and infertility...
- Obstetric fistula in developing countries: a review articleMulu Muleta
Obstetrician-Gynecologist, Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Addis, Ababa Ethiopia
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 28:962-6. 2006..Although prevention should be the ultimate goal, the need for curative care services for the sufferers is shown to be significant...
- Dead women walking: neglected millions with obstetric fistulaS Ahmed
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S1-3. 2007
- Guidelines of how to manage vesicovaginal fistulaRoberto Angioli
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rome Campus Biomedico, Via Longoni 69, 00155 Rome, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 48:295-304. 2003..The risk of developing vesicovaginal fistula is more than 1% after radical surgery and radiotherapy for gynecologic malignancies...
- Free bladder mucosal autograft in the treatment of complicated vesicovaginal fistulaF Sharifi-Aghdas
Urology Nephrology Research Center, Labbafi Nejad Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Boostan 9st Pasdaran Avenue, Tehran, Iran
BJU Int 89:54-6. 2002To describe an effective and simple method for repairing complicated vesicovaginal fistula using a free bladder mucosal autograft.
- The classification of obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas: a call for an evidence-based approachS D Arrowsmith
Rehoboth McKinley Christian Healthcare Services, 1900 Redrock Dr, Gallup, NM 87301, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S25-7. 2007..Once available, an outcome-based classification system could be vital in selecting fistula cases appropriate for training surgeons, and in improving communication with patients...
- Vesicovaginal fistulaH Roger Hadley
Division of Urology, Loma Linda University, 11234 Anderson Street, Room A560, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Curr Urol Rep 3:401-7. 2002The most common cause of vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) in North America is injury to the bladder during a hysterectomy. In underdeveloped countries, childbirth is the leading etiology of these fistulae...
- Ten-year experience with transvaginal vesicovaginal fistula repair using tissue interpositionKaryn Schlunt Eilber
Department of Urology, Memorail Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 169:1033-6. 2003PURPOSE: The success rate of vesicovaginal fistula repair is improved by tissue interposition. The Martius flap produces reliable results but it has increased morbidity...
- Sexual trauma--an unusual cause of a vesicovaginal fistulaKallol K Roy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 101:89-90. 2002A 20-year-old nullipara presented with a post-coital vesicovaginal fistula in the trigone of the bladder. She had normal genital development and no other cause was found. The fistula was repaired by vaginal route.
- Vesical calculi with unrepaired vesicovaginal fistula: a clinical appraisal of an uncommon associationD Dalela
Department of Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow, India
J Urol 170:2206-8. 2003Primary vesical calculi are uncommon in patients with vesicovaginal fistula (VVF). We retrospectively analyzed 19 such cases and present our experience with the management of this condition.
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula and right nephrectomy for nonfunctioning kidney in a single sessionG Nabi
Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
J Endourol 15:801-3. 2001We report a case of failed vesicovaginal fistula repair and nonfunctioning right kidney, which was managed by laparoscopic nephrectomy and fistula repair with omental interposition in a single session.
- Vesicovaginal fistula treated with fibrin glueY Kanaoka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka City University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 73:147-9. 2001We report here a case of vesicovaginal fistula, following radiation therapy and intensive local chemotherapy for recurrent endometrial cancer of the vaginal stump, which was ameliorated with fibrin glue...
- Duration of bladder catheterization after surgery for obstetric fistulaRahel Nardos
Bahir Dar Hamlin Fistula Center, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 103:30-2. 2008..To compare the surgical outcome at discharge and at 6-months follow up in patients who underwent repair of obstetric fistulae with postoperative bladder catheterization for 10, 12, or 14 days...
- Interposition flaps in transabdominal vesicovaginal fistula repairs: are they really necessary?D H Evans
Department of Urology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Urology 57:670-4. 2001..We recommend interposition flaps in transabdominal repairs of VVFs, even in the cases of benign fistulas with well-preserved surrounding tissue...
- Acute renal failure caused by complete bladder eversion through a vesicovaginal fistulaJames S Dunn
Greater Baltimore Medical Center, 6569 North Charles Street, PPW, Baltimore, MD 21204, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:49-50. 2004We report a rare case of bladder eversion through a vesicovaginal fistula. The bladder prolapse was almost complete, resulting in ureteral kinking, bilateral hydronephrosis and acute renal failure...
- Congenital vesicovaginal fistula in association with hypoplastic kidney and uterus didelphysLucia M Dolan
Urogynaecology Unit, Directorate of Women's Services, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Urology 63:175-7. 2004Abnormalities of the lower urinary and genital tracts commonly coexist, although congenital vesicovaginal fistula is extremely rare...
- Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistulaRodrigo Artur Pereira Otsuka
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Brazil
J Endourol 22:525-7. 2008b>Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is one of the most devastating surgical complications that can occur in women. The primary cause remains an abdominal hysterectomy. Approach to this condition can be transvaginal or transabdominal...
- Laparoscopic management of recurrent vesicovaginal fistulaJ R Miklos
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 10:116-7. 1999b>Vesicovaginal fistula repair is most commonly undertaken via a transvaginal approach. We report a recurrent case of vesicovaginal fistula which was ultimately repaired using a laparoscopic approach...
- Pediatric tuberculous vesicovaginal fistulaApul Goel
Department of Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University, Upgraded King George's Medical College, Lucknow, India
J Urol 171:389-90. 2004
- [Vesicovaginal fistula which arose postoperatively after removal of the ureter by the intussusception method for renal pelvic tumor: a case report]Tomohiro Magari
Department of Urology, Chichibu City Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 50:703-7. 2004..Under the diagnosis of vesicovaginal fistula, we performed transvaginal repair of the vesicovaginal fistula in November 2003...
- The diagnosis and management of vesicovaginal fistulaeI Romics
Department of Urology, Semmelweis University, , H-1082 Hungary
BJU Int 89:764-6. 2002
- Obstetric fistulas in rural PakistanA H Jokhio
Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 95:288-9. 2006
- Urological trauma after gynecological and obstetric surgeriesNasr A El-Tabey
Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Scand J Urol Nephrol 40:225-31. 2006..Gynecological and obstetric surgeries are not uncommon causes of iatrogenic injury of the urinary tract. Herein, we retrospectively report our experience with these injuries over the last 18 years...
- Obstetric fistula: current practicalities and future concernsAndrew Browning
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:333-4. 2008
- An audit of obstetric fistulae in a teaching hospital in South AfricaS R Ramphal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, Congella, South Africa
Trop Doct 38:162-3. 2008..This study describes the demographic and clinical characteristics of 41 women with obstetric urinary fistulae. All were from poor socioeconomic backgrounds and had limited or no access to antenatal care...
- Complex obstetric fistulasR R Genadry
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S51-6. 2007..The severity of the neurovascular alterations associated with these lesions, as well as inescapable limitations in staff, health facilities, and supplies, make their optimal management very challenging...
- Appendico-vesicostomy in tile management of complex vesico-vaginal fistulaeV C Onuora
Urology Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City
Niger J Clin Pract 9:89-90. 2006..Recently a young lady presented to us with a huge VVF, associated with loss of the urethra and bladder neck, severe gynaetresia and recto-vaginal fistula. Her VVF was successfully managed by an appendico-vesiscostomy...
- Vesicovaginal fistula with secondary vaginal stonesSuresh Patankar
Institute of Urology, Pune, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:386-9. 2006We report a rare case of a vesicovaginal fistula associated with secondary vaginal stones that was managed totally endoscopically.
- Latzko operation for vault vesicovaginal fistulaYan Ansquer
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg, St Antoine, 75571, Paris Cedex 12, France
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:1248-51. 2006Various surgical procedures are currently performed for the treatment of posthysterectomy vesicovaginal fistula. Most of them are carried out via an abdominal incision.
- Obstetric fistulas: a clinical reviewA A Creanga
Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S40-6. 2007..A standardized terminology and classification, as well as a data reporting system on the surgical management of obstetric fistulas and its outcomes, are critical steps that need to be taken immediately...
- Reflections on the knowledge base for obstetric fistulaJ Kelly
Department of Public Health and Epidemology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, England, B15 2TT, UK
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S21-4. 2007..The incidence, prevention, and management of vesico-vaginal and recto-vaginal fistula are discussed. The authors call for more randomized controlled trials to determine the effectiveness of surgical interventions for fistula repair...
- Where should obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas be repaired: at the district general hospital or a specialized fistula center?L L Wall
Department of Anthropology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S28-31. 2007..Without external funding, these prerequisites are almost impossible to meet at rural district hospitals...
- Local anesthesia: an appropriate technology for simple fistula repairO A Ojengbede
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S75-8. 2007..To assess the efficacy of local infiltrative anesthesia with lidocaine hydrochloride in patients undergoing the surgical repair of a simple vesico-vaginal fistula...
- Obstetric fistula: clinical considerations in the creation of a new urethra and the management of a subsequent pregnancyA Browning
Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Center, Barhirdar, Ethiopia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S94-7. 2007..These cases were documented at the Barhirdar Hamlin Fistula Center in Northern Ethiopia...
- Commonalities among women who experienced vesicovaginal fistulae as a result of obstetric trauma in Niger: results from a survey given at the National Hospital Fistula Center, Niamey, NigerLarissa Meyer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:90.e1-4. 2007..This is an exploratory analysis to investigate possible contributing factors to the development of vesicovaginal fistulae...
- Current status of robotically assisted laparoscopic surgery in reproductive medicine and gynaecologySilvina Bocca
The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 601 Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 14:765-72. 2007..Ongoing controversies associated with this technology, such as cost, learning curve, conversion rate to laparotomy, post-surgical fertility and complications, are briefly addressed. Long-term analysis of outcomes is ongoing...
- One-stage repair for combined fistulas: myth or reality?O A Ojengbede
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S90-3. 2007..The multistage approach involves at least 3 surgical sessions, all associated with morbidity and sometimes with a colostomy procedure as well. The outcomes of the 1-stage approach were examined...
- Outreach programmes for obstetric fistulaeJ Kelly
Women's Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 24:117-8. 2004
- Urinary diversion in the vesico-vaginal fistula patient: general considerations regarding feasibility, safety, and follow-upS D Arrowsmith
Rehoboth McKinley Christian Healthcare Services, Gallup, New Mexico 87301, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S65-8. 2007..As in all other areas of VVF care, more data are required before good treatment choices can be made for patients with inoperable VVFs...
- Eritrean women's project response to Wall paper: "Hard questions concerning fistula surgery in Third World countries"Amreen Husain
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:281-2. 2007
- Current techniques for vesicovaginal fistula repair: surgical pearls to optimize cure rateBrian L Cohen
Curr Urol Rep 8:413-8. 2007....
- [Surgical treatment of post hysterectomy vesicovaginal fistulas: our experience of more than a decade]N Doganov
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia) 46:47-51. 2007..The authors appreciate the technique used for its utmost reliability which warrants its greater complexity and surgical trauma compared to the other approaches for vesicovaginal fistula repair.
- Vesicovaginal fistula repair with genito-gluteal fold fat pad flapChanyeong Heo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The College of Medicine, Seoul National University, 28 YeonGun Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:323-5. 2008We report our experience of supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) repair cases developed after gynaecologic surgery...
- A review of postoperative care for obstetric fistulas in NigeriaO S Shittu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S79-84. 2007..Technically, the involvement of all surgeons trained in fistula repair and an experience-based postoperative management protocol will relieve the disease burden carried by women living with fistulas in Nigeria...
- The epidemiology of genitourinary fistulae in Kumasi, Ghana, 1977-1992K A Danso
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Science and Technology School of Medical Sciences, Kumasi, Ghana
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:117-20. 1996..Birth attendants should be aware of that fact. Prompt referral for obstetric intervention should be made in obstructed labor, irrespective of the age and parity of the patient...
- Profile and repair success of vesico-vaginal fistula in LahoreMaimoona Hafeez
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Lahore Medical and Dental College, Lahore
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 15:142-4. 2005..To describe the profile of patients with vesico-vaginal fistula (VVF) and success rate of the surgery...
- Technical aspects in the management of complex vesicovaginal fistulaeR B Singh
Department of General Surgery, Pt B D Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak 124001, Haryana, India
Trop Doct 35:40-1. 2005..Thirteen complex vesicovaginal fistulae were successfully closed by a technique of wide separation and water-tight closure of vagina from the urinary bladder and augmentation of the repair with a pedicled omental interposition flap...
- Functional outcomes of primary and secondary repairs of vesicovaginal fistulae via vaginal cuff scar excisionMichael K Flynn
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:394-8; discussion 398. 2004Hospital and office charts of patients who underwent vaginal cuff scar excision for vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) repair from February 1998 to December 2002 at our institution were reviewed...
- [Vesicovaginal fistula]A Cortesse
Service d Urologie, Hopital Saint Louis, hôpital des Diaconnesses, Paris, France
Ann Urol (Paris) 38:52-66. 2004..Once a vesicovaginal fistula is suspected, a thorough vaginal examination should be performed to identify its size and location, ..
- Large post-hysterectomy and post-radiation vesicovaginal fistulas: repair by ileocystoplastyI D Tabakov
Department of Urology, District Hospital St Ann, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Urol 171:272-4. 2004..The bladder defect is closed with a well vascularized ileal segment. Bladder capacity is enlarged simultaneously with good functional results. The procedure can be adapted to cases with concomitant damaged distal ureters...
- Posterior cervical lip for juxtacervical vesicovaginal fistula closure (M. Ijaiya's technique)Munir Deen A Ijaiya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maternity Hospital Wing, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, PMB 1339, Ilorin, Nigeria
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:216-8. 2004..This technique is recommended for postmenopausal patients with a normal cervical smear and endometrial biopsy. It is easier, less time-consuming and less bloody than abdominal route repair. Vaginal capacity is preserved...
- Retropubic repair of genitourinary fistula using a free supporting graftA A el-Lateef Moharram
Department of Urology, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
BJU Int 93:581-3. 2004..To report the repair of genitourinary fistulae using a retropubic extraperitoneal transvesical approach using a support graft (free graft) from the anterior abdominal wall fat...
- Delayed presentation and successful repair of a recurrent vesicovaginal fistula after hysterectomy and primary abdominal repairMichael K Flynn
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:53-5. 2004..The pathogenesis of vesicovaginal fistula formation remains unclear...
- Retrograde vaginal methylene blue injection for localization of complex urinary fistulasKamal A Hanash
Department of Urology MBC 83, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, PO Box 3254, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia
J Endourol 17:941-3. 2003..In a few complex cases, however, the localization of the fistulous orifice may be extremely difficult...
- Simple fistulas: diagnosis and management in low-resource settings--a descriptive reportA T Lassey
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S47-50. 2007..The patients are kept at the hospital for 14 days postoperatively for continuous bladder drainage...
- Formation of vesicovaginal fistulas in laparoscopic hysterectomy with electrosurgically induced cystotomy in female mongrel dogsStephanie L Cogan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 187:1510-3; discussion 1513-4. 2002The aim of this pilot study was to investigate the relationship between various types of laparoscopic bladder injuries and vesicovaginal fistula formation in an animal model.
- Bilateral pedicled myocutaneous vertical rectus abdominus muscle flaps to close vesicovaginal and pouch-vaginal fistulas with simultaneous vaginal and perineal reconstruction in irradiated pelvic woundsRaymund E Horch
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Urology 60:502-7. 2002..In a second approach, the persisting vesicovaginal fistula was closed by a right rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap while simultaneously reconstructing the anterior ..
- Urinary and faecal incontinence following delayed primary repair of obstetric genital fistulaChristine Murray
Department of Urogynaecology, The Mercy Hospital for Women, Melbourne, Australia
BJOG 109:828-32. 2002..CONCLUSION: This study demonstrates the high rate of successful closure of the fistula in a specialised fistula unit, but highlights the problem of persistent urinary incontinence following closure...
- Gynecologic effects of tamoxifen: case reports and review of the literatureR M Caputo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:179-84. 1996..Because the number of women receiving tamoxifen may be increasing the authors include a review of its effects, with which all health care providers caring for women should be familiar...
- [Vesicovaginal fistula associated with a vaginal foreign body: a case report]Kotaro Hirai
The Department of Urology, Fujisawa Municipal Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 51:283-6. 2005..Under the diagnosis of vesicovaginal fistula due to vaginal foreign body, the cap was removed manually and transvaginal repair of the vesicovaginal ..
- Neobladder-vaginal fistula after cystectomy and orthotopic neobladder constructionJoseph A Smith
J Urol 174:970-1. 2005
- Surgical management of complex obstetric fistula in EritreaAmreen Husain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5317, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 14:839-44. 2005..To evaluate the incidence of and demographic characteristics associated with obstetric fistula in Eritrea. To determine the outcomes of surgical repair of complex fistula in Eritrea by a visiting surgical team...
- Early versus late closure of vesicovaginal fistulasG S Melah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Federal Medical Centre, Gombe, Gombe State, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 93:252-3. 2006
- Vaginal repair of vesico-vaginal fistulas: our experienceFrancesco Catanzaro
Department of Urology, Policlinico Multimedica, Sesto San Giovanni, Milan, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 77:224-5. 2005..Vaginal approach is less aggressive, well accepted by patients and can lead to lower legal issues. Abdominal surgery is mandatory in complex situations, when the fistula is big (> 4 cm) or when ureteral orifices are involved...
- Lack of value of the Martius fibrofatty graft in obstetric fistula repairA Browning
Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 93:33-7. 2006..To ascertain if the Martius graft is of benefit to successful surgical outcome in obstetric fistula repair...
- Successful closure of a bladder neck fistula complicated by urethral and vaginal stenosis, using oxidized cellulose (Surgicel) for reinforcementSuneeta Mittal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:426-8. 2006..As there was less available tissue, a 3 x 2-cm layer of oxidized cellulose was stitched between the bladder and the vaginal mucosa for reinforcement and to achieve a watertight closure of fistula...
- [Vesicovaginal fistulas: transperitoneal surgical repair using omentum or peritoneal tissue interposition, vaginal repair using Martius flaps]O Dilk
, , Homburg
Aktuelle Urol 36:529-40; quiz 541-5. 2005
- Supratrigonal VVF repair by modified O'Connor's technique: an experience of 26 casesDivakar Dalela
Department of Urology, King George Medical University, Lucknow, UP, India
Eur Urol 49:551-6. 2006..Retropubic dissection and drainage of the retropubic space is also not required...
- Hard questions concerning fistula surgery in Third World countriesL Lewis Wall
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 14:863-6. 2005
- Conservative treatment for lower gynecological tract malignancies in children and adolescents: the Institut Gustave-Roussy experienceA P Gerbaulet
Head of Brachytherapy Unit, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 17:655-8. 1989..occurred in five patients: two hydronephroses, one urethral stricture, one ileo-cecal obstruction, and one vesicovaginal fistula. Twelve of the 17 patients (71%) over 12 years of age are normally menstruating...
- Urology in pre-civil war CharlestonJ Nathaniel Hamilton
Department of Urology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
J Urol 180:477-80. 2008....
- Genitourinary fistula experience in Sierra Leone: review of 505 casesAlyona Lewis
West Africa Fistula Foundation, Choithram Memorial Hospital at Hill Station, Freetown, Sierra Leone
J Urol 181:1725-31. 2009..We reviewed cases of genitourinary fistula resulting from birth trauma in Sierra Leone to determine factors predictive of successful operative repair...
- Feasibility and morbidity of using saline filled tissue expanders to reduce radiation-induced bowel injury in patients with gynecologic malignanciesMelissa A Geller
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Minnesota, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 143:93-7. 2009..To evaluate the feasibility and morbidity of using saline filled tissue expanders (TE) to displace the small bowel during radiation therapy in patients with gynecologic malignancies...
- Genital fistula--our experienceArati Biswas
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata
J Indian Med Assoc 105:123-6. 2007..Among the varieties of genital fistula, 76.19% were vesicovaginal fistula, 11.90% were rectovaginal fistula and 4.76%, 4.76% and 2...