Genomes and Genes
Summary: Accumulation or retention of free fluid within the peritoneal cavity.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Ovarian cancer metastasis: integrating insights from disparate model organismsHonami Naora
Department of Molecular Therapeutics, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 5:355-66. 2005..Genetic analysis of border-cell migration in the Drosophila melanogaster ovary provides clues that will improve our understanding of ovarian cancer metastasis at the molecular level, and also might lead to potential therapeutic targets...
- Matrix metalloproteinases (MMP9 and MMP2) induce the release of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) by ovarian carcinoma cells: implications for ascites formationDorina Belotti
Laboratory of Biology, Department of Oncology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, 24125 Bergamo, Italy
Cancer Res 63:5224-9. 2003..Levels of MMP9 (pro and activated form) and proMMP2 in ascites correlated with VEGF and with the ascitic volume in nude mice bearing human ovarian carcinoma xenografts (HOC22 ..
- Soluble FLT-1 expression suppresses carcinomatous ascites in nude mice bearing ovarian cancerYoko Hasumi
Division of Genetic Therapeutics, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Cancer Res 62:2019-23. 2002..and stimulating endothelial growth, is thought to be responsible for fluid accumulation and angiogenesis in ascites tumors...
- Guidelines on the management of ascites in cirrhosisK P Moore
The UCL Institute of Hepatology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, Rowland Hill St, London NW3 2PF, UK
Gut 55:vi1-12. 2006
- Proinflammatory and immunosuppressive serum, ascites and cyst fluid cytokines in patients with early and advanced ovarian cancer and benign ovarian tumorsMarek Nowak
Department of Gynecologic Surgery, Polish Mother s Memorial Hospital Research Institute, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:375-83. 2010..factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1) and interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) in serum and the tumor microenvironment (cyst fluid, ascites) in women with ovarian cancer or benign ovarian tumors to find the differences in their immunological status...
- CXCL12 and vascular endothelial growth factor synergistically induce neoangiogenesis in human ovarian cancersIlona Kryczek
Tulane University Health Science Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Cancer Res 65:465-72. 2005..To examine tumor angiogenesis in the tumor microenvironment, we studied malignant ascites and tumors of patients with untreated ovarian carcinoma...
- Prognostic significance of interleukin 6 serum levels in patients with ovarian cancerG Scambia
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 71:354-6. 1995..0009). Multivariate analysis revealed that IL-6 positivity has an independent value...
- Complete remission of ovarian cancer induced intractable malignant ascites with intraperitoneal bevacizumab. Immunological observations and a literature reviewFilippo Bellati
Institute of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Invest New Drugs 28:887-94. 2010Malignant ascites resistant to conventional drugs frequently affects ovarian cancer patients at the end of life...
- The trifunctional antibody catumaxomab for the treatment of malignant ascites due to epithelial cancer: Results of a prospective randomized phase II/III trialMarkus M Heiss
Department of Surgery, Cologne Merheim Medical Center, University of Witten Herdecke, Cologne, Germany
Int J Cancer 127:2209-21. 2010Malignant ascites is a common manifestation of advanced cancers, and treatment options are limited...
- Malignant ascites-derived exosomes of ovarian carcinoma patients contain CD24 and EpCAMSteffen Runz
Tumor Immunology Programme D010, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Gynecol Oncol 107:563-71. 2007..Given the emerging role of exosomes in tumor progression, we investigated whether cytoplasmic CD24 expression is correlated with the secretion of CD24 in exosomes...
- Malignant ascites: past, present, and futureRony A Adam
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
J Am Coll Surg 198:999-1011. 2004
- A prospective evaluation of catheter probe EUS for the detection of ascites in patients with gastric carcinomaKent-Man Chu
Current affiliations: Division of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Gastrointest Endosc 59:471-4. 2004..This study assessed the value of EUS in the detection of ascites not visible on CT in patients with gastric carcinoma...
- Mining the ovarian cancer ascites proteome for potential ovarian cancer biomarkersCynthia Kuk
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L5, Canada
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:661-9. 2009..We performed an in-depth proteomics analysis of ovarian cancer ascites fluid...
- Pharmacokinetics, micro-SPECT/CT imaging and therapeutic efficacy of (188)Re-DXR-liposome in C26 colon carcinoma ascites mice modelLiang Cheng Chen
Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Nucl Med Biol 35:883-93. 2008..pegylated liposomal doxorubicin ((188)Re-DXR-liposome) were investigated in the C26 murine colon carcinoma ascites mouse model...
- [Eosinophilic enteritis as a rare cause of ascites]A Bouhmidi
Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:480-1. 2003..depend on the affected layers and range from barely perceptible symptoms to intestinal obstruction or ascites. We present the case of an 18-year-old woman who showed abdominal ascites as a rare form of presentation with ..
- Ovarian cancer-associated ascites demonstrates altered immune environment: implications for antitumor immunityRobert L Giuntoli
The Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 North Wolfe Street, Phipps 281, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Anticancer Res 29:2875-84. 2009To identify immunosuppressive elements present in ovarian cancer associated ascites.
- Involvement of M2-polarized macrophages in the ascites from advanced epithelial ovarian carcinoma in tumor progression via Stat3 activationKiyomi Takaishi
Department of Cell Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Cancer Sci 101:2128-36. 2010b>Ascites macrophages in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (AdEOC) are involved in cancer metastasis and progression by modifying the tumor microenvironment...
- Continuous docetaxel chemotherapy improves therapeutic efficacy in murine models of ovarian cancerRaquel De Souza
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1820-30. 2010..is considerably more efficacious than intermittent therapy, resulting in a greater decrease in tumor burden and ascites fluid accumulation...
- Preparation of human ovarian cancer ascites-derived exosomes for a clinical trialH Navabi
Cancer Services, Velindre NHS Trust, Cardiff, UK
Blood Cells Mol Dis 35:149-52. 2005..undergoing chemotherapy using a combination of a Toll-like receptor 3 (TLR3) agonist and tumour-associated ascites-derived exosomes...
- IL-6 trans-signaling in formation and progression of malignant ascites in ovarian cancerChi Wen Lo
Department of Oncology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Institute of Toxicology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Nankang, Taiwan
Cancer Res 71:424-34. 2011..Here we report that sIL-6Rα is elevated in malignant ascites from ovarian cancer patients, where it is associated with poor prognosis...
- Rapid growth problems: ascites and skeletal deformities in broilersR J Julian
Department of Pathology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Canada
Poult Sci 77:1773-80. 1998..In the chicken, sudden death syndrome (flip-over) and pulmonary hypertension syndrome resulting in ascites are the most important...
- Ovarian cancer ascites protects from TRAIL-induced cell death through alphavbeta5 integrin-mediated focal adhesion kinase and Akt activationD Lane
Departement De Microbiologie et Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Canada
Oncogene 29:3519-31. 2010..We have earlier shown that ovarian cancer ascites induces Akt activation and protect tumor cells from TRAIL-induced apoptosis...
- Cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy to treat gastric cancer with ascites and/or peritoneal carcinomatosis: Results from a Chinese centerXiao jun Yang
Department of Oncology, Zhongnan Hospital Wuhan University, Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors and Hubei Cancer Clinical Study Center, Wuchang District, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China
J Surg Oncol 101:457-64. 2010..This work was to evaluate cytoreductive surgery (CRS) plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for advanced gastric cancer (GC)...
- Ascites as a predictor of ovarian malignancyJane Shen-Gunther
Gynecologic Surgery and Oncology, 2911 N Tenaya Way, Suite 105, Las Vegas, NV 89128, USA
Gynecol Oncol 87:77-83. 2002To determine the utility of ascites as a predictor of ovarian malignancy and define its relationship with the histologic type of ovarian tumor (benign, borderline, or malignant) and stage of disease.
- HLA-G is a potential tumor marker in malignant ascitesGad Singer
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University Medical Institutions, Baltimore Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:4460-4. 2003PURPOSE: Molecular approaches as supplements to cytological examination of malignant ascites may play an important role in the clinical management of cancer patients...
- VEGF expression and the effect of NSAIDs on ascites cell proliferation in the hen model of ovarian cancerM E Urick
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Gynecol Oncol 110:418-24. 2008We aimed to determine the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and the effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on the proliferation of cells isolated from ascites in the hen model of ovarian cancer.
- Phase I clinical trial of autologous ascites-derived exosomes combined with GM-CSF for colorectal cancerShengming Dai
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, The Fourth Hospital Affiliated to Guangxi Medical University, Liuzhou, People s Republic of China
Mol Ther 16:782-90. 2008..In this study we report the phase I clinical trial of the ascites-derived exosomes (Aex) in combination with the granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in the ..
- Ovarian carcinoma ascites spheroids adhere to extracellular matrix components and mesothelial cell monolayersKathryn M Burleson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:170-81. 2004..The current paradigm that ascites spheroids are non-adhesive leaves their contribution to ovarian carcinoma dissemination undefined...
- A comparison of paracentesis and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting in patients with ascitesM Rossle
Medizinische Klinik II, Albrecht Ludwigs Universität, Department of Gastroenterology, Freiburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 342:1701-7. 2000In patients with cirrhosis and ascites, creation of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt may reduce the ascites and improve renal function...
- Malignant ascites: systematic review and guideline for treatmentGerhild Becker
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cancer 42:589-97. 2006A guideline on the management of symptomatic malignant ascites by abdominal paracentesis, diuretics and peritoneovenous shunting, based on a systematic review of the literature is presented. Thirty-two relevant studies were identified...
- Ascitic fluid infection in patients with hepatitis B virus-related liver cirrhosis: culture-negative neutrocytic ascites versus spontaneous bacterial peritonitisSeung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:122-8. 2010Ascitic fluid infection (AFI) consists of culture-negative neutrocytic ascites (CNNA) and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)...
- Albendazole: a potent inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor and malignant ascites formation in OVCAR-3 tumor-bearing nude miceMohammad Hossein Pourgholami
Cancer Research Laboratories, Department of Surgery, St. George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 12:1928-35. 2006PURPOSE: Angiogenesis and vessel hyperpermeability are the two factors leading to the formation of ascites. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a pivotal role in malignant ascites formation...
- Ascites and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: an Asian perspectiveJung Min Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1494-503. 2009b>Ascites is the most common complication of liver cirrhosis, and it develops as a consequence of portal hypertension and splanchnic vasodilatation...
- The detection of bacterial DNA in blood of rats with CCl4-induced cirrhosis with ascites represents episodes of bacterial translocationCarlos Guarner
Liver Section, , Hospital de la Sta. Creu i St. Pau, Barcelona, and Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 44:633-9. 2006Bacterial DNA (bactDNA) is present in blood and ascitic fluid (AF) in a third of patients with cirrhosis and ascites, but whether this phenomenon represents episodes of bacterial translocation (BT), strictly considered when culture of ..
- Proinvasive properties of ovarian cancer ascites-derived membrane vesiclesLaura E Graves
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cancer Res 64:7045-9. 2004Malignant ovarian ascites are rich in cellular components, membrane-bound vesicles, and soluble proteins...
- Ultrasonography in the diagnosis and monitoring of ascites in acute abdominal attacks of hereditary angioneurotic oedemaH Farkas
Kutvolgyi Clinical Centre, Allergology and Angio oedema Outpatient Clinic, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:1225-30. 2001Hereditary angioneurotic oedema (HAE) is a rare cause of ascites. As acute abdominal attacks of the disease can mimic surgical emergencies, prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential...
- Cholesterol metabolism during the growth of a rat ascites hepatoma (Yoshida AH-130)S Dessi
Istituto di Patologia Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
Br J Cancer 66:787-93. 1992..of cholesterol has been investigated in tumour cells, ascitic fluid and blood serum during the growth of an ascites hepatoma (Yoshida AH-130) in the rat...
- A sequential study of serum bacterial DNA in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascitesRubén Francés
Unidad Hepática Sección de Inmunología, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 39:484-91. 2004..main pathogenic mechanism leading to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascites. However, to the authors' knowledge there is no information regarding the characteristics of this process in ..
- Vascular endothelial growth factor immunoneutralization plus Paclitaxel markedly reduces tumor burden and ascites in athymic mouse model of ovarian cancerLimin Hu
Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of California at San Francisco 94143, USA
Am J Pathol 161:1917-24. 2002Ovarian cancer is characterized by rapid growth of solid intraperitoneal tumors and production of large volumes of ascites. Our previous studies of intraperitoneal ovarian carcinoma in an athymic mouse model demonstrated that a ..
- Patients with ovarian cancer have elevated (51)Cr-EDTA plasma clearance early post-operativelyS S Nielsen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Skejby Sygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Brendstrupgaardsvej, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Nucl Med Commun 23:917-20. 2002..Additionally, age, height, weight, cancer stage, ascites and tumour histology were noted...
- A phase II study of aflibercept in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer and symptomatic malignant ascitesNicoletta Colombo
Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Divisione di Ginecologia, Via Ripamonti, Milano, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 125:42-7. 2012..Aflibercept inhibits ascites formation and reduces tumor burden in an ovarian cancer model...
- Effect of ascites on bone density measurement in cirrhosisEternity D Labio
NHMRC Center of Clinical Research Excellence to Improve Outcome in Chronic Liver Disease, AW Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Center, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Densitom 10:391-4. 2007Cirrhosis is an independent risk factor for the development of osteoporosis. The presence of ascites in patients with cirrhosis may affect the accuracy of bone density measurement in the spine...
- Determination of the necessary total protein substitution requirements in patients with advanced stage ovarian cancer and ascites, undergoing debulking surgery. Correlation with plasma proteinsGeorge Vorgias
Department of Gynecology, Metaxa Memorial Cancer Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1919-23. 2007b>Ascites is common in patients with advanced ovarian carcinoma (AOC). Its drainage during surgery affects plasma proteins...
- Effect of cold stress on broilers selected for resistance or susceptibility to ascites syndromeJ M Balog
USDA ARS PP and PSR, Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701, USA
Poult Sci 82:1383-7. 2003Genetic selection for an ascites-resistant line of broilers is seen as a permanent solution to the ascites problem...
- Spontaneous ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in a normal singleton pregnancyOzer Oztekin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 45:272-5. 2006..However, OHSS may rarely be associated with a spontaneous ovulatory cycle, usually in the case of multiple gestations, hypothyroidism or polycystic ovary syndrome...
- Torsion of a giant omental cyst mimicking ascitesSuat Fitoz
Department of Radiology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Dikimevi, Ankara 06100, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 35:85-7. 2007..The cyst occupied nearly the whole abdomen and mimicked massive ascites on sonography...
- Ascites syndrome in broilers: physiological and nutritional perspectivesA Baghbanzadeh
Section of Physiology, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Avian Pathol 37:117-26. 2008..If this is not done, inefficient production and several metabolic diseases such as ascites become apparent...
- Evaluation of minimally invasive indices for predicting ascites susceptibility in three successive hatches of broilers exposed to cool temperaturesR F Wideman
Department of Poultry Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72701, USA
Poult Sci 77:1565-73. 1998..hatches were exposed to cool temperatures to amplify the incidence of pulmonary hypertension syndrome (PHS, ascites)...
- Coexistence of struma ovarii with marked ascites and elevated CA-125 levels: case report and literature reviewMabel Po Mui
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Centro Hospitalar Conde de S Januario, Macao, People s Republic of China
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:753-7. 2009Struma ovarii is a rare form of ovarian neoplasm and consists mainly of thyroid tissue. Ascites has been reported in approximately one-third of all the cases...
- Laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal peroperative chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the management of refractory malignant ascites: A multi-institutional retrospective analysis in 52 patientsM Valle
Department of Surgical Oncology, Digestive Branch, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Surg Oncol 100:331-4. 2009Malignant ascites is a debilitating condition affecting cancer patients in their terminal stage of disease. Recently, laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal peroperative chemotherapy (HIPEC) was introduced as a new approach...
- Interferon-gamma release assay in the ascites: Early hint for diagnosis of abdominal tuberculosisR Lorenz
Dept of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Ulm, Germany
Infection 38:69-72. 2010We report on a 20-year-old woman with abdominal tuberculosis.Standard microbiological examination of ascites showed no acid-fast bacilli (AFB), and analysis for the Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB)-complex DNA by PCR was negative...
- Antitumor activity of silver nanoparticles in Dalton's lymphoma ascites tumor modelMuthu Irulappan Sriram
Department of Biotechnology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Kalasalingam University, Tamilnadu, India
Int J Nanomedicine 5:753-62. 2010..efficacy of biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) as an antitumor agent using Dalton's lymphoma ascites (DLA) cell lines in vitro and in vivo...
- Risk of complications after abdominal paracentesis in cirrhotic patients: a prospective studyAndrea De Gottardi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:906-9. 2009..Complications and technical problems of paracentesis in cirrhotic patients are infrequent. However, the severity and the incidence of these events and their risk factors have not been assessed prospectively...
- Chemotherapy with laparoscope-assisted continuous circulatory hyperthermic intraperitoneal perfusion for malignant ascitesMing Chen Ba
Department of Abdominal Surgery Section 2, Cancer Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510095, Guangdong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:1901-7. 2010..procedure, feasibility and effects of laparoscope-assisted continuous circulatory hyperthermic intraperitoneal perfusion chemotherapy (CHIPC) in treatment of malignant ascites induced by peritoneal carcinomatosis from gastric cancers.
- Secondary Aeromonas peritonitis is associated with polymicrobial ascites culture and absence of liver cirrhosis compared to primary Aeromonas peritonitisLing-Ju Huang
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
APMIS 114:772-8. 2006..011). A source of intraabdominal infection should be sought when Aeromonas peritonitis occurs in a patient who has no history of liver cirrhosis or who has a polymicrobial result of ascites culture.
- TIPS for the treatment of refractory ascites, hepatorenal syndrome and hepatic hydrothorax: a critical updateMartin Rossle
Praxiszentrum, Bertoldstrasse 48, Freiburg, Germany
Gut 59:988-1000. 2010Refractory ascites is a frequent complication of advanced cirrhosis and is associated with hepatorenal syndrome and hepatic hydrothorax...
- An ovarian steroid cell tumor causing virilization and massive ascitesYoung Tae Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 135 Shinchon dong Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 48:142-6. 2007..symptoms such as hirsutism, temporal balding, and amenorrhea are common in these patients; however massive ascites is an infrequent symptom...
- Concurrent aspergillosis and ascites with high mortality in a farm of growing broiler chickensR Zafra
Department of Anatomy and Comparative Pathology, Infectious Diseases Unit, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Campus de Rabanales, Ctra Madrid Cadiz km 396, 14014 Cordoba, Spain
Avian Dis 52:711-3. 2008..At necropsy, severe ascites, right heart hypertrophy, pulmonary congestion, and extensive multifocal granulomatous pneumonia were recorded...
- [Refractory ascites in hemodialysis: treatment by paracentesis- reinjection during dialysis]M Touam
Service de néphrologie et INSERM U 507, Hopital Necker, Paris
Nephrologie 22:25-8. 2001..patients, one male and one female, aged 46 and 54 years, were treated with preceed respectively for refractory ascites secondary to hepatic cirrhosis and for large polycystic liver...
- Cyclic AMP-phosphodiesterases inhibitor improves sodium excretion in rats with cirrhosis and ascitesMina Ahloulay
, INSERM U-481, , 92118 Clichy, France
Liver Int 25:403-9. 2005..Renal function was studied by the clearance technique in anesthetized control and cirrhotic rats with or without ascites. cAMP phosphodiesterase (PDE) activity was measured in the renal cortex in vitro...
- Peritoneovenous shunting for nongynecologic malignant ascitesS C Bieligk
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA
Cancer 91:1247-55. 2001BACKGROUND: The development of malignant ascites has been associated with a poor prognosis. Previous reports have documented high morbidity rates associated with placement of palliative peritoneovenous shunts (PVS)...
- A novel technique to treat ruptured umbilical hernias in patients with liver cirrhosis and severe ascitesMarc L Melcher
Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 13:331-2. 2003..Here, we present a case report of the use of a novel technique to treat a patient with this condition. The use of a fibrin-based tissue adhesive provides a means of managing such patients medically...
- Doxorubicin levels in the serum and ascites of patients with ovarian cancerW H Gotlieb
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine, Suite A 632, Montreal, QC H3T 1E2, Canada
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:213-5. 2007To investigate the diffusion and accumulation of doxorubicin metabolites in the ascites of patients with ovarian cancer following intravenous injection, as a model for intraperitoneal accumulation of drugs.
- Uncovered transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for refractory ascites: a meta-analysisGennaro D'Amico
Unit of Gastroenterology, Ospedale V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Gastroenterology 129:1282-93. 2005..transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) is superior to paracentesis for the control of refractory ascites. However, the results for encephalopathy and mortality were not consistent across trials...
- Paracrine action of sFLT-1 secreted by stably-transfected Ehrlich ascites tumor cells and therapy using sFLT-1 inhibits ascites tumor growth in vivoSunitha Ramachandra
Department of Studies in Biotechnology, University of Mysore, Mysore, 570006 Karanataka, India
J Gene Med 11:422-34. 2009..In the present study, we have developed and tested strategies targeted specifically to VEGF for the treatment of ascites formation.
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the diaphragm and gastrointestinal tracts with the use of artificial ascites: safety and technical efficacy in 143 patientsInyoung Song
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50, IlWon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Eur Radiol 19:2630-40. 2009..was to assess the feasibility, safety and efficacy of radiofrequency ablation (RFA) with the use of artificial ascites for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) adjacent to the diaphragm and gastrointestinal tract...
- Comparison of percutaneous management techniques for recurrent malignant ascitesStefanie Rosenberg
Department of Radiology, Northwestern University, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:1129-31. 2004..drainage of malignant pleural effusions; however, there is limited literature describing its use in malignant ascites. The authors compared the safety and efficacy of two percutaneous drainage methods: large volume paracentesis and ..
- Hepatic hydrothorax in the absence of ascites: respiratory failure in a cirrhotic patientJordi Serrat
Servei d Anestesiologia i Reanimació, Hospital General de Vic, C Francesc Pla s n, 08500 Vic, Barcelona, Spain
Anesth Analg 99:1803-4, table of contents. 2004..Although most often accompanied by significant ascites, it can occur in its absence...
- Ascites due to right atrial myxoma in a haemodialysis patientAnindya Banerjee
University College London, Centre for Nephrology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
BMC Nephrol 7:4. 2006..Persistent fluid overload in patients on renal replacement therapy despite good dialysis adequacy or obvious cardiac dysfunction should prompt a search for rarer causes...
- Ascites reinfusion dialysis (ARD) for renal failure with refractory ascitesR L McGill
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, West Penn Allegheny Health System, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Clin Nephrol 62:374-9. 2004Dialysis is difficult for patients who have simultaneous liver and kidney failure. Effective mobilization of ascites is rare, and hypotension is common...
- TIPS versus peritoneovenous shunt in the treatment of medically intractable ascites: a prospective randomized trialAlexander S Rosemurgy
Department of Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Ann Surg 239:883-9; discussion 889-91. 2004..a prospective randomized clinical trial comparing TIPS to peritoneovenous (PV) shunts in the treatment of medically intractable ascites to establish relative efficacy and morbidity, and thereby superiority, between these shunts.
- Prostate cancer with metastasis to the omentum and massive ascites: a rare manifestation of a common diseaseFlora Zagouri
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Athens University, School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Onkologie 32:758-61. 2009..The most common sites of metastasis in prostate cancer include bone and regional lymph nodes followed by lung, liver, and brain. Peritoneal metastasis without skeletal involvement is extremely rare...
- Eosinophilic ascites in a patient with toxocara canis infection. A case reportOlimpia Chira
3rd Medical Clinic, and University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj Napoca, Romania
Rom J Gastroenterol 14:397-400. 2005We report the case of a young female patient, admitted for a recent ascites of unknown origin. The acute onset was with colicky abdominal pain and peritoneal effusion, which led to the suspicion of perforated ulcer...
- Clinical and diagnostic significance of preoperative computed tomography findings of ascites in patients with advanced gastric cancerKazuhito Yajima
Division of Digestive and General Surgery, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Japan
Am J Surg 192:185-90. 2006BACKGROUND: The relationship between ascites, as detected by preoperative computed tomography (CT), and peritoneal metastasis of gastric cancer requires clarification because of its likely significance for clinical outcome...
- Umbilical hernia repair in the presence of cirrhosis and ascites: results of a survey and review of the literatureA McKay
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Centre, University of Manitoba, GF 441, 820 Sherbrook St, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9, Canada
Hernia 13:461-8. 2009..The objective of this paper was to evaluate the indications, selection criteria, and technical aspects of umbilical hernia repair in patients with cirrhosis and ascites.
- Risk factors and management of ascites after liver resection to treat hepatocellular carcinomaTakeaki Ishizawa
Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Arch Surg 144:46-51. 2009To identify risk factors for a massive amount of ascites after liver resection to treat hepatocellular carcinoma and to evaluate our postoperative management strategy.
- Portopulmonary hypertension in decompensated cirrhosis with refractory ascitesF S Benjaminov
Division of Gastroenterology, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gut 52:1355-62. 2003BACKGROUND: The prevalence of portopulmonary hypertension (PPHTN) in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites is unknown...
- The management of ascites and hyponatremia in cirrhosisPere Gines
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic and University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi Sunyer, Ciber de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas, Barcelona, Spain
Semin Liver Dis 28:43-58. 2008b>Ascites is the most common complication of cirrhosis and is associated with an increased risk for the development of infections, dilutional hyponatremia, renal failure, and mortality...
- Percutaneous peritoneovenous shunt for treatment of refractory ascitesJong Yun Won
Departments of Radiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, 120 752, Seoul, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:1717-22. 2008To evaluate the usefulness of a percutaneously placed peritoneovenous shunt (PVS) in patients with refractory ascites.
- Renal resistive index and renal function before and after paracentesis in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and tense ascitesAndreas Umgelter
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:152-6. 2009..To assess the effect of reducing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) by paracentesis on renal resistive index (RI), hemodynamics and renal function...
- Sonographically guided peritoneal catheter placement in the palliation of malignant ascites in end-stage malignanciesSergio Sartori
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Interventional Ultrasound, St. Anna Hospital, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1618-20. 2002
- Inhibitory effect of Abrus abrin-derived peptide fraction against Dalton's lymphoma ascites modelSujit K Bhutia
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721302, West Bengal, India
Phytomedicine 16:377-85. 2009..Kaplan-Meier survival analysis showed an effective antitumor response (104.6 increase in life span (ILS) %) with a dose of 100 microg/kg body weight...
- The effect of ascites, mass volume, and peritoneal carcinomatosis on serum CA125 levels in patients with ovarian carcinomaU Saygili
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Int J Gynecol Cancer 12:438-42. 2002The aim of this study is to investigate the effects of ascites, ovarian mass volume, and peritoneal carcinomatosis on serum CA125 levels in patients with nonmucinous epithelial ovarian carcinoma...
- Preoperative staging of gastric cancer by endoscopic ultrasound: the prognostic usefulness of ascites detected by endoscopic ultrasoundChien-Hua Chen
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Changhua Show-Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changua, Taiwan
J Clin Gastroenterol 35:321-7. 2002..EUS) is the standard modality in local preoperative staging of gastric cancers and is reputedly able to detect ascites. However, the association between ascites detected by EUS and local tumor staging, peritoneal carcinomatosis, or ..
- Increased expression of dipeptidyl peptidase IV in human mesothelial cells by malignant ascites from ovarian carcinoma patientsH Kajiyama
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Oncology 63:158-65. 2002..There are many bioactive peptides in ascites and these peptides are involved in carcinoma cell dissemination and infiltration...
- Ruptured umbilical hernia in a case of alcoholic cirrhosis with massive ascitesJacqueline Granese
Seton Hall University Surgical Residency Program at St. Francis Medical Center, Trenton, New Jersey 08629, USA
Am Surg 68:733-4. 2002Umbilical hernias are common in patients with cirrhosis of the liver and ascites. However, spontaneous rupture of the hernia is not frequently seen. This is a serious complication and carries a high mortality...
- Toxocariasis causing eosinophilic ascitesAndrea T Cruz
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:563-4. 2008Eosinophilic ascites in the absence of gastroenteritis is uncommon in children. We report the case of a 13-year-old girl with eosinophilic ascites caused by Toxocara, only the second reported case in the literature...
- Palliative treatment of malignant refractory ascites by positioning of Denver peritoneovenous shuntClaudio Zanon
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Azienda Ospedaliera San Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
Tumori 88:123-7. 2002Malignant ascites is relatively common in patients with certain types of end-stage cancer. Traditional treatments based on fluid and salt restriction and diuretic therapy often are not able to contain neoplastic ascites...
- Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasonography in diagnosing ascites and predicting peritoneal metastases in gastric cancer patientsY T Lee
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin NT, Hong Kong, China
Gut 54:1541-5. 2005..Preoperative diagnosis of peritoneal metastases (PM) is difficult in patients with gastric cancer (GC)...
- Neonatal urinary ascites secondary to urinary bladder ruptureNikhil Vasdev
Department of Pediatric Urology, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Pediatr Urol 5:100-4. 2009..radiology and clinical management of four neonates with spontaneous urinary bladder rupture and secondary urinary ascites seen in 1984 and two recent cases seen in 2007...
- Improved quality of life in patients with refractory or recidivant ascites after insertion of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntsVeit Gulberg
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum of the University of Munich Grosshadern, Germany
Digestion 66:127-30. 2002..portosystemic shunt (TIPS) is more effective than paracentesis in the treatment of cirrhotic patients with severe ascites and can prolong survival in selected patients...
- Effects of dietary L-carnitine and coenzyme Q10 at different supplemental ages on growth performance and some immune response in ascites-susceptible broilersAilian Geng
College of Animal Science and Technology, The State Key Lab of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University, Beijing, PR China
Arch Anim Nutr 61:50-60. 2007..coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) at different supplemental ages on performance and some immune response were investigated in ascites-susceptible broilers...
- Long-term efficacy of torsemide compared with frusemide in cirrhotic patients with ascitesR Abecasis
Liver Unit, Hospital de Gastroenterología Dr B Udaondo, Universidad del Salvador, School of Medicine, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Scand J Gastroenterol 36:309-13. 2001..However, torsemide long-term effects and complications have not been sufficiently investigated. The aim was to compare the efficacy and safety of torsemide versus frusemide in cirrhotic patients with uncomplicated ascites.
- Fetal urinary bladder rupture and urinary ascites secondary to posterior urethral valves. A case reportM Lacher
Kinderchirurgische Klinik im Dr von Haunerschen Kinderspital, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 17:217-20. 2007..We report on a boy with in utero bladder perforation and urinary ascites secondary to posterior urethral valves...
- Weekly Paclitaxel after failure of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer patients with malignant ascites: a retrospective studyTakehito Shukuya
Division of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Shizuoka Cancer Center, 1007, Nagaizumi, Shizuoka 411 8777, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:1135-8. 2010..be candidates for chemotherapy after failure in the first-line chemotherapy, especially those with malignant ascites. The safety and efficacy of weekly paclitaxel therapy was evaluated for pancreatic cancer patients with malignant ..
- Phyllanthus amarus inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in Dalton's lymphoma ascites cells through activation of caspase-3 and downregulation of Bcl-2Kuzhuvelil B Harikumar
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala, India com
Integr Cancer Ther 8:190-4. 2009The authors found in an earlier study that Phyllanthus amarus extract could significantly inhibit the solid and ascites tumor development in mice induced by Dalton's lymphoma ascites (DLA) cells...
- Lymphoma presenting as peritoneal lymphomatosis with ascitesShuo Chun Weng
Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 71:646-50. 2008..woman was diagnosed with disseminated peritoneal lymphoma with gastric and rectal involvement and marked ascites. Flow cytometry of the surface markers for ascites showed positive results for CD19, CD20 and CD45...
- [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunts or paracentesis in the treatment of cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites]Mark A Ainsworth
Amtssygehuset i Herlev, Medicinsk Gastroenterologisk Afdeling C, Herlev
Ugeskr Laeger 167:3273-6. 2005
- [Diagnosis of spontaneous ascites infection in patients with cirrhosis: reagent strips]B Wisniewski
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, Centre Hospitalier Sud Francilien, quartier du Canal Courcouronnes, 91014 Evry Cedex
Presse Med 34:997-1000. 2005..the sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values of dipstick testing (DT) for detecting spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP), defined by an ascites neutrophil polymorphonuclear cell count > or = 250/mm3, in patients with cirrhosis.
- Management of refractory ascitesAndres Cardenas
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:1187-91. 2005
- Portal hypertensionGuadalupe Garcia-Tsao
Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine and Connecticut VA, Healthcare System, New Haven, 06510, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 22:254-62. 2006..Significant advances in the pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of the complications of portal hypertension that have occurred in the last year are reported...
- Molecular mechanism of antiangiogenic properties of gold nanoparticlePriyabrata Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is likely that it will bind to all the pro-angiogenic heparin-binding growth factors present in the ascites and inhibit their function...
- ESOPHAGEAL VARICES BY B-ADRENERGIC BLOCKERSRoberto Groszmann; Fiscal Year: 2003..but because it may prevent or delay the development of other complications of portal hypertension, such a ascites. This ongoing multi-center, prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial was designed with the ..
- Identification of pancreatic cancer specific high affinity targeting ligandsPAPPANAICKEN KUMARESAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..can be used for imaging and to trap circulating cancer cells in the biological fluids such as blood, pancreatic ascites and stool...
- STRUCTURE/BIOSYNTHESIS OF TUMOR SIALOMUCIN COMPLEXKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 1999..is focused on a novel cell surface glycoprotein complex (sialomucin complex, SMC), originally isolated from ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma...
- Regulation of Ovarian Cancer Multidrug Resistance by MAP KinasesScott T Eblen; Fiscal Year: 2010..We generated phospho-specific antibodies and have shown SPF45 phosphorylation in human ascites and in cell lines in response to chemotherapeutic drugs, oxidative stress, phorbol esters and UV irradiation...
- PREVENTION OF ESOPHAGEAL VARICES BY B-ADRENERGIC BLOCKERRoberto Groszmann; Fiscal Year: 1993..time beta- blocker therapy is initiated, since in these studies patients already have varices and frequently have ascites. Experimental studies have shown that propranolol therapy, administered in the early stages of portal ..
- HER2 LIGAND IN HUMAN BREAST TUMORSKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 2001..is focused on a novel cell surface glycoprotein complex (sialomucin complex, SMC), originally isolated from ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma...
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionStephen Hall; Fiscal Year: 2006..major complications of cirrhosis such as bleeding from gastroesophageal varices, hepatic encephalopathy, and ascites. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) and other surgical shunts are performed to manage these ..
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionJ Gorski; Fiscal Year: 2005..major complications of cirrhosis such as bleeding from gastroesophageal varices, hepatic encephalopathy, and ascites. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) and other surgical shunts are performed to manage these ..
- Synergistic actions by multiple Toll-like receptors in alcoholic liver diseaseEkihiro Seki; Fiscal Year: 2010..Not only LPS, but also bacterial DNA levels in blood and ascites are elevated in patients with alcoholic-induced liver cirrhosis...
- OCULAR SURFACE PROTECTION BY SIALOMUCIN COMPLEXKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 2002..SMC was originally identified and isolated from membranes of ascites sublines of the highly metastatic 13762 rat mammary adenocarcinoma and is composed of a mucin subunit ASGP-1 (..
- Novel, cost-effective production of immunoaffinity AbsScott Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2006..including culture of hybridomas, re-introduction of hybridomas into mice and subsequent generation of ascites and transfection of mammalian cell lines with specific heavy and light chain antibody genes...
- TRIPTYCENE ANALOGS--NOVEL BIFUNCTIONAL ANTICANCER DRUGSJean Pierre Perchellet; Fiscal Year: 2004..TT2 derivatives can inhibit tumor development in vivo and prolong the survival of mice challenged with ascites (L1210) or solid tumors with metastatic potential (Lewis lung carcinoma and B16F10 melanoma)...
- Gene Regulation for Drug Targeting in AMLManohar Ratnam; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ATRA effect conferred a substantial therapeutic benefit, on FR-targeted liposomal doxorubicin, in a mouse ascites tumor model of AML...