Summary: A congenital defect in which the mouth is unusually small. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications155 found, 100 shown here
- Fabrication of a sectional impression tray and sectional complete denture for a patient with microstomia and trismus: a clinical reportCenk Cura
Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Prosthet Dent 89:540-3. 2003..These 2 factors increased the thickness of the denture and limited the volume of the tongue. Nevertheless, a single-piece denture base provided the patient with ease in placement and removal of the denture...
- Prosthetic rehabilitation for a patient with microstomia: a clinical reportRoberto Benetti
L Mariutto General Hospital, Mirano, Venice, Italy
J Prosthet Dent 92:322-7. 2004..impression tray technique and a custom-made palatal hinge mechanism for a partially edentulous woman with microstomia resulting from scleroderma...
- Impression procedures and construction of a sectional denture for a patient with microstomia: a clinical reportOnur Geckili
Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Prosthet Dent 96:387-90. 2006..Fabricating the denture in 2 pieces (a smaller anterior piece and a larger, hinged, collapsible posterior piece) enabled the patient to place and remove the denture...
- Fabricating sectional-collapsible complete dentures for an edentulous patient with microstomia induced by sclerodermaIdil Dikbas
Department oft Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Quintessence Int 38:15-22. 2007Patients with microstomia who have to wear removable dental prostheses often face the difficulty of being unable to insert or remove the prosthesis because of the constricted opening of the oral cavity...
- Flexible, removable partial denture for a patient with systemic sclerosis (scleroderma) and microstomia: a clinical report and a three-year follow-upNachum Samet
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials Science, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gen Dent 55:548-51. 2007This article describes an optional mode of treatment for a partially edentulous patient with severe microstomia, severe changes to the intraoral soft tissues, and compromised hand function...
- Microstomia caused by swallowing of caustic soda: report of a caseWilson Denis Martins
Catholic University of Paraná PUCPR in Curitiba, Brazil
J Contemp Dent Pract 4:91-9. 2003A case of microstomia caused by swallowing caustic soda is presented. A 54-year old man developed a progressive stricture of the circumoral region following accidental ingestion of caustic soda when he was 9 years old...
- Hypomandibular faciocranial dysostosis in consanguineous parents revealed by ultrasound prenatal diagnosisChristel Thauvin-Robinet
Centre de Genetique, Hôpital d Enfants, Dijon, France
Prenat Diagn 22:710-4. 2002..The diagnosis was made at birth on the association of severe retrognathia, microstomia, severe hypoglossia with glossoptosis, persistent buccopharyngeal membrane, median cleft palate, bifid uvula, ..
- The sixth clinical report of a rare association: agnathia-holoprosencephaly-situs inversusSelcuk Ozden
Prenat Diagn 22:840-2. 2002
- Fetal manifestation of the Fine-Lubinsky syndrome. Brachycephaly, deafness, cataract, microstomia and mental retardation syndrome complicated by Pierre-Robin anomaly and polyhydramniosKatharina Schoner
Institute of Pathology, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Fetal Diagn Ther 23:228-32. 2008..We report on a female fetus of 24 weeks gestational age with Fine-Lubinsky syndrome (FLS), representing the 7th case published so far...
- Modified bimaxillary distraction osteogenesis: a technique to correct facial asymmetryEhab A A Shehata
Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Egypt Dental Department, Al Hada Al Taief Armed Military Hospital, Al Taief, Saudi Arabia
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:471-7. 2007..To study the efficacy of modified simultaneous maxillary-mandibular distraction to correct facial asymmetry in patients with compensated occlusion and a canted occlusal plane...
- Anaesthetic and airway management in a child with Hanhart's syndromeDeniz Karakaya
Department of Anaesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 13:263-6. 2003..Difficult airway due to micrognathia may complicate anaesthetic management in this syndrome. We describe the anaesthetic management of a child with Hanhart's syndrome undergoing plastic reconstructive surgery...
- Freeman-Sheldon syndrome: a case reportGamze Aren
Department of Pedodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Quintessence Int 34:307-10. 2003..Characteristics include microstomia of the mouth, which gives the person a whistling appearance, a flat face, club feet, contracted joint muscles ..
- Otocephaly or agnathia-synotia-microstomia syndrome: report of a caseBrian M O'Neill
Department of Dentistry, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:834-7. 2003
- Small mouths ... Big problems? A review of scleroderma and its oral health implicationsJonathan B Albilia
Division of Oral and MaxillofacialSurgery and Anesthesia, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 73:831-6. 2007..The features of CREST syndrome and morphea are reviewed. Concerns relevant to the prevention of dental disease and the safe delivery of dental care in this group of challenging patients are emphasized...
- Auriculo-condylar syndrome is associated with highly variable ear and mandibular defects in multiple kindredsAndrea L Storm
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Medical and Molecular Genetics, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Am J Med Genet A 138:141-5. 2005..auricular clefts, mandibular condyle hypoplasia, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) abnormalities, micrognathia, microstomia, and a round facial appearance with prominent cheeks...
- [Sectional acrylic dentures for a partially edentulous patient with microstomia: a clinical report]Midori Suzuki
The First Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine
Nihon Hotetsu Shika Gakkai Zasshi 50:87-90. 2006The patient was a 48-year-old partially edentulous male with microstomia. His chief complaints were masticatory disturbance and aesthetic problems caused by missing teeth...
- [Anesthetic management of an infant with Freeman-Sheldon syndrome]Megumi Okawa
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka Medical Center, Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Izumi 594 1101
Masui 51:659-62. 2002..He had features of the syndrome including blepharophimosis, hypertelorism, a flat nose, microstomia with a limited opening, micrognathia, a very short webbed neck, scoliosis and multiple arthrogryposis...
- Original sagittal split osteotomy revisited for mandibular distractionJ Y Choi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Korea
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 29:165-73. 2001..Therefore, we suggest that sagittal split ramus osteotomy should be used as a preferred modification of osteotomy for mandibular distraction...
- Oro-dental and craniofacial anomalies in LEOPARD syndromeA A Yam
Institut d'Odontologie, , Dakar,
Oral Dis 7:200-2. 2001..Therefore, dental and craniofacial anomalies might be expected in some cases of the disease. The therapeutic management of the lesions, and the follow-up of the patient would be done by a multidisciplinary team...
- Effect of calcium sulfate pellets on early bone mineralization in distraction osteogenesis for craniofacial microsomia in adultsJong Yeop Kim
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 18:1309-21. 2007..In conclusion, results of the present study suggested that calcium sulfate is a very active, economic, and biocompatible osteoconductive material, which has a good effect on early consolidation in distraction osteogenesis...
- Topical review-connective tissue diseases: orofacial manifestations including painGary D Klasser
College of Dentistry, Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612 7213, USA
J Orofac Pain 21:171-84. 2007..This will allow the practitioner the opportunity to contribute and collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary health-care team in the management of these systemic autoimmune diseases...
- Scleroderma: considerations for dental hygienistsS L Tolle
School of Dental Hygiene, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 23529 0499, USA
Int J Dent Hyg 6:77-83. 2008..With this information, dental hygienists will be better prepared to provide compassionate, safe and effective dental hygiene management and care to patients with scleroderma...
- OtocephalyKwei Shuai Hwang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 70:298-301. 2007Otocephaly is a rare lethal syndrome of microstomia, aglossia, agnathia, and synotia. This male infant was born to a 19-year-old, gravida 1, para 0, woman who received routine prenatal check-up...
- Morphological variability of inferior alveolar nerve in low-grade craniofacial microsomiaElaine Y L Kan
Middlemore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
J Craniofac Surg 13:53-8. 2002..In conclusion, the inferior alveolar nerve should be found in very similar locations on both normal and microsomic sides in low-grade hemifacial microsomic patients...
- Prosthodontic management of an irradiated maxillectomy patient with severe trismus using implant-supported prostheses: a clinical reportAnsgar C Cheng
Graduate Prosthodontics, National University of Singapore, Singapore
J Prosthet Dent 99:344-50. 2008..An edentulous patient who developed microstomia after a maxillary tumor resection and radiation therapy is presented...
- Is hemifacial microsomia linked to multiple maternities?K Lawson
Craniofacial Unit, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Br J Plast Surg 55:474-8. 2002..This study supports the hypothesis that hemifacial microsomia and microtia are in some way linked to multiple births. Analysis of this link may provide new directions for research into the aetiology of a variety of congenital defects...
- The oral implications of caustic soda ingestion in childrenFiona Ryan
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental and Maxillofacial Department, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:29-34. 2006..There is perhaps a role for further investigation of early use of antiproliferative agents to prevent scarring, more aggressive surgery, and long-term physiotherapy appliance use. These patients require lifelong follow-up...
- Dental treatment in a patient with epidermolysis bullosaMaria Alice Siqueira
Center of Formation of Human Resources Specialized in Dental Care for Special Needs Patients, School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Spec Care Dentist 28:92-5. 2008..The repetition of these episodes in the oral cavity leads to atrophy of the mucosa, causing microstomia, ankyloglossia, tongue denudation, and vestibule obliteration, characteristics that make dental treatment ..
- Freeman-Sheldon syndrome: a case reportL A Corrigan
Department of Paediatric and Preventive Dentistry, School of Clinical Dentistry, Royal Group of Hospitals, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J Paediatr Dent 16:440-3. 2006Freeman-Sheldon Syndrome is a rare craniofacial syndrome that has not been described in the dental literature to date. The main feature of relevance is severe microstomia, which limits access for routine dental care.
- A classification system and algorithm for reconstruction of maxillectomy and midfacial defectsP G Cordeiro
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:2331-46; discussion 2347-8. 2000..10 patients with excision/reconstruction of the oral commissure; however, two patients (20 percent) developed microstomia after receiving radiotherapy...
- Adding versatility to the reconstruction of intraoral lining: opened pocket methodCan Cinar
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 18:198-202. 2007..She also had a satisfactory oral competence and an acceptable appearance, without microstomia. Despite its disadvantages, prefabrication can make the scapular fascia-cutaneous flap suitable for ..
- Auriculo-condylar syndrome: mapping of a first locus and evidence for genetic heterogeneityCibele Masotti
Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Hum Genet 16:145-52. 2008..and second pharyngeal arches, is characterized by malformed ears ('question mark ears'), prominent cheeks, microstomia, abnormal temporomandibular joint, and mandibular condyle hypoplasia...
- Free radial forearm flap lip reconstruction: a clinical series and case reports of technical refinementsMahendra Daya
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Ann Plast Surg 62:361-7. 2009..The use of local tissue for subtotal lower lip loss problems like microstomia and facial and commissure distortion are real risks...
- Dysmorphic syndrome of hereditary neuralgic amyotrophy associated with a SEPT9 gene mutation--a family studyF Laccone
Department of Medical Genetics, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Genet 74:279-83. 2008..an apparent dysmorphic syndrome, including hypotelorism, blepharophimosis, slight ptosis, epicanthal folds, microstomia and dysmorphic ears. One sibling had a cleft palate...
- A case of otocephaly with anencephaly and meningomyeloceleT Tos
Department of Genetics, Dr Sami Ulus Maternity and Children s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Genet Couns 21:325-8. 2010A case of otocephaly with anencephaly and meningomyelocele: Otocephaly is a rare lethal syndrome with microstomia, aglossia, agnathia, and synotia as major clinical features due to arrest in development of the first branchial arch...
- Airway management during an EXIT procedure for a fetus with dysgnathia complexPaul A Baker
Department of Anaesthesia, Auckland Children s Hospital, Park Road, Auckland, New Zealand
Paediatr Anaesth 14:781-6. 2004..is a rare disorder with a probable genetic basis characterized by a hypoplastic or absent mandible (agnathia), microstomia, microglossia, and ear anomalies secondary to a defect in the ventral portion of the first branchial arch ..
- Sectional impression tray and sectional denture for a microstomia patientShreya S Colvenkar
Department of Prosthodontics, MNR Dental College and Hospital, Sangareddy, Andhra Pradesh 502294, India
J Prosthodont 19:161-5. 2010b>Microstomia presents a unique challenge to the patient...
- Management of the oral surgery patient diagnosed with epidermolysis bullosa: report of 3 cases and review of the literatureFranci Stavropoulos
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, FL 32610 0416, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:554-9. 2008
- Current perspectives on the etiology of agnathia-otocephalyJean Gekas
Human Genetics Research Unit, Centre de recherché de l hôpital Saint François d Assise, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Med Genet 53:358-66. 2010Agnathia-otocephaly, a rare, sporadic and lethal malformation, is characterized by microstomia (small mouth), aglossia (absence of the tongue), agnathia (absence of the lower jaw) and abnormally positioned ears...
- Fine-Lubinsky syndrome: sibling pair suggests possible autosomal recessive inheritanceAshley M Holder
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Med Genet A 143:2576-80. 2007In 1983, Fine and Lubinsky reported a single patient with craniofacial anomalies, hearing loss, cataracts, microstomia, CNS anomalies, and developmental delay...
- Prenatal sonographic diagnosis of isolated agnathia: a case reportS H Yang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 22:190-3. 2003Agnathia is a rare malformation characterized by the absence of the mandible, microstomia, aplasia or hypoplasia of the tongue, and low-set or medially fused ears...
- Lower lip reconstruction with local neuromusculocutaneous advancement flapGursel Turgut
Sisli Etfal Research Hospital, Department of Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:1196-201. 2009..With these techniques, microstomia, commissural distortion, functional insufficiency, and sensorial loss might be observed...
- Chromosome 22q11.2 microdeletion in a patient with hemophilia AMurat Derbent
Department of Pediatrics, Clinical Genetics Unit, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, 6, Street Bahcelievler, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Ann Genet 47:181-4. 2004..voice quality and articulation, narrow palpebral fissures, broad and depressed nasal root, high-arched palate, microstomia, and overfolded ears. The patient had no associated congenital cardiac or palatal malformations...
- Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy for scleromyxedema: a case report and review of literatureNovie Sroa
Division of Dermatology, Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43221, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 9:263-5. 2010..to widespread and indurated plaques resulting in patient disability via decreased mobility, sclerodactyly and microstomia. Abnormalities in the muscular, neurologic, rheumatologic, pulmonary, renal and cardiovascular systems may ..
- Scleromyxoedema: treatment of cutaneous and systemic manifestations with high-dose intravenous immunoglobulinA Kulczycki
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Medicine, Washington School of Medicine St Louis, MO, U S A
Br J Dermatol 149:1276-81. 2003..As all patients had perioral skin involvement and microstomia, one measure of cutaneous improvement was the increase in intraincisor distance...
- A sectional stock tray system for making impressionsChikahiro Ohkubo
Department of Removable Prosthodontics, Tsurumi Univeristy School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
J Prosthet Dent 90:201-4. 2003..It may be used not only for individual dental arches but also for patients with microstomia or constricted oral openings...
- [Application of stud structure to sectional upper complete denture for a patient with microstomia]Yong Lin Jiang
Department of Prosthodontics, College of Stomatology, Ninth People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200011, China
Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 16:388-90. 2007Prosthetic rehabilitation with stud structure to sectional complete denture for a patient with microstomia was done and the treatment result was evaluated.
- Dental rehabilitation using an implant-carrying plate system in a severely resorbed edentulous maxilla: a case reportHiroshi Kurita
Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi, Matsumoto, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 23:117-20. 2008..using an implant-carrying plate system (EPITEC) for a patient with severely resorbed edentulous maxilla and microstomia. In this case, the presence of microstomia prevented bone augmentation procedures through an intraoral approach...
- Oral implant rehabilitation in a patient with Moebius syndromeJaume Escoda-Francoli
Centro Medico Teknon, Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E295-8. 2009..as facial and tongue muscle weakness, uncontrolled salivation secondary to deficient lip sealing, micrognathia, microstomia, bifid uvula, gothic and fissured palate, fissured tongue, and glossoptosis...
- Management of difficult pediatric facial burns: reconstruction of burn-related lower eyelid ectropion and perioral contracturesBrent Egeland
Department of Surgery, Section of Plastic Surgery, University of Michigan Health Systems, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:960-9. 2008..we describe the basic principals of facial burn care in the pediatric burn population, with a specific focus on lower-eyelid burn ectropion and oral commissure burn scar contracture leading to microstomia. Several cases are demonstrated.
- Resorbable distraction of the mandible: technical evolution and clinical experienceFernando D Burstein
Emory University Plastic Surgery Division, Center for Craniofacial Disorders, Children s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:637-43. 2008....
- Computed tomographic reconstruction of a fetus with the dysgnathia complex (agnathia-otocephaly)Priya V Rajan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California Irvine Medical Center, 101 The City Drive, Building 56, Suite 800, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Prenat Diagn 27:130-2. 2007..absence of the lower jaw with union or close approximation of the lower ears on the front of the neck, microstomia, and hypoglossia...
- Epidermolysis Bullosa Oropharyngeal Severity (EBOS) score: a multicenter development and reliability assessmentGiulio Fortuna
Department of Dermatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Center for Clinical Sciences Research, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 68:83-92. 2013..All 4 EB types may show oropharyngeal lesions involving either hard or soft tissues. Currently, there are very few data on EB scoring that include the oropharyngeal cavity...
- Lower lip reconstruction after tumor resection; a single author's experience with various methodsMohammed A Rifaat
The Department of Surgery at the National Cancer Institute, Cairo University
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 18:323-33. 2006..The author presents through his own clinical experience with lower lip reconstruction at the NCI, an evaluation of the commonly practiced techniques...
- Pediatric facial burnsTheodore A Kung
Department of Plastic Surgery, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:951-9. 2008..Serious complications such as occlusion amblyopia and microstomia must be anticipated and urgently addressed to avert permanent consequences, whereas other reconstructive ..
- Reconstruction of large defect of lower lip and commissure using Karapandzic flap: case reportH Terziqi
Dept of Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, University Hospital of Pristine, Kosovo
Niger J Med 18:222-3. 2009..The scars followed natural folds of the face and despite a slight microstomia gave an acceptable esthetic appearance...
- Impression tray designs and techniques for complete dentures in cases of microstomia--a reviewChethan Hegde
A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Deralakatte, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
J Prosthodont Res 56:142-6. 2012....
- Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP) in South Africa: dental implications in 5 casesTina Roberts
Faculty of Dentistry, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 112:11-8. 2011..These dental observations illustrate the importance of accurate diagnosis and the awareness of potential complications that may be encountered in dental management. Our observations are presented and discussed in this article...
- Treatment of an edentulous patient with surgically induced microstomia: a clinical reportLaith Abd Al-Hadi
Department of Prosthodontics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Sana a, Sana a, Yemen
J Prosthet Dent 87:423-6. 2002This clinical report describes the fabrication of a sectioned mandibular complete denture for a patient with severe microstomia. Dovetails were created in the denture base to orient and secure the prosthesis.
- Proximal segment displacement in mandibular distraction osteogenesisBonnie L Padwa
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Craniofac Surg 13:293-6; discussion 297. 2002..Further studies to document proximal segment movement using computed tomography scans may provide more quantitative data...
- OTX2 mutations contribute to the otocephaly-dysgnathia complexNicolas Chassaing
Department of Medical Genetics, Purpan Hospital, CHU Toulouse, Toulouse, France
J Med Genet 49:373-9. 2012Otocephaly or dysgnathia complex is characterised by mandibular hypoplasia/agenesis, ear anomalies, microstomia, and microglossia; the molecular basis of this developmental defect is largely unknown in humans.
- Foldable denture: for microstomia patientSandeep Kumar
Department of Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge, D A V C Dental College and Hospital, Yamunanagar, Haryana 121006, India
Case Rep Dent 2012:757025. 2012b>Microstomia may result from surgical treatment of orofacial neoplasms, cleft lips, maxillofacial trauma, burns, radiotherapy, or scleroderma...
- Implant-supported, long-span fixed partial denture for a scleroderma patient: a clinical reportSteven E Haas
Department of Dentistry, University Hospital and Medical Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11794, USA
J Prosthet Dent 87:136-9. 2002..This clinical report describes the use of modified techniques to fabricate a long-span fixed prosthesis delivered after serial extractions and implant placement...
- Application of a custom-made inlay structure to a sectional maxillary complete denture for a patient with microstomia: a clinical reportJian Sun
Department of Prosthodontics, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China
Quintessence Int 43:789-91. 2012Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients with microstomia is a challenge because of the constricted opening of the oral cavity...
- Freeman-Sheldon syndrome: combined surgical and non-surgical approachRoozbeh Sadrimanesh
Private Practice, Oral and Maxillofacial Prosthodontist and Implantologist, Tehran, Iran
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 41:397-402. 2013Many Freeman-Sheldon syndrome patients suffer from extensive microstomia resulting in possible inhibition of dental and skeletal development as well as difficulties in eating, speech and dental hygiene...
- Prosthetic rehabilitation of edentulous patient with limited oral access: A clinical reportSandeep Kumar
Department of Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge, D A V C Dental College and Hospital, Yamunanagar, Haryana, India
Contemp Clin Dent 3:349-51. 2012b>Microstomia may result from surgical treatment of orofacial neoplasms, cleft lips, maxillofacial trauma, burns, radiotherapy or scleroderma...
- Agnathia-synotia-microstomia (otocephaly): a case report in an African womanH A Mujuru
Department of Paediatrics, University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences, P O Box A178, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Cent Afr J Med 56:66-9. 2010..It may also result in dysmorphogenesis of other midline craniofacial field structures, such as the forebrain and axial body structures...
- Use of Pindex system in fabrication of the sectional custom trayEhsan Jabbari
Postgraduate Student, Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
J Prosthodont 23:417-9. 2014..describes a new, precise, and simple method for making an impression with an individual tray for a patient with microstomia. In this method, a Pindex system on the handle of the tray was used for attaching two parts of the sectional ..
- Computed tomography angiography imaging for the chimeric anterolateral thigh flap in reconstruction of full thickness buccal defectWen Kuan Chiu
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
ANZ J Surg 81:142-7. 2011..Herein, we introduce computed tomographic angiography (CTA)-guided mathematical perforators mapping for chimeric ALT flap design and harvest...
- Long-term results of distraction osteogenesis of the maxilla and midfaceJ Wiltfang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen Nuremberg, Gluckstrasse 11, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:473-9. 2002..Long-term follow-up is necessary...
- Richieri-Costa-Pereira syndrome: a unique acrofacial dysostosis type. An overview of the Brazilian casesFrancine Pinheiro Favaro
Department of Clinical Genetics, Hospital of Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, University of Sao Paulo HRAC USP, Bauru, SP, Brazil
Am J Med Genet A 155:322-31. 2011..All patients display a unique pattern of anomalies consisting of microstomia, micrognathia, abnormal fusion of mandible, cleft palate/Robin sequence, absence of central lower incisors, ..
- Rehabilitation of speech and swallowing after burns reconstructive surgery of the lips and noseNicola A Clayton
Speech Pathology Department and Burns Unit, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Concord, New South Wales, Australia
J Burn Care Res 30:1039-45. 2009..The severity of injury sustained placed the patient at high risk for microstomia, dysphagia, and speech disorder...
- Management of microstomia in adult burn patients revisitedClaire J Zweifel
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 63:e351-7. 2010This study aims to review our experience in the surgical management of microstomia following facial burns.
- Tight skin and limited joint movements as early presentation of Hutchinson-Gilford progeria in a 7-week-old infantLieve Sevenants
Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 164:283-6. 2005..facial features became more and more apparent: frontal bossing, prominent eyes, thin and fine nose and lips, microstomia, low-set ears and occipito-parietal alopecia...
- The pathogenesis of systemic sclerosis revisitedMatthias Geyer
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Kerckhoff Klinik, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 40:92-103. 2011..observe in patients suffering from Raynaud's phenomenon, digital ulcers, sclerodactyly, rigidity of the face, microstomia, sicca syndrome, dyspnea, dry cough, pulmonary hypertension, palpitations, syncopes, renal insufficiency, ..
- Total lip reconstruction with tendinofasciocutaneous radial forearm flapEldad Silberstein
Department of Plastic Surgery, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 151, Beersheba 84101, Israel
ScientificWorldJournal 2014:219728. 2014..However, large tumours resection often results with microstomia and oral incompetence, drooling, and speech incomprehension...
- Oro-dental manifestations in Hallopeau-Siemens-type recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosaM De Benedittis
Department of Odontostomatology and Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Clin Exp Dermatol 29:128-32. 2004..RDEB-HS patients present with a distinct pattern of oral involvement consisting of microstomia, ankyloglossia, vestibule obliteration and dental caries...
- [Microstomia as a complication of scleroderma]K H Phoa
Afdeling Mondziekten, Kaakchirurgie en Bijzondere Tandheelkunde, Erasmus Medisch Centrum, Rotterdam
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 110:457-9. 2003..A case report is presented of the treatment of a 15-year-old female scleroderma patient with microstoma...
- Oral care and dental management for patients with epidermolysis bullosaSusanne M Krämer
Department of Oral Medicine and Special Needs Dentistry, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
Dermatol Clin 28:303-9, x. 2010..treatment can be difficult to provide in patients with severe tissue fragility caused by mucosal sloughing, microstomia, ankyloglossia, and scarring...
- De novo interstitial duplication of the 15q11.2-q14 PWS/AS region of maternal origin: Clinical description, array CGH analysis, and review of the literatureSophia Kitsiou-Tzeli
Department of Medical Genetics, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Am J Med Genet A 152:1925-32. 2010..The patient is characterized by severe hypotonia, obesity, microstomia, long eyelashes, hirsutism, microretrognathia, short nose, severe psychomotor retardation, and multiple ..
- A thirty-year review of oral appliances used to manage microstomia, 1972 to 2002M E Dougherty
Shriners Hospitals for Children Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 24:418-31; discussion 410. 2003Patients who have sustained a facial burn often contend with cosmetic and functional challenges, including microstomia. Many devices have been created by a variety of professionals to provide oral stretching...
- Novel features in auriculo-condylar syndromeRuth McGowan
Ferguson Smith Centre for Clinical Genetics, Yorkhill Hospital, Glasgow, UK
Clin Dysmorphol 20:1-10. 2011..Other clinical features are; facial asymmetry, round faces with prominent cheeks, microstomia, micrognathia, dental malocclusion and hearing loss...
- A phenotypic assessment tool for craniofacial microsomiaCraig B Birgfeld
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, Wash 98105, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 127:313-20. 2011..Standardized description of the craniofacial malformations associated with craniofacial microsomia is a necessary first step for multicenter, interdisciplinary research into this complex condition...
- Simultaneous maxillary and mandibular distraction osteogenesis with a semiburied deviceB L Padwa
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Children s Hospital and Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston 02115, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 28:2-8. 1999..The indications for bimaxillary distraction are reviewed, including its advantages, disadvantages and limitations...
- Aphonia, microstomia, deafness, retinal dystrophy, duplicated halluces and intellectual disabilityAriana Kariminejad
Kariminejad Najmabadi Pathology and Genetics Center, Tehran, Iran
Am J Med Genet A 158:2756-62. 2012..Because of parental consanguinity, absence of manifestations in parents, and occurrence in sibs of opposite sex, an autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance is likely...
- A simplified technique for solving the transfer problem of implant-supported fixed partial dentures for patients with microstomiaBulent Uludag
Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Implantol 39:169-71. 2013Techniques for treating a fully or partially edentulous patient with microstomia have been developed to overcome the challenge of accessing the oral cavity...
- Hereditary epidermolysis bullosa. Dental management of three casesC Serrano Martínez
Departamento de Estomatología de la Universidad de Valencia, Espana
Med Oral 6:48-56. 2001..subepidermal blisters--the recessive form being the variant involving the greatest oral lesions (microstomia, ankyloglossia, milium cysts and rampant caries)...
- A case of mosaic supernumerary ring chromosome 15 with two copies of the segment 15p11.1-q14Ying S Zou
Cytogenetics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Med Genet A 140:1663-8. 2006..1-q14 region. She exhibits hypotonia, developmental delay, speech delay, microstomia, micrognathia, and other mild dysmorphic features...
- Freeman Sheldon syndrome with marked kyphoscoliosis at birth: a case reportB S Naher
Department of Paediatrics, Sir Salimullah Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Mymensingh Med J 22:206-9. 2013..There are three basic abnormalities like microstomia with pouting lips, camptodactyly with ulnar deviation of the fingers and talipes equinovarus...
- Moebius syndrome with oral involvementM V X De Serpa Pinto
School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Int J Paediatr Dent 12:446-9. 2002The oral findings of 12 patients with Moebius syndrome are described. Facial weakness, hypoplastic upper lip, microstomia, mouth-angle drooping, hypoplasia of mandible, gothic palate, tongue weakness, fissured tongue, tongue atrophy and ..
- Oral manifestations and challenges in dental treatment of epidermolysis bullosa dystrophicaThais Regina Kummer
School of Dentistry, Centro Universitário de União da Vitória, União da Vitória, Parana, Brazil
J Dent Child (Chic) 80:97-100. 2013..Besides the skin manifestations, the extra- and intra-oral exams revealed lesions on the lips and mucosa, microstomia, ankyloglossia, depapillated tongue, and carious teeth...
- Freeman-Sheldon syndrome: a dental perspectiveDexton A Johns
Department of Endodontics, Government Dental College, Calicut, Kerala, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 31:184-7. 2013..It is characterized by three basic abnormalities: microstomia with pouting lips, camptodactyly with ulnar deviation of the fingers, and talipes equinovarus...
- Schwartz-Jampel syndrome: a review of the literature and case reportSreekanth K Mallineni
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Spec Care Dentist 32:105-11. 2012..and muscular abnormalities may result in oro-dental manifestations such as atypical facies, with micrognathia, microstomia, pursed lips, crossbite, cleft palate, as well as mandibular hypoplasia, the risk of dentigerous cysts, and ..
- Bilateral mandibular condylysis from systemic sclerosis: case report of surgical correction with bilateral total temporomandibular joint replacementJean Charles Doucet
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 4:11-8. 2011..disease are numerous including masklike appearance, trismus, muscular atrophy, thin atrophied lips, secondary microstomia, xerostomia, rigidity of tongue and lips, widening of the periodontal ligament space, trigeminal neuralgia, and ..
- Provision of resin bonded bridgework for a patient with microstomia secondary to sclerodermaG McKenna
UCC Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 20:56-60. 2012..number of years previously by her medical practitioner and the patient reported that her scleroderma-associated microstomia had progressed significantly in recent years...
- Rehabilitation of an extraoral and intraoral defect complicated with microstomia. A study caseL M Abdulhadi
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 20:81-5. 2012..This resulted in practically good retention, placement, and adaptation of the two parts of the prosthesis...
- Fabrication of a unilateral oral commissure retractorStephen G Alfano
Naval Medical Center, San Diego, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, Calif, USA
J Prosthet Dent 108:398-400. 2012The fabrication of a unilateral device to treat microstomia after trauma is presented. Maximum opening was recorded before treatment...
- 14 year follow-up for a severe electrical burn to mouth and lip: case reportRoberto Valencia
Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico
J Clin Pediatr Dent 35:137-44. 2010..Great confusion exists in the literature about the proper management of electrical burns to the mouth in the acute and late phases...
- Reconstruction of the labiomental region with local flapsSelma Sönmez Ergün
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, SSK Vakif Gureba Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 28:863-5. 2002..Many operative techniques have been described for the reconstruction of this region...
- Clinical management of microstomia due to the static treatment of facial paralysis and oral rehabilitation with dental implantsFirat Selvi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 22:967-9. 2011..b>Microstomia after a sling procedure is not a previously observed complication in the literature...
- Adjunctive commissure splint therapy: a revised approachJean Francois Bedard
The University of Chicago Medical Center, Walter G Zoller Memorial Dental Clinic, Chicago, Ill, USA
J Prosthet Dent 89:408-11. 2003..effective in association with surgery in reducing the effects of scar contraction that ultimately results in microstomia and reduced quality of life...