Genomes and Genes
Summary: Acute hemorrhage or excessive fluid loss resulting in HYPOVOLEMIA.
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- Bench-to-bedside review: latest results in hemorrhagic shockMartin K Angele
Department of Surgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Marchionistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Crit Care 12:218. 2008b>Hemorrhagic shock is a leading cause of death in trauma patients worldwide...
- Treatment of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock after liver trauma: fatal effects of fluid resuscitation versus improved outcome after vasopressinClaus Raedler
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Leopold Franzens University, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:1759-66, table of contents. 2004In a porcine model of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock, we evaluated the effects of vasopressin versus an equal volume of saline placebo versus fluid resuscitation on hemodynamic variables and short-term survival...
- Efferent vagal fibre stimulation blunts nuclear factor-kappaB activation and protects against hypovolemic hemorrhagic shockSalvatore Guarini
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Pharmacology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Circulation 107:1189-94. 2003..We investigated whether electrical stimulation (STIM) of efferent vagus nerves may suppress nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB activation and the inflammatory cascade in hemorrhagic (Hem) shock...
- Changes in the mesenteric lymph proteome induced by hemorrhagic shockAnubhav Mittal
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Shock 34:140-9. 2010..mesenteric lymph are now thought to contribute significantly to the development of distant organ failure in hemorrhagic shock. Despite the likely relevance of the protein composition of mesenteric lymph conditioned by hemorrhagic ..
- Surgical trauma and immunosuppression: pathophysiology and potential immunomodulatory approachesMartin K Angele
Center for Surgical Research and Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0019, USA
Langenbecks Arch Surg 390:333-41. 2005..Furthermore, the effect of those mediators on cell-mediated immune responses has been studied...
- Vasopressin, but not fluid resuscitation, enhances survival in a liver trauma model with uncontrolled and otherwise lethal hemorrhagic shock in pigsKarl H Stadlbauer
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
Anesthesiology 98:699-704. 2003The authors compared the effects of vasopressin fluid resuscitation on survival in a liver trauma model with uncontrolled and otherwise lethal hemorrhagic shock in pigs.
- The epidemiology and modern management of traumatic hemorrhage: US and international perspectivesDavid S Kauvar
United States Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, USA
Crit Care 9:S1-9. 2005..We conclude with a discussion of outcome measures for the injured patient within the context of the epidemiology of traumatic injury...
- Functional and morphological changes of the gut barrier during the restitution process after hemorrhagic shockJian xing Chang
The Second Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, 107 West Yanjiang Road, Guangzhou, 510120, Guangdong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:5485-91. 2005To investigate the functional, morphological changes of the gut barrier during the restitution process after hemorrhagic shock, and the regional differences of the large intestine and small intestine in response to ischemia/reperfusion ..
- Liver metabolomic changes identify biochemical pathways in hemorrhagic shockDrew M Scribner
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Surg Res 164:e131-9. 2010Despite ongoing advances in treatment, thousands of patients still die annually from complications due to hemorrhagic shock, a condition causing dramatic physiologic and metabolic changes as cells switch to anaerobic metabolism in ..
- Lipopolysaccharide-binding protein modulates hepatic damage and the inflammatory response after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitationMark Lehnert
Medical Univ of South Carolina, 280 Calhoun St, PO Box 250140, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 291:G456-63. 2006b>Hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation cause endotoxemia and hepatocellular damage...
- A peptide inhibitor of C-jun N-terminal kinase modulates hepatic damage and the inflammatory response after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitationMark Lehnert
Department of Trauma Surgery, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Shock 30:159-65. 2008..These changes are mediated, at least in part, by JNK. Therefore, JNK inhibition deserves further evaluation as a potential treatment option in patients after resuscitated blood loss...
- Resuscitation and transfusion principles for traumatic hemorrhagic shockPhilip C Spinella
University of Connecticut, Pediatric Intensivist, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Surgery, Connecticut Children s Medical Center, Hartford, CT 06106, USA
Blood Rev 23:231-40. 2009..has reinvigorated the debate on what the most optimal transfusion strategy is for patients with traumatic hemorrhagic shock. In this review we discuss recently described mechanisms that contribute to traumatic coagulopathy, which ..
- Trauma/hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph upregulates adhesion molecule expression and IL-6 production in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsSaraswati D Dayal
UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103, USA
Shock 17:491-5. 2002Trauma/hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) is associated with significant lung injury, which is mainly due to an inflammatory process, resulting from the local activation and subsequent interaction of endothelial cells and leukocytes...
- Bench-to-bedside review: oxygen debt and its metabolic correlates as quantifiers of the severity of hemorrhagic and post-traumatic shockDieter Rixen
Department of Trauma Orthopedic Surgery, University of Witten Herdecke at the Hospital Merheim, Cologne, Germany
Crit Care 9:441-53. 2005..dog/pig) and humans suggest that oxygen debt or its metabolic correlates may be more useful quantifiers of hemorrhagic shock than estimates of blood loss, volume replacement, blood pressure, or heart rate...
- Fluid resuscitation does not improve renal oxygenation during hemorrhagic shock in ratsMatthieu Legrand
Department of Translational Physiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 112:119-27. 2010The resuscitation strategy for hemorrhagic shock remains controversial, with the kidney being especially prone to hypoxia.
- Kupffer cell activation after no-flow ischemia versus hemorrhagic shockHartmut Jaeschke
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205 7199, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 33:210-9. 2002..However, the importance of Kupffer cells as source of reactive oxygen formation is unclear in a hemorrhagic shock model...
- Hemorrhagic shock induces NAD(P)H oxidase activation in neutrophils: role of HMGB1-TLR4 signalingJie Fan
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, and Division of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Immunol 178:6573-80. 2007b>Hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation (HS/R)-induced generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) plays an important role in posthemorrhage inflammation and tissue injury...
- Prevention of hemorrhagic shock-induced intestinal tissue injury by glutamine via heme oxygenase-1 inductionKana Umeda
Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Shock 31:40-9. 2009b>Hemorrhagic shock (HS) is an oxidative stress that causes intestinal tissue injury. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) is induced by oxidative stress and is thought to play an important role in the protection of tissues from oxidative injury...
- IL-6 is essential for development of gut barrier dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation in miceRunkuan Yang
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G621-9. 2003..to determine the role of IL-6 as a mediator of the alterations in gut barrier function that occur after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation (HS/R)...
- The role of hepatic type 1 plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) during murine hemorrhagic shockClaudio E Lagoa
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, S411 B South BST, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hepatology 42:390-9. 2005b>Hemorrhagic shock (HS) followed by resuscitation (HS-R) is characterized by profound physiological changes. Even if the patient survives the initial blood loss, these poorly understood changes can lead to morbidity...
- Hyperkalemia accompanies hemorrhagic shock and correlates with mortalityJoel Avancini Rocha Filho
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:591-7. 2009..evaluate the effects of terlipressin versus fluid resuscitation with normal saline, hypertonic saline or hypertonic-hyperoncotic hydroxyethyl starch, on hemodynamics, metabolics, blood loss and short-term survival in hemorrhagic shock.
- Protective effect of carbon monoxide inhalation on lung injury after hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation in ratsFumitoshi Kanagawa
Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Trauma 69:185-94. 2010b>Hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation (HSR) induces pulmonary inflammation that leads to acute lung injury. Carbon monoxide (CO), a by-product of heme catalysis, was shown to have potent cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory effects...
- Hypertonic saline resuscitation improves intestinal microcirculation in a rat model of hemorrhagic shockEl Rasheid Zakaria
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Surgery 140:579-87; discussion 587-8. 2006Conventional resuscitation (CR) from hemorrhagic shock (HS) often restores and maintains hemodynamics but fails to restore intestinal perfusion...
- The effect of aprotinin on brain ischemic-reperfusion injury after hemorrhagic shock in rats: an experimental studyOlcay Eser
Department of Neurosurgery, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
J Trauma 63:373-8. 2007..We aimed to demonstrate the positive effects of the serine protease inhibitor aprotinin on neural ischemia-reperfusion injury and apoptosis in a rat model...
- Employing vasopressin as an adjunct vasopressor in uncontrolled traumatic hemorrhagic shock. Three cases and a brief analysis of the literatureA C Krismer
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Anaesthesist 54:220-4. 2005Resuscitation of patients in hemorrhagic shock remains one of the most challenging aspects of trauma care...
- Dobutamine improves liver function after hemorrhagic shock through induction of heme oxygenase-1Alexander Raddatz
Klinik für Anaesthesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitat des Saarlandes, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:198-207. 2006Induction of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) protects the liver against reperfusion injury after hemorrhagic shock. Previous data suggest that the beta(1)-adrenoceptor agonist dobutamine induces HO-1 in hepatocytes.
- Effects of arginine vasopressin during resuscitation from hemorrhagic hypotension after traumatic brain injuryMasamitsu Sanui
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Trauma Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, FL 33136, USA
Crit Care Med 34:433-8. 2006..Two series of experiments were designed to evaluate whether early arginine vasopressin improves acute outcome following resuscitation from traumatic brain injury and severe hemorrhagic hypotension...
- Hemorrhagic shock induces endothelial cell apoptosis, which is mediated by factors contained in mesenteric lymphQi Lu
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Crit Care Med 32:2464-70. 2004Trauma-hemorrhagic shock is one of the leading causes of acute respiratory distress syndrome...
- Proteome and system ontology of hemorrhagic shock: exploring early constitutive changes in postshock mesenteric lymphErik D Peltz
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80204, USA
Surgery 146:347-57. 2009..We hypothesize that an unbiased inspection of the proteome of PSML will reveal previously unrecognized aberrations in systems biology provoked by hemorrhage-induced mesenteric IR injury in vivo...
- Arginine vasopressin, but not epinephrine, improves survival in uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock after liver trauma in pigsWolfgang G Voelckel
Departments of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
Crit Care Med 31:1160-5. 2003..epinephrine vs. saline placebo on hemodynamic variables, regional blood flow, and short-term survival in an animal model of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock and delayed fluid resuscitation.
- Impact of vasopressin on hemodynamic and metabolic function in the decompensatory phase of hemorrhagic shockKen B Johnson
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2304, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 20:167-72. 2006To explore how the potent vasoconstrictive features of vasopressin impact the rate of cardiovascular collapse and metabolic derangements associated with prolonged hemorrhagic shock.
- Splanchnic metabolism during gut ischemia and short-term endotoxin and hemorrhagic shock as evaluated by intravasal microdialysisTobias Backström
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Shock 21:572-8. 2004..180 followed by 120 min of reperfusion (n = 5); Group III, endotoxin shock for 5 h (n = 5); and Group IV, hemorrhagic shock for 180 min followed by re-transfusion of shed blood (n = 8)...
- Hypertonic saline resuscitation attenuates neutrophil lung sequestration and transmigration by diminishing leukocyte-endothelial interactions in a two-hit model of hemorrhagic shock and infectionJose L Pascual
Division of General Surgery, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Trauma 54:121-30; discussion 130-2. 2003Hypertonic saline (HTS) attenuates polymorphonuclear neutrophil (PMN)-mediated tissue injury after hemorrhagic shock. We hypothesized that HTS resuscitation reduces early in vivo endothelial cell (EC)-PMN interactions and late lung PMN ..
- Successful resuscitation of a traumatic cardiac arrest victim in hemorrhagic shock with vasopressin: a case report and brief review of the literatureThorsten Haas
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Trauma 57:177-9. 2004
- Hypertonic resuscitation modulates the inflammatory response in patients with traumatic hemorrhagic shockEileen M Bulger
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Ann Surg 245:635-41. 2007..To determine the effect of resuscitation with hypertonic saline/dextran (HSD) on the innate immune response after injury...
- D-lactate increases pulmonary apoptosis by restricting phosphorylation of bad and eNOS in a rat model of hemorrhagic shockAmin Jaskille
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
J Trauma 57:262-69; discussion 269-70. 2004..These modified solutions however alter the function of apoptotic proteins through an unknown mechanism. We postulated that DL-LR induces apoptosis by restricting the phosphorylation of key apoptotic proteins...
- Improved survival time with combined early blood transfusion and fluid administration in uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock in ratsAkira Takasu
Department of Traumatology and Critical Care Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
J Trauma 68:312-6. 2010..To test whether early blood administration combined with crystalloid solution infusion may prolong survival in a clinically relevant model of ongoing uncontrolled life-threatening hemorrhage...
- Reperfusion does not induce oxidative stress but sustained endoplasmic reticulum stress in livers of rats subjected to traumatic-hemorrhagic shockJohanna Catharina Duvigneau
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinaerplatz 1, 1210 Vienna, Austria
Shock 33:289-98. 2010Oxidative stress is believed to accompany reperfusion and to mediate dysfunction of the liver after traumatic-hemorrhagic shock (THS). Recently, endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress has been suggested as an additional factor...
- The anti-inflammatory effects of ulinastatin in trauma patients with hemorrhagic shockKyung hye Park
Department of Emergency Medicine, Jeju National University Hospital, Jeju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:128-34. 2010..alpha (TNF-alpha) and interleukin 6 (IL-6), and its effects on the prognosis of patients with traumatic hemorrhagic shock. Nineteen patients who visited the emergency department for traumatic hemorrhagic shock were enrolled...
- Silencing of Fas, but not caspase-8, in lung epithelial cells ameliorates pulmonary apoptosis, inflammation, and neutrophil influx after hemorrhagic shock and sepsisMario Perl
Shock Trauma Research Laboratories, Division of Surgical Research, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Am J Pathol 167:1545-59. 2005..Mice subjected to hemorrhagic shock and sepsis received either Fas-, caspase-8-, or control-siRNA intratracheally 4 hours after hemorrhage...
- Current concepts in hemorrhagic shockRichard P Dutton
University of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Anesthesiol Clin 25:23-34, viii. 2007Treatment of hemorrhagic shock continues to evolve. Surgically, the concept of "damage control" has become the standard, with shorter operations focused on the control of life-threatening injuries...
- Trauma-hemorrhagic shock-induced red blood cell damage leads to decreased microcirculatory blood flowGeorge W Machiedo
Department of Surgery, UMD New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Crit Care Med 37:1000-10. 2009To test the hypothesis that trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS)-induced changes in red blood cells (RBC) contribute to the reduction of blood flow in distant organs.
- Hemorrhagic shock induced up-regulation of P-selectin expression is mediated by factors in mesenteric lymph and blunted by mesenteric lymph duct interruptionC A Adams
Department of Surgery, UMD-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Trauma 51:625-31; discussion 631-2. 2001..mesenteric lymph duct interruption prevents lung injury and decreases lung neutrophil sequestration after hemorrhagic shock (HS)...
- [Assessment of stroke volume variation and intrathoracic blood volume index on the responsiveness to volume loading in mechanically ventilated canine with hemorrhagic shock]Song Qiao Liu
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Zhong Da Hospital and School of Clinical Medicine, Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 44:1216-9. 2006To assess the significance of stroke volume variation (SVV) and intrathoracic blood volume index (ITBI) on the responsiveness to volume loading in mechanically ventilated canine with hemorrhagic shock.
- Small-volume fluid resuscitation with hypertonic saline prevents inflammation but not mortality in a rat model of hemorrhagic shockSoheyl Bahrami
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology, Donaueschingenstrasse 13, A 1200, Vienna, Austria
Shock 25:283-9. 2006..Here, we tested the utility of permissive hypotensive resuscitation with hypertonic fluids in a rat model of hemorrhagic shock. Animals were subjected to massive hemorrhage [mean arterial pressure (MAP) = 30 - 35 mmHg for 2 h until ..
- Exogenous nitric oxide donor and related compounds protect against lung inflammatory response after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitationRoberto Anaya-Prado
Borgess Research Institute, Trauma, Surgery Research Sciences and Molecular Biology, the Departments of Surgery and Research, Michigan State University Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
J Trauma 57:980-8. 2004Resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock triggers an inflammatory response characterized by upregulation of cytokine and adhesion molecule expression, increased leukocyte activity, and accumulation of polymorphonuclear neutrophils in a ..
- Hemorrhagic shock induces an S 100 B increase associated with shock severityLinda E Pelinka
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology and Research Center of the Allgemeine Unfallversicherungsanstalt, Vienna, Austria
Shock 19:422-6. 2003..clinical study, we found an S 100 B increase within the first 24 h in patients with multiple trauma and hemorrhagic shock but without cerebral trauma...
- Twenty-five percent albumin prevents lung injury following shock/resuscitationKinga A Powers
Department of Surgery, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Crit Care Med 31:2355-63. 2003....
- Hypotensive resuscitation during active hemorrhage: impact on in-hospital mortalityRichard P Dutton
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and the Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Trauma 52:1141-6. 2002..We hypothesized that fluid resuscitation titrated to a lower than normal SBP during the period of active hemorrhage would improve survival in trauma patients presenting to the hospital in hemorrhagic shock.
- Glucosamine administration improves survival rate after severe hemorrhagic shock combined with trauma in ratsLaszlo G Nöt
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0005, USA
Shock 28:345-52. 2007..Furthermore, the increase in mean arterial pressure may suggest a vasoactive and/or positive inotropic effect of glucosamine in hypovolemic shock...
- Hepatic transcription factor activation and proinflammatory mediator production is attenuated by hypertonic saline and pentoxifylline resuscitation after hemorrhagic shockJessica Deree
Division of Trauma and Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of California San Diego, USA
J Trauma 64:1230-8; discussion 1238-9. 2008..We hypothesized that the attenuation in hepatic injury observed with HSPTX is associated with the reduction of transcription factor activation and proinflammatory mediator production when compared with Ringer's lactate (RL)...
- Hyperoxic ventilation reduces six-hour mortality after partial fluid resuscitation from hemorrhagic shockJens Meier
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Control, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Shock 22:240-7. 2004..fluid infusion therapy could also restore adequate tissue oxygenation and prevent death in otherwise lethal hemorrhagic shock. In 14 anesthetized pigs ventilated on room air (Fio(2) 0...
- Hepatoprotection and lethality rescue by histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid in fatal hemorrhagic shockEarl R Gonzales
Department of Surgery, Trauma Research and Readiness Institute for Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
J Trauma 65:554-65. 2008..Therefore, we examined protective effects of VPA administration in lethal hemorrhage and analyzed the patterns of hepatic histone acetylation...
- Modulation of mesenteric lymph flow and composition by direct peritoneal resuscitation from hemorrhagic shockPaul J Matheson
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Arch Surg 144:625-34. 2009Traditional clinical resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock that focuses on restoring central hemodynamic function does not adequately perfuse the gut...
- Histone deacetylase as therapeutic target in a rodent model of hemorrhagic shock: effect of different resuscitation strategies on lung and liverTom Lin
Department of Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Surgery 141:784-94. 2007....
- Mild hypothermia during hemorrhagic shock in rats improves survival without significant effects on inflammatory responsesXianren Wu
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 31:195-202. 2003To explore the hypothesis that the survival benefit of mild, therapeutic hypothermia during hemorrhagic shock is associated with inhibition of lipid peroxidation and the acute inflammatory response.
- Sympathetic nerve activity and heart rate variability during severe hemorrhagic shock in sheepAndriy I Batchinsky
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, 3400 Rawley E Chambers Avenue, Building 3611, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234 6315, USA
Auton Neurosci 136:43-51. 2007In this study we explored direct and indirect measures of autonomic nervous system function, as well as changes in cardiovascular complexity, during hemorrhagic shock (HS).
- Elevated serum pancreatic enzyme levels after hemorrhagic shock predict organ failure and deathDarren J Malinoski
Division of Trauma and Critical Care Surgery, UCI Medical Center, 333 City Boulevard West, Suite 705, Orange, CA 92868, USA
J Trauma 67:445-9. 2009..pancreatic enzymes have been shown in animal models to be associated with multiple organ failure after hemorrhagic shock, independent of pancreatitis...
- Hepatic and pulmonary apoptosis after hemorrhagic shock in swine can be reduced through modifications of conventional Ringer's solutionEduardo C Ayuste
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 60:52-63. 2006..Our hypothesis was that in a clinically relevant large animal model of hemorrhage, resuscitation with racemic lactated Ringer's solution would induce cellular apoptosis, which can be attenuated by elimination of d-lactate...
- Intravenous injection of trauma-hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph causes lung injury that is dependent upon activation of the inducible nitric oxide synthase pathwayMaheswari Senthil
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Ann Surg 246:822-30. 2007To test the hypothesis that gut-derived factors carried in trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) lymph is sufficient to induce lung injury...
- Protective effects of fresh frozen plasma on vascular endothelial permeability, coagulation, and resuscitation after hemorrhagic shock are time dependent and diminish between days 0 and 5 after thawShibani Pati
Department of Surgery and Center for Translational Injury Research, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Trauma 69:S55-63. 2010..shown that resuscitation with fresh frozen plasma (FFP) is associated with improved outcome after severe hemorrhagic shock (HS)...
- Early use of vasopressors after injury: caution before constrictionJason L Sperry
Division of Burn, Trauma, Critical Care, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Trauma 64:9-14. 2008..We sought to characterize early vasopressor (EV) use and aggressive early crystalloid resuscitation (ECR) and their association with mortality in severely injured patients...
- PKC plays an important mediated effect in arginine vasopressin induced restoration of vascular responsiveness and calcium sensitization following hemorrhagic shock in ratsGuangming Yang
State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burns and Combined Injury, The 2nd Department of Research Institute of Surgery, Daping Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 628:148-54. 2010..vasopressin (AVP)-induced restoration of vascular responsiveness and calcium sensitization following hemorrhagic shock. Using both isolated superior mesenteric artery from hemorrhagic shock rats and hypoxia-treated vascular ..
- Evolution in damage control for exsanguinating penetrating abdominal injuryJ W Johnson
Department of Surgery, Division of Traumatology and Surgical Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Trauma 51:261-9; discussion 269-71. 2001..CONCLUSION: Continued application of DC principles has led to improved survival with PAI. Better control of temperature, experience with the open abdomen, and intensive care unit care may be causative...
- Is resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock limited by blood oxygen-carrying capacity or blood viscosity?Pedro Cabrales
La Jolla Bioengineering Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Shock 27:380-9. 2007Systemic and microvascular hemodynamic responses to volume restoration from hemorrhagic shock were studied in the hamster window chamber model to determine the significance of blood rheological and oxygen transport properties...
- Role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase on renal dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock in ratsHiroaki Sato
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu 807 8555, Japan
Shock 24:488-94. 2005b>Hemorrhagic shock has been reported to induce renal dysfunction as a consequence of different kinds of local inflammatory response...
- Effects of norepinephrine on static and dynamic preload indicators in experimental hemorrhagic shockSemir Nouira
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Fattouma Bourguiba University Hospital, Monastir 5000, Tunisia
Crit Care Med 33:2339-43. 2005..the effect of norepinephrine on static (right atrial pressure, pulmonary artery occlusion pressure ) and dynamic (pulse pressure variation and arterial systolic pressure variation) preload indicators in experimental hemorrhagic shock.
- DSM-RX78, a new phosphodiesterase inhibitor, suppresses superoxide anion production in activated human neutrophils and attenuates hemorrhagic shock-induced lung injury in ratsHuang Ping Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Biochem Pharmacol 78:983-92. 2009Neutrophils are activated following hemorrhagic shock and the accumulation of neutrophils in the lung is associated with lung injury...
- Hemorrhagic shock after experimental traumatic brain injury in mice: effect on neuronal deathAlia Marie Dennis
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3434 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Neurotrauma 26:889-99. 2009Traumatic brain injury (TBI) from blast injury is often complicated by hemorrhagic shock (HS) in victims of terrorist attacks...
- Trauma-hemorrhagic shock-induced pulmonary epithelial and endothelial cell injury utilizes different programmed cell death signaling pathwaysDimtrios Barlos
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296:L404-17. 2009Intestinal ischemia after trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) results in gut barrier dysfunction and the production/release of biologically active and tissue injurious factors in the mesenteric lymph, which, in turn, causes acute lung injury ..
- Reactive oxygen species as mediators of organ dysfunction caused by sepsis, acute respiratory distress syndrome, or hemorrhagic shock: potential benefits of resuscitation with Ringer's ethyl pyruvate solutionMitchell P Fink
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5:167-74. 2002..Ethyl pyruvate, a simple derivative of pyruvic acid, has been shown to be efficacious in several animal models of critical illness, and warrants further evaluation in this regard...
- The cellular, metabolic, and systemic consequences of aggressive fluid resuscitation strategiesBryan A Cotton
Department of General Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Shock 26:115-21. 2006..Early resuscitation of hemorrhagic shock with predominately saline-based regimens has been associated with cardiac dysfunction and lower cardiac ..
- Tissue hypoxia activates JNK in the liver during hemorrhagic shockCarol A McCloskey
Department of General Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Shock 22:380-6. 2004The earliest signaling pathways responsible for initiating the systemic response to hemorrhagic shock (HS) remain poorly characterized...
- Vasopressin for hemorrhagic shock management: revisiting the potential value in civilian and combat casualty careWolfgang G Voelckel
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, AUVA Trauma Center Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
J Trauma 69:S69-74. 2010..However, the significance of AVP as a rescue medication for life-threatening hemorrhage has yet to be proven...
- Strain-specific effects of probiotics on gut barrier integrity following hemorrhagic shockMisha D Luyer
Department of Surgery, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 73:3686-92. 2005..strains selected for their pathogen exclusion properties on intestinal barrier integrity following hemorrhagic shock. Additionally, the responsiveness of the macrophage cell line RAW 264...
- Exogenous nitric oxide induces protection during hemorrhagic shockPedro Cabrales
La Jolla Bioengineering Institute, 505 Coast Boulevard South Suite 405, La Jolla, CA 92037, United States
Resuscitation 80:707-12. 2009..the systemic and microvascular hemodynamic changes related to increased nitric oxide (NO) availability during the early phase of hemorrhagic shock. Hemodynamic responses to hemorrhagic shock were studied in the hamster window chamber.
- Targeted resuscitation strategies after injuryRobert N Bilkovski
Department of Emergency Medicine, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 10:529-38. 2004..The rapid identification and restoration of oxygen debt are central to the resuscitation of the critically ill patient, be it the result of sepsis or trauma...
- Hemorrhagic shock-induced vascular hyporeactivity in the rat: relationship to gene expression of nitric oxide synthase, endothelin-1, and select cytokines in corresponding organsLiang Ming Liu
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Surg Res 125:128-36. 2005..To evaluate possible mechanisms involved, the present study investigated the gene expression of iNOS, eNOS, IL-1beta, IL-6, TNF-alpha, and endothelin-1 in the corresponding organs, and the roles of nitric oxide (NO) and endothelin (ET)...
- Improved survival after resuscitation with norepinephrine in a murine model of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shockMarie Pierre Poloujadoff
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 13, France
Anesthesiology 107:591-6. 2007..However, studies on resuscitation using norepinephrine in uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock are lacking...
- Hypertension-induced dysfunction of circulation in hemorrhagic shockZ Radisavljevic
Shock Trauma Institute, School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Am J Hypertens 8:761-7. 1995..concentration of Na+, K+, glucose, and urea were studied in patients with essential hypertension during hemorrhagic shock. All 15 patients had established essential hypertension, and all had massive hemorrhage and shock...
- IL-10 administration attenuates pulmonary neutrophil infiltration and alters pulmonary iNOS activation following hemorrhagic shockP Kobbe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Inflamm Res 58:170-4. 2009Several studies report immuno-modulatory effects of endogenous IL-10 after trauma. This study investigates the effect of IL-10 administration on systemic and pulmonary inflammation in hemorrhagic shock.
- S-Nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine (SNAP) during hemorrhagic shock improves mortality as a result of recovery from vascular hyporeactivityS Sato
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Anesth Analg 90:362-8. 2000Nitric oxide donors are protective against hemorrhagic shock (HS). However, no detailed investigation has been performed. We investigated this mechanism using S-nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine (SNAP)...
- Recombinant humanized monoclonal antibody against CD18 (rhuMAb CD18) in traumatic hemorrhagic shock: results of a phase II clinical trial. Traumatic Shock GroupP Rhee
Trauma Services, Washington Hospital Center, DC 20010, USA
J Trauma 49:611-9; discussion 619-20. 2000Activated neutrophils have been shown to play a pivotal role in resuscitation injury after traumatic hemorrhagic shock. Blocking the adhesion of neutrophils with a recombinant humanized monoclonal antibody against CD18 (rhuMAb CD18) may ..
- Emerging paradigm: toll-like receptor 4-sentinel for the detection of tissue damageKevin P Mollen
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Shock 26:430-7. 2006..a body of literature has evolved describing a key role for TLRs in acute injury using rodent models of hemorrhagic shock, ischemia and reperfusion, tissue trauma and wound repair, and various toxic exposures...
- Protective role of endogenous carbon monoxide in hepatic microcirculatory dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock in ratsB H Pannen
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, University of Freiburg, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Invest 102:1220-8. 1998..perfusion, mitochondrial redox state, and bile production in the isolated perfused rat liver after hemorrhagic shock. Administration of tin protoporphyrin-IX (50 microM), a specific inhibitor of the CO generating enzyme heme ..
- Cell protective mechanism of valproic acid in lethal hemorrhagic shockYongqing Li
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma, Emergency Surgery and Surgical Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Surgery 144:217-24. 2008..demonstrated that valproic acid (VPA), a histone deacetylase inhibitor, can improve animal survival after hemorrhagic shock and protect neurons from hypoxia-induced apoptosis...
- Role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1beta on lung dysfunction following hemorrhagic shock in ratsHiroaki Sato
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan
Med Sci Monit 14:BR79-87. 2008b>Hemorrhagic shock occasionally causes a fatal outcome following an outbreak of lung dysfunction, but the precise mechanism has not been clearly elucidated...
- Hemorrhagic shock augments lung endothelial cell activation: role of temporal alterations of TLR4 and TLR2Yuehua Li
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R1670-80. 2009b>Hemorrhagic shock (HS) due to major trauma predisposes the host to the development of acute lung inflammation and injury...
- DCL-Hb for trauma patients with severe hemorrhagic shock: the European "On-Scene" multicenter studyThoralf Kerner
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite, Humboldt Universitat, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Intensive Care Med 29:378-85. 2003A major cause of death in patients with severe hemorrhagic shock following trauma is the subsequent occurrence of multiple organ failure due to tissue hypoxia...
- Encapsulated Bifidobacteria reduced bacterial translocation in rats following hemorrhagic shock and resuscitationXiangcai Ruan
Department of Vascular Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yet Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Nutrition 23:754-61. 2007The aim of the present study was to determine the effects of peroral encapsulated Bifidobacteria on intestinal microflora, bacterial translocation (BT), plasma endotoxin, and ileal villi injury in a rat model of hemorrhagic shock.
- Heme arginate pretreatment attenuates pulmonary NF-kappaB and AP-1 activation induced by hemorrhagic shock via heme oxygenase-1 inductionT Sasaki
Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Japan
Med Chem 2:271-4. 2006b>Hemorrhagic shock followed by resuscitation (HSR) induces oxidative stress that leads to acute lung injury...
- [Hemorrheological changes in irreversible hemorrhagic shock]Lian Zhao
Institute of Transfusion Medicine, Academy of Military Medical Science, Beijing 100850, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 20:159-62. 2008To observe the characteristics of changes in hemorheology at the early stage of irreversible hemorrhagic shock in a rodent model.
- [Vasopressin for therapy of persistent traumatic hemorrhagic shock: The VITRIS.at study]H G Lienhart
Univ Klinik für Anästhesie und Allg Intensivmedizin, Medizinische Universitat Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020, Innsbruck, Osterreich
Anaesthesist 56:145-8, 150. 2007While fluid management is established in controlled hemorrhagic shock, its use in uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock is being controversially discussed, because it may worsen bleeding...
- Hyperspectral imaging: a new approach to the diagnosis of hemorrhagic shockLeopoldo C Cancio
US Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234 6315, USA
J Trauma 60:1087-95. 2006Skin color changes and mottling are frequently described signs of hemorrhagic shock (HEM)...
- [Role of pancreatic enzymes in gut injury secondary to trauma/hemorrhagic shock in rats]Han Ping Shi
Department of Surgery, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 24:1137-9. 2004To test the hypothesis that pancreatic digestive enzymes are involved in trauma/hemorrhagic shock (T/HS)-induced intestinal injury.
- The splenectomized dog: do we have to say farewell to an established hemorrhagic shock model?José Reinaldo Cerqueira Braz
Anesth Analg 100:1867; author reply 1867. 2005
- Role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase on cardiac dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock in ratsHiroaki Sato
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, Kitakyushu, Japan
Shock 28:291-9. 2007Cardiac dysfunction is a well-known complication of hemorrhagic shock as a consequence of local inflammatory response...
- [Blood lactate concentrations as predictors of outcome in serious hemorrhagic shock patients]Yutaka Yamazaki
Department of Anesthesia, Yuri Kumiai General Hospital, Yurihonjo
Masui 55:699-703. 2006There is no useful predictor of treatment preventing progress from hemorrhagic shock to systemic inflammatory response syndrome or disseminated intravascular coagulation...
- Detrimental effects of rapid fluid resuscitation on hepatocellular function and survival after hemorrhagic shockKaushal J Shah
Department of Surgery, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Shock 18:242-7. 2002..that aggressive intravenous fluid resuscitation would aggravate tissue injury in a fixed-volume model of hemorrhagic shock. Unanesthetized chronically prepared male rats were hemorrhaged 33-36 mL/kg for 2.5 h...
- Small volume resuscitation with 3% hypertonic saline solution decrease inflammatory response and attenuates end organ damage after controlled hemorrhagic shockRodrigo Vincenzi
Research Division, InCor, University of Sao Paulo, School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Surg 198:407-14. 2009..HS) for the treatment of traumatic brain injury; however, few studies have analyzed the effects of 3% hemorrhagic shock during hemorrhagic shock...
- Hypertonic saline improves tissue oxygenation and reduces systemic and pulmonary inflammatory response caused by hemorrhagic shockValter Gurfinkel
Department of Clinical Emergencies, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Trauma 54:1137-45. 2003The treatment of hemorrhagic shock (HeS) with large volumes of fluid does not ensure an adequate peripheral perfusion or prevent inflammatory activation despite hemodynamic recovery...
- Multi-targeted Countermeasures against Acute and Delayed Effects of OP ExposureJohn A Butera; Fiscal Year: 2013..Inhibitors of PARP-1 have been investigated pre-clinically and clinically for cardiac ischemia, hemorrhagic shock syndrome, stroke, traumatic CNS injury, diabetes, inflammation, and cancer...
- Prevention of Acute Lung Injury by IL-6 activated STAT3Ana Moran; Fiscal Year: 2010Trauma is accompanied frequently by hemorrhagic shock and is the leading cause of death for those under 45 years old in the United States...
- Triggers of Abruptio Placentae - A Case Crossover Study of an Ischemic PlacentalMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..association with adverse outcomes in newborns and mothers including preterm delivery, fetal death, maternal hemorrhagic shock, and renal failure...
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulator for ResuscitationKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2011..survival and neurological outcome without adverse effects when using the ITPR to treat cardiac arrest and hemorrhagic shock. Recent pilot studies in humans with intra-operative hypotension provide support for the potential for this ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF HEMORRHAGIC SHOCKTimothy R Billiar; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose that one of the keys to understanding organ injury resulting from hemorrhagic shock is to characterize the earliest molecular events leading to the initiation and propagation of inflammatory ..
- HMG in Post Operative and Traumatic StressKevin J Tracey; Fiscal Year: 2013..models including severe sepsis, arthritis, pancreatitis, burn injury, acute lung injury, cerebral ischemia, hemorrhagic shock, colitis, and other inflammation and injury syndromes...
- Heme Oxygenase Enzymes/Carbon Monoxide in Hepatic Dysfunction from hemorrhageBRIAN SCOTT ZUCKERBRAUN; Fiscal Year: 2013..role and mechanism(s) of HO/CO in the regulation of respiration to protect against organ dysfunction from hemorrhagic shock. Specific Aim II...
- Mechanisms of trauma and hemorrhage-induced impairment of innate immunityXiao Di Tan; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Trauma and hemorrhagic shock are critical surgical conditions that are managed daily by surgeons and physicians in VA medical centers...
- Regulation of Intestinal Epithelial Tight Junction BarrierThomas Y Ma; Fiscal Year: 2011..diarrheal syndromes) and systemic inflammatory conditions (including alcoholic liver disease, heat stroke, hemorrhagic shock, and critically ill)...
- Resuscitation using novel impedance threshold devices in pediatricsKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2013..pressure, even without fluid resuscitation, improves hemodynamic parameters and outcome in adult porcine hemorrhagic shock. Vascular biology, physiology, and tissue injury mechanisms change as the child matures from infancy through ..
- Keratin biomaterial-based fluid for trauma resuscitationLUKE BURNETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..Studies in hemorrhagic shock show that survival is primarily determined by the maintenance of functional capillary density (FCD) and ..
- A NEW TECHNIQUE FOR TREATING HEMORRHAGIC SHOCKSufan Chien; Fiscal Year: 2013..relationship between tissue high-energy phosphate supplementation and tissue necrosis and apoptosis during hemorrhagic shock. In most western countries, trauma/hemorrhage is the leading cause of death up to the age of 40...
- Improvement of Organ Function after Severe HypovolemiaPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical management of hemorrhagic shock relies on massive and rapid infusion of fluids to maintain blood pressure...
- Role of STAT3 in the pathogenesis of Inflammatory Bowel DiseasePrema Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mice expressing only Stat3[unreadable] are hyper-responsive to bacterial LPS challenge and are resistant to hemorrhagic shock-induced apoptosis of parenchymal cells within the heart, lung, and liver suggesting that Stat3[unreadable] ..
- Biologic Evaluation of Liposome-Encapsulated HemoglobinVibhudutta Awasthi; Fiscal Year: 2013..survival and cerebral metabol- ism, and serves as a long-circulating and non-toxic oxygen carrier in hemorrhagic shock. The specific aims are to assess: 1) Survival and cerebral metabolism in a rat model of 40% hemorrhage, 2) ..
- Autophagy in liver injuryJae Sung Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..precipitating ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury which commonly occurs during liver surgery, trauma, hemorrhagic shock and liver transplantation...
- Carbon Monoxide Therapy to Prevent Circulatory Collapse and Shock From HemorrhageBRIAN SCOTT ZUCKERBRAUN; Fiscal Year: 2013..application is to study the use of CO as a therapeutic agent and resuscitative adjunct in the treatment of hemorrhagic shock in pre-clinical models...
- Caspase-1 and Inflammasome Activation in Traumahemorrhagic ShockMelanie J Scott; Fiscal Year: 2013..the inflammatory response and its effects on cellular death and survival pathways following trauma and hemorrhagic shock (HS)...
- Mesenteric Lymph Linking Gut & Distant Organ InjuryEdwin A Deitch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Consequently, understanding the mechanisms by which trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) leads to MODS is of major health importance in this country...
- Induced Reactive Oxygen Species in a 3-D Human Pancreatitis Model in VitroGregory P Botta; Fiscal Year: 2013..ROS can cause a severe inflammatory reaction instigating severe pain, hemorrhagic shock, acute respiratory distress, or death, however, no in vitro human model yet exists to understand this ..
- Impact of Alcohol on Hemorrhagic Shock-Induced Microvascular DysfunctionJerome W Breslin; Fiscal Year: 2012..in the United States remains associated with greater morbidity and mortality from traumatic injury and hemorrhagic shock. Trauma victims with severe hemorrhage have aggravated tissue injury from ischemia-reperfusion injury in the ..
- Modulation of Acetylation in the Treatment of Lethal Hemorrhagic ShockHasan B Alam; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, conventional resuscitation can exacerbate cellular injury caused by hemorrhagic shock. At a sub-cellular level, hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation can alter gene expression, and impair the ..
- Mechanisms of age-related inflammatory response in hemorrhagic shockBasilia Zingarelli; Fiscal Year: 2011..We also have found that mature rats, when subjected to hemorrhagic shock, exhibit a more pronounced lung and liver injury when compared with young rats...
- Development of PEG Hemoglobin blood substitute to treat hemorrhagic shockAbe Abuchowski; Fiscal Year: 2009..Prolong Pharmaceuticals has developed a unique HBOC product for the treatment of severe hemorrhagic shock consisting of a combination of PEGylated bovine hemoglobin (PEG-Hb) and hypertonic saline (HS)...
- Digestive Enzymes and Microvascular Inflammation in ShockGeert W Schmid-Schoenbein; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is our hypothesis that in hemorrhagic shock the protective barrier normally provided by the brush border epithelium is compromised and allows access of ..
- Dual role of complement in post-ischemic inflammation and recoveryStephen Tomlinson; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., hemorrhagic shock, severe burns, sepsis, myocardial infarction, stroke, transplant dysfunction/rejection)...
- The Impact of Vasopressin on Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Hemorrhagic ShockCARRIE ADELIA SIMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Scientist Development Award will investigate the development of mitochondrial dysfunction in late stage hemorrhagic shock and the potential benefit of vasopressin during resuscitation...
- Overall Application: Trauma Primes CellsAnirban Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..our MOF databases have grown substantially to yield novel insights into fundamental problems inherent to (I) hemorrhagic shock, (II), transfusion (III), mechanisms of anti-inflammatory resuscitation...
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulation for the Treatment of Septic ShockKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2009..Pressure Regulation (IPR) recently developed and shown to increase circulation and survival rates in hemorrhagic shock and cardiac arrest, during the early resuscitation phase of sepsis...
- Co-Inhibitory Molecules and the Pathology of Indirect-Acute Lung InjuryAlfred Ayala; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this respect, utilizing our dual insult model of iALI, resulting from hemorrhagic shock (Hem;a 'priming'insult) followed by polymicrobial septic challenge (CLP;'triggering'..
- A New Therapy for Bowel Ischemia-Reperfusion InjuryAsha Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: Intestinal ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) is a common clinical problem in the settings of sepsis, hemorrhagic shock, vascular surgery and small bowel transplantation...
- Rational Design of Lipidic Vectors for Mitochondria-Targeted AntioxidantsSong Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therapeutic effects of these novel compounds have been extensively demonstrated in rat hemorrhagic shock model and various radiation models in mice...
- Shock, trauma and gut origin of sepsisEdwin A Deitch; Fiscal Year: 2012..the mesenteric lymph are key factors in the pathogenesis of acute lung injury in animals subjected to trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS)...
- Regulatory Mechanisms for Resolution of Inflammatory Microvascular LeakageJerome W Breslin; Fiscal Year: 2013..permeable form of Rnd3, a Rho family small GTPase, reduces microvascular hyperpermeability in a rat model of hemorrhagic shock. We also have observed with live cell imaging of endothelial cells that lamellipodia formation and turnover ..
- Cell Priming, Receptor Cross-talk and Acute Lung InjuryMark A Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hemorrhagic shock (HS) resulting from severe trauma promotes the development of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) by activating and priming the inflammatory process through as of yet ..
- Alcohol intoxication &Shock;specific needs &targeted resuscitation strategiesJesse Sulzer; Fiscal Year: 2012..studies from our lab and others have consistently demonstrated impaired counterregulatory response to hemorrhagic shock (HS) during acute alcohol intoxication (AAI), as evidenced by greater hypotension in response to blood loss, ..
- Adjunctive Peritoneal Resuscitation in Hemorrhagic ShockJason Wayne Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..achieve his goal of becoming an independent investigator focusing on clinical and translational research in hemorrhagic shock and inflammation. Dr...
- Apoptotic Signaling Induces Hyperpermeability Following Hemorrhagic ShockEd W Childs; Fiscal Year: 2010..regulation of endothelial cell-cell adherens junctions to prevent microvascular hyperpermeability following hemorrhagic shock. Fluid loss from the circulation is a major factor in compromising cardiovascular homeostasis following ..
- Resveratrol as an adjunct to resuscitation fluid following hemorrhage injuryRAGHAVAN PILLAI RAJU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our hypothesis is that resveratrol reduces organ injury following hemorrhagic shock and therefore it can be used as an adjunct to resuscitation fluid...
- Effects of Damage Control Resuscitation on the Inflammatory Response to HemorrhagTimothy A Pritts; Fiscal Year: 2012..long term research goals are to become an independent surgeon scientist investigating the pathophysiology of hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation...
- Anemia and the Chronic Hyperadrenergic State following Major TraumaAlicia M Mohr; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our overall goal is to develop treatment strategies for this persistent anemia. Injury and hemorrhagic shock worsen bone marrow (BM) dysfunction and inhibit the differentiation of hematopoietic progenitor cells (HPC) ..
- Device for Measuring Capillary Blood Flow and the Onset of ShockDavid E Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The onset of hemorrhagic shock is a major cause of death in emergency departments and trauma centers. Currently there is no clinically accepted quantitative monitor of the onset of hemorrhagic shock...
- TRAINING IN TRAUMA AND SEPSIS RESEARCHTimothy R Billiar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Much of the research is supported by a P50 Trauma Center Grant entitled "The Molecular Biology of Hemorrhagic Shock"...
- A Real-Time, Minimally Invasive Monitoring System for Early Detection of ShockDavid F Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..These measurements can be used to predict the early onset of hemorrhagic shock, quantify the efficacy of cardiac resuscitation, and improve the standard of care for critically ill ..
- Postdoctoral Training Program in Trauma and Hemorrhagic ShockJohn B Holcomb; Fiscal Year: 2013..focus of this training grant is described in the title, "Postdoctoral Training Program in Trauma and Hemorrhagic Shock," and has led to 148 publications in peer-reviewed journals, as well as another 60 published abstracts in ..
- Direct Peritoneal Resuscitation from Hypovolemic ShockRichard Garrison; Fiscal Year: 2007The pathophysiology of Hemorrhagic shock consists of disruption of the cellular metabolic functions endothelial barrier properties, redistribution of body fluids and electrolytes, a systemic inflammatory response, and a deleterious ..
- Novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor for hemorrhagic shockPal Pacher; Fiscal Year: 2001..intended to establish a new pharmacologic approach to save the lives of severely injured trauma victims with hemorrhagic shock. Inhibition of the purine degradative enzyme xanthine oxidase (XO) shows clear benefit in experimental in ..
- INTRAVENOUS FLUID THERAPY AND HEAD INJURYSteven Shackford; Fiscal Year: 1990..pressure, cerbral blood flow, cerebral electrical activity and cerebral water content in a procine model of hemorrhagic shock and head injury...
- MECHANISMS OF POST-INJURY ORGAN FAILUREERNEST EUGENE MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2013..The principal animal model will consist of hemorrhagic shock and tissue injury, and the basic investigation will include therapeutic modulation of inflammation...
- Carbon Monoxide to Prevent Circulatory CollapseLeo Otterbein; Fiscal Year: 2007..of injury, early intervention and therapeutics that can delay or prevent the progression to irreversible hemorrhagic shock need to be elucidated...
- Syndecan shedding after trauma and hemorrhagic shockRosemary A Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2013..gap in the understanding between syndecan-1 (sdc-1) shedding and mortality in severely injured patients in hemorrhagic shock (HS)...
- Resuscitation using novel impedance threshold devices in pediatricsKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2007..pressure, even without fluid resuscitation, improves hemodynamic parameters and outcome in adult porcine hemorrhagic shock. Vascular biology, physiology, and tissue injury mechanisms change as the child matures from infancy through ..
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..in surgical techniques and pharmacological interventions have improved the outcome of liver resections, hemorrhagic shock, and organ transplantation, injury, rejection and eventual organ failure due to Ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) ..
- GLU6PASE AND 6P2K/FBASE GENE REGULATION IN SEPSISSUBIR MAITRA; Fiscal Year: 2001..that gene expression of Glu-6-Pase and 6PF2K/FBPase are reciprocally modulated during hyperglycemic phase of hemorrhagic shock. In this proposal, we are focusing on the regulation of expression of these two genes as models of hormonal ..
- BLOOD FLOW IN THE DENERVATED ISCHEMIC REPERFUSED LIVERANTHONY KOO; Fiscal Year: 1990..problem of ischemia and reperfusion in the liver is clinically encountered in liver transplanation and in hemorrhagic shock. In liver transplantation, the donor liver is denervated and non-perfused by blood (an ischemic organ), but ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF ANESTHETICS IN HEMORRHAGIC SHOCKKen Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In the setting of hemorrhagic shock, intravenous agents can produce adverse hemodynamic consequences and prolonged duration of anesthetic effect...
- Metabolic-Inflammatory Systems in Irreversible ShockJuan Carlos Puyana; Fiscal Year: 2007..on the severity of the hemorrhage and the time lag between injury and hemostasis, some patients with hemorrhagic shock may enter into irreversible circulatory collapse, despite resuscitation...
- The Role of Bcl-2 in Ischemia-Reperfusion InjuryRobert Winn; Fiscal Year: 2006Ischemia with or without reperfusion occurs in a variety of diseases including myocardial infarction, stroke, hemorrhagic shock and organ transplantation...
- A Novel Resuscitation for Hemorrhagic Shock: AM/AMBP-1Rongqian Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..to further develop a novel therapeutic approach to save the lives of severely injured trauma victims with hemorrhagic shock. Most trauma deaths result either from insufficient tissue perfusion due to excessive blood loss, or the ..
- Anti-Inflammatory effect of Cholinergic Pathway:IschemiaElahe Crockett; Fiscal Year: 2005..injury occurs in a wide spectrum of clinically important disorders such as myocardial infarction, stroke, hemorrhagic shock, and organ transplantation...
- INFLUENCE OF AGING ON MITOCHONDRIAL GENE EXPRESSION FOLLOWING TRAUMA-HEMORRHAGERaghavan Raju; Fiscal Year: 2009..It is well known that cardiovascular functions are markedly depressed following trauma-hemorrhagic shock despite fluid resuscitation...
- Innate Immunity in Gastrointestinal IschemiaMelanie Hart; Fiscal Year: 2006Gastrointestinal ischemia-reperfusion (GI/R) is a common clinical problem in the settings of sepsis hemorrhagic shock, vascular surgery and small bowel transplantation...
- Hemorrhagic Shock and Pancreatic Enzyme ProductsDavid Hoyt; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Hemorrhagic shock is accompanied by a strong inflammatory reaction, the origin of which has been hypothesized in the past to be associated with specific mediators such as endotoxin, oxygen free radicals, cytokines and platelet ..
- ENERGY HOMEOSTASIS BY SPECIFIC ORGANS IN SHOCKFrederick Pearce; Fiscal Year: 1992..the maintenance of homeostasis and potential contribution to the onset of decompensation of homeostasis in hemorrhagic shock. Our working hypotheses are: 1) The loss of tolerance and ultimately death from persisting hypovolemic shock ..