Summary: A condition sometimes occurring after tooth extraction, particularly after traumatic extraction, resulting in a dry appearance of the exposed bone in the socket, due to disintegration or loss of the blood clot. It is basically a focal osteomyelitis without suppuration and is accompanied by severe pain (alveolalgia) and foul odor. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications135 found, 100 shown here
- Tetracycline compound placement to prevent dry socket: a postoperative study of 200 impacted mandibular third molarsJ M Sanchis
Valencia University, Medical and Dental School, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:587-91. 2004..Our objective was to study whether the placement of intra-alveolar tetracycline prevents dry sockets or improves the postoperative period...
- Metronidazole for the prevention of dry socket after removal of partially impacted mandibular third molar: a randomised controlled trialM Bergdahl
Department of Odontology, Faculty of Medicine and Odontology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:555-8. 2004..Ten of the fifty-nine patients who were given metronidazole and 13 of the 60 given placebo developed dry sockets. Two variables were significantly associated with the development of a dry socket: pericoronitis and oral contraceptives.
- Impacted mandibular third molars: presentation and postoperative complications at the Lagos University Teaching HospitalO M Gbotolorun
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lagos University Teaching Hospital LUTH, Lagos, Nigeria
Nig Q J Hosp Med 17:26-9. 2007..This study aims to investigate the pattern of presentation of impacted Mandibular third molars, the indications for extraction and the post operative complications after this procedure at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital...
- Dry socket: a prospective study of prevalent risk factors in a Nigerian populationFadekemi Olufunmilayo Oginni
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2290-5. 2008To identify major risk factors for developing dry socket in some Nigerians, and to formulate a nonpharmacologic protocol for its effective prevention.
- Prevention of alveolar osteitis with chlorhexidine: a meta-analytic reviewAntonio Caso
University of Washington School of Dentistry, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Seattle, WA 98195 7134, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:155-9. 2005..The objective of this study was to assess if chlorhexidine (CHX) rinse decreases the occurrence of alveolar osteitis (AO) following third molar removal...
- Risk indicators of postoperative complications following surgical extraction of lower third molarsZiad Malkawi
Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Med Princ Pract 20:321-5. 2011....
- Effects of intra-alveolar placement of 0.2% chlorhexidine bioadhesive gel on dry socket incidence and postsurgical pain: a double-blind split-mouth randomized controlled clinical trialAfshin Haraji
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Islamic Azad University, Tehran Iran
J Orofac Pain 27:256-62. 2013To assess the effects of intra-alveolar application of chlorhexidine gel on the incidence of alveolar osteitis (dry socket) and the severity of postsurgical pain.
- Clinical concepts of dry socketCamila Lopes Cardoso
Department of Oral Surgery, University of São Paulo Bauru School of Dentistry, Bauru, SP, Brazil
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1922-32. 2010b>Dry socket is one of the most studied complications in dentistry, and a great number of studies have searched for an effective and safe method for its prevention and treatment...
- Chlorhexidine in the prevention of dry socket: effectiveness of different dosage forms and regimensMaría Paz Minguez-Serra
Stomatology Unit, Doctor Peset University Hospital, Valencia, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:e445-9. 2009b>Dry socket (DS) is a potential postoperative complication of dental extractions...
- Factors affecting incidence of dry socket: a prospective community-based studyKrishnan Parthasarathi
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 69:1880-4. 2011b>Dry socket, or alveolar osteitis, can occur because of the removal of teeth. No clear etiology has been acknowledged; however, numerous risk factors have been proposed and tested...
- Influence of trans-operative complications on socket healing following dental extractionsWasiu Lanre Adeyemo
Department of Oral, Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Cologne, Germany
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:52-9. 2007..Extraction healing complications have been attributed to several factors. The influence of trans-operative complications on an extraction site wound healing was the focus of this investigation...
- Contemporary views on dry socket (alveolar osteitis): a clinical appraisal of standardization, aetiopathogenesis and management: a critical reviewI R Blum
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:309-17. 2002..The aim of this critical review is to provide a better basis for clinical management of the condition. A meta-analysis of data was not done...
- Incidence and pattern of presentation of dry socket following non-surgical tooth extractionM O Ogunlewe
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Nig Q J Hosp Med 17:126-30. 2007To determine the incidence and pattern of presentation of dry socket as a complication of intra-alveolar dental extraction at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
- Differences in postoperative morbidity rates, including infection and dry socket, and differences in the healing process after mandibular third molar surgery in patients receiving 1-day or 3-day prophylaxis with lenampicillinTakashi Yoshii
Department of Dentistry, Hyogo Prefectural Staff Health Center, 5 10 1 Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 8567, Japan
J Infect Chemother 8:87-93. 2002..A comparative study was conducted on postoperative infection, dry socket, and the healing process in 178 healthy patients receiving 1-day or 3-day prophylaxis with lenampicillin (LAPC; ..
- Incidence of dry socket, alveolar infection, and postoperative pain following the extraction of erupted teethMarcelo Carlos Bortoluzzi
Department of Stomatology and Maxillofacial Surgery, Santa Terezinha University Hospital, Brazil
J Contemp Dent Pract 11:E033-40. 2010The aim of this study was to determine the incidence of dry socket, alveolar infection, and postoperative pain following the routine extraction of erupted teeth.
- A clinical evaluation of dry socket in a Nigerian teaching hospitalF O Oginni
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Obafemi Owolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun, State, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:871-6. 2003We sought to determine the incidence of dry socket in a Nigerian teaching hospital and to evaluate the patients' demographic pattern, predisposing factors, the treatment given, and treatment outcome.
- Update on dry socket: a review of the literatureDaniel Torres-Lagares
Departamento de Estamología, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 10:81-5; 77-81. 2005b>Dry socket is a postoperative complication that occurs after a dental extraction and has been defined as an inflammation of the alveolus. If this inflammation should surpass the alveolar walls, it would result in a located osteitis...
- The relationship of "shisha" (water pipe) smoking to postextraction dry socketFouad A Al-Belasy
Oral Surgery Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:10-4. 2004..was undertaken to determine whether "shisha" (water pipe) smokers (SS) were at a different risk of developing dry socket (DS) than were cigarette smokers (CS) or nonsmokers (NS) and to assess the effect of preoperative and ..
- Effect estimates and methodological quality of randomized controlled trials about prevention of alveolar osteitis following tooth extraction: a systematic reviewLennart Hedström
Public Dental Services, Varberg, Sweden
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:8-15. 2007..To systematically review the scientific evidence derived from randomized controlled trials (RCT) about prevention of alveolar osteitis (AO)...
- Medicinal plants in the healing of dry socket in rats: microbiological and microscopic analysisE J M de Melo Júnior
Department of Pathology, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Alagoas, Maceió AL, Brazil
Phytomedicine 9:109-16. 2002..beta-hemolytic was better than the one presented by the antibiotic currently used for the treatment of alveolitis. The extract of Schinus terebinthifolius Raddi has shown good wound-healing activity by histological analysis...
- Randomized, double-blind study of effectiveness of intra-alveolar application of chlorhexidine gel in reducing incidence of alveolar osteitis and bleeding complications in mandibular third molar surgery in patients with bleeding disordersDaniel Torres-Lagares
Oral Surgery Department, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1322-6. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the bioadhesive 0.2% CHX gel in reducing the incidence of impacted third molar postextraction AO in patients with bleeding disorders...
- Effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus chlorhexidine rinse in reducing alveolar osteitis in mandibular third molar surgeryPilar Hita-Iglesias
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0018, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:441-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus a chlorhexidine rinse in reducing postoperative alveolar osteitis after the extraction of mandibular third molars...
- An evaluation of complications following dental extractions using either sterile or clean glovesL K Cheung
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 30:550-4. 2001..There was no difference in the incidence of an acutely inflamed socket, acutely infected socket and dry socket and also no significant predisposing factors found between the sterile and clean glove groups...
- Prevalence, clinical picture, and risk factors of dry socket in a Jordanian dental teaching centerY M Nusair
Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:53-63. 2007The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence, clinical picture, and risk factors of dry socket at the Dental Teaching Center of Jordan University of Science and Technology (DTC/JUST).
- Surgical outcomes for suture-less surgery in 366 impacted third molar patientsPeter D Waite
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:669-73. 2006..The purpose of this study is to identify surgical outcomes in third molar surgery when no sutures are used for primary closure...
- The relationship of cigarette smoking to postoperative complications from dental extractions among female inmatesChristine K Heng
U S Public Health Service, Federal Correctional Institution, Danbury, CT 06811, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:757-62. 2007..this study is to assess the contribution of smoking to postoperative complications, including alveolar osteitis (dry socket), after dental extractions...
- Influence of Surgicel gauze on the incidence of dry socket after wisdom tooth extractionA M Suleiman
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
East Mediterr Health J 12:440-5. 2006At a hospital in Damman, Saudi Arabia, it was noticed that many patients had developed dry socket after surgical removal of wisdom teeth...
- [Complications during and after surgical removal of mandibular third molars. Impact of patient related and anatomical factors]Thomas C Voegelin
Klinik für Oralchirurgie und Stomatologie, Zahnmedizinische Kliniken der Universität Bern
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 118:192-8. 2008..Regarding the increase in intra- and postoperative complications for third molar removal in higher age groups, the prophylactic third molar surgery between the age of 18 and 25 seems justified...
- Influence of smoking upon the postoperative course of lower third molar surgeryCarmen López-Carriches
Universidad Europea, Madrid, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E56-60. 2006....
- Bilateral anesthesia into Spix's spine. Ten years' experienceC Arcuri
Department of Dentistry and Stomatology, Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Tor Vergata University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 53:93-9. 2004..The aim of this study is therefore to eliminate any doubt about executing a bilateral anaesthesia to Spix's spine for the extraction, in inclusion and impacted of the inferior wisdom teeth...
- Postoperative prophylactic antibiotic treatment in third molar surgery--a necessity?Paul W Poeschl
University Hospital for Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:3-8; discussion 9. 2004..We evaluated the need for prophylactic postoperative oral antibiotic treatment in the removal of asymptomatic third molars...
- Immediate and late mandibular fractures after third molar removalPhilippe Libersa
Odontology Unit, Centre Abel Caumartin, CHRU Lille, France
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:163-5; discussion 165-6. 2002..In this retrospective study, we analyzed immediate and late mandibular fractures after impacted lower third molar surgery...
- Does oral contraceptive use affect the incidence of complications after extraction of a mandibular third molar?A G Garcia
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Br Dent J 194:453-5; discussion 445. 2003This study investigated whether oral contraceptive use affects the incidence of complications (pain, trismus, dry socket) in women undergoing removal of impacted mandibular third molars.
- Complications in HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected haemophiliacs and other patients after oral surgeryC Scully
Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, University of London, London, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:634-40. 2002..Although the patient groups are not large, it would appear that haemophiliacs had more postoperative complications but that the presence of HIV infection had no notable influence on treatment outcome...
- Quantifying the healing of dry socket using a clinical volumetric methodYanal M Nusair
Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:e89-95. 2006..To quantify the healing of dry sockets using a simple clinical volumetric method that measures the reduction in the volume of dry sockets and to study the effects of sex and smoking on socket healing...
- Prevalence and surgical morbidity of impacted mandibular third molar removal in the aging population: a retrospective study at the Lagos University Teaching HospitalW L Adeyemo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Lagos and Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 35:479-83. 2006..Only 3 patients (9.7%) developed minor postoperative complications (infected socket, dry socket) which were reversible and of short duration)...
- Favorable effects of lacrimal plugs in patients with an anophthalmic socketY Vardizer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Orbit 26:263-6. 2007..Many of those patients complain of dry eye symptoms, even when they are treated with tear replacement therapy. The authors wished to examine whether they could improve their dry socket complaints with punctal plugs.
- Iatrogenic mandibular fracture associated with third molar removal. Can it be prevented?Yitzhak Woldenberg
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Soroka Univesity Medical Center and Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 12:E70-2. 2007..It may be associated with complications, such as sensory damage , dry socket, infection and iatrogenic damage...
- A randomized, double-blind, celecoxib- and placebo-controlled study of the effectiveness of CS-706 in acute postoperative dental painJames B Moberly
Daiichi Sankyo Pharma Development, Edison, New Jersey 08837, USA
Clin Ther 29:399-412. 2007..CS-706 is a cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)-selective inhibitor with an in vitro selectivity ratio (COX-1:COX-2) similar to that of celecoxib. It has exhibited analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antitumor properties in animal models...
- Short-term clinical outcomes of two different flap techniques in impacted mandibular third molar surgeryBanu Ozveri Koyuncu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Ege University, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 116:e179-84. 2013..The aim of this study was to estimate the influence of flap design on alveolar osteitis (AO) and postoperative side effects following third molar surgery...
- Effectiveness of antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trialsYan Fang Ren
Eastman Dental Center, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1909-21. 2007..We conducted a synthetic quantitative review of the published clinical trials on the effectiveness of antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery...
- Extraction of impacted mandibular third molars: postoperative complications and their risk factorsFrancois Blondeau
Affiliated medical centre of the Enfant Jésus Hospital, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 73:325. 2007..The relation between these 3 complications and several clinical variables (age, sex, degree of impaction, surgical difficulty and use of oral contraceptives) was also examined...
- A consensus conference on management of the lower third molar. Italian Society of Odontostomatological SurgeryS Annibali
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 60:509-27. 2011..The statements made and the recommendations presented represent the consensus of the Conference, which can be considered the official statement of the SIdCO...
- Prognostic factors affecting the duration of disability after third molar removalDaniel A Bienstock
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 69:1272-7. 2011..The purposes of this investigation were 1) to estimate the duration of disability after third molar removal and 2) to identify factors associated with prolonged recovery...
- To retrieve or not to retrieve the coronectomy root--the clinical dilemmaVinod Patel
Oral Surgery Department, Floor 23, Guy s Dental Hospital, London Bridge, London, SE1 9RT
Dent Update 40:370-2, 375-6. 2013..General dental practitioners will be responsible for the long-term review and care of these patients and, consequently, it is important that they are aware of the technique and its sequelae...
- Iron and vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia in a vegetarianPanos Plevrakis
Dent Update 29:515. 2002
- Influence of immediate post-extraction socket irrigation on development of alveolar osteitis after mandibular third molar removal: a prospective split-mouth study, preliminary reportL Tolstunov
Van Ness Oral Surgery and Implantology Center, 1 Daniel Burnham Court, Suite 366C, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
Br Dent J 213:597-601. 2012....
- A monitoring and evaluation study of third molar surgery complications at a major medical centerA K Herpy
Wright Patterson AFB, OH
Mil Med 156:10-2. 1991..It also confirmed that the experience of the surgeon, patient age, and gender influence complication rates...
- Mandibular third molar removal: risk indicators for extended operation time, postoperative pain, and complicationsIngibjörg S Benediktsdóttir
Faculty of Odontology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:438-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to identify risk indicators for extended operation time and postoperative complications after removal of mandibular third molars...
- Reduction in the incidence of alveolar osteitis in patients treated with the SaliCept patch, containing Acemannan hydrogelMiles R Poor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:374-9; discussion 379. 2002..The SaliCept Patch is a freeze-dried pledget that contains Acemannan Hydrogel (Carrington Laboratories) obtained from the clear inner gel of Aloe vera L...
- [Clinical study of alveolites and their treatment in multiple practice]B Diallo
Service de Chirurgie buccale Département d Odontostomatologie UCAD
Dakar Med 47:224-8. 2002....
- Review of hemostatic agents used in dentistryWilliam L McBee
Dent Today 24:62-5; quiz 65, 61. 2005
- Surgical techniques for the removal of mandibular wisdom teethPaul Coulthard
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Coupland III Building, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK, M13 9PL
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 7:CD004345. 2014..However, surgery is frequently associated with postoperative pain, swelling and trismus. Less commonly complications include infection, including dry socket, trigeminal nerve injuries and rarely fracture of the mandible.
- Interventions for the prevention of dry socket: an evidence-based updateM O Sharif
University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M15 6FH
Br Dent J 217:27-30. 2014..paper reviews the latest evidence for local and systemic interventions for the prevention of alveolar osteitis (dry socket). Dry socket is a painful and common post-operative complication following exodontia...
- Clinical and histological study of a xenogenic bone substitute used as a filler in postextractive alveolusC Arcuri
Operative Odontostomatologic Unit, Department of Periodontology, Tor Vergata University, Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 54:351-62. 2005....
- Clinical study on the closure of extraction wounds of partially soft tissue-impacted mandibular third molarsYavuz Sinan Aydintug
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Quintessence Int 43:863-70. 2012..We hypothesize that a blood clot preserving a surgical wound with easily cleanable surfaces by primary closure and drain application would postoperatively minimize dry socket and/or alveolitis development.
- [Comparison of two kinds of procedures used in the removal of horizontal impacted mandibular third molars]Wen Chao Li
Dept of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chifeng College Hospital of Inner Mongolia, Chifeng 024000, China
Hua Xi Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 28:71-3. 2010..To compare the effect of lingual split bone technique and high speed turbine bodkin boneless technique in the removal of horizontal impacted mandibular third molars...
- Impacted mandibular third molars: depth of impaction and surgical methods of extraction among NigeriansA E Obiechina
Dental Centre, University College Hospital, P.M.B. 5116, Ibadan, Nigeria
Odontostomatol Trop 24:33-6. 2001....
- Influence of estroprogestinic therapy on the postoperative course following impacted third molar extractionS Sivolella
Department of Oral Surgery, University of Padua, Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Padua, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 59:611-23. 2010..therapy undergoing extraction of the third lower molar have a higher incidence of postoperative complications (dry socket -DS- pain)...
- Dry socket following surgical removal of impacted third molar in an Iranian population: incidence and risk factorsM Eshghpour
Member of Student Research Committee, Dental School, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Niger J Clin Pract 16:496-500. 2013b>Dry socket (DS) is the most common post-surgical complication following extraction of impacted molar teeth...
- Local interventions for the management of alveolar osteitis (dry socket)Blanaid Daly
Dental Practice and Policy, King s College London Dental Institute, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD006968. 2012Alveolar osteitis (dry socket) is a complication of dental extractions and occurs more commonly in extractions involving mandibular molar teeth...
- The prevention of 'dry socket' with topical metronidazole in general dental practiceD Reekie
Dental School, University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH
Br Dent J 200:210-3; discussion 206; quiz 226. 2006..The purpose of the study was to determine if the intra-alveolar application of topical metronidazole gel could reduce the incidence of alveolar osteitis (dry socket) following routine tooth extraction in molar and premolar extraction sites.
- Clinical evaluation of post-extraction site wound healingWasiu Lanre Adeyemo
Medical College of Dental Surgery in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:40-9. 2006..The aim of this prospective study was to evaluate the clinical pattern of post-extraction wound healing with a view to identify the types, incidence, and pattern of healing complications following non-surgical tooth extraction...
- Etiology of dry socket: additional factorsW L Adeyemo
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:519-20. 2004
- Azithromycin as prophylaxis for the prevention of postoperative infection in impacted mandibular third-molar surgeryKohji Ishihama
Department of Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Osaka Police Hospital, 10 31 Kitayama cho, Tennoji ku, Osaka 543 0035, Japan
J Infect Chemother 12:31-5. 2006..The study design was a retrospective, single-center review. One (2.2%) of all 45 patients exhibited dry socket infection...
- Coronectomy as the treatment of choice in wisdom teeth showing radiographic signs of close proximity to inferior dental nerveYiu Yan Leung
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Ann R Australas Coll Dent Surg 20:93-4. 2010..It also carries less surgical morbidities when compared with total removal of lower wisdom tooth...
- Coronectomy practice. Paper 2: complications and long term managementVinod Patel
Oral Surgery Dept, Guys Dental Hospital, Floor 23 Tower Wing, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 51:347-52. 2013..The first part dealt in detail with technical aspects. This one will consider the management of common complications...
- Tooth loss in a sub-urban Nigerian population: causes and pattern of mortality revisitedFadekemi Olufunmilayo Oginni
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Int Dent J 55:17-23. 2005..To determine the current causes and pattern of tooth loss in Ile-Ife Nigeria...
- Considerations of mandibular angle fractures during and after surgery for removal of third molars: a review of the literatureBruno Ramos Chrcanovic
Av Raja Gabaglia, 1000 1209 Gutierrez, Belo Horizonte, MG CEP, 30441 070, Brazil
Oral Maxillofac Surg 14:71-80. 2010..Common complications of mandibular third molar surgery include alveolar osteitis (dry socket), secondary infection, nerve dysfunction, and hemorrhage...
- Complications of exodontia: a retrospective studyGokul Parameswar Venkateshwar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Padmashree Dr D Y Patil Dental College and Hospital, Dr D Y Patil University, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, India
Indian J Dent Res 22:633-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to analyze the incidence of various complications following routine exodontia performed using fixed protocols...
- [Alveolitis: review of the literature]M Laraki
Centre de consultation et de traitement dentaire Rabat CCTD, Maroc
Odontostomatol Trop 35:19-25. 2012..Nevertheless, treatment is mainly favorable by a sedation of the pain and the startup of a physiological healing. From this article, we are going to review their clinical forms, their etiology as well as the followed treatment...
- Differential diagnosis of orofacial pain and temporomandibular disorderAnil Kumar
Department of Oral Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, PO Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
Dent Clin North Am 57:419-28. 2013....
- Evaluation of relative distribution and risk factors in patients with dry socket referring to Yazd dental clinicsHasan Momeni
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Yazd University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Dent Res J (Isfahan) 8:S84-7. 2011b>Dry socket is one of the most prevalent complications occurring after tooth extraction. The prevalence of such condition has been reported to be highly different, ranging from 0.5 to 68.4%...
- [Maxillary osteonecrosis caused by toxic effect of zinc-oxide-eugenol paste]G Jovanovic
Stomatologiia (Mosk) 86:47-50. 2007..oil and sterilized cotton is frequently used in dental practice as surgical bandage for eliminating or dry socket. Osteonecrosis of alveolar bone caused by free eugenol is rare but possible complication...
- [Use of "gelatamp" colloidal silver gelatin sponge to prevent dry socket after extracting mandibular impacted teeth]Yao Zhong Wang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Qingdao Stomatological Hospital, Qingdao 266003, China
Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 22:108-10. 2013To study the clinical effect of "gelatamp" colloidal silver gelatin sponge on preventing dry socket after extracting the mandibular impacted teeth.
- [Modified polyurethane foam as a local hemostatic agent after dental extractions]M H A Selten
Uit de afdeling Kaakchirurgie van het Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 120:378-82. 2013..This study suggests that polyurethane foam has hemostatic capacity. Large scale clinical research is needed to confirm this finding, and should indicate whether this hemostatic capacity is clinically relevant...
- The management of dry socket/alveolar osteitisDenise C Bowe
Dublin Dental School and Hospital, Dublin 2
J Ir Dent Assoc 57:305-10. 2011b>Dry socket/alveolar osteitis is a very debilitating, severely painful but relatively common complication following dental extractions...
- Study of antibiotic prescribing among dental practitioners in Shiraz, Islamic Republic of IranG Vessal
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran
East Mediterr Health J 17:763-9. 2011..chronic apical infection, periodontal abscess, chronic gingivitis, chronic periodontitis, pericoronitis and dry socket). A majority correctly prescribed antibiotics for acute periapical infection (77.2%), cellulitis (75...
- Should removal of lower third molars be included in the pre-graduate curriculum for dental students? An evaluation of post-operative complications after student operationsJennifer Christensen
Department of Oral Radiology, School of Dentistry, Aarhus University, Denmark
Acta Odontol Scand 70:42-8. 2012..To evaluate guidelines for selection of lower third molars (M3) to be removed by dental students (DS) and to compare M3 surgery performed by oral surgeons (OS) and DSs with regard to operation time and post-operative complications...
- Use of cone-beam computerized tomography for evaluation of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jawsNathaniel S Treister
Division of Oral Medicine and Dentistry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:753-64. 2010..The purpose of this study was to compare the clinical and radiographic features of a series of 7 subjects with BONJ who were evaluated by both CBCT and digital panoramic radiography...
- After dentoalveolar surgery, most patients are satisfied with telephone follow-upSrinivas M Susarla
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 69:2099-105. 2011....
- The cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor celecoxib and alveolar osteitisJehad Al-Sukhun
Oral Surgery Department, Euro Oral Hammaslääkärikeskus, Fredrikinkatu 41A, 9, 00330 Helsinki, Finland
J Ir Dent Assoc 57:50-3. 2011....
- Alveolar osteitis and osteomyelitis of the jawsPeter A Krakowiak
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, 925 West 34th Street, Room Den 146, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 23:401-13. 2011....
- Can flap design influence the incidence of alveolar osteitis following removal of impacted mandibular third molars?Afshin Haraji
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Gen Dent 58:e187-9. 2010..The modified triangular flap decreased the incidence of AO and expedited healing at seven days postsurgery. In addition, statistically significant differences were observed in terms of both AO and postoperative healing...
- [Lincomycin applied to the alveolus on TCP carrier and its effect on wound healing after surgical extraction of a third molar]Izabela Wiśniewska
Zakład Chirurgii Stomatologicznej Pomorskiej Akademii Medycznej w Szczecinie al Powstańców Wlkp 72, 70 111 Szczecin
Ann Acad Med Stetin 55:59-64. 2009..This study was undertaken to determine whether lincomycin applied to the alveolus on TCP carrier can be used to accelerate wound healing and reduce inflammation after surgical extraction of a third molar...
- Comparison of alvogyl, SaliCept patch, and low-level laser therapy in the management of alveolar osteitisGöksel Şimşek Kaya
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ataturk University, Faculty of Dentistry, Erzurum, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 69:1571-7. 2011..The aim of the present randomized prospective clinical trial was to compare the effects of alvogyl, the SaliCept patch, and low-level laser therapy in the management of alveolar osteitis...
- Alveolar osteitis: a comprehensive review of concepts and controversiesAntonia Kolokythas
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 801 South Paulina Street, MC 835, Chicago, IL 60016, USA
Int J Dent 2010:249073. 2010Alveolar osteitis, "dry socket", remains amongst the most commonly encountered complications following extraction of teeth by general dentists and specialists...
- Osteomyelitis presenting in two patients: a challenging disease to manageV Patel
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Guy s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London, UK
Br Dent J 209:393-6. 2010..Two cases are reported of chronic osteomyelitis in healthy individuals with no adverse medical conditions. The management of these cases are described...
- Experimental dry socket: microscopic and molecular evaluation of two treatment modalitiesCamila Lopes Cardoso
Department of Oral Surgery, Bauru School of Dentistry, USP, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 26:365-72. 2011To evaluate two treatment modalities of dry socket in rats and to discuss the first findings of the molecular analysis in this experimental model.
- Evaluation of intra-alveolar chlorhexidine dressings after removal of impacted mandibular third molarsP G Fotos
Department of Oral Pathology, Radiology, and Medicine, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 73:383-8. 1992..These findings warrant further studies concerning the apparent clinical benefit of postextraction intra-alveolar CHX dressings for the reduction of postoperative alveolar osteitis...
- Prevalence of dry socket following extraction of permanent teeth at Kathmandu University Teaching Hospital (KUTH), Dhulikhel, Kavre,Nepal: a studyC Upadhyaya
Department of Dentistry, Dhulikhel Hospital, Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 8:18-24. 2010..the most common postoperative complications following the extraction of permanent teeth is a condition known as dry socket. Although the aetiology of dry socket is debated, it is probably multifactoral, and its pathogenesis remains ..
- The efficacy of a topical anesthetic gel in the relief of pain associated with localized alveolar osteitisCorey C Burgoyne
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0566, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:144-8. 2010..This prospective randomized clinical study assessed the efficacy of pain control for postextraction alveolar osteitis comparing the use of eugenol on a gauze strip versus a thermosetting gel containing 2.5% prilocaine and 2.5% lidocaine...
- Dental extraction wound management: medicating postextraction socketsP J Vezeau
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 58:531-7. 2000....
- Plasminogen activators and inhibitor type-1 in alveolar osteitisSimona Serrati
Department of Experimental Pathology and Oncology, University of Florence, Italy
Eur J Oral Sci 114:500-3. 2006..Peri-alveolar gingival epithelium in AO showed an overall decrease of all the components of the fibrinolytic system, including the urokinase receptor, which indicates a decrease of the migration properties of epithelial cells...
- Clinical evaluation of an ointment with 10% metronidazole and 2% lidocaine in the treatment of alveolitisL J Silva
Dentistry Post Graduate Course, Department of Surgery and Integrated Clinic Discipline, Faculty of Dentistry, UNESP, São Paulo State University Araçatuba, Brazil
Minerva Stomatol 55:431-6. 2006..In this study, the authors evaluate the use of a 10% metronidazole and 2% lidocaine ointment, using a lanolin base and mint as flavoring, to treat alveolitis in humans...
- CASP and CONSORTH Falcon
Br Dent J 201:130; author reply 130-1. 2006
- Intra-alveolar chlorhexidine gel for the prevention of dry socket in mandibular third molar surgery. A pilot studyDaniel Torres-Lagares
Faculty of Odontology, University of Seville, Sevilla, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E179-84. 2006Chlorhexidine is a good prophylactic agent for post-extraction dry socket alveolitis. The bio-adhesive 0...
- The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Age-Related Third Molar StudyRichard H Haug
University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, 80 Rose St, Changler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0297, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1106-14. 2005..The purpose of this investigation was to assess the frequency of complications of third molar surgery, both intraoperatively and postoperatively, specifically for patients 25 years of age or older...
- Are sterile gloves necessary in nonsurgical dental extractions?Wasiu Lanre Adeyemo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:936-40. 2005..The aim of the study was to compare the incidence of healing complications of extraction socket with the use of sterile or clean nonsterile gloves during nonsurgical dental extractions...
- A randomised controlled clinical trial to compare the incidence of injury to the inferior alveolar nerve as a result of coronectomy and removal of mandibular third molarsT Renton
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental Institute, Bart s and the London Hospital, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Ground Floor, Turner Street, London E1 2AD, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:7-12. 2005..01). The incidence of dry socket infection was similar in the three groups (10/102, 10%, 7/58, 12%, and 4/36, 11%, respectively)...
- [Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy for prevention of alveolar ostitis and post-extraction pain]J Neugebauer
Klinik und Poliklinik für Zahnärztliche Chirurgie und Mund, Kiefer und Plastische Gesichtschirurgie, Universitat zu Koln
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 8:350-5. 2004..The aim of the study was to evaluate the possibility of aPDT with HELBO Blue and diode soft laser to reduce the prevalence of alveolar ostitis...