Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign neoplasm derived from connective tissue, consisting chiefly of polyhedral and stellate cells that are loosely embedded in a soft mucoid matrix, thereby resembling primitive mesenchymal tissue. It occurs frequently intramuscularly where it may be mistaken for a sarcoma. It appears also in the jaws and the skin. (From Stedman, 25th ed)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- A large left atrial myxomaJagdish Butany
Department of Pathology, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Card Surg 19:547-51. 2004
- The challenge presented by right atrial myxomaEberhard Kuon
Department of Cardiology, Klinik Fraenkische Schweiz, Ebermannstadt, Germany
Herz 29:702-9. 2004Right atrial myxoma can be heralded by nonspecific constitutional symptoms-i. e., remittent or lasting fever; weight loss; chronic anemia and general arthralgia-and may escape timely diagnosis until severe complications develop: i. e...
- Massive right atrial myxoma presenting as syncope and exertional dyspnea: case reportOlga Azevedo
Cardiology Department, Centro Hospitalar do Alto Ave Unidade de Guimarães, Guimaraes, Portugal
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 8:23. 2010Primary heart neoplasms are rare occurring with an estimated incidence of 0.0017-0.19%. Myxoma is the most prevalent primary heart tumor. The right atrium is an unusual localization, occurring only in 15-20% of myxoma cases...
- A novel kind of tumor type-characteristic junction: plakophilin-2 as a major protein of adherens junctions in cardiac myxomataSteffen Rickelt
Helmholtz Group for Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Mod Pathol 23:1429-37. 2010..We propose to examine the marker value of Pkp2 in clinical diagnoses of cardiac myxomata and to develop Pkp2-targeted therapeutic reagents...
- Cardiac myxoma: its origin and tumor characteristicsJun Amano
Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 9:215-21. 2003Cardiac myxoma is most common among primary cardiac tumors, and its origin and tumor characteristics have been gradually elucidated by recent advances in molecular biology...
- Cardiac tumours in childrenOrhan Uzun
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park Cardiff, CF14 4XW, Wales, UK
Orphanet J Rare Dis 2:11. 2007..Surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy may prolong survival. The prognosis for malignant primary cardiac tumours is generally extremely poor...
- Multiple myxomas originating from anterior and posterior mitral leaflets in the left ventricle leading to LV outflow tract obstructionAli Vefa Ozcan
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Circ J 72:1709-11. 2008..The myxomas were successfully removed with the mitral leaflets via left atriotomy and mitral valve replacement. No embolic events occurred in the preoperative or postoperative period. In this article, we wanted to present...
- Sex distribution in cardiac myxomasDong Hi Anthony Yoon
Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Am J Cardiol 90:563-5. 2002
- Benign cardiac tumors and tumorlike conditionsDeepali Jain
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 14:215-30. 2010..This comprehensive and up-to-date review describes the key clinical, gross, and histologic findings for 16 distinct entities. It also provides differential diagnoses and key facts to differentiate between similar appearing tumors...
- Cardiac myxoma the great imitators: comprehensive histopathological and molecular approachIgor Gosev
Department of Cardiac Surgery University Hospital Centre Zagreb, Croatia Kišpatićeva 12, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Int J Cardiol 164:7-20. 2013..Majority of cardiac myxoma occur sporadically while a relatively small proportion of diagnosed cases develop as a part of Carney complex ..
- Surgical excision of cardiac myxomas: twenty years experience at a single institutionAndrea Garatti
Division of Cardiac Surgery and First Vascular Surgery Unit, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Policlinico San Donato Hospital, San Donato Milanese, and Faculty of Medicine, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 93:825-31. 2012..Primary cardiac tumors are quite uncommon and myxomas constitute the major proportion among these masses. The present study summarizes our 20-year clinical experience with surgical resection of intracardiac myxomas...
- Mandibular reconstruction using fresh frozen bone allograft after conservative enucleation of a mandibular odontogenic myxomaMassimo Albanese
Department of Surgery, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 23:831-5. 2012..radiographic, and histological findings about a case of a young woman affected by a mandibular odontogenic myxoma. Conservative tumor resection was followed by immediate reconstructive treatment using fresh-frozen human bone ..
- A rare case of conjunctival myxoma and a review of the literatureChing Long Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Ophthalmologica 222:136-9. 2008..To report on an 11-year-old boy with a painless slow-growing temporal bulbar conjunctival mass of his left eye...
- Odontogenic myxoma of the maxilla: a report of two pediatric casesBryan G Wachter
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153 5590, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:389-93. 2003..Nevertheless, myxoma is a very uncommon lesion of the midface, particularly in the pediatric population...
- Report of a conjunctival myxoma case and review of the literatureHakan Demirci
Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, 840 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:735-8. 2006
- Aggressive angiomyxoma: a second case of metastasis with patient's deathStella Blandamura
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Italy
Hum Pathol 34:1072-4. 2003..We document this case and report a similar one, found in the literature, of a postmenopausal woman with pulmonary and mediastinic metastases. These cases may expand the current concepts of potential behavior of aggressive angiomyxoma...
- Cardiac myxoma: a 13-year experience in echocardiographic diagnosisRicardo Oliveira
Servico de Cardiologia, Hospital de Santa Marta, Lisboa, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 29:1087-100. 2010..The authors review their thirteen years' experience on the echocardiographic diagnosis of this pathology...
- Biatrial myxoma and cerebral ischemia successfully treated with intravenous thrombolytic therapy and surgical resectionMorhaf Ibrahim
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, and Department of Neurology at the University of Texas Health Science Center Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 35:193-5. 2008..agent was used successfully--without massive intracranial bleeding--to treat acute stroke induced by atrial myxoma. Our patient, who had biatrial myxomas with a dual blood supply from the right coronary artery, presented with ..
- Cardiac myxomas: 24 years of experience in 49 patientsI M Keeling
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiac Surgery, Karl Franzens University Graz, Graz, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:971-7. 2002In this single-center study we reviewed our experience with a significant number of cardiac myxoma cases occurring over the past two decades.
- Heart-specific ablation of Prkar1a causes failure of heart development and myxomagenesisZhirong Yin
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Circulation 117:1414-22. 2008..Mouse models of this genetic defect have been unsatisfactory because homozygote null animals die early in development and heterozygotes do not exhibit a cardiac phenotype...
- Mutations of the gene encoding the protein kinase A type I-alpha regulatory subunit in patients with the Carney complexL S Kirschner
Unit on Genetics and Endocrinology, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 26:89-92. 2000..We conclude that germline mutations in PRKAR1A, an apparent tumour-suppressor gene, are responsible for the CNC phenotype in a subset of patients with this disease...
- Carney complex: pathology and molecular geneticsSosipatros A Boikos
Section on Endocrinology and Genetics, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Neuroendocrinology 83:189-99. 2006..CNC is the first human disease caused by mutations of one of the subunits of the PKA holoenzyme, a critical component of numerous cellular signaling systems. This has wide implications for cAMP involvement in endocrine tumorigenesis...
- Clinical presentation of left atrial cardiac myxoma. A series of 112 consecutive casesL Pinede
Department of Internal Medicine, Edouard Herriot Hospital, 69437 Lyons, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 80:159-72. 2001We analyzed a series of 112 consecutive cases of left atrial myxoma diagnosed in a single French hospital (72 women and 40 men; age range, 5-84 yr) over 40 years, from 1959 to 1998...
- Carney complex (CNC)Jerome Bertherat
Centre de Référence Maladies Rares de la Surrénale, Service d endocrinologie, Hopital Cochin, INSERM U 567, CNRS UMR 8104, Institut Cochin, Universite Rene Descartes Paris 5, Paris, 75014, France
Orphanet J Rare Dis 1:21. 2006..Bilateral adrenalectomy is the most common treatment for Cushing's syndrome due to PPNAD...
- Safe and effective intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke caused by left atrial myxomaChristian D Nagy
Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 18:398-402. 2009Atrial myxoma may be associated with syncope or sudden death attributed to left-sided cardiac outflow obstruction or embolization caused by tumor dislodgement or thrombus formation...
- A huge obstructive myxoma located in the right heart without causing any symptomMurat Yuce
Int J Cardiol 114:405-6. 2007Cardiac myxoma is unusual and mostly located in left atrium...
- Significance of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and thymidine phosphorylase in angiogenesis of human cardiac myxomaTianshu Zhang
Second Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi, Matsumoto, Japan
Circ J 67:54-60. 2003..and of thymidine phosphorylase (TP) correlates with the angiogenesis and clinicopathologic features in cardiac myxoma. Paraffin-embedded specimens of 17 resected cardiac myxomas were immunohistochemically stained for MCP-1, CC ..
- Epidemiological and pathological characteristics of cardiac tumors: a clinical study of 242 casesKun Yu
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Extracorporeal Circulation and Anatomic Pathology, Cardiovascular Institute and Fuwai Hospital, CAMS and PUMS, Beijing 100037, China
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:636-9. 2007..6% vs. 9.4%, P<0.01). The most common benign cardiac tumor was myxoma (86.8%). Mesenchymoma and angiosarcoma were the most common primary malignant cardiac tumors...
- The variations in the immunologic features and interleukin-6 levels for the surgical treatment of cardiac myxomasHiroki Yokomuro
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Toho University School of Medicine, 6 11 1 Omori Nishi, Tokyo 143 8541, Japan
Surg Today 37:750-3. 2007In this study, we propose the existence of a relationship between cardiac myxomas and the immunologic features or interleukin-6 (IL-6), while also considering the optimal treatment of cardiac myxoma, especially "familial myxoma."
- Unusual presentation of localized gingival enlargement associated with a slow-growing odontogenic myxomaJaume Miranda Rius
Departament d Odontostomatologia, Facultat d Odontologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Oral Sci 5:172-5. 2013..Tissue submitted for histopathological analysis rendered the diagnosis of odontogenic myxoma. After 12-month of follow-up, no evidence of recurrence was found...
- Cardiomyogenic differentiation in cardiac myxoma expressing lineage-specific transcription factorsHiroaki Kodama
Cardiovascular Center, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Pathol 161:381-9. 2002We investigated five cases of cardiac myxoma and one case of cardiac undifferentiated sarcoma by light and electron microscopy, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemical staining, and reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction for ..
- Giant left atrial myxoma: an unusual cause of acute pulmonary edemaRodolfo Citro
U O UTIC Cardiologia, San Luca Hospital, Vallo della Lucania, Italy
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 21:978.e1-3. 2008We report a case of a huge left atrial myxoma with an unusual clinical presentation characterized by acute pulmonary edema. The possible pathophysiologic mechanism has been discussed.
- Myxoma in the right ventricular outlow tractMaria Isabel Sá
Serviço de Cirurgia Cardio Torácica dos Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 26:377-81. 2007..cyanosis and presyncope during exercise related to intermittent obstruction of the right outflow tract by a myxoma of the right ventricle attached to the membranous interventricular septum by its pedicle...
- Central nervous system manifestations of cardiac myxomaVivien H Lee
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Arch Neurol 64:1115-20. 2007Neurologic complications can be the initial manifestation of atrial myxoma. Prompt diagnosis is of paramount significance to prevent recurrent complications.
- Expression of basic fibroblast growth factor and its receptor-1 in cardiac myxomaH Fujisawa
Second Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 43:589-94. 2002To clarify the significance of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) in angiogenesis or proliferative activity in cardiac myxoma, the expression of bFGF and its receptor (FGFR-1) were immunohistochemically examined.
- Radiographic examination of 41 cases of odontogenic myxomas on the basis of conventional radiographsJ Zhang
Department of Oral Radiology, West China College of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, China
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 36:160-7. 2007There are some different radiographic appearances of odontogenic myxoma that have not been reported in the published literature...
- Giant cardiac myxomaPeter Barlis
Department of Cardiology, Austin Hospital, P O Box 5555, Heidelberg, VIC 3084, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 16:389-91. 2007..pain and discuss a number of diagnostic challenges that were confronted up until a definitive diagnosis of cardiac myxoma was made...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the left atrium mimicking a left atrial myxomaAlessandro Mazzola
Department of Cardiac Surgery, G Mazzini Hospital, Teramo, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:224-6. 2006
- Inherited disposition to cardiac myxoma developmentDavid Wilkes
Greenberg Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:157-65. 2006..Ongoing investigations are exploring the intersection of R1alpha-dependent cell signalling with other gene products such as perinatal myosin, mutation of which can also cause cardiac myxomas...
- Multiple cardiac myxomas with pulmonary arterial obstruction and acute right heart failureKoichi Sughimoto
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiovascular Center of Sendai, 21 1 Honda chou, Izumi ku, Sendai 981 3107, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:530-3. 2004..Following the removal of the tumor, symptoms improved drastically. The postoperative course was uneventful...
- Cardiac myxoma cells exhibit embryonic endocardial stem cell featuresA Orlandi
Institute of Anatomic Pathology, Tor Vergata University of Rome, Italy
J Pathol 209:231-9. 2006The origin of myxoma, the most frequent tumour of the heart, remains uncertain...
- Production of endothelin-1 and big endothelin-1 by human cardiac myxoma cells--implications of the origin of myxomas--Hironosuke Sakamoto
Department of General Practice Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Showa machi, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Circ J 68:1230-2. 2004..Although the origin of cardiac myxomas is still controversial, the 2 main hypotheses are that the tumor cells originate either from multipotential mesenchymal cells or from endocardial neural tissue...
- Nerve sheath myxoma: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 57 morphologically distinctive, S-100 protein- and GFAP-positive, myxoid peripheral nerve sheath tumors with a predilection for the extremities and a high local recurrence rateJohn F Fetsch
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:1615-24. 2005This report describes the clinicopathologic findings in 57 cases of nerve sheath myxoma. Our study group included 34 males and 23 females, ranging from 8 to 72 years of age at the time of their first surgical procedure (mean, 36 years; ..
- Atypical vessels as an early sign of intracardiac myxoma?Hans Peter Dübel
Medical Clinic for Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmology, Charite Campus Mitte, University Medicine Berlin, Germany
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2:13. 2004We report on a woman with previously unknown left atrial myxoma, who underwent percutaneous coronary intervention...
- Mutation of perinatal myosin heavy chain associated with a Carney complex variantMark Veugelers
Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, Greenberg Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 351:460-9. 2004..To identify the cause of a Carney complex variant associated with distal arthrogryposis (the trismus-pseudocamptodactyly syndrome), we performed clinical and genetic studies...
- Left atrial myxoma presenting as acute inferior wall infarction--a case reportJ Butany
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Card Surg 21:479-80. 2006
- Primary corneal myxomaLouise Hillerup Hansen
Department of Ophthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:224-7. 2004To present the clinical and histopathological characteristics of a corneal myxoma.
- Odontogenic myxoma of the mandible: a case reportRohit Sharma
Department of Pathology, Pt B D Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 46:84-6. 2003A case of myxoma of mandible in a 23 years old female patient is described. The case was treated with enbloc resection and bone graft from iliac crest. No recurrence is reported after 4 years follow up.
- Vulvar soft tissue tumorsK A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Gynecology Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Gynecol Cancer 14:94-9. 2004..To report our incidence of soft tissue tumors at this site and to discuss various prognostic factors...
- Myxoma of the oral soft tissues: Report of a case and literature reviewApostolos Epivatianos
Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, University of Thessaloniki, Greece
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:317-20. 2007
- Odontogenic myxoma: a clinicopathologic study of 25 casesTie Jun Li
Department of Oral Pathology, School and Hospital of Stomatology, Peking University, 22 S Zhongguancun Ave, Haidian District, Beijing, PR China 100081
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1799-806. 2006Odontogenic myxoma is an uncommon tumor that has the potential for extensive destruction of the jaws.
- Myxoid tissue fragments in femoral embolectomy material: cardiac myxoma versus myxoid thrombus--a diagnostic dilemmaRiza Dogan
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Medical Faculty, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:105-6. 2007
- Oral focal mucinosis: report of 15 cases and review of the literatureMichael J Aldred
Dorevitch Pathology, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Pathology 35:393-6. 2003..To describe 15 cases of oral focal mucinosis (OFM) and compare these to previously reported cases...
- Soft tissue myxoma: report of an unusual case located on the gingivaVittoria Perrotti
Dental School, University of Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 33:76-8. 2006Soft tissue myxoma of the oral cavity is rare. Only three cases of myxoma of gingiva have been reported in the literature...
- Left atrial myxoma on FDG-PET/CTOlivier Gheysens
From the Departments of Nuclear Medicine, Rheumatology, Cardiology, and Radiology, University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Nucl Med 38:e421-2. 2013..echocardiography and contrast-enhanced MRI showed a left atrial pedunculated soft tissue mass suggestive for myxoma, with histological confirmation...
- Imaging diagnosis-synovial myxoma of lumbar vertebrae articular process jointWaka H Blair
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 52:309-12. 2011Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and histopathology were used to diagnose an articular process synovial myxoma in a dog...
- Eleven years' experience with Korean cardiac myxoma patients: focus on embolic complicationsSeung Jae Lee
Department of Neurology, Sejong General Hospital, Bucheon, Republic of Korea
Cerebrovasc Dis 33:471-9. 2012..This study is based on our clinical experience with cardiac myxomas over a period of 11 years at Sejong General Hospital. We focused on the embolic complications of patients with cardiac myxoma.
- Superficial acral fibromyxoma: a clinicopathological study of new 41 cases from the U.K.: should myxoma (NOS) and fibroma (NOS) continue as part of 21st-century reporting?R J Prescott
Department of Pathology, Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:1315-21. 2008..Superficial acral fibromyxoma (SAF) remains poorly recognized by general pathologists and dermatopathologists, partly attributable to its relatively uncommon occurrence and recent documentation...
- Fatal cerebral embolism in a young patient with an occult left atrial myxomaH P Bienfait
Department of Neurology, Medisch Centrum Haaglanden, locatie Westeinde Ziekenhuis, Lijnbaan 32, 2512 VA, The Hague, The Netherlands
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 103:37-8. 2001We report a young patient with a fatal cerebral embolism from an occult atrial myxoma. The patient died before echocardiography was performed and at autopsy the definite diagnosis was made...
- Emergency presentation of emboli to multiple sites from an atrial myxomaGordon Michael Nicholls
Emergency Department, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Emerg Med Australas 24:336-8. 2012..and fasciotomy could not save his left lower limb, and emergency cardiac surgery was required to excise an atrial myxoma. A brief narrative review of the literature is also presented, with this case being unusual in causing such ..
- Using the condylar prosthesis after resection of a large odontogenic myxoma tumor in the mandibleWillian Morais de Melo
Surgery and Integrated Clinic Department, UNESP, Araçatuba Dental School, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 23:e398-400. 2012..The authors report a case of a 20-year-old patient with an odontogenic myxoma tumor located in the left mandibular angle, ascending ramus, and mandibular symphysis...
- Pelvic excision of large aggressive angiomyxoma in a woman: irradiation for recurrent diseaseM Suleiman
Department of Radiooncology, Hospital of Sion, Sion, Switzerland
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:356-60. 2006..This is, to our knowledge, the second description of a therapeutic irradiation of a recurrent AAM. Radiation therapy is able to control a recurrent AAM for at least 3 years...
- Unidentified retained inferior vena cava myxoma detected by intra-operative trans-oesophageal echocardiographyH A Vohra
Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre, Southampton, UK
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:248-50. 2010We report a unilateral right atrial familial myxoma with a multicentric nature discovered during cardiac surgery...
- Carney complex, a familial multiple neoplasia and lentiginosis syndrome. Analysis of 11 kindreds and linkage to the short arm of chromosome 2C A Stratakis
Section on Pediatric Endocrinology, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 97:699-705. 1996..This region has exhibited cytogenetic aberrations in atrial myxomas associated with the complex, and has been characterized by microsatellite instability in human neoplasias...
- The role of tumor vascularisation in benign and malignant cardiovascular neoplasms: a comparison of cardiac myxoma and sarcomas of the pulmonary arteryAndreas Gaumann
Institut fur Pathologie, Klinikum der Universitat Regensburg, D 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Oncol Rep 20:309-18. 2008..Hypoxia appears to be the strongest inducer of neoangiogenesis in the sarcomas. The expression of receptor tyrosine kinases of the VEGF family provides a basis for an adjuvant therapy...
- The Fas-mediated apoptotic pathway in cardiac myxomaCheng Chung Liu
Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Surg Pathol 18:493-8. 2010Cardiac myxoma is the most common primary tumor of the heart. The existence of apoptosis in cardiac myxoma has been demonstrated...
- Genetic alterations of Carney complex are not present in sporadic cardiac myxomasFranz Fogt
Presbyterian Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Int J Mol Med 9:59-60. 2002..We conclude that sporadic cardiac myxomas are genetically not related to Carney complex and most likely do not represent an incomplete form of Carney complex...
- Mitral valve recurrence of a left atrial myxomaNavid Sadeghi
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Dr Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences TUMS, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:568-73. 2002Recurrence of intracardiac myxoma is unusual, and heart valves are extremely rare locations for this tumor to originate, either as the primary site or the site of recurrence...
- Novel strategies for recurrent cardiac myxomaKaushalendra Singh Rathore
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Southern Australia, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 85:2125-6. 2008..He had a complete neurologic recovery, but presented 2 years later with recurrence of a cardiac myxoma in his left ventricle and left atrium. This time, however, endoscopically assisted techniques were used...
- Proliferating cell nuclear antigen expression grossly over-estimates cellular proliferation in cardiac myxomasD E Roskell
University of Oxford Nuffield, Dept of Pathology and Bacteriology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Eur J Med Res 4:105-6. 1999..Routine microscopy suggests a low proliferation rate. The aim of this study was to investigate cellular proliferation, and to assess its contribution to tumour growth...
- Angiomyxolipoma (vascular myxolipoma) of subcutaneous tissueJuan C Tardio
Department of Pathology, Hospital El Escorial, Madrid, Spain
Am J Dermatopathol 26:222-4. 2004..This lesion requires differential diagnosis with other benign fat tissue tumors, especially myxoid spindle cell lipoma, superficial angiomyxoma, myxoid liposarcoma, and low-grade myxofibrosarcoma...
- Aggressive angiomyxoma mimicking inguinal hernia in a manTomonori Minagawa
Department of Urology, Azumino Red Cross Hospital, 5685 Toyoshina, Azumino, Nagano, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 14:365-8. 2009..The findings from previously reported cases and our case suggest that AAM should be considered in patients with an inguinal or scrotal swelling with a suspicious soft tissue tumor...
- F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging in left thigh intramuscular myxomaLinh Ho
PET Imaging Science Center, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Clin Nucl Med 34:224-5. 2009We report F-18 FDG PET-CT appearance of biopsy-proven intramuscular myxoma (IM) in a 69-year-old woman who presented with a left thigh mass...
- Surrounding muscle edema detected by MRI is valuable for diagnosis of intramuscular myxomaKazuto Nishimoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yamada Red Cross Hospital, Mie, Japan
Oncol Rep 11:143-8. 2004We recently experienced 4 cases of intramuscular myxoma and analyzed MRI findings, comparing them with histological ones...
- A case of odontogenic myxoma with unusual histological features mimicking a fibro-osseous processYi Ling Lin
Department of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Head Neck Pathol 4:253-6. 2010Odontogenic myxoma is a rare benign but locally aggressive odontogenic tumor...
- Giant myxoma causing right ventricular outflow tract obstructionFlora H F Tsang
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 17:242-4. 2011Atrial cardiac myxoma is the most common benign cardiac tumour. Atrial myxoma most commonly arises from the left atrium and, less frequently, from the right atrium or both ventricles...
- Management of cardiac myxoma during pregnancy: a case series and review of the literatureAnitha S John
Division of Cardiology, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, United States
Int J Cardiol 155:177-80. 2012..We present two cases of cardiac myxoma diagnosed during pregnancy and review the presentation and management strategies of previously reported cases...
- Familial cardiac myxoma: Carney's complexAsha Mahilmaran
Institute for Cardiac Treatment and Research, Southern Railway Hospital, Ayanavaram, Chennai 600023, India
Tex Heart Inst J 30:80-2. 2003..in a 12-year-old boy who had the characteristic features of multiple cutaneous tumors, pigmentation, and biatrial myxoma. His large right atrial myxoma almost occluded the tricuspid valve and presented a life-threatening emergency...
- The appearance of Mazabraud's syndrome on 18F-FDG PET/CTAmit Singnurkar
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1E2 Canada
Skeletal Radiol 36:1085-9. 2007..3 and 2.6. As such, this entity merits consideration when evaluating hypoattenuating intramuscular masses, particularly in the context of fibrous dysplasia...
- Orbital myxoma--an unusual cause of inferoorbital massS L Ting
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, 77, Seksyen 22, KTLD, Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce, 93150, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 65:224-6. 2010..To describe a case of isolated infraorbital mass which had been present for the past 9 years in a young woman. Despite the size, the mass was successfully excised in total...
- Multiple cerebral mycotic aneurysms due to left atrial myxoma: are there any pitfalls for the cardiac surgeon?Nikolaos G Baikoussis
Cardiac Surgery Department, University Hospital, Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina, Greece
Hellenic J Cardiol 52:466-8. 2011..atrial myxomas has been well documented, but the formation of multiple cerebral aneurysms resulting from atrial myxoma is a very rare neurological complication...
- Left atrial myxoma with papillary fibroelastoma-like featuresAbbas Agaimy
Institute of Pathology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 4:307-11. 2011Although rare, papillary fibroelastoma (PFE) of the heart valves and atrial myxoma represent the two most common cardiac tumors. Coexistence of these two lesions has been documented in rare case reports...
- Myxoma of the jaws. Report of three casesG Hernandez Vallejo
Departamento de Medicina y Cirugía Bucofacial, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Med Oral 6:106-13. 2001Odontogenic myxoma is a locally aggressive, uncommon benign tumour which arises from mesenchymal tissues normally present in developing teeth...
- An atypical left atrial myxoma causing intracavitary pressure gradient and typical diastolic transmitral flow of severe mitral stenosisJohn T Parissis
Int J Cardiol 102:165-7. 2005
- Cerebral embolism from left atrial myxoma leading to cerebral and retinal aneurysms: a case reportMartin Herbst
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:666-9. 2005Left atrial myxoma commonly leads to cerebral embolic ischemic stroke...
- Robotic excision of atrial myxomaJonathan Schilling
Department of Surgery, Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Card Surg 27:423-6. 2012..System have facilitated minimally invasive and robotic cardiac procedures including mitral valve repair and atrial myxoma excision...
- Trends in the clinical and morphological characteristics of cardiac myxoma: 20-year experience of a single tertiary referral center in JapanSatoshi Yuda
Department of Cardiology, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Circ J 66:1008-13. 2002The purpose of this study was to clarify whether or not a change in the clinical characteristics of cardiac myxoma has occurred during the past 2 decades...
- Local thrombolysis for successful treatment of acute stroke in an adolescent with cardiac myxomaNatig Gassanov
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Cologne, Germany
ScientificWorldJournal 11:891-3. 2011..The mass was excised surgically, confirmed as a benign atrial myxoma, and the patient was discharged with restitution ad integrum...
- PRKAR1A gene mutation in patients with cardiac myxomaT Mabuchi
Molecular Genetics of Cardiovascular Disorders, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Takara machi 13 1, Kanazawa 920 8640, Japan
Int J Cardiol 102:273-7. 2005..dominant multiple neoplasia syndrome characterized by spotty pigmentations, endocrine overactivity and cardiac myxoma. We hypothesized that cardiac myxoma may be associated with PRKAR1A gene mutation and determined whether mutation ..
- Corneal myxoma arising in a patient with repeated phototherapeutic keratectomiesJennifer W Robinson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ottawa Eye Institute and The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 25:1111-4. 2006We report the clinical and pathologic findings of a corneal myxoma that was diagnosed in a cornea that had undergone phototherapeutic keratectomy (PTK).
- Surgical management of cardiac myxomaGokhan Ipek
Kosuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Card Surg 20:300-4. 2005Between 1994 and December 2003, 55 patients were operated for cardiac myxoma in Kosuyolu Heart and Research Hospital in Istanbul.
- Interleukin-6 and "complex" cardiac myxomaY Mochizuki
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 66:931-3. 1998A rare case of "complex" cardiac myxoma is reported. Complex cardiac myxoma manifests with more constitutional signs than the sporadic type...
- Left atrial and right ventricular myxoma: an uncommon presentation of a rare tumourAndres Diaz
Cardiothoracic Unit, University College Hospital, The Heart Hospital, London, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:622-3. 2011..Transoesophageal echocardiography has become an invaluable tool to diagnose myxomas and plan the surgical approach...
- Sinonasal myxoma: a pediatric caseLatha Prasannan
Department of Pediatrics, Scott and White Hospital and The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, Texas 76508, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:90-2. 2005The authors report a case of a rare facial myxoma arising from the maxillary sinus in a 20-month-old child...
- Clinical experiences of cardiac myxomaSong Hyeon Yu
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Yonsei Cardiovascular Center, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 47:367-71. 2006Although cardiac myxoma is rare, it is the most common primary cardiac tumor. Seventy-four cases of cardiac myxoma that were surgically treated in our center between August 1980 and February 2005 were retrospectively reviewed...
- Complete embolization of a left atrial myxoma resulting in acute lower extremity ischemiaChris Coley
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, Florida 32806, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:238-40. 2005Atrial myxoma is the most common benign tumor of the heart. Patients who have atrial myoxmas usually present with cardiac obstruction, arrhythmias, or peripheral embolization...
- A rare case of aortic valve myxoma: an unusual cause of embolic strokeShiva Prasad Koyalakonda
University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Cardiology 118:101-3. 2011Aortic valve myxoma is an extremely rare cardiac tumour. We describe a 60-year-old woman found to have an aortic valve myxoma and a patent foramen ovale (PFO) presenting as a stroke...
- Resection of left ventricular myxoma after embolic strokeMarcus Vinicius Ferraz de Arruda
Hospital dos Fornecedores de Cana, Avenida Barão de Valença 716, Piracicaba
Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 23:578-80. 2008Cardiac myxoma is the most common primary tumor of the heart. The tumor is located mainly in the left atrium but can arise from any heart chamber. Clinical symptoms are variable but dyspnea and embolism are the most frequent...
- Surgical treatment of primary intracardiac myxoma: 19 years of experienceGeorge Samanidis
2nd Department of Adult Cardiac Surgery, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Athens, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 13:597-600. 2011Cardiac myxoma is the most common benign tumor of the heart. It presents with a variety of clinical signs and symptomatology making diagnosis frequently quite a challenge...
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the vulvaR Ribaldone
Clinics of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Maggiore Hospital of Novara, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont, Corso Mazzini 18, Novara, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 95:724-8. 2004..Aggressive angiomyxoma is a rare soft tissue tumour that carries a high risk of local relapse. It is a slowly growing and locally infiltrating tumour...
- Sinonasal myxoma in an infantIoannis A Iatrou
University Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School of Athens, Greece
J Craniofac Surg 21:1649-51. 2010..region are neoplastic entities of mesenchymal origin most often associated with odontogenic origin; sinonasal myxoma is rare, located in the nasolabial region and originating from the sinonasal tract...
- Serpin Modulation of Inflammatory Vasculitis; Potential for Immunomodulatory TherALEXANDRA ROSE LUCAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two innovative therapeutic approaches, based upon the infusion of serpins, one derived from a myxoma virus, Serp-1, and one mammalian serpin, neuroserpin (NSP), have been investigated in our research laboratory with ..
- Host defense against poxviruses and viral immune evasionLiang Deng; Fiscal Year: 2011..We found that attenuated vaccinia or myxoma (a rabbit poxvirus) infection of dendritic cells and macrophages trigger autophagy, whereas wild-type vaccinia ..
- Myxoma Virus (MV) Oncolysis for treating human cancerGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary Myxoma virus (MV) infects only rabbits in vivo, but also has a natural capacity to infect a wide variety of human cancer cells in vitro and in vivo...
- Manipulation of inflammasomes and NF-kB signaling in human myeloid cells by MyxomGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2013..downstream innate immune responses via inflammasomes and NF-?B signaling in determining the tropism and sensing of myxoma virus (MYXV), a rabbit specific poxvirus that also exhibits the capacity to infect a wide spectrum of human cancer ..
- Virotherapy for pancreatic cancer with wildtype and armed Myxoma virusesGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Studies in Poxvirus Host Range Genes and TropismGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2013..examine the molecular pathways that mediate the species specificity and tropism of one particular poxvirus, namely myxoma virus (MV)...
- Characterization of Antiviral Functions of Sterile Alpha Motif-Containing DomainJia Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..from this study will provide detail descriptions on their action using infection models by two DNA viruses, myxoma virus (MYXV) and herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)...
- Genomic analysis of the canonical case of virulence evolution: Myxomatosis in AuAndrew F Read; Fiscal Year: 2013..risk? In this proposal we seek to determine the molecular genetic basis of the evolution of the highly lethal myxoma virus after it was deliberately released as a biocontrol agent against rabbits in both Australia and Europe in the ..
- Treatment of transplanted and established multiple myeloma using oncolytic myxomaERIC CARTER BARTEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Currently, I am interested in the study of a rabbit specific poxvirus called myxoma virus (MYXV) and how it interacts with normal and cancerous cells...
- GENE REGULATION OF MAMMALIAN DNA VIRUSESRichard Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The leporipoxvirus myxoma virus (MYX) encodes two functional serpins: SERP1 and SERP2...
- REGULATION OF P53 EXPRESSION BY C7 TRANSCRIPTION FACTORDavid Strayer; Fiscal Year: 1999..The applicant's laboratory has discovered that a transcription factor from a malignant rabbit myxoma virus, namely C7, regulates p53 mRNA levels and negatively affects cell proliferation, notably of lymphocytes...
- Viral PYRIN-only proteins as suppressors of the host immune responseChristian Stehlik; Fiscal Year: 2007..novel immunoevasive strategy of poxviruses also by gene ablation of the viral PYRIN-only protein of the rabbit myxoma virus, a widely used model for the poxvirus family, and assessment of host cell infection efficiency. (Aim 2)...
- Immune evasion by gamma 2 HerpesvirusesKLAUS J FRUEH; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Antiviral host responses by cytomegalovirusKlaus Frueh; Fiscal Year: 2005..The major goals of this proposal include identification of 1) RhCMV gene(s) required for ISG downregulation and 2) host pathways targeted by the virus to accomplish this. ..
- Functional characterization of the poxviral RING proteinKlaus Frueh; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, the proteomics approaches are expected to provide new tools for the study of ubiquitination events in virally infected cells. ..
- Mechanisms of T cell Escape by OrthopoxvirusesKlaus Frueh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A novel family of transmembrane ubiquitin ligasesKlaus Frueh; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DYSRHYTHMIAS OF THE RESPIRATORY OSCILLATORDavid Paydarfar; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ROLE OF THE CNC GENE IN DEVELOPMENT AND TUMORIGENESISLAWRENCE KIRSCHNER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of this project is to identify the role that the CNC gene product plays in the normal development of the endocrine and other systems, as well as the role that the mutated gene plays in tumorigenesis. ..
- Carney Complex: A Model for PKA-Mediated TumorigenesisLAWRENCE KIRSCHNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Physiology of Swallowing and Airway ProtectionDavid Paydarfar; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will stimulate the ISLN (using optimum parameters from Aim 3) in patients with neurogenic dysphagia caused by focal cerebral damage, and we will test for improvement in swallowing and decrease in aspiration. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- In vivo Ribosome Tagging in Neuroendocrine Cell TypesPAUL AMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2008..Low, medium, and highly translated mRNAs expressed in specific neuroendocrine cell types under varying physiological states can then be analyzed on microarrays followed by Quantitative-PCR. [unreadable] [unreadable]..