Summary: A condition in which certain opposing teeth fail to establish occlusal contact when the jaws are closed.
Publications188 found, 100 shown here
- Treatment of open bite with microscrew implant anchorageHyo Sang Park
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, South Korea
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:627-36. 2004b>Open bite treatment with microscrew implant anchorage is discussed in relation to vertical control of the posterior dentoalvelar dimension...
- Relapse after orthodontics and orthognathic surgeryNick Haralabakis
Department of Orthodontics, University of Athens, Greece
World J Orthod 6:125-40. 2005..This article underlines the importance of long-term follow-up for all patients treated with a combination of orthodontics and orthognathic surgery...
- Cervical column morphology in patients with skeletal open biteL Sonnesen
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Copenhagen University, Copenhagen, Denmark
Orthod Craniofac Res 11:17-23. 2008To examine and compare the cervical column morphology in adult patients with skeletal open bite with the cervical column morphology of an adult control group with neutral occlusion and normal craniofacial morphology.
- Variation in dental and skeletal open bite malocclusion in humans with amelogenesis imperfectaDarren B Ravassipour
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Arch Oral Biol 50:611-23. 2005..disorders primarily affecting the quality and or quantity of enamel, however, affected individuals often have an open bite malocclusion...
- Bilateral open bite in dicygotic twins. A combined orthodontic-prosthetic approachRalf J Radlanski
Department of Experimental Dentistry Oral Biology, Benjamin Franklin University Hospital, Free University, Berlin, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 63:339-47. 2002..Dizygotic twins, male, 25 years of age, required treatment for an identical orthodontic diagnosis...
- Severe lateral open bite caused by multiple ankylosed teeth: a case reportMami Atobe
Department of Orthodontics, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Tsurumiku, Yokohama, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 107:e14-20. 2009Multiple ankylosed teeth in a dental arch is rare and occasionally causes severe open bite. This article describes a case of severe lateral open bite caused by multiple ankylosed teeth...
- Social and biological early life influences on the prevalence of open bite in Brazilian 6-year-oldsKaren Glazer Peres
Department of Public Health, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
Int J Paediatr Dent 17:41-9. 2007Little is known about the effects of social and biological risk factors for open bite on the primary dentition. The aim of this study was to assess the early-life risk factors affecting anterior open bite.
- Occlusal and orofacial myofunctional evaluation in children with anterior open bite before and after removal of pacifier sucking habitAnna Paula Verrastro
Departamento de Ortodontia e Odontopediatria, Facultade de Odontologia da Universidade de São Paulo, USP
Int J Orthod Milwaukee 18:19-25. 2007..to evaluate occlusal and orofacial myofunctional characteristics in children with primary dentition and anterior open bite, before and after removal of pacifier sucking habit...
- Corticotomy and compression osteogenesis in the posterior maxilla for treating severe anterior open biteT Kanno
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kagawa Prefectural Central Hospital, Kagawa, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:354-7. 2007A new technique is described for outpatient treatment of anterior open bite. The compression osteogenesis method with a two-stage corticotomy was used in the posterior maxilla to treat a woman with severe anterior open bite...
- Stability of orthodontic treatment. Part 1Eugene L Gottlieb
Department of Orthodontics, University of Ferrara, Italy
J Clin Orthod 40:27-38. 2006
- Skeletal and dental effects during observation and treatment with a magnetic deviceOrhan Meral
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Angle Orthod 73:716-22. 2003..study material included the lateral cephalograms and hand-wrist radiographs of 16 patients who had an anterior open bite malocclusion...
- Treatment effects of a modified quad-helix in patients with dentoskeletal open bitesPaola Cozza
Department of Orthodontics, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 129:734-9. 2006..6 mm more than the control group) overcorrected the amount of anterior open bite at T2. However, 4 of 23 subjects did not show positive overbites at T2...
- Severe anterior open-bite malocclusionJulio Pedra e Cal-Neto
Department of Orthodontics, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Angle Orthod 76:728-33. 2006This case report describes the treatment of a severe anterior open bite, Class II malocclusion with a history of dummy sucking. The 9-year-old girl presented with a significant anteroposterior and vertical discrepancy...
- A prospective study of the treatment effects of a removable appliance with palatal crib combined with high-pull chincup therapy in anterior open-bite patientsFernando Pedrin
Bauru Dental School, , , Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 129:418-23. 2006..METHODS: Thirty children with initial mean age of 8.61 years and mean anterior open bite of 4...
- New generation open-bite treatment with zygomatic anchorageNejat Erverdi
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Marmara University, Nisantasi 34346, Istanbul, Turkey
Angle Orthod 76:519-26. 2006..A 14-year-old, female Class II patient with an anterior open bite was treated with a new generation posterior intrusion appliance...
- An adult case of skeletal open bite with a large lower anterior facial heightEiji Tanaka
Department of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Developmental Biology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
Angle Orthod 75:465-71. 2005Control of the height of posterior dentoalveolar regions is of great importance for the correction of skeletal open bite. Traditionally, second premolar extraction facilitates the closure of open bite by inducing a counterclockwise ..
- Dual segmental distraction osteogenesis of the midface in a patient with Apert syndromeMariko Takashima
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:499-506. 2006..To present orthodontic treatment combined with dual segmental distraction osteogenesis in a patient with Apert syndrome...
- American orthodontics Maurice Berman Prize 2005T M Hodge
Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, UK
J Orthod 33:160-71. 2006..This paper describes the orthodontic treatment of two cases, which were awarded the 2005 Maurice Berman Prize...
- Treatment in the deciduous dentition: four clinical casesJuan M Font Jaume
Prog Orthod 7:202-19. 2006..As Ricketts said concerning early treatment: The crux of the dilemma is the failure to recognize complete maxillary orthopedics in the three planes of space...
- Stability after rigid fixation of simultaneous maxillary impaction and mandibular advancement osteotomiesR Emshoff
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Maximilianstrasse 10, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:137-42. 2003..of "LF-I impaction and BSSO advancement" using the described technique of RIF is a stable procedure in the treatment of open bite patients classified as vertical maxillary excess in combination with mandibular deficiency.
- Severe anterior open bite malocclusion with multiple odontoma treated by C-lingual retractor and horseshoe mechanicsSeonghun Kim
Department of Orthodontics, Kyunghee University, Dental Hospital, Dong Dae Mun Gu, Seoul, Korea
Angle Orthod 73:206-12. 2003..on the lingual aspects of the maxillary anterior teeth in a 16-year-old male patient with a Class II anterior open bite malocclusion...
- Mandibular symphyseal distraction and its geometrical evaluation: report of a caseMetin Orhan
Department of Orthodontics Campus, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Angle Orthod 73:194-200. 2003..The effect of the procedure on the condyle was only 3 degrees of distolateral rotation as calculated using the geometrical model...
- Non-surgical risk factors for condylar resorption after orthognathic surgerySoon Jung Hwang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, South Korea
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 32:103-11. 2004..However, its pathogenesis is not well understood. The purpose of this study was to find non-surgical risk factors for condylar resorption after orthognathic surgery...
- An application of a splint purposeful resin-bonded fixed partial denture after orthodontic treatment: a case reportBülent Baydaş
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:141-9. 2006..with the loss of his maxillary left central incisor space, a Class III molar occlusion, and an anterior open bite malocclusion due to tongue-thrust swallowing...
- The twin block appliance for the correction of Class II malocclusionDaljit Gill
The Royal London, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital
Dent Update 32:158-60, 163-4, 167-8. 2005..The aim of this article is to review the clinical management of the twin block appliance and to discuss some of the hard and soft tissue changes that accompany treatment with this appliance...
- Differential diagnosis of skeletal open bite based on sagittal components of the faceZ Mirzen Arat
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey
World J Orthod 6:41-50. 2005This study examined the morphology of skeletal open bite with respect to the sagittal components of the face.
- Facial improvements after molar intrusion with miniscrew anchorageKi Jun Choi
Department of Orthodontics, Institute of Oral Health Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-710, Korea
J Clin Orthod 41:273-80. 2007
- Treatment of a patient with unerupted mandibular molars, lateral open bite, and class II subdivision malocclusionJosé Nelson Mucha
Faculdade de Odontologia, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
World J Orthod 5:345-56. 2004This case report describes the treatment of a patient with three unerupted mandibular right molars and a lateral open bite in a Class II subdivision malocclusion with mandibular arch asymmetry...
- Surgical orthodontic treatment of a severe open bite malocclusion with cleft palate and neuropathySatoshi Nomura
Nomura Orthodontic Clinic, Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
World J Orthod 5:54-61. 2004This case demonstrates an orthodontic and surgical approach to a severe open bite malocclusion with cleft palate and neuropathy.
- Class II deep bite faces: one-phase or two-phase treatment?Andre J Horn
World J Orthod 6:171-9. 2005..Most low-angle cases treated with two-phase treatment do not require surgical procedures. Orthodontics for tomorrow will necessitate more concept and less mechanics...
- Three-part bi-maxillary osteotomy: a case report involving resorbable platesDavid Waring
Department of Orthodontics, Liverpool University Dental Hospital, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5PS
J Orthod 32:75-84. 2005..presented with a severe class 2 skeletal discrepancy together with a Class II malocclusion and a large anterior open bite. The malocclusion and skeletal discrepancy were managed with a combination of orthodontic and orthognathic ..
- Modeling facial movement: II. A dynamic analysis of differences caused by orthognathic surgeryMay Nooreyazdan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1380-6. 2004..CONCLUSION: These findings suggest that facial movements are effected by skeletal malocclusion and orthognathic surgical procedures...
- Relationship between internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint and dentofacial morphology in women with anterior open biteEun-Sun Byun
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Korea
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128:87-95. 2005INTRODUCTION: Anterior open bite is known to be associated with internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ)...
- Variations of the gonial angle in vertical surgical reduction of the maxillary-mandibular complexRinna Claudio
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 16:716-9. 2005..Similarly, in patients with an open-bite, the tendency to form an open gonial angle can usually be corrected by the association of advancement of the maxilla whenever possible...
- Category 7: Class II skeletal malocclusion with transverse maxillary constriction in an adult patientNadene J Tipton
Lubbock, Tex, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128:528-34. 2005..This case report was submitted to the American Board of Orthodontics as part of the board-certification process. The summary of treatment and records are reprinted here much as they were submitted to the board...
- Class II correction in a severe hyperdivergent growth pattern, bilateral open bite and oral compromiseSergio A Cardiel Ríos
Angle Orthod 75:870-80. 2005..A case report with these problems is presented...
- Mandibular distraction osteogenesis by sagittal split osteotomy and intraoral curvilinear distractionStephen A Schendel
Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Craniofac Surg 15:631-5. 2004..In addition, it is well tolerated by the patient and can remain in place for a long duration to provide support. In summary, this combination of surgical techniques provides certain advantages for distraction of the mandible...
- Two- and three-dimensional orthodontic imaging using limited cone beam-computed tomographyAkira Nakajima
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan
Angle Orthod 75:895-903. 2005..We conclude that 3DX images provide useful information for orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning...
- Bite force and maxillofacial morphology in patients with Duchenne-type muscular dystrophyKoichiro Ueki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:34-9. 2007..The purpose of this study is to evaluate maxillofacial morphology and bite force in patients with severe Duchenne-type myodystrophy...
- [Pre- and post-surgical orthodontic objectives and orthodontic preparation]S Bousaba
Service d orthopédie dento faciale et d orthodontie, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain
Rev Belge Med Dent (1984) 57:37-48. 2002..Orthodontic preparation is very specific to the type of dysmorphosis: class II malocclusion, class III malocclusion or in open bite. Postsurgical orthodontic treatment is used to finalize tooth alignment as in conventional orthodontics.
- Nonextraction and nonsurgical treatment of an adult with skeletal Class II open bite with severe retrognathic mandible and temporomandibular disordersEtsuko Kondo
World J Orthod 8:261-76. 2007..a skeletal Class II Division 1 malocclusion, retrognathic mandible with downward and backward rotation, anterior open bite, and temporomandibular disorders is presented...
- Duration of nutritive and nonnutritive sucking behaviors and their effects on the dental arches in the primary dentitionJohn J Warren
College of Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242 1010, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 121:347-56. 2002..models were obtained from the children at 4 to 5 years of age and assessed for posterior crossbite, anterior open bite, and overjet...
- [3-dimensional cephalometry in orthodontics. The current possibilities of Cepha 3DT software]Jacques Faure
Orthod Fr 73:19-37. 2002..Clinical applications illustrate the theoretical presentation...
- A retrospective analysis of 20 surgically corrected bimaxillary protrusion patientsJong Ryoul Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Pusan Metropolitan City, Korea
Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 17:23-7. 2002..01). This suggests that most of the bimaxillary patients want instant esthetic facial results and that their soft tissue profiles were improved significantly. However, the postoperative course should be cautiously observed...
- Complex orthodontic treatment using a new protocol for the Invisalign applianceRobert L Boyd
Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics, University of the Pacific, 2155 Webster St, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Orthod 41:525-47; quiz 523. 2007
- Treatment timing for an orthopedic approach to patients with increased vertical dimensionTiziano Baccetti
Department of Orthodontics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:58-64. 2008....
- Morphological characteristics of the symphyseal region in adult skeletal Class III crossbite and openbite malocclusionsChooryung Judi Chung
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Angle Orthod 78:38-43. 2008..To evaluate the relationship of the morphological characteristics of the symphyseal region of adult Class III malocclusion to the differences in overjet and overbite...
- A case of anterior open bite with severely narrowed maxillary dental arch and hypertrophic palatine tonsilsKotaro Tanimoto
Orthodontics and Craniofacial Developmental Biology, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
J Orthod 35:5-15. 2008This case report describes an adolescent patient with an open bite and severely narrowed maxillary dentition and hypertrophic palatine tonsils, treated efficiently with rapid maxillary expansion (RME) and subsequent orthodontic tooth ..
- [Mini-implants: pushing the limits of traditional orthodontics]Skander Ellouze
Centre Medical El Farabi, 2091 El Menzah 6, Tunis, Tunisie
Orthod Fr 79:59-66. 2008....
- Effects of a modified acrylic bonded rapid maxillary expansion appliance and vertical chin cap on dentofacial structuresF A Basciftci
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Angle Orthod 72:61-71. 2002..These effects were reduced in Group II. We conclude that the vertical chin cap is an effective appliance for preventing the adverse vertical effects of RME in patients with a crossbite and a vertical growth pattern...
- Evaluation of anterior open-bite treatment with occlusal adjustmentGuilherme Janson
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:10-1. 2008..METHODS: The sample comprised 20 patients who experienced relapse of the anterior open bite (mean, -1.06 mm). Occlusal adjustment was performed until a positive overbite was established...
- Three-year stability of open-bite correction by 1-piece maxillary osteotomyLisen Espeland
Department of Orthodontics, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:60-6. 2008..The purpose of this retrospective cephalometric study was to evaluate the long-term vertical stability of anterior open-bite correction by 1-piece Le Fort I osteotomy and rigid fixation...
- Non-surgical treatment of anterior open bite and its assessment using the Dawjee analysis: a case reportS M Dawjee
Department of Orthodontics, University of Pretoria, Pretoria
SADJ 63:234, 236-8. 2008Anterior open bite (AOB) is a dentofacial problem occurring more commonly in race groups of African origin. Although multi-factorial, the aetiology exerts its influence in tandem with craniofacial development...
- Biomechanical considerations in treatment with miniscrew anchorage. Part 3: clinical casesMin Ho Jung
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Samsung Medical Dental Center, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Orthod 42:329-37; quiz 339. 2008
- Correction of severe vertical maxillary excess with anterior open bite and transverse maxillary deficiencyR S Conley
Vanderbilt Medical Center, Division of Orthodontics, Nashville, Tenn 37212, USA
Angle Orthod 72:265-74. 2002..This case report illustrates the benefit of a team approach using transverse maxillary distraction osteogenesis, effective orthodontic mechanics, and orthognathic surgery to correct a severe dentofacial deformity...
- Rapid molar intrusionAldo Carano
Tex Dent J 119:594-8. 2002
- Use of a tip-edge stage-1 wire to enhance vertical control during straight wire treatment: two case reportsHelen Taylor
Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, UK
Angle Orthod 73:93-9. 2003..Two cases, one with deep overbite and one with anterior open-bite, demonstrate the use of a Tip-Edge stage-1 wire to enhance vertical control in conjunction with Straight wire brackets and superelastic main arch wires...
- Treatment and posttreatment dentoalveolar changes following intrusion of mandibular molars with application of a skeletal anchorage system (SAS) for open bite correctionJunji Sugawara
Division of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry 4 1, Seiryo machi, Aoba ku Sendai, 980 8575, Japan
Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 17:243-53. 2002..With SAS, anterior open bite can be improved by the counterclockwise rotation of the mandible, accompanied by the intrusion of molars...
- Identifying the functional and esthetic factors associated with dentofacial deformitiesLarry M Wolford
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M University System, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Tex Dent J 119:1034-43. 2002
- Posterior impaction with orthodontic miniscrews for openbite closure and improvement of facial profileNeal D Kravitz
Department of Orthodontics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
World J Orthod 8:157-66. 2007Skeletal anterior open bite is often caused by posterior dentoalveolar excess and downward and backward mandibular rotation...
- Surgical correction of a Class II skeletal malocclusion associated with anterior open bite and temporomandibular joint painJosé Augusto Mendes Miguel
Department of Orthodontics, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 132:400-7. 2007This case report describes the treatment of a 25-year-old woman with anterior open bite, Class II skeletal malocclusion, and a history of temporomandibular joint pain and sounds...
- Orthodontic treatment and masticatory muscle exercises to correct a Class I open bite in an adult patientCarrie A Lindsey
Department of Orthodontics, Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, TX, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 124:91-8. 2003
- Use of the centroid method of occlusion for studying the vertical and horizontal relationship of the mandible and maxillaSatoru Murata
Murata Orthodontic Clinic, Toyotetu Terminal Building 3F, 1 46 1 Ekimaeohdori, Toyohashi 440 0888, Japan
Eur J Orthod 29:600-4. 2007..cephalograms were obtained of Japanese adult females aged over 18 years of age with a Class II malocclusion (61 open bite and 47 deep bite), or a Class III type open bite (70 subjects) or deep bite (21 subjects) malocclusion...
- An adult case of skeletal open bite with a severely narrowed maxillary dental archMichiru Takeuchi
Orthodontic Clinic, Hiroshima University Dental Hospital, Japan
Angle Orthod 72:362-70. 2002..This article reports the treatment of an 18-year, seven-month old male patient with an anterior open bite and a severely narrowed upper dental arch. A posterior crossbite was present on both sides...
- Understanding extraction therapyThomas D Creekmore
Tex Dent J 119:628-35. 2002
- A method of treating the patient with postpubescent juvenile rheumatoid arthritisDale E Stringer
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1998-2004. 2007..A protocol for postpubescence (ages 12 through 18 years) has yet to be established. This pilot study attempts to establish another treatment protocol for this particular subgroup of patients...
- Early tooth extraction in the treatment of anterior open bite in hyperdivergent patientsMárcio Antonio de Figueiredo
Program in Dentistry, Area of Concentration in Orthodontics, Methodist University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
World J Orthod 8:249-60. 2007To describe the treatment of a 7-year-old patient with a hyperdivergent (dolichofacial) pattern, Class II Division 1 malocclusion, and anterior open bite.
- Long-term impact of tongue reduction on speech intelligibility, articulation and oromyofunctional behaviour in a child with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndromeK M Van Lierde
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery and Speech Language Pathology, University Hospital, 2P1 De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:309-18. 2010..A class III malocclusion, an anterior open bite, diastema, overangulation of lower incisors and an enlarged but normal symmetric shaped tongue were present...
- The spectrum of Apert syndrome: phenotype, particularities in orthodontic treatment, and characteristics of orthognathic surgeryAriane Hohoff
Department of Orthodontics, University Hospital, Westfalian Wilhelms University, Munster, Germany
Head Face Med 3:10. 2007..which was sometimes compensated by the inclination of the lower incisors; in the vertical dimension from an open bite; and transversally from a single tooth in crossbite to a circular crossbite...
- [Effects of unilateral mandibular distraction osteogenesis on temporomandibular joint]Xiaoxia Wang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Peking University Stomatologicol hospital, Beijing 100081, China
Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 35:649-53. 2003..To study the effects of unilateral mandibular distraction osteogenesis(MDO) on the temporomandibular joint(TMJ)...
- Association between allergic rhinitis, bottle feeding, non-nutritive sucking habits, and malocclusion in the primary dentitionF Vázquez-Nava
Research Department, Tampico Faculty of Medicine, Autonomous University of Tamaulipas, Tampico Madero City, Tamp, Mexico
Arch Dis Child 91:836-40. 2006..To determine the association between allergic rhinitis, bottle feeding, non-nutritive sucking habits, and malocclusion in the primary dentition...
- Prevalence of malocclusion among mouth breathing children: do expectations meet reality?Bernardo Q Souki
Federal University of Minas Gerais, Outpatient Clinic for Mouth Breathers, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:767-73. 2009..We assessed the association between the severity of the obstruction by adenoids/tonsils hyperplasia or the presence of allergic rhinitis and the prevalence of class II malocclusion, anterior open bite and posterior crossbite.
- Influence of nonnutritive sucking habits, breathing pattern and adenoid size on the development of malocclusionElton Geraldo Oliveira Góis
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, College of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Angle Orthod 78:647-54. 2008..To investigate the association of finger and pacifier-sucking habits, breathing pattern, and adenoid size with the development of malocclusion in primary dentition...
- Enamel dysplasia with hamartomatous atypical follicular hyperplasia (EDHFH) syndrome: suggested pathogenic mechanismsL Feller
Department of Periodontology and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Limpopo, Medunsa Campus, South Africa
SADJ 63:102-5. 2008..Thus, alterations in the function of enamel matrix protein function, may be the common denominator responsible for the development of the EDHFH phenotype...
- Periodontal and gingival incisor findings in patients with anterior open bite in the mixed dentitionTill Edward Bechtold
Department of Orthodontics, Eberhard Karl University, Osianderstrasse 2 8, Tubingen, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 71:199-206. 2010The objective of this study was to investigate any association between anterior open bite and periodontal health of the front teeth during mixed dentition...
- Osteochondroma in the mandibular condyle that caused facial asymmetry: a case reportMakoto Koga
Dental and Oral Medical Center, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi Machi, Kurume, Fukuoka 830 0011 Japan
Cranio 24:67-70. 2006..Her maximum jaw opening was 34 mm, with moderate left TMJ tenderness. There was Class I occlusion without open bite. Panoramic radiography and computed tomography (CT) revealed an enlarged right mandibular condylar head...
- [Malocclusion and upper airway obstruction]Kristina Lopatiene
Kauno medicinos universiteto Ortodontijos klinika, Luksos Daumanto 6, Kaunas
Medicina (Kaunas) 38:277-83. 2002..This study showed the significant association between nasal resistance and increased overjet (p = 0.042), open bite (p = 0.033) and maxillary crowding (p = 0.037)...
- Enamel dysplasia with hamartomatous atypical follicular hyperplasia: review of the literature and report of a caseL Feller
Department of Periodontology and Oral Medicne, School of Dentistry, University of Limpopo, Medunsa Campus, South Africa
SADJ 63:096-7, 100-1. 2008....
- Exploring factors associated with traumatic dental injuries in preschool children: a Poisson regression analysisCarlos Alberto Feldens
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Universidade Luterana do Brasil, Canoas, Brazil
Dent Traumatol 26:143-8. 2010..This cross-sectional study aimed to investigate the factors associated with dental trauma in preschool children using Poisson regression analysis with robust variance...
- Orthodontic treatment needs among 12-15 year-olds in Moshi, TanzaniaD S Rwakatema
Department of Dentistry, Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College, Tumaini University, P O Box 3010, Moshi, Tanzania
East Afr Med J 84:226-32. 2007..To assess malocclusion and orthodontic treatment needs among 12-15-year-olds in Moshi municipality, Tanzania...
- Interrelation between occlusal findings and orofacial myofunctional status in primary and mixed dentition: Part III: Interrelation between malocclusions and orofacial dysfunctionsRosemarie Grabowski
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry Hans Moral, University of Rostock, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 68:462-76. 2007..We aimed to identify which orthodontic and functional symptoms in early dentition would lead to malocclusion later on...
- [Dental and skeletal age in children with growth hormone deficiency treated with growth hormone--preliminary report]Beata Kawala
Department of Dentofacial Orthopedics and Orthodontics, Wrocław Medical University, Poland
Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab 13:210-2. 2007..Somatotrophic hypofunction (growth hormone deficiency--GHD) is one of the basic indications for treatment with growth hormone. One of characteristics of this disease is a delay of bone age in comparison to calendar one...
- Severe dental open bite malocclusion with tongue reduction after orthodontic treatmentH Hotokezaka
Department of Orthodontics, Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, Japan
Angle Orthod 71:228-36. 2001We treated a 21-year-old woman with a severe open bite and macroglossia with a standard edgewise appliance and without partial glossectomy...
- Effects of oral habits' duration on dental characteristics in the primary dentitionJ J Warren
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City 55242 1010, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 132:1685-93; quiz 1726. 2001..1870s have demonstrated that long-term nonnutritive sucking habits may lead to occlusal abnormalities, including open bite and posterior crossbite. However, little is known as to whether habits of shorter durations have lasting effects.
- Changes in the prevalence of nonnutritive sucking patterns in the first 8 years of lifeSamir E Bishara
College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1001, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 130:31-6. 2006....
- A multidisciplinary approach to the functional and esthetic rehabilitation of amelogenesis imperfecta and open bite deformity: a case reportVanessa Gisler
Postgraduate Reconstructive Dentistry, Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern, Switzerland
J Esthet Restor Dent 22:282-93. 2010The treatment of amelogenesis imperfecta (AI) with an anterior open bite (AOB) is a challenge for the clinician and often requires a multidisciplinary team of specialists...
- Combined treatment of open bite - long-term evaluation and relapse factorsSusanne Wriedt
Department of Orthodontics, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 70:318-26. 2009Some patients with open bite who have been treated with combined fixed orthodontic appliances and bimaxillary osteotomy relapse in the vertical dimension after the end of treatment following initially successful correction of the ..
- Feeding and nonnutritive sucking habits and prevalence of open bite and crossbite in children/adolescents with Down syndromeAna Cristina Oliveira
Department of Social and Preventive Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Angle Orthod 80:748-53. 2010To analyze the influence of breastfeeding, bottle feeding, and nonnutritive sucking habits on the prevalence of open bite and anterior/posterior crossbite in children with Down syndrome (DS).
- Apert syndrome with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency: a case reportG Tosun
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Int J Paediatr Dent 16:218-21. 2006..Maxillary hypoplasia, deep palatal vault, anterior open bite, crowding of the dental arch, severely delayed tooth eruption, and dental malocclusion are the main oral ..
- A study comparing ultrasound images of tongue movements between open bite children and normal children in the early mixed dentition periodT Kikyo
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 46:127-37. 1999The tongue surface movement of young patients with or without open bite was evaluated by ultrasound images taken on the posterior part of the tongue on the frontal plane to determine whether there is any relationship between the tongue ..
- Moebius syndrome: clinical manifestations in a pediatric patientLuciana Monti Lima
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Araraquara, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Dent 31:289-93. 2009..intraoral examination revealed hypofunction of the perioral muscles, cheeks and tongue, ankyloglossia, anterior open bite, and absence of carious lesions and dental anomalies...
- Comparison of dental arch measurements in the primary dentition between contemporary and historic samplesJ J Warren
University of Iowa, College of Dentistry, N 337 Dental Science Building, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 119:211-5. 2001..to white children with a normal overjet (<4 mm) and normal anteroposterior molar relationship, no anterior open bite, and no crossbite. In addition, individuals were excluded if any permanent teeth were erupted...
- Breast feeding, bottle feeding, and non-nutritive sucking; effects on occlusion in deciduous dentitionD Viggiano
Ambulatory Paediatrician, Local Health Unit Salerno 1, Campania Region, Italy
Arch Dis Child 89:1121-3. 2004..To assess the effect of the type of feeding and non-nutritive sucking activity on occlusion in deciduous dentition...
- Effects of nursing bottle misuse on oral health. Prevalence of caries, tooth malalignments and malocclusions in North-German preschool childrenFranz Josef Robke
Ostweg 3, Norden, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 69:5-19. 2008..Aim of this epidemiological study was to provide basic, representative data on the oral health of preschool children in northwestern Germany...
- Effects of feeding on non-nutritive sucking habits and implications on occlusion in mixed dentitionLuisa Montaldo
Department of Dentistry, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Int J Paediatr Dent 21:68-73. 2011..Several studies have determined the effects of non-nutritive sucking habits on malocclusions, but provided conflicting results...
- Occlusion and tooth/arch dimensions in the primary dentition of preschool Jordanian childrenE S J Abu Alhaija
Division of Orthodontics, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Paediatr Dent 13:230-9. 2003..To assess tooth and arch dimensions, occlusal relationships and the presence of spacing or crowding in primary dentition of Jordanian children...
- Influence of orthodontic treatment in the primary dentition upon development of the dentition and craniofacial growthC Mauck
Poliklinik für Kieferorthopädie, Zentrum fur Zahn, Mund und Kieferheilkunde der Medizinischen Hochschule Hannover, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 59:229-36. 1998..The mean age at the beginning of treatment was 4.4 (+/= 1.1) years, and at follow-up 15.4 (+/- 1.7) years. Different kinds of malocclusion were present...
- Follow-up study of functional and morphological malocclusion trait changes from 3 to 12 years of ageMaja Ovsenik
Department of Orthodontics, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenija
Eur J Orthod 29:523-9. 2007..For inter-arch measurements, overbite, anterior open bite, overjet, reverse overjet, anterior crossbite, and buccal segment relationships were recorded...
- [The relationship between oral habits, oronasopharyngeal alterations, and malocclusion in preschool children in Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil]Adauto Emmerich
Núcleo de Pesquisas Craniofaciais, Departamento de Medicina Social, Centro Biomedico, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, Victoria, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 20:689-97. 2004..Logistic regression indicated a high relative risk (RR) in children with altered overjet, open bite, and cross-bite to present mouth breathing (RR = 1.89; CI: 1.56-2.03), (RR = 2.46; CI: 2.00-3.02), (RR = 1...
- Relapse of anterior open bites treated with orthodontic appliances with and without orofacial myofunctional therapyJoann Smithpeter
Portland State University, Portland, Ore, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 137:605-14. 2010..In this study, we investigated the efficacy of orofacial myofunctional therapy (OMT) for maintaining closure of open bites in conjunction with orthodontic treatment...
- Oral findings in a typical case of achondroplasiaP Celenk
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Maxillofacial Radiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
J Int Med Res 31:236-8. 2003..achondroplasia but also had a skeletal and dental class III malocclusion, a narrow maxilla, macroglossia and an open bite between the posterior teeth...
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Longitudinal study of caries in a rural WIC populationJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from this pilot study will be of great value and will position the study team to effectively conduct future intervention studies to reduce oral health disparities. ..
- Outcomes of Furlow&Conventional Palatoplasty ProceduresRobert Havlik; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, there have been no studies on the palatal architecture parameters and their influence upon oronasal fistulae and velopharyngeal competence that have been published. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 1980..Elucidation of these relationships will provide insight into soft tissue function as a factor in the etiology of dentofacial deformity as well as a determinant of post-treatment stability...
- The Genetic Basis of Human Tooth AgenesisSylvia Frazier Bowers; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research is central to the career goals of the applicant, which are to perform independent and original research that is relevant to identifying genetic factors that lead to orthodontic problems. ..