Genomes and Genes
Summary: Congenital defect in the upper lip where the maxillary prominence fails to merge with the merged medial nasal prominences. It is thought to be caused by faulty migration of the mesoderm in the head region.
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Epidemiological studies on the frequency of clefts in Europe and world-wideKarsten K H Gundlach
Rostock Interdisciplinary Center for Clefts of Lip, Alveolus and Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies, Rostock, University, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 34:1-2. 2006..Most textbooks present data on the various frequencies of clefts in different human "races". This was studied in more detail...
- Unraveling human cleft lip and palate researchA R Vieira
Departments of Oral Biology and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Dent Res 87:119-25. 2008The focus of this work is to highlight the most recent advances in the understanding of cleft lip and palate occurrence...
- The prevalence of caries in children with a cleft lip and/or palate in Southern VietnamSjobbe Besseling
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 41:629-32. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of caries in South Vietnamese children with a known oral cleft...
- PHF8, a gene associated with cleft lip/palate and mental retardation, encodes for an Nepsilon-dimethyl lysine demethylaseChristoph Loenarz
Oxford Centre for Integrative Systems Biology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Hum Mol Genet 19:217-22. 2010Mutations of human PHF8 cluster within its JmjC encoding exons and are linked to mental retardation (MR) and a cleft lip/palate phenotype...
- Genome-wide association study identifies two susceptibility loci for nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palateElisabeth Mangold
Institute of Human Genetics, Life and Brain Center, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Nat Genet 42:24-6. 2010We conducted a genome-wide association study for nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate (NSCL/P) in 401 affected individuals and 1,323 controls, with replication in an independent sample of 793 NSCL/P triads...
- Expression analyses of human cleft palate tissue suggest a role for osteopontin and immune related factors in palatal developmentLinda P Jakobsen
Wilhelm Johannsen Centre for Functional Genome Research, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Panum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Exp Mol Med 41:77-85. 2009b>Cleft lip and/or palate (CL/P) is a common congenital malformation with a complex etiology which is not fully elucidated yet...
- A genome-wide association study of cleft lip with and without cleft palate identifies risk variants near MAFB and ABCA4Terri H Beaty
Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 42:525-9. 2010Case-parent trios were used in a genome-wide association study of cleft lip with and without cleft palate...
- Risk factors for oral clefts: a population-based case-control study in Shenyang, ChinaWei Wang
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 23:310-20. 2009..76 per 1000. The ratio of cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL +/- P) : cleft palate only (CP) was 5.60:1...
- Secondary alveolar bone grafting: the dilemma of donor site selection and morbidityMa amon A Rawashdeh
Department Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jordan
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:665-70. 2008..Much more research and development are necessary to find a suitable carrier for rhBMP-2, and to study the properties of newly formed bone that it has induced before it can be a substitute for autogenous bone...
- Epidemiology of cleft lip and cleft palate in PakistanMohammed Mehboob Elahi
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Temple University, 1600 Arch Street, Suite 508, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1548-55. 2004..serve as a means of establishing data important for the diagnosis, treatment, and counseling of patients with cleft lip and cleft palate...
- Mutations in BMP4 are associated with subepithelial, microform, and overt cleft lipSatoshi Suzuki
Division of Research and Treatment for Oral and Maxillofacial Congenital Anomalies, School of Dentistry, Aichi Gakuin University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, Japan
Am J Hum Genet 84:406-11. 2009b>Cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P) is a complex trait with evidence that the clinical spectrum includes both microform and subepithelial lip defects...
- Ozone and other air pollutants and the risk of oral cleftsBing Fang Hwang
Department of Occupational Safety and Health, College of Public Health, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Environ Health Perspect 116:1411-5. 2008..Air pollution influences the development of oral clefts in animals. There are few epidemiologic data on the relation of prenatal air pollution exposure and the risk of oral clefts...
- FOXE1 association with both isolated cleft lip with or without cleft palate, and isolated cleft palateLina M Moreno
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:4879-96. 2009..A previous genome-wide linkage scan discovered a novel locus for cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P) at 9q22-q33...
- Folate-related gene polymorphisms as risk factors for cleft lip and cleft palateJames L Mills
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:636-43. 2008b>Cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CLP) and cleft palate only (CPO) have an inherited component and, many studies suggest, a relationship with folate...
- Cleft lip and palate as a cost-effective health care treatment in the developing worldWilliam P Magee
Operation Smile, 6435 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk, Virginia 23509, USA
World J Surg 34:420-7. 2010..The authors suggest that surgery has an important role in global public health, specifically through international volunteer surgical missions as a vehicle for delivery...
- Cleft lip and palate: the Jos experienceK S Orkar
Department of Surgery, Jos University Teaching Hospital, P.M.B. 2076, Jos, Nigeria
East Afr Med J 79:510-3. 2002OBJECTIVE: To determine the pattern of occurrence of cleft lip/palate and the factors that may have influenced treatment outcome. DESIGN: Descriptive Study. SETTING: Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Nigeria...
- Regional anesthesia for cleft lip repair: a preliminary studyNaveen Eipe
Department of Anesthesia, Padhar Hospital, Padhar, Betul District, Madhya Pradesh 460005, India
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:138-41. 2006To assess whether local anesthetic blockade of the infraorbital nerve may allow for cleft lip repair to be performed under regional anesthesia.
- Oral and nasal malodor in patients with and without cleft lip and palate who had undergone orthodontic therapyCenk Doruk
Department of Orthodontics, University of Cumhuriyet, Sivas, Turkey
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:481-4. 2008To compare oral and nasal malodor in patients with and without cleft lip and palate (CLP) who had undergone orthodontic therapy.
- Incidence and outcome of middle ear disease in cleft lip and/or cleft palatePatrick Sheahan
Department of Otolaryngology, The Children s Hospital, Temple Street, 1, Dublin, Ireland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:785-93. 2003..The purpose of the present study was to examine the incidence, natural history, treatment, and outcome of middle ear disease in children with clefts...
- Oral health of individuals with cleft lip, cleft palate, or bothElizabeth Maria Bastos Lages
Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 41:59-63. 2004To evaluate the oral health of children with cleft lip and palate.
- Comparison of dental caries prevalence in patients with cleft lip and/or palate and their sibling controlsMahmoud Al-Dajani
College of Dentistry, International University for Science and Technology, Dara, Syria
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 46:529-31. 2009Objective: To evaluate the prevalence of dental caries in patients with cleft lip and/or palate and their cleft-free sibling controls.Methods: The two subject groups (patient and control) comprised 106 participants...
- Facial cleft and associated anomalies: incidence among infants at a Jordanian medical centreH E Aqrabawi
Neonatal Unit, King Hussein Medical Centre, Amman, Jordan
East Mediterr Health J 14:356-9. 2008To estimate incidence of cleft lip and cleft palate among Jordanian infants and to identify associated anomalies, we carried out a prospective, hospital-based study over a 5-year period, January 2000-January 2005...
- Cleft lip and palatePeter A Mossey
Department of Dental and Oral Health, University of Dundee, Dental Hospital and School, Dundee, UK
Lancet 374:1773-85. 2009Clefts of the lip and palate are generally divided into two groups, isolated cleft palate and cleft lip with or without cleft palate, representing a heterogeneous group of disorders affecting the lips and oral cavity...
- Time trends in oral clefts in Chinese newborns: data from the Chinese National Birth Defects Monitoring NetworkLi Dai
National Center for Birth Defect Monitoring, West China Second University Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, 610041, China
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88:41-7. 2010..Although the prevalence of oral clefts in China is among the highest in countries worldwide, little is known about its descriptive epidemiology...
- Pattern of cleft lip and palate in hospital-based population in Saudi Arabia: retrospective studyAziza Aljohar
Dentistry Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:592-6. 2008To report the patterns of cleft lip and/or cleft palate in Saudi Arabia from data collected at a tertiary care hospital.
- Oral disease status of a sample of Jordanian people ages 10 to 28 with cleft lip and palateAhed Al-Wahadni
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:304-8. 2005To determine the levels of periodontal disease and dental caries in subjects with cleft lip and palate and to compare them with matched noncleft control subjects.
- Maternal antioxidant supplementation does not reduce the incidence of phenytoin-induced cleft lip and related malformations in ratsDominique Abela
Department of Anatomy and Histology, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 74:201-6. 2005..that the antioxidant diet had a significant protective effect, with far fewer antioxidant-group fetuses showing cleft lip or maxillary hypoplasia compared with the control group...
- A longitudinal study on influence of primary facial deformities on maxillofacial growth in patients with cleft lip and palateNorifumi Nakamura
Division of Maxillofacial Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, Graduate School of Dental Science, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka, Japan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:633-40. 2005..use three-dimensional (3D) analysis to characterize the primary facial deformities in children with unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) and then serially analyze the relationships between facial deformities and maxillofacial ..
- Cleft lip and/or palate: 10 years experience at a pediatric cleft center in Southern ThailandSomchit Jaruratanasirikul
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, 90110, Thailand
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:597-602. 2008To study the clinical characteristics, demographic data, and associated congenital anomalies of pediatric patients with cleft lip and/or palate in Southern Thailand.
- Cleft lip and palate in southwestern Iran: an epidemiologic study of live birthsMohammad Hossain Rajabian
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Department of Plastic Surgery, Shiraz, Iran
Ann Saudi Med 25:385-8. 2005BACKGROUND: Cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P), is the most common congenital anomaly in the head and neck worldwide. We studied the prevalence of cleft lip (CL) and palate (CP) in Shiraz, which is located in southwestern Iran...
- Evaluation of oral and nasal halitosis parameters in patients with repaired cleft lip and/or palateFlávio Monteiro-Amado
Hospital for Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, Universidade of São Paulo, and Master of Science in Stomatology by Bauru Dental School, Universidade of São Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:682-7. 2005The objective of this study was to investigate the relationship between halitosis parameters in patients with and without cleft lip and/or palate.
- Evaluation of oral and nasal odor in patients with and without cleft lip and palate: preliminary reportFlávio Monteiro-Amado
Hospital for Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 41:661-3. 2004..To evaluate oral and nasal halitosis parameters in patients with and without clefts...
- Factors influencing early childhood caries of cleft lip and/or palate children aged 18 to 36 months in southern ThailandTeerapong Mutarai
Orthodontic Division, Department of Preventive Dentistry, Prince of Songkhla University, Thailand
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:468-72. 2008..To clarify whether oral health care behavior or oral cleft status influences early childhood caries in southern Thailand cleft children...
- Does repairing a cleft lip neonatally have any effect on the longer-term attractiveness of the repair?Tim E E Goodacre
Department of Plastic Surgery, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, United Kingdom
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 41:603-8. 2004To determine whether attractiveness and success of surgical outcome differ according to the timing of cleft lip repair.
- Cleft lip and palate: association with other congenital malformationsSoraya Beriaghi
Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Clinic, Division of Pediatric Dentistry School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 33:207-10. 2009..Orofacial clefts are frequently associated with other congenital malformations. Studies vary in incidence and types of anomalies...
- Craniofacial computerized tomography analysis of the midface of patients with repaired complete unilateral cleft lip and palateSunjay Suri
Discipline of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:418-29. 2008..the maxillary dentoalveolar and deeper structures in patients with surgically repaired complete unilateral cleft lip and palate (CLP) and to investigate whether significant asymmetry existed in the deeper midfacial structures, ..
- Preferential associations between oral clefts and other major congenital anomaliesMonica Rittler
ECLAMC Latin American Collaborative Study of Congenital Malformations at Hospital Materno Infantil Ramón Sardá, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:525-32. 2008To identify preferential associations between oral clefts (CL = cleft lip only, CLP = cleft lip with cleft palate, CP = cleft palate) and nonoral cleft anomalies, to interpret them on clinical grounds, and, based on the patterns of ..
- Wnt9b is the mutated gene involved in multifactorial nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in A/WySn mice, as confirmed by a genetic complementation testDiana M Juriloff
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 76:574-9. 2006Nonsyndromic cleft lip (CL) with or without cleft palate (CLP) is a common human birth defect with complex genetic etiology. One of the unidentified genes maps to chromosome 17q21...
- Epidemiology underpinning research in the aetiology of orofacial cleftsPeter Mossey
University of Dundee, Dental Hospital and School, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Orthod Craniofac Res 10:114-20. 2007..A range of techniques are currently being used to identify new candidate genes and ultimately it will be necessary to test genetic and environmental hypothesis in the context of human population studies...
- Dental health indices and caries associated microflora in children with unilateral cleft lip and palateV S Lucas
Department of Oral Medicine, Eastman Dental Institute, University of London, England
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 37:447-52. 2000To investigate the dental health and caries related microflora of children with unilateral cleft lip and palate.
- Evaluation of maxillary alveolar reconstruction using a resorbable collagen sponge with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in cleft lip and palate patientsNivaldo Alonso
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 16:1183-9. 2010..A resorbable collagen matrix with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein (rhBMP-2) was compared with traditional iliac crest bone graft for the closure of alveolar defects during secondary dental eruption...
- [Caries, gingivitis and dental abnormalities in patients with cleft lip and palate]M Budai
Fogorv Sz 94:197-9. 2001Oral health was studied in 31 children aged 10-12 years with cleft lip and palate and compared to 31 noncleft controls matched for sex and age...
- Caries prevalence in children with cleft lip and palate--a systematic review of case-control studiesPamela Hasslöf
Department of Odontology, Pediatic Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Paediatr Dent 17:313-9. 2007To conduct a systematic review of literature in order to examine the evidence of an increased prevalence of dental caries in children with cleft lip and palate (CLP).
- MMP gene polymorphisms as contributors for cleft lip/palate: association with MMP3 but not MMP1Ariadne Letra
Department of Biological Sciences, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arch Oral Biol 52:954-60. 2007..MMPs can be considered a group of candidate proteins for the etiology of cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P) due to their role in craniofacial modelling...
- Expression and association data strongly support JARID2 involvement in nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palateLuca Scapoli
Department of Histology, Embryology and Applied Biology, Centre of Molecular Genetics, University of Bologna, Via Belmeloro, 8, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Hum Mutat 31:794-800. 2010Nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P) affects approximately 1 in 1,000 births...
- Cleft lip and palate care in the United Kingdom--the Clinical Standards Advisory Group (CSAG) Study. Part 3: speech outcomesD Sell
Department of Speech and Language Therapy at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, England
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 38:30-7. 2001To summarize speech outcomes in children born with unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) throughout the United Kingdom.
- Secondary alveolar bone grafting in cleft lip and palate patientsL C Newlands
Northern Ireland Regional Plastic and Maxillofacial Unit, The Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:488-91. 2000..Bone levels were assessed on a four-point scale. Of 64 canines fully erupted in 94 clefts, 91% achieved bone levels of Type I or II and only two grafts failed. The outcome was more favourable when the canine was unerupted preoperatively...
- Susceptibility locus for non-syndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate on chromosome 10q25 confers risk in Estonian patientsTiit Nikopensius
Department of Biotechnology, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Eur J Oral Sci 118:317-9. 2010Non-syndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate (NSCL/P) is one of the most common birth defects and has a multifactorial etiology that includes both genetic and environmental factors...
- Cleft deformities in Zimbabwe, Africa: socioeconomic factors, epidemiology, and surgical reconstructionAnnette M Pham
Cleft and Craniofacial Program, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, 2521 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 9:385-91. 2007..Although cleft lip and palate has a lower incidence in Africa (0...
- Dental caries prevalence in children with cleft lip/palate aged between 6 months and 6 years in the West of ScotlandK F M Britton
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 3JZ
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 11:236-41. 2010To compare the prevalence of dental caries in children with cleft lip/palate with national data at the same age.
- Dental and oral hygiene status in Jordanian children with cleft lip and palate: a comparison between unilateral and bilateral cleftsA M Hazza'a
Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Surgery, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Dent Hyg 9:30-6. 2011The purpose of this study was to assess and compare the dental health and oral hygiene status of subjects with unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate (BCLP).
- Genetic origins in a South American clefting populationA R Vieira
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242-1083, USA
Clin Genet 62:458-63. 2002..The implications of this finding include the possibility of using admixture mapping approaches to this population...
- Human genetic factors in nonsyndromic cleft lip and palate: an updateFrancesco Carinci
Department of D M C C C, Section of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Ferrara, Corso, Giovecca 203, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:1509-19. 2007Nonsyndromic cleft lip and/or palate (or orofacial cleft, OFC) is a malformation characterized by an incomplete separation between nasal and oral cavities without any associated anomalies...
- A long-term, controlled-outcome analysis of in utero versus neonatal cleft lip repair using an ovine modelE J Stelnicki
Institute of Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery at New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 104:607-15. 1999Successful open repair of a cleft lip in utero has the advantage of scarless wound healing in the fetus. Unfortunately, no long-term outcome studies have been performed to evaluate the efficacy of these repairs...
- The incidence of cleft lip, cleft palate, hydrocephalus and spina bifida at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Blantyre, MalawiB C Msamati
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre
Cent Afr J Med 46:292-6. 2000To determine the incidence of cleft lip, cleft palate, spina bifida and hydrocephalus; and to compare these with those of Asian and European subjects.
- Epidemiological and genetic study of 121 cases of oral clefts in KuwaitS A al-Bustan
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Kuwait University, PO Box 5969, Safat 13060, Kuwait
Orthod Craniofac Res 5:154-60. 2002..study was to ascertain some epidemiological factors such as sex and consanguinity that may be associated with cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL +/- CP) in Kuwait as well as to conduct genetic segregation analysis of these ..
- Botulinum toxin to improve results in cleft lip repairTravis T Tollefson
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento 95817, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 8:221-2. 2006
- Tissue engineering solutions for cleft palatesJennifer L Moreau
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2503-11. 2007..Clefts of the lip and palate are the most prevalent congenital craniofacial birth defect in humans. The developing field of tissue engineering is considered for the management of clefts of the lip and palate...
- Asymmetry of the craniofacial skeleton in the parents of children with a cleft lip, with or without a cleft palate, or an isolated cleft palateG T McIntyre
Orthodontic Department, University of Dundee Dental Hospital and School, UK
Eur J Orthod 32:177-85. 2010The objective of this study was to evaluate asymmetry of the parental craniofacial skeleton of subjects with a cleft lip, with or without cleft palate [CL(P)], and isolated cleft palate (CP)...
- Prevalence of nonsyndromic oral clefts in a reference hospital in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil, between 2000-2005Hercilio Martelli Junior
School of Dentistry, State University of Montes Claros, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 21:314-7. 2007..3. Males were 2.57 times more affected by cleft lip and palate (CLP) than females. CLP with a prevalence of 39...
- Outcome of secondary alveolar bone grafting before and after eruption of the canine in Jordanian patients with cleft lip and palateMa amon A Rawashdeh
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jordan University of Science and Technology and King Abdullah University Hospital, Cleft Lip and Palate Centre, Irbid, Jordan
J Craniofac Surg 18:1331-7. 2007This prospective study was carried out at the Cleft Lip and Palate Centre at King Abdullah University Hospital and Maxillofacial Unit at Jordan University of Science and Technology during the period of 2000 to 2006...
- Congenital missing permanent teeth in Korean unilateral cleft lip and alveolus and unilateral cleft lip and palate patientsSeung Hak Baek
School of Dentistry, Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Department of Orthodontics, Seoul, South Korea
Angle Orthod 77:88-93. 2007..maxillary lateral incisor [MLI] and maxillary second premolar [MSP]) and sidedness (cleft vs noncleft) between boys and girls in Korean unilateral cleft lip and alveolus (UCLA) and unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) patients.
- Dentocraniofacial morphology of 21 patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate: a cephalometric studyMiranda Corbo
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Fabiola University Children's Hospital, , Brussels, Belgium
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:618-24. 2005OBJECTIVE: To assess the skeletal and dental craniofacial proportions of unilateral cleft lip and palate patients who were operated upon using the Malek technique, and compare them with a normal group to highlight the effect of surgical ..
- Long-term evaluation of bilateral cleft lip and palate patients after early secondary closure and premaxilla repositioningC T M Geraedts
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:788-96. 2007..study was to assess the long-term outcome of early secondary closure and premaxilla osteotomy in 40 bilateral cleft lip and palate patients who underwent early secondary osteotomy of the premaxilla and bone grafting at the age of 8-..
- Three-dimensional facial morphology following surgical repair of unilateral cleft lip and palate in patients after nasoalveolar moldingG D Singh
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences, Portland State University, Portland, OR 97207 0751, USA
Orthod Craniofac Res 10:161-6. 2007To evaluate three-dimensional (3D) facial morphology in patients surgically corrected for unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) following pre-surgical nasoalveolar molding (NAM).
- Long-term maxillomandibular skeletal and dental changes in children with cleft lip and palate after maxillary distractionKiyoshi Harada
Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Yamanashi, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:292-9. 2006Long-term skeletal and dental changes were examined in 8 children with cleft lip and palate who underwent maxillary distraction to allow the maxilla to catch up to their mandibular growth at the treatment point...
- Craniofacial characteristics evidenced in Bartsocas-Papas syndrome from birth to five years. Case reportAnthony L Maganzini
Montefiore Medical Center, University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, USA
N Y State Dent J 72:34-7. 2006..However, oral, facial, cranial and dental anomalies are often overlooked. This case focuses on the latter anomalies and the effect they have on the facial growth of a 5-year-old patient...
- An uncommon cleft subtype of unilateral cleft lip and palateT Yamanishi
First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka University, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Dent Res 87:164-8. 2008..the vomer plays a crucial role in maxillary growth suggests that the bilateral cleft configuration of unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP), in which the vomer is detached from the non-cleft-side secondary hard palate, negatively ..
- Maxillary and sella turcica morphology in newborns with cleft lip and palateBo Werner Nielsen
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:610-7. 2005..fields by analyzing bone size parameters within the maxillary bone complex in newborns with unilateral cleft lip (UCL) and unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP)...
- Symmetry of the nose after presurgical nasoalveolar molding in infants with unilateral cleft lip and palate: a preliminary studyBetty Chien-Jung Pai
Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:658-63. 2005OBJECTIVE: To assess nostril symmetry and alveolar cleft width in infants with unilateral cleft lip and palate following presurgical nasoalveolar molding (NAM)...
- Presurgical orthopaedic treatment of newborns with clefts--functional treatment with long-term effectsRosemarie Grabowski
Department of Orthodontics, University of Rostock, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 34:34-44. 2006..Presurgical orthopaedic treatment aims at reduction of cleft size by guiding growth and functional rehabilitation. Long-term results of maxillary development and occlusion at young adult age are reported...
- Assessment of arch constriction in patients with bilateral cleft lip and palate and isolated cleft palate: a pilot studyCatherine Tothill
Orthodontic Department, Dundee Hospital and School, Scotland, UK
Eur J Orthod 29:193-7. 2007..of this study was to test the use of the modified Huddart/Bodenham scoring system on patients with a bilateral cleft lip and palate (BCLP) or an isolated cleft palate (CP)...
- Sagittal growth of the facial skeleton of 6-year-old children with a complete unilateral cleft of lip, alveolus and palate treated with two different protocolsWolfgang Zemann
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Graz, Austria
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 35:343-9. 2007..The purpose of the study was to compare sagittal growth of the facial skeleton of 6-year-old children treated in two cleft centres with different surgical protocols...
- Unilateral complete cleft lip and palate repair using lip adhesion combined with a passive intraoral alveolar molding appliance: surgical results and the effect on the maxillary alveolar archByung Chae Cho
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, Korea
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1510-29. 2006A number of combined maxillary orthopedic and surgical treatment protocols have been proposed for the initial phase of therapy for infants with a complete cleft lip and palate.
- Infant orthopedics has no effect on maxillary arch dimensions in the deciduous dentition of children with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate (Dutchcleft)Catharina A M Bongaarts
Department of Orthodontics and Oral Biology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, 309 Tandheelkunde, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:665-72. 2006..effect of infant orthopedics on maxillary arch dimensions in the deciduous dentition in patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate...
- Review of the UCL management of patients with cleft lip and palateS Castelein
Cleft lip and palate centre A de Coninck, University Hospital Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
B-ENT 2:51-6. 2006..Since 1987, we have opted for the neonatal repair of the cleft lip and nose, and closure of the cleft palate at three months of age...
- Correction of the alveolar gap and nostril deformity by presurgical passive orthodontia in the unilateral cleft lipMarcos Jaeger
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Ann Plast Surg 59:489-94. 2007..NAM constitutes an important adjunct to ameliorate the results of primary definitive lip repair while also improving the surgeon's ability to provide nasal symmetry...
- Assessment of cleft lip and palate patients treated with presurgical orthopedic correction and either primary bone grafts, gingivoperiosteoplasty, or without alveolar grafting proceduresThomas M Grisius
University of Detroit Mercy, Department of Orthodontics, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Craniofac Surg 17:468-73. 2006..The present work evaluates and compares facial form at age six years in complete unilateral cleft lip and palate patients treated with presurgical orthopedic correction and primary reconstruction with (1) primary ..
- Long-term follow-up after maxillary distraction osteogenesis in growing children with cleft lip and palateChiung Shing Huang
Craniofacial Center, Faculty of Dentistry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 44:274-7. 2007To evaluate the changes in maxillary position after maxillary distraction osteogenesis in six growing children with cleft lip and palate.
- Cephalometric evaluation of long-term craniofacial development in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients treated with delayed hard palate closureP J P M Nollet
Department of Orthodontics and Oral Biology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:123-30. 2008..cephalometric study aimed to evaluate the craniofacial development of patients with a complete unilateral cleft lip and palate treated with a two-stage palatal closure, including delayed closure of the hard palate...
- Vertical development of the cleft segments in infants with bilateral cleft lip and palate: effect of dentofacial orthopedic and surgical treatment on maxillary morphology from birth to the age of 11 monthsJuliane Dürwald
Department of Orthodontics, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 68:183-97. 2007..graphically demonstrate the clinically-visible vertical deviation of the premaxilla and lateral segments from a defined reference plane, and to describe the effect of presurgical dentofacial orthopedic treatment and cleft lip operation.
- Effects of lip repair on maxillary growth and facial soft tissue development in patients with a complete unilateral cleft of lip, alveolus and palateYang Li
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sichuan University, People's Republic of China
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 34:355-61. 2006..and photographs (anterior-posterior and profile) were taken for 3 groups of patients: (1) 35 complete unilateral cleft lip, alveolus and palate cases in whom only a labioplasty was performed as infants; (2) 47 cases who had both lip ..
- Changes in nasorespiratory function in association with maxillary distraction osteogenesis in subjects with cleft lip and palateKiyo Saito
Maxillofacial Orthognathics, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:75-83. 2006..SUBJECTS: Data from 13 subjects with cleft lip and palate were used...
- Maxillary protraction effects on anterior crossbites. Repaired unilateral cleft versus noncleft prepubertal boysHaichao Jia
Department of Orthodonticsm School of Stomatology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Angle Orthod 78:617-24. 2008To test the hypothesis that there is no difference between the effects of maxillary protraction on anterior crossbites in repaired unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) and noncleft prepubertal boys.
- [A functional approach in the primary treatment of labial-alveolar-velopalatine clefts for a minimum of sequels]J C Talmant
Clinique Jules Verne, 2 4, Route de Paris, 44300 Nantes, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 108:255-63. 2007..In this ambitious and demanding program, the patient comes first; we decrease the burden for him and his family, and give them the benefit of a good social life before school age...
- Presurgical nasoalveolar molding therapy for the treatment of unilateral cleft lip and palate: a preliminary studyChristopher F Ezzat
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 44:8-12. 2007..To evaluate the outcome of presurgical nasoalveolar molding (PNAM) therapy in the treatment of patients with nonsyndromic unilateral cleft and palate (UCLP)...
- Craniofacial development in children with unilateral cleft lip and palateServet Doğan
Ege University School of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:28-33. 2006Unilateral cleft lip and palate is the most common cleft in humans...
- Hypoplasia and hypodontia in Van der Woude syndromeSnehlata Oberoi
Center for Craniofacial Anomalies, School of Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco, 94143-0640, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:459-66. 2005..AND PARTICIPANTS: The sample consisted of 15 individuals with Van der Woude syndrome and 15 nonsyndromic cleft lip and/or palate controls paired for age, gender, and cleft type in the age range of 5 to 13 years...
- Long-term results in maxillary deficiency using intraoral devicesA Rachmiel
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:473-9. 2005b>Cleft lip and palate patients often present maxillary retrusion and class III malocclusion after cleft repair. Maxillary distraction is a technique that can provide simultaneous skeletal advancement and expansion of soft tissue...
- A cephalometric study of facial growth in van der Woude syndromeAlex A Kane
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:219-25. 2002..and lower lip form in patients with van der Woude syndrome (VDW) is different from patients with non-syndromic cleft lip and palate...
- Palate height: another indicator of surgical outcome in unilateral cleft lip and palate?Om P Kharbanda
Division of Orthodontics, Department of Dental Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi, India
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:308-11. 2002To determine whether palate height and maxillary arch depth are systematically related to the surgical center at which primary repair in unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) was carried out.
- Analysis of nasal and labial deformities in cleft lip, alveolus and palate patients by a new rating scale: preliminary reportY Anastassov
Plastic and Craniofacial Unit, Medical Institute of Plovdiv, Bulgaria
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 31:299-303. 2003In this study the nasal deformities in patients with cleft lip, alveolus and palate (CLAP) were analysed and the relevant role of the perinasal-perioral muscular balance, and the inborn dislocation of the alar cartilages is presented.
- Repair of bilateral cleft lip: review, revisions, and reflectionsJohn B Mulliken
Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Craniofac Surg 14:609-20. 2003Rarely does the appearance of a child with a repaired bilateral cleft lip compare favorably with that of a child with a repaired unilateral cleft lip...
- Association of nasomaxillary asymmetry in children with unilateral cleft lip and palate and their parentsYoung-Jooh Yoon
Eastman Department of Dentistry, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:493-7. 2003..this study was to evaluate the association of transverse craniofacial asymmetry between children with unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) and their parents...
- The effects of active infant orthopedics on occlusal relationships in unilateral complete cleft lip and palateKathleen T Chan
Department of Growth and Development, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:511-7. 2003..dental arch relationships and determine the effect on maxillary growth in children born with unilateral complete cleft lip and palate (UCCLP)...
- Long-term results of the two-stage palatoplasty/Hotz' plate approach for complete bilateral cleft lip, alveolus and palate patientsAlcibiades E Silvera Q
Division of Orthodontics, Department of Oral Biological Science, Course for Oral Life Science, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata University, Niigata City, Japan
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 31:215-27. 2003..To investigate the effects of the two-stage palatoplasty combined with the Hotz' plate on craniofacial development in patients with bilateral complete clefts...
- Patterns of maxillary alveolar arch growth changes of infants with unilateral cleft lip and palate: preliminary findingsBert Braumann
Department of Orthodontics, Clinic for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Center for Dentistry, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:363-72. 2003..Can reaction patterns be extracted from changes in maxillary dimensions of different cleft forms within the first year of life to support this hypothesis?..
- Occlusal relationship in patients with bilateral cleft lip and palate during the mixed dentition stage: does neonatal maxillary arch configuration predetermine outcome?Chad A Perlyn
Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Deformities Institute, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:317-21. 2002To determine whether there is any correlation between initial maxillary arch dysmorphology patterns in complete bilateral cleft lip/palate (BCLP) and the subsequent occlusal relationship in early mixed dentition.
- Effects of cheiloplasty on maxillary dental arch development in infants with unilateral complete cleft lip and palateChiung Shing Huang
Faculty of Dentistry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:513-6. 2002..To identify and analyze quantitatively the development of the maxillary dental arch before and after cheiloplasty...
- Analysis of midface asymmetry in patients with cleft lip, alveolus and palate at the age of 3 months using 3D-COSMOS measuring systemW Zemann
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Clinic of Dentistry, Medical School University of Graz, Austria
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 30:148-52. 2002Patients suffering from unilateral cleft lip, alveolus and palate exhibit a varying degree of asymmetry of the midface. Evaluation of this asymmetry can be carried out by means of 3D-CT, or a laser surface scanner.
- Changes in soft tissue thickness after Le Fort I osteotomy in different cleft typesA Heliövaara
Cleft Center, Department of Plastic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 16:207-13. 2001..5 years); 10 patients with bilateral cleft lip and palate (BCLP, mean age 21.7 years); and 26 patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP, mean age 22...
- Quality of Life in Children with CleftHillary L Broder; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will enroll children (ages 8-17) with cleft palate only (CPO) and cleft lip and palate and their caregivers who are evaluated at five renown craniofacial centers (two in the southeast and ..
- Quality of Life in Children with CleftHillary L Broder; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will enroll children (ages 8-17) with cleft palate only (CPO) and cleft lip and palate and their caregivers who are evaluated at five renown craniofacial centers (two in the southeast and ..
- Quality of Life in Children with CleftHillary Broder; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will enroll children (ages 8-17) with cleft palate only (CPO) and cleft lip and palate and their caregivers who are evaluated at five renown craniofacial centers (two in the southeast and ..
- INTERNATIONAL GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL CLEFTSTerri Beaty; Fiscal Year: 2009..we successfully conducted a multi-center, international study on the genetic etiology of oral clefts (including cleft lip, CL; cleft lip and palate, CLP; and cleft palate, CP) by recruiting cases from 5 sites (Maryland, Singapore, ..
- Effects of oral clefts on birth outcomes and cleft risks due to maternal smokingGEORGE WEHBY; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Cleft lip and/or palate (CL/P) is a common birth defect with a complex ideology and large health burden. The effects of CL/P on birth outcomes such as low birth weight and prematurity have been understudied...
- Health outcomes and improved phenotypic characterization of cleft lip and palateGEORGE WEHBY; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Cleft lip and/or palate (CLP) is a common birth defect occurring in about 1/500 to 1/2500 births...
- Health outcomes and improved phenotypic characterization of cleft lip and palateGEORGE WEHBY; Fiscal Year: 2009b>Cleft lip and/or palate (CLP) is a common birth defect occurring in about 1/500 to 1/2500 births...
- Effects of Dioxin on Vietnamese CiviliansDavid Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2004..These hospitals serve maternity patients from all of southern Vietnam. The investigators will study cases of a) cleft lip/cleft palate, b) neural tube defects, including spina bifida, anecephaly and microcephaly, and c) limb ..
- Speech Intelligibility Testing in Children with Repaired Cleft PalateDavid Zajac; Fiscal Year: 2007..underlie speech intelligibility in young children with repaired clefts of the secondary palate with or without cleft lip (Aim 1)...
- Eustachian Tube Form/Function in Cleft Lip and PalateAnil Gungor; Fiscal Year: 2004..If these predictions are valid, an early MRI study of CP infants be prognostic of the severity and longevity of ME disease and may serve to guide the type of palatal reconstruction for individual patients. ..
- VELOPHARYNGEAL FUNCTION FOR SPEECH AFTER PALATAL SURGERYWilliam Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004The incidence of cleft lip/palate is 1/750, making it one of the most common congenital malformations...
- Skin Regeneration: Cellular & Molecular MechanismsHERMANN PETER LORENZ; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Cleft lip and palate is a major health problem because of the functional defect produced. Furthermore, surgical reconstruction results in lip and palate scarring, which inhibits facial growth and oral function...
- Functional Outcomes of Cleft Lip SurgeryCARROLL TROTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION: (from the abstract) The prevalence of cleft lip and palate in the United States is approximately 1 in 1000 live births (range of 0.7 to 1.3)...
- Gene-enviornment interactions in facial cleftsKaare Christensen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Family and twin studies have clearly indicated a genetic role in the etiology of cleft lip and palate, but environmental components play a major role, as well...
- Skin Regeneration: Cellular & Molecular MechanismsHERMANN LORENZ; Fiscal Year: 2009b>Cleft lip and palate is a major health problem because of the functional defect produced. Furthermore, surgical reconstruction results in lip and palate scarring, which inhibits facial growth and oral function...
- Cleft Lip Genetics: A Multicenter International ConsortiAndrew Lidral; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Cleft lip with or without cleft palate (CL/P) is a common birth defect. Previous studies have indicated that CL/P is a complex trait that is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors...
- CLONING AND CHARACTERIZATION OF THE VAN DER WOUDE GENEBrian Schutte; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Cleft lip and palate is a common congenital anomaly with significant lifelong morbidity. The extensive psychological, surgical, speech and dental involvement emphasize the importance of understanding the underlying causes...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CLEFT LIP AND PALATEJeffrey Murray; Fiscal Year: 1993..funding cycle of this proposal the investigators applied these techniques to a common sentinel birth defect--cleft lip and palate...
- Growth Factor Signaling in Mouse PalatogensisYiPing Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010Non-syndromic cleft lip and cleft palate, one of the major groups of congenital birth defects in human beings...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CLEFT LIP AND PALATEJeffrey Murray; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, using an affected pedigree member approach, we have mapped a locus for non-syndromic cleft lip and palate to 6p23...
- Growth Factor Signaling in Mouse PalatogensisYiPing Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009Non-syndromic cleft lip and cleft palate, one of the major groups of congenital birth defects in human beings...