Genomes and Genes
extrinsic allergic alveolitis
Summary: Conditions in which inhalation of organic dusts results in hypersensitivity reactions at the alveolar level, associated with the production of precipitins.
Publications160 found, 100 shown here
- Gene expression profiles distinguish idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis from hypersensitivity pneumonitisMoises Selman
Neurocrine Biosciences, 12790 El Camino Real, San Diego, CA 92130, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:188-98. 2006....
- Needs and opportunities for research in hypersensitivity pneumonitisJordan N Fink
DLD/NHLBI, Two Rockledge Center, 6701 Rockledge Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892-7952, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:792-8. 2005....
- Chemokine production during hypersensitivity pneumonitisStephanie Nance
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Department of Molecular Sciences, Memphis 38163, USA
Eur J Immunol 34:677-85. 2004..These results suggest that IFN-gamma mediates the recruitment of CXCR3+/CD4+ T cells into the lung via production of the chemokines IP-10, Mig, and I-TAC, resulting in granuloma formation...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: current concepts and future questionsA M Patel
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 108:661-70. 2001Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (extrinsic allergic alveolitis) caused by inhaled allergens can progress to disabling or even fatal end-stage lung disease. The only truly effective treatment is early recognition and control of exposure...
- Metal working fluid-associated hypersensitivity pneumonitis: an outbreak investigation and case-control studyJ Fox
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Field Epidemiology, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Ind Med 35:58-67. 1999..Reactivity to used but not unused MWF suggests a biocontaminant, probably bacteria or fungi, is the causative antigen in the development of HP in this setting...
- Mycobacterial contamination of metalworking fluids: involvement of a possible new taxon of rapidly growing mycobacteriaJ S Moore
Department of Nuclear Engineering, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843 3133, USA
AIHAJ 61:205-13. 2000..The relationship of this mycobacterium to the cases of HP is unknown...
- Diffuse pulmonary disease caused by nontuberculous mycobacteria in immunocompetent people (hot tub lung)A Khoor
Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 115:755-62. 2001..These findings suggest that disease due to NTM may manifest as diffuse infiltrates in immunocompetent adults and that hot tub use may be an important risk factor for this disease pattern...
- Metalworking fluid with mycobacteria and endotoxin induces hypersensitivity pneumonitis in micePeter S Thorne
The University of Iowa, College of Public Health, 100 Oakdale Campus, IREH Iowa City, IA 52242 5000, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:759-68. 2006..Other constituents of in-use metalworking fluids (MWFs) may also contribute to the development of lung disease. We investigated the potential for Mycobacterium immunogenum (MI) in MWFs to induce HP...
- Clinical diagnosis of hypersensitivity pneumonitisYves Lacasse
Centre de Pneumologie, Hopital Laval, Universite Laval, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:952-8. 2003..The rule retained its accuracy when validated in a separate cohort of 261 patients. The diagnosis of HP can often be made or rejected with confidence, especially in areas of high or low prevalence, respectively, without BAL or biopsy...
- [Case of pulmonary mycobacterium avium complex disease, showing hypersensitivity pneumonitis-like diffuse shadow]Rina Ohashi
Department of Respiratory Disease, National Hospital Organization Tokyo National Hospital, Japan
Kekkaku 81:19-23. 2006..Although we did not examine the presence of Mycobacterium avium in the water of sauna bath, we suspected this case as Hot Tub Lung based on clinical features and the response to treatment...
- Mycobacterial aerosols and respiratory diseaseJoseph O Falkinham
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:763-7. 2003..Disinfection may select for the predominance and growth of mycobacteria. Therefore, mycobacteria may be responsible, in part, for many outbreaks of hypersensitivity pneumonitis and other respiratory problems in the workplace and home...
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 9-2005. A 67-year-old man with acute respiratory failureDavid M Systrom
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1238-46. 2005
- Characterization of functional, radiologic and lung function recovery post-treatment of hot tub lung. A case report and review of the literatureNathaniel Marchetti
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Lung 182:271-7. 2004..Prednisone therapy offered minimal further improvement while anti-MAC therapy provided no further improvement. These results are suggestive of a hypersensitivity pneumonitis rather than an infectious etiology...
- Mycobacterium immunogenum causes hypersensitivity pneumonitis-like pathology in miceTerry Gordon
Institute of Environmental Medicine, New York University, School of Medicine, Tuxedo, New York, USA
Inhal Toxicol 18:449-56. 2006..immunogenum is an unrecognized class of microorganisms capable of causing hypersensitivity pneumonitis and plays a role in the outbreaks of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in automotive plants...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis associated with Mycobacterium avium complex and hot tub useOtis B Rickman
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:1233-7. 2002..Hypersensitivity to MAC, rather than an infection, is the likely underlying mechanism in these 2 cases of hot tub lung...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis associated with hot tub useJohn M Travaline
Arch Intern Med 163:2250; author reply 2250-1. 2003
- Hot tub-related Mycobacterium avium intracellulare pneumonitisAmin Mery
Immunology, Rheumatology, Allergy Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 23:271-3. 2002....
- Hot-tub lung: hypersensitivity to Mycobacterium avium but not hypersensitivity pneumonitisRitesh Agarwal
Respir Med 100:1478. 2006
- Extrinsic allergic alveolitis caused by misting fountainsDirk Koschel
Zusamklinik der LVA Schwaben, Pneumology, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, Paracelsusstr 3, 86441 Zusmarshausen, Germany
Respir Med 99:943-7. 2005..A diagnosis of extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA) or toxic alveolitis was made on the basis of the history and the clinical, radiological, ..
- Extrinsic allergic alveolitisTengku Ismail
Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Shah Alam, Malaysia, and North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Respirology 11:262-8. 2006b>Extrinsic allergic alveolitis (also known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis) is caused by repeated inhalation of mainly organic antigens by sensitized subjects...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis reaction to Mycobacterium avium in household waterTheodore K Marras
Division of Respirology, Toronto Western Hospital, Edith Cavell 4 022, 399 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2S8
Chest 127:664-71. 2005..Hypersensitivity pneumonitis has been described with exposure to aerosolized Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) in indoor hot tubs (hot tub lung)...
- [A case of hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by inhalation of Mycobacterium avium from a home bath with a circulating water system]Hirotsugu Kenmotsu
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Shizuoka General Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 43:689-92. 2005..We believe the case is hypersensitivity pneumonitis to MAC in an immunocompetent patient, simulating hot tub lung. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by MAC is rare in Japan...
- IgG antibodies typical for extrinsic allergic alveolitis--an inter-laboratory quality assessmentW Aberer
Division of Environmental Dermatology, Department of Dermatology, Auenbruggerplatz 8, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Eur J Med Res 6:498-504. 2001Determination of specific IgG antibodies is important for the diagnosis of extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA)...
- Metalworking fluid--the toxicity of a complex mixtureTerry Gordon
NYU School of Medicine, Tuxedo, New York 10987, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:209-19. 2004..This review discusses the methodologies used to examine the toxicity of the complex nature of modern metalworking fluids and the findings that point toward bacterial endotoxin as a major contributor to their adverse effects...
- An outbreak of hypersensitivity pneumonitis at a metalworking plant: a longitudinal assessment of intervention effectivenessAnne Bracker
University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 18:96-108. 2003..1, df = 7, p <.0002). Measured oil mist air levels did not exceed the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA's) permissible exposure limit (PEL), and in fact, did not exceed 0.5 mg/m(3)...
- The hypersensitivity pneumonitis diagnostic index: use of non-invasive testing to diagnose hypersensitivity pneumonitis in metalworkersKenneth H Dangman
Department of Medicine, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut 06030, USA
Am J Ind Med 42:150-62. 2002..The HP diagnostic index could provide a useful tool in future HP outbreaks, which are increasingly being recognized in metalworking facilities...
- Hot tub lung: presenting features and clinical course of 21 patientsViktor Hanak
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Respir Med 100:610-5. 2006..Although corticosteroids may be helpful in the treatment of severely affected patients, others can be managed by avoidance of additional exposure alone...
- Production of soluble tumor necrosis factor receptors and tumor necrosis factor-alpha by alveolar macrophages in sarcoidosis and extrinsic allergic alveolitisHuaping Dai
Department of Penumology and Allergy, Ruhrlandklinik, Medical Faculty, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Chest 127:251-6. 2005..tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of sarcoidosis and extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA)...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis from ordinary residential exposuresM J Apostolakos
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:979-81. 2001..We propose that hypersensitivity pneumonitis may occur in North America, as it does in Japan, from domestic exposures alone...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis from Pezizia domiciliana. A case of El Niño lungR S Wright
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1758-61. 1999..Open lung biopsy revealed extrinsic allergic alveolitis (hypersensitivity pneumonitis)...
- Experimental hypersensitivity pneumonitis: role of MCP-1Mark Schuyler
Department of Medicine, Albequerque Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of New Mexico, 87108, USA
J Lab Clin Med 142:187-95. 2003..We conclude that interaction of MCP-1 with CCR2 is not necessary for the development of pulmonary inflammation in response to intratracheally administered S rectivirgula or cells able to adoptively transfer experimental HP...
- [Prevalence of extrinsic allergic alveolitis in cattle breeders from the province of Reggio Emilia]F Ferri
Distretto di Scandiano, Via Martiri della libertà 8, 42019 Scandiano, re
Med Lav 94:380-90. 2003Several new cases of Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis or Farmer's Lung (FL) in farm workers were reported to Occupational Health Services in the province of Reggio Emilia (Italy)...
- Machine operator's lung. A hypersensitivity pneumonitis disorder associated with exposure to metalworking fluid aerosolsD I Bernstein
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, OH, USA
Chest 108:636-41. 1995..Observed precipitin responses to a variety of microbial contaminants in metalworking fluid strongly suggest a causative role for microbial antigens in the induction and elicitation of this manifestation of hypersensitivity pneumonitis...
- Mycobacterium sp. as a possible cause of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in machine workersB G Shelton
PathCon Laboratories, Norcross, Georgia 30092, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:270-3. 1999..Retrospective review of samples submitted to our laboratory showed an association between presence of mycobacteria and HP...
- Significance of precipitins and asymptomatic lymphocytic alveolitis: a 20-yr follow-upY Cormier
Unite de Recherche, Centre de Pneumologie, Dept de Radiologie, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Hopital Laval, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada, G1V 4G5
Eur Respir J 23:523-5. 2004..Serum precipitins and asymptomatic lymphocytic alveolitis in an asymptomatic, exposed dairy farmer have no clinically meaningful long-term consequences...
- [Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: a technical note on precipitins]G Reboux
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie, , , France
Rev Mal Respir 20:140-3. 2003
- CCL18/DC-CK-1/PARC up-regulation in hypersensitivity pneumonitisA Pardo
Facultad de Ciencias,
J Leukoc Biol 70:610-6. 2001..High levels of CCL18 were detected in the subacute rather than the chronic phase of HP. These findings suggest a role for CCL18 in the pathogenesis of HP...
- [Mold fungi as disease agents. Sick people in sick houses?]P Stiefelhagen
MMW Fortschr Med 146:4-6. 2004
- Flow cytometric detection of cell-associated interleukin-8 in alveolar macrophages in vivo from patients with hypersensitivity pneumonitis and sarcoidosisS Fujishima
Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 64:237-43. 2004..However, the source of IL-8 may be different and AMs are the candidate source of IL-8 in HP, but not in SAR. The flow cytometric method may be useful in assessing cytokines production by AMs...
- Functional diversity of T-cell subpopulations in subacute and chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitisLourdes Barrera
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Tlalpan 4502, CP 14080, Mexico DF, Mexico
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:44-55. 2008..Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) exhibits a diverse outcome. Patients with acute/subacute HP usually improve, whereas patients with chronic disease often progress to fibrosis. However, the mechanisms underlying this difference are unknown...
- Expansion of pulmonary CD8+CD56+ natural killer T-cells in hypersensitivity pneumonitisPeter Korosec
Laboratory of Immunology and Molecular Biology, University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases, Golnik, Slovenia
Chest 132:1291-7. 2007..Natural killer T (NKT) cells, a newly identified subgroup of T cells with immunoregulatory function, may be implicated in the pathogenesis of interstitial lung disease (ILD)...
- Granuloma associated with Trichosporon asahii infection in the lung: Unusual pathological findings and PCR detection of Trichosporon DNAMasamitsu Nakajima
Faculty of Health Science, Hiroshima International University, Kurose Higashihiroshima, Japan
Med Mycol 45:641-4. 2007..This case suggests that Trichosporon infection may develop into granuloma with multinucleated giant cells...
- Ground-glass opacity: interpretation of high resolution CT findingsGiuseppe Battista
Dipartimento Clinico di Scienze Radiologiche e Istocitopatologiche, Sezione Diagnostica per Immagini, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Universita degli Studi, Bologna, Italy
Radiol Med 106:425-42; quiz 443-4. 2003..This distinction can be made by evaluating the vessel calibre and air trapping on expiratory scans...
- [Extrinsic allergic alveolitis]S Pabst
Medizinische Poliklinik, , Wilhelmstrasse 35-37, D-53111 Bonn. E-Mail
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:643-8. 2004
- Uniportal VATS wedge pulmonary resectionsGaetano Rocco
The Price Thomas Thoracic Unit, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 77:726-8. 2004..This initial experience shows that, for specific indications, uniportal video-assisted thoracic surgery for wedge pulmonary resections can be safe and effective...
- Increased surfactant protein-A levels in patients with newly diagnosed idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisDavid S Phelps
Department of Pediatrics, Penn State College of Medicine, PO Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Chest 125:617-25. 2004..To measure surfactant protein-A (SP-A) in the BAL of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)...
- Interstitial lung diseases: characteristics at diagnosis and mortality risk assessmentMichiel J Thomeer
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Universitaire Ziekenhuizen Leuven, Afdeling Longziekten, Herestraat 49, Leuven B 3000, Belgium
Respir Med 98:567-73. 2004..A Cox regression analysis showed that type of ILD, FVC, age at diagnosis and % of macrophages in BALF predict outcome of patients affected by ILD...
- Bronchoalveolar lavage in interstitial lung diseases: does the recovery rate affect the results?J Schildge
Abteilung Pneumologie, Medizinische Klinik, St Vincentius Kliniken Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany
Respiration 74:553-7. 2007..Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) is an established diagnostic tool in interstitial lung diseases. BAL frequently yields findings of diagnostic value and at times even confirmatory diagnostic results...
- Therapeutic effects for hypersensitivity pneumonitis induced by Japanese mushroom (Bunashimeji)Kenji Tsushima
First Department of Internal Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi, Matsumoto, Japan
Am J Ind Med 49:826-35. 2006..An evaluation of protective measures was initiated using the outcomes of clinical, immunological, and radiological findings...
- A woman with cough, fever, and micronodular infiltrates on chest radiographViranuj Sueblinvong
University of Vermont Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
South Med J 99:873-5. 2006..We describe a patient with HP featuring well-formed granulomas on transbronchial biopsy specimens, a finding believed to be unique to MAC-related HP, also referred to as "hot tub lung"...
- [Occupational hypersensitivity pneumonitis]I Thaon
Service des Maladies Professionnelles, , France
Rev Mal Respir 23:705-25. 2006....
- [Guidelines for diagnosing extrinsic allergic alveolitis (hypersensitivity pneumonitis) (German Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis Study Group)]J Sennekamp
Die Institutsangaben sind am Ende des Beitrags gelistet
Pneumologie 61:52-6. 2007
- What the allergist should know about hypersensitivity pneumonitisRaymond G Slavin
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Missouri 63104, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:25-7. 2007..The immunopathogenesis appears to represent a combination of type III and IV immune responses. Identifying the offending antigen is vital so that appropriate environmental precautions can be carried out...
- Local and circulating microchimerism is associated with hypersensitivity pneumonitisMartha L Bustos
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:90-5. 2007..Microchimerism has been implicated in the pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases, especially in those showing increased incidence after childbearing age...
- Uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery wedge lung biopsy in the diagnosis of interstitial lung diseasesGaetano Rocco
Price-Thomas Thoracic Unit, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:947-8. 2005
- An outbreak of extrinsic alveolitis at a car engine plantPaul Dawkins
Occupational Lung Disease Service, Birmingham Chest Clinic Heart of England NHS Trust, Great Charles Street, Birmingham B3 3HX, UK
Occup Med (Lond) 56:559-65. 2006Twelve workers from a car engine-manufacturing plant presented with extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA), with heterogeneous clinical, radiological and pathological findings...
- Mushroom worker's lung: organic dust exposure in the spawning shedRyan F Hoy
Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Austin Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Med J Aust 186:472-4. 2007..With absence from the workplace and no steroid therapy, the symptoms of both patients subsided and the results of lung function tests and CT scans improved markedly...
- Chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitisAndrew Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 30:201-8. 2006..Despite the presence of extensive fibrosis, some patients responded to removal from exposure and steroid therapy...
- [A familial case of summer-type hypersensitivity pneumonitis possibly associated with bird breeder's lung diagnosed by bronchoalveolar lavage fluid]Kiyoshi Makinodan
Second Department of Interanl Medicine, Nara Medical University Center for Infectious Diseases
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 43:693-9. 2005..Although a positive finding of returning-home provocation test was definitive in diagnosing summer-type hypersensitivity pneumonitis, he was also suspected of having bird fancier's lung...
- The role of bronchoalveolar lavage in diffuse parenchymal lung diseasesGünseli Kilinç
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:417-21. 2005..To evaluate the role of bronchoalveolar lavage in the diagnosis of diffuse parenchymal lung diseases and review the recent literature published within the past 12 months...
- High-resolution computed tomography in hypersensitivity pneumonitis - correlation with pulmonary functionDariusz Ziora
Department of Pneumonology of the Silesian Medical Acatemy, Zabrze, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 12:31-4. 2005..Extent of pathological changes, i.e. nodularity, lines, honeycombing but not ground-glass estimated by HRCT and expressed as a score correlated significantly with lung function abnormalities...
- Update in diffuse parenchymal lung diseases 2005Fernando J Martinez
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0360, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1066-71. 2006
- Expression of tumour necrosis factor receptors by bronchoalveolar cells in hypersensitivity pneumonitisB Chen
Ruhrlandklinik, Tuschener Weg 40, 45239 Essen, Germany
Eur Respir J 25:1039-43. 2005..In conclusion, this study shows evidence of altered expression of tumour necrosis factor superfamily receptors in hypersensitivity pneumonitis...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis associated with environmental mycobacteriaWilliam Beckett
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Occupational Medicine Program and Finger Lakes Occupational Health Services, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:767-70. 2005..The employer, metalworking fluid supplier, union, and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health were notified of this sentinel health event. No further cases have been documented in this workplace...
- [Is it possible to diagnose interstitial pneumonia only with lung imaging?]J P Senac
Imagerie Medicale, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, Montpellier, France
Rev Mal Respir 23:10S92-10S96. 2006
- Expression of the thioredoxin system in interstitial lung diseaseLeena Tiitto
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
J Pathol 201:363-70. 2003....
- Decreased expression of haem oxygenase-1 by alveolar macrophages in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisQ Ye
Dept of Pneumology and Allergology, Ruhrlandklinik, Medical Faculty, 45239 Essen, Germany
Eur Respir J 31:1030-6. 2008..This supports the hypothesis of an oxidant-antioxidant imbalance in the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis...
- MyD88 is necessary for neutrophil recruitment in hypersensitivity pneumonitisStephanie C Nance
Deptartment of Molecular Sciences, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Leukoc Biol 83:1207-17. 2008..rectivirgula exposure. The results from our studies suggest that one or more PRR(s) upstream of MyD88 are necessary for neutrophil recruitment following S. rectivirgula exposure...
- Expression of sarcoidosis related genes in lung lavage cellsRene Thonhofer
Laboratories for Molecular Cytogenetics, Environmental and Respiratory Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Karl Franzens University of Graz, Austria
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 19:59-65. 2002..inflammatory messages, we compared gene expression in sarcoidosis with that of tuberculosis and extrinsic allergic alveolitis. After normalization genes up- or downregulated for a factor of at least 1.8 were further analyzed...
- High-resolution CT in the evaluation of occupational and environmental diseaseMasanori Akira
Department of Radiology, National Kinki Chuo Hospital for Chest Disease, Sakai City, Osaka, Japan
Radiol Clin North Am 40:43-59. 2002..HRCT is useful in achieving more accurate categorization of the parenchymal changes in each type of pneumoconiosis...
- Radiology of acute diffuse lung disease in the immunocompetent hostLoren Ketai
Department of Radiology, UNMHSC, 915 Camino de Salud, Albuquerque, NM 87131-5336, USA
Semin Roentgenol 37:25-36. 2002
- Nonspecific interstitial pneumonitis as the sole histologic expression of hypersensitivity pneumonitisJason S Vourlekis
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Med 112:490-3. 2002
- Elevated levels of thymus- and activation-regulated chemokine in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from patients with eosinophilic pneumoniaEishi Miyazaki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Oita Medical University, Oita, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:1125-31. 2002..Our results, in concordance with previous studies, demonstrate the potential activity of TARC for recruiting Th2 cells to the lungs and suggest a significant role for TARC in the pathogenesis of eosinophilic pneumonia...
- Human bronchoalveolar lavage fluid protein two-dimensional database: study of interstitial lung diseasesR Wattiez
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Mons Hainaut, Belgium
Electrophoresis 21:2703-12. 2000..The significance of the modifications observed between the different lung pathologies is discussed with the aim of understanding the mechanistic bases of lung disease pathogenesis and finding new potential lung markers of disorders...
- High-resolution CT findings of parenchymal fibrosis correlate with prognosis in hypersensitivity pneumonitisViktor Hanak
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Chest 134:133-8. 2008..Changes of pulmonary fibrosis detected on CT may also correlate with prognosis in patients with HP...
- Pathology of hypersensitivity pneumonitisTamiko Takemura
Department of Pathology, Japanese Red Cross Medical Center, Japan
Curr Opin Pulm Med 14:440-54. 2008..This study reviews the previously reported information and provides new insights into the pathological features of chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis...
- [Chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis induced by Shiitake mushroom cultivation: case report and review of literature]Naoko Kai
Department of Infectious Diseases, Oita University Faculty of Medicine
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 46:411-5. 2008..There was a tendency toward increasing lymphocytes and high CD4/CD8 ratio in bronchoalveolar lavage fluids. Treatment with steroids seems to have a limited effect, while avoidance of the antigen is important...
- Effects of single or repeated amphetamine treatment and withdrawal on lung allergic inflammation in ratsA P Ligeiro de Oliveira
Department of Pharmacology, Biomedical Sciences Institute, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 8:1164-71. 2008..The possible involvement of vesicular monoamine transporter type 2 (VMAT2) with these observed effects was discussed...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitisEunhee S Yi
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego 92103 8720, CA, USA
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 39:581-629. 2002....
- Diagnosis of usual interstitial pneumonia and distinction from other fibrosing interstitial lung diseasesAnna Luise A Katzenstein
Departments of Pathology at SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Hum Pathol 39:1275-94. 2008..This review is an attempt to clarify the diagnostic pathologic features of usual interstitial pneumonia and to provide guidelines for its distinction from other interstitial lung diseases that enter the differential diagnosis...
- Thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor and protein C inhibitor in interstitial lung diseaseHajime Fujimoto
Respiratory Division, Third Department of Internal Medicine, Mie University School of Medicine, Edobashi 2-174, Tsu City, Mie 514-8507, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1687-94. 2003..Overall, these findings suggest that thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor and protein C inhibitor may play important roles in the mechanism of intraalveolar hypofibrinolysis associated with interstitial lung diseases...
- Cytokine mRNA expression in isocyanate-induced hypersensitivity pneumonitisYuki Sumi
The Pulmonary Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Respiration 70:284-91. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Patients with diisocyanate-induced HP are likely to override the protective effects of IL-10 as they express lower levels of this cytokine...
- [Exogenous allergic alveolitis: 22 year follow-up of malt worker's lung]H Thomas
St. Elisabeth-Krankenhauses Dorsten
Pneumologie 49:32-4. 1995..Reasons are being sought for the failure of all other diagnostic methods to diagnose exogenous allergic alveolitis. The disease is distinguished from the "organic dust toxic syndrome" by differential diagnosis...
- Blockade of leukocyte function-associated antigen (LFA-1) in a murine model of lung inflammationM Denis
Pulmonary Research Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Canada
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 10:481-6. 1994..From these results, we conclude that the fibrosis and tissue-damaging reactions in hypersensitivity pneumonitis, but not the alveolitis, are partly dependent on LFA-1-mediated cellular interactions.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- [Spinach powder-induced exogenous allergic alveolitis]J Schreiber
Forschungszentrum Borstel, Medizinische Klinik
Pneumologie 52:61-5. 1998..24 hours after exposure bronchoalveolar lavage showed an increase of neutrophils. In lung parenchyma mononuclear interstitial infiltrates and an epitheloid cell granuloma were seen...
- [Clinical research in the field of occupational diseases (pneumonology aspects)]G Rivolta
Dipartimento di Medicina del Lavoro Clinica del Lavoro Luigi Devoto, , Azienda Ospedaliera Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento di Milano
Med Lav 94:59-63. 2003..In extrinsic allergic alveolitis, we noted the presence of a large lymphocytic alveolitis mostly with CD4+/CD8+ reverse ratio, ..
- Chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis: differentiation from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and nonspecific interstitial pneumonia by using thin-section CTC Isabela S Silva
Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, 3350 950 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 4E3
Radiology 246:288-97. 2008....
- Challenges in pulmonary fibrosis: 6--Problematic granulomatous lung diseaseJ L Myers
The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Thorax 63:78-84. 2008..This review focuses on the patterns of granulomatous inflammation that can cause diffuse lung disease, highlighting histopathological features helpful in differential diagnosis...
- Microbial cell wall product contamination of bedding may induce pulmonary inflammation in ratsB Ewaldsson
AstraZeneca R and D, Laboratory Animal Resources, , Sweden
Lab Anim 36:282-90. 2002..The results suggest that further studies need to be undertaken to elucidate the role of microbial cell wall products in the development of inflammatory lung responses among research animals...
- [Chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis complicated by recurrent pneumothorax]Naomi Yamasaki
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka
Nippon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 92:310-2. 2003
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis induced by spores of Lyophyllum aggregatumK Tsushima
First Department of Internal Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Chest 120:1085-93. 2001..However, the chest HRCT images showed the typical subacute phase of HP...
- [Hypersensitivity pneumonitis]V Spinu
U M F Carol Davila Bucuresti, Catedra de Pneumologie
Pneumologia 50:90-6. 2001..Natural history, clinical findings, chest radiography, pulmonary function, immunological investigations, the use of the bronchoalveolar lavage, the prognostic and management of HP are discussed...
- Airborne fungi in industrial environments--potential agents of respiratory diseasesAlbinas Lugauskas
Institute of Botany, Zaliuju ezeru 49, LT 2021 Vilnius, Lithuania
Ann Agric Environ Med 11:19-25. 2004..the identified fungal species are characterized as allergenic and an exposure to their spores may provoke adverse health effects (such as allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma or extrinsic allergic alveolitis) in susceptible individuals.
- Avian circoviruses of the genus Circovirus: A potential trigger in Pigeon breeder's lung (PBL)/Bird fancier's lung (BFL)Petros A Bougiouklis
Clinic of Avian Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, St Voutira 11, 54627 Thessaloniki, Hellas Greece
Med Hypotheses 68:320-3. 2007Pigeon breeder's lung (PBL) or Bird fancier's lung (BFL) is one of the most common extrinsic allergic alveolitis or hypersensitivity pneumonitis...
- [Dental technician's pneumoconiosis; a case report]Canan Karaman Eyüboğlu
Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 56:204-9. 2008Since 1939, it has been known that, silicosis and extrinsic allergic alveolitis can be seen among dental technicians...
- [Isocyanates: occupational exposures and disorders]X Baur
Ordinariat und Zentralinstitut für Arbeitsmedizin, Universitat Hamburg, Germany
Pneumologie 57:526-31. 2003..Obstructive airway diseases are the major disorder caused by isocyanates. Rare cases suffer from extrinsic allergic alveolitis or eczema...
- Leukotrienes, LTC4 and LTB4, in bronchoalveolar lavage in bronchial asthma and other respiratory diseasesA J Wardlaw
Department of Allergy, Cardiothoracic Institute, London, England
J Allergy Clin Immunol 84:19-26. 1989..fibrosing alveolitis [CFA] or idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis), three with sarcoidosis, one with extrinsic allergic alveolitis, one with sulphonamide-induced pneumonia, and one patient with eosinophilic granuloma...
- Induced sputum in interstitial lung diseases: novel insights in the diagnosis, evaluation and researchFoteini Economidou
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete Medical School, Heraklion, Greece
Respiration 77:351-8. 2009..applications of IS in the assessment of fibrotic and granulomatous diseases such as sarcoidosis and extrinsic allergic alveolitis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, connective tissue disorders, occupational lung diseases and other ..
- [Bronchoalveolar lavage findings in patients with diffuse interstitial lung disease: prospective study of a cohort of 562 patients]Luis Jara-Palomares
Neumología, Hospital Sierra Norte, Constantina, Sevilla, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:111-7. 2009..The objective of this study was to perform a descriptive analysis of the cytologic study and of the lymphocyte subpopulations in BAL fluid from patients with interstitial lung disease...
- hnRNP B1 expression in benign and malignant lung diseaseD R J Snead
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, UK
J Pathol 200:88-94. 2003..two cases of sarcoidosis, two cases of organizing pneumonia, and one case each of tuberculosis, extrinsic allergic alveolitis, non-specific interstitial pneumonitis, pneumocystis pneumonia, aspergilloma, respiratory ..
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: a noninfectious granulomatosisO P Sharma
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Semin Respir Infect 10:96-106. 1995Hypersensitivity pneumonitis or extrinsic allergic alveolitis is an immunologically mediated lung disease caused by repeated inhalations of organic antigens...
- The Role of Neutrophils in Hypersensitivity PneumonitisElizabeth Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2009Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP), or extrinsic allergic alveolitis, is an interstitial lung disease that develops following repeated exposure to inhaled environmental antigens...
- The Role of Neutrophils in Hypersensitivity PneumonitisELIZABETH ANN FITZPATRICK; Fiscal Year: 2010Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP), or extrinsic allergic alveolitis, is an interstitial lung disease that develops following repeated exposure to inhaled environmental antigens...
- The Role of Neutrophils in Hypersensitivity PneumonitisElizabeth Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2009Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP), or extrinsic allergic alveolitis, is an interstitial lung disease that develops following repeated exposure to inhaled environmental antigens...
- The Role of Neutrophils in Hypersensitivity PneumonitisElizabeth Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Studies will be done with freshly-dispersed bovine and cultured human airway smooth muscle cells. ..
- Exposure Intervention in a Rural Pediatric Asthma CohortPeter Thorne; Fiscal Year: 2005..Detailed health and home hygiene questionnaires and home inspections will be conducted at baseline and one year later, as will child spirometry. ..
- Novel Therapies in Idiopathic Pulmonary FibrosisFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will become particularly important if translational research is to keep pace as strides are made in the basic immunology, genetics and biochemistry of IPF. ..
- Strategies to Prevent COPD ExacerbationFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Therapeutic Approaches in IPFFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..These protocols will define the role of standard therapy, test the efficacy of targeted combination therapy, and explore the promise of a novel approach to the design and delivery of therapeutic agents for IPF. (End of Abstract) ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES RESEARCH CENTERPeter Thorne; Fiscal Year: 2007..ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTICS Strategic Vision and Impact on Environmental Health ..
- LINKING OCCUPATIONAL INJURY AND ILLNESS DATA BASESKenneth Rosenman; Fiscal Year: 2002..We have assembled an interdisciplinary team consisting of an occupational health physician, epidemiologists, a biostatistician and a computer programmer. We have arranged access to all nine data systems. ..
- IMMUNOPATHOGENESIS OF ALLERGIC ASPERGILLOSISRAYMOND SLAVIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- CALCIUM REGULATION IN SINGLE AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLSJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2000..To address these aims, the principal method is radiometric imaging of [Ca2+]i in single, bovine airway smooth muscle cells loaded with the calcium dye, fura-2. ..
- PULMONARY SURFACTANT EFFECTS ON THE MACROPHAGE PHENOTYPEDAVID PHELPS; Fiscal Year: 2000..The object of these experiments is to confirm that the responses we are obtaining with the in vitro studies resemble the responses of actual immune cells. The volunteers are being used as a source of normal cells. ..
- IMMUNOPATHOGENESIS OF ALLERGIC ASPERGILLOSISRAYMOND SLAVIN; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Genetic/Exposure Interaction in Beryllium DiseaseKenneth Rosenman; Fiscal Year: 2003..0% of the cohort has developed these changes. The results of this study will help to elucidate the underlying mechanism of beryllium sensitization and chronic disease. ..
- PULMONARY SURFACTANT EFFECTS ON THE MACROPHAGE PHENOTYPEDAVID PHELPS; Fiscal Year: 2002..The object of these experiments is to confirm that the responses we are obtaining with the in vitro studies resemble the responses of actual immune cells. The volunteers are being used as a source of normal cells. ..
- INHALED PARTICLE CHARACTERISTICS AND EARLY LUNG EFFECTSWilliam Beckett; Fiscal Year: 2002..We anticipate that the results will help to determine whether there are differential effects for equal mass exposures to fine particles of different size fractions in the pathogenesis of COPD ..