Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign neoplasm derived from connective tissue, consisting chiefly of polyhedral and stellate cells that are loosely embedded in a soft mucoid matrix, thereby resembling primitive mesenchymal tissue. It occurs frequently intramuscularly where it may be mistaken for a sarcoma. It appears also in the jaws and the skin. (From Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- The challenge presented by right atrial myxomaEberhard Kuon
Department of Cardiology, Klinik Fraenkische Schweiz, Ebermannstadt, Germany
Herz 29:702-9. 2004Right atrial myxoma can be heralded by nonspecific constitutional symptoms-i. e., remittent or lasting fever; weight loss; chronic anemia and general arthralgia-and may escape timely diagnosis until severe complications develop: i. e...
- Clinical presentation of left atrial cardiac myxoma. A series of 112 consecutive casesL Pinede
Department of Internal Medicine, Edouard Herriot Hospital, 69437 Lyons, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 80:159-72. 2001We analyzed a series of 112 consecutive cases of left atrial myxoma diagnosed in a single French hospital (72 women and 40 men; age range, 5-84 yr) over 40 years, from 1959 to 1998...
- Massive right atrial myxoma presenting as syncope and exertional dyspnea: case reportOlga Azevedo
Cardiology Department, Centro Hospitalar do Alto Ave Unidade de Guimarães, Guimaraes, Portugal
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 8:23. 2010Primary heart neoplasms are rare occurring with an estimated incidence of 0.0017-0.19%. Myxoma is the most prevalent primary heart tumor. The right atrium is an unusual localization, occurring only in 15-20% of myxoma cases...
- Mutations of the gene encoding the protein kinase A type I-alpha regulatory subunit in patients with the Carney complexL S Kirschner
Unit on Genetics and Endocrinology, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 26:89-92. 2000..We conclude that germline mutations in PRKAR1A, an apparent tumour-suppressor gene, are responsible for the CNC phenotype in a subset of patients with this disease...
- Report of a conjunctival myxoma case and review of the literatureHakan Demirci
Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, 840 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:735-8. 2006
- Odontogenic myxoma of the maxilla: a report of two pediatric casesBryan G Wachter
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153 5590, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:389-93. 2003..Nevertheless, myxoma is a very uncommon lesion of the midface, particularly in the pediatric population...
- Vulvar soft tissue tumorsK A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Gynecology Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Gynecol Cancer 14:94-9. 2004..To report our incidence of soft tissue tumors at this site and to discuss various prognostic factors...
- A rare case of conjunctival myxoma and a review of the literatureChing Long Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Ophthalmologica 222:136-9. 2008..To report on an 11-year-old boy with a painless slow-growing temporal bulbar conjunctival mass of his left eye...
- Pelvic excision of large aggressive angiomyxoma in a woman: irradiation for recurrent diseaseM Suleiman
Department of Radiooncology, Hospital of Sion, Sion, Switzerland
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:356-60. 2006..This is, to our knowledge, the second description of a therapeutic irradiation of a recurrent AAM. Radiation therapy is able to control a recurrent AAM for at least 3 years...
- Aggressive angiomyxoma: a second case of metastasis with patient's deathStella Blandamura
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Italy
Hum Pathol 34:1072-4. 2003..We document this case and report a similar one, found in the literature, of a postmenopausal woman with pulmonary and mediastinic metastases. These cases may expand the current concepts of potential behavior of aggressive angiomyxoma...
- Cardiac myxomas: 24 years of experience in 49 patientsI M Keeling
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiac Surgery, Karl Franzens University Graz, Graz, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:971-7. 2002In this single-center study we reviewed our experience with a significant number of cardiac myxoma cases occurring over the past two decades.
- Cardiac myxoma: a 13-year experience in echocardiographic diagnosisRicardo Oliveira
Servico de Cardiologia, Hospital de Santa Marta, Lisboa, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 29:1087-100. 2010..The authors review their thirteen years' experience on the echocardiographic diagnosis of this pathology...
- Biatrial myxoma and cerebral ischemia successfully treated with intravenous thrombolytic therapy and surgical resectionMorhaf Ibrahim
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, and Department of Neurology at the University of Texas Health Science Center Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 35:193-5. 2008..agent was used successfully--without massive intracranial bleeding--to treat acute stroke induced by atrial myxoma. Our patient, who had biatrial myxomas with a dual blood supply from the right coronary artery, presented with ..
- Heart-specific ablation of Prkar1a causes failure of heart development and myxomagenesisZhirong Yin
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Circulation 117:1414-22. 2008..Mouse models of this genetic defect have been unsatisfactory because homozygote null animals die early in development and heterozygotes do not exhibit a cardiac phenotype...
- Carney complex, a familial multiple neoplasia and lentiginosis syndrome. Analysis of 11 kindreds and linkage to the short arm of chromosome 2C A Stratakis
Section on Pediatric Endocrinology, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 97:699-705. 1996..This region has exhibited cytogenetic aberrations in atrial myxomas associated with the complex, and has been characterized by microsatellite instability in human neoplasias...
- Safe and effective intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke caused by left atrial myxomaChristian D Nagy
Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 18:398-402. 2009Atrial myxoma may be associated with syncope or sudden death attributed to left-sided cardiac outflow obstruction or embolization caused by tumor dislodgement or thrombus formation...
- A huge obstructive myxoma located in the right heart without causing any symptomMurat Yuce
Int J Cardiol 114:405-6. 2007Cardiac myxoma is unusual and mostly located in left atrium...
- Angiomyxolipoma (vascular myxolipoma) of subcutaneous tissueJuan C Tardio
Department of Pathology, Hospital El Escorial, Madrid, Spain
Am J Dermatopathol 26:222-4. 2004..This lesion requires differential diagnosis with other benign fat tissue tumors, especially myxoid spindle cell lipoma, superficial angiomyxoma, myxoid liposarcoma, and low-grade myxofibrosarcoma...
- Aggressive angiomyxoma mimicking inguinal hernia in a manTomonori Minagawa
Department of Urology, Azumino Red Cross Hospital, 5685 Toyoshina, Azumino, Nagano, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 14:365-8. 2009..The findings from previously reported cases and our case suggest that AAM should be considered in patients with an inguinal or scrotal swelling with a suspicious soft tissue tumor...
- Cerebral embolism from left atrial myxoma leading to cerebral and retinal aneurysms: a case reportMartin Herbst
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:666-9. 2005Left atrial myxoma commonly leads to cerebral embolic ischemic stroke...
- The appearance of Mazabraud's syndrome on 18F-FDG PET/CTAmit Singnurkar
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1E2 Canada
Skeletal Radiol 36:1085-9. 2007..3 and 2.6. As such, this entity merits consideration when evaluating hypoattenuating intramuscular masses, particularly in the context of fibrous dysplasia...
- An atypical left atrial myxoma causing intracavitary pressure gradient and typical diastolic transmitral flow of severe mitral stenosisJohn T Parissis
Int J Cardiol 102:165-7. 2005
- Familial cardiac myxoma: Carney's complexAsha Mahilmaran
Institute for Cardiac Treatment and Research, Southern Railway Hospital, Ayanavaram, Chennai 600023, India
Tex Heart Inst J 30:80-2. 2003..in a 12-year-old boy who had the characteristic features of multiple cutaneous tumors, pigmentation, and biatrial myxoma. His large right atrial myxoma almost occluded the tricuspid valve and presented a life-threatening emergency...
- Surrounding muscle edema detected by MRI is valuable for diagnosis of intramuscular myxomaKazuto Nishimoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yamada Red Cross Hospital, Mie, Japan
Oncol Rep 11:143-8. 2004We recently experienced 4 cases of intramuscular myxoma and analyzed MRI findings, comparing them with histological ones...
- Robotic excision of atrial myxomaJonathan Schilling
Department of Surgery, Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Card Surg 27:423-6. 2012..System have facilitated minimally invasive and robotic cardiac procedures including mitral valve repair and atrial myxoma excision...
- Trends in the clinical and morphological characteristics of cardiac myxoma: 20-year experience of a single tertiary referral center in JapanSatoshi Yuda
Department of Cardiology, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Circ J 66:1008-13. 2002The purpose of this study was to clarify whether or not a change in the clinical characteristics of cardiac myxoma has occurred during the past 2 decades...
- Myxoma of the jaws. Report of three casesG Hernandez Vallejo
Departamento de Medicina y Cirugía Bucofacial, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Med Oral 6:106-13. 2001Odontogenic myxoma is a locally aggressive, uncommon benign tumour which arises from mesenchymal tissues normally present in developing teeth...
- F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging in left thigh intramuscular myxomaLinh Ho
PET Imaging Science Center, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Clin Nucl Med 34:224-5. 2009We report F-18 FDG PET-CT appearance of biopsy-proven intramuscular myxoma (IM) in a 69-year-old woman who presented with a left thigh mass...
- Giant myxoma causing right ventricular outflow tract obstructionFlora H F Tsang
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 17:242-4. 2011Atrial cardiac myxoma is the most common benign cardiac tumour. Atrial myxoma most commonly arises from the left atrium and, less frequently, from the right atrium or both ventricles...
- Management of cardiac myxoma during pregnancy: a case series and review of the literatureAnitha S John
Division of Cardiology, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, United States
Int J Cardiol 155:177-80. 2012..We present two cases of cardiac myxoma diagnosed during pregnancy and review the presentation and management strategies of previously reported cases...
- Multiple cerebral mycotic aneurysms due to left atrial myxoma: are there any pitfalls for the cardiac surgeon?Nikolaos G Baikoussis
Cardiac Surgery Department, University Hospital, Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina, Greece
Hellenic J Cardiol 52:466-8. 2011..atrial myxomas has been well documented, but the formation of multiple cerebral aneurysms resulting from atrial myxoma is a very rare neurological complication...
- Left atrial myxoma with papillary fibroelastoma-like featuresAbbas Agaimy
Institute of Pathology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 4:307-11. 2011Although rare, papillary fibroelastoma (PFE) of the heart valves and atrial myxoma represent the two most common cardiac tumors. Coexistence of these two lesions has been documented in rare case reports...
- A case of odontogenic myxoma with unusual histological features mimicking a fibro-osseous processYi Ling Lin
Department of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Head Neck Pathol 4:253-6. 2010Odontogenic myxoma is a rare benign but locally aggressive odontogenic tumor...
- Orbital myxoma--an unusual cause of inferoorbital massS L Ting
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, 77, Seksyen 22, KTLD, Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce, 93150, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 65:224-6. 2010..To describe a case of isolated infraorbital mass which had been present for the past 9 years in a young woman. Despite the size, the mass was successfully excised in total...
- Local thrombolysis for successful treatment of acute stroke in an adolescent with cardiac myxomaNatig Gassanov
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Cologne, Germany
ScientificWorldJournal 11:891-3. 2011..The mass was excised surgically, confirmed as a benign atrial myxoma, and the patient was discharged with restitution ad integrum...
- Left atrial and right ventricular myxoma: an uncommon presentation of a rare tumourAndres Diaz
Cardiothoracic Unit, University College Hospital, The Heart Hospital, London, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:622-3. 2011..Transoesophageal echocardiography has become an invaluable tool to diagnose myxomas and plan the surgical approach...
- Ischemic oculopathy as a complication of surgery for an atrial myxomaShu Yen Lee
Vitreoretina Service, Singapore National Eye Centre, 11 Third Hospital Ave, Singapore
Arch Ophthalmol 122:130-1. 2004
- Sinonasal myxoma in an infantIoannis A Iatrou
University Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School of Athens, Greece
J Craniofac Surg 21:1649-51. 2010..region are neoplastic entities of mesenchymal origin most often associated with odontogenic origin; sinonasal myxoma is rare, located in the nasolabial region and originating from the sinonasal tract...
- [Multiple atrial ball thrombi with stalk mimicking myxoma without valve disease: a case report]Masahiro Sonoda
The Second Department of Cardiology, National Hospital Organization Kagoshima Medical Center, Shiroyama cho 8 1, Kagoshima, Kagoshima
J Cardiol 49:287-93. 2007..The tumors were surgically removed and histologic examination of these tumors confirmed organization thrombus. This case of multiple atrial ball thrombi illustrates the problems with differentiation of myxoma and thrombus.
- Surgical treatment of primary intracardiac myxoma: 19 years of experienceGeorge Samanidis
2nd Department of Adult Cardiac Surgery, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Athens, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 13:597-600. 2011Cardiac myxoma is the most common benign tumor of the heart. It presents with a variety of clinical signs and symptomatology making diagnosis frequently quite a challenge...
- [Thrombocytopenia and disseminated intravascular coagulation in a patient with left atrial myxoma--a case report]Wojciech Kucharski
Katedra i Klinika Chorob Wewnetrznych, Zawodowych i Nadciśnienia Tętniczego, Wrocław, Poland
Kardiol Pol 59:421-4. 2003A case of a 47-year-old man, a Jehovah's Witness, with left atrial myxoma is presented. Clinical presentation included several months of thrombocytopenia and disseminated intravascular coagulation...
- A rare case of aortic valve myxoma: an unusual cause of embolic strokeShiva Prasad Koyalakonda
University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Cardiology 118:101-3. 2011Aortic valve myxoma is an extremely rare cardiac tumour. We describe a 60-year-old woman found to have an aortic valve myxoma and a patent foramen ovale (PFO) presenting as a stroke...
- Embolic atrial myxoma causing aortic and carotid occlusionMandy J Binning
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Surg Neurol 71:246-9; discussion 249. 2009Cardiac myxomas are a rare but well-described cause of stroke that usually occur in young people. Cardiac myxoma can embolize to multiple sites throughout the body.
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 infection associated with atrial myxomaYanwen Li
Division of Biomedical Sciences, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 163:2407-12. 2003Some findings suggest an infectious factor in cardiac myxoma and certain histopathological features indicate herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) infection. We hypothesized that HSV-1 may be involved in the pathogenesis of cardiac myxoma...
- Clinicopathologic study and DNA analysis of 37 cardiac myxomas: a 28-year experienceElvira Acebo
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Marques de Valdecilla University Hospital, Medical Faculty, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Chest 123:1379-85. 2003....
- PRKAR1A gene mutation in patients with cardiac myxomaT Mabuchi
Molecular Genetics of Cardiovascular Disorders, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Takara machi 13 1, Kanazawa 920 8640, Japan
Int J Cardiol 102:273-7. 2005..dominant multiple neoplasia syndrome characterized by spotty pigmentations, endocrine overactivity and cardiac myxoma. We hypothesized that cardiac myxoma may be associated with PRKAR1A gene mutation and determined whether mutation ..
- Myxoma of the orbitSaptagirish Rambhatla
Medical and Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 51:85-7. 2003..As the clinical manifestations are non-specific, it is difficult to diagnose the tumour without biopsy and histopathological examination. We report a case of orbital myxoma with histopathological correlation.
- Complete aortic occlusion caused by cardiac myxoma emboliChristian M Neff
University Health Care, Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Am J Emerg Med 26:110.e1-2. 2008
- Plexiform angiomyxoid myofibroblastic tumour: differential diagnosis of gastrointestinal stromal tumour in the stomachT T Rau
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Pathol 61:1136-7. 2008..The tumour had no C-KIT or CD34 expression and no mutation in the C-KIT and PDFGRalpha genes. Plexiform angiomyxoid myofibroblastic tumour may present a new mesenchymal tumour entity in the stomach...
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the thighE J Heffernan
Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital, Jim Patisson Pavilion South, 899 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z1M9, Canada
Skeletal Radiol 37:673-8. 2008....
- Left circumflex coronary artery to left atrial fistula in a patient with mitral regurgitation after excision of a left atrial myxomaA C Burns
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Cardiothoracic Centre-Liverpool NHS Trust, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1732-3. 2001..a patient who developed a left circumflex coronary artery to left atrial fistula associated with mitral regurgitation 12 years after excision of a left atrial myxoma. This was successfully ligated at the time of mitral valve replacement.
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the vulva: a case report and review of the literatureDanya Sereda
Service de Dermatologie, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Low Genit Tract Dis 13:46-50. 2009..Aggressive angiomyxoma is a variant of myxoid neoplasms of the female pelvic soft parts. The term "aggressive" refers to the tumor's locally infiltrative and recurrent nature because distant metastases are rare...
- Clinical experiences of cardiac myxomaSong Hyeon Yu
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Yonsei Cardiovascular Center, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 47:367-71. 2006Although cardiac myxoma is rare, it is the most common primary cardiac tumor. Seventy-four cases of cardiac myxoma that were surgically treated in our center between August 1980 and February 2005 were retrospectively reviewed...
- Complete embolization of a left atrial myxoma resulting in acute lower extremity ischemiaChris Coley
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, Florida 32806, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:238-40. 2005Atrial myxoma is the most common benign tumor of the heart. Patients who have atrial myoxmas usually present with cardiac obstruction, arrhythmias, or peripheral embolization...
- Resection of left ventricular myxoma after embolic strokeMarcus Vinicius Ferraz de Arruda
Hospital dos Fornecedores de Cana, Avenida Barão de Valença 716, Piracicaba
Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 23:578-80. 2008Cardiac myxoma is the most common primary tumor of the heart. The tumor is located mainly in the left atrium but can arise from any heart chamber. Clinical symptoms are variable but dyspnea and embolism are the most frequent...
- Surgical management of cardiac myxomaGokhan Ipek
Kosuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Card Surg 20:300-4. 2005Between 1994 and December 2003, 55 patients were operated for cardiac myxoma in Kosuyolu Heart and Research Hospital in Istanbul.
- Sinonasal myxoma: a pediatric caseLatha Prasannan
Department of Pediatrics, Scott and White Hospital and The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, Texas 76508, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:90-2. 2005The authors report a case of a rare facial myxoma arising from the maxillary sinus in a 20-month-old child...
- Corneal myxoma arising in a patient with repeated phototherapeutic keratectomiesJennifer W Robinson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ottawa Eye Institute and The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 25:1111-4. 2006We report the clinical and pathologic findings of a corneal myxoma that was diagnosed in a cornea that had undergone phototherapeutic keratectomy (PTK).
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the vulvaR Ribaldone
Clinics of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Maggiore Hospital of Novara, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont, Corso Mazzini 18, Novara, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 95:724-8. 2004..Aggressive angiomyxoma is a rare soft tissue tumour that carries a high risk of local relapse. It is a slowly growing and locally infiltrating tumour...
- Conjunctival myxoma: a clinicopathologic reportAdil Kilic
Yuzuncu Yil University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Ali Pasa M Sihke C Ozok Serhatkent C Blok D 22, Van 65200 Turkey
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 39:514-6. 2008A conjunctival myxoma was identified in a specimen obtained from a 45-year-old woman via excisional biopsy. The patient presented with a slowly growing painless epibulbar mass...
- Plexiform angiomyxoid myofibroblastic tumor of the stomachYoshihisa Takahashi
Department of Pathology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 31:724-8. 2007..Although clinical follow-up data were insufficient, the histologic appearances suggested the benign nature of the tumors. However, the tumor in case 1 caused gastric perforation and necessitated an emergency operation...
- Conjunctival myxoma, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and abnormal thickening of the inter-atrial septum: a case report and review of the literatureK Ramaesh
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh, UK
Eye 15:309-12. 2001..RESULTS: Following excision of the lesion, histological examination was performed and a diagnosis of myxoma was made. A cardiac echogram showed thickening of the interatrial septum...
- Catastrophic presentation of atrial myxoma with total occlusion of abdominal aortaSumit Yadav
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Townsville Hospital, Doulas, Townsville, QLD, Australia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:913-5. 2009Cardiac myxoma is a rare disease with protean manifestations. Embolic phenomena are well-known entities. However, total occlusion of the descending aorta by saddle embolism along with multi-organ embolism is very unusual...
- Interleukin-6 and "complex" cardiac myxomaY Mochizuki
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 66:931-3. 1998A rare case of "complex" cardiac myxoma is reported. Complex cardiac myxoma manifests with more constitutional signs than the sporadic type...
- Biatrial myxoma: a case report and review of the literatureAdel D Irani
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas at Houston Medical School, Houston, TX, USA
J Card Surg 23:385-90. 2008..Of these, only about 2.5% are biatrial. Only 10 cases have been reported in the last 10 years. We present here a successful case in a 51-year-old man. A brief review of the literature is presented to place this case in context...
- The cytopathology of soft tissue mxyomas: ganglia, juxta-articular myxoid lesions, and intramuscular myxomaPaul E Wakely Jr
Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, 43210, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:858-65. 2005We studied the practicality of issuing a cytologic diagnosis of myxoma/juxta-articular myxoid lesion/ganglion (MJG) by reviewing all fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy specimens of soft tissue masses in our files with diagnoses of myxoma,..
- Intramuscular myxoma of scalene muscle: a case reportHiroyuki Ozawa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, National Tokyo Medical Center, 2 5 1 Higashigaoka, Meguro ku, Tokyo 152 8902, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 31:319-22. 2004Intramuscular myxoma is a benign mesenchymal tumor that commonly occurs in the larger skeletal muscles, and is rare in the head and neck. A case of intramuscular myxoma in the scalene muscle is described...
- Systemic septic embolisation secondary to an atrial myxoma in a young womanAlice M Veitch
Department of Clinical Radiology, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, PL6 8DH, UK
Emerg Radiol 12:137-9. 2006We present a case of a left atrial myxoma infected with Staphylococcus aureus in a 35-year-old woman who was found to have a retained tampon...
- Odontogenic myxoma: a clinicopathological study of 33 casesElison N M Simon
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:333-7. 2004Odontogenic myxoma, a rare tumour that occurs in the jaws, has been reported to be the second commonest odontogenic tumour in many countries...
- Genetic analysis in a patient with recurrent cardiac myxoma and endocrinopathyYasushi Imai
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 69:994-5. 2005A 60 year-old male was referred for treatment of a cardiac myxoma in the right atrium. He had a past history of left atrial cardiac myxoma at age 49 and pituitary microadenoma related to acromegaly at age 55...
- Atrial myxoma: case report and a review of the literatureRobert Lee Percell
Departments of Medicine, University of South Florida College of Medicine and the James A Haley VA Hospital, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Heart Dis 5:224-30. 2003..Although the majority of atrial myxomas occur in the left atrium, 3 separate familial myxoma syndromes can result in multiple myxomas in atypical locations...
- Cerebral embolism from atrial myxoma in pediatric patientsMajeed Al-Mateen
Pediatric Neurology Clinic, Mary Bridge Children s Hospital and Health Center, Tacoma, Washington 98415, USA
Pediatrics 112:e162-7. 2003..Neither child had a history or other signs of cardiac disease. Atrial myxoma should be considered in the differential diagnosis when children present with neurologic symptoms or with signs of ..
- Ascites due to right atrial myxoma in a haemodialysis patientAnindya Banerjee
University College London, Centre for Nephrology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
BMC Nephrol 7:4. 2006..Persistent fluid overload in patients on renal replacement therapy despite good dialysis adequacy or obvious cardiac dysfunction should prompt a search for rarer causes...
- Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm after resection of an infected cardiac myxomaNiyazi Guler
Department of Cardiology, Yuzuncu Yil University, 65200 Van, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 34:233-5. 2007A 12-year-old girl with a high fever underwent echocardiography and was found to have a myxoma that arose from the atrial side of the anterior mitral valve leaflet. The tumor was successfully excised...
- Infected atrial myxoma: case report and literature reviewSebastiano Leone
Infectious Diseases Division, A O R N S G Moscati, Avellino, Italy
Infez Med 15:256-61. 2007b>Myxoma is the most common type of cardiac tumour in all age groups. It may simulate infective endocarditis but is rarely infected. We describe one case of infected left atrial myxoma caused by Enterococcus faecalis...
- Surgery for primary cardiac tumors. Clinical experience and surgical results in 60 patientsT Kosuga
Department of Surgery, Kurume University Hospital, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 43:581-7. 2002..We reviewed our clinical experience with primary cardiac tumors, attempting to clarify the surgical management of these rare entities...
- GNAS1 mutations occur more commonly than previously thought in intramuscular myxomaDavid Delaney
Department of Histopathology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Stanmore, Middlesex, UK
Mod Pathol 22:718-24. 2009..Intramuscular myxoma is a rare benign soft tissue neoplasm that occurs sporadically and less commonly in association with fibrous ..
- Infected left atrial myxomaKazuaki Uchino
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama
Intern Med 41:957-60. 2002A 47-year-old Japanese woman with a continuing high fever was promptly diagnosed as having infected atrial myxoma one day after admission based on transthoracic echocardiographic findings and positivity for bacteria in blood culture...
- Infected atrial myxoma: a rare cause of feverKatia Falasca
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine and Aging, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Infez Med 16:40-2. 2008..transthoracic echocardiography showed the presence of a mass in the left atrium, subsequently identified as a myxoma after its surgical excision. To date the patient has reported no new episodes of fever...
- A unique atrial primary cardiac lymphoma mimicking myxoma presenting with embolic stroke: a case reportMichael M Quigley
Department of Pathology, Division of Cardiology, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92134, USA
Blood 101:4708-10. 2003..While tumor emboli from invasive primary cardiac lymphomas have been reported, this noninvasive fibrin thrombus-associated lymphoma appears to be unique and previously unreported...
- Sepsis complicating giant cardiac myxomaMarianna Janion
Swietokrzyskie Centrum Kardiologii, 25 736 Kielce, Poland
Am J Emerg Med 26:387.e3-4. 2008..A giant tumor fixed to the atrial wall between the pulmonary veins' orifices was excised and confirmed as myxoma in histological tests...
- Odontogenic myxoma of maxillaG Sivakumar
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Pathology, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Dent Res 19:62-5. 2008Odontogenic myxoma (OM) is a rare and locally invasive benign neoplasm found exclusively in the jaws. OM commonly occurs in the second and third decade, and the mandible is involved more commonly than the maxilla...
- Minireview: PRKAR1A: normal and abnormal functionsIoannis Bossis
Section on Endocrinology and Genetics, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1862, USA
Endocrinology 145:5452-8. 2004....
- Comparative PRKAR1A genotype-phenotype analyses in humans with Carney complex and prkar1a haploinsufficient miceMark Veugelers
Greenberg Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14222-7. 2004..Thus, we conclude that although PRKAR1A haploinsufficiency does predispose to tumorigenesis, distinct secondary genetic events are required for tumor formation...
- Infected right ventricular myxoma and pulmonary valve endocarditisVincent Chan
University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:248-9. 2007
- Giant left atrial myxoma and associated mitral valve pathologyRichard Whitlock
Department of Surgery, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:103-5. 2007
- Genetic heterogeneity and spectrum of mutations of the PRKAR1A gene in patients with the carney complexL S Kirschner
Unit on Genetics and Endocrinology, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, Building 10, Room 10N262, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, MSC1862, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 9:3037-46. 2000..CNC is the first human disease recognized to be caused by mutations of the PKA holoenzyme, a critical component of cellular signaling...
- [Large myxoma of the right atrium]M F Jiménez-Navarro
Servicio de CardiologíaUnidad de Hepatitis, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Malaga
Rev Esp Cardiol 54:399-401. 2001..Histologic examination confirmed the diagnosis of myxoma. This case is of interest because of the size of the mass, and is centered in the diagnosis following clinical ..
- Infected cardiac myxoma. Case report and literature reviewS G Revankar
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 78284, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 77:337-44. 1998We present a case of a left atrial myxoma infected with Porphyromonas asaccharolytica in a 55-year-old man, successfully treated with surgical excision and a brief course of antibiotic therapy...
- Neurological manifestations of cardiac myxoma: a review of the literature and report of casesE I Ekinci
Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 34:243-9. 2004Cardiac myxoma is a rare but important cause of stroke, which affects young people. More recently the diagnosis has been enhanced by the use of echocardiograms...
- Cellular/intramuscular myxoma and grade I myxofibrosarcoma are characterized by distinct genetic alterations and specific composition of their extracellular matrixStefan M Willems
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Cell Mol Med 13:1291-301. 2009Cellular myxoma and grade I myxofibrosarcoma are mesenchymal tumours that are characterized by their abundant myxoid extracellular matrix (ECM). Despite their histological overlap, they differ clinically...
- An intramuscular myxoma of the handM M Al-Qattan
Division of Plastic Surgery, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hand Surg 9:97-9. 2004..In the literature, one case of intramuscular myxoma of the forearm has been reported...
- Cellular myxoma of soft tissue: a clinicopathological study of 38 cases confirming indolent clinical behaviourJ F van Roggen
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Histopathology 39:287-97. 2001..and biological potential of a group of soft tissue lesions with morphology intermediate between intramuscular myxoma and low-grade myxofibrosarcoma...
- Gene expression analysis to identify mRNA markers of cardiac myxomaA V Skamrov
National Cardiology Research Center, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, 3rd Cherepkovskaya Street 15A, Moscow 121552, Russia
J Mol Cell Cardiol 37:717-33. 2004cDNA expression arrays were used to identify mRNA expression markers for cardiac myxoma. The RNA profile analysis suggests that cardiac myxoma should be considered as a stand-alone tissue rather than a pathological modification of ..
- Stroke due to a cardiac myxomaRustam Al-Shahi Salman
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Pract Neurol 7:52-5. 2007
- Mutations in the protein kinase A R1alpha regulatory subunit cause familial cardiac myxomas and Carney complexM Casey
Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 106:R31-8. 2000..Although cardiac tumorigenesis may require a second somatic mutation, DNA and protein analyses of an atrial myxoma resected from a Carney complex patient with a PRKAR1alpha deletion revealed that the myxoma cells retain both the ..
- [Infected left atrial myxoma]Antonio García-Quintana
Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Dr Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Espana
Rev Esp Cardiol 58:1358-60. 2005b>Myxoma is the most common primary tumor of the heart. It is uncommon for these tumors to become infected and, at times, clinical presentation is no different from that of an uninfected myxoma...
- Right-sided MyxomasSumit Mittle
Division of Cardiology, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18:695. 2005..We present 3 cases in which right-sided myxomas were diagnosed echocardiographically and review the literature on primary cardiac myxomas...
- Left atrial myxoma presenting with acute myocardial infarction--a case reportMehmet Ozaydin
Department of Cardiology, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Angiology 56:767-9. 2005..Echocardiography and cardiac catheterization revealed a mass in the left atrium that was considered to be a myxoma. The coronary arteries appeared normal on angiography...
- Three unusual myxomas originating from the left atrial appendage: a case reportSibel Turhan
Department of Cardiology, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18:694. 2005..The advantage of transesophageal echocardiography in this case and for patients with atrial fibrillation is emphasized...
- Multifocal right atrial myxoma and pulmonary embolismAlden M Parsons
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7065, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1323-4. 2003Multifocal cardiac myxoma with greater than two foci is rarely reported in the literature...
- Myxoma Virus (MV) Oncolysis for treating human cancerGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Myxoma virus (MV) infects only rabbits in vivo, but also has a natural capacity to infect a wide variety of human cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Thus, MV is an attractive candidate for oncolytic virotherapy to treat human cancer...
- GENE REGULATION OF MAMMALIAN DNA VIRUSESRichard Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The leporipoxvirus myxoma virus (MYX) encodes two functional serpins: SERP1 and SERP2...
- Studies in Poxvirus Host Range Genes and TropismGrant McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2010..examine the molecular pathways that mediate the species specificity and tropism of one particular poxvirus, namely myxoma virus (MV)...
- Viral PYRIN-only proteins as suppressors of the host immune responseChristian Stehlik; Fiscal Year: 2007..novel immunoevasive strategy of poxviruses also by gene ablation of the viral PYRIN-only protein of the rabbit myxoma virus, a widely used model for the poxvirus family, and assessment of host cell infection efficiency. (Aim 2)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF CARDIAC MYXOMAS (CARNEY COMPLEX)Craig Basson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, loss of heterozygosity analysis of cultured myxoma tumor cells will be employed to reduce further the genetic and physical interval containing CAR...
- Carney Complex: A Model for PKA-Mediated TumorigenesisLAWRENCE KIRSCHNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- In vivo Ribosome Tagging in Neuroendocrine Cell TypesPAUL AMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..Low, medium, and highly translated mRNAs expressed in specific neuroendocrine cell types under varying physiological states can then be analyzed on microarrays followed by Quantitative-PCR. ..
- DYSRHYTHMIAS OF THE RESPIRATORY OSCILLATORDavid Paydarfar; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ROLE OF THE CNC GENE IN DEVELOPMENT AND TUMORIGENESISLAWRENCE KIRSCHNER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of this project is to identify the role that the CNC gene product plays in the normal development of the endocrine and other systems, as well as the role that the mutated gene plays in tumorigenesis. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Physiology of Swallowing and Airway ProtectionDavid Paydarfar; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will stimulate the ISLN (using optimum parameters from Aim 3) in patients with neurogenic dysphagia caused by focal cerebral damage, and we will test for improvement in swallowing and decrease in aspiration. ..