Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammation of the prostate. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications182 found, 100 shown here
- Chronic prostatitis: Charlottesville to SeattleJohn N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Urol 172:2557-60. 2004PURPOSE: Since few men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) have culturable bacteria by traditional approaches, we used sensitive molecular methods to determine presence of fastidious microorganisms...
- Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: symptoms are aggravated by cold and become less distressing with age and timeHans Hedelin
Research and Development Centre and the Department of Urology, Karnsjukhuset, Skovde, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 41:516-20. 2007To evaluate how age and the duration of the condition influence the distress caused by the chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and to study how heat and cold influence the symptoms associated with CP/ CPPS as ..
- Inflammation in prostate carcinogenesisAngelo M De Marzo
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Baltimore, MD, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 7:256-69. 2007....
- Eradication of Enterococcus faecalis by phage therapy in chronic bacterial prostatitis--case reportS Letkiewicz
Urological and Andrological Clinic UROGEN, 42 600, Tarnowskie Góry, Poland
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 54:457-61. 2009The treatment of three patients suffering from chronic bacterial prostatitis who were qualified for an experimental phage therapy protocol managed at the Phage Therapy Unit in Wrocław is described...
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa acute prostatitis and urosepsis after sexual relations in a hot tubLori M Dulabon
Department of Urology, State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1607-8. 2009We report a case of a previously healthy 38-year-old male with acute prostatitis and concurrent Pseudomonas aeruginosa urosepsis...
- Acute bacterial prostatitis after transrectal prostate needle biopsy: clinical analysisKazuyoshi Shigehara
Department of Urology, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital, 2 1 Kuratsukihigashi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Infect Chemother 14:40-3. 2008We investigated the incidence and characteristics of acute bacterial prostatitis after transrectal prostate biopsy, based on urine and blood cultures, treatment method, and outcome...
- Gonorrhea, syphilis, clinical prostatitis, and the risk of prostate cancerSiobhan Sutcliffe
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Room E6138, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:2160-6. 2006..Although previous case-control studies have observed positive associations among gonorrhea, syphilis, clinical prostatitis, and prostate cancer, many may have been susceptible to recall and interviewer biases due to their ..
- Long-term results of multimodal therapy for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeDaniel A Shoskes
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston and Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, USA
J Urol 169:1406-10. 2003PURPOSE: Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome is a prevalent and multifactorial condition. Many patients have the condition for years despite conventional therapies...
- The correlation between serum prostate specific antigen levels and asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitisCuneyt Ozden
Department of Urology, Numune Education and Research Hospital, Cevizlidere Mah 14 Cad, Balgat 12 25, Ankara, 06100, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 39:859-63. 2007Asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis is a common pathological finding in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Reduced semen quality in chronic prostatitis patients that induce the release of apoptotic protein Omi/HtrA2 from spermatozoaX Y Hu
Department of Urology, Shanghai Jiaotong University Affiliated No 6 People s Hospital, Shanghai, China
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:104-8. 2007The relationship between chronic prostatitis and fertility has been disputed for many years...
- The perspectives of the application of phage therapy in chronic bacterial prostatitisSławomir Letkiewicz
Phage Therapy Unit, Ludwik Hirszfeld Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw, Poland
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 60:99-112. 2010Chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP) is a long-lasting and crippling disease that strongly impacts the patient's quality of life. The diagnosis of CBP is difficult and the treatment regimens are not always successful...
- An epidemiological study of patients with chronic prostatitisChao-Zhao Liang
Department of Urology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China
BJU Int 94:568-70. 2004OBJECTIVE: To assess possible causes, clinical symptoms and improvements in treatment for chronic prostatitis in China...
- Prevalence of sexual dysfunction in Chinese men with chronic prostatitisChao Zhao Liang
Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Anhui, China
BJU Int 93:568-70. 2004To investigate the prevalence and risk factors of sexual dysfunction in Chinese men with chronic prostatitis.
- Antibiotic treatment can delay ejaculation in patients with premature ejaculation and chronic bacterial prostatitisAbdelrahman el Nashaar
Department of Andrology, Sexology and STDs, Cairo, Egypt
J Sex Med 4:491-6. 2007..Previous studies reported that prostatic inflammation was highly prevalent in PE. However, the effect of antibiotic treatment of cases with PE and chronic prostatitis has not been extensively investigated.
- Terazosin therapy for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a randomized, placebo controlled trialPhaik Yeong Cheah
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Science Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
J Urol 169:592-6. 2003PURPOSE: We evaluate terazosin therapy for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome...
- The prevalence of men with National Institutes of Health category IV prostatitis and association with serum prostate specific antigenBrett S Carver
Department of Urology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
J Urol 169:589-91. 2003..PSA) levels in a screening population of men diagnosed with National Institutes of Health (NIH) category IV prostatitis. MATERIALS AND METHODS: In September of 2001, 300 men were randomly selected from our prostate cancer awareness ..
- A review of the development and validation of the National Institutes of Health Chronic Prostatitis Symptom IndexMark S Litwin
David Geffen School of Medicine, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Urology 60:14-8; discussion 18-9. 2002Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS) causes morbidity, both through symptoms and associated impairment in health-related quality of life, both of which illustrate the importance of patient-centered ..
- [Investigation of chronic prostatitis and altered bowel habits]Hong Jun Li
Laboratory of Reproduction and Genetics, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing, Command, PLA, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210002, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 8:338-40. 2002To explore the incidence, causes, and significance of altered bowel habits in chronic prostatitis.
- Seminal plasma cytokines and chemokines in prostate inflammation: interleukin 8 as a predictive biomarker in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and benign prostatic hyperplasiaGiuseppe Penna
BioXell, Milan, Italy
Eur Urol 51:524-33; discussion 533. 2007This prospective study quantified cytokine and chemokine levels in seminal plasma of patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), to evaluate inflammatory mediators as ..
- Acupuncture ameliorates symptoms in men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeRichard Chen
Trillium Medical Center, Acupuncture Foundation of Canada, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Urology 61:1156-9; discussion 1159. 2003..a pilot study whether acupuncture improved pain, voiding symptoms, and the quality of life of men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome...
- Identification of antigen-specific IgG in sera from patients with chronic prostatitisEdward J Dunphy
Department of Medicine, Section of Medical Oncology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Clin Immunol 24:492-502. 2004..We hypothesized that antigens of the prostate might be identified in patients with the chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain syndrome, a syndrome for which an autoimmune pathology has been proposed...
- Classification, epidemiology and implications of chronic prostatitis in North America, Europe and AsiaJ N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington, School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Minerva Urol Nefrol 56:99-107. 2004The last decade has seen a resurgence of interest and exciting new research on chronic prostatitis and related syndromes...
- Acute and chronic prostatitisVi N Hua
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Tarry 11 715, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:483-94. 2004In summary, prostatitis is a complex syndrome that spans a spectrum from acute prostatitis with a straightforward presentation to CP-CPPS with a complex array of symptoms...
- Prostatitis: epidemiology of inflammationRegula Doggweiler Wiygul
University of Tennessee, Memphis, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 853 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103, USA
Curr Urol Rep 6:282-9. 2005Approximately 8 million prostatitis-related outpatient visits per year have been reported worldwide. Only a small percentage presents with bacterial prostatitis...
- Self-report of prostatitis and its risk factors in a random sample of middle-aged menIvan Rothman
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine; Seattle, Washington 98195-6510, USA
Urology 64:876-9; discussion 879-80. 2004OBJECTIVES: To determine the risk factors for the self-reported history of prostatitis and to determine whether a self-reported history of prostatitis is related to the diagnosis of prostate cancer...
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis: an evolving clinical enigmaJ Curtis Nickel
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Urology 66:2-8. 2005
- Dyspnea and hemoptysis develop in a young man with prostatitisCarolina Q See
Section of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago Hospital, 60612-7323, USA
Chest 128:3625-8. 2005
- Chlamydia trachomatis occurrence and its impact on sperm quality in chronic prostatitis patientsRuben Dario Motrich
Centro de Investigaciones en Bioquímica Clínica e Inmunología CIBICI CONICET, Departamento de Bioquimica Clinica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, Cordoba, Argentina
J Infect 53:175-83. 2006The role of Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) in the pathogenesis of chronic prostatitis and its impact on male fertility remain controversial...
- The overlapping lower urinary tract symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatitisJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Urol 16:5-10. 2006To investigate the relationship, diagnosis and treatment of the overlapping lower urinary tract symptoms experienced by men diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatitis.
- Prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeGeoffrey M Habermacher
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Annu Rev Med 57:195-206. 2006We review the diagnosis, categorization, and treatment of prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome based on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) classification. Prostatitis is an extremely common syndrome that afflicts 2%-10% of men...
- Chlamydial and ureaplasmal infections in patients with nonbacterial chronic prostatitisR R Badalyan
Department of Urology, NIH, Yerevan, Armenia
Andrologia 35:263-5. 2003..of routine evaluation of patients with inflammatory (IIIA) and noninflammatory (IIIB) types of nonbacterial prostatitis (NBP) for chlamydial and ureaplasmal infections...
- Predictors of symptom severity in patients with chronic prostatitis and interstitial cystitisJ Quentin Clemens
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Urol 175:963-6; discussion 967. 2006..Numerous studies have been performed to identify potential risk factors for CP/CPPS and IC. However, few studies have been done to identify predictors of disease severity...
- Interleukin-8 levels in seminal plasma in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and nonspecific urethritisAbbas Khadra
Department of Clinical Development Sciences Genitourinary Medicine, St George s, University of London, London
BJU Int 97:1043-6. 2006To investigate whether a range of cytokines were detectable in the seminal plasma and urine of men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and nonspecific urethritis (NSU), and whether cytokine levels correlated ..
- Therapy for prostatitis, with emphasis on bacterial prostatitisFlorian M E Wagenlehner
Justus Liebig University, Clinic for Urology and Pediatric Urology, Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1667-74. 2007The prostatitis syndrome is classified in bacterial prostatitis as confirmed or suspected infection and chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)...
- Autoimmune pancreatitis-associated prostatitis: distinct clinicopathological entityTakeshi Uehara
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Pathol Int 58:118-25. 2008..To elucidate the clinicopathological characteristics of AIP-associated prostatitis (AIP-P), the clinicopathological findings of AIP-P patients were evaluated, and the immunohistochemical ..
- The role of Chlamydia trachomatis in prostatitisW Weidner
Department of Urology, Universitätsklinikum Giessen, Rudolf Buchheim Strasse 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 19:466-70. 2002Ascending chlamydial infections have been thought to be an infective cause of prostatitis for the last three decades...
- Painful myofascial trigger points and pain sites in men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeRodney U Anderson
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Urol 182:2753-8. 2009A combination of manual physiotherapy and specific relaxation training effectively treats patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome...
- Stress induced hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis responses and disturbances in psychological profiles in men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeRodney U Anderson
Department of Urology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5118, USA
J Urol 182:2319-24. 2009..We evaluated patients and asymptomatic controls for psychological factors and neuroendocrine reactivity under provoked acute stress conditions...
- Increased endogenous estrogen synthesis leads to the sequential induction of prostatic inflammation (prostatitis) and prostatic pre-malignancyStuart J Ellem
Centre for Urological Research, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, 27 31 Wright Street, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Am J Pathol 175:1187-99. 2009b>Prostatitis causes substantial morbidity to men, through associated urinary symptoms, sexual dysfunction, and pelvic pain; however, 90% to 95% of cases have an unknown etiology...
- Incidental detection of granulomatous prostatitis by F-18 FDG PET/CT in a patient with bladder cancer: a rare complication of BCG instillation therapySeyfettin Ilgan
Visart Medical Imaging Center, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Nucl Med 34:613-4. 2009..Histopathologic evaluation revealed granulomatous prostatitis which is a recognized rare complication of intravesical instillation of BCG during the treatment of superficial ..
- The association between varicocele, premature ejaculation and prostatitis symptoms: possible mechanismsFrancesco Lotti
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence 50139, Italy
J Sex Med 6:2878-87. 2009..No study has ever systematically evaluated the impact of varicocele on sexual function...
- Terazosine and tamsulosin in non bacterial prostatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled studyS Lacquaniti
Department of Urology, Catholic University of S Cuore, Rome, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 71:283-5. 1999..with inflammatory process of the prostate met criteria for the inclusion in the study: 1) non bacterial prostatitis; 2) no previous treatment...
- Chlamydia trachomatis infection is related to poor semen quality in young prostatitis patientsSandra Mazzoli
Sexually Transmitted Disease Centre, Santa Maria Annunziata Hospital, Florence, Italy
Eur Urol 57:708-14. 2010The impact of chronic prostatitis resulting from Chlamydia trachomatis infection on male fertility is controversial.
- Epidemiologic association between prostatitis and prostate cancerLeslie K Dennis
Department of Epidemiology, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Urology 60:78-83. 2002OBJECTIVES: To quantify the relationship between prostatitis and prostate cancer by pooling previous epidemiologic studies of this association...
- Antibacterial effect of intraprostatic zinc injection in a rat model of chronic bacterial prostatitisYong-Hyun Cho
Department of Urology, St. Vincent Hospital, Catholic University Medical College, 93 Ji-dong, Paldal-gu, Suwon 442-723, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 19:576-82. 2002..zinc are associated with prostatic antimicrobial activities and are depressed in patients with chronic prostatitis. We investigated the inhibition of bacterial growth in the rat prostate with chronic prostatitis after ..
- Comparison of economic impact of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndromeJ Quentin Clemens
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Urology 73:743-6. 2009To perform a comparison of the economic impact of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome (IC/PBS) because limited information is available...
- Nanobacteria: a possible etiology for type III prostatitisXuecheng Shen
Urological Research Institute of PLA, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, People s Republic of China
J Urol 184:364-9. 2010..We observed pathological changes in nanobacteria infected prostates in Sprague-Dawley(R) rats and investigated the possible etiological relationships of nanobacteria and type III prostatitis.
- Acute bacterial prostatitis in Korea: clinical outcome, including symptoms, management, microbiology and course of diseaseU Syn Ha
Department of Urology, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:S96-101. 2008..Tract Infection and Inflammation (KAUTII) conducted a multicentre, retrospective analysis of acute bacterial prostatitis (ABP) to document clinical features, management, microbiology and the course of disease...
- Development of an evidence-based cognitive behavioral treatment program for men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology and Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, K7L 2V7, Canada
World J Urol 26:167-72. 2008Psychosocial factors reported by patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) promote greater pain, disability, and ultimately poorer quality of life (QOL)...
- Chronic prostatitis and chronic pelvic pain in men: aetiology, diagnosis and managementG A Luzzi
Wycombe Hospital, High Wycombe, HP11 2TT, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 16:253-6. 2002Patients with chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain syndrome typically report genital or pelvic pain (in or around the penis, perineum, scrotum) lasting > 3 months...
- Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects of garlic and synergistic effect between garlic and ciprofloxacin in a chronic bacterial prostatitis rat modelDong Wan Sohn
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, St Mary s Hospital, 62 Youido dong, Youngdungpoku, Seoul 150 713, South Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 34:215-9. 2009Chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP), which is characterised by recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI) and persistence of pathogenic bacteria and evidence of inflammation in the prostatic secretions, is one of the most common causes of ..
- Biofilms in chronic bacterial prostatitis (NIH-II) and in prostatic calcificationsSandra Mazzoli
STDs Center, Santa Maria Annunziata Hospital, Florence, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 59:337-44. 2010..In Italy, there is a high incidence of prostatitis (13.3%), also accompanied by prostatic calcifications...
- Acupuncture versus sham acupuncture for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic painShaun Wen Huey Lee
School of Pharmaceutical Science, University of Science, Malaysia
Am J Med 121:79.e1-7. 2008Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) afflicts 2%-10% of adult men. Available therapies offer little or no proven benefit...
- Levofloxacin for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome in men: a randomized placebo-controlled multicenter trialJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen's University, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Urology 62:614-7. 2003..trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of 6 weeks of levofloxacin therapy compared with placebo in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS). Uncontrolled studies have supported the use of antibiotics in CP/CPPS...
- Prostatitis, interstitial cystitis, chronic pelvic pain, and urethral syndrome share a common pathophysiology: lower urinary dysfunctional epithelium and potassium recyclingC Lowell Parsons
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Diego, Medical Center, 92103-8897, USA
Urology 62:976-82. 2003
- ProstatitisG J Domingue
Department of Urology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 11:604-13. 1998The laboratory diagnosis of acute bacterial prostatitis is straightforward and easily accomplished in clinical laboratories...
- Therapeutic effect of transurethral needle ablation in non-bacterial prostatitis: chronic pelvic pain syndrome type IIIaPo Hui Chiang
Department of Urology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Int J Urol 11:97-102. 2004Non-bacterial prostatitis is difficult to manage with conventional treatment. This study was undertaken to evaluate the therapeutic effect of transurethral needle ablation (TUNA) on men with chronic inflammatory non-bacterial prostatitis.
- The healthy rat prostate contains high levels of natural killer-like cells and unique subsets of CD4+ helper-inducer T cells: implications for prostatitisEugene V Vykhovanets
Jim and Eilleen Dicke Research Laboratory, Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University-University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-4931, USA
J Urol 173:1004-10. 2005PURPOSE: Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis spontaneously develops in aged Lewis and Wistar rats but not in Sprague-Dawley rats. We report the unique profile of lymphocyte subsets present in the healthy Sprague-Dawley rat prostate...
- Reduced semen quality in chronic prostatitis patients that have cellular autoimmune response to prostate antigensRuben Dario Motrich
Inmunologia, CIBICI CONICET, Departamento de Bioquimica Clinica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Argentina
Hum Reprod 20:2567-72. 2005The relationship between chronic prostatitis and fertility has been controversial for many years...
- [Analysis of cytokines (IL-2, IL-8, IL-10) in the expressed prostatic secretions of chronic prostatitis]Zhi guo Duan
Department of Urology, Tongji Hospital Affiliated to Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 11:201-3. 2005..cytokine IL-8 and anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 in the expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) of chronic prostatitis (CP) patients and to evaluate the significance of the cytokines to the pathogenesis and diagnosis of CP.
- A role for surfactant protein D in innate immunity of the human prostateRebecca E Oberley
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Prostate 65:241-51. 2005..SP-D protein levels are increased at sites of inflammation in the prostate, suggesting SP-D may also contribute more generally to inflammatory regulation in the prostate...
- ProstatitisW E Lummus
Department of Emergency Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 19:691-707. 2001b>Prostatitis is a common condition that accounts for a significant number of visits to both the emergency department and the urologist. The precise pathogenic mechanism of prostatitis is not known...
- Increased prostate-specific antigen in subclinical prostatitis: the role of aggressiveness and extension of inflammationOnder Yaman
Department of Urology, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urol Int 71:160-4. 2003OBJECTIVES: Subclinical prostatitis is a very frequent histologic finding in pathological examinations of prostate biopsy and prostate surgery material...
- Citrate in expressed prostatic secretions has the feasibility to be used as a useful indicator for the diagnosis of category IIIB prostatitisJun Chen
Department of Urology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, China
Urol Int 78:230-4. 2007..So EPS-citrate was determined to investigate whether EPS-citrate level was also decreased in category IIIB prostatitis and whether it is feasible for EPS-citrate to be used as a diagnostic marker for category IIIB prostatitis.
- Reliability and validity of the National Institutes of Health: Chronic Prostatitis Symptom Index in a Malaysian populationPhaik Yeong Cheah
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Science Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
World J Urol 24:79-87. 2006..and long-term utility of the Chinese, Malay and English versions of the National Institutes of Health--Chronic Prostatitis Symptom Index (NIH-CPSI) in our ethnically diverse population...
- [IFN-gamma and TGF-beta1, levels in the expressed prostatic secretions of patients with chronic abacterial prostatitis]Xie Gang Ding
Department of Urology, Zhongnan Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430071, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 12:982-4. 2006To investigate the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokine IFN-gamma and anti-inflammatory cytokine TGF-beta1, in the expressed prostatic secretion (EPS) of men with chronic abacterial prostatitis and their clinical significance.
- Management of bacterial prostatitis: what's new?Kurt G Naber
Technical University, Munich, Germany
BJU Int 101:7-10. 2008b>Prostatitis is a common healthcare issue affecting 10-14% of men of all ages and ethnicities...
- [Prostatitis syndrome]Florian M E Wagenlehner
Klinik und Poliklinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen
Urologe A 46:W185-96; quiz W197. 2007b>Prostatitis syndrome is a multifactorial disease with a largely unknown etiology. Quite different therapeutic options are therefore recommended...
- Experimental autoimmune prostatitis induces chronic pelvic painCharles N Rudick
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1268-75. 2008Pain is the hallmark of patients with chronic prostatitis (CP) and chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS). Despite numerous hypotheses, the etiology and pathogenesis remain unknown...
- Initial, long-term, and durable responses to terazosin, placebo, or other therapies for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromePhaik Yeong Cheah
University of Science Malaysia School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Penang, Malaysia
Urology 64:881-6. 2004..long-term, and durable response rates to terazosin, placebo, or other therapies in patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome...
- Where do we stand with chronic prostatitis? An updateJay Khastgir
Department of Urology, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH
Hosp Med 64:732-6. 2003Chronic prostatitis remains a difficult management problem, which reflects the fact that its aetiology remains incompletely understood. It is a common condition that is characterized by protracted symptoms and high morbidity...
- Examination of the relationship between symptoms of prostatitis and histological inflammation: baseline data from the REDUCE chemoprevention trialJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 178:896-900; discussion 900-1. 2007Symptoms of abacterial chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome are considered to be associated with prostate inflammation...
- Role of alpha1-blockers in chronic prostatitis syndromesJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
BJU Int 101:11-6. 2008Category III chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) is the most commonly diagnosed prostatitis syndrome...
- Acute bacterial prostatitis and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: andrological implicationsW Weidner
Department of Urology and Paediatric Urology, University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Andrologia 40:105-12. 2008There is a consensus on the diagnostic management of bacterial prostatitis (acute and chronic)...
- [Imaging of normal, hyperplastic and inflammatory prostate gland]N Grenier
Service d imagerie diagnostique et thérapeutique de l adulte, Groupe Hospitalier Pellegrin, Place Amelie Raba Leon, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
J Radiol 87:165-87. 2006..Sonography plays a major role in diagnosis, pre-therapeutic evaluation and follow-up of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. The role of imaging in inflammatory disorders is more questionable...
- Management of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: an evidence-based approachJordan D Dimitrakov
Harvard Urological Diseases Research Center, Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Urology 67:881-8. 2006
- Correlation between ultrasound alterations of the preprostatic sphincter and symptoms in patients with chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndromeMarco Dellabella
Department of Urology and Division of Urology, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti Umberto I.-G. M. Lancisi-G. Salesi, Polytechnic University of the Marche Region, School of Medicine, Ancona, Italy
J Urol 176:112-8. 2006PURPOSE: We investigated ultrasound alterations of the preprostatic sphincter in patients with chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism in chronic pelvic pain syndrome patientsE D Arisan
Molecular Biology and Genetics Department, University of Halic, Istanbul, Turkey
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 9:426-31. 2006..Our findings lead to the suggestion that oxidative disorder-linked medical health problems can be associated with genetic risk factors such as polymorphisms...
- [Classification, etiology, diagnosis and treatment of prostatitis. Other types of prostatitis. Acute and chronic prostatitis]Juan Fernando Jimenez-Cruz
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:47-56. 2005b>Prostatitis is a highly prevalent nosologic entity and hence has an enormous financial impact on health systems as well as negative repercussions on patients' quality of life...
- Role of bacteria in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeVi N Hua
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Tarry 16-703, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Curr Urol Rep 6:300-6. 2005Throughout the past century, we have refined our understanding of prostatitis, moving from using a primarily clinical definition to considering it as a complex inflammatory condition...
- Multimodal therapy for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeDaniel A Shoskes
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Department of Kidney Transplantation, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Curr Urol Rep 6:296-9. 2005Category III chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome is a syndrome rather than a specific disease and the cause can be multifactorial. In clinical practice, monotherapy often has proven ineffective...
- Re: How does the pre-massage and post-massage 2-glass test compare to the meares-stamey 4-glass test in men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome? J. C. Nickel, D. Shoskes, Y. Wang, R. B. Alexander, J. E. Fowler, jr., S. Zeitlin, M. P. O'LVittorio Magri
J Urol 180:1571-2; author reply 1572. 2008
- [Changes of seminal parameters, zinc concentration and antibacterial activity in patients with non-inflammatory chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome]Hui Zhao
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 14:530-2. 2008To investigate the seminal parameters, zinc concentration and antibacterial activity in patients with non- inflammatory chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS).
- [MR aspect of the prostate in CPPS patients (chronic pelvic pain syndrome)]B Wiesinger
Abt für Radiologische Diagnostik, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Hoppe Seylerstrasse 3, Tubingen
Rofo 180:621-30. 2008To describe typical morphological patterns of abacterial prostatitis using magnetic resonance imagine (MRI) in chronic pelvic pain syndrome patients including spectroscopy.
- Anti-nanobacterial therapy for men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and prostatic stones: preliminary experienceDaniel A Shoskes
Department of Kidney Transplantation, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida 33331, USA
J Urol 173:474-7. 2005Category III chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS) is a common debilitating condition of unclear etiology. Patients often have prostatic calcifications but a link to symptoms is controversial...
- [Psychosomatic aspects of the chronic pelvic pain syndrome]H J Berberich
Urologische Praxis Frankfurt
Urologe A 43:254-60. 2004Epidemiologic data have demonstrated the significance of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPSS) for the urological practice...
- [Prostatitis]Henry Botto
Service d Urologie, Hopital Foch, 92151 Suresnes
Rev Prat 53:1785-9. 2003A very frequent disease, prostatitis is always infectious in the acute form and rarely so in the chronic form (less than 10%). The management of acute prostatitis requires simplicity and efficiency...
- [Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome]Takao Ikeuchi
Department of Urology, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 60:446-51. 2002
- [Four-glass or two glass test for chronic prostatitis]D Seiler
Urologische Klinik, Universitatsspital Zurich, Switzerland
Urologe A 42:238-42. 2003Chronic pelvic pain syndrome is still an important clinical problem. The NIH prostatitis classification introduced in 1998 for diagnosis and treatment measures is based on extended microbiological analysis of urine and expressed prostate ..
- [Prostate massage with unwanted consequences. Case report]S Buse
Klinik für Urologie, Kantonspital St Gallen, Switzerland
Urologe A 42:78-9. 2003We report a case in which a regular prostate massage (chronic prostatitis) turned into a life-threatening event. After the prostate massage, an enormous periprostatic hemorrhage developed...
- Prostatitis: the role of antibiotic treatmentF M E Wagenlehner
Urologic Clinic, Hospital St Elisabeth, St Elisabeth Strasse 23, 94315 Straubing, Germany
World J Urol 21:105-8. 2003The prostatitis syndrome is commonly found in urologic practice and is classified according to the NIDDK/NIH, in which bacterial prostatitis (acute and chronic) is distinguished from chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)...
- Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain pyndrome): seminal markers of inflammationMartin Ludwig
Department for Urology and Pediatric Urology, , Klinikstrasse 29, 35385 Giessen, Germany
World J Urol 21:82-5. 2003The new prostatitis classification proposes the inclusion of seminal leukocytes in the diagnosis of inflammatory chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)...
- Application of real-time polymerase chain reaction technology to detect prostatic bacteria in patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeSatoshi Takahashi
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, 112-GU, VA Puget Sound Health Care System1660 South Columbian Way, WA 98108-1597, Seattle, USA
World J Urol 21:100-4. 2003To investigate the potential association between prostate infection and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS), we used molecular approaches described in previous reports...
- Counting leukocytes in expressed prostatic secretions from patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeJohn N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98108-1597, USA
Urology 62:30-4. 2003OBJECTIVES: The evaluation of WBCs in EPS is recommended for classifying patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) but no agreement has been reached on the optimal method...
- Prostatitis revisited: new definitions, new approachesJohn N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Section of Urology 112 GU, 1660 South Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 17:395-409. 2003b>Prostatitis syndromes represent an important health care problem resulting in considerable morbidity and expenditure of health care resources...
- Alfuzosin treatment for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot studyAare Mehik
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Oulu University, Oulu, Finland
Urology 62:425-9. 2003..examine the long-term efficacy of alfuzosin compared with placebo and standard therapy in patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS), because alpha-blockers have been suggested for the treatment of CP/CPPS...
- The use of alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists in lower urinary tract symptoms: beyond benign prostatic hyperplasiaJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Urology 62:34-41. 2003..have also been used empirically in other types of lower urinary tract dysfunction (LUTD), such as chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and neurogenic LUTD (NLUTD)...
- Seminal fluid analysis in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeJ N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Andrologia 35:266-70. 2003b>Prostatitis is a common cause of morbidity among adult men. There are more than 2,000,000 doctor visits per year in the United States, approximately half to urologists (Collins et al., 1998, J Urol 159:1224; Roberts et al...
- [Application of real-time polymerase chain reaction technology to detect prostatic bacteria in patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome]Satoshi Takahashi
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Jpn J Antibiot 56:338-9. 2003
- Seminal oxidative stress in patients with chronic prostatitisJ M Potts
Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Andrologia 35:304-8. 2003b>Prostatitis has been associated with abnormal semen parameters and may be the cause of infertility in some patients. Sperm antibodies and impaired sperm motility have been observed in the semen of patients with prostatitis...
- Herpes simplex virus, cytomegalovirus, and papillomavirus DNA are not found in patients with chronic pelvic pain syndrome undergoing radical prostatectomy for localized prostate cancerMarkku J Leskinen
Department of Urology, , , Finland
Urology 61:397-401. 2003..was considered were evaluated for symptoms of CPPS using the National Institutes of Health Chronic-Prostatitis Symptom Index. Ten patients with moderate to severe symptoms and 10 without symptoms were included in the study...
- VIRULENCE FACTORS OF CHLAMYDIAEPRISCILLA WYRICK; Fiscal Year: 2009..in the USA and worldwide, of bacterially acquired sexually transmitted diseases and their sequelae, including prostatitis, epididymitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and sterility...
- Anti-GM1b IgM for Detection of Localized Prostate CancerMepur Ravindranath; Fiscal Year: 2005..Moreover, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostatitis can falsely elevate serum PSA...
- Energy Balance-Related Hormones & Prostate Cancer Incidence & ProgressionEdward Giovannucci; Fiscal Year: 2010..to SNS activity that disassociates high energy intake from weight gain and which is associated with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome prostatitis are at increased risk of prostate cancer...
- Rho-Modifying Cytotoxic Necrotizing Factor of E. coliALISON O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., cystitis or pyelonephritis, or acute prostatitis. In fact, the cnf1 locus and a hly operon are co-transcribed and co-regulated from a prototypic uropathogenic E...
- Role of E. coli Virulence Factors in Chronic Prostate Infection and InflammationWALTER HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2007Estimates are that the various forms of prostatitis affect 9-11% of adult men at any one time, and up to 16% of men have reported having prostatitis symptoms...
- Rho-Modifying Cytotoxic Necrotizing Factor of E. coliALISON DAVIS O apos BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., cystitis or pyelonephritis, or acute prostatitis. In fact, the cnf1 locus and a hly operon are co-transcribed and co-regulated from a prototypic uropathogenic E...
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF PATHOGENS IN OTITIS MEDIA BY PCRGarth Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2002..Biofilms have been implicated in causing contamination of implantable devices, "sterile" arthritis, and prostatitis. Biofilm formation results from the coordinated expression of sets of genes that are induced upon bacterial ..
- Alternative Therapies for BPH, Multiethnic VariablilitySteven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2004..forms of BPH resulting in different rates of progression and differential response to therapy? and, D) whether concomitant prostate conditions such as prostatitis are effected by phytotherapeutic intervention for BPH?
- MULTISPECTRAL BACTERIAL IDENTIFICATIONSTEVEN ROBLES; Fiscal Year: 2002..Using this integrated identification protocol, bacteria that may be associated with chronic conditions (e.g., prostatitis and vaginosis) will be identified first by analyzing their 16S rDNA sequences and then by visualizing them with ..
- VIRULENCE FACTORS OF CHLAMYDIAEPRISCILLA WYRICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..in the USA and worldwide, of bacterially-acquired sexually transmitted diseases and their sequelae, including prostatitis, epididymitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and sterility...
- ATRAZINE: IMPACT ON ENVIRONMENTAL AND PUBLIC HEALTHTyrone Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Several studies have suggested that atrazine induces mammary tumors, prostate cancer, and prostatitis in rodents in addition to other adverse effects on reproduction...
- Initiation and Regulation of Chronic Autoimmune Prostate InflammationTimothy L Ratliff; Fiscal Year: 2010..non-bacterial inflammation of the prostate is associated with multiple prostate diseases including chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP-CPPS), benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and prostate cancer...
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research NetworkChristopher Payne; Fiscal Year: 2007..group at Stanford will work in parallel with the centers conducting trials for investigation of chronic prostatitis. A simultaneous application for that effort is being submitted. This is a critical juncture for IC research...
- Healing Chronic Wounds by Controlling Microbial BiofilmPhilip Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2007..Futhermore, the results of this research may impact the treatment of other biofilm-related diseases, such as osteomyelitis, endocarditis, prostatitis, otitis media, and sinusitis.
- Healing Chronic Wounds by Controlling Microbial BiofilmPhilip Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the results of this research may impact the treatment of other biofilm-related diseases, such as osteomyelitis, endocarditis, prostatitis, otitis media, and sinusitis.
- Zona Pellucida - Immunopathological StudyKenneth Tung; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the past 5 years, we have studied suppression of autoimmune ovarian disease (AOD) and autoimmune prostatitis (EAR) by the polyclonal CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells (Treg)...
- Zona Pellucida - Immunopathological StudyKenneth S K Tung; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the past 5 years, we have studied suppression of autoimmune ovarian disease (AOD) and autoimmune prostatitis (EAR) by the polyclonal CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells (Treg)...
- Zona Pellucida - Immunopathological StudyKenneth Tung; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the past 5 years, we have studied suppression of autoimmune ovarian disease (AOD) and autoimmune prostatitis (EAR) by the polyclonal CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells (Treg)...
- MR Based Molecular Imaging of Prostate CancerJohn Kurhanewicz; Fiscal Year: 2009..increasing Gleason score, prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN), prostatic inflammatory atrophy (PIA) and prostatitis. (2) The dramatic decreases in prostate citrate levels with prostate cancer evolution, progression, and in ..