respiratory signs and symptoms
Summary: Respiratory system manifestations of diseases of the respiratory tract or of other organs.
- Respiratory cryptosporidiosis in HIV-seronegative children in Uganda: potential for respiratory transmissionSiobhan M Mor
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, North Grafton, MA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1366-72. 2010..However, respiratory signs and symptoms are common in otherwise healthy children with intestinal cryptosporidiosis, which suggests that ..
- Severity of respiratory signs and symptoms and virus profiles in Japanese children with acute respiratory illnessYumiko Miyaji
Department of Pediatrics, National Hospital Organization Yokohama Medical Center, 3 60 2 Harajuku, Totsuka ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, 245 8575 Department of Pediatrics, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, 236 0004
Microbiol Immunol 57:811-21. 2013Associations between the severity of respiratory signs and symptoms and the respiratory viruses identified in 214 Japanese children with acute respiratory illness (ARI) enrolled between January and December 2012 were studied...
- Community-acquired pneumonia in childrenKimberly Stuckey-Schrock
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38119, USA
Am Fam Physician 86:661-7. 2012..The diagnosis can be based on the history and physical examination results in children with fever plus respiratory signs and symptoms. Chest radiography and rapid viral testing may be helpful when the diagnosis is unclear...
- Respiratory viruses in children with cystic fibrosis: viral detection and clinical findingsJane L Burns
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Washington and Seattle Children s Hospital, USA
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 6:218-23. 2012..In addition, associations between viral detection and respiratory symptoms are not well described...
- Do gastrointestinal and respiratory signs and symptoms correlate with the severity of gastroesophageal reflux?Hakan Uzun
Department of Pediatrics, Duzce University School of Medicine, 81620 Konuralp, Duzce, Turkey
BMC Gastroenterol 12:22. 2012..In this study, we ascertained the incidence of GER among the children who had typical and atypical complaints of GER and whether there was a difference between two groups comparing the findings of 24-hour pH-meter...
- A randomised, placebo-controlled, dose-finding study of AZD9668, an oral inhibitor of neutrophil elastase, in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treated with tiotropiumClaus Vogelmeier
Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Marburg, Germany
COPD 9:111-20. 2012..AZD9668 showed no effect on lung function, respiratory signs and symptoms, QoL or biomarkers...
- Acute alveolitis following infliximab therapy for psoriasisJessica Bale
Department of General Medicine, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 54:61-3. 2013..The infliximab was discontinued and investigations did not reveal an infective cause. His respiratory signs and symptoms improved quickly with corticosteroid therapy...
- Pulmonary rehabilitation at home guided by telemonitoring and access to healthcare facilities for respiratory complications in patients with neuromuscular diseaseG Garuti
Respiratory Rehabilitation Unit, AUSL Reggio Emilia, Ospedale S Sebastiano, Correggio, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 49:51-7. 2013..Aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of a home follow-up program combining telemonitoring and chest physiotherapy (CPT) in preventing acute respiratory episodes...
- Achondroplasia-hypochondroplasia complex and abnormal pulmonary anatomyMichael B Bober
Division of Medical Genetics, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware 19803, USA
Am J Med Genet A 158:2336-41. 2012..with FGFR3-opathies, unrelated to chest size which leads to the consistent finding of increased respiratory signs and symptoms in these children...
- Congenital stridor: unusual manifestation of coarctation of the aortaJ G Park
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 27:137-9. 2006..After surgical correction, respiratory signs and symptoms completely resolved...
- Retrocardiac pneumonia mimicking acute abdomen: a diagnostic challengeIlaria Pezone
U O C di Pediatria, Ospedale di Arzignano, Legnago, Italy
Pediatr Emerg Care 28:1230-1. 2012..acute abdominal pain and fever due to retrocardiac pneumonia by Streptococcus pneumoniae without respiratory signs and symptoms. Acute abdominal pain is a common presenting symptom of children seen in pediatric emergency rooms...
- Comparison of resorbable poly-L-lactic acid-polyglycolic acid and internal Palmaz stents for the surgical correction of severe tracheomalaciaGregory K Sewall
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:515-21. 2003..Weight gain, adverse respiratory signs and symptoms, tracheal or lung histopathologic changes, and internal and external tracheal diameters were measured...
- [Upper respiratory signs and symptoms in gastroesophageal reflux disease]Adorján Tibor
Orv Hetil 143:1042-3; author reply 1043. 2002
- Long-term effects of pregnancy and motherhood on disease outcomes of women with cystic fibrosisMichael S Schechter
Virginia Commonwealth University and Children s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0315, USA
Ann Am Thorac Soc 10:213-9. 2013..Studies of pregnancy in cystic fibrosis (CF) have shown no short-term harmful effects, but there are no long-term studies on the impact of motherhood...
- Rhinovirus frequently detected in elderly adults attending an emergency departmentAlessandra Pierangeli
Laboratory of Virology, Department of Molecular Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
J Med Virol 83:2043-7. 2011..Conversely, younger individuals with HRV, although presenting with respiratory signs and symptoms, were generally diagnosed with non-respiratory conditions...
- Humidified high-flow nasal oxygen utilization in patients with cancer at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer CenterAndrew S Epstein
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Palliat Med 14:835-9. 2011b>Respiratory signs and symptoms are commonly encountered by physicians who care for cancer patients. Supplemental oxygen (SOx) has long been used for treatment of hypoxic respiratory insufficiency, but data reveal mixed efficacy results...
- [Frequency of respiratory viruses and clinical characteristics in children attending a care center in Mexico City]Rosa Maria Wong-Chew
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 52:528-32. 2010To describe the frequency of respiratory viruses and clinical characteristics in children with respiratory signs and symptoms in a tertiary care center in Mexico.
- Pulmonary paracoccidioidomycosis: radiology and clinical-epidemiological evaluationRicardo Miguel Costa de Freitas
Radiology Unit, Sao Paulo Cancer Institute, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 43:651-6. 2010The purpose of this study was to compare respiratory signs and symptoms between patients with and without chest X-ray abnormalities in order to establish the meaning of radiographic findings in pulmonary PCM diagnosis.
- [Welding-related respiratory diseases]Tomasz Wittczak
Instytut Medycyny Pracy im prof J Nofera, Lodz, Klinika Chorób Zawodowych i Toksykologii, Ośrodek Alergii Zawodowej i Zdrowia Srodowiskowego
Med Pr 60:201-8. 2009..Welders are workers at risk of developing various respiratory signs and symptoms. Health effects associated with welding include different lung function abnormalities, including metal ..
- Clinical presentation of interstitial lung disease in childrenBrigitte Fauroux
Paediatric Pulmonology Department and INSERM E 213, Hopital Armand Trousseau, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Paediatr Respir Rev 5:98-100. 2004..Clinical presentation of paediatric ILD is non-specific and variable. Respiratory signs and symptoms include tachypnoea, rapid shallow breathing, retractions, cyanosis and crackles...
- [Risk factors of mortality in invasive pneumococcal disease]Lucía Barahona Rondón
Departamento de Microbiologia Medica, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 123:575-7. 2004..To analyze the risk factors associated with mortality in invasive pneumococcal disease in the university hospital Fundación Jiménez Díaz (Madrid, Spain) during 11 years...
- [Utility of bronchoalveolar lavage in immunocompromised children: diagnostic yield and complications]L E Vega-Briceño
Sección de Respiratorio Pediátrico, Departamento de Pediatria, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile
Arch Bronconeumol 40:570-4. 2004..Immunocompromised children are at high risk for developing pneumonia due to opportunistic pathogens. The role of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) in the evaluation of such patients is still controversial...
- Physiological basis of respiratory signs and symptomsPeter D Sly
Division of Clinical Sciences, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, West Perth
Paediatr Respir Rev 7:84-8. 2006..b>Respiratory signs and symptoms are based on alterations of normal physiology by the disease process...
- Rhabdomyolysis-induced acute renal failure associated with legionnaires' diseaseHaluk Erdogan
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Scand J Urol Nephrol 40:345-6. 2006..As in the case presented herein, initial respiratory signs and symptoms may not be prominent. Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment can be life-saving.
- Diagnostic and prognostic accuracy of clinical and laboratory parameters in community-acquired pneumoniaBeat Muller
Departments of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 7:10. 2007..standard to diagnose CAP is a new infiltrate on chest radiograph in the presence of recently acquired respiratory signs and symptoms. This study aims to evaluate the diagnostic and prognostic accuracy of clinical signs and symptoms and ..
- Validation of a new clinical scoring system for acute bronchitisC Mwachari
Centre for Respiratory Disease Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:1253-9. 2007..Although several clinical prediction rules exist for lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI), few are for acute bronchitis (acute bronchitis) and most have not been validated in high human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence settings...
- Secondary spontaneous pneumothorax in rapidly progressive forms of silicosis: characterization of pulmonary function measurements and clinical patternsIraj Mohebbi
Department of Occupational Medicine, Urmia Medical Sciences University, Urmia, Iran
Toxicol Ind Health 23:125-32. 2007....
- Trends in the clinical characteristics of the U.S. cystic fibrosis patient population from 1995 to 2005Donald R VanDevanter
ICON Clinical Research, San Francisco, California, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:739-44. 2008b>Respiratory signs and symptoms (cough, sputum production, or crackles) are considered bellwethers of underlying cystic fibrosis (CF) lung disease...
- [Evaluation of acute bacterial rhinosinusitis in asthma patients based on clinical parameters and imaging studies, together with ear, nose and throat examination]Alecsandra Calil Moises Faure
Departamento de Medicina, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 34:340-6. 2008..To evaluate paranasal sinuses in patients with stable or acute asthma in order to determine the prevalence of acute bacterial rhinosinusitis...
- [Clinical-radiological dissociation in lung manifestations of paracoccidioidomycosis]Elenice Gomes
Clínica de Fisioterapia, Centro Universitario de Maringa, Maringa, PR
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 41:454-8. 2008..We concluded that although morphological abnormalities in the lungs are frequent, they do not always correspond to respiratory signs and symptoms and cannot easily be attributed exclusively to paracoccidioidomycosis.
- CT-guided percutaneous lung biopsies in patients with haematologic malignancies and undiagnosed pulmonary lesionsSanjay Gupta
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Hematol Oncol 28:75-81. 2010..with leukaemia, cavitary lung lesions or consolidations, active underlying malignancy, neutropenia, respiratory signs and symptoms and/or fever, bone marrow transplant recipients, and in patients receiving chemotherapy...
- Dust exposure and impairment of lung function at a small iron foundry in a rapidly developing countryJ Gomes
Centre for Agricultural Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 0W8, Canada
Occup Environ Med 58:656-62. 2001....
- Effects of azithromycin on P. aeruginosa gene expressionJane Burns; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additionally, specific markers may be identified to predict CF patient response to azithromycin, thus preventing ongoing treatment with ineffective therapy. ..