Summary: Death and putrefaction of tissue usually due to a loss of blood supply.
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Calciphylaxis in a patient with end-stage renal disease secondary to systemic lupus erythematosus associated with acral gangrene and mesenteric ischemiaN Igaki
Department of Internal Medicine, Takasago Municipal Hospital
Intern Med 40:1232-7. 2001..calcific arteriolopathy to occur following which several factors including chronic administration of corticosteroids, photosensitivity in lupus, and significant weight loss may have contributed to acral gangrene and mesenteric ischemia.
- Limb gangrene following treatment of limb injury by traditional bone setter (Tbs): a report of 15 consecutive casesO E Nwankwo
Department of Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
Niger Postgrad Med J 12:57-60. 2005This study is done to evaluate cases of limb gangrene resulting from treatment of limb injury by traditional bonesetter.
- [Upper extremity gangrene in an infant of a diabetic mother, presenting at birth]L Vakrilova
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia) 44:51-4. 2005In utero gangrene of an extremity because of an arterial thrombosis is rare. More than 20% of the reported cases concern infants of diabetic mothers (IDM) with poor control of diabetes...
- Endovascular repair of spontaneous infrarenal aortic dissection presenting as severe lower extremity ischaemiaD J Adam
University Department of Vascular Surgery, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:699-701. 2007..The patient underwent digital amputation and debridement of the foot four weeks post-operatively. At 12 months follow-up, he remains symptom-free with an excluded dissection, patent reconstruction and healed foot...
- Successful treatment of diabetic gangrene with topical application of a mixture of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and basic fibroblast growth factorJun Asai
Department of Dermatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Japan
J Dermatol 33:349-52. 2006Diabetic gangrene is a non-healing skin ulcer that is often resistant to most common treatments. It is caused by microvascular disorders and an immunocompromised state which are induced by diabetes mellitus...
- Left paraduodenal hernia: a rare cause of large bowel obstruction and gangreneAbu Bakar Hafeez Bhatti
Surgical Unit IV, Dow University of Health Sciences and Civil Hospital, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 22:250-1. 2012..authors here report a case of left para duodenal hernia with simultaneous small and large bowel obstruction and gangrene. The patient underwent emergency laparotomy and generous resection of gangrenous small and large bowel was ..
- Presentation and outcome of purpura fulminans associated with peripheral gangrene in 12 patients at Mayo ClinicMark D P Davis
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:944-56. 2007..Dermatologists may be called to assist in the diagnosis and management of purpura fulminans...
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation complicated by peripheral gangrene in a rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta) experimentally infected with Plasmodium coatneyiAlberto Moreno
Emory Vaccine Center and Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:648-54. 2007We report the first case of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) complicated by peripheral gangrene induced by Plasmodium coatneyi in rhesus monkeys...
- Peripheral gangrene complicating Salmonella typhi septicaemia in a Gambian infantB J Okoko
Medical Research Council, Fajara, The Gambia, West Africa
J Trop Pediatr 47:250-1. 2001..septicaemia with a 4-day history of febrile illness, dehydration and severe anaemia, developed bilateral dry gangrene of the hands and feet...
- Heat insoluble cryoglobulin associated with gangrene in multiple myelomaAmir Modarressi
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Clin Apher 18:190-3. 2003..report a case of a 49 year old man with multiple myeloma and an unusual type I cryoglobulin that caused occlusive gangrene. The cryoglobulin appeared as a milky white precipitate that was resistant to re-suspension and did not dissolve ..
- [DIC and peripheral gangrene in a severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria: the coagulation-inflammation cycle with Plasmodium falciparum as a model]A Tessier-Marteau
Laboratoire d Hematologie, CHU Angers, Service de Reanimation, CHU d Angers
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 67:569-72. 2009Peripheral gangrene with disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) during severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria has already been described but is unfrequent...
- Cutaneous complications of intravesical treatments for bladder cancer: granulomatous inflammation of the penis following BCG therapy and penile gangrene following mitomycin therapyFaraz Kureshi
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:328-31. 2006..The second patient was a 73-year-old man with penile gangrene. Erythema involving his penis and perineum had developed within 24 hours after intravesical administration of ..
- Capnocytophaga canimorsus sepsis with purpura fulminans and symmetrical gangrene following a dog bite in a shelter employeePravin M Deshmukh
Department of Infectious Diseases, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York, USA
Am J Med Sci 327:369-72. 2004The authors describe a fatal case of purpura fulminans with symmetrical peripheral gangrene and sepsis caused by Capnocytophaga canimorsus in a 45-year-old, previously healthy woman who was bitten by a dog at an animal shelter where she ..
- The prevention of traditional bone setter's gangreneM Eshete
Arba Minch Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:102-3. 2005..retrospective survey in southern Ethiopia revealed that 49 amputations had been performed, 25 of which were for gangrene following tight splintage applied by traditional bone setters...
- Spontaneous adult transmesentric hernia with bowel gangreneR Gomes
Department of Surgery, Goa Medical College, Bambolim, Goa, India
Hernia 15:343-5. 2011..We report a rare case of spontaneous transmesenteric hernia of ileum with associated gangrene of bowel caused by a congenital mesenteric defect in a 35-year-old adult male, and review the relevant literature.
- Cutaneous polyarteritis nodosa presented with digital gangrene: a case reportSeung Won Choi
Department of Internal Medicine, Ulsan University Hospital, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Dong Gu, Ulsan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:371-3. 2006..Therapy with corticosteroid and alprostadil induce a moderate improvement of skin lesions. However, necrosis of the finger got worse and the finger was amputated...
- Laparotomy for visceral ischemia and gangreneKaren Woo
Department of Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Am Surg 73:1006-8. 2007..Patients were grouped into those who had a "positive laparotomy" with findings of bowel ischemia, bowel gangrene, or both (PL) and those who had a "negative laparotomy" with no evidence of compromised bowel (NL)...
- [Perineal gangrene: clinical and therapeutic features and prognostic analysis of 35 cases]Slim Jarboui
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale, CHI de Poissy, F 78303 Poissy Cedex, France
Presse Med 37:760-6. 2008The objective of this retrospective study of 35 cases of perineal gangrene was to describe their clinical and therapeutic features and to analyze the prognostic factors of mortality.
- Breast gangrene as a complication of puerperal sepsisSameer A Rege
C 201, Gagangiri Park Cooperative Housing Society, Samata Nagar, Thane West 400606, India
Arch Surg 137:1441-2. 2002b>Gangrene of the breast, although rare, has been reported following anticoagulant treatment, trauma, and infection. Two cases of breast gangrene due to puerperal sepsis have been reported...
- Neonatal gangrene in an extremity of an infant of a diabetic motherA Moazzam
Department of Plastic Surgery, Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, UK
BJOG 110:74-6. 2003
- Symmetric peripheral gangrene with mixed malariaA Agrawal
Department of Pediatrics, N S C B Medical College, Jabalpur, M P, India
Indian J Pediatr 74:587-8. 2007Symmetric peripheral gangrene (SPG) in a case of mixed malaria (P. falciparum and P. vivax) is a rare and relatively unknown complication of malaria...
- HBO and gas gangrene. A case reportS Ferraù
Service of Hyperbaric Medicine, University of Reykjavik City Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
Minerva Anestesiol 67:745-9. 2001..The first clinical appearance showed a gas gangrene of the area...
- A review of diagnosis and modes of presentation of tropical idiopathic lower limb gangreneA A Musa
Department of Surgery, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria
Afr Health Sci 6:49-50. 2006Tropical idiopathic lower limb gangrene (TILLG) is also known as Symmetrical gangrene in the African, Idiopathic gangrene in the African and Idiopathic peripheral gangrene of the tropics...
- Symmetrical peripheral digital gangrene following severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria-induced disseminated intravascular coagulopathySana Z A Ghafoor
Department of Dermatology and Wound Healing, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Int Wound J 7:418-22. 2010Symmetrical peripheral digital gangrene is a life-changing complication, caused by a pro-thrombotic life-threatening disease, such as disseminated intravascular coagulopathy (DIC) secondary to systemic infection...
- Peripheral gangrene complicating idiopathic and recessive hemolytic uremic syndromesB S Kaplan
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania, 19104, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 14:985-9. 2000Three patients with hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) developed peripheral gangrene. Bilateral carotid artery thromboses occurred in one of these patients after recovery from HUS...
- Axial torsion and gangrene of a giant Meckel's diverticulumChristos Limas
Pediatric Surgery Department, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Greece
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 15:67-8. 2006..Axial torsion and gangrene of Meckel's diverticulum is the rarest of the complications that have been reported, with this being particularly ..
- Massive gastrointestinal bleeding in infants with ascariasisSurasak Sangkhathat
Pediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hadyai, Songkhla, Thailand
J Pediatr Surg 38:1696-8. 2003..Both infants previously passed roundworms with their stool. The authors conclude that the intestinal ascariasis can be a cause of massive gastrointestinal bleeding, especially in temperate and tropical countries...
- Role of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the management of gangrenous cholecystitisF A Habib
Department of Surgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers, 16001 West Nine Mile Road, 48075, Southfield, MI, USA
Am J Surg 181:71-5. 2001..Duration of surgery is not significantly prolonged and outcome in terms of morbidity, admission to the intensive care unit, and hospital stay are significantly better in patients in whom laparoscopic cholecystectomy is successful...
- Priapism and penile gangrene due to thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpuraBenjamin Kwok
Nepean Private Hospital, Kingswood NSW
Urology 75:71-2. 2010..The wound was closed secondarily 2 weeks later. Gangrene of the penis after priapism is very rare...
- Venous gangrene of lower extremities and Staphylococcus aureus sepsisH Ibrahim
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport, 1501 Kings Highway, P.O. Box 33932, Shreveport, LA, USA
J Perinatol 21:136-40. 2001This is a study of the venous gangrene of lower extremities and Staphylococcus aureus sepsis. We report on a premature infant who developed phlegmasia cerulea dolens (PCD) in both lower extremities in association with S...
- Axial torsion and gangrene of a giant Meckel's diverticulum mimicking acute appendicitisGulten Kiyak
Ataturk Teaching and Research Hospital, Second General Surgery Department, Bilkent, Ankara, Turkey
J Pak Med Assoc 59:408-9. 2009..Complications like intestinal obstruction, bleeding and inflammation of Meckel's diverticulum occur in 4% of patients. The case of a 42-year-old male patient with axial torsion and gangrene of giant Meckel's diverticulum is presented.
- Gangrene secondary to axial torsion in a patient with Meckel's diverticulumMehmet Eser
Department of General Surgery, Kartal Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int Surg 87:104-6. 2002..This report discusses the case of a 35-year-old woman who was diagnosed with acute abdomen. The laparatomy revealed gangrene of Meckel's diverticulum secondary to its axial torsion...
- Symmetric peripheral gangrene and falciparum malariaS Kakati
Department of Medicine, Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh, Assam
J Assoc Physicians India 52:498-9. 2004Sudden onset symmetric peripheral gangrene (SPG) is a relatively uncommon clinical entity manifested by distal ischemic damage at two or more sites in the absence of large vessel obstruction...
- Multiple arterial thrombi and in utero leg gangrene in an infant of a diabetic motherDenise K Long
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Perinatol 22:424-7. 2002This case report is of an infant of a diabetic mother who presented with lower extremity gangrene occurring in utero that necessitated a below the knee amputation at 3 hours of age...
- Management of ischemic penile gangrene: prompt partial penectomy and other treatment optionsI Ni Chiang
National Taiwan University Hospital Urology, Taipei, Taiwan
J Sex Med 5:2725-33. 2008Penile gangrene is a rare but troublesome problem with high mortality rates. The etiologies could be infectious, traumatic, or vasculogenic. The treatment algorithm is controversial because of limited case numbers.
- Severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria with peripheral gangreneRaimund Helbok
Clinical Department of Neurology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Lancet Infect Dis 8:400. 2008
- Gangrene in a child with Plasmodium falciparum malariaPramod Sharma
The Department of Pediatric Medicine and Surgery, Umaid Hospital, Dr S, N Medical College, Jodhpur
J Trop Pediatr 51:252-3. 2005
- Ileosigmoidal knotting in children: a review of 9 casesS Selcuk Atamanalp
Department of General Surgery, Ataturk University School of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
World J Surg 31:31-5. 2007..The purpose of this study was to review nine pediatric cases of ileosigmoidal knotting (ISK), which is an unusual form of intestinal obstruction common in adults, characterized by double-loop obstruction...
- Neonatal lower extremity gangreneParas R Kothari
Department of Pediatric Surgery, LTMMG and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai 400 002, India
Indian Pediatr 42:1156-8. 2005Four neonates suffering from bilateral lower limb gangrene were referred to us for further management. Two neonates had no contributory etiology...
- Novel detection of parvovirus B19 DNA & IgM antibodies in patients with non-occlusive gangrene of stomach & bowelJanak Kishore
Department of Microbiology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Indian J Med Res 131:702-10. 2010b>Gangrene of stomach or intestines owing to non-occlusive bowel infarction (NOBI) is a rare event with unknown etiology...
- Successful percutaneous angioplasty and stenting of the radial artery in a patient with chronic upper extremity ischemia and digital gangreneSean Dineen
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Endovasc Ther 14:426-8. 2007..To report percutaneous treatment of a chronic radial artery occlusion in a multimorbid patient with ischemic tissue loss...
- Gangrene intestine caused by Ascaris lumbricoides; report of 5 cases in childrenVibha Kawatra
Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Lok Nayak Hospital Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi 110002, India
Pathol Res Pract 206:292-4. 2010..It can be asymptomatic or can present with symptoms of acute abdomen. Perforation and torsion with gangrene are its very rare fatal complications but an important cause of mortality in children...
- Neonatal frostbite with gangrene of toesSriram Krishnamurthy
Department of Pediatrics, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Dermatol 26:625-6. 2009b>Gangrene of the extremities in the neonatal period is rare. Etiology is not identified in most cases and management is usually conservative...
- Symmetric peripheral gangrene of the lower limbs in a case of complicated falciparum malariaP C Bhattacharyya
Department of Medicine, Downtown Hospital Ltd, Guwahati, Assam, India
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 39:589-92. 2008Association of symmetric peripheral gangrene (SPG) with falciparum malaria infection is a relatively uncommon clinical entity...
- Ileosigmoid knotting--a case for primary anastomosisD Bawa
Department of Surgery, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 17:115-7. 2008..Resection of gangrenous/non-viable bowel followed by primary anastomoses is known to be a viable option for treatment of ileosigmoid knotting. We here report a case of ileosigmoid knot and examined the options for treatment...
- Peripheral gangrene in patients with severe falciparum malaria: report of 3 casesVipa Thanachartwet
Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Korean J Parasitol 44:139-43. 2006Peripheral gangrene, characterized by distal ischemia of the extremities, is a rare complication in patients with falciparum malaria. Patients with this complication have generally undergone early amputation of the affected areas...
- Intrauterine gangrene of the lower extremity in the newborn: a report of two casesMary K Nagai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE 19803, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 27:499-503. 2007We describe 2 cases of intrauterine gangrene involving the lower extremity in 2 unrelated neonates...
- Aluminum foil treatment combined with basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) for gangrene of the fingertip caused by collagen diseaseGan Muneuchi
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kagawa University, Kagawa, Japan
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 39:312-4. 2005..factor (bFGF) is used for the treatment of various intractable ulcers, there have been no reports of using it for gangrene of the fingertips caused by collagen diseases...
- Warfarin-induced skin necrosis and venous limb gangrene in the setting of heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaAbhay F Srinivasan
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:66-70. 2004..With HIT, it has been suggested that unopposed warfarin can precipitate venous limb gangrene. There are also reports of warfarin-induced skin necrosis...
- Risk factors for major limb amputations in diabetic foot gangrene patientsSusumu Miyajima
Department of Dermatology, Osaka Koseinenkin Hospital, 4 2 78, Fukushima ku, Fukushima, Osaka 553 0003, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 71:272-9. 2006..0001). Together with early detection and treatment of foot lesions, good blood glucose control and early management of systemic complications such as nephropathy and arteriosclerosis are considered important to avoid major amputations...
- Warfarin-induced limb gangrene in the setting of lung adenocarcinomaLiviu Klein
Department of Medicine, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Hematol 76:176-9. 2004..5. The platelet count dropped by more than 50%, and he developed venous limb gangrene of the left leg and skin necrosis of the right leg...
- Complete gangrene of penis in patient with arterial vascular diseaseR Gillitzer
Department of Urology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Urology 64:1231.e4-6. 2004We present a clinical case of distal penile gangrene in a patient with peripheral vaso-occlusive disease that did not correlate with the extension of the intraoperative finding and required total penectomy...
- Hemorheological disorders in patients with type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus and foot gangreneMaia Mantskava
Microcirculation Research Center, I Beritashvili Institute of Physiology, 14 Gotua St, 0160 Tbilisi, Georgia
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 35:307-10. 2006..The disturbed blood fluidity related to the increased RBC aggregability in the microcirculation promotes, in particular, the development of legs gangrene in both types of diabetes mellitus.
- Plasmodium falciparum cerebral malaria complicated by disseminated intravascular coagulation and symmetrical peripheral gangrene: case report and reviewM E Liechti
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:551-4. 2003..cerebral Plasmodium falciparum malaria with disseminated intravascular coagulation and symmetrical peripheral gangrene, ultimately requiring amputation of her left-sided fingertips and toes, is reported...
- Foot gangrene in patients with end-stage renal disease: a case control studyMourad Boufi
Department of Vascular Surgery and Research Unit of CNRS, UMR 7054, Tenon Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, University of Paris VI, Saint Antoine Faculty of Medicine, Paris, France
Angiology 57:355-61. 2006..estimated at 13%, and indications for limb revascularization in patients combining ESRD with stage IV PAD (foot gangrene) are still controversial...
- Ischemia and gangrene of the penisConstantine F Harris
Department of Urology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Urol 169:1795. 2003
- Isolated gangrene of the round and falciform liver ligaments: a rare cause of peritonitis: case report and review of the world literatureJulian E Losanoff
Department of Surgery, University of Missouri Columbia, USA
Am Surg 68:751-5. 2002Isolated infection and/or gangrene of the round and falciform liver ligaments is among the rarest causes of acute abdomen...
- Perineal ecthyma gangrenosum in infancy and early childhood: septicemic and nonsepticemic formsA M Boisseau
Service of Dermatology, Hopital des Enfants, Bordeaux, France
J Am Acad Dermatol 27:415-8. 1992..It is secondary to Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Most lesions are located in the anogenital and axillary areas, but the route of infection is generally difficult to establish...
- Total gangrene of the oral tongue following intra-aortic balloon pump for cardiogenic shockLuc G Morris
Department of Otolaryngology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:358-9. 2007
- Risk factors, ethnic differences and mortality associated with lower-extremity gangrene and amputation in diabetes. The WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in DiabetesN Chaturvedi
EURODIAB, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, UK
Diabetologia 44:S65-71. 2001..However, reasons for differences between geographical regions and the degree to which different health care systems could be responsible is not clear...
- Administration of adenoviral vectors induces gangrene in acutely ischemic rat hindlimbs: role of capsid protein-induced inflammationL S Brevetti
Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143-0222, USA
J Vasc Surg 34:489-96. 2001..Unexpectedly, administration of AdeNOS immediately after induction of acute limb ischemia led to limb gangrene. We subsequently sought to define the molecular mechanisms responsible for this unusual effect and to devise ..
- Multiple erythematous nodules and ecthyma gangrenosum as a manifestation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa sepsis in a previously healthy infantMurat Duman
Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Yzmir, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 23:243-6. 2006..aeruginosa. We report a previously healthy 6-month-old boy who had an uncommon presentation and rare complications during the course of P. aeruginosa sepsis...
- Symmetrical peripheral gangreneB D Sharma
Department of Medicine, VM Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Trop Doct 34:2-4. 2004Symmetrical peripheral gangrene (SPG), seen in a wide variety of medical conditions presents as symmetrical gangrene of two or more extremities without large vessel obstruction or vasculitis...
- Gangrene of an occipital encephaloceleArvind Sinha
Indian J Pediatr 72:451. 2005
- Post-caesarean Meleney's gangrene revisitedT Kulkarni
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 27:428-9. 2007
- Venous limb gangrene during overlapping therapy with warfarin and a direct thrombin inhibitor for immune heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaMaureen A Smythe
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073 6769, USA
Am J Hematol 71:50-2. 2002..patients with deep-vein thrombosis complicating immune heparin-induced thrombocytopenia who developed venous limb gangrene during overlapping therapy with a direct thrombin inhibitor (lepirudin or argatroban) and warfarin...
- Wet gangrene in hemodialysis patients with calciphylaxisis is associated with a poor prognosisC A Davis
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75235-9031, USA
Cardiovasc Surg 9:565-70. 2001..We report our five-year experience with five patients who developed foot gangrene due to calciphylaxis...
- Venous limb gangrene during warfarin treatment of cancer-associated deep venous thrombosisT E Warkentin
McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 135:589-93. 2001BACKGROUND: The cause of cancer-associated venous limb gangrene is unknown but could paradoxically be due to warfarin. OBJECTIVE: To determine the pathogenesis of venous gangrene in a patient with cancer. DESIGN: Case report...
- [Fournier's gangrene as a delayed complication of closed hemorrhoidectomy]R Gurfinkel
Plastic Surgery Department, Soroka University Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
Harefuah 144:394-6, 456, 455. 2005Fournier's gangrene is recognized as a synergistic necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum and abdominal wall along with the scrotum and penis in men and the vulva in women...
- Infantile Kawasaki disease and peripheral gangreneAmy L Durall
Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr 149:131-3. 2006We report a 1-month-old infant with Kawasaki disease and peripheral gangrene. We advocate using the newly published American Heart Association guidelines advising early laboratory and echocardiogram investigations in infants with fever ..
- Symmetrical peripheral gangrene due to viral gastroenteritisR Kashyap
Department of Medicine, IG Medical College, Shimla HP India
J Assoc Physicians India 52:500-1. 2004A case of multifactorial symmetrical peripheral gangrene due to viral gastroenteritis, shock, dopamine infusion, exposure to low temperature and nonlactose fermenters septicaemia is presented for its rarity and devastating consequences.
- Non-occlusive mesenteric ischemia and its associated intestinal gangrene in acute pancreatitisMasahiko Hirota
Department of Surgery II, Kumamoto University Medical School, Kumamoto City, Kumamoto, Japan
Pancreatology 3:316-22. 2003..mesenteric ischemia (NOMI) has been defined as diffuse intestinal ischemia that often results in intestinal gangrene in the presence of a patent arterial trunk...
- Trench foot following a collapse: assessment of the feet is essential in the elderlyGethin L Williams
Department of General Surgery, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, Cardiff CF64 2XX, UK
Age Ageing 34:651-2. 2005..We present a case of bilateral trench foot in such a patient with no prior peripheral vascular disease. Examination of the feet is mandatory for early detection of this rare condition in the collapsed elderly patient...
- Calciphylaxis: have you seen this disease?Stuart H Kuschner
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:449-50. 2005
- Ergotism unresponsive to multiple therapeutic modalities, including sodium nitroprusside, resulting in limb lossKhrongwong Musikatavorn
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:157-8. 2008..We report a patient with ischemia from ergotamine tartrate who failed to recover with medical therapy, resulting in limb amputation...
- Healing of transmetatarsal amputation in the diabetic patient: is angiography predictive?Boulos Toursarkissian
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 19:769-73. 2005Transmetatarsal amputation (TMA) is a durable reconstruction in the diabetic patient with limited forefoot gangrene. However, predicting TMA healing remains difficult...
- Midfoot amputations expand limb salvage rates for diabetic foot infectionsPatrick A Stone
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 19:805-11. 2005..Transtarsal amputations salvaged over half of nonhealing TMAs with excellent functional results...
- Hand ischemia after radial artery cannulationR James Valentine
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9031, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:18-22. 2005..Hand ischemia is a rare but potentially devastating complication of radial artery cannulation for arterial monitoring. The causes and ultimate outcomes of hand ischemia after radial artery cannulation are unclear...
- [Lower leg amputation due to critical limb ischaemia: morbidity, mortality and rehabilitation potential]R W Sprengers
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:2185-91. 2007..3 patients, a female aged 66 years, a male aged 67 years and a female aged 82 years, presented with rest pain or gangrene of their lower extremities as a result of critical limb ischemia (CLI)...
- Management of severe ischemia of the hand following intra-arterial injectionMarc Righini
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Geneva University Hospital, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Thromb Haemost 94:219-21. 2005
- Percutaneous angioplasty in the diabetic footDono Antono
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia Dr Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital, Jakarta, Indonesia
Acta Med Indones 39:192-3. 2007
- Iatrogenic arterial injury and foot gangrene. A case reportL O A Thanni
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, College of Health Sciences, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 10:352-4. 2007..Elective orthopaedic operations on the knee is rarely complicated by arterial injury...
- The management of ischemic heel ulcers and gangrene in the endovascular eraHasan H Dosluoglu
Division of Vascular Surgery, Veterans Administration Western New York Healthcare System, 3495 Bailey Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Am J Surg 194:600-5. 2007The objective of this study was to compare the outcome of patients presenting with heel ulcers or gangrene (HEEL group) with those having lesions in other parts of the foot (non-HEEL group).
- Peripheral vascular occlusions leading to gangrene and amputations in antiphospholipid antibody positive patientsRonald A Asherson
Division of Immunology, School of Pathology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1108:515-29. 2007..Complicating vasculitis was present in seven of the patients. Five of the patients developed severe peripheral vascular disease during the course of the catastrophic antiphospholipid (Asherson's) syndrome...
- Diabetic foot ulcersMichael E Edmonds
Diabetic foot clinic at King s College Hospital, London
BMJ 332:407-10. 2006
- Three episodes of gracilis free muscle transfer under epidural anaesthesiaN H Alam
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, Hull HU16 5JQ, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:1463-6. 2006..The inability to undergo general anaesthesia does not preclude free flap surgery in carefully selected patients...
- Purpura fulminans secondary to transient protein C deficiency as a complication of chickenpox infectionAli Bay
Pediatr Dermatol 23:412-3. 2006
- Multiple digital gangrene after a radial artery penetrating injury: a case reportTing Lung Lin
Department of Plastic and Reconstructuve Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Ann Vasc Surg 21:384-7. 2007..This case revealed that particular attention should be paid to those patients with a radial artery penetration injury to facilitate early detection and implementation of therapy for possible finger ischemia and subsequent gangrene.
- Myeloproliferative disorder as the cause of peripheral ischemia in a young patientJimmy K F Hon
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Mary s Hospital, London, UK
Ann Vasc Surg 22:456-8. 2008A 35-year-old patient with rest pain and peripheral gangrene was referred with a diagnosis of Takayasu's disease but had myeloproliferative disorder (primary thrombocythemia)...
- Acute limb ischemia due to ergotismIram Naz
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:553-5. 2006..The first patient was a 60 years old woman, who presented with a 15 days history of ischemia of the left arm with gangrene of the fingers and pain in the resting right hand for one day...
- Successful treatment and limb salvage of mucor necrotizing fasciitis after kidney transplantation with posaconazoleAbigail S Harada
Department of Medicine, University of Hawai i, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Hawaii Med J 66:68-71. 2007....
- [Postoperative nocardiosis caused by Nocardia otitidiscaviarum: pitfalls and delayed diagnosis]F Bonnet
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:680-4. 2007..Recommendations are proposed regarding physicians' role and optimized microbiological procedures for recognition of slowly growing nocardial strains...
- Multiple peripheral artery occlusions in antiphospholipid syndromeSuely Meireles Rezende
Am J Hematol 82:498. 2007
- [Incidence of pyo-necrotic complications of the diabetic foot syndrome and preferences of specialized care]Iu I Pavlov
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 164:19-22. 2005..A comparison of the results has shown that treatment and interdisciplinary observation in specialized institutions allowed to reduce lethality and number of high amputations more than two times...
- Hypothenar Hammer Syndrome: rare or underdiagnosed?M Abudakka
Department of Surgery, Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue BB10 2PQ, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:257-60. 2006..In this report we present a case of HHS and discuss the causes and pathogenesis of this syndrome. We review the incidence, clinical characteristics, differential diagnosis, investigation and treatment...
- Modified skew-flap below-knee amputationAmitabh Jitendra Dwyer
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Panjab, India
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:123-6. 2007....
- Digital ischemia due to essential thrombocythemia: a case reportAnastasios Papadonikolakis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Hand Surg Am 32:1053-7. 2007This report describes the case of a 34-year-old patient with essential thrombocythemia who presented with Raynaud's syndrome, was refractory to medical treatment, and developed progressive digital gangrene.
- Bilateral lower extremity gangrene requiring amputation associated with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia--a case reportBrian P Dickinson
University of California Los Angeles Division of Vascular Surgery, Gonda Goldschmied Vascular Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 40:161-4. 2006..Early and accurate diagnosis of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia requires a high clinical suspicion and may be present despite the absence of serum antibodies...
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome accompanying gangrene of the toes with peripheral arterial occlusion--a case reportSatoru Funahashi
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Saiseikai Yahata General Hospital, Kitakyushu, Japan
Angiology 57:231-4. 2006..underwent bilateral lumbar sympathectomies because of severe ischemia of the bilateral lower extremities with gangrene of the toes...
- [Angioplasty of the distal anastomosis und runoff arteries of occluded infrainguinal bypasses]F Sigala
Kplus Gefässzentrum Haan, Vaskuläre und Endovaskuläre Chirurgie, St Josef Krankenhaus Haan GmbH, Robert Koch Strasse 16, 42781 Haan
Zentralbl Chir 131:31-6. 2006....
- Preliminary results of subintimal angioplasty for limb salvage in lower extremities with severe chronic ischemia and limb-threatening ischemiaStuart I Myers
McGuire Research Institute McGuire VA Medical Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:1239-46. 2006..This study examined the hypothesis that superficial femoral artery (SFA) subintimal angioplasty (SI-PTA) can maintain limb salvage with minimal complications in patients with symptomatic occlusive arterial disease...
- BLOOD FACTORS AND PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2004..15, lower extremity gangrene, ulcer, revascularization, or amputation);, b) functional decline over 48 month follow-up...
- Development of a Geometric Forefoot Model: A tool for Clinical Decision MakingHoward Hillstrom; Fiscal Year: 2007..If not successfully treated this infection could result in gangrene and the necessity for amputation...
- Glucose monitoring using polarized lightGerard L Cote; Fiscal Year: 2010..and fewer secondary complications from diabetes mellitus, such as heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, gangrene, and blindness...
- Glucose monitoring using polarized lightGERARD COTE; Fiscal Year: 2007..and fewer secondary complications from diabetes mellitus, such as heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, gangrene, and blindness...
- Anaerobic Bacteria as Oncopathic Agents for Pancreatic CancerSavio Woo; Fiscal Year: 2009..toxin gene that encodes phospholipase c (Cp/plc-), and showed that the mutant strain can no longer cause gas gangrene in mice...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPatrick J Piggot; Fiscal Year: 2010..perfringens, C. botulinum and C. difficile, the causes of anthrax, tetanus, gas gangrene, botulism and colitis following antibiotic therapy, respectively...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPATRICK PIGGOT; Fiscal Year: 2009..perfringens, C. botulinum and C. difficile, the causes of anthrax, tetanus, gas gangrene, botulism and colitis following antibiotic therapy, respectively...
- Evaluation of a novel connexin-based peptide for the treatment of diabetic woundsGautam Ghatnekar; Fiscal Year: 2007..significantly impair the patient's quality of life, require prolonged hospitalization, and may involve infection, gangrene, and amputation...
- MOLECULAR & CELLULAR BASIS OF HOST-PATHOGEN INTERACTIONSGregory Bohach; Fiscal Year: 2004..epithelial cells; and 4) Phospholipase-C induced platelet-leukocyte interactions and defective diapedesis in gas gangrene. In addition to these four projects, our new virologist and cell biologist will submit research proposal to the ..
- STUDIES ON CLOSTRIDIUM SEPTICUM LETHAL TOXINRodney Tweten; Fiscal Year: 2003..The most devastating of these diseases is non-traumatic gas gangrene. The only lethal factor secreted by C. septicum is alpha toxin...
- HOMOCYSTEINE AND PROGRESSION OF ATHEROSCLEROSISLloyd Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1993..surgery, and clinical events indicating disease progression including stroke, transient ischemic attacks, gangrene, and ischemic rest pain. All primary and secondary outcome variables will be assessed in blinded fashion...
- Role of Progenitor Cells in Hindlimb RevascularizationDarren Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..Critical limb ischemia is a major clinical problem, and current therapies are often unable to prevent gangrene and amputation...
- Meeting on the Pathogenesis of ClostridiaABRAHAM SONENSHEIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..focus on membrane-active clostridial toxins, which are so important for histotoxic infections such as gas gangrene. In the fifth session, the economically important clostridial veterinary diseases will be discussed...
- MRI Correlates of Limb Ischemia in PVDThomas Floyd; Fiscal Year: 2007..PVD results in claudication, tissue ischemia, gangrene, and amputation when not treated aggressively...
- Toxin Gene Deleted C. perfringens as an Oral Delivery VectorYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..type A produces two extracellular toxins, alpha toxin (pic) and theta toxin (pfoA) which could cause gas gangrene and pose a potential danger when used as a vaccine vector. Secondly, the C...
- Non-traditional Cardiovascular Risk Factors in DM type 2Peter Reaven; Fiscal Year: 2004..congestive heart failure, invasive vascular therapy (coronary or peripheral), and amputation due to ischemic gangrene; Secondary: angina pectoris, transient ischemic attacks, and peripheral artery disease)...
- Mitochondriopathy of Chronically Ischemic MuscleIraklis Pipinos; Fiscal Year: 2007..The manifestations of PAD, including claudication and gangrene, result from decreased energy levels within the affected tissue...
- Safety and efficacy of rh-Lactoferrin in Diabetic UlcersJose Engelmayer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Current therapies are inadequate with diabetic patients often developing gangrene and needing amputation...
- Non-invasive Monitoring of Perfusion in DiabeticsCharles Welch; Fiscal Year: 2006..Infection, gangrene and amputation are common occurrences...