Summary: A circumscribed collection of fluid, especially a collection of fluid in the tunica vaginalis of the testicle or along the spermatic cord. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications132 found, 100 shown here
- Filariasis in the Igwun River Basin, Nigeria: an epidemiological and clinical study with a note on the vectorsJ K Udonsi
Department of Zoology, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 82:75-82. 1988..4% of clinical cases were inflammatory, and lympho-obstructive manifestations consisted of 23.8% chyluria, 12.7% hydrocele and 19.1% elephantiasis. In L...
- Does color Doppler sonography improve the clinical assessment of patients with acute scrotum?Pietro Pepe
Urology Unit, Cannizzaro Hospital, Catania, Italy
Eur J Radiol 60:120-4. 2006..Our experience concerning the use of color Doppler sonography (CDS) in the differential diagnosis of acute scrotum is reported...
- [Lymphedema of male external genitalia: a retrospective study of 33 cases]S Vignes
Unité de lymphologie, hôpital Cognacq Jay, Site Broussais, Paris
Ann Dermatol Venereol 132:21-5. 2005..The aim of this retrospective study was to describe the main characteristics and treatment of male external genitalia lymphedema...
- Impact of long-term ivermectin (Mectizan) on Wuchereria bancrofti and Mansonella perstans infections in Burkina Faso: strategic and policy implicationsD Kyelem
Lymphatic Filariasis Programme, Ministry of Health, 03 BP 7009, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:827-38. 2003..bancrofti, and by clinical examination for hydrocele (if male) and lymphoedema...
- Scrotal edema secondary to fluid imbalance in patients on continuous peritoneal dialysisMuniru Adeniyi
Section of Nephrology, Raymond G Murphy VA Medical Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
Adv Perit Dial 25:68-71. 2009..After repair of a ventral hernia and of a communicating hydrocele, he started continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD), plus 2 daytime CAPD exchanges...
- Bancroftian filariasis in Kwale District of Kenya. I. Clinical and parasitological survey in an endemic communityB B Estambale
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 88:145-51. 1994..Approximately 16.5% of the males aged > or = 15 years had hydrocele and 2.4% of the population had elephantiasis...
- Protean clinical manifestations and diagnostic challenges of human brucellosis in adults: 16 years' experience in an endemic areaBasappa G Mantur
Department of Microbiology, BLDEA s Shri B M Patil Medical College, Bijapur 586 103, Karnataka, India
J Med Microbiol 55:897-903. 2006..8 % of the patients (arthritis excluded): this included the unusual complications of hydrocele (two cases), Stevens-Johnson syndrome (one case) and urinary tract infection (one case)...
- Situation analysis in a large urban area of India, prior to launching a programme of mass drug administrations to eliminate lymphatic filariasisK D Ramaiah
Vector Control Research Centre Indian Council of Medical Research, Medical Complex, Indira Nagar, Pondicherry 605 006, India
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:243-52. 2005..that LF was not viewed as a major pubic-health problem in the study area, even though cases of elephantiasis and hydrocele were detected in 2%-8% and 7%-20% of the households investigated...
- Urology in pre-civil war CharlestonJ Nathaniel Hamilton
Department of Urology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
J Urol 180:477-80. 2008....
- Sonographic differential diagnosis of acute scrotum: real-time whirlpool sign, a key sign of torsionS Boopathy Vijayaraghavan
Sonoscan Ultrasonic Scan Centre, Coimbatore, India
J Ultrasound Med 25:563-74. 2006..The purpose of this study was to prospectively investigate the role of high-resolution and color Doppler sonography in the differential diagnosis of acute scrotum and testicular torsion in particular...
- The normal and abnormal scrotum in children: evaluation with color Doppler sonographyG O Atkinson
Department of Radiology Pediatrics, Egleston Children s Hospital, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322 1101
AJR Am J Roentgenol 158:613-7. 1992..epididymitis (five patients), epididymo-orchitis (one patient), yolk sac tumor of the testis (one patient), hydrocele (one patient), and local reaction to an insect bite (one patient)...
- The onchocerciasis focus at Kinsuka/Kinshasa (Republic of Zaire) in 1985. II. Parasitological and clinical aspectsM C Henry
Service de Parasitologie Projet Institut de Medecine Tropicale, Antwerpen, , Zaire
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 84:493-502. 1990..Cutaneous lesions were mild. Lymphatic complications such as adenolymphocele, hydrocele and elephantiasis of the lower limbs were observed in 18% of the adults...
- Scrotal pathology in pediatrics with sonographic imagingM M Munden
Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, USA
Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 29:185-205. 2000Scrotal pathology in pediatrics ranges from the more benign hydrocele and varicocele to acute testicular torsion requiring emergent surgery...
- Laparoscopic completely extraperitoneal repair of inguinal hernia in children: a single-institute experience with 1,257 repairs compared with cut-down herniorrhaphyMasao Endo
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Saitama City Hospital, 2460, Mimuro, Midori ku, Saitama shi, 336 8522, Japan
Surg Endosc 23:1706-12. 2009..We developed a unique technique to achieve completely extraperitoneal ligation of PPV without any skip areas under laparoscopic control. This report introduces our technique and results compared with the cut-down herniorrhaphy...
- Soluble cellular adhesion molecules, selectins, VEGF and endothelin-1 in patients with Wuchereria bancrofti infection and association with clinical statusP Esterre
Immunology Unit, Institut de Recherches Medicales Malarde, Papeete 98713 Tahiti French Polynesia
Parasite Immunol 27:9-16. 2005..concentrations of soluble (s-) L selectin (CD62L) were noticed in sera of of patients with chronic conditions (hydrocele and elephantiasis)...
- US of the tunica vaginalis testis: anatomic relationships and pathologic conditionsVictoria Garriga
Department of Radiology, Hospital General de Granollers, Fundació Hospital Asil de Granollers, Granollers, Spain
Radiographics 29:2017-32. 2009..of the tunica vaginalis, such as complete or partial patency of the processus vaginalis, spermatic cord hydrocele, and inguinoscrotal hernia...
- Impact of seven rounds of mass administration of diethylcarbamazine and ivermectin on prevalence of chronic lymphatic filariasis in south IndiaJ Yuvaraj
Vector Control Research Centre, Pondicherry, India
Trop Med Int Health 13:737-42. 2008..To evaluate the impact of seven rounds of mass administration of diethylcarbamazine (DEC) and ivermectin on the prevalence of chronic lymphatic filariasis and to compare it with that observed in a placebo arm in a community-level trial...
- Immunofluorescence distribution of actin-associated proteins in human seminiferous tubules of adolescent testes, normal and pathologicG Santoro
Department of Biomorphology, University of Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 23:369-75. 2000..The study group consisted of 8 biopsies from normal testes (i.e., adolescents operated on for hydrocele or inguinal hernia) and 20 biopsies from pathological testes (i.e...
- Comparison of magnetic resonance urography with ultrasound studies in detection of fetal urogenital anomaliesAbdol Mohammad Kajbafzadeh
Pediatric Urology Research Center, Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Pediatr Urol 4:32-9. 2008..We assessed the potential of magnetic resonance urography (MRU) in the evaluation of different urogenital anomalies in fetuses when ultrasound study was equivocal...
- [Epidemiological characteristics and control of filariasis in Hunan Province]Q J Li
Sanitary and Anti Epidemic Station of Hunan Province
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 8:134-7. 1990..64% (180,046/3,194,102), and the incidence of advanced filariasis, including elephantiasis and hydrocele was 3.29%. The number of filariasis patients in the whole province was estimated to be 1...
- Bancroftian filariasis in Kwale District of Kenya. III. Quantification of the IgE response in selected individuals from an endemic communityB B Estambale
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:287-95. 1995..categories, based on the presence/absence of microfilaraemia, the presence/absence of acute or chronic (hydrocele or elephantiasis) clinical manifestations, and age...
- Lymphatic filariasis in the Karonga district of northern Malawi: a prevalence surveyB M M Ngwira
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:137-44. 2002..7%) were identified as cases of hydrocele. Lymphoedema was found in seven (1.0%) of these adult males and in 29 (3...
- Pathogenesis of filarial hydrocele: risk associated with intrascrotal nodules caused by death of adult Wuchereria bancroftiJoaquim Noroes
Servico de Urologia, Departamento de Cirurgia, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:561-6. 2003Although testicular hydrocele is the most common clinical manifestation of bancroftian filariasis, its pathogenesis is poorly understood, as is its relationship to inflammatory scrotal nodules following death of adult Wuchereria ..
- Polyorchidism: a three-case report and review of the literatureM Savas
Department of Urology, Harran University, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Andrologia 42:57-61. 2010..The majority of reported cases are asymptomatic patients, others present with cryptorchidism, hydrocele, varicocele, epididymitis, infertility, testicular malignancy and testicular torsion...
- Filariasis: new drugs and new opportunities for lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasisAchim Hoerauf
Institute of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Bonn Medical Centre, Bonn, Germany
Curr Opin Infect Dis 21:673-81. 2008..This review details the recent indications for this new treatment, focussing on regimes for individual drug administration...
- Status of lymphatic filariasis in Lucknow District, Uttar PradeshSukhvir Singh
Dept of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Communicable Diseases, 22 Shamnath Marg, Delhi 110054
J Commun Dis 41:39-44. 2009..7%. In all, 175 individuals had disease manifestations of LF. Out of 108 males, 81 had hydrocele(75%). Disease rate was similar in males (4.7%) and females (4.8%). The mean mf density was 9...
- Urban lymphatic filariasis in central NigeriaA Terranella
Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 100:163-72. 2006..Over a 1-month period, selected providers in these clinics sought hydrocele, lymphoedema, elephantiasis, or acute adenolymphangitis among the patients seeking treatment...
- Role of Doppler ultrasonography in the triage of acute scrotum in the emergency departmentYael Yagil
Department of Medical Imaging, Rambam Health Care Campus, PO Box 9602, Ha Aliya St 8, 31096 Haifa, Israel
J Ultrasound Med 29:11-21. 2010..The purpose of this study was to examine the triage role of scrotal Doppler ultrasonography (DUS) as the primary preoperative diagnostic tool in patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) with acute scrotum...
- Ectopic adrenal cortex tissue: an incidental finding during inguinoscrotal operations in pediatric patientsSabeur Ketata
Department of Urology, CHU Habib Bourguiba, Sfax, Tunisia
Urol Int 81:316-9. 2008..The aim of the present study was to assess the occurrence of ectopic remnants of adrenal cortex tissue encountered in pediatric patients who underwent groin surgical explorations...
- Results and complications of adolescent varicocele repair with intraoperative sodium morrhuate sclerotherapyBrett Lebed
Department of Urology, Temple University Children s Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Urol 180:1837-41. 2008..We report our experience with 3 varicocele ligation procedures in concordance with sclerotherapy in adolescent patients...
- Cryptorchidism, open processus vaginalis, and associated hernia: laparoscopic approach to the internal inguinal ringC Radmayr
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Urol 36:631-4. 1999..An associated inguinal hernia due to an open processus vaginalis is reported in 26% of cryptorchidism cases. Simultaneous laparoscopic orchidopexy and herniorrhaphy are therefore the next logical step...
- Rapid assessment for lymphatic filariasis in central Nigeria: a comparison of the immunochromatographic card test and hydrocele rates in an area of high endemicityAbel Eigege
The Carter Center, Jos, Nigeria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:643-6. 2003..Our study was conducted to determine if village-based hydrocele surveys could be used to supplement the ICT surveys in the mapping activities...
- Bancroftian filariasis: analysis of infection and disease in five endemic communities of north-eastern TanzaniaD W Meyrowitsch
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund, Denmark
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:653-63. 1995..b>Hydrocele was the most common clinical manifestation (with a prevalence of 30.2%-40...
- Seminoma of testis masquerading as orchitis in an adult with paraplegia: proposed measures to avoid delay in diagnosing testicular tumours in spinal cord injury patientsSubramanian Vaidyanathan
Regional Spinal Injuries Centre, District General Hospital, Southport, PR8 6PN, UK
ScientificWorldJournal 8:149-56. 2008..Ultrasound examination of the testis 4 weeks later showed a moderate hydrocele, enlargement and altered echogenicity of both the epididymis and testis, and features of mass-like lesions ..
- Safety and efficacy of intratesticular injection of vital dyes for lymphatic preservation during varicocelectomyJohn H Makari
Division of Urology, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Urol 178:1026-30; discussion 1030. 2007The most common complications of varicocelectomy include failure and hydrocele formation. Various surgical approaches have been used to minimize complications and guarantee durable results...
- A 16-year follow-up study on bancroftian filariasis in three communities of north-eastern TanzaniaD W Meyrowitsch
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund, Denmark
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:665-75. 1995..observed in any of the three villages, with respect to total or age-specific prevalences of microfilaraemia, hydrocele in males aged > or = 20 years or leg elephantiasis in all subjects aged > or = 20 years, when the results ..
- The global programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis: health impact after 8 yearsEric A Ottesen
Lymphatic Filariasis Support Center, Task Force for Child Survival and Development, Decatur, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e317. 2008....
- Laparoscopic liver biopsy using cup-shaped punch biopsy forceps and argon beam coagulator in childrenTadao Okada
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita ku, Kita 15, Nishi 7, Sapporo, 060 8638, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 23:947-51. 2007..There were also no death cases, and only one complication (hydrocele testis) was recorded...
- Maternal exposure to a brominated flame retardant and genitourinary conditions in male offspringChanley M Small
Department of Epidemiology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1175-9. 2009..Polybrominated biphenyl (PBB), a brominated flame retardant, is one such suspected endocrine disruptor...
- Plasma vascular endothelial growth Factor-A (VEGF-A) and VEGF-A gene polymorphism are associated with hydrocele development in lymphatic filariasisAlexander Yaw Debrah
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:601-8. 2007b>Hydrocele is a build-up of fluid in the scrotal regions of a proportion of men infected with the filarial nematode Wuchereria bancrofti...
- Reduction in levels of plasma vascular endothelial growth factor-A and improvement in hydrocele patients by targeting endosymbiotic Wolbachia sp. in Wuchereria bancrofti with doxycyclineAlexander Y Debrah
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Hospital Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:956-63. 2009The treatment for hydrocele is expensive, invasive surgery-hydrocelectomy. A drug that could prevent or improve this condition could replace or supplement hydrocelectomy...
- [The acute scrotum]R H Ringert
Klinik für Urologie der Georg August Universität Göttingen
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 92:343-8. 1998..spermatic cord torsion, torsion of testicular appendages, epididymitis, orchitis, incarcerated scrotal hernia, hydrocele, varicocele, trauma, tumor and testicular pain in vasculitis syndromes such as Schoenlein-Hennoch purpura...
- The relationship between infection and disease in Wuchereria bancrofti infection in GhanaJ O Gyapong
Health Research Unit, Ministry of Health, Accra, Ghana
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 92:390-2. 1998..a negative association between infection status and lymphoedema/elephantiasis, but a positive association with hydrocele; however, the intensity of infection was negatively associated with both elephantiasis and hydrocele...
- [Cystic lymphangioma of the spermatic cord in old man: a case report and review of the literature]Du jian Li
Department of Urology, Branch of No 1 People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200081, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 13:815-7. 2007..To investigate the clinical and pathological features, diagnosis and treatment of cystic lymphangioma of the spermatic cord...
- Incidence and management of hydrocele following varicocele surgery in childrenCiro Esposito
Pediatric Surgery Units, Magna Graecia University, Catanzaro, Italy
J Urol 171:1271-3. 2004b>Hydrocele seems to be the most frequent complication in children who undergo surgery for varicocele and the issue of the optimal management of hydrocele remains controversial...
- Community's knowledge and perceptions about filarial elephantiasis and hydrocele in coastal Orissa, IndiaK Rath
Division of Epidemiology, Regional Medical Research Centre, Indian Council of Medical Research, Bhubaneswar 751 023, India
Asia Pac J Public Health 19:28-33. 2007..assesses people's knowledge and perceptions on transmission, prevention and eradication of elephantiasis and hydrocele, common manifestations of chronic lymphatic filariasis (LF)...
- Management of chronic testalgia by microsurgical testicular denervationAxel Heidenreich
Klinik für Urologie and Kinderurologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Eur Urol 41:392-7. 2002..Success rates of conservative and surgical measures including epididymectomy and orchiectomy rarely exceed 55-73% and 10-40%, respectively. We report our experience on microsurgical testicular denervation as therapeutic option in CTP...
- Total calcium content of sacs associated with inguinal hernia, hydrocele or undescended testis reflects differences dictated by programmed cell deathF Cahit Tanyel
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Children s Hospital, TR 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Urol Int 70:211-5. 2003Inguinal hernia and hydrocele are suggested to result from the persistence of smooth muscle (SM) which should undergo programmed cell death (PCD) after presenting transiently to propel the testis...
- Scrotal calculiHakan Artas
Department of Radiology, Elazig Training and Research Hospital, Elazig, Turkey
J Ultrasound Med 26:1775-9. 2007..The aim of our series was to examine the etiopathogenesis of scrotal calculi, which were detected incidentally in various age groups, with reference to the medical literature...
- Hidradenitis suppurativa: a disease with male predominance in TunisiaAmel Mebazaa
Dermatology Department, La Rabta Hospital, rue jabbari 1007, Tunis
Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat 18:165-72. 2009..The diagnosis is primarily clinical, based on the presence of both sinus tracts and abscesses with a characteristic distribution...
- Evaluation of extracellular matrix protein composition in sacs associated with undescended testis, hydrocele, inguinal hernia, and peritoneumPelin Oguzkurt
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 70:346-50. 2007....
- Prevalence and pathology of camel filariasis in IranA Oryan
Department of Pathology, Veterinary School, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Parasitol Res 103:1125-31. 2008..macrophages and fibroblasts, parenchymal degeneration, and necrosis and, in some cases, with hematoma and hydrocele formation...
- Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck: value of radiological diagnosisRanjeet Jagdale
Department of Radiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
J Radiol Case Rep 6:18-22. 2012b>Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck (cyst of the canal of Nuck) is the female homologue of hydrocele of the spermatic cord in males and is a rarely encountered entity, mostly diagnosed on the operating table at the time of suspected inguinal ..
- Morvan syndrome: after scrotal sac drainage and chemical instillation in hydroceleSanjay Sharma
Department of Neurology, Ramkrishna Care Hospital, Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
Neurol India 61:300-2. 2013..the occurrence of Morvan syndrome (MoS) after scrotal tap and injection of sclerosing agent for the treatment of hydrocele in 5 male. The mean age was 43...
- Autonomic nervous system appears to play a role in obliteration of processus vaginalisF C Tanyel
The Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Hernia 8:149-54. 2004..Sacs from hernia, hydrocele, or undescended testis reveal alterations in Ca(2+) contents...
- Inguinal approach in adult hydrocele surgery: preliminary randomized studyKadir Ceylan
Department of Urology, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Adv Ther 23:159-62. 2006This prospective study compared the effects of scrotal and inguinal approaches in hydrocele repair...
- Female hydrocele of the canal of Nuck: a case reportFrederic De Meulder
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10 B 2650, Edegem Antwerp, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 165:193-4. 2006..When the processus vaginalis fails to close, it can result in a hernia or hydrocele, both in women and men. Female hydrocele of the canal of Nuck is uncommon...
- Epididymal anomalies associated with patent processus vaginalis in hydrocele and cryptorchidismChang Hee Han
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 17:660-2. 2002The epididymal anomalies and patent processus vaginalis are frequently seen in patients with cryptorchidism or hydrocele. We performed a prospective study on the relationship between the epididymal anomalies and the patency of the ..
- Hydrocele of the canal of NuckProsanta Kumar Bhattacharjee
Department of Surgery, RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata
J Indian Med Assoc 104:150-1. 2006b>Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck is an uncomon and infrequently reported finding in women. A 24-year-old female presented with a painless left groin swelling which was soft, cystic, non-tender with 7.5 cm x 5 cm in measurement...
- Hernias and hydrocelesLane S Palmer
Departments of Urology and Pediatrics, Hofstra North Shore LIJ School of Medicine, and Department of Pediatric Urology, Cohen Children s Medical Center of New York, Long Island, NY
Pediatr Rev 34:457-64; quiz 464. 2013..The inguinal hernia, communicating hydrocele, hydrocele of the spermatic cord, and scrotal hydrocele should be differentiated based on a history and physical ..
- Hydrocele on the web: an evaluation of Internet-based informationGregory J Nason
Department of Paediatric Surgery and Urology, Our Lady s Children s Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland
Scand J Urol 47:152-7. 2013To evaluate the quality of health-based information available to patients and their parents on the Internet regarding hydrocele, a common paediatric condition, an Internet search was performed and a questionnaire distributed.
- Urological complications following inguinal hernioplastyGaetano Gulino
Clinica Urologica, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 84:105-10. 2012..damage, immediate postoperative complications as ischaemic orchitis, urinary retention, urinary tract infection, hydrocele or scrotal haematoma and bacterial orchitis, or long-term complications as chronic orchialgia, testis atrophy, ..
- Blue patent lymphography prevents hydrocele after laparoscopic varicocelectomy: 10 years of experienceSalvatore Fabio Chiarenza
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Saint Bortolo Hospital, Vicenza, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 22:930-3. 2012..We sought to determine the impact of lymphatic preservation on hydrocele formation and the success of varicocelectomy.
- Microsurgical subinguinal varicocelectomy in children, adolescents, and adults: surgical anatomy and anatomically justified techniquePetros Mirilas
Centers for Surgical Anatomy and Technique, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Androl 33:338-49. 2012Microsurgical varicocelectomy has become the gold standard in adults because of low recurrence and postoperative hydrocele rates; it is increasingly applied in children and adolescents...
- Fournier's gangrene developing secondary to infected hydrocele: A unique clinical scenarioUmran Sarwar
Department of Plastic Surgery, Salisbury District Hospital, Odstock Road, Salisbury SP2 8BJ, United Kingdom
Urol Ann 4:131-4. 2012We report the first case of Fournier's gangrene (FG) developing secondary to an infected hydrocele worldwide. We present a case report with a brief overview of the literature relating to FG and its aetiology, diagnosis and management...
- Immunocytochemical localization of antigens recognized by human antisera in infective larvae of Wuchereria bancroftiLânia F Silva
Departamento de Patologia e Biologia Celular, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, FIOCRUZ, Av Moraes Rego s n, Recife CEP 50670 420, Brazil
J Parasitol 89:501-6. 2003..microfilaremic with different microfilaria (mf) densities (1-100, 101-500, and >1,000 mf/ml); (2) chronic with hydrocele or lymphedema; and (3) with no evidence of microfilaremia or clinical filariasis but residing in an endemic area...
- Malignant mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis testis: a malignancy associated with recurrent epididymitis?Ching Heng Yen
Division of Urological Surgery, Department of Surgery, Song Shan Armed Forces General Hospital, NO, 131, Jiankang RD, SongShan Dist, Taipei City, 105, Taiwan
World J Surg Oncol 10:238. 2012A 53-year-old Taiwanese male had several episodes of left epididymitis with hydrocele refractory to antibiotic treatment...
- Abdominoscrotal hydrocele in infancy with incorporated epididymal tissueJames Park
Department of Urology, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Pediatr Urol 6:198-200. 2010Abdominoscrotal hydrocele is a rare condition where a large hydrocele is connected to a preperitoneal space through the inguinal canal...
- Mini-scar inguinal herniotomy in selected children: comparative analysis of safety, effectiveness, and parents' satisfactionAyman Al-Jazaeri
Department of Surgey, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 22:97-101. 2012..A comparative analysis of safety, efficacy, and parental attitudes between mini-scar inguinal herniotomy (MSIH) and COIH was performed...
- Ondansetron use during pregnancy: a case seriesE Ferreira
Pharmacy Department, CHU Sainte Justine, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol 19:e1-e10. 2012..intrauterine growth retardation [IUGR] for each twin and a in a single pregnancy, a transient tachypnea, a mild hydrocele, and an extrarenal pelvis)...
- Meconium periorchitis: intrauterine diagnosis and neonatal outcome: case reports and review of the literatureR H Regev
Neonatal Department, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba 44821, Israel
J Perinatol 29:585-7. 2009..correctly during fetal life and the ultrasonographic diagnoses reported vary from no diagnosis to hematoma or hydrocele. It is usually diagnosed clinically during the first year of life when a scrotal mass is an incidental finding...
- Wuchereria bancrofti in Kwale District, Coastal Kenya: patterns of focal distribution of infection, clinical manifestations and anti-filarial IgG responsivenessC N Wamae
Centre for Microbiology Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Parasitology 116:173-82. 1998..9% than in Mvumoni, 20.5% (P < 0.001). Hydrocele, funiculitis, lymphangitis and lymphadenitis were also significantly more common in Kilore than in Mvumoni...
- [Results of the percutaneous retrograde embolization as the first choice in the treatment of varicocele]J Gonzálvez Piñera
Servicio de Cirugia Pediatrica, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Albacete, Albacete
Cir Pediatr 22:128-33. 2009..No child presented hydrocele after radiological procedures. Embolisation was accomplished succesfully at the first attempt in 35 (68...
- Smooth muscle cell differentiation in the processus vaginalis of children with hernia or hydroceleV K Mouravas
Department of Pediatric Surgery, General Hospital Papageorgiou, Thessaloniki, Greece
Hernia 14:187-91. 2010Incomplete obliteration of the processus vaginalis (PV) in children with inguinal hernia or hydrocele has recently been proposed to relate to smooth muscle cell (SMC) persistence...
- [Tridimensional ultrasonography. First clinical experience with dedicated devices and review of the literature]F Cesarani
Dipartimento di Discipline Medico Chiruriche, Universita degli Studi, Torino
Radiol Med 97:256-64. 1999..We report our preliminary clinical experience with three-dimensional ultrasound (3D US) in abdominal and small parts imaging, comparing the yield of 3D versus 2D US and through a literature review...
- Effect of hydrocele on appendix testis in childrenTamás Józsa
Department of Pediatrics, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
Asian J Androl 11:741-5. 2009The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of an elevated hydrostatic pressure of hydrocele on the structural integrity and steroid receptor expression pattern of the appendix testis in children...
- Lymphatic sparing microscopic retroperitoneal varicocelectomy: a preliminary experienceJean Wong
Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Urol 182:2460-3. 2009..By sparing lymphatics we attempted to reduce the hydrocele rate to levels achieved with microscopic inguinal and subinguinal surgery.
- Communicating hematocele in children following splenic rupture: diagnosis and managementA R Shirvani
Department of Urology, Ochsner Clinic and Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation and the Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70121, USA
Urology 55:590. 2000..within the tunica vaginalis may infrequently accompany blunt abdominal injury in the presence of a communicating hydrocele. Optimal management involves early recognition and treatment of the abdominal source of bleeding...
- [Scrotal hematoma associated with idiopathic thrombocytosis: a case report]Masahiro Fujita
The Department of Urology, Osaka Police Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 55:433-6. 2009..left scrotal mass that had been increasing in size; the mass had developed after the puncture of left testicular hydrocele. The patient was diagnosed with acute scrotal hematoma on the basis of ultrasonography findings...
- Abdominoscrotal hydrocele in a 9-month old infantE Blevrakis
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University General Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Hernia 15:201-3. 2011Abdominoscrotal hydrocele represents an uncommon condition, especially in childhood, resulting from the communication of a large scrotal hydrocele with the abdominal cavity through the inguinal canal...
- Filariasis and its control in Fujian, ChinaJ Y Liu
Fujian Provincial Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Fuzhou, China
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 22:147-54. 1991..Involvement of the extremities was not uncommon in malayan filariasis. In contrast, hydrocele was often present in bancroftian filariasis, in which limb impairment did not appear so frequently as in the ..
- Encysted hydrocele of cord in an adult misdiagnosed as irreducible hernia: a case reportImtiaz Wani
Department of Surgery, S M H S Hospital SKIMS Srinagar
Oman Med J 24:218-9. 2009A number of pathologies can present as groin swellings in adults.Among these, encysted hydrocele of the cord presenting as swelling in an adult is a rare...
- Filarial lymphatic pathology reflects augmented toll-like receptor-mediated, mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated proinflammatory cytokine productionSubash Babu
International Center for Excellence in Research, National Institutes of Health, Chennai, India
Infect Immun 79:4600-8. 2011Lymphatic filariasis can be associated with the development of serious pathology in the form of lymphedema, hydrocele, and elephantiasis in a subset of infected patients...
- Giant unilateral hydrocele "en-bisac" with right hydronephrosis in an adult: A rare entityDharamveer Singh
Department of Urology, C S M Medical University Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Indian J Urol 27:142-3. 2011Abdominoscrotal hydrocele consists of two large sacs; the abdominal and scrotal, both are connected via the inguinal canal. The diagnosis is made by clinical examination and can be confirmed with ultrasound scan...
- Using methylene blue for perioperative localization of the hydrocele sac in boysO A Sowande
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Obafemi Awolowo University Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 10:38-40. 2011..Although a simple technique, identification of the processus vaginalis can be difficult even for the experienced surgeon...
- Ultrasonographic evaluation of contralateral exploration of patent processus vaginalis in unilateral inguinal herniaS M Hasanuzzaman
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Mymensingh Medical College and Hospital, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Mymensingh Med J 20:192-6. 2011..5 MHZ transducer. If a CPPV was visible as a hydrocele (inflow of peritoneal fluid) in to a processus vaginalis on straining, then US scanning was performed while the ..
- Lymphatic filariasis in children: age dependent prevalence in an area of India endemic for Wuchereria bancrofti infectionN N Mandal
Regional Medical Research Centre ICMR, Bhubaneswar 751023, Orissa, India
Trop Biomed 27:41-6. 2010..The prevalence of asymptomatic microfilaraemic carriers (AS), acute disease (AC), hydrocele (Hyd) cases and cryptic infection (CFA +ve) were 9.9%, 14.6%, 3.8% and 17.1% respectively...
- Primary lymphoma of the testis in remission for more than ten years: a case reportT M Balogun
Department of Haematology, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, P M B 21105, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria taiwo
West Afr J Med 28:388-90. 2009..Primary testicular lymphoma is a unique, rare and aggressive extra nodal non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL). It is the most common testicular tumour in males between 60 and 80 years old..
- Day care surgery in a metropolitan government hospital setting--Indian scenarioNatarajan Dorairajan
Department of General Surgery, Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital, Chennai, 600003 Tamilnadu, India
Int Surg 95:21-6. 2010..The total number of patients studied was 327. Surgeries for hernia, hydrocele, fibroadenoma, fissure in ano, and phimosis were included...
- Lymphoma of the testis as primary location: tumour reviewGeorgios Koukourakis
Saint Savvas Anticancer Institute of Athens, Athens Greece
Clin Transl Oncol 12:321-5. 2010..the most common sign is a unilateral painless scrotal swelling, sometimes with sharp scrotal pain or hydrocele. In patients with advanced stage, the systematic B symptoms are present in 25-41% of all cases...
- Strategy for treating simple testicular cyst in adultsYujiang Fang
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Am J Mens Health 5:193-7. 2011..The first patient was hospitalized with a presumptive diagnosis of left hydrocele, and the second patient was hospitalized with left simple testicular cyst...
- Urinary and serum carbohydrate antigen 19-9 as a biomarker in ureteropelvic junction obstruction in childrenAbdol Mohammad Kajbafzadeh
Pediatric Urology Research Center, Department of Urology, Pediatric Center of Excellence, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Urol 183:2353-60. 2010..We evaluated the predictive role of serum and urinary carbohydrate antigen 19-9 in the diagnosis and followup of pediatric ureteropelvic junction obstruction...
- Ultrastructural analysis of Wuchereria bancrofti (Nematoda: Filarioidea) body wallA Oliveira-Menezes
Laboratório de Biologia de Helmintos Otto Wucherer, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Bloco G, Ilha do Fundao, 21941 902 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Micron 41:526-31. 2010..W. bancrofti adult worms were recovered from untreated patients during hydrocele repair surgery and studied by transmission electron microscopy...
- [Adenocarcinoma of the rete testis. A case report]Jun Hagiuda
Department of Urology, Tokyo Dental College, Ichikawa General Hospital
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 101:749-53. 2010..Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) showed a left hydrocele with central necrosis of the testis...
- [Results of microsurgical varicocelectomy in the adolescent]Nobuyuki Kondoh
Department of Urology, Hyogo College of Medicine
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 100:519-24. 2009..varicocelectomy procedures are known to have high rates of success and minimal incidence of postoperative hydrocele occurrences in adults...
- An unusual presentation of neonatal adrenal hemorrhageJ M D O'Neill
Radiology Department, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 4A6, Canada
Eur J Ultrasound 16:261-4. 2003..within 1 h of birth with right side scrotal swelling and a dusky skin discoloration thought clinically to be a hydrocele or testicular torsion...
- Study on the incidence of testicular and epididymal appendages in patients with cryptorchidismLuciano A Favorito
Urogenital Research Unit, State University of Rio de Janeiro, UERJ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 30:49-52. 2004..To study the incidence of testicular and epididymal appendages in patients with cryptorchidism...
- Bilateral varicocele: single transscrotal approach for Tauber antegrade sclerotherapyGuglielmo Mazzoni
Pediatric Surgery Operative Unit, S Camillo Forlanini Hospital, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 75:21-4. 2003..To describe the results of a new simple technique of single transscrotal approach for Tauber antegrade sclerotherapy in bilateral varicocele...
- Subinguinal microsurgical ligation--its effectiveness in pediatric and adolescent varicoceleM Silveri
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesu, Rome, Italy
Scand J Urol Nephrol 37:53-4. 2003..We performed this procedure in prepubertal and pubertal patients in order to verify its feasibility and effectiveness in a younger population...
- Idiopathic infected hydrocele in a toddler: a case report with reviewJayesh Sagar
Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
ScientificWorldJournal 6:2396-8. 2006Idiopathic infected hydrocele in infants is a rare, but well-documented, entity in English literature; however, occurrence of such a condition in a toddler is not yet documented...
- Dye-assisted lymph vessels sparing laparoscopic varicocelectomyAndrzej Golebiewski
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:360-3. 2007b>Hydrocele, the main complication of laparoscopic varicocelectomy, is thought to result from a disruption of gonadal lymphatics...
- The Role of Hormone Polymorphisms in Menstrual Function and FertilityCHANLEY SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed pilot study is an efficient use of existing data and biological specimens to explore these relationships among a subset of important genes in reproductive function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Role of Hormone Polymorphisms in Menstrual Function and FertilityCHANLEY SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed pilot study is an efficient use of existing data and biological specimens to explore these relationships among a subset of important genes in reproductive function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..