Genomes and Genes
Summary: Accumulation or retention of free fluid within the peritoneal cavity.
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- Intraperitoneal VEGF inhibition using bevacizumab: a potential approach for the symptomatic treatment of malignant ascites?Sebastian Kobold
Department of Oncology Hematology Bone Marrow Transplantation with the Section Pneumology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Oncologist 14:1242-51. 2009Despite overall improvements in oncological care in the palliative setting, symptomatic malignant ascites remains a severe clinical problem. This form of effusion is known to be widely resistant to established modes of systemic therapy...
- Development and approval of the trifunctional antibody catumaxomab (anti-EpCAM x anti-CD3) as a targeted cancer immunotherapyDiane Seimetz
Fresenius Biotech GmbH, Frankfurter Ring 193a, D 80807 München, Munich, Germany
Cancer Treat Rev 36:458-67. 2010..Catumaxomab has been approved in the European Union since April 2009 for the i.p. treatment of malignant ascites (MA) in patients with EpCAM-positive carcinomas where standard therapy is not available or no longer feasible...
- Persistent ascites and low serum sodium identify patients with cirrhosis and low MELD scores who are at high risk for early deathDouglas M Heuman
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA, USA
Hepatology 40:802-10. 2004..MELD score, persistent ascites, and low serum sodium (<135 meq/L) were independent predictors of early mortality...
- Deleterious effects of beta-blockers on survival in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascitesThomas Sersté
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 773, Centre de recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon, Paris, France
Hepatology 52:1017-22. 2010Beta-blockers may have a negative impact on survival in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of the administration of beta-blockers on long-term survival in patients with ..
- Exosomes in the ascites of ovarian cancer patients: origin and effects on anti-tumor immunityPeng Peng
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing 100730, PR China
Oncol Rep 25:749-62. 2011This study was performed to identify the origin of the ascites-derived exosomes from patients with ovarian cancer and to observe the effect of exosomes on anti-tumor immunity...
- Evaluation of pharmacokinetics of 111In-labeled VNB-PEGylated liposomes after intraperitoneal and intravenous administration in a tumor/ascites mouse modelYi Yu Lin
Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 24:453-60. 2009..p.) and intravenous (i.v.) administration in a C26/tk-luc colon carcinoma ascites mouse model. IVNBPL was prepared by labeling VNB-encapsulated PEGylated liposomes with 111In-oxine...
- Intravenous aflibercept for treatment of recurrent symptomatic malignant ascites in patients with advanced ovarian cancer: a phase 2, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyWalter H Gotlieb
McGill University, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
Lancet Oncol 13:154-62. 2012Targeting of VEGF is a potential therapeutic option in patients with malignant ovarian ascites. We present the final results of a multicentre study of the efficacy and safety of aflibercept, a potent inhibitor of both VEGF and placental ..
- Bacterial DNA activates cell mediated immune response and nitric oxide overproduction in peritoneal macrophages from patients with cirrhosis and ascitesR Frances
Department of Immunology, Hospital General Universitario, Pintor Baeza s n, Alicante, Spain
Gut 53:860-4. 2004....
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-trap decreases tumor burden, inhibits ascites, and causes dramatic vascular remodeling in an ovarian cancer modelAnnette T Byrne
Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:5721-8. 2003..It is characterized by diffuse peritoneal carcinomatosis and often by large volumes of i.p. ascites. Because vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), also known as vascular permeability factor, increases ..
- Proinvasive properties of ovarian cancer ascites-derived membrane vesiclesLaura E Graves
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cancer Res 64:7045-9. 2004Malignant ovarian ascites are rich in cellular components, membrane-bound vesicles, and soluble proteins...
- Ovarian cancer metastasis: integrating insights from disparate model organismsHonami Naora
Department of Molecular Therapeutics, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 5:355-66. 2005..Genetic analysis of border-cell migration in the Drosophila melanogaster ovary provides clues that will improve our understanding of ovarian cancer metastasis at the molecular level, and also might lead to potential therapeutic targets...
- Ovarian carcinoma ascites spheroids adhere to extracellular matrix components and mesothelial cell monolayersKathryn M Burleson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:170-81. 2004..The current paradigm that ascites spheroids are non-adhesive leaves their contribution to ovarian carcinoma dissemination undefined...
- Proinflammatory and immunosuppressive serum, ascites and cyst fluid cytokines in patients with early and advanced ovarian cancer and benign ovarian tumorsMarek Nowak
Department of Gynecologic Surgery, Polish Mother s Memorial Hospital Research Institute, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:375-83. 2010..factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1) and interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) in serum and the tumor microenvironment (cyst fluid, ascites) in women with ovarian cancer or benign ovarian tumors to find the differences in their immunological status...
- Mining the ovarian cancer ascites proteome for potential ovarian cancer biomarkersCynthia Kuk
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L5, Canada
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:661-9. 2009..We performed an in-depth proteomics analysis of ovarian cancer ascites fluid...
- Matrix metalloproteinases (MMP9 and MMP2) induce the release of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) by ovarian carcinoma cells: implications for ascites formationDorina Belotti
Laboratory of Biology, Department of Oncology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, 24125 Bergamo, Italy
Cancer Res 63:5224-9. 2003..Levels of MMP9 (pro and activated form) and proMMP2 in ascites correlated with VEGF and with the ascitic volume in nude mice bearing human ovarian carcinoma xenografts (HOC22 ..
- A bivariate mixture model analysis of body weight and ascites traits in broilersS Zerehdaran
Animal Breeding and Genetics Group, Wageningen Institute of Animal Science, The Netherlands
Poult Sci 85:32-8. 2006..of the present study was to use bivariate mixture models to study the relationships between body weight (BW) and ascites indicator traits...
- Disease-induced variability of genetic correlations: ascites in broilers as a case studyK H de Greef
Institute for Animal Science and Health, Lelystad, The Netherlands
J Anim Sci 79:1723-33. 2001..b>Ascites in broilers is such a disease...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor immunoneutralization plus Paclitaxel markedly reduces tumor burden and ascites in athymic mouse model of ovarian cancerLimin Hu
Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of California at San Francisco 94143, USA
Am J Pathol 161:1917-24. 2002Ovarian cancer is characterized by rapid growth of solid intraperitoneal tumors and production of large volumes of ascites. Our previous studies of intraperitoneal ovarian carcinoma in an athymic mouse model demonstrated that a ..
- Hospicells (ascites-derived stromal cells) promote tumorigenicity and angiogenesisMarlene Pasquet
EA3035, Institut Claudius Regaud, University Toulouse III, Faculte des sciences pharmaceutiques, Toulouse, F 31062, France
Int J Cancer 126:2090-101. 2010..Cells closely associated with tumoral cells, named hospicells, have been recently isolated from the ascites of ovarian cancer patients...
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient in cirrhosis: correlation with the size of varices, bleeding, ascites, and child's statusM Wadhawan
Department of Gastroenterology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi, 110002, India
Dig Dis Sci 51:2264-9. 2006..The HVPG was comparable between hepatitis B- and hepatitis C virus-related cirrhotics (P = 0.8). Cirrhotics with ascites had a higher HVPG than those without ascites (18.5 +/- 5.6 vs 16.6 +/- 7.6 mm Hg; P = 0.02)...
- Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells improve liver function and ascites in decompensated liver cirrhosis patientsZheng Zhang
Research Center for Biological Therapy, The Institute of Translational Hepatology, Beijing 302 Hospital, Beijing, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27:112-20. 2012..There was a significant reduction in the volume of ascites in patients treated with UC-MSC transfusion compared with controls (P < 0.05)...
- Antitumor activity of silver nanoparticles in Dalton's lymphoma ascites tumor modelMuthu Irulappan Sriram
Department of Biotechnology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Kalasalingam University, Tamilnadu, India
Int J Nanomedicine 5:753-62. 2010..efficacy of biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) as an antitumor agent using Dalton's lymphoma ascites (DLA) cell lines in vitro and in vivo...
- A phase II study of aflibercept in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer and symptomatic malignant ascitesNicoletta Colombo
Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Divisione di Ginecologia, Via Ripamonti, Milano, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 125:42-7. 2012..Aflibercept inhibits ascites formation and reduces tumor burden in an ovarian cancer model...
- Soluble FLT-1 expression suppresses carcinomatous ascites in nude mice bearing ovarian cancerYoko Hasumi
Division of Genetic Therapeutics, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Cancer Res 62:2019-23. 2002..and stimulating endothelial growth, is thought to be responsible for fluid accumulation and angiogenesis in ascites tumors...
- Guidelines on the management of ascites in cirrhosisK P Moore
The UCL Institute of Hepatology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, Rowland Hill St, London NW3 2PF, UK
Gut 55:vi1-12. 2006
- CXCL12 and vascular endothelial growth factor synergistically induce neoangiogenesis in human ovarian cancersIlona Kryczek
Tulane University Health Science Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Cancer Res 65:465-72. 2005..To examine tumor angiogenesis in the tumor microenvironment, we studied malignant ascites and tumors of patients with untreated ovarian carcinoma...
- Prognostic significance of interleukin 6 serum levels in patients with ovarian cancerG Scambia
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 71:354-6. 1995..0009). Multivariate analysis revealed that IL-6 positivity has an independent value...
- Complete remission of ovarian cancer induced intractable malignant ascites with intraperitoneal bevacizumab. Immunological observations and a literature reviewFilippo Bellati
Institute of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Invest New Drugs 28:887-94. 2010Malignant ascites resistant to conventional drugs frequently affects ovarian cancer patients at the end of life...
- Phase I clinical trial of autologous ascites-derived exosomes combined with GM-CSF for colorectal cancerShengming Dai
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, The Fourth Hospital Affiliated to Guangxi Medical University, Liuzhou, People s Republic of China
Mol Ther 16:782-90. 2008..In this study we report the phase I clinical trial of the ascites-derived exosomes (Aex) in combination with the granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in the ..
- Ovarian cancer ascites protects from TRAIL-induced cell death through alphavbeta5 integrin-mediated focal adhesion kinase and Akt activationD Lane
Departement De Microbiologie et Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Canada
Oncogene 29:3519-31. 2010..We have earlier shown that ovarian cancer ascites induces Akt activation and protect tumor cells from TRAIL-induced apoptosis...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor trap combined with paclitaxel strikingly inhibits tumor and ascites, prolonging survival in a human ovarian cancer modelLimin Hu
Center for Reproductive Sciences, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0556, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:6966-71. 2005Ovarian cancer is characterized by i.p. carcinomatosis and massive ascites. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a pivotal role in tumor angiogenesis and vascular leakage leading to ascites...
- Pharmacokinetics, micro-SPECT/CT imaging and therapeutic efficacy of (188)Re-DXR-liposome in C26 colon carcinoma ascites mice modelLiang Cheng Chen
Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Nucl Med Biol 35:883-93. 2008..pegylated liposomal doxorubicin ((188)Re-DXR-liposome) were investigated in the C26 murine colon carcinoma ascites mouse model...
- IL-6 trans-signaling in formation and progression of malignant ascites in ovarian cancerChi Wen Lo
Department of Oncology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Institute of Toxicology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Nankang, Taiwan
Cancer Res 71:424-34. 2011..Here we report that sIL-6Rα is elevated in malignant ascites from ovarian cancer patients, where it is associated with poor prognosis...
- Malignant ascites-derived exosomes of ovarian carcinoma patients contain CD24 and EpCAMSteffen Runz
Tumor Immunology Programme D010, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Gynecol Oncol 107:563-71. 2007..Given the emerging role of exosomes in tumor progression, we investigated whether cytoplasmic CD24 expression is correlated with the secretion of CD24 in exosomes...
- The trifunctional antibody catumaxomab for the treatment of malignant ascites due to epithelial cancer: Results of a prospective randomized phase II/III trialMarkus M Heiss
Department of Surgery, Cologne Merheim Medical Center, University of Witten Herdecke, Cologne, Germany
Int J Cancer 127:2209-21. 2010Malignant ascites is a common manifestation of advanced cancers, and treatment options are limited...
- Ascitic fluid infection in patients with hepatitis B virus-related liver cirrhosis: culture-negative neutrocytic ascites versus spontaneous bacterial peritonitisSeung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:122-8. 2010Ascitic fluid infection (AFI) consists of culture-negative neutrocytic ascites (CNNA) and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)...
- Natural history of hepatitis B virus-related cirrhotic patients hospitalized to control ascitesSeung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1722-7. 2008Few studies have assessed the natural history of hepatitis B virus (HBV)-related cirrhotic ascites. We investigated the natural history of patients with HBV-related cirrhotic ascites hospitalized to control ascites and determined their ..
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascitesRichard Moreau
Service d Hépatologie and INSERM U 481, 92118 Clichy, France
Liver Int 24:457-64. 2004In patients with cirrhosis, refractory ascites is associated with a poor prognosis and is an indication for liver transplantation. However, factors that determine prognosis remain unclear.
- Niche-dependent tumorigenic capacity of malignant ovarian ascites-derived cancer cell subpopulationsEhood Katz
Rappaport Faculty of Medicine and Research Institute, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Clin Cancer Res 15:70-80. 2009..cellular microenvironment in supporting the growth of human cancer cells freshly harvested from malignant ovarian ascites and to determine whether there are differences among subsets of ascites-derived cancer cells in terms of ..
- The detection of bacterial DNA in blood of rats with CCl4-induced cirrhosis with ascites represents episodes of bacterial translocationCarlos Guarner
Liver Section, Escuela de Patologia Digestiva, Hospital de la Sta Creu i St Pau, Barcelona, and Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 44:633-9. 2006Bacterial DNA (bactDNA) is present in blood and ascitic fluid (AF) in a third of patients with cirrhosis and ascites, but whether this phenomenon represents episodes of bacterial translocation (BT), strictly considered when culture of ..
- Intraperitoneal application of rituximab in refractory mantle cell lymphoma with massive ascites resulting in local and systemic responseMartina Crysandt
Medizinische Klinik IV, Universitaetsklinikum Aachen, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Eur J Haematol 79:546-9. 2007..The patient's general status declined and she developed massive ascites as the dominant clinical problem...
- Malignant ascites symptom cluster in patients referred for paracentesisAmna Husain
Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Surg Oncol 17:461-9. 2010Malignant ascites (MA) is a distressing problem usually managed by repeated paracenteses. Paracentesis represents a meaningful time point in identifying patients with a specific presentation.
- Isolation and characterization of tumor cells from the ascites of ovarian cancer patients: molecular phenotype of chemoresistant ovarian tumorsArdian Latifi
Women s Cancer Research Centre, Royal Women s Hospital, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e46858. 2012Tumor cells in ascites are a major source of disease recurrence in ovarian cancer patients...
- Risk factors for hepatic encephalopathy in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites: relevance of serum sodium concentrationMonica Guevara
Liver Unit Hospital Clínic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Int 30:1137-42. 2010..intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) vs large-volume paracentesis in the management of refractory of ascites. Variables used in the analysis included age, sex, previous history of HE, treatment assignment (TIPS vs large ..
- Clinical course of alcoholic liver cirrhosis: a Danish population-based cohort studyPeter Jepsen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Hepatology 51:1675-82. 2010..We examined prevalence, risk, chronology, and mortality associated with three complications of cirrhosis: ascites, variceal bleeding, and hepatic encephalopathy...
- Genetic parameters of ascites-related traits in broilers: effect of cold and normal temperature conditionsA Pakdel
Animal Breeding and Genetics Group, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br Poult Sci 46:35-42. 20051) Ascites syndrome is a growth-related disorder of broilers that occurs more often in fast-growing birds and at low temperatures...
- Prognostic significance of IL-6 and IL-8 ascites levels in ovarian cancer patientsDenis Lane
Departement De Microbiologie et Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, 3001, 12ième Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, J1H 5N4, Canada
BMC Cancer 11:210. 2011The acellular fraction of epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) ascites promotes de novo resistance of tumor cells and thus supports the idea that tumor cells may survive in the surrounding protective microenvironment contributing to disease ..
- LPA1 receptors mediate stimulation, whereas LPA2 receptors mediate inhibition, of migration of pancreatic cancer cells in response to lysophosphatidic acid and malignant ascitesMayumi Komachi
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Carcinogenesis 30:457-65. 2009Malignant ascites from pancreatic cancer patients has been reported to stimulate migration of pancreatic cancer cells through lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) and LPA(1) receptors...
- The use of albumin in all patients with decompensated cirrhosis is not justifiedBenjamin Avidan
Department of Gastroenterology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:118-20. 2005
- Renal replacement therapy in end-stage renal disease patients with chronic liver disease and ascites: role of peritoneal dialysisKunal Chaudhary
Division of Nephrology, University of Missouri Health Center, Columbia, MO 65203, USA
Perit Dial Int 28:113-7. 2008..ESRD patients with chronic liver disease and ascites are more difficult to manage on hemodialysis (HD) due to their hemodynamic status and risk of bleeding...
- A novel perspective for an orphan problem: old and new drugs for the medical management of malignant ascitesS Barni
Division of Medical Oncology, Azienda Ospedaliera Treviglio Caravaggio, Treviglio Caravaggio Hospital, Treviglio BG, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 79:144-53. 2011Malignant ascites is defined as a condition in which fluid containing cancer cells accumulates in the abdomen...
- Satavaptan for the management of ascites in cirrhosis: efficacy and safety across the spectrum of ascites severityFlorence Wong
Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gut 61:108-16. 2012Satavaptan, a vasopressin V2 receptor antagonist, has been shown to improve the control of ascites in cirrhosis in short-term phase II studies...
- Alcohol consumption by cirrhotic subjects: patterns of use and effects on liver functionMichael R Lucey
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53792 5124, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1698-706. 2008....
- Radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the diaphragm: the value of artificial ascitesHyunchul Rhim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, Korea
Abdom Imaging 34:371-80. 2009..RF ablation with assistance of the use of artificial ascites is a simple and safe technique for treating a hepatic dome tumor abutting the diaphragm...
- Malignant ascites: past, present, and futureRony A Adam
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
J Am Coll Surg 198:999-1011. 2004
- Association of proton pump inhibitor therapy with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients with ascitesJasmohan S Bajaj
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, McGuire VA Medical Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23221, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1130-4. 2009Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) is a frequent complication of cirrhosis. Bacterial contamination of ascites fluid leading to SBP is caused by bacterial translocation with subsequent bacteremia...
- Differential gene expression of proinflammatory chemokines and cytokines in lungs of ascites-resistant and -susceptible broiler chickens following intravenous cellulose microparticle injectionKrishna R Hamal
Department of Poultry Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 133:250-5. 2010..of microparticles (MPs) is a tool to reveal susceptibility to pulmonary hypertension (PH) syndrome (PHS, ascites) in broilers. After injection MPs get lodged in pulmonary arterioles and cause localized inflammation...
- Development of an experimental model of induced bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic rats with or without ascitesElisabet Sánchez
Liver Unit, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Autonomous University, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 102:1230-6. 2007..Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) is a severe complication of cirrhotic patients associated with a high mortality...
- Prognostic value of serum and ascites levels of estradiol, FSH, LH and prolactin in ovarian cancerFrank Chih Kang Chen
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics Charité University Medicine Berlin Campus Virchow Klinikum Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Anticancer Res 29:1575-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of sex hormone levels on tumor biology and patients' outcome in ovarian cancer...
- Lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) in malignant ascites stimulates motility of human pancreatic cancer cells through LPA1Takayuki Yamada
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi 371 8512, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:6595-605. 2004Cytokines and growth factors in malignant ascites are thought to modulate a variety of cellular activities of cancer cells and normal host cells...
- Human ovarian cancer, cell lines, and primary ascites cells express the human Mullerian inhibiting substance (MIS) type II receptor, bind, and are responsive to MISP T Masiakos
Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratories, Department of Surgery, The Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Clin Cancer Res 5:3488-99. 1999Six human ovarian cancer cell lines and samples of ascites cells isolated from 27 patients with stage III or IV ovarian papillary serous cystadenocarcinoma were studied individually to test whether recombinant human Mullerian inhibiting ..
- Primary culture of ovarian surface epithelial cells and ascites-derived ovarian cancer cells from patientsTrevor G Shepherd
Department of Pharmacology, Dalhousie University, 5850 College Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 1X5
Nat Protoc 1:2643-9. 2006..A simple protocol of obtaining primary epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) cells from the ascites fluid removed from patients with high-grade ovarian cancer is also described...
- Limitations of the MELD score in predicting mortality or need for removal from waiting list in patients awaiting liver transplantationDaniel Gotthardt
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Gastroenterol 9:72. 2009..The relative shortage of organ donors renders the allocation algorithms of organs essential. The optimal strategy based on scoring systems and/or waiting time is still under debate...
- Ascites syndrome in broilers: physiological and nutritional perspectivesA Baghbanzadeh
Section of Physiology, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Avian Pathol 37:117-26. 2008..If this is not done, inefficient production and several metabolic diseases such as ascites become apparent...
- Evaluation of minimally invasive indices for predicting ascites susceptibility in three successive hatches of broilers exposed to cool temperaturesR F Wideman
Department of Poultry Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72701, USA
Poult Sci 77:1565-73. 1998..hatches were exposed to cool temperatures to amplify the incidence of pulmonary hypertension syndrome (PHS, ascites)...
- Natural history of patients hospitalized for management of cirrhotic ascitesRamon Planas
Liver Section, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1385-94. 2006Since the International Ascites Club published the diagnostic criteria of refractory ascites (RA) and hepatorenal syndrome (HRS), there have been few studies assessing the natural history of ascites...
- In-depth proteomics of ovarian cancer ascites: combining shotgun proteomics and selected reaction monitoring mass spectrometrySarah Elschenbroich
Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
J Proteome Res 10:2286-99. 2011..We built on our experience in analyzing ovarian cancer ascites and present an analysis pipeline that combines discovery-based proteomics, bioinformatics prioritization and ..
- Coexistence of struma ovarii with marked ascites and elevated CA-125 levels: case report and literature reviewMabel Po Mui
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Centro Hospitalar Conde de S Januario, Macao, People s Republic of China
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:753-7. 2009Struma ovarii is a rare form of ovarian neoplasm and consists mainly of thyroid tissue. Ascites has been reported in approximately one-third of all the cases...
- Type-2 hepatorenal syndrome and refractory ascites: role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt in eighteen patients with advanced cirrhosis awaiting orthotopic liver transplantationGianni Testino
Unit of Hepato Gastroenterology Monoblocco 12, S Martino Hospital, Piazzale R Benzi 16132, Genova, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1753-5. 2003..Its role in the management of refractory ascites and hepatorenal syndrome still awaits further prospective studies...
- [Eosinophilic enteritis as a rare cause of ascites]A Bouhmidi
Hospital Clínico Universitario San Cecilio Granada España
Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:480-1. 2003..depend on the affected layers and range from barely perceptible symptoms to intestinal obstruction or ascites. We present the case of an 18-year-old woman who showed abdominal ascites as a rare form of presentation with ..
- Rapid growth problems: ascites and skeletal deformities in broilersR J Julian
Department of Pathology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Canada
Poult Sci 77:1773-80. 1998..In the chicken, sudden death syndrome (flip-over) and pulmonary hypertension syndrome resulting in ascites are the most important...
- Involvement of M2-polarized macrophages in the ascites from advanced epithelial ovarian carcinoma in tumor progression via Stat3 activationKiyomi Takaishi
Department of Cell Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Cancer Sci 101:2128-36. 2010b>Ascites macrophages in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (AdEOC) are involved in cancer metastasis and progression by modifying the tumor microenvironment...
- A prospective evaluation of catheter probe EUS for the detection of ascites in patients with gastric carcinomaKent Man Chu
Current affiliations Division of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Gastrointest Endosc 59:471-4. 2004Gastric carcinoma is known for its propensity to spread to the peritoneum. This study assessed the value of EUS in the detection of ascites not visible on CT in patients with gastric carcinoma.
- Continuous docetaxel chemotherapy improves therapeutic efficacy in murine models of ovarian cancerRaquel De Souza
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1820-30. 2010..is considerably more efficacious than intermittent therapy, resulting in a greater decrease in tumor burden and ascites fluid accumulation...
- Ovarian cancer-associated ascites demonstrates altered immune environment: implications for antitumor immunityRobert L Giuntoli
The Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 North Wolfe Street, Phipps 281, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Anticancer Res 29:2875-84. 2009To identify immunosuppressive elements present in ovarian cancer associated ascites.
- Preparation of human ovarian cancer ascites-derived exosomes for a clinical trialH Navabi
Cancer Services, Velindre NHS Trust, Cardiff, UK
Blood Cells Mol Dis 35:149-52. 2005..undergoing chemotherapy using a combination of a Toll-like receptor 3 (TLR3) agonist and tumour-associated ascites-derived exosomes...
- HLA-G is a potential tumor marker in malignant ascitesGad Singer
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University Medical Institutions, Baltimore Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:4460-4. 2003Molecular approaches as supplements to cytological examination of malignant ascites may play an important role in the clinical management of cancer patients...
- Cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy to treat gastric cancer with ascites and/or peritoneal carcinomatosis: Results from a Chinese centerXiao jun Yang
Department of Oncology, Zhongnan Hospital Wuhan University, Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors and Hubei Cancer Clinical Study Center, Wuchang District, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China
J Surg Oncol 101:457-64. 2010..This work was to evaluate cytoreductive surgery (CRS) plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for advanced gastric cancer (GC)...
- VEGF expression and the effect of NSAIDs on ascites cell proliferation in the hen model of ovarian cancerM E Urick
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Gynecol Oncol 110:418-24. 2008We aimed to determine the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and the effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on the proliferation of cells isolated from ascites in the hen model of ovarian cancer.
- Ascites as a predictor of ovarian malignancyJane Shen-Gunther
Gynecologic Surgery and Oncology, 2911 N Tenaya Way, Suite 105, Las Vegas, NV 89128, USA
Gynecol Oncol 87:77-83. 2002To determine the utility of ascites as a predictor of ovarian malignancy and define its relationship with the histologic type of ovarian tumor (benign, borderline, or malignant) and stage of disease.
- A comparison of paracentesis and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting in patients with ascitesM Rossle
Medizinische Klinik II, Albrecht Ludwigs Universität, Department of Gastroenterology, Freiburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 342:1701-7. 2000In patients with cirrhosis and ascites, creation of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt may reduce the ascites and improve renal function...
- Malignant ascites: systematic review and guideline for treatmentGerhild Becker
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cancer 42:589-97. 2006A guideline on the management of symptomatic malignant ascites by abdominal paracentesis, diuretics and peritoneovenous shunting, based on a systematic review of the literature is presented. Thirty-two relevant studies were identified...
- Albendazole: a potent inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor and malignant ascites formation in OVCAR-3 tumor-bearing nude miceMohammad Hossein Pourgholami
Cancer Research Laboratories, Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 12:1928-35. 2006Angiogenesis and vessel hyperpermeability are the two factors leading to the formation of ascites. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a pivotal role in malignant ascites formation...
- Ascites and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: an Asian perspectiveJung Min Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1494-503. 2009b>Ascites is the most common complication of liver cirrhosis, and it develops as a consequence of portal hypertension and splanchnic vasodilatation...
- Ultrasonography in the diagnosis and monitoring of ascites in acute abdominal attacks of hereditary angioneurotic oedemaH Farkas
Kutvolgyi Clinical Centre, Allergology and Angio oedema Outpatient Clinic, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:1225-30. 2001Hereditary angioneurotic oedema (HAE) is a rare cause of ascites. As acute abdominal attacks of the disease can mimic surgical emergencies, prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential...
- A sequential study of serum bacterial DNA in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascitesRubén Francés
Unidad Hepática Sección de Inmunología, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 39:484-91. 2004..main pathogenic mechanism leading to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascites. However, to the authors' knowledge there is no information regarding the characteristics of this process in ..
- Cholesterol metabolism during the growth of a rat ascites hepatoma (Yoshida AH-130)S Dessi
Istituto di Patologia Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
Br J Cancer 66:787-93. 1992..of cholesterol has been investigated in tumour cells, ascitic fluid and blood serum during the growth of an ascites hepatoma (Yoshida AH-130) in the rat...
- Risk of complications after abdominal paracentesis in cirrhotic patients: a prospective studyAndrea De Gottardi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:906-9. 2009..Complications and technical problems of paracentesis in cirrhotic patients are infrequent. However, the severity and the incidence of these events and their risk factors have not been assessed prospectively...
- Patients with ovarian cancer have elevated (51)Cr-EDTA plasma clearance early post-operativelyS S Nielsen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Skejby Sygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Brendstrupgaardsvej, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Nucl Med Commun 23:917-20. 2002..Additionally, age, height, weight, cancer stage, ascites and tumour histology were noted...
- Spontaneous ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in a normal singleton pregnancyOzer Oztekin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 45:272-5. 2006..However, OHSS may rarely be associated with a spontaneous ovulatory cycle, usually in the case of multiple gestations, hypothyroidism or polycystic ovary syndrome...
- Interferon-gamma release assay in the ascites: Early hint for diagnosis of abdominal tuberculosisR Lorenz
Dept of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Ulm, Germany
Infection 38:69-72. 2010We report on a 20-year-old woman with abdominal tuberculosis.Standard microbiological examination of ascites showed no acid-fast bacilli (AFB), and analysis for the Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB)-complex DNA by PCR was negative...
- Determination of the necessary total protein substitution requirements in patients with advanced stage ovarian cancer and ascites, undergoing debulking surgery. Correlation with plasma proteinsGeorge Vorgias
Department of Gynecology, Metaxa Memorial Cancer Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1919-23. 2007b>Ascites is common in patients with advanced ovarian carcinoma (AOC). Its drainage during surgery affects plasma proteins...
- Torsion of a giant omental cyst mimicking ascitesSuat Fitoz
Department of Radiology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Dikimevi, Ankara 06100, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 35:85-7. 2007..The cyst occupied nearly the whole abdomen and mimicked massive ascites on sonography...
- Chemotherapy with laparoscope-assisted continuous circulatory hyperthermic intraperitoneal perfusion for malignant ascitesMing Chen Ba
Department of Abdominal Surgery Section 2, Cancer Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510095, Guangdong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:1901-7. 2010..procedure, feasibility and effects of laparoscope-assisted continuous circulatory hyperthermic intraperitoneal perfusion chemotherapy (CHIPC) in treatment of malignant ascites induced by peritoneal carcinomatosis from gastric cancers.
- Effect of cold stress on broilers selected for resistance or susceptibility to ascites syndromeJ M Balog
USDA ARS PP and PSR, Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701, USA
Poult Sci 82:1383-7. 2003Genetic selection for an ascites-resistant line of broilers is seen as a permanent solution to the ascites problem...
- Effect of ascites on bone density measurement in cirrhosisEternity D Labio
NHMRC Center of Clinical Research Excellence to Improve Outcome in Chronic Liver Disease, AW Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Center, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Densitom 10:391-4. 2007Cirrhosis is an independent risk factor for the development of osteoporosis. The presence of ascites in patients with cirrhosis may affect the accuracy of bone density measurement in the spine...
- Laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal peroperative chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the management of refractory malignant ascites: A multi-institutional retrospective analysis in 52 patientsM Valle
Department of Surgical Oncology, Digestive Branch, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Surg Oncol 100:331-4. 2009Malignant ascites is a debilitating condition affecting cancer patients in their terminal stage of disease. Recently, laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal peroperative chemotherapy (HIPEC) was introduced as a new approach...
- Paracrine action of sFLT-1 secreted by stably-transfected Ehrlich ascites tumor cells and therapy using sFLT-1 inhibits ascites tumor growth in vivoSunitha Ramachandra
Department of Studies in Biotechnology, University of Mysore, Mysore, 570006 Karanataka, India
J Gene Med 11:422-34. 2009..In the present study, we have developed and tested strategies targeted specifically to VEGF for the treatment of ascites formation.
- Ascites due to right atrial myxoma in a haemodialysis patientAnindya Banerjee
University College London, Centre for Nephrology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
BMC Nephrol 7:4. 2006..Persistent fluid overload in patients on renal replacement therapy despite good dialysis adequacy or obvious cardiac dysfunction should prompt a search for rarer causes...
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the diaphragm and gastrointestinal tracts with the use of artificial ascites: safety and technical efficacy in 143 patientsInyoung Song
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50, IlWon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Eur Radiol 19:2630-40. 2009..was to assess the feasibility, safety and efficacy of radiofrequency ablation (RFA) with the use of artificial ascites for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) adjacent to the diaphragm and gastrointestinal tract...
- Eosinophilic ascites in a patient with toxocara canis infection. A case reportOlimpia Chira
3rd Medical Clinic, and University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj Napoca, Romania
Rom J Gastroenterol 14:397-400. 2005We report the case of a young female patient, admitted for a recent ascites of unknown origin. The acute onset was with colicky abdominal pain and peritoneal effusion, which led to the suspicion of perforated ulcer...
- Molecular mechanism of antiangiogenic properties of gold nanoparticlePriyabrata Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is likely that it will bind to all the pro-angiogenic heparin-binding growth factors present in the ascites and inhibit their function...
- ESOPHAGEAL VARICES BY B-ADRENERGIC BLOCKERSRoberto Groszmann; Fiscal Year: 2003..but because it may prevent or delay the development of other complications of portal hypertension, such a ascites. This ongoing multi-center, prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial was designed with the ..
- Identification of pancreatic cancer specific high affinity targeting ligandsPAPPANAICKEN KUMARESAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..can be used for imaging and to trap circulating cancer cells in the biological fluids such as blood, pancreatic ascites and stool...
- STRUCTURE/BIOSYNTHESIS OF TUMOR SIALOMUCIN COMPLEXKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 1999..is focused on a novel cell surface glycoprotein complex (sialomucin complex, SMC), originally isolated from ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma...
- Regulation of Ovarian Cancer Multidrug Resistance by MAP KinasesScott T Eblen; Fiscal Year: 2010..We generated phospho-specific antibodies and have shown SPF45 phosphorylation in human ascites and in cell lines in response to chemotherapeutic drugs, oxidative stress, phorbol esters and UV irradiation...
- PREVENTION OF ESOPHAGEAL VARICES BY B-ADRENERGIC BLOCKERRoberto Groszmann; Fiscal Year: 1993..time beta- blocker therapy is initiated, since in these studies patients already have varices and frequently have ascites. Experimental studies have shown that propranolol therapy, administered in the early stages of portal ..
- HER2 LIGAND IN HUMAN BREAST TUMORSKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 2001..is focused on a novel cell surface glycoprotein complex (sialomucin complex, SMC), originally isolated from ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma...
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionStephen Hall; Fiscal Year: 2006..major complications of cirrhosis such as bleeding from gastroesophageal varices, hepatic encephalopathy, and ascites. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) and other surgical shunts are performed to manage these ..
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionJ Gorski; Fiscal Year: 2005..major complications of cirrhosis such as bleeding from gastroesophageal varices, hepatic encephalopathy, and ascites. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) and other surgical shunts are performed to manage these ..
- Synergistic actions by multiple Toll-like receptors in alcoholic liver diseaseEkihiro Seki; Fiscal Year: 2010..Not only LPS, but also bacterial DNA levels in blood and ascites are elevated in patients with alcoholic-induced liver cirrhosis...
- OCULAR SURFACE PROTECTION BY SIALOMUCIN COMPLEXKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 2002..SMC was originally identified and isolated from membranes of ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma and is composed of a mucin subunit ASGP-1 (..
- Novel, cost-effective production of immunoaffinity AbsScott Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2006..including culture of hybridomas, re-introduction of hybridomas into mice and subsequent generation of ascites and transfection of mammalian cell lines with specific heavy and light chain antibody genes...
- TRIPTYCENE ANALOGS--NOVEL BIFUNCTIONAL ANTICANCER DRUGSJean Pierre Perchellet; Fiscal Year: 2004..TT2 derivatives can inhibit tumor development in vivo and prolong the survival of mice challenged with ascites (L1210) or solid tumors with metastatic potential (Lewis lung carcinoma and B16F10 melanoma)...
- Gene Regulation for Drug Targeting in AMLManohar Ratnam; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ATRA effect conferred a substantial therapeutic benefit, on FR-targeted liposomal doxorubicin, in a mouse ascites tumor model of AML...