Genomes and Genes
fibrocystic breast disease
Summary: A common and benign breast disease characterized by varying degree of fibrocystic changes in the breast tissue. There are three major patterns of morphological changes, including FIBROSIS, formation of CYSTS, and proliferation of glandular tissue (adenosis). The fibrocystic breast has a dense irregular lumpy bumpy consistency.
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Tamoxifen effects on treatment fibrocystic breast disease in womenSeyed R Mousavi
Shahid Beheshti Medical Sciences, Shohada Medical Center, Tehran 45672, Iran
Saudi Med J 27:565-6. 2006
- Prostate-specific antigen expression in a case of intracystic carcinoma of the breast: characterization of immunoreactive protein and literature surveysF Mannello
Istituto di Istologia ed Analisi di Laboratorio, Facolta di Scienze M F N, Università Studi, Urbino PS, Italy
Clin Chem 43:1448-54. 1997..Our data support the contention that PSA immunoreactivity in intracystic fluid of breast carcinoma is partly the result of secretory activity by the neoplastic cells and that the steroid receptors can also modulate its expression...
- Prostate specific antigen--a new constituent of breast cyst fluidE P Diamandis
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 38:259-64. 1996..These data suggest that PSA is a frequent component of breast cyst fluid. More studies are needed to establish the role of this serine protease in normal breast, gross breast cystic disease, and breast cancer...
- Measurement of prostate-specific antigen in detection of benign or malignant breast disease in womenJ Romppanen
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Br J Cancer 79:1583-7. 1999..Our results show that serum total PSA cannot be used to distinguish between healthy women and/or women with breast cancer or benign breast disease...
- Differential distribution of soluble and complexed forms of prostate-specific antigen in cyst fluids of women with gross cystic breast diseaseM Malatesta
Istituto di Istologia and Analisi di Laboratorio, , , Urbino, Italy
J Clin Lab Anal 15:81-6. 2001..Our results are consistent with the notion that a prolonged exposure of apocrine breast cells lining the Type I gross cysts to the proteolytic activity of PSA could be involved in the etiopathogenesis of GCBD...
- [Evaluation of the primary diagnosis with a CAD-system in mammography]A Malich
Institut für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena
Rofo 175:1225-31. 2003..To assess the capability of the computer assisted detection (CAD) system to classify calcifications that are histologically verified as malignant and benign or are proven benign by magnification and follow up mammography...
- [Interventional radiology in nonpalpable lesions of the breast]A Tardivon
Service de Radiologie, Institut Curie, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris Cedex 05
J Radiol 84:381-6. 2003..Clear information to the patients, efficient quality control and multidisciplinary approach are mandatory for the success of these percutaneous diagnostic procedures...
- Technetium-99m-sestamibi scintimammography to detect breast cancer in patients with paraffinomas or siliconomas after breast augmentationNan Jing Peng
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, and National Yang Ming University, School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 18:573-80. 2003..The accuracy of scintimammography did not seem to be affected by prior breast augmentation...
- In vivo real-time freehand palpation imagingTimothy J Hall
Department of Radiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 29:427-35. 2003..In addition, a comparison of the lesion area measured in B-mode vs. strain images, for a representative image from the sequence, appears to be a sensitive criterion for separating invasive ductal carcinoma from cyst and fibroadenoma...
- MR mammography in the pre-operative staging of breast cancer in patients with dense breast tissue: comparison with mammography and ultrasoundM Van Goethem
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Eur Radiol 14:809-16. 2004..5, 14, and 23%. The MR mammography is more accurate in assessing tumor extent and multifocality in patients with dense breasts, but benign changes may lead to false-positive examinations...
- Original report. Mucocele-like tumors of the breast: mammographic and sonographic appearancesKatrina Glazebrook
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St. S.W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:949-54. 2003..If a mucocele-like tumor is diagnosed at core needle biopsy, complete surgical excision is recommended, with careful evaluation of the entire specimen to exclude the presence of atypia or carcinoma...
- Technetium-99m sestamibi in the diagnosis of breast cancer. The Mayagüez Medical Center experienceJ Farías-Jimenez
General Surgery Department, Dr Ramón E Betances Hospital, Mayaguez Medical Center, Puerto Rico
Bol Asoc Med P R 93:9-11. 2001..5% and 100%, respectively). So, Scintimammography may be a complement for current diagnostic techniques for breast malignancy in our setting...
- Lobular carcinoma in situ diagnosed by core needle biopsy: when should it be excised?Lavinia P Middleton
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mod Pathol 16:120-9. 2003..Based on these findings, we recommend excisional biopsy of lobular carcinoma in situ, atypical lobular hyperplasia or lobular neoplasia only when it is associated with a synchronous mass lesion...
- Vacuum assisted stereotactic guided mammotome biopsies in the management of screen detected microcalcifications: experience of a large breast screening centreV Kumaroswamy
Department of Histopathology and Molecular Pathology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Leeds, UK
J Clin Pathol 61:766-9. 2008..To evaluate the usefulness of vacuum assisted stereotactic guided mammotome biopsy in the diagnostic management of screen detected calcifications and to rationalise its use versus diagnostic excision...
- MRI-guided diffuse optical spectroscopy of malignant and benign breast lesionsVasilis Ntziachristos
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6059, USA
Neoplasia 4:347-54. 2002..It is foreseen that the technique can play a major role in functional activation studies of brain and muscle as well...
- Cytological analysis and immunocytochemical expression of Ki67 and Bcl-2 in breast proliferative lesionsCecilia Midulla
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Anticancer Res 22:1341-5. 2002..Therefore, in our opinion, immunocytochemical Ki67 expression may be helpful in the differentiation of cytologically suspicious/indeterminate breast lesions...
- Automated breast ultrasound: lesion detection and BI-RADS classification--a pilot studyE Wenkel
Radiologisches Institut, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen
Rofo 180:804-8. 2008..Evaluation of an automated breast ultrasound system (ABUS) regarding the detection and classification of breast lesions according to BI-RADS...
- Adenosis tumor of the breast: cytological and radiological features of a case confirmed by histologyNadra El Aouni
Department of Medical Biology and Pathology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Diagn Cytopathol 36:496-8. 2008..A core needle biopsy performed to rule out a breast cancer revealed an adenosis tumor of the breast...
- [Preoperative wire localisation of breast lesions by tissue harmonic imaging (THI) sonography]E M Jung
Rontgeninstitut des Klinikums Passau
Rofo 174:1121-5. 2002..To obtain a fast and reliable preoperative wire localisation of occult lesions in dense breast tissue by tissue harmonic imaging (THI) sonography when localisation by mammography is not reliable enough...
- [Comparison of wire versus carbon localization of non-palpable breast lesions]C C Riedl
Universitatsklinik fur Radiodiagnostik, Universitat Wien
Rofo 174:1126-31. 2002..To compare the accuracy of wire and carbon localization in stereotactically localized open breast biopsy...
- Pathologic quiz case: a cystic breast mass. Cystic hypersecretory hyperplasia with cytologic atypiaXian-Feng Zhao
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:e389-90. 2003
- [Differential diagnosis of benign and malignant mammary lesions with special regard to the BI-RADS((R)) classification system in mammography]T Boehm
Departement Medizinische Radiologie, Institut für Diagnostische Radiologie, Universitatsspital Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland
Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch 42:191-200. 2002....
- [About mastopathy]Péter Göblyös
Uzsoki utcai Kórház Onkoradiológiai Központ Budapest Bogdánfy u 5 a 1117
Orv Hetil 148:2211-8. 2007..The most important tools are close observation, systematic care of patients by a team of professionals, possibly by the same persons, in the same institute. Further research, and more exact definitions are necessary...
- The diagnosis and management of diabetic mastopathyKatie Thorncroft
Department of Surgery, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Breast J 13:607-13. 2007..Detailed Pubmed and other medical data base searches were carried out and all publications were considered, irrespective of language and date, wherever possible...
- Mammary hamartoma: report of two cases including one in a male breast, and review of the literatureArchana Deshpande
Department of Pathology, Government Medical College, Shankarnagar, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 47:511-5. 2004..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case of mammary hamartoma occurring in a male...
- Benign breast disordersRichard J Santen
Department of Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA, USA
N Engl J Med 353:275-85. 2005
- Benign breast disease and the risk of breast cancerLynn C Hartmann
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 353:229-37. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Risk factors for breast cancer after the diagnosis of benign breast disease include the histologic classification of a benign breast lesion and a family history of breast cancer...
- Use of prior mammograms in the classification of benign and malignant massesCelia Varela
Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Department of Radiology, Geert Grooteplein 18, 6525 GA Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Radiol 56:248-55. 2005..The mean area under the ROC curve of the readers increased from 0.763 to 0.796. This difference in performance was statistically significant (P = 0.008)...
- Distribution and significance of nerve growth factor receptor (NGFR/p75NTR) in normal, benign and malignant breast tissueJorge S Reis-Filho
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Mod Pathol 19:307-19. 2006..Furthermore, provisional data in a small number of basal-like breast carcinomas suggest that NGFR may identify a subgroup of basal-like breast carcinomas with good prognosis...
- [Values of color Doppler flow imaging and imaging changes of breast fascia and ligament in differential diagnosis of small breast neoplasms]Hui Zeng
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510060, P R China
Ai Zheng 25:339-42. 2006..This study was to explore the value of combined use of CDFI and imaging changes of breast fascia and ligament in differential diagnosis of small breast neoplasms...
- The use of Compton scattering to differentiate between classifications of normal and diseased breast tissueElaine A Ryan
School of Allied Health Sciences, City University, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6PA, UK
Phys Med Biol 50:3337-48. 2005..The fibrotic nature of tissue that has undergone FCC gives the highest measure of all tissue types...
- [A comparative analysis of effectiveness of surgical treatment of fibroadenomas in young girls]B A Mizaushev
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 163:35-9. 2004....
- An uncommon case of diabetic mastopathy in type II non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitusKeiichi Sotome
Department of Surgery, Fussa Hospital, Fussa City, Tokyo, Japan
Breast Cancer 13:205-9. 2006..These lymphocytes were composed predominantly of B-cells. Five months after surgical biopsy, a nodular formation approximately 4 cm in diameter recurred adjacent to the resected end of the biopsy...
- A case of mucinous spherulosis of the breast diagnosed retrospectively in FNA materialJuan B Laforga
Servicio de Anatomia Patologica, Hospital Marina Alta, Ptda Plana Est, Denia Alicante, Spain
Diagn Cytopathol 34:626-30. 2006..We draw attention to the importance of recognizing these features because they can easily pose problems either by being overlooked or overdiagnosed as mucinous carcinoma. Differential diagnosis is briefly discussed...
- A review of breast ultrasoundChandra M Sehgal
Silverstein, Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 11:113-23. 2006..In the future, ultrasound will play a greater role in differentiating benign from malignant masses and in the diagnosis of breast cancer...
- [Practical aspects of breast ultrasound]K J Biedermann
Kantonales Frauenspital Fontana, Chur
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:707-11. 2004..That's why ultrasound must be combined with clinical findings and other imaging like mammogaphy and MRI to find a reliable diagnosis. A histological work up is indicated if not all the methods show benign findings...
- Focal fibrosis of the breast diagnosed by a sonographically guided core biopsy of nonpalpable lesions: imaging findings and clinical relevanceJai Kyung You
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon-dong, Seodaemun-ku, Seoul 120-752, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 24:1377-84. 2005..Most of the lesions were categorized as probably benign (category 3) or having a low suggestion of malignancy (category 4A). Focal fibrosis diagnosed at core biopsy can be managed with a 6-month follow-up protocol...
- [Diagnostic immunohistochemistry of breast epithelial lesions]André J Balaton
Centre de Pathologie, 20 avenue de la Gare, 91570 Bièvres
Ann Pathol 23:570-81. 2003....
- Computer aided classification system for breast ultrasound based on Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS)Wei Chih Shen
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Chung Cheng University, Chiayi, Taiwan, R O C
Ultrasound Med Biol 33:1688-98. 2007..To classify the mass into BI-RADS assessment categories by the CAC system is feasible. Moreover, the proposed CAC system is flexible because it can be used to diagnose the cases acquired from different ultrasound systems...
- Ultrasound-guided optical tomographic imaging of malignant and benign breast lesions: initial clinical results of 19 casesQuing Zhu
Bioengineering Program, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 2157, USA
Neoplasia 5:379-88. 2003..Furthermore, the small invasive cancers are well localized and have wavelength-dependent appearance in optical absorption maps, whereas the benign lesions appear diffused and relatively wavelength-independent...
- Diagnostic utility of p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) as a marker of breast myoepithelial cellsNikolay K Popnikolov
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19146, USA
Mod Pathol 18:1535-41. 2005..Our data suggest a role of neurotrophins in the development of fibroepithelial breast tumors and some of the breast carcinomas...
- The gray zone in breast fine needle aspiration cytology. How to report on it?Sevgiye Kacar Ozkara
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kocaeli, Izmit, Kocaeli, Turkey
Acta Cytol 46:513-8. 2002..To study the "gray zone" in breast fine needle aspiration cytology in which an unequivocal diagnosis cannot be reached with fine needle aspiration cytology findings...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of sclerosing adenosis of the breastE Y Cho
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon-dong, Kangnam-gu, Seoul 135-710, Korea
Acta Cytol 45:353-9. 2001..Awareness of the presence of scattered individual epithelial cells in cytologic smears of sclerosing adenosis can help prevent a misdiagnosis of malignancy...
- Diagnostic value of 99mTc MIBI scintimammography in patients with breast lesionsA Yildiz
Akdeniz University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Rev Esp Med Nucl 20:276-81. 2001..We concluded that 99mTc-MIBI scintimammography could be a valuable method in the differentiation of malignant breast neoplasm larger than 1 cm size from benign ones, especially when the uptake pattern was considered...
- [Ultrasound mammography]K J Biedermann
Kantonales Frauenspital Fontana, Chur
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:767-72. 2001..Therefore the diagnosis has to be evaluated by combining clinical and imaging analysis but final diagnosis remains for histological examination...
- Improved reporting methods for atypia and atypical ductal hyperplasia in breast core needle biopsy specimens. Potential for interlaboratory comparisonsA A Renshaw
Dept of Pathology, Baptist Hospital of Miami, 8900 N Kendall Dr, Miami, FL 33176, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 116:87-91. 2001..This method of reporting atypia may allow interlaboratory comparisons with less dependence on the characteristics of the patient population...
- Accuracy of sonographically guided 14-gauge core-needle biopsy: results of 715 consecutive breast biopsies with at least two-year follow-up of benign lesionsPavel Crystal
Department of Radiology, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O B 151, Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
J Clin Ultrasound 33:47-52. 2005..The objective of this study was to examine the diagnostic accuracy of sonographically guided 14-gauge core-needle biopsy (CNB)...
- Bracketing wires for preoperative breast needle localizationL Liberman
Department of Radiology, Breast Imaging Section, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 177:565-72. 2001..Bracketing wires may assist the surgeon in achieving complete excision of calcifications, but bracketing wires do not ensure clear histologic margins of resection...
- Cytologic differential diagnosis of papillary pattern in breast aspirates: correlation with histologyR Nayar
Division of Cytopathology and the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago IL, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 5:34-42. 2001..Ann Diagn Pathol 5:34-42, 2001...
- Altered coagulability: an aid to selective breast biopsyC R Spillert
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103 2757
J Natl Med Assoc 85:273-7. 1993..The amount of tissue factor release is contingent on prior activation of the monocyte (the only blood cell that generates tissue factor) in vivo...
- Automated image morphometry of lobular breast carcinomaLogasundaram Rajesh
Department of Pathology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 24:81-4. 2002..To analyze the role of automated image morphometry (AIM) in distinguishing infiltrating lobular carcinoma (ILC) of the breast from benign, borderline and infiltrating ductal carcinoma (IDC)...
- Benign breast diseaseDouglas J Marchant
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 29:1-20. 2002..For most patients with breast symptomatology, the goal is relief of symptoms and resolution of the problem. To accomplish this requires a contemporary knowledgebase combined with adequate time spent with the patient...
- Breast lumps in the adolescent femalePaige Johnson
Department of Medical Breast Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 16:43, 47-8. 2002
- MR-Guided vacuum biopsy of 206 contrast-enhancing breast lesionsC Perlet
, , , Germany
Rofo 174:88-95. 2002..All other benign or malignant diagnoses proved to be correct. CONCLUSION: MR-guided VB allows reliable histological work-up of contrast-enhancing small lesions which are not visible by any other modality...
- [MRI of the breast. Techniques and current values]R Gilles
Département d Imagerie Médicale, Polyclinique Bordeaux Nord Aquitaine, 15 33, rue Claude Boucher, 33300 Bordeaux, France
Cancer Radiother 7:115s-119s. 2003..Clinical indication are the diagnosis of local relapses, the evaluation of pre-operative chemotherapy, the diagnosis of an isolated axillary lymphadenopathy, pre-operative evaluation of breast cancer and follow up of breast prothesis...
- [Effects of stereotaxic puncture biopsy on breast diagnosis in a general hospital]N Reutter
Rontgenpraxis 54:26-34. 2001..An increasing acceptance by the gynecologists doing open biopsies could lead to a further decrease of unnecessary operations. The effect by direct histologic feedback improves the quality of mammographic diagnostic...
- Electrolytes and trace elements in human breast cyst fluidAli Riza Sisman
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 128:18-30. 2009..615, p = 0.014, respectively). We can conclude that the trace elements content of BCF, in addition to electrolytes, could be useful in classifying the breast cyst. Future studies in larger series are needed to confirm these data...
- Breast disease in children and adolescents in eastern Nigeria--a five-year studyB C Ozumba
Department of Radiation Medicine, Provost, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu, Nigeria
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22:169-72. 2009..1) To define the spectrum of breast diseases in the children and adolescents in Eastern Nigeria. (2) To provide where possible, an international comparison of statistical variations of both benign and malignant lesions in these age groups...
- Prostatic acid phosphatase in breast cyst fluidHakan Erbas
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Trakya, Edirne, Turkey
Malays J Pathol 29:95-9. 2007..The presence of PAP in BCF may suggest its possible role in the development of breast cancer from cystic breast diseases. A possible role of PAP on TGF-beta activation needs further investigation...
- Issues of regret in women with contralateral prophylactic mastectomiesL L Montgomery
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 6:546-52. 1999..We have developed a National Prophylactic Mastectomy Registry comprised of a volunteer population of 817 women from 43 states who have undergone prophylactic (unilateral or bilateral) mastectomy...
- Melatonin and estrogen in breast cyst fluidsJames B Burch
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Center for Colon Cancer Research, WJB Dorn Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 103:331-41. 2007..Melatonin and estrogen in BCF independently predicted growth inhibition and stimulation, respectively. Biological monitoring of BCF may help identify women with GCBD at greatest risk for breast cancer development...
- Metabolic control through L calcium channel, PKC and opioid receptors modulation by an association of naloxone and calcium saltsP Minoia
Department of Animal Production Physiology Reproduction Surgery, University of Bari, Italy
Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord 1:131-7. 2001....
- Relationship between epidermal growth factor and dehydroepiandrosterone and its sulphate in breast cyst fluidL C Lai
Department of Chemical Pathology, St Mary s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Br J Cancer 60:320-3. 1989..A positive correlation was also obtained between DHA and DHAS concentrations which supports the view that DHA in cyst fluid may be derived from the metabolism of DHAS in the breast cyst wall...
- Serum prolactin and growth hormone determined by radioimmunoassay and a two-site immunoradiometric assay: comparison with the Nb2 cell bioassayD P Rose
Division of Nutrition and Endocrinology, Naylor Dana Institute for Disease Prevention, Valhalla, New York
Horm Metab Res 20:49-53. 1988..High BA, but normal RIA results, giving mean ratios of 2.4 +/- 1.1 and 3.6 +/- 3.0 respectively, suggest the presence of a further variant with high bioactivity not detected by RIA in these two clinical situations...
- Nasal seromucinous hamartoma (microglandular adenosis of the nose): a morphological and molecular study of five casesAndrea Ambrosini-Spaltro
Sezione di Anatomia Istologia e Citologia Patologica Marcello Malpighi, Dipartimento di Oncologia ed Ematologia, Universita di Bologna, Ospedale Bellaria, Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 457:727-34. 2010..It is concluded that nasal seromucinous hamartomas are benign glandular proliferations that may resemble microglandular adenosis of the breast. Their distinction from benign and malignant mimics is discussed...
- Profile of a menopause clinic in an urban population in MalaysiaP Damodaran
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur 59100, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 41:431-5. 2000..There were 2 cases of intraductal carcinoma diagnosed on routine mammography, with 8 cases of fibrocystic breast disease and 7 cases of suspicious breast lumps...
- Immunohistochemical expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) in invasive breast carcinomaSuada Kuskunovic
Institute of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosn J Basic Med Sci 9:125-30. 2009..with invasive ductal carcinoma, 10 with invasive lobular carcinoma, and 10 specimens from patients with fibrocystic breast disease. TIMP-1 protein was immunodetected in the carcinoma cells, fibroblasts and inflammatory cells of the ..
- Germline mutations in PTEN and SDHC in a woman with epithelial thyroid cancer and carotid paragangliomaKevin M Zbuk
Genomic Medicine Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 4:608-12. 2007..There was no family history of malignancy. Past medical history includes uterine leiomyoma and fibrocystic breast disease. Physical examination revealed macrocephaly and papillomatous papules.
- Young-aged woman with invasive ductal carcinoma arising in atypical microglandular adenosis: a case reportYi Hsuan Lee
Department of Pathology, Chia Yi Christian Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan
Pathol Int 60:685-9. 2010..This report is of practical interest because the diagnosis of AMGA and MGACA had already been made via needle biopsy...
- Concomitant administration of simvastatin and danazol associated with fatal rhabdomyolysisIvan Stankovic
Department of Cardiology, Clinical Hospital Centre Zemun, Belgrade, Serbia
Clin Ther 32:909-14. 2010..Danazol is a steroid analogue approved for the treatment of endometriosis, fibrocystic breast disease, and hereditary angioedema...
- Molecular mediators of tumor angiogenesis: enhanced expression and activation of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor KDR in primary breast cancerA Kranz
Department of Internal Medicine II, Ulm University Medical Center, Germany
Int J Cancer 84:293-8. 1999..We investigated a total of 13 mammary carcinomas, 3 fibroadenomas, 5 specimens with fibrocystic breast disease as well as normal (adjacent to malignant) breast tissue using immunohistochemistry and Western blot ..
- Unilateral breast enlargement 5 years after reduction mammaplastyPetra Pülzl
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Innsbruck, Anichstrasse, 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Aesthetic Plast Surg 29:404-6. 2005..Histologic examination confirmed the diagnosis of a fibrocystic breast disease in both breasts...
- Recent mammography use among African-American womenY Cozier
Slone Epidemiology Unit, Boston University School of Medicine, Brookline, Massachusetts 02446, USA
Ethn Dis 11:188-91. 2001..We assessed recent mammography use in a large national study, the Black Women's Health Study...
- Contribution of thyroid gland ultrasound for screening of patients with suspected subclinical thyroid gland disordersM Tajtakova
Ist Dpt of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Safarikiensis University, Kosice, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 100:196-9. 1999..contractility, increased diastolic pressure, hypercholesterolemia, menstrual abnormalities, infertility, fibrocystic breast disease, anxiety, insomnia, tachycardia, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and osteoporosis...
- Facial hirsutism following danazol therapyVijay Zawar
Skin Disease Centre, Maharashtra, India
Cutis 74:301-3. 2004..She had been treated for fibrocystic breast disease with danazol for 6 months...
- Differential diagnosis between sclerosing adenosis and tubular carcinoma of the breast under transmission and scanning electron microscopeGeorge E Baltatzis
Research Centre G Papanikolaou, St Savas Anticancer Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ultrastruct Pathol 35:226-9. 2011..The aim of this study is to prove that the ultrastructure results can give the correct diagnosis between tubular carcinoma and sclerosing adenosis...
- Cytomorphology of fibrocystic change, high-risk proliferative breast disease, and premalignant breast lesionsShahla Masood
University of Florida Health Science Center, Department of Pathology, Clinical Center, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:713-31, vi. 2005..This grading system, now recognized as the Masood Cytology Index, is commonly used as a surrogate end point biomarker in chemoprevention trials...
- Intraductal location of the sclerosing adenosis of the breastBulent Unal
Department of Surgical Oncology, Magee Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:251-2. 2009..Ductoscopy and development of ductoscopy guided biopsy techniques may be used as an early diagnostic method for the ductal breast lesions (Fig. 2, Ref. 10). Full Text (Free, PDF) www.bmj.sk...
- Regression of the fibrous disease of the breast in a non-diabetic woman after pregnancy and breastfeedingMaria Aparecida Q F Pereira
Service of Mastology, Hospital de Base do Distrito Federal, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 51:1539-43. 2007..Once a definitive diagnosis of this pathology is reached, it is recommended clinical, imaging studies and fine-needle aspiration biopsy follow-up of the patient, avoiding unnecessary surgical procedures...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor inhibits hippocampal synaptic reorganization in pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus ratsHai Ju Zhang
Department of Pediatrics, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 9:903-15. 2008..To examine modulations caused by cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors on altered microenvironments and overbalanced neurotransmitters in pilocarpine-induced epileptic status rats and to investigate possible mechanisms...
- Feline reproduction: problems and clinical challengesSusan Little
Bytown Cat Hospital, 422 McArthur Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1K 1G6
J Feline Med Surg 13:508-15. 2011..Efforts should focus on making information more readily available to the practitioner and expanding the knowledge base in this important area of feline medicine...
- Dietary and stored iron as predictors of breast cancer risk: A nested case-control study in ShanghaiAmber B Moore
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, 97239, USA
Int J Cancer 125:1110-7. 2009..63, 95% CI: 1.04-6.68, p = 0.02). In conclusion, this study finds significant associations between iron (stored and dietary) and fibrocystic disease and breast cancer...
- [Android obesity and breast cancer risk]Cynthia Petrovanu
Disciplina de Medicină de Ambulator, Facultatea de Medicina, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 111:872-6. 2007..Carmichael and Bates showed an inverse relationship between BMI and perimenopausal breast cancer...
- An Immunohistochemical study of HER-2 expression in feline mammary tumoursR Rasotto
Department of Public Health, Comparative Pathology and Veterinary Hygiene, University of Padua, Italy
J Comp Pathol 144:170-9. 2011..These results suggest that HER-2 may not play as significant role in mammary carcinogenesis and prognosis in cats as it does in human patients...
- Human gross cyst breast disease and cystic fluid: bio-molecular, morphological, and clinical studiesFerdinando Mannello
Istituto di Istologia ed Analisi di Laboratorio, Università Studi Carlo Bo, Urbino PU, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 97:115-29. 2006....
- Benign breast disease among first-degree relatives of young breast cancer patientsLisbeth Bertelsen
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Epidemiol 168:261-7. 2008..A genetic link between benign breast disease and breast cancer was indicated by our data but needs to be confirmed in future studies...
- [Expression of galectin-3 and Sambucus nigra agglutinin and its clinicopathological significance in benign and malignant lesions of breast]Gannong Chen
Department of General Surgery, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410011, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 35:584-9. 2010..To detect the expression of galectin-3 (gal-3) and Sambucus nigra agglutinin (SNA) and determine their clinicopathological significance in breast cancers and benign breast lesions...
- The sonographic findings and differing clinical implications of simple, complicated, and complex breast cystsJohn G Huff
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt Breast Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37204 4683, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 7:1101-4; quiz 1105. 2009..With current high-resolution ultrasound, specific observations can accurately characterize most cystic masses, thereby facilitating management decisions...
- Female-type fibrocystic disease with papillary hyperplasia in a male breastK E Robertson
Department of Pathology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
J Clin Pathol 63:88-9. 2010..It is much less commonly found in the male breast. A case is reported of a young man with female-type fibrocystic disease associated with papillary hyperplasia in the right breast...
- Mucinous breast lesions: diagnostic challengesP H Tan
Department of Pathology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Clin Pathol 61:11-9. 2008..In addition to these lesions with abundant extracellular mucin, there are also conditions that feature stromal mucinous or myxoid material, as well as rare entities that demonstrate both epithelial extracellular and stromal mucin...
- Fibrous mastopathy: clinical, imaging, and histopathologic findings of 31 casesMaria Aparecida de Queiroz Freitas Pereira
Mastology Unit, Hospital de Base do Distrito Federal, Brazil
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 36:326-35. 2010....
- A novel myoepithelial/progenitor cell marker in the breast?Zdenek Kolar
Virchows Arch 450:607-9. 2007
- [Diabetic mastopathy. Features in four patients]David Martinez-Ramos
Servicio de Cirugia General y del Aparato Digestivo, Hospital General, Castellon, Espana
Cir Esp 81:224-6. 2007..The clinical, radiological and pathological features of four patients with diabetic mastopathy are presented...
- Evaluation of spectral selected press sequence in breast lesion characterizationHong Lu
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tianjin Cancer Hospital, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 300060
Chin Med Sci J 21:265-9. 2006..Choline peak in vivo is a specific but not sensitive marker of malignancy. Technique factors and histopathological characterization of lesions influence the detection rate...
- Evaluation of tumor and trophoblastic marker concentration in breast cyst fluidS Luciani
II Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 586:218-29. 1990In our study we have examined 314 samples of cyst fluid taken from women suffering from fibrocystic breast disease (gross cystic disease)...
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA/hK3): a further player in the field of breast cancer diagnostics?F Mannello
Libera Università Studi, Urbino, Italy
Breast Cancer Res 3:238-43. 2001..Although several studies have suggested new biological function(s) for PSA in breast physiopathology, more studies are needed to enlist PSA unequivocally as an additional weapon in the anticancer armoury in breast cancer diagnostics...
- Percutaneous imaging-guided core breast biopsy: 5 years' experience in a community hospitalF R Margolin
Breast Health Center, Department of Radiology, California Pacific Medical Center, 3698 California St, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 177:559-64. 2001..Our program emphasized sonographic guidance and achieved high follow-up compliance...
- A comparison of the patterns of laminin expression in fibroadenoma, fibrocystic diseases, pre-invasive and invasive ductal breast carcinomaW Q Zheng
Department of Pathology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Pathology 33:303-6. 2001..The detection of BM disruption by immunohistochemical staining for laminin is technically easy and may be usefully applied for the differentiation of in situ and microinvasive carcinoma...
- Milk of calcium on mammographyFerris M Hall
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:762. 2002
- Ultrasound and MR imaging of diabetic mastopathyK T Wong
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Clin Radiol 57:730-5. 2002..To review the imaging findings of diabetic mastopathy, and document the colour flow ultrasound and MR imaging features in this benign condition...
- [Diabetic fibrous mastopathy: a case report]I Hadj Ali
, , Boulevard 9 avril, 1006 BS Tunis, Tunisie, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 63:235-9. 2002..The clinical and radiological features and the clinical course are illustrative. We discuss the different pathogenic theories put forward...
- Human Gut Microflora Profiling for Population StudiesJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- BREAST CANCER AND GENE POLYMORPHISMS IN CHINESE WOMENChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our ultimate goal is to provide information to identify women at high risk of breast cancer, and to aid in the formulation of prevention strategies for these women. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Endometrial CancerChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Efforts will also be devoted to generating risk indices through statistical modeling that integrate potential effects of genetic variants in the estrogen metabolism pathway and/or DNA repair pathways. ..
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF LUNG CANCERChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. Rosaceae fruits and Cruciferae vegetables), and food-derived nutrients (e.g. carotenoids, vitamin C, and vitamin E). ..
- ORAL CANCER: MOLECULAR PROFILES & CLINICAL OUTCOMESChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..As such, this proposal is highly responsive to the recommendations made by the NCI Head and Neck Cancer 1999 Priority Setting Workshop (http://www.nci.nih.gov/disease-initiative/headneckcancer). ..
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF LUNG CANCERChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. Rosaceae fruits and Cruciferae vegetables), and food-derived nutrients (e.g. carotenoids, vitamin C, and vitamin E). ..
- ORAL CANCER: MOLECULAR PROFILES & CLINICAL OUTCOMESChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..HPV plays an important etiologic role in some oropharyngeal cancers, we plan to determine and incorporate HPV genotypes in the analyses and interpretation of the study findings. ..
- ORAL CANCER: MOLECULAR PROFILES & CLINICAL OUTCOMESChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..HPV plays an important etiologic role in some oropharyngeal cancers, we plan to determine and incorporate HPV genotypes in the analyses and interpretation of the study findings. ..
- Fast Optical Imager for tumor detectionXavier Intes; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Flow-mediated dilation by ultrasound imagingChandra Sehgal; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Breast and Bone Density: Impact of Colonic EnvironmentJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..If equol-producer phenotype can predict differences in cumulative estrogen exposure / metabolism, it may serve as an early marker of breast cancer risk. ..
- UNDERSTANDING VARIABILITY IN COMMUNITY MAMMOGRAPHYJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work builds on our previous model development and is a natural extension in a timely and important clinical area. ..
- Quantitative Mechanical Imaging for Improving Breast Ultrasound DiagnosisTimothy J Hall; Fiscal Year: 2010..The resulting calibrated 3D strain images and images of elastic nonlinearity also show promise for directly imaging ductal carcinoma in situ, thereby potentially improving early detection of breast cancer. ..
- Validation of Sensorized Breast Models for High-Stakes Clinical Skills AssessmentCarla M Pugh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our results will help set clinical performance standards. ..
- Role of CCN6 (WISP3) in the progression and metastasis of breast cancerCelina Kleer; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies may form the basis of intervention and therapy in breast cancer, potentially preventing premalignant lesions from becoming malignant and metastasizing. ..
- Role of EZH2 in Breast CancerCelina Kleer; Fiscal Year: 2009..In summary, this proposal addresses the clinical utility and functional role of EZH2 in the regulation of breast cancer progression. ..
- Whole body tomography of fluorescent proteins in vivoVasilis Ntziachristos; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- DETERMINANTS OF TISSUE ESTRADIOL SENSITIVITYRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 2009..FTS, a novel mTOR inhibitor will be used in vitro to activate the stress kinase pathway and apoptosis. In vivo, FTS will be used to enhance estradiol induced apoptosis in nude mice. ..
- Accuracy of Breast Pathology and the Impact of Technology & Double ReadingDONALD LEE WEAVER; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also evaluate the impact of double reading and new technology that digitizes images of slides on overall accuracy. ..
- UCSF-KAISER WOMEN'S HEALTH INTERDISCIPLINARY SCHOLARSHIPDeborah Grady; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to create a model national resource for training successful investigators in women's health. ..
- Hormone Status Postmenopause: Colonic Bacterial EffectsJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study will provide novel data regarding the relationship of the equol-producer phenotype, a marker of colonic nticrofloral environment, to lifetime estrogen exposure. ..
- A New Biomarker for Ovarian Cancer DetectionEleftherios Diamandis; Fiscal Year: 2003..In this grant proposal, we describe further studies, which will examine in greater detail, the ability of a test for the amount of this protein in blood to correctly diagnose the presence of ovarian cancer. ..
- Serum IGFs--Effects of a Soy Intervention in HumansJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..It provides an ideal design to evaluate the effects of isoflavones on the IGF system and to explore relationships between IGFs and colonic epithelial cell proliferation in humans. ..
- HOST GENES AND COLONIC BACTERIA--PROBING FOR INHERITANCEJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..If we can establish that the equol-producer phenotype is an inherited trait, we can then work to identify the associated genotype and determine more effectively whether this is a biomarker of breast cancer risk. ..
- Hybrid optical-ultrasound scanner for cancer imagingVasilis Ntziachristos; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DNA Damage: Fruit & Vegetable Effects in a Feeding TrialJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2005..The existing intervention provides an ideal design in which to evaluate the relationships between biotransformation enzyme systems and DNA damage in humans. ..
- Human Kallikrein 4 (hK4): A New Prostatic Biomarker?Eleftherios Diamandis; Fiscal Year: 2003..If successful, our research will contribute to the development of new prostatic biomarkers and possibly, to better diagnosis which may lead to better clinical outcomes and reduced healthcare costs. ..
- Accuracy of Breast Pathology and the Impact of Technology & Double ReadingJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also evaluate the impact of double reading and new technology that digitizes images of slides on overall accuracy. ..
- Glucuronidation in Humans--Genotypes and PhenotypesJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2004..The randomized cross-over design will allow us to test efficiently for diet effects within individuals, as well as for gene-by-diet and sex-by-diet interactions. ..
- Hybrid Complete Protection Flourescence Molecular Tomography and X-ray CTRalph Weissleder; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize that the proposed developments will yield a practical and highly efficient system that can become a method of choice in many preclinical studies involving in-vivo imaging of entire animals. ..
- Near Infrared Diffused Light Imaging with Ultrasound GuidanceQuing Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Approximately 40 patients who will undergo chemotherapy treatments will be recruited to this pilot study from both institutions. ..
- ADVANCES IN OPTICS FOR BIOTECHNOLOGY, MEDICINEVasilis Ntziachristos; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 4: To promote interaction between the invited scientists and participating students, to support education and understanding of the multi-disciplinary field of bio-optics and associated applications and to enable collaborations. ..
- DETERMINANTS OF TISSUE ESTRADIOL SENSITIVITYRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Mammographic Density and Invasive Breast CancerEtta Pisano; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- DOXYCYCLINE FOR BLEEDING IN PROGESTIN ONLY CONTRACEPTORSDavid Archer; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, DOX treatment could become an important adjuvant for treatment of this and possibly other inflammatory disorders effecting reproductive tract tissues. ..
- Blood Flow in Small Animals by UltrasoundChandra Sehgal; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- UGT Polymorphisms and Hormonally-Mediated Biomarkers in Premenopausal WomenJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Resulting data will be used to guide future, larger, population-based studies of genetic differences in steroid hormone metabolism and may ultimately be used to identify women who are more susceptible to hormone-related conditions. ..
- EGCG and Omega-3 Fatty Acids Impact on Fatty Acid Synthase Activity in the ProstaJackilen Shannon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The elucidation of a single oncogenic pathway that may be regulated by diet may provide a new and exciting opportunity for targeted prevention therapy. ..
- Palpation ImagingTimothy Hall; Fiscal Year: 2007..The result of this effort will be a clinically useful tool for examining the mechanical response of human tissues, and a set of training tools to allow the skilled ultrasound clinician to efficiently learn to use these new tools. ..
- Doppler Vascularity/Sonography--Breast Cancer DiagnosisChandra Sehgal; Fiscal Year: 2005..An integrated approach in which one mode represents tissue property and the other its function will result in a systematic and comprehensive diagnosis of breast cancers. ..
- Near Infrared Diffused Light Imaging with Ultrasound GuidanceQuing Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..Approximately 40 patients who will undergo chemotherapy treatments will be recruited to this pilot study from both institutions. ..