Genomes and Genes
Summary: Excessive hair growth at inappropriate locations, such as on the extremities, the head, and the back. It is caused by genetic or acquired factors, and is an androgen-independent process. This concept does not include HIRSUTISM which is an androgen-dependent excess hair growth in WOMEN and CHILDREN.
Publications197 found, 100 shown here
- Primary generalized and localized hypertrichosis in childrenR A Vashi
Division of Dermatology, Children's Memorial Hospital, 2300 Children's Plaza-107, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:877-84. 2001OBJECTIVE: To review the causes, presentation, and therapy of primary generalized and localized symmetrical hypertrichosis in children. DESIGN: Retrospective medical record review...
- [Side-effects and risk profile of latanoprost 0.005% (Xalatan)]T Schlote
Universitäts Augenklinik Tübingen, Abteilung I
Ophthalmologe 99:724-9. 2002..Latanoprost, a prostaglandin F(2alpha)-analogue, has been widely in use in clinical practice for a period of over 5 years. The side-effects of latanoprost are analyzed and the clinical relevance is discussed...
- Comparative study on a single treatment response to long pulse Nd:YAG lasers and intense pulse light therapy for hair removal on skin type IV to VI--is longer wavelengths lasers preferred over shorter wavelengths lights for assisted hair removalC L Goh
Dermatological and Laser Surgery Unit, National Skin Centre, 1 Mandalay Road, Singapore 305205
J Dermatolog Treat 14:243-7. 2003..To investigate the safety and effectiveness of a long pulsed Nd:YAG (1064nm) laser compared to a shorter wavelength intense pulse light system for assisted hair removal in volunteers with skin type 1V, V and VI...
- Linear congenital Becker nevusYoung Suck Ro
Department of Dermatology, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Cutis 75:122-4. 2005..We describe a case of linear congenial Becker nevus following Blaschko line that appeared at birth on the right shoulder, with hypertrichosis developing 4 years later.
- CO2 laser desiccation of urethral hair post-penoscrotal hypospadias repairSarit Cohen
Department of Plastic Surgery, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Cosmet Laser Ther 9:241-3. 2007..Proximal urethral defects account for approximately 20% of hypospadiac urethras. Previous surgical interventions involved hair-bearing genital skin which consequently resulted in a hairy urethra, which is seen mainly in older patients...
- HypertrichosisDaniel S Wendelin
St Louis Children s Hospital, I Chiuldren s Place 3N48, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:161-79; quiz 180-1. 2003b>Hypertrichosis is hair growth that is abnormal for the age, sex, or race of an individual, or for a particular area of the body. Recognized forms of hypertrichosis are reviewed...
- Characterization of an in vivo model for the study of eyelash biology and trichomegaly: mouse eyelash morphology, development, growth cycle, and anagen prolongation by bimatoprostM Tauchi
Institute of Anatomy II, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 162:1186-97. 2010b>Hypertrichosis or alopecia of the eyelashes is associated with various diseases or may be drug induced. Although neither increase nor loss of eyelashes is life threatening, eyelash disorders can be psychologically disturbing...
- Localized acquired hypertrichosis following cast applicationA Kara
Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 18:57-9. 2001A 11-year-old boy with transient hypertrichosis following calcaneal osteotomy and cast application for 2 months is described...
- Hypertrichosis terminalis, gingival hyperplasia, and a characteristic face: a new distinct entitySonia Canún
Division de Genetica, Hospital General Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Med Genet A 116:278-83. 2003Congenital generalized hypertrichosis terminalis has been described in association with other features as gingival hyperplasia, osteochondrodysplasia, and a dysmorphic face...
- Acquired ichthyosis and hypertrichosis due to autoimmune thyroiditis: therapeutic response to thyroxine replacementValeria Brazzelli
Department of Dermatology, University of Pavia, Policlinico S Matteo IRCCS, Pavia, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 22:447-9. 2005..We report a 15-year-old girl with acquired ichthyosis and hypertrichosis associated with hypothyroidism resulting from autoimmune thyroiditis...
- Hypertrichosis in females applying minoxidil topical solution and in normal controlsR P R Dawber
Department of Dermatology, Churchill Hospital, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK abstract
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 17:271-5. 2003b>Hypertrichosis has been reported more frequently in females than in males who use minoxidil topical solution (MTS) for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA)...
- Copy-number mutations on chromosome 17q24.2-q24.3 in congenital generalized hypertrichosis terminalis with or without gingival hyperplasiaMiao Sun
McKusick Zhang Center for Genetic Medicine and State Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Am J Hum Genet 84:807-13. 2009Congenital generalized hypertrichosis terminalis (CGHT) is a rare condition characterized by universal excessive growth of pigmented terminal hairs and often accompanied with gingival hyperplasia...
- Inherited hypertrichosesD Garcia-Cruz
Division de Genetica, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica, Centro Médico de Occidente del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social and Centro Universiario Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico
Clin Genet 61:321-9. 2002b>Hypertrichosis is a rare condition characterized by excessive growth of hair (terminal, vellus or lanugo) in areas of the body that are not predominantly androgen dependent, and it is independent of age, race or sex...
- Hypertrichosis universalis congenita: a separate entity, or the same disease as gingival fibromatosis?I J Lee
Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Pediatr Dermatol 10:263-6. 1993b>Hypertrichosis universalis congenita is an extremely rare disorder characterized by generalized hypertrichosis. It is generally accepted as being inherited as an autosomal dominant trait with varying expression...
- Paradoxical hypertrichosis after laser epilationAbdulmajeed Alajlan
Division of Dermatology, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:85-8. 2005..We sought to retrospectively review the prevalence and features of this paradoxical effect...
- Multiple congenital malformations including generalized hypertrichosis with gum hypertrophy in a child exposed to valproic acid in uteroC Stoll
Service de Genetique Medicale, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire, Strasbourg, France
Genet Couns 14:289-98. 2003..Pregnancy was otherwise uneventful. At birth physical examination showed generalized hypertrichosis sparing palms and soles, coarse face, gum hypertrophy, hypotonia, club feet and club hands, two annular ..
- Acromegaloid facial appearance and hypertrichosis: a case suggesting autosomal recessive inheritancePaulo R G Zen
Clin Dysmorphol 13:49-50. 2004We report a patient with features of acromegaloid facial appearance syndrome and hypertrichosis. Her parental history suggests an autosomal recessive form of inheritance.
- Ipsilateral post-cast hypertrichosis and dyshidrotic dermatitisC H Chang
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 76:97-100. 1995Post-cast hypertrichosis and dyshidrotic dermatitis are not uncommon separately. Yet, the simultaneous occurrence of both conditions in an individual is rare...
- Hypertrichosis cubiti (hairy elbow syndrome): a clue to a malformation syndromeAgata Polizzi
Department of Paediatrics, University of Catania, National Research Council, Catania, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 18:1019-25. 2005b>Hypertrichosis cubiti (HC) or hairy elbow syndrome (OMIM # 139600) consists of a localised form of long vellus hair on the extensor surfaces of the distal third of the upper arm and the proximal third of the forearm bilaterally, or ..
- Paraneoplastic hypertrichosis lanuginosa acquisita: uncommon or overlooked?P H T J Slee
Department of Internal Medicine, St Antonius Hospital, PO Box 2500, 3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 157:1087-92. 2007Acquired hypertrichosis lanugo-type or hypertrichosis lanuginosa acquisita (HLA) is often associated with metabolic and endocrine disorders and use of certain drugs...
- Multiple exostoses, mental retardation, hypertrichosis, and brain abnormalities in a boy with a de novo 8q24 submicroscopic interstitial deletionWim Wuyts
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Med Genet 113:326-32. 2002..Here we describe a boy with multiple exostoses, hypertrichosis, mental retardation, and epilepsy due to a de novo deletion on chromosome 8q24...
- Hypertrichosis of vellus hairs of the malar region after unilateral treatment with bimatoprostJeffrey Hart
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 137:756-7. 2004To report hypertrichosis and increased pigmentation of vellus hairs of the malar region associated with topical bimatoprost usage.
- Gingival overgrowth, congenital generalized hypertrichosis, mental retardation and epilepsy: case report and overviewSofia Douzgou
IRCCS CSS, San Giovanni Rotondo and CSS Mendel Institute, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Clin Dysmorphol 18:205-8. 2009We report on a patient with congenital generalized hypertrichosis, mental retardation, tonic-clonic seizures with onset during the first year of life and gingival overgrowth, unrelated to antiepileptic treatment...
- Nevoid hypertrichosis and hypomelanosisOlivia López-Barrantes
Department of Dermatology, Hospital del Ni o Jes s, Menendez Pelayo 65, 28009 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Dermatol 12:583-5. 2002A girl with multiple lesions of nevoid hypertrichosis and linear hypopigmentation following Blaschko's lines is presented. She had no extracutaneous anomalies...
- Diffuse hypertrichosis and faun-tail naevus as cutaneous markers of spinal dysraphismF C Antony
Department of Dermatology, St Helier Hospital, Surrey, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 27:645-8. 2002..two cases of spinal dysraphism where detection of the cutaneous signs - namely a faun-tail naevus and diffuse hypertrichosis - led to early recognition of the occult neurological abnormalities and institution of corrective surgery...
- Hypertrichosis of the eyelashes caused by bimatoprostAntonella Tosti
Department of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:S149-50. 2004..Latanoprost has been shown to stimulate eyelash hypertrichosis and has recently been proposed as a possible treatment for alopecia areata involving the eyelashes...
- Desmoglein 4 in hair follicle differentiation and epidermal adhesion: evidence from inherited hypotrichosis and acquired pemphigus vulgarisAna Kljuic
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell 113:249-60. 2003..We provide evidence that desmoglein 4 is a key mediator of keratinocyte cell adhesion in the hair follicle, where it coordinates the transition from proliferation to differentiation...
- Lumbosacral hypertrichosis treated with the normal-mode ruby laserRajini Mahendran
Acta Derm Venereol 83:142-3. 2003
- Naevoid hypertrichosis treated with alexandrite laserS T Cheung
Clin Exp Dermatol 29:435-6. 2004
- Giant nevoid hypertrichosis in an Iranian girlRaffaella Vergani
Clinica Dermatologica IV, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 19:64-6. 2002..A physical examination revealed no other abnormalities. In this study the possibility of a genetically determined etiology is considered...
- Multiple nevoid hypertrichosis as an isolated developmental defectDimitrios Sotiriadis
Second Dermatologic Clinic, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Pediatr Dermatol 26:436-8. 2009..Clinical diagnosis of patchy nevoid hypetrichosis was confirmed by histology. Nevoid hypertrichosis is a rare hair growth disorder that usually presents at or soon after birth...
- Fibrous hamartoma of infancy manifesting as multiple nodules with hypertrichosisTae Young Yoon
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Medical Research Institute, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea
J Dermatol 33:427-9. 2006..There have also been a few cases which have showed overlying skin changes, including hypertrichosis and alterations in pigmentation...
- Depigmented hypertrichosis following Blaschko's lines associated with cerebral and ocular malformations: a new neurocutaneous, autosomal lethal gene syndrome from the group of epidermal naevus syndromes?S Schauder
Department of Dermatology, Georg August University Goettingen, von Siebold Strasse 3, D 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 142:1204-7. 2000..We describe a 30-year-old man with depigmented, bilateral hypertrichosis and dilated follicular orifices following Blaschko's lines associated with cerebral and ocular malformations...
- Nevoid hypertrichosis: multiple patches associated with premature graying of lesional hairL S Rupert
Division of Dermatology, Ohio State University, Columbus
Pediatr Dermatol 11:49-51. 1994..Histologic examination demonstrated terminal hair in otherwise normal skin consistent with nevoid hypertrichosis. The clinical and histologic characteristics of nevoid hypertrichosis are compared with other types of ..
- A boy with mental retardation, obesity and hypertrichosis caused by a microdeletion of 19p13.12Nathalie Van der Aa
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Eur J Med Genet 53:291-3. 2010We present a moderately mentally retarded boy with obesity, short stature, hypertrichosis and facial dysmorphism due to a deletion of 1.2 Mb on chromosome 19p13.2...
- Segmental odontomaxillary dysplasia presenting with facial hypertrichosis, commissural lip clefting, and hyperlinear palmsLisa J Koenig
Program in Oral Medicine and Oral Radiology, Department of General Dental Sciences, Marquette University School of Dentistry, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201 1881, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 25:491-2. 2008..is a rare disorder that unilaterally affects the maxilla causing facial asymmetry and presenting with hypertrichosis and hypoplastic or missing teeth in the affected area. Lip clefting has only been reported in one other case...
- Hypertrichosis of the eyelashes from prostaglandin analog use: a blessing or a bother to the patient?M Y Shaikh
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 22:76-7. 2006
- Hypertrichosis in patients with SURF1 mutationsElsebet Ostergaard
John F Kennedy Institute, Glostrup, Denmark
Am J Med Genet A 138:384-8. 2005We present three patients with SURF1 mutations. In addition to Leigh syndrome all patients had hypertrichosis, a clinical sign that is not usually associated with Leigh syndrome...
- A novel mutation in SURF1 causes skipping of exon 8 in a patient with cytochrome c oxidase-deficient leigh syndrome and hypertrichosisS L Williams
University Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, United Kingdom
Mol Genet Metab 73:340-3. 2001..junction of exon 8 of SURF1, in an infant presenting with cytochrome c oxidase-deficient Leigh syndrome and hypertrichosis. cDNA sequencing demonstrated that this deletion results in a messenger lacking exon 8...
- Hypertrichosis and increased pigmentation of eyelashes and adjacent hair in the region of the ipsilateral eyelids of patients treated with unilateral topical latanoprostM A Johnstone
Department of Ophthalmology, Swedish Hospital, Medical Center
Am J Ophthalmol 124:544-7. 1997To describe hypertrichosis and increased pigmentation of eyelashes associated with topical latanoprost usage.
- Acquired trichomegaly of the eyelashes and hypertrichosis induced by bimatoprostM I Herane
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:644-5. 2004
- A position effect on TRPS1 is associated with Ambras syndrome in humans and the Koala phenotype in miceKatherine A Fantauzzo
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:3539-51. 2008Ambras syndrome (AS) is a rare form of congenital hypertrichosis with excessive hair on the shoulders, face and ears. Cytogenetic studies have previously implicated an association with rearrangements of chromosome 8. Here we define an 11...
- SLC29A3 gene is mutated in pigmented hypertrichosis with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus syndrome and interacts with the insulin signaling pathwaySimon T Cliffe
Department of Haematology and Genetics, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:2257-65. 2009..These data suggest that further investigation of the role of SLC29A3 in glucose metabolism is a priority for diabetes research...
- Neonatal hypertrichosis in an infant of a diabetic mother with congenital hypothyroidismM Akcakus
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
J Perinatol 26:256-8. 2006b>Hypertrichosis in a newborn girl infant of a diabetic mother with congenital hypothyroidism is reported. Both neonatal hyperinsulism and increased testosterone levels were documented...
- Erlotinib-associated trichomegalyKatherine Lane
Oculoplastic Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson University Hospital Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 23:65-6. 2007..Examination of her ocular adnexa revealed coarse, brittle, irregular aberrant eyelash growth. She has been successfully treated with regular epilation and eyelash trimming and has remained symptom free...
- Lash ptosis caused by latanoprostRobert J Casson
Glaucoma and Oculoplastic Unit, Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, University of Adelaide, North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 139:932-3. 2005..To report a case of lash ptosis caused by latanoprost...
- Photoepilation: a growing trend in laser-assisted cosmetic dermatologyKeyvan Nouri
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Cosmet Dermatol 7:61-7. 2008..Conditions such as hirsutism or hypertrichosis, procedures that involve grafted donor sites, transsexual transformations from male to female, and genetics ..
- Pili bigemini and terminal hair growth induced by low-fluence alexandrite laser hair removalIqbal A Bukhari
Dermatology Department, King Faisal University, College of Medicine, Alkhobar, Saudi Arabia
J Cutan Med Surg 10:96-8. 2006..Different types of lasers are used in the removal of undesirable hair by targeting the hair follicles, with the melanin pigment acting as the chromophore, and through the mechanism of selective photothermolysis...
- [Hypertrichosis]R M Trueb
Dermatologische Klinik, Universitatsspital Zurich, Gloriastrasse 31, 8091 Zurich
Hautarzt 59:325-37; quiz 338. 2008b>Hypertrichosis denotes growth of hair on any part of the body in excess of the amount usually present in persons of the same age, race, and sex, excluding androgen-dependent hair growth...
- Evaluation of safety and efficacy of variable pulsed light in the treatment of unwanted hair in 77 volunteersH Nahavandi
Department of Dermatology, Division of Special and Environmental Dermatology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:311-5. 2008..The present uncontrolled prospective pilot study evaluated safety and long-term efficacy of variable pulsed light (VPL) on hair removal in the face for medical and/or cosmetic indications...
- Incidence and severity of iris pigmentation on latanoprost-treated glaucoma eyesS Y Chou
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eye (Lond) 19:784-7. 2005..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the incidence and severity of iridial pigmentation under latanoprost topical use on brown eyes in Taiwan...
- Efficacy of long- and short pulse alexandrite lasers compared with an intense pulsed light source for epilation: a study on 532 sites in 389 patientsK B Marayiannis
Laserlight Clinic for Laser and Plastic Surgery, 13 P Stavrou Str, GR 11524 Athens, Greece
J Cosmet Laser Ther 5:140-5. 2003..The present study retrospectively examined the outcome of these systems from the viewpoint of efficacy and side effects...
- Skin manifestations in a case of trisomy 16 mosaicismL B Ousager
Department of Clinical Genetics, KKA, Odense University Hospital, Sdr Boulevard 29, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 154:172-6. 2006We present a 48-year-old man with unilateral dermatological manifestations including hypertrichosis, telangiectasia, hyperkeratosis and hyperpigmentation. Additional findings included skeletal abnormalities and left-sided hearing loss...
- Topical prostaglandin F(2alpha) analog induced poliosisCelia S Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Drive, Bedford Park, Adelaide, SA 5042, Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 137:965-6. 2004..To report poliosis as a side effect associated with topical prostaglandin F(2alpha) (PGF(2alpha)) analogs...
- Clinical comparison of four hair removal lasers and light sourcesSnehal P Amin
Skin Laser and Surgery Specialists of NY and NJ, and the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10022, USA
J Cosmet Laser Ther 8:65-8. 2006..There are few clinical studies directly comparing the efficacy of multiple hair removal systems in the same individual. This study evaluates the efficacy of four highly popular systems for laser hair removal...
- The phenotypic overlap of syndromes associated with hereditary gingival fibromatosis: follow-up of a family for five yearsM Cenk Haytac
Department of Periodontology, Cukurova University Faculty of Dentistry, Adana, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:521-7. 2007..with HGF and features of 3 previously described syndromes: Jones syndrome, Zimmerman-Laband syndrome, and HGF-hypertrichosis syndrome...
- Acquired trichomegaly in uveitisAtilla Bayer
Department of Ophthalmology, GATA Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Can J Ophthalmol 42:101-6. 2007..Based on our clinical observations, we examined the relation between trichomegaly and uveitis...
- Paradoxical effects of hair removal systems: a reviewMargarita S Lolis
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Cosmet Dermatol 5:274-6. 2006..This contradictory hypertrichosis is known as the paradoxical effect...
- Prostaglandin-induced hair growthMurray A Johnstone
Glaucoma Consultants Northwest, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 47:S185-202. 2002..Correlation with laboratory studies suggests that initiation and completion of latanoprost hair growth effects occur very early in anagen and the likely target is the dermal papilla...
- Interferon alpha and hypertrichosis of eyelashesBunyamin Dikici
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:448-9. 2002
- Pneumatic skin flattening (PSF): a novel technology for marked pain reduction in hair removal with high energy density lasers and IPLsGary Lask
UCLA Medical School, Los Angeles, CA, USA, and LaseOhr Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel
J Cosmet Laser Ther 8:76-81. 2006..There is an interest in a technology which would significantly reduce acute pain and post-treatment erythema, without the necessity of lowering the energy density or speed of treatments...
- Influence of prostaglandin F2alpha and its analogues on hair regrowth and follicular melanogenesis in a murine modelS Sasaki
Department of Dermatology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Iida Nishi, Yamagata, Japan
Exp Dermatol 14:323-8. 2005..However, they have been reported to have side effects, including hypertrichosis and hyperpigmentation of the eyelashes and periocular skin, and occasionally poliosis...
- [Drug-induced dermatological pathology in renal transplantation patients]Tatiana Taranu
Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi, Facultatea de Medicina Dentara, Spitalul Universitar C F Iaşi, Clinica Dermatologica
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 109:36-9. 2005..5%), oral candidiasis in 6 cases (10.7%), vascular fragility in 5 cases (8.9%), hypertrichosis in 5 cases (8.9%), itching in 3 cases (5.3%), facial erythema in 3 cases (5...
- Segmental odontomaxillary dysplasia. Report of two cases and review of the literatureInes Velez
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
Todays FDA 14:20-1. 2002..The purpose of this article is to describe two cases of segmental odontomaillary dysplasia and summarize the clinical and radiographic findings if the entity after a thorough review of the English literature...
- Comparative evaluation of different hair removal lasers in skin types IV, V, and VIIbrahim Galadari
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Int J Dermatol 42:68-70. 2003..Improved clinical results are made possible by the high specificity and selectivity of the laser systems to pigmented hair because of the use of an appropriate wavelength with the proper pulse and duration...
- HirsutismA Mofid
Department of Internal Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Sina Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Int J Clin Pract 62:433-43. 2008..The current review discusses definition, pathogenesis, differential diagnosis, diagnostic strategies, management, guidelines and the authors' recommendations about hirsutism...
- Diffuse hypertrichosis in the course of hepatitis C treatment by IFN-alpha and ribavirinLaurent Misery
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Brest, France
J Interferon Cytokine Res 22:881-2. 2002..After 6 months, the patient noted a diffuse hair growth, whereas he was beardless before treatment. This hypertrichosis was treated by laser therapy. No hypertrichosis is known in patients with hemophilia or viral hepatitis...
- [Current treatment of hypertrichosis]C Kunte
, , Frauenlobstrasse 9-11,
Hautarzt 52:993-7. 2001Facial hypertrichosis and hirsutism may cause severe cosmetic and psychologic problems. In the following, new developments in the treatment of hypertrichosis will be presented...
- Preferred methods of excess hair removal in pediatric patients with lung transplantationEmily J Fisher
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Dermatology, Washington University School of Medicine, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:320-3. 2006b>Hypertrichosis is common among recipients of lung transplantation taking cyclosporine and it poses a special psychosocial problem in children. Children and parents frequently inquire about methods of hair removal.
- Depilation in a 6-month-Old with hypertrichosis: A case reportD S Wendelin
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 16:311-3. 1999b>Hypertrichosis in the pediatric age group can be troubling to both patients and parents. There is no well-established method for managing this problem in young children...
- Causes and management of hypertrichosisRalph M Trueb
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Dermatol 3:617-27. 2002b>Hypertrichosis is the term used for the growth of hair on any part of the body in excess of the amount usually present in persons of the same age, race, and sex, excluding androgen-induced hair growth...
- Further case of Cantú syndrome: exclusion of cryptic subtelomeric chromosome aberrationsHartmut Engels
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Med Genet 111:205-9. 2002Cantú syndrome consists of hypertrichosis, osteochondrodysplasia, and cardiomegaly, and has been reported in 18 patients to date. We report an infant with Cantú syndrome...
- What syndrome is this? Barber-Say syndromeDaniela Tenea
Department of Dermatology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, Republic of South Africa
Pediatr Dermatol 23:183-4. 2006
- Cloning of the breakpoints of a de novo inversion of chromosome 8, inv (8)(p11.2q23.1) in a patient with Ambras syndromeM Tadin-Strapps
Department ofDermatology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cytogenet Genome Res 107:68-76. 2004Ambras syndrome (AMS) is a unique form of universal congenital hypertrichosis. In patients with this syndrome, the whole body is covered with fine long hair, except for areas where normally no hair grows...
- Anterior cervical hypertrichosis and mental retardationBernard Thienpont
Center for Human Genetics, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Dysmorphol 15:189-90. 2006Anterior cervical hypertrichosis or hairy throat is a rare dysmorphic sign described in a total of 19 patients so far. The association with a number of additional features has been reported, including mental retardation...
- Mental retardation in a boy with anterior cervical hypertrichosisJ Román Corona-Rivera
Departamento de Fisiologia, Laboratorio de Genética Humana y Clínica de Asesoramiento Genético, Centro Universitario de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara, Sierra Mojada 950, SL, CP 44340 Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Am J Med Genet A 135:69-71. 2005Anterior cervical hypertrichosis (ACH) is a rare form of localized hypertrichosis with 15 previously reported cases. ACH has been considered to be a dominant phenotype, either X-linked or autosomal [OMIM 600457]...
- Growth hormone deficiency, situs inversus, hypertrichosis and brachydactylySelim Kurtoglu
Department of Pediatrics, Erciyes University, School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 16:795-8. 2003..inversus totalis, short stature, blue sclerae, facial dismorphism, brachydactyly, developmental delay and hypertrichosis. The described phenotype represents a new syndromic situs inversus with a characteristic phenotype...
- The H syndrome is caused by mutations in the nucleoside transporter hENT3Vered Molho-Pessach
Department of Dermatology, Hadassah, Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Am J Hum Genet 83:529-34. 2008..The H syndrome is a recently reported autosomal-recessive disorder characterized by cutaneous hyperpigmentation, hypertrichosis, hepatosplenomegaly, heart anomalies, hearing loss, hypogonadism, short stature, hallux valgus, and fixed ..
- Pigmented hypertrichotic dermatosis and insulin dependent diabetes: manifestations of a unique genetic disorder?Julie Prendiville
Division of Pediatric Dermatology, Department of Pediatrics, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada
Pediatr Dermatol 24:101-7. 2007..The pathogenesis is unknown. The presence of consanguinity in three of four families, and similar dysmorphic features in two boys, suggest a genetic disorder, possibly with autosomal recessive inheritance...
- Candidate loci for Zimmermann-Laband syndrome at 3p14.3Hyung Goo Kim
Molecular Neurogenetics Unit, Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Med Genet A 143:107-11. 2007A male with 46,XY,t(3;17)(p14.3;q24.3) presented with gingival hyperplasia, hypertrichosis, unusually large ears and marked hypertrophy of the nose, characteristic of the Zimmermann-Laband syndrome (ZLS)...
- Neuropsychologic side-effects of tacrolimus in pediatric renal transplantationMarkus J Kemper
Nephrology Unit, University Children s Hospital and Department of Nephrology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Transplant 17:130-4. 2003..In conclusion, tacrolimus had a beneficial effect on renal function and was well tolerated in the majority of pediatric patients. However, neuropsychologic and behavioral side-effects are important and maybe underrecognized in children...
- Trichomegaly of the eyelashes after treatment with erlotinib in non-small cell lung cancerJudith Elizabeth Carser
Department of Medical Oncology, Northern Ireland Cancer Centre, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Thorac Oncol 1:1040-1. 2006
- Trichomegaly of the eyelashes after lung cancer treatment with the epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor erlotinibFadi Braiteh
Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, Phase I Program, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3460-2. 2008
- Persisting corneal erosion under cetuximab (Erbitux) treatment (epidermal growth factor receptor antibody)Claudia G Foerster
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Erlangen Nuernberg, Erlangen, Germany
Cornea 27:612-4. 2008..To report persisting corneal erosion and trichomegaly as ocular side effects of cetuximab (Erbitux) treatment, a monoclonal antibody against the epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor...
- Acquired trichomegaly and symptomatic external ocular changes in patients receiving epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors: case reports and a review of literatureGrace Zhang
Department of Ophthalmology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Cornea 26:858-60. 2007..To report the external ocular changes in 2 patients receiving epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors...
- Trichomegaly induced by erlotinibRebecca Papadopoulos
Department of Ophthalmology, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Orbit 27:329-30. 2008..We present the case of a patient who developed excessive eyelash growth, called trichomegaly, a rare ocular side effect of this drug...
- Comparative tolerability of therapies for ulcerative colitisSandro Ardizzone
Department of Gastroenterology, L Sacco University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Drug Saf 25:561-82. 2002..hypertension, opportunistic infections, seizures, paresthesias, tremor, headache, gingival hyperplasia, hypertrichosis, and anaphylaxis with intravenous cyclosporin...
- Spinal dysraphism: trends in northern IndiaRaj Kumar
Department of Neurosurgery, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Pediatr Neurosurg 38:133-45. 2003..To evaluate the clinical profiles, image findings and surgical outcome of 155 cases of spinal dysraphism...
- X-chromosome inactivation: role in skin disease expressionRudolf Happle
Department of Dermatology, Philipp University of Marburg, Germany
Acta Paediatr Suppl 95:16-23. 2006..and limb defects) syndrome, and the chequerboard pattern seen in women heterozygous for X-linked congenital hypertrichosis. Exceptional cases of either severe or absent involvement in a woman heterozygous for an X-linked trait can be ..
- Oral cyclosporine in the treatment of inflammatory and noninflammatory dermatoses. A clinical and immunopathologic analysisA K Gupta
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor
Arch Dermatol 126:339-50. 1990..Clinical side effects were mild and transient and included dysesthesia, fatigue, hypertrichosis, nausea, and flushing...
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of 5% and 2% topical minoxidil solutions in the treatment of female pattern hair lossAnne W Lucky
Dermatology Research Associates Inc, Cincinnati, OH 45230, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:541-53. 2004..Results can be variable, and historic experience suggests that higher concentrations of topical minoxidil may enhance efficacy...
- Mitchell's influence on European studies of peripheral nerve injuries during World War IPeter J Koehler
Department of Neurology, Atrium Medical Centre, Heerlen, The Netherlands
J Hist Neurosci 13:326-35. 2004..Describe the influence of S. Weir Mitchell's (1829-1914) work, and in particular his ideas on causalgia, on European physicians who treated peripheral nerve injuries during World War I (WWI)...
- [Efficacy and safety of cyclosporine A in treatment of refractory nephrotic syndrome in children: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials]Li Zhi Chen
Department of Pediatrics, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 47:898-903. 2009..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of cyclosporine A(CsA) in the treatment of refractory nephrotic syndrome (RNS) in children...
- Porphyria cutanea tarda as the most common porphyriaVedrana Bulat
University Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Sestre Milosrdnice University Hospital, Vinogradska cesta 29, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 15:254-63. 2007..bullae, and milia in sun-exposed areas of the skin, sometimes periorbital mottled hyperpigmentation and hypertrichosis, sclerodermoid changes and ulceration...
- Abnormalities of GH secretion in a young girl with Floating-Harbor syndromeS Cannavo
Chair of Endocrinology, University of Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 25:58-64. 2002..Diffused hyperpigmentation and hypertrichosis with sporadic pubic terminal hairs, but neither clitoromegaly nor other signs of hyperandrogenism and/or ..
- Mutations in SLC29A3, encoding an equilibrative nucleoside transporter ENT3, cause a familial histiocytosis syndrome (Faisalabad histiocytosis) and familial Rosai-Dorfman diseaseNeil V Morgan
Wellchild Paediatric Research Centre and Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, University of Birmingham College of Medical and Dental Sciences, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 6:e1000833. 2010..overlapping phenotypes: (a) H syndrome (MIM 612391) that is characterised by cutaneous hyperpigmentation and hypertrichosis, hepatomegaly, heart anomalies, hearing loss, and hypogonadism; and (b) PHID (pigmented hypertrichosis with ..
- Descriptive epidemiology of Cornelia de Lange syndrome in EuropeIngeborg Barisic
Children s University Hospital Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Am J Med Genet A 146:51-9. 2008..congenital anomaly/mental retardation syndrome consisting of characteristic dysmorphic features, microcephaly, hypertrichosis, upper limb defects, growth retardation, developmental delay, and a variety of associated malformations...
- [From teratology to mythology: ancient legends]A Stahl
Hopital de la Timone, Marseille, France
Arch Pediatr 17:1716-24. 2010..of the legend of baboons may have multiple origins: firstly the existence of people suffering from congenital hypertrichosis, on the other hand, the influence of Egyptian mythology where the god Anubis has a dog's head...
- Fatal toxic epidermal necrolysis associated with minoxidilLamis R Karaoui
Pharmacy Department, Saint Michael s Medical Center, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:460-7. 2009..The most frequent adverse events associated with minoxidil include hypertrichosis and cardiovascular events related to its powerful antihypertensive effect, and less frequently, rashes, ..
- Porphyria cutanea tardaC Fritsch
Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 11:321-35. 1998..Dominant clinical symptoms are bullae, increased cutaneous vulnerability, hypertrichosis and elastosis...
- Hyperandrogenism in the adolescent femaleV Toscano
Dipartimento di Fisiopatologia Medica, Policlinico Umberto I, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Steroids 63:308-13. 1998..of adolescent hirsutism, we followed 70 girls with precocious pubarche (PP) with or without prepubertal hypertrichosis (PH) until 3 years (mean age 14.8 +/- 0.9 years) after menarche...
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 1993..The work should therefore lay the foundations for more rational therapies for myocardial diseases involving metabolic compromise...
- Electrical Control of Insulin SecretionColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this project will provide mechanistic information that may impact the development of new treatment approaches to both diabetes and hyperinsulinemia. ..
- Metabolism-excitation coupling in the heartColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..The work will provide information that will ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac ischemia and arrhythmias. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..The work will provide information that will ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac ischemia and arrhythmias. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the proposed experiments will bring detailed insight to the structural and mechanistic basis of KATP channel function and the role of differential SUR isoforms in cardiac function. ..
- Rectification & Block of Ion Channel CurrentsColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2006..The work will provide information that will form the background to the development of rational therapies for cardiac arrhythmias, epilepsy and other disorders of cell excitability through modulation of Kir channel activity. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin G Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of the proposed experiments will bring detailed insight to the structural and mechanistic basis of KATP channel function and the role of differential SUR isoforms in cardiac function. ..
- RECTIFICATION AND BLOCK OF ION CHANNEL CURRENTSColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2000..The work will therefore provide information that may ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, epilepsy and other disorders of cell excitability. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2001..The work will provide information that will ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac ischemia and arrhythmias. ..
- Electrical Control of Insulin SecretionColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this project will provide mechanistic information that may impact the development of new treatment approaches to both diabetes and hyperinsulinemia. ..
- RECTIFICATION AND BLOCK OF ION CHANNEL CURRENTSColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 1999..The work will therefore provide information that may ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, epilepsy and other disorders of cell excitability. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2002
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 1991..The work should therefore lay the foundations for more rational therapies for myocardial diseases involving metabolic compromise...
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003
- Metabolism-excitation coupling in the heartColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2004
- Electrical Control of Insulin SecretionColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of this project will provide mechanistic information that may impact the development of new treatment approaches to both diabetes and hyperinsulinemia. ..
- RECTIFICATION AND BLOCK OF ION CHANNEL CURRENTSColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2001..The work will therefore provide information that may ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, epilepsy and other disorders of cell excitability. ..
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2000
- Rectification & Block of Ion Channel CurrentsColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..The work will provide information that will form the background to the development of rational therapies for cardiac arrhythmias, epilepsy and other disorders of cell excitability through modulation of Kir channel activity. ..
- Electrical Control of Insulin SecretionColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005
- SUR1 (ABCC8) AND ATRIAL KATP CHANNELSColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- SUR1 (ABCC8) AND ATRIAL KATP CHANNELSColin G Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RECTIFICATION AND BLOCK OF ION CHANNEL CURRENTSColin G Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ATP-SENSITIVE POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN THE HEARTColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 1999
- SUR1 (ABCC8) AND ATRIAL KATP CHANNELSColin G Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- RECTIFICATION AND BLOCK OF ION CHANNEL CURRENTSColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2002
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2002..The overall goal of this proposal is to understand the factors regulating the production of testosterone in women, particularly in their ovaries. ..
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Molecular Genetic Analysis of Congenital Diaphragmatic HerniaAnne Slavotinek; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Phase II Clinical Trial Assessing Efficacy and Safety of Oral Steroids vs. VincriBeth Drolet; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic analysis of congenital diaphragmatic herniaAnne Slavotinek; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Genetic Analysis of Congenital Diaphragmatic HerniaAnne Slavotinek; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Pediatric Endocrinology Research Training GrantRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Assessing Efficacy and Safety of Oral Steroids vs. VincriBeth Drolet; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pediatric Endocrinology Research Training GrantRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2001..The overall goal of this proposal is to understand the factors regulating the production of testosterone in women, particularly in their ovaries. ..
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1980..The hypothesis that LH is insensitive to modest decrements of plasma testosterone will be tested by acutely lowering plasma testosterone levels in normal volunteers with aminoglutethimide...
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2002..The overall goal of this proposal is to understand the factors regulating the production of testosterone in women, particularly in their ovaries. ..
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1991..Human sexual hairs and fibroblasts, rat vibrissae, and rat preputial glands will be studied using tissue and organ culture. Androgen metabolism and androgen receptor sites will be studied in these cultured PSA cells...
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2002
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1990..Human sexual hairs and fibroblasts, rat vibrissae, and rat preputial glands will be studied using tissue and organ culture. Androgen metabolism and androgen receptor sites will be studied in these cultured PSA cells...
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2003
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2004