- Mucoceles and ranulas
Harold D Baurmash
Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery, New York, NY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:369-78. 2003
- [Diagnostic and interventional sialoscopy in obstructive diseases of the salivary glands]
Hals Nasen, Ohrenklinik, Kopf und Hals Chirurgie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Waldstrasse 1, 91054 Erlangen
HNO 56:139-44. 2008
..Using sialendoscopes, intraductal pathology can made visible to the surgeon, aiding in diagnosis and adequate treatment...
- Mucocele of the gland of Blandin-Nuhn: histological and clinical findings
Paulo de Camargo Moraes
Dental Research Institute Sao Leopoldo Mandic, Campinas, Brazil
Clin Oral Investig 13:351-3. 2009
..Histopathologically, the mucoceles were of the extravasation type and trauma might be the most frequent etiological factor. This type of mucocele was the second most frequent one and should not be considered rare...
- Electromyography monitoring of patients with salivary gland diseases
Department of Otolaryngology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:869-73. 2005
To provide a description of surface electromyography (sEMG) of spontaneous saliva swallowing (SSS) and monitoring of swallow rate in patients with salivary gland diseases.
- Immunohistochemical detection of E-cadherin in certain types of salivary gland tumours
Department of Oral Medicine and Maxillofacial Pathology, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Laryngol Otol 120:298-304. 2006
..To investigate the topography of E-cadherin and its possible correlation with the histological phenotype of salivary gland tumours...
- (B3) Markers of immunodeficiency and mechanisms of HAART therapy on oral lesions
S R Flint
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, Dublin Dental School and Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Lincoln Place, Dublin 2, Ireland
Adv Dent Res 19:146-51. 2006
..g., inhibition of oral candidosis by protease inhibitors). This workshop considered the current evidence and proposed pertinent research questions...
- Non-neoplastic salivary gland diseases
P G Arduino
Unit of Oral Medicine, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 55:249-70. 2006
..The present work provides an overview of most of the non neoplastic disorders of the salivary glands, in which the general presentation, pathology, and treatments are discussed...
- Retromolar swelling
John E Fantasia
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Dental Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
Gen Dent 54:147, 149. 2006
- Sonography of the salivary glands
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Brothers of St John, Kajetanerplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Eur Radiol 13:964-75. 2003
..In children the main differential diagnosis of salivary gland pathologies are addressed. In many diseases sonography is the first-line imaging modality in assessment of salivary glands...
- MR imaging of salivary glands
Gaurang V Shah
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, Room B1G308, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 10:631-62. 2002
..Biopsy is superior and the gold standard for diagnosis and cannot be replaced by MR imaging, however...
- US of the major salivary glands: anatomy and spatial relationships, pathologic conditions, and pitfalls
Ewa J Bialek
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Second Faculty of Medicine, Medical University of Warsaw, ul Kondratowicza 8, 03 242 Warsaw, Poland
Radiographics 26:745-63. 2006
..Salivary gland cysts have well-defined margins, anechoic contents, posterior acoustic enhancement, and no internal blood flow. However, US appearances of some diseases may overlap, thus producing diagnostic pitfalls...
- [Obstructive sialoadenitis: update of diagnosis and therapy issues]
Dipartimento Scienze Stomatologiche G Messina, Universita, Palermo
Recenti Prog Med 97:272-9. 2006
In head and neck district, major salivary gland diseases seem to have a considerable epidemiological and clinical impact, especially in obstructive disease...
- The etiology of superficial oral mucoceles
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:237-8. 2002
- The value of fine-needle aspiration cytology in salivary gland lesions, 1994-2004
Department of Pathology, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, Sivas, Turkey
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 69:51-6. 2007
..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of FNAC of salivary gland lesions and to decide whether the radiologist could perform it or not...
- Ultrasonographic imaging of head and neck pathology
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University, Klinik und Poliklinik für Mund Kiefer Gesichts Chirurgie, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106 Freiburg im Breisgan, Germany
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 10:213-41. 2002
- Sclerosing polycystic adenosis of minor salivary glands: report of three cases and review of the literature
Vikki L Noonan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Boston University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:516-20. 2007
..Three new cases of SPCA involving minor glands are added to 1 existing case in the literature to raise awareness of the lesion and to reduce the likelihood of misdiagnosis...
- Apparent diffusion coefficient mapping of salivary gland tumors: prediction of the benignancy and malignancy
Department of Radiology and Cancer Biology, Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:116-21. 2007
..We evaluate the preoperative apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) maps of benign and malignant salivary gland tumors...
- Scintigraphic evaluation of salivary gland dysfunction in patients with thyroid cancer after radioiodine treatment
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Nucl Med 27:767-71. 2002
..This study was undertaken to determine whether Tc-99m pertechnetate salivary gland scintigraphy may be used for objective assessment of salivary gland function in patients with thyroid cancer treated with I-131...
- Vascular endothelial cell participation in formation of lymphoepithelial lesions (epi-myoepithelial islands) in lymphoepithelial sialadenitis (benign lymphoepithelial lesion)
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Tissue Regeneration and Reconstruction, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakkocho dori, 951 8514 Niigata, Japan
Virchows Arch 443:17-27. 2003
..This intra-LEL vasculature seems to support regeneration and proliferation of salivary epithelial remnant cells...
- Diagnosis of systemic sarcoidosis prompted by orofacial manifestations: a review of the literature
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Dental School, Newark 07103, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:54-60. 2006
..Sarcoidosis also may manifest in the oral and maxillofacial region...
- Sialoscopy--initial experiences with a new endoscope
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Waldstr 1, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:293-8. 2004
..1 mm, a working channel of 0.4 mm, and a separate channel for irrigation has been developed and we examined its clinical value...
- Clinical application of magnetic resonance sialographic 3-dimensional reconstruction imaging and magnetic resonance virtual endoscopy for salivary gland duct analysis
Department of Dental Radiology, Kyushu Dental College, 2 6 1 Manazuru, Kokurakita ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 803 8580, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1237-45. 2004
- Herniation of the mylohyoid muscle
Institute of Anatomy, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Graz, Austria
J Craniofac Surg 15:566-9. 2004
..The following study points out the spatial relation of the salivary glands to the floor of the mouth and the clinical significance, and some factors referred to the development of herniations are discussed...
- Appropriate utilization of semi-quantitative analysis in salivary scintigraphy
Nuclear Medicine Division, Hunter Imaging Group, Pacific Medical Imaging, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Nucl Med Commun 25:1203-10. 2004
..The purpose of this case-control study was to determine whether semi-quantitative indices derived from salivary time-activity curves (TACs) are useful in the diagnosis and management of xerostomia...
- Salivary gland and temporomandibular joint involvement in rheumatoid arthritis: relation to disease activity
Broegelmann Research Laboratory, The Gade Institute, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Oral Dis 11:27-34. 2005
..To study temporomandibular joint (TMJ) involvement, salivary gland dysfunction and oral mucosal lesions in rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and to investigate the relationship to general disease activity...
- The diagnosis and surgical management of major salivary gland pathology
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Aust Dent J 49:9-15. 2004
..The purpose of this study was to analyze a consecutive series of major gland pathologies treated surgically to determine diagnostic and treatment problems...
- [Systemic pathology and the salivary glands]
Service de Chirurgie Plastique et Maxillo Faciale, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgique
Rev Belge Med Dent (1984) 61:154-60. 2006
..After a short anatomical and semiological recall, we describe the pathologies according to their possible salivary demonstrations, and we propose in a table a useful memorandum in daily practice...
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma and polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of minor salivary glands: a comparative immunohistochemical study using the epithelial membrane and carcinoembryonic antibodies
Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, Universit of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Oral Dis 11:175-80. 2005
- Chronic GVHD in minor salivary glands and oral mucosa: histopathological and immunohistochemical evaluation of 25 patients
A B Soares
Department of Oral Pathology, State University of Campinas, Campinas SP, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 34:368-73. 2005
..Host Disease (cGVHD) in oral mucosa and minor salivary glands of 25 patients, as well as to evaluate the immunophenotype of the inflammatory cells...
- Histological and histochemical observations on salivary microliths in ferret
Oral Pathology, Department and School of Dental Sciences, The University of Liverpool, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5PS, UK
Arch Oral Biol 51:198-205. 2006
..Probably there is secretory inactivity in ferret parotid and this fosters the formation and accumulation of microliths containing calcium and disintegrated secretory material...
- Testing your diagnostic skills. Case no. 1: salivary gland duct cyst with septic sialolith
Todays FDA 17:20, 22-3. 2005
- Development of autoimmune exocrinopathy resembling Sjögren's syndrome in estrogen-deficient mice of healthy background
Department of Pathology, Tokushima University School of Dentistry, The University of Tokushima School of Medicine, Tokushima, Japan
Am J Pathol 163:1481-90. 2003
..These results suggest that estrogen deficiency exerts a crucial influence on autoantigen cleavage, and may cause, in part, autoimmune exocrinopathy in postmenopausal women...
- Salivary gland scintigraphy in Sjögren's syndrome: are quantitative indices the answer?
B K Adams
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Mafraq Hospital, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Nucl Med Commun 24:1011-6. 2003
..However, the extensive overlap between xerostomic patients and normal controls for all the quantitative indices calculated imposes a severe limitation on their discriminatory power...
- Case study: submandibular mass in a premature infant
Morven S Edwards
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 14:71, 182-3. 2003
- Histopathological analysis and demonstration of EBV and HIV p-24 antigen but not CMV expression in labial minor salivary glands of HIV patients affected by diffuse infiltrative lymphocytosis syndrome
Faculty of Dentistry, Central University of Venezuela, Venezuela
J Oral Pathol Med 32:431-7. 2003
..The diffuse infiltrative lymphocytosis syndrome (DILS) in HIV patients is characterized by the persistence of CD8-circulating lymphocytes and lymphocytic infiltration, predominantly in salivary glands...
- Sialodochoplasty in the treatment of salivary-duct stricture in chronic sialoadenitis: technique and results
Sezione di Scienze Radiologiche, Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Mediche e Medicina Legale, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, I 90137 Palermo, Italy
Radiol Med 112:138-44. 2007
..This study was undertaken to investigate peroral balloon angioplasty of salivary-duct strictures (sialodochoplasty) in chronic sialadenitis, analysing the technique, results and limitations...
- Comparative study of MR sialography and digital subtraction sialography for benign salivary gland disorders
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Philipps University Hospital, Baldingerstrasse, 35033 Marburg, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23:1485-92. 2002
MR sialography has become an alternative imaging technique for ductal salivary gland diseases. We compared the diagnostic accuracies of MR sialography and digital subtraction sialography in patients with successful completion of both ..
- [MR sialography: evaluation of an ultra-fast sequence in consideration of a parallel acquisition technique and different functional conditions in patients with salivary gland diseases]
Diagnostikzentrum, Klinik und Poliklinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Rofo 179:153-8. 2007
..an ultra-fast sequence for MR sialography requiring no post-processing and to compare the acquisition technique regarding the effect of oral stimulation with a parallel acquisition technique in patients with salivary gland diseases.
- Diagnostic challenges in aspiration cytology of the salivary glands
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 18:124-46. 2001
..This article addresses differential diagnoses according to the predominant cytologic presentation with attention to the cell type and size, nature of the cytoplasm, and the smear background...
- Plunging ranula as a complication of intraoral removal of a submandibular sialolith
The First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Osaka University Faculty of Dentistry, Osaka, Japan
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:214-6. 2001
..Mucous cysts in the submandibular region--so-called 'plunging' ranula--are relatively uncommon. We report a case of a plunging ranula that complicated excision of an intraductal sialolith of the submandibular gland...
- Amplification of extracellular matrix and oncogenes in tat-transfected human salivary gland cell lines with expression of laminin, fibronectin, collagens I, III, IV, c-myc and p53
C P McArthur
Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri Kansas City, 650 E 25th Street, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Arch Oral Biol 46:545-55. 2001
..These cell lines provide a useful system for studying the role of tat in the immunopathogenesis of HIV-associated salivary gland disease...
- Restoring the function of salivary glands
Department of Tissue Engineering, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Oral Dis 14:15-24. 2008
..First, the possibility of salivary gland regeneration and tissue engineering is discussed with reference to stem cells, growth factors and scaffold materials. Second, the current status of gene transfer to salivary glands is discussed...
- Variation in the response to ductal obstruction of feline submandibular and sublingual salivary glands and the importance of the innervation
J D Harrison
Department of Oral Pathology, Guy's, King's and St Thomas's Dental Institute, London, England
J Oral Pathol Med 30:29-34. 2001
..The results establish the atrophic effect of inclusion of the chorda tympani in ductal ligation and indicate the caution that should be exercised in the extrapolation of the rodent model to the human condition...
- Expression of the antimicrobial peptide, human beta-defensin 1, in duct cells of minor salivary glands and detection in saliva
K S Sahasrabudhe
Dept of Oral Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7132, USA
J Dent Res 79:1669-74. 2000
..Association of hBD-1 with salivary mucin may facilitate peptide distribution and adherence to oral surfaces and aid its function within the oral cavity...
- Analysis of fine-needle aspiration cytology of the salivary gland
I Shiow Jan
Department of Laboratory Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 107:364-70. 2008
..This study investigated the accuracy of FNA cytology of salivary gland lesions by correlation between histology and cytology...
- [Sialendoscopy of the salivary glands]
Service de stomatologie et de chirurgie maxillofaciale, CHU de la Timone, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 109:167-71. 2008
..Sialoendoscopy is a simple efficient mode of treatment for major salivary gland sialoliths and strictures...
- Botulinum toxin therapy: a tempting tool in the management of salivary secretory disorders
Department of Otorhinolaryngological and Ophthalmological Sciences, University of Milan, Policlinico Foundation IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 29:333-8. 2008
..The aim of the study was to investigate the feasibility and effectiveness of botulinum toxin therapy in salivary secretory disorders...
- [Diagnosis and therapy of non-odontogenic orofacial infections]
F K Spijkervet
Uit de Afdeling Mondziekten en Kaakchirurgie en Bijzondere Tandheelkunde van het Academisch Ziekenhuis Groninger
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 108:216-22. 2001
..The article concerns peculiarly several clinical and therapeutic consequences of non-dontogenic orofacial infections...
- Transfer of the AQP1 cDNA for the correction of radiation-induced salivary hypofunction
Bruce J Baum
Gene Therapy and Therapeutics Branch, Bethesda, MD 20892 1190, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:1071-7. 2006
..Based on these results, we are developing a clinical trial to test if the hAQP1 cDNA transfer strategy will be clinically effective in restoring salivary flow in patients with IR-induced parotid hypofunction...
- [Oral complications of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and other metabolic disorders]
A van Nieuw Amerongen
Uit de afdeling Tandheelkundige Basiswetenschappen, subafdeling Orale Biochemie van het Academisch Centrum Tandheelkunde Amsterdam (ACTA
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 108:242-7. 2001
..The salivary glands are regularly swollen without pain; a hypofunction in the salivary secretory process may develop resulting in dry mouth feelings. In this paper these aspects will be reviewed and illustrated with patient cases...
- The utility of fine needle aspiration in HIV positive children
Cytology Unit, National Health Laboratory Service and University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Cytopathology 19:86-93. 2008
..To determine the spectrum of disease, diagnostic accuracy and adequacy of fine needle aspirates (FNA) in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive children who present with mass lesions...
- Oral manifestations of HIV infection
Jacqueline M Plemons
Department of Periodontics, Texas A and M University System, Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas, USA
Tex Dent J 119:508-18. 2002
- The enigmatic mechanism of irradiation-induced damage to the major salivary glands
R M Nagler
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Oral Dis 8:141-6. 2002
..These metal ions, which seem to be associated with secretion granules, are not necessarily contained within the granules as previously suggested, but rather are probably located at sites more proximal to the DNA...
- [Peculiarities of diagnosis and treatment of patients with hyposialosis]
V N Matina
Stomatologiia (Mosk) 85:46-50. 2006
..Reduction of thyosulfide index in the blood plasma of these patients was determined. Use of antioxidant remedy in complex treatment of syaloadenopatya and syalosis was substanciated in this paper...
- Imaging of salivary gland tumours
Harriet C Thoeny
Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology and Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital of Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Cancer Imaging 7:52-62. 2007
..The imaging features of different tumour types and their differential diagnoses are also discussed. Finally, staging classification and treatment options are presented...
- [DNA ploidy and proliferative activity in salivary gland tumours]
Universitat Regensburg, Klinik und Poliklinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 11:139-44. 2007
..While aneuploidy represents a distinct indicator of malignancy SPF values are of minor relevance for dignity assessment in salivary gland tumours...
- Benign salivary gland disease
P J Bradley
University Hospital, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH
Hosp Med 62:392-5. 2001
..However, there are numerous minor salivary glands located in the mucosa of the head and neck which have the same predilection to the same diseases that affect the major glands but to a lesser frequency...
- Salivary gland scintigraphy in gastro-esophageal reflux disease
Department of General Medicine and Emergency Care, Toho University School of Medicine, 6 11 1, Omori Nishi, Ota ku, Tokyo 143 8541, Japan
Inflammopharmacology 15:141-5. 2007
..Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) is associated with a decreased salivary flow as well as gastric acid production. This study therefore aimed to investigate functional disorders of salivary glands in patients with GERD...
- [Ultrasonography in the diagnosis of post-pubertal epidemic parotitis and its complications]
Servizio di Ecografia ed Ecointerventistica, Azienda Ospedaliera D Cotugno, Napoli
Radiol Med 99:461-4. 2000
..To assess the yield of US in the study of salivary glands and other organs involved in post-pubertal mumps...
- Endoscopic technique for the diagnosis and treatment of obstructive salivary gland diseases
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 57:1394-401; discussion 1401-2. 1999
- Diseases of the salivary glands in infants and adolescents
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Head Face Med 6:1. 2010
..Clinical examination and diagnosis has also to differentiate between salivary gland cysts and inflammation or tumors...
- Isoenzymes of N-acetyl-beta-hexosaminidase in human pleomorphic adenoma and healthy salivary glands: a preliminary study
Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:131-6. 2008
..The aim of our study was to evaluate HEX A and HEX B activity in healthy and PA human salivary glands using colorimetric and isoelectrofocusing methods...
- Epidemiology of salivary gland infections
Tonbridge Dental Practice, 155 High Street, Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 21:353-7. 2009
..sialadenitis from a personal perspective based on 15 years of clinical practice limited mainly to salivary gland diseases. Disorders of the salivary glands are uncommon...
- [Diffuse hyperplastic oncocytosis of the parotid gland]
Specjalistyczne Centrum Diagnostyczno Zabiegowe Medicina w Krakowie, Oddział Otolaryngologiczny
Pol Merkur Lekarski 21:356-7. 2006
..The WHO classification of salivary gland diseases considers 3 oncocytic lesions: oncocytosis, oncocytoma and oncocytic carcinoma...
- Oral mucoceles and ranulas may be part of initial manifestations of HIV infection
Department of Maxillo Facial and Oral Surgery, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:1075-8. 2010
..documented and generally accepted that enlargement of parotid salivary glands, as part of HIV-related salivary gland diseases (HIV-SGD), may be the initial symptoms/manifestations of the HIV infection...
- Serum IgG4 concentrations and IgG4-related sclerosing disease
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Chim Acta 408:25-8. 2009
- Systems analysis of salivary gland development and disease
Biological Sciences, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, USA
Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med 2:670-82. 2010
..However, in many salivary gland diseases, saliva-producing acinar cells are destroyed, resulting in dry mouth and secondary health conditions...
- Prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus seropositivity in head and neck malignancies in sub-Saharan Africa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1218-21. 2007
b>Salivary gland diseases should be handled with a high index of suspicion. Although an inference could be drawn it is not clear from this study if primary head and neck cancers (HNCs) have a significant association with HIV/AIDS.
- Salivary simulation with ascorbic acid enhances sonographic diagnosis of obstructive sialadenitis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg FAU Medical School, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Ultrasound 37:329-32. 2009
..Normally, the duct network of the submandibular and parotid glands is not visible during US assessment. In obstructive sialadenitis of the parotid and submandibular glands, localization of the obstacle is often difficult...
- An audit of oral diseases at a Nairobi centre, 2000-2004
E A O Dimba
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Pathology and Medicine, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Int Dent J 57:439-44. 2007
..To describe oral diseases diagnosed in an urban referral centre in Kenya in terms of age, gender and anatomical distribution and to compare this with reports in the literature...
- [Bacterial sialadenitis]
Klink und Poliklinik für HNO Heilkunde Kopf und Halschirurgie, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Ulm, Oberer Eselsberg 40, 89081, Ulm
HNO 58:229-36. 2010
..Predisposing factors for the ductally ascending infection, are dehydration, xerogenic drugs and salivary gland diseases associated with ductal obstructions or reduced saliva secretion...
- [Vitamin C as contrast agent in diagnosis of salivary duct obstruction]
Laryngorhinootologie 88:290-2. 2009
..In 43 patients with obstructive salivary gland diseases ultrasound examination of the parotid and submandibular glands was carried out before and after oral ..
- Benign and malignant salivary gland diseases in children A retrospective study of 549 cases from the Salivary Gland Registry, Hamburg
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Auris Nasus Larynx 36:326-31. 2009
Tumors of salivary glands in children are rare. Basically all types of salivary gland diseases during the period of childhood are described...
- Sialolithiasis of the submandibular salivary gland treated with the 810- to 830-nm diode laser
Universita degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia Sezione Anatomia Patologica Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza, Italy
Photomed Laser Surg 26:517-21. 2008
Surgical management of salivary gland diseases has always been challenging because it carries a considerable risk of nerve damage...
- [Video-endoscopy of the major salivary glands]
C M Ziegler
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 3:320-4. 1999
..Furthermore, endoscopy is of high value for the diagnosis and treatment of other salivary gland diseases in which there are pathological changes of the ductal system...
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy in a diagnostic workup algorithm of salivary gland tumors
Department of Radiology, St Elizabeth Cancer Institute, Bratislava 812 50, Slovak Republic
Neoplasma 50:144-7. 2003
The ultrasonic diagnosis of salivary gland diseases can give a more accurate information than clinical data alone. In diagnosis of the parotid gland diseases, it is necessary to differentiate clearly tumors from other diseases...
- [Clinic and ultrasound of salivary gland diseases--Part II]
Hals Nasen Ohren Praxis, Studer and Berlinger Trütsch, Schwyz
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:69-72. 2008
..The use of ultrasound can confirm a diagnosis that has been suggested by case history and findings. Evidence of a mass is an indication for fine-needle aspiration. This does not eliminate the need for histological follow-up...
- Collection, storage, and processing of saliva samples for downstream molecular applications
Bradley Stephen Henson
College of Dental Medicine, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 666:21-30. 2010
..Saliva has been used to detect caries risk, periodontitis, oral cancer, breast cancer, salivary gland diseases, and systemic disorders such as hepatitis, HIV and HCV...
- Advanced sialoendoscopy techniques, rare findings, and complications
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon 78306, Israel
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 42:1053-72, Table of Contents. 2009
..which adds significant new dimensions to the surgeon's armamentarium for management of inflammatory salivary gland diseases. Because of the rapid development in minimally invasive surgical techniques, surgeons are capable of more ..
- Tumors of the salivary glands in childhood and adolescence
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1049-58. 2006
..We report on 52 juvenile and adolescent patients with benign and malignant tumors of the salivary glands. Controlled follow-up was carried out to examine outcome and side effects of therapy...
- Scintigraphic assessment of salivary gland function in a rat model
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Philipps University, Baldingerstraße, 35043 Marburg, Germany
In Vivo 24:681-5. 2010
..relevance for the investigation of promising new diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for chronic salivary gland diseases. This study reports the first experiences with scintigraphic analyses of salivary gland function in a rat ..
- Influence of outer surface protein A antibody on Borrelia burgdorferi within feeding ticks
A M de Silva
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Infect Immun 67:30-5. 1999
..burgdorferi to invade the salivary glands of the vector; alternately, OspA antibodies may lower the density of spirochetes within feeding ticks below a critical threshold required for initiating events linked to transmission...
- [Oral medicine 2. Treatment of dry mouth]
Afdeling Kaakchirurgie, Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 119:555-60. 2012
..In addition, the use of saliva replacement therapy might be beneficial, but only with proper instruction. With regard to the caries risk in dentate patients, a fluoride rinse or gel should be prescribed...
- Do we need new diagnostic criteria for Sjögren's syndrome?
Troy E Daniels
University of California, San Francisco, Schools of Dentistry and Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 0422, United States
Presse Med 41:e441-9. 2012
..Such is the goal and promise of the latest entry into the SS classification criteria field...
- Major salivary gland diseases. Multicentre study
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Bari, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 25:182-90. 2005
..7 on survival and metastasis rate of 16.5%. Finally, mucoepidermoid carcinoma tumours showed best survival, followed by adenoid-cystic carcinoma with ranges, respectively, 83 and 81...
- [How can an otolaryngologist benefit from artificial neural networks?]
Klinika Otolaryngologii UJ CM w Krakowie, Poland
Otolaryngol Pol 66:241-8. 2012
..studies concern the fields of rhinology, audiology, phoniatrics, vestibulology, oncology, sleep apnea and salivary gland diseases. The authors also refer to their own experience with predictive neural models designed in the Department ..
- A systematic review of methods to diagnose oral dryness and salivary gland function
Christina Diogo Löfgren
Department of Materials Science and Technology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
BMC Oral Health 12:29. 2012
..The aim of this systematic review is to evaluate the quality of the evidence for the efficacy of diagnostic methods used to identify oral dryness...
- Clinical and histopathological review of 229 cases of ranula
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 31:717-20. 2011
- Giant sialocele following facial trauma
Rui Medeiros Júnior
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program, Hospital of Restoration, Recife, PE, Brazil
Braz Dent J 23:82-6. 2012
..This technique was shown to be a safe, effective and low-cost option, leading to complete resolution and no recurrence after 28 months of follow up...
- [Treatment of primary Sjögren syndrome]
Service de rhumatologie et laboratoire d immunologie, CHU de la Cavale Blanche, 29609 Brest Cedex
Rev Prat 62:234-8. 2012
..Symptomatic treatment is systematic, whereas systemic treatment is limited to the active extra glandular forms. There is no international treatment consensus. Biologics are currently evaluated...
- Review of salivary papers published in the British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery during 2009-2010
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 49:627-9. 2011
..This article continues a series of reviews, which aim to provide readers with a quick overview and update of recent publications in the British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (BJOMS) within a particular subspecialty...
- Imaging of salivary gland pathology
J D Rabinov
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 38:1047-57, x-xi. 2000
..This article discusses the different types of salivary gland conditions and the best methods of imaging for diagnosis...
- Major salivary gland imaging
D M Yousem
Department of Radiology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 N Wolfe St, Houck B 112, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Radiology 216:19-29. 2000
..Sialography is reserved for the evaluation of chronic sialadenitides unrelated to sialolithiasis. Thin-section MR techniques for MR sialography may soon replace conventional sialography...
- Salivary stones and stenosis. A comprehensive classification
Clinique Générale Beaulieu, 20, chemin Beau Soleil, CH 1206 Genève, Switzerland
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 109:233-6. 2008
..Therefore, a classification of these pathologies is needed, allowing large series comparisons, for better diagnosis and treatment of salivary pathologies...
- Botulinum toxin for treatment of glandular hypersecretory disorders
T A Laing
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:1024-8. 2008
- The role of radioactive iodine in salivary gland dysfunction
K A Newkirk
Department of Otolaryngology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 79:460-8. 2000
..In this article, we examine the salivary gland complications associated with radioactive iodine therapy, and we suggest potential protective mechanisms to circumvent these problems...
- The utility of SPECT in determining the relationship between radiation dose and salivary gland dysfunction after radiotherapy
F Van Acker
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospitals of Leuven, The Netherlands
Nucl Med Commun 22:225-31. 2001
..It offers the unique possibility for the assessment of intra-individual dose-dysfunction curves in patients with large variations in the radiation dose within the parotids...
- [Implications of antiretroviral therapy in oral medicine--a review of literature]
Rainer A Jordan
Universitätszahnklinik, Abteilung für Konservierende Zahnheilkunde, Bereich Community Dentistry, Fakultät für Zahn, Mund und Kieferheilkunde, Universitat Witten Herdecke
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 117:1210-6. 2007
- Salivary glands as a model for craniofacial applications of gene transfer
B J Baum
Gene Therapy and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 29:163-6. 2000
..The purpose of this review is to familiarize the oral and maxillofacial surgeon with this technology. Studies performed with salivary glands in animal models are presented as examples of proof of concept...
- Do oral lesions associated with HIV affect quality of life?
Division of Public Oral Health, School of Public Health, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:66-73. 2008
..To assess the impact of oral lesions on quality of life (QOL) in HIV-positive (HIV+) individuals using the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP)...
- Glandular odontogenic cyst: a challenge in diagnosis and treatment
Oral Pathology Service, Institute of Pathology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Oral Dis 14:575-81. 2008
..Definite diagnosis may not be possible in small incisional biopsies due to the focal presentation of characteristic features required for diagnosis. There is now evidence to support an odontogenic rather than a sialogenic origin...