Genomes and Genes
Summary: A name applied to several itchy skin eruptions of unknown cause. The characteristic course is the formation of a dome-shaped papule with a small transient vesicle on top, followed by crusting over or lichenification. (From Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Effectors of inflammation in actinic prurigoJ E Arrese
Department of Dermatopathology, , Belgium
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:957-61. 2001BACKGROUND: Actinic prurigo is a specific familial photodermatosis of uncertain pathogenesis. OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to investigate the immunohistologic presentation of actinic prurigo to explore the involved pathomechanisms...
- Long-term thalidomide for actinic prurigoS A Yong-Gee
Department of Dermatology, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 42:281-3. 2001..finding of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) DR4 with the rare DRB1*0407 subtype confirmed a diagnosis of actinic prurigo. Thalidomide (100 mg/day) was commenced at the age of 11 years after an unsuccessful trial of other treatments ..
- Prurigo nodularis: a reviewMichael R Lee
Department of Dermatology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Pacific Highway, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 46:211-18; quiz 219-20. 2005b>Prurigo nodularis is a chronic condition characterized by a papulonodular pruriginous eruption of unknown aetiology. This condition is a difficult disease to treat and causes frustration to both the patient and the treating doctor...
- Excimer laser vs. clobetasol propionate 0·05% ointment in prurigo form of atopic dermatitis: a randomized controlled trial, a pilotE E A Brenninkmeijer
Department of Dermatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 163:823-31. 2010..As this laser enables high radiant exposure of narrowband UVB and precise targeting of affected skin, it appears to be a promising treatment for the prurigo form of atopic dermatitis (AD).
- Association of collagenous colitis with prurigo nodularisHajnal Székely
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:946-51. 2009..b>Prurigo nodularis is a chronic condition characterized by intensely pruritic, lichenified, or excoriated papules and ..
- A candidate gene analysis of three related photosensitivity disorders: cutaneous lupus erythematosus, polymorphic light eruption and actinic prurigoT P Millard
Department of Photobiology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Dermatol 145:229-36. 2001..PLE) is a common inherited photosensitivity disorder, which may predispose to several related but distinct conditions, including subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE), discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) and actinic prurigo (AP).
- Hodgkin's disease manifesting as prurigo nodularisL S Shelnitz
Department of Pediatrics, Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614
Pediatr Dermatol 7:136-9. 1990b>Prurigo nodularis is an uncommon pediatric cutaneous disorder that is associated with intense pruritus. We report a teenager with prurigo nodularis as the presenting sign of stage IIA Hodgkin's disease, primarily in the mediastinum...
- Dermatitis herpetiformis and gluten-sensitive enteropathy in a patient with nodular prurigoM Delfino
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 16:88-9. 2002
- Prurigo nodularis and lichen simplex chronicusTorello Lotti
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Dermatol Ther 21:42-6. 2008..a self-perpetuating pathomechanism, may represent the main feature of two distinct cutaneous clinical entities: prurigo nodularis and lichen simplex chronicus...
- Severe resistant subacute prurigo successfully controlled by long-term cyclosporinE Dauden
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Diego de Leon 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Dermatolog Treat 14:48-50. 2003The case of a 50-year-old woman with an intensely pruritic subacute prurigo resistant to multiple therapeutic regimens is described...
- Vesiculous prurigo pigmentosa in a 13-year-old girl: good response to isotretinoinC Requena Caballero
Department of Dermatology, Instituto Valenciano de Oncologia, Valencia, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 19:474-6. 2005b>Prurigo pigmentosa is a rare inflammatory disease of unknown origin, first reported from Japan, with only 33 cases described in non-Japanese patients...
- Thalidomide: dermatological indications, mechanisms of action and side-effectsJ J Wu
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
Br J Dermatol 153:254-73. 2005..Further, it has shown its effectiveness in unresponsive dermatological conditions such as actinic prurigo, adult Langerhans cell histiocytosis, aphthous stomatitis, BehÃ§et's syndrome, graft-versus-host disease, ..
- Lymphocyte subtypes and adhesion molecules in actinic prurigo: observations with cyclosporin AAngela Umana
Instituto de Genetica Humana, Facultad de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Carrera 7 No 40 62, Bogota, Colombia
Int J Dermatol 41:139-45. 2002Actinic prurigo is a photodermatitis in which UV light is implicated by an unknown mechanism.
- Evidence that thalidomide modifies the immune response of patients suffering from actinic prurigoIris Estrada-G
Depto de Inmunología, Escuela Nacional de Ciencias Biologicas, IPN, Centro de Investigaciones y Estudios Avanzados, IPN, Mexico, DF
Int J Dermatol 43:893-7. 2004Actinic prurigo (AP) is a photodermatosis with a restricted ethnic distribution, mainly affecting Mestizo women (mixed Indian and European)...
- Diagnosis and treatment of actinic prurigoMaria Teresa Hojyo-Tomoka
Department of Dermatology, Hospital General Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez, Mexico City, Mexico
Dermatol Ther 16:40-4. 2003Actinic prurigo (AP) is an idiopathic photodermatosis that affects mainly the mestizo population in Latin America...
- Actinic prurigo cheilitis: clinicopathologic analysis and therapeutic results in 116 casesMaria Elisa Vega-Memije
Department of Dermatology, Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez General Hospital, Mexico City, Mexico
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:83-91. 2002..Objective. This study describes the clinicopathologic features and therapeutic results of 116 patients with actinic prurigo cheilitis seen over an 11-year period. Study Design...
- Treatment of prurigo nodularis with thalidomide: a case report and review of the literatureAbdullah Alfadley
Department of Medicine, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Dermatol 42:372-5. 2003
- ESRD-associated cutaneous manifestations in a hemodialysis populationCarol M Headley
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, USA
Nephrol Nurs J 29:525-7, 531-9; quiz 540-1. 2002..The pathophysiology, presentation, and nursing implications of perforating dermatosis, metastatic calcification, polytetraflouroethylene graft infection, and lichen planus are discussed with corresponding case reports...
- The specific dermatoses of pregnancy: a re-appraisalS I Al-Fares
Department of Dermatological Immunopathology, St John's Institute of Dermatology, Guy's King's and St Thomas' School of Medicine, St Thomas' Hospital, London, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 15:197-206. 2001..Learning objective: At the conclusion of this learning activity, participants should be aware of the main entities of the specific pregnancy dermatoses, their clinical presentations, the main diagnostic criteria and therapeutic options...
- [Actinic prurigo]Norbert J Neumann
Leiter der Subkommission physikalische Therapie in der Dermatologie Prof. Dr. E. Holzle
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2:373-5. 2004
- [Actinic prurigo]Eva Boné Stockbridge
Arhus Universitetshospital, Arhus Sygehus, Dermatologisk Afdeling S, Arhus C
Ugeskr Laeger 170:1158. 2008..Further investigations led to the conclusion that the patient suffered from Actinic Prurigo. The disease was very severe and there was a lack of response to treatment with oral prednisolone, antihistamines ..
- Thalidomide: an experience in therapeutic outcome and adverse reactionsNand L Sharma
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, India
J Dermatolog Treat 18:335-40. 2007..The US FDA-approved thalidomide for the treatment of chronic recurrent/severe erythema nodosum leprosum. Thalidomide is also useful in many other inflammatory dermatological conditions where patients have exhausted other treatment options...
- Immune responses to isolated human skin antigens in actinic prurigoAlberto Gomez
Instituto de Genetica Humana, Facultad de Medicina, Bogotá and Facultad de Ciencias, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia
Med Sci Monit 12:BR106-13. 2006Actinic prurigo (AP) is a frequent photodermatosis among Amerindians, with a high incidence among women and children below ten years of age. Neither the cause of actinic prurigo nor its etiological agent have been described...
- Successful thalidomide therapy for actinic prurigo in a European womanAnna Holzer
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 4:961-4. 2006Actinic prurigo is a rare, often difficult-to-treat, idiopathic photodermatosis. Actinic prurigo is divided into a hereditary form appearing in the Native American population and a sporadic form occurring in non-Native Americans...
- Localization of mu-opioid receptor 1A on sensory nerve fibers in human skinSonja Ständer
Department of Dermatology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Regul Pept 110:75-83. 2002..In diseased skin such as psoriasis vulgaris, atopic dermatitis, and prurigo nodularis, distribution of MOR 1A immunoreactivity was similar to that of normal skin...
- Prurigo pigmentosa on a patient with soft-drink ketosisYoshihiko Mitsuhashi
J Dermatol 32:767-8. 2005
- Thalidomide treatment for prurigo nodularis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected subjects: efficacy and risk of neuropathyToby Maurer
Department of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, Room 224, Ward 92, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Arch Dermatol 140:845-9. 2004To evaluate safety and efficacy of thalidomide in the treatment of prurigo nodularis in a group of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients whose condition was recalcitrant to standard treatment.
- Peripheral neuropathy associated with nodular prurigoA Bharati
Dermatology Department, Broadgreen Hospital, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust, Liverpool, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 32:67-70. 2007Nodular prurigo is characterized by nodules and papules that are intensely pruritic. Thalidomide is used to treat patients with recalcitrant disease...
- Thalidomide in the management of epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosaS Ozanic Bulic
Department of Dermatology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London WC1N 3JH, UK
Br J Dermatol 152:1332-4. 2005....
- [Photosensitivity in children]N Bodak
Service de Dermatologie, , 149, , 75015 Paris, France
Ann Dermatol Venereol 129:244-50. 2002
- Actinic prurigo: clinical features and HLA associations in a Canadian Inuit populationM C Wiseman
Section of Dermatology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:952-6. 2001BACKGROUND: Actinic prurigo (AP) is an idiopathic familial photodermatitis. AP of the Inuit is rarely reported and poorly characterized...
- Association of HLA subtype DRB10407 in Colombian patients with actinic prurigoAlfonso Suarez
Centro Dermatologico Federico Lleras Acosta, E S E Bogota, Colombia
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 22:55-8. 2006Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) DRB1*0407 had been associated with actinic prurigo in different populations. This class II HLA-DR subtype had not been studied in Colombia.
- Photosensitivity disorders: cause, effect and managementThomas P Millard
Department of Photobiology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Am J Clin Dermatol 3:239-46. 2002..idiopathic) photodermatoses such as polymorphic light eruption (PLE), chronic actinic dermatitis (CAD), actinic prurigo, hydroa vacciniforme and solar urticaria, in addition to drug- and chemical-induced photosensitivity and photo-..
- [Uncommon manifestations of atopic dermatitis]Jaime Salvador Calderón Rivera
Departamento de Alergia e Inmunologia Clinica, Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez
Rev Alerg Mex 54:96-103. 2007..The identification of these atypical presentations of atopic dermatitis leads to the differential diagnosis, with an early establishment of the disease's diagnosis and the appropriate and early treatment...
- Actinic prurigo: a retrospective analysis of 21 cases referred to an Australian photobiology clinicRohan Crouch
The University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine (Dermatology) St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Victoria 3065, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 43:128-32. 2002Actinic prurigo (AP) is a rare acquired idiopathic photodermatosis, reported most often in American Indians, but also in Caucasian and Asian populations...
- Actinic prurigo deterioration due to degradation of DermaGard window filmA C Kerr
Br J Dermatol 157:619-20. 2007
- Prurigo pigmentosaJohn F Shannon
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Queensland, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 47:289-90. 2006..The diagnosis of prurigo pigmentosa was made on the basis of the clinico-histological features and a response to minocycline...
- Prurigo pigmentosa: a distinctive inflammatory disease of the skinAlmut Boer
Department of Dermatology, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Dermatopathol 25:117-29. 2003More than 200 patients with prurigo pigmentosa, a disease described first by Nagashima in 1971, have been reported on in Japan, but only 28 non-Japanese patients have come to notice as of today...
- Adult-onset Still's disease with prurigo pigmentosa-like skin eruptionKahori Tomaru
Department of Dermatology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
J Dermatol 33:55-8. 2006A 34-year-old woman with adult-onset Still's disease (AOSD) developed prurigo pigmentosa-like lesions on her chest and upper back in addition to the typical rash of AOSD...
- A randomised controlled trial on photo(chemo)therapy of subacute prurigoT Gambichler
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Clin Exp Dermatol 31:348-53. 2006Psoralen ultraviolet A (PUVA) is the standard photo(chemo)therapeutic regimen for patients suffering from subacute prurigo (SP).
- Pentoxifylline in the treatment of actinic prurigo. A preliminary report of 10 patientsBertha Torres-Alvarez
Dermatology Department, Hospital Central Dr Ignacio Morones Prieto, Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi, San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Dermatology 208:198-201. 2004Actinic prurigo (AP) is a chronic familial photodermatosis usually seen in Latin-American Mestizo and Indian populations. It frequently begins in childhood and is more prevalent in females...
- Actinic prurigoBenjamin Moncada
Int J Dermatol 44:700-1; author reply 701. 2005
- Habit reversal training for the itch-scratch cycle associated with pruritic skin conditionsMarianne Grillo
Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, South Australia
Dermatol Nurs 19:243-8. 2007..Dermatology nurses trained in habit reversal therapy can enhance system management and quality of life for patients. Recommendations for the evaluation of habit reversal in patients with eczema and prurigo nodularis are made.
- Etiology of pruritic papular eruption with HIV infection in UgandaJack S Resneck
Department of Dermatology and Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, CA 94143 0363, USA
JAMA 292:2614-21. 2004..The resulting scars are disfiguring and stigmatizing. Despite the substantial prevalence of pruritic papular eruption (PPE) among HIV-infected Africans, the cause has been elusive...
- Dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa is not associated with frequent FLG gene mutationsH Schumann
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Freiburg, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 159:464-9. 2008..604129) is a rare manifestation of dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (DEB), characterized by pruritus, nodular prurigo-like lesions and fragility of the skin mainly in the extremities...
- Treatment of prurigo nodularis with topical capsaicinS Ständer
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cell Biology and Immunobiology of the Skin, University of Muenster, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:471-8. 2001b>Prurigo nodularis is an eruption of lichenified or excoriated nodules caused by intractable pruritus that is difficult to treat...
- Pregnancy-related pruritic rashYang Xia
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Am Fam Physician 76:1019-20. 2007
- [How I explore...pruritus in a pregnant woman]G Szepetiuk
CHU du Sart Tilman, Service de Dermatopathologie
Rev Med Liege 62:719-24. 2007..gravidarum with or without intrahepatic cholestasis, pemphigoid gestationis, polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, prurigo gestationis, acute folliculitis of pregnancy, impetigo herpetiformis and the progesterone auto-immune dermatitis...
- Chronic rash on the neckNorman Levine
University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ, USA
Geriatrics 63:39. 2008
- An itch that must be scratchedRaymond B Kuwahara
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, USA
Am Fam Physician 73:299-300. 2006
- In reference to "Itching stretch marks and bullous lesions in a pregnant woman" by Uwe Wollina, Karl-Werner Degen, Helga Konrad, and Jacqueline SchönlebeAgnès Gadroy
Int J Dermatol 45:633-4. 2006
- From prurigo gestationis Besnier to atopic eruption of pregnancy: the confusing nosology of the less well-defined dermatoses of pregnancy has been largely clarifiedChristina M Ambros-Rudolph
Clin Dermatol 24:545-7. 2006
- Prurigo pigmentosa in a patient with primary biliary cirrhosis and SjÃ¶gren syndromeYaei Togawa
Department of Dermatology, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
J Dermatol 31:815-9. 2004..Biopsy specimens showed the typical histopathological findings of prurigo pigmentosa...
- Dermatologic signs in patients with eating disordersRenata Strumia
Unit of Dermatology, University Hospital S Anna, Ferrara, Italy
Am J Clin Dermatol 6:165-73. 2005..interdigital intertrigo, paronychia, generalized pruritus, acquired striae distensae, slower wound healing, prurigo pigmentosa, edema, linear erythema craquele, acral coldness, pellagra, scurvy, and acrodermatitis enteropathica...
- Biofeedback, cognitive-behavioral methods, and hypnosis in dermatology: is it all in your mind?Philip D Shenefelt
Division of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Dermatol Ther 16:114-22. 2003..factitious cheilitis, hyperhidrosis, lichen simplex chronicus, needle phobia, neurodermatitis, onychotillomania, prurigo nodularis, trichotillomania, and urticaria...
- Granulomatous rosacea-like leukemid in a patient with acute myeloid leukemiaDusan Skiljevic
Clinical Center of Serbia, Institute of Dermatology and Venereology, Belgrade, Serbia
Vojnosanit Pregl 65:565-8. 2008..or immunologic impairment, but also Sweet syndrome, pyoderma gangrenosum, erythroderma, maculopapular exanthema, prurigo-like papules, generalized pigmentation, follicular mucinosis, generalized pruritus may be found during the course ..
- Different applications of monochromatic excimer light in skin diseasesSteven Paul Nisticò
Department of Dermatology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Photomed Laser Surg 27:647-54. 2009..Ultraviolet radiation has been used for curative purposes in dermatologic conditions, especially in the last 30 years...
- A review of deferasirox, bortezomib, dasatinib, and cyclosporine eye drops: possible uses and known side effects in cutaneous medicineNoah Scheinfeld
Department of Dermatology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center
J Drugs Dermatol 6:352-5. 2007..host disease, herpes keratitis, chronic sarcoidosis of the conjunctiva, conjunctival manifestations of actinic prurigo, keratitis of keratitis-ichthyosis deafness (KID) syndrome, and lichen planus-related kerato-conjunctivitis...
- Thalidomide: a re-lookJ K Grover
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Natl Med J India 13:132-41. 2000..thalidomide has been found to be effective in systemic lupus erythematosus, discoid lupus erythematosus, actinic prurigo and prurigo nodularis...
- Pregnancy dermatoses: diagnosis, management, and controversiesMaria Magdalena Roth
Department of Dermatology, Elias University Emergency Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
Am J Clin Dermatol 12:25-41. 2011..of pregnancy, impetigo herpetiformis, polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, and the papular dermatoses of pregnancy [prurigo of pregnancy, pruritic folliculitis of pregnancy, and the new classification, atopic eruption of pregnancy]) in ..
- [Prevalence of skin disorders in HIV patients in Senegal and relationship to degree of immunosuppression]G Monsel
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Groupe Hospitalier de la Pitié Salpêtrière, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Ann Dermatol Venereol 135:187-93. 2008..The aim was to evaluate the association between dermatological findings in HIV-infected patients in Senegal and degree of immunosuppression and HIV stage...
- Update on intralesional steroid: focus on dermatosesRobert N Richards
Department of Medicine Dermatology, North York General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 14:19-23. 2010..Little has been written about its use in inflammatory dermatoses such as psoriasis and localized dermatitis since the 1960s, the conditions for which it was originally most studied and used...
- The quality of life of 790 patients with photodermatosesC T Jong
Department of Dermatology, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:192-7. 2008..However, there is little information available about the impact of other photodermatoses on QoL...
- Narrowband UVB phototherapy in skin conditions beyond psoriasisThilo Gambichler
Department of Dermatology, Oldchurch Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:660-70. 2005..However, the role of NB UVB seems to be less clear in the management of skin conditions beyond psoriasis...
- [Evaluation of histological criteria for bullous pemphigoid. Correlation with antigens recognized by immunoblotting of anti-epidermal autoantibodies]P Courville
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Unité INSERM U519, CHU Charles Nicolle, Rouen
Ann Pathol 20:564-9. 2000..Histological findings considered as poorly suggestive of bullous pemphigoid consisted of a prurigo-like or an eczematous-like or a drug induced-like picture or no specific cutaneous erosions...
- A novel splice site mutation in collagen type VII gene in a Chinese family with dominant dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosaWei Jiang
Department of Dermatology, First Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, China
Acta Derm Venereol 82:187-91. 2002..bullosa dystrophica and a heterogeneous inherited disease, is characterized by pruritus, excoriated nodular prurigo-like lesions, skin fragility, altered anchoring fibrils and loss of dermal-epidermal adhesion...
- Diseases associated with photosensitivityG M Murphy
Department of Dermatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Photochem Photobiol B 64:93-8. 2001..Those in the former category include polymorphic light eruption, juvenile spring eruption, actinic prurigo, hydroa vacciniforme, solar urticaria, also chronic actinic dermatitis...
- Skin manifestations associated with toxocariasis: a case-control studyP Humbert
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Besancon, France
Dermatology 201:230-4. 2000..Objective: The purpose of our study was to assess the risk of having a positive Toxocara ELISA test in patients with different cutaneous symptoms...
- A case series of 48 patients treated with thalidomideSean D Doherty
Department of Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 7:769-73. 2008..Thalidomide is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for erythema nodosum leprosum, but has been used in many other dermatological conditions that are refractory to standard therapy...
- Skin disease in HIV-positive persons living in Puerto RicoDharma M Freytes
University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, School of Nursing, San Juan, PR
Adv Skin Wound Care 20:149-50, 152-6. 2007....
- Allelic heterogeneity of dominant and recessive COL7A1 mutations underlying epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosaJ E Mellerio
Department of Cell and Molecular Pathology, St John s Institute of Dermatology The Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals Medical School, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 112:984-7. 1999..clinical subtype of this disease, epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa, characterized by pruritus, excoriated prurigo nodules, and skin fragility...
- Pharmacological, pharmacokinetic and clinical properties of olopatadine hydrochloride, a new antiallergic drugKenji Ohmori
Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, Suntogun, Shizuoka, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 88:379-97. 2002..Olopatadine was approved in Japan for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, chronic urticaria, eczema dermatitis, prurigo, pruritus cutaneous, psoriasis vulgaris and erythema exsudativum multiforme in December, 2000...
- Cutaneous sporotrichosis: unusual clinical presentationsVikram K Mahajan
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, Dr R P Govt Medical College, Kangra Tanda, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 76:276-80. 2010..She was diagnosed clinically as a case of prurigo nodularis and histologically as cutaneous tuberculosis, albeit, other laboratory investigations and treatment ..
- Innovative uses of thalidomideMeng Chen
Department of Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, BCM Debakey Building M220, One Baylor Plaza, Mail Stop BCM368, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dermatol Clin 28:577-86. 2010..innovative but off-label uses of thalidomide include aphthous stomatitis, Behçet's disease, lupus erythematosus, prurigo nodularis, sarcoidosis, actinic prurigo, graft-versus-host disease, Langerhans cell histiocytosis, erythema ..
- New glycine substitution mutations in type VII collagen underlying epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa but the phenotype is not explained by a common polymorphism in the matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene promoterNoor Almaani
Genetic Skin Disease Group, St John s Institute of Dermatology, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Acta Derm Venereol 89:6-11. 2009..EB in which intense itching can lead to striking skin changes resembling acquired skin disorders such as nodular prurigo or hypertrophic lichen planus...
- From the brain-skin connection: the neuroendocrine-immune misalliance of stress and itchPetra Arck
Center for Internal Medicine and Dermatology, Charite, University Medicine Berlin, and Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Lubeck, Germany
Neuroimmunomodulation 13:347-56. 2006..by psychological stress, particularly immunodermatoses such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, seborrheic eczema, prurigo nodularis, lichen planus, chronic urticaria, alopecia areata and pruritus sine materia...
- Pruritus as a leading symptom: clinical characteristics and quality of life in German and Ugandan patientsE Weisshaar
Department of Social Medicine, Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Thibautstrasse 3, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 155:957-64. 2006..Pruritus is the most frequent and distressing symptom associated with dermatoses and various internal and neurological diseases...
- Emedastine difumarate: a review of its potential ameliorating effect for tissue remodeling in allergic diseasesHiroyuki Murota
Osaka University, Graduate School of Medicine, Course of Integrated Medicine, Dermatology Department, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita City, Osaka 5650871, Japan
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:1859-67. 2009..symptoms of allergic rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis, urticaria, allergic dermatitis, pruritus cutaneous, and prurigo. In addition to greater efficacy than other antihistamines, emedastine difumarate produces no adverse ..
- Helicobacter pylori infection in skin diseases: a critical appraisalBettina Wedi
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Hannover Medical University, Hannover, Germany
Am J Clin Dermatol 3:273-82. 2002..pylori eradication in Behçet's disease, pruritus cutaneus, prurigo chronica, prurigo nodularis and in some patients with lichen planus, but not in rosacea or psoriasis...
- Analysis of photodermatoses seen in a predominantly Asian population at a photodermatology clinic in SingaporeS N Wong
National Skin Centre, 1 Mandalay Road Singapore 308205, Singapore
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 21:40-4. 2005..This study aims to reassess the spectrum of photodermatoses seen at the National Skin Centre, Singapore, compared with almost a decade ago, and analyse the clinical and photobiological characteristics, as compared with other countries...
- Direct immunofluorescence of skin biopsy: perspective of an immunopathologistRanjana Walker Minz
Department of Immunopathology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 76:150-7. 2010..By direct immunofluorescence (DIF), presence of immune complexes in the skin biopsy at various locations such as the dermo-epidermal junction, dermal blood vessels, etc. help to arrive at a diagnosis...
- [Rediscovery of thalidomide. Successful treatment of discoid lupus erythematosus]A Kuhn
Hautklinik der Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf
Hautarzt 52:726-33. 2001..reintroduced to treat a variety of autoimmune or inflammatory diseases such as erythema nodosum leprosum, prurigo nodularis, graft-versus-host disease, and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE)...
- Spectrum of idiopathic photodermatoses in a Mediterranean countryAlexander J Stratigos
Photobiology Unit, Department of Dermatology, National University of Athens, School of Medicine, Andreas Sygros Hospital for Skin and Venereal Diseases, Athens, Greece
Int J Dermatol 42:449-54. 2003....
- Cutaneous manifestations in relation to immunologic parameters in a cohort of primary myelodysplastic syndrome patientsM Dalamaga
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Attikon General University Hospital, University of Athens, School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:543-8. 2008..Our purpose was to investigate in a cohort of 84 MDS patients the correlation of cutaneous findings with immunologic parameters and prognostic features of MDS in order to clarify their potential clinical significance...
- [Histopathology of photodermatoses]M Megahed
Klinik für Dermatologie und Allergologie, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Pauwels Strasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Hautarzt 57:1083-8. 2006..include the following disorders: polymorphic light eruption, hydroa vacciniforme, solar urticaria, actinic prurigo, acute actinic dermatosis, solar dermatosis, phototoxic dermatitis and photoallergic dermatitis...
- Common skin conditions during pregnancyMarc Tunzi
Family Medicine Residency Program, Natividad Medical Center, Salinas, California 93912, USA
Am Fam Physician 75:211-8. 2007..Pregnancy-specific skin conditions include pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy, prurigo of pregnancy, intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, pemphigoid gestationis, impetigo herpetiformis, and pruritic ..
- Disseminated Kaposi's sarcoma and HCV infection: only a casual relationship? A case reportF Baglieri
U O di Dermatologia e MTS A O S S Elia, Caltanisetta, Italy
G Ital Dermatol Venereol 144:317-20. 2009..such as porphyria cutanea tarda, mixed essential cryoglobulinemia, lichen planus, polyarteritis nodosa, itch/prurigo, is possible, papers on its association with disseminated Kaposi's sarcoma in HIV negative patients are rare in ..
- Quality of life in Swedish children with eczemaAgneta Gånemo
Department of Dermatology, Malmö University Hospital MAS, University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Derm Venereol 87:345-9. 2007..Seventy-eight Swedish children with mild-to-severe eczema ("atopic dermatitis", prurigo Besnier), fulfilling established diagnostic criteria, were investigated for the effect of eczema on QoL...
- Properties of olopatadine hydrochloride, a new antiallergic/antihistaminic drugKenji Ohmori
Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, Shizuoka, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 54:809-29. 2004..Allelock) was approved in Japan for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, chronic urticaria, eczema dermatitis, prurigo, cutaneous pruritus, psoriasis vulgaris and erythema exsudativum multiforme in December, 2000...
- Helicobacter pylori-positive patients with pruritic skin diseases are at increased risk for gastric cancerA Shiotani
Health Administration Center, Wakayama University, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20:80-4. 2004..A number of case reports describe patients with skin diseases, such as prurigo nodularis, that are associated with gastric cancer.
- Helicobacter pylori infection and dermatologic diseasesAna C Hernando-Harder
Department of Medicine II Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 19:431-44. 2009..pylori are: cutaneous pruritus, Behçet's disease, nodular prurigo and lichen planus. Based on the current evidence for a relationship between H...
- Lichen planus pemphigoides evolving into pemphigoid nodularisY Sakuma-Oyama
Department of Dermato immunopathology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, St Thomas Hospital KCL, London, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 28:613-6. 2003..of bullous pemphigoid (BP), which are characterized by histological findings of lichen planus (LP) and nodular prurigo, respectively, and the finding of linear deposits of IgG and/or C3 at the basement membrane zone in perilesional ..
- Expression of vanilloid receptor subtype 1 in cutaneous sensory nerve fibers, mast cells, and epithelial cells of appendage structuresSonja Ständer
Department of Dermatology, University of Munster, Muenster, Germany
Exp Dermatol 13:129-39. 2004..as well as mRNA and protein expression in a series (n = 26) of normal (n = 7), diseased (n = 13) [prurigo nodularis (PN) (n = 10), generalized pruritus (n = 1), and mastocytosis (n = 2)], and capsaicin-treated human ..
- Prurigo nodularis: systematic analysis of 58 histological criteria in 136 patientsNils Weigelt
Department of Dermatology, Neurodermatology and Competence Center Pruritus, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 37:578-86. 2010To date, there has been no systematic investigation of the detailed histological features of prurigo nodularis (PN) in a large cohort of patients.
- The specific dermatoses of pregnancy revisited and reclassified: results of a retrospective two-center study on 505 pregnant patientsChristina M Ambros-Rudolph
Department of Dermatology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:395-404. 2006..We sought to evaluate the frequency and clinical characteristics of pruritic dermatoses in pregnancy and to assess a rationalized classification...
- Oral bepotastine: in allergic disordersKatherine A Lyseng-Williamson
Adis, a Wolters Kluwer Business, Mairangi Bay, North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 70:1579-91. 2010..with allergic rhinitis, chronic urticaria or pruritus associated with skin conditions (eczema/dermatitis, prurigo or pruritus cutaneus)...
- Medical genetics: Sporadic dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa with albopapuloid and prurigo- and folliculitis-like lesionsYi Ming Fan
Department of Dermatology, Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical College, Zhanjiang, Guangdong, China
Int J Dermatol 48:855-7. 2009A case of sporadic dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (DEB) with albopapuloid and prurigo- and folliculitis-like lesions is reported...
- Clinical classification of itch: a position paper of the International Forum for the Study of ItchSonja Ständer
Clinical Neurodermatology, Department of Dermatology, University of Munster, Von Esmarch Strasse 58, Munster, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 87:291-4. 2007..non-inflamed) skin (group II), and pruritus presenting with severe chronic secondary scratch lesions, such as prurigo nodularis (group III)...
- Prurigo nodularis: a benign dermatosis derived from a persistent pruritusDarshan C Vaidya
Dermatology, New Jersey Medical School, 185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 16:38-44. 2008b>Prurigo nodularis (PN) is a benign neurodermatitis of unknown etiology characterized by firm, hyperkeratotic pruritic nodules most commonly localized symmetrically on the bilateral extensor lower extremities...
- The prevalence of mucocutaneous disorders among HIV-positive patients attending an out-patient clinic in Kingston, JamaicaD S Thompson
Department of Medicine, The University of the West Indies, Kingston 7, Jamaica, West Indies
West Indian Med J 57:54-7. 2008..This study focused on the prevalence and spectrum of skin disorders seen in a population of HIV-positive patients in Jamaica...
- 1,24-Dihydroxyvitamin D₃ (tacalcitol) prevents skin T-cell infiltrationK I Yamanaka
Department of Dermatology Immunology, Mie University, Graduate School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Br J Dermatol 162:1206-15. 2010..a vitamin D(3) compound, has been used to treat T cell-mediated inflammatory skin diseases such as psoriasis, prurigo and vitiligo...