- Incidence of HPV in primary and metastatic squamous cell carcinomas of the aerodigestive tract: implications for the establishment of clonal relationships
Histopathology 48:605-7. 2006
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology members' experience with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis and the use of adjuvant therapy
Eastern Virginia Medical School and the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters, Norfolk, VA 23507-1914, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:1039-42. 2004
..There has been an evolution in the past decade toward the increased use of antiviral adjuvant therapy and the use of microdebrider techniques for surgical management...
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: cytopathological findings in an unusual case
Anil V Parwani
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287-6417, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 31:407-12. 2004
..To our knowledge, morphological findings of RRP have been reported rarely...
- Neck dissection shoulder syndrome: quantification and three-dimensional evaluation with an optoelectronic tracking system
Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital (Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:939-46. 2003
..The Constant scores were significantly lower after RND than after MRND (p < .01). Three-dimensional evaluation of the shoulder syndrome supports the Constant score, quantifying what can be measured objectively...
- Lower airway papillomatosis in children
Department of Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology, The Medical University of Warsaw, 24 Marszałkowska Str, 00 576 Warsaw, Poland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:1117-21. 2003
..In differential diagnosis of these changes in the lungs we should take into consideration the presence of papilloma in the bronchi. A prognosis of papillomatosis in the lower airways in children is always serious...
- Cancer incidence among union carpenters in New Jersey
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Occup Environ Med 45:1059-67. 2003
..48) in analyses that lagged results 15 years from initial union membership. Additional etiologic research is needed to evaluate possible occupational and nonoccupational risk factors for testicular cancer...
- Carotid artery invasion by squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: the predictive value of CT imaging
P A Nix
ENT SpR Yorkshire Region, Academic Surgical Unit, Research and Development Building, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham HU16 5JQ, UK
Int J Clin Pract 57:628-30. 2003
..Comparing the scans with the operative findings indicates that CT scans significantly overestimate carotid artery invasion...
- Socioeconomic inequalities in alcohol related cancer mortality among men: to what extent do they differ between Western European populations?
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 121:649-55. 2007
..This study suggests that alcohol use substantially influences socioeconomic inequalities in male cancer mortality in France, Spain and Switzerland but not in the Nordic countries and nor in Belgium...
- 2',5'-Oligoadenylate synthetase activity analysis and human papilloma virus typing as prognostic factors in patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Department of Paediatric Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55101 Mainz, Germany
J Laryngol Otol 118:750-6. 2004
- Analysis of sex, age and disease factors contributing to prolonged life expectancy at birth, in cases of malignant neoplasms in Japan
Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Japan
J Epidemiol 13:169-75. 2003
..It is necessary to analyze the contribution made by various causes of death to the changes of life expectancy at birth...
- Regional, disease specific patterns of smoking-attributable mortality in 2000
Harvard School of Public Health, Population and International Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Tob Control 13:388-95. 2004
..Mortality attributable to smoking in the year 2000 was estimated for adult males and females, including estimates by age and for specific diseases in 14 epidemiological subregions of the world...
- Clinical course of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis in Danish children
Michael J Silverberg
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:711-6. 2004
..To evaluate the clinical course of juvenile-onset recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RP) with respect to age, disease duration, and maternal condylomas...
- Human papilloma virus (HPV)-associated gynecological alteration in mothers of children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis during long-term observation
Department of Pediatric Pathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Mainz, Germany
Cancer Detect Prev 31:276-81. 2007
..The study' purpose was to investigate the relation between a mother's gynecological history and the local status of her child with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP)...
- Cidofovir for the treatment of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: a review of the literature
Department of Pharmacy Services, University of Michigan Health System, University Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0008, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:977-89. 2005
..Further studies are necessary to determine the most appropriate dose, frequency, and duration of therapy, and to fully characterize the safety profile profile of cidofovir when given intralesionally...
- Diagnosis and management of pulmonary metastasis from recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Robert D Silver
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:622-9. 2003
..In addition, aggressive treatment, although not proved to eradicate the pulmonary disease, should be undertaken due to the high morbidity and mortality associated with pulmonary dissemination of RRP in our cohort...
- Predictors of remission in juvenile-onset recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:1275-8. 2003
..Sex and race were not important factors in determining remission...
- [Diagnostic imaging of cancer]
Országos Onkológiai Intézet, Budapest 1122, Hungary
Magy Onkol 48:167-90. 2004
..The comprehensive cancer centers with all the necessary imaging techniques are the optimal organizations where professional and economic priorities both can be considered for the benefit of cancer patients...
- HLA alleles, IFN-gamma responses to HPV-11 E6, and disease severity in patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Vincent R Bonagura
Division of Allergy and Immunology, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
Hum Immunol 65:773-82. 2004
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis in a survivor of extreme prematurity
S L Lee
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Pediatr Pulmonol 38:352-4. 2004
..5 years. RRP should be considered in the differential diagnosis of airway problems in survivors of extreme prematurity; the prognosis is not uniformly poor in premature infants...
- Immunocompetency in children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: prospective study
Dept of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqwa 49202, Israel
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 116:169-71. 2007
..We sought to investigate the immunologic status of children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis and to evaluate possible correlations between the patients' immunocompetency and the clinical course of the disease...
- Interferon alpha-2b as adjuvant treatment of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis in Cuba: National Programme (1994-1999 report)
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, La Habana, Cuba
J Laryngol Otol 118:681-7. 2004
..Treatment with IFN alpha-2b, as an adjuvant to surgery represents a favourable and safe therapeutic alternative for patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis...
- Indole-3-carbinol for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: long-term results
Clark A Rosen
University of Pittsburgh Voice Center, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Voice 18:248-53. 2004
..No immediate or long-term side effects related to I3C were found. I3C has been found to be a successful treatment option for RRP. I3C's efficacy in pediatric patients merits further study...
- Human papillomavirus DNA presence of the upper respiratory tract mucosa of healthy children
ENT Department of Pediatric, Institute of the Karol Marcinkowski, University of Medical Sciences of Poznan
Otolaryngol Pol 58:211-5. 2004
..The presence of HPV in respiratory tract in children is relatively high. "High risk" HPV are not observed in the respiratory tract in children. The Human Papillomavirus in children may be transmitted by direct contacts...
- Voice quality of prepubescent children with quiescent recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Jonathan P Lindman
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35243, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:529-36. 2004
..The purpose of this study was to assess the long-term impact of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP) and its treatment on voice quality in prepubescent children...
- Extending the p16-Leiden tumour spectrum by respiratory tract tumours
R A Oldenburg
Center of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Med Genet 41:e31. 2004
- The epidemiology of human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer
F Xavier Bosch
Institut Catala d Oncologia, Epidemiology and Cancer Registration Unit, E 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Dis Markers 23:213-27. 2007
..Women exposed to the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) are at high risk for HPV infection, HPV DNA persistency and progression of HPV lesions to cervical cancer...
- Current diagnostic and management trends for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Damon A Silverman
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 12:532-7. 2004
..This includes a discussion of new information regarding the epidemiology and pathogenesis of RRP and an update on adjuvant therapy and new surgical techniques...
- Cancer survival in Sweden 1960-1998--developments across four decades
Centre for Epidemiology, The National Board of Health and Welfare, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 42:637-59. 2003
..Survival for breast and cervical cancer also improved during the 1990s, but not that for pancreatic, liver or lung cancer...
- Epidemiology of alcohol-associated cancers
Linda Morris Brown
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Room 8026, MSC 7244, Bethesda, MD 20892 7244, USA
Alcohol 35:161-8. 2005
..S. minority populations, to enhance experimental work to better understand the underlying mechanisms through which alcohol promotes carcinogenesis, and to develop preventive strategies...
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis with pulmonary involvement
Marcos Hiroyuki Ikawa
, Escola Paulista de Medicina, , , SP
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 41:89-90. 2008
- The use of mitomycin-C for respiratory papillomas: clinical, histologic and biochemical correlation
Ashraf H Hamza
Otolaryngology HNS Department, Alexandria Faculty of Medicine, Al Ibrahemia, Alexandria, Egypt
Saudi Med J 26:1737-45. 2005
..To assess the clinical effects of mitomycin-C (MMC) on human papilloma virus (HPV)-infected tissues of the airway...
- Topoisomerase alpha II, retinoblastoma gene product, and p53: potential relationships with aggressive behavior and malignant transformation in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Department of Pathology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City 84132, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 9:86-91. 2001
..Increased topoisomerase alpha II and p53 expression along with reduced RB gene protein product and p21 expression may serve as markers of transformation to invasive papillomatosis and squamous carcinoma...
- Transbronchial needle injection: a systematic review of a new diagnostic and therapeutic paradigm
Christopher W Seymour
Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104-4283, USA
Respiration 73:78-89. 2006
..Diagnostic applications have included the localization of peripheral lung nodules as well as sentinel lymph nodes. CONCLUSIONS: Our review defines this bronchoscopic technique and summarizes its various reported applications...
- Four mutations in Epidermodysplasia verruciformis 1 (EVER1) gene are not contributors to susceptibility in RRP
Allegheny General Hospital, Allegheny Singer Research Institute, 320 East North Avenue, 11th Floor, South Tower, Room 1171, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 4772, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1235-40. 2006
- Advocating for the quadravalent HPV vaccination, Gardasil, by Merck
Barbara Elaine Rothengass
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:671-2; authore reply 673. 2007
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
R A Tasca
Leighton Hospital, Crewe, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:689-91. 2006
..Affected children usually require multiple interventions; the impact on patients, their families, and the healthcare system is considerable. Treatment of RRP accounts for an estimated dollar 109 million annual expenditure in the USA...
- Prevention of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: role of HPV vaccination
Gary L Freed
Department of Otolaryngology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 825 Fairfax Avenue, Suite 510, Norfolk, VA 23507, United States
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1799-803. 2006
..With the possibility this could drastically reduce the incidence of RRP, the otolaryngology community should advocate for implementation of a vaccine program that provides effective prevention of HPV infection with subtypes 6 and 11...
- A retrospective analysis of the use of brachytherapy in relation to early stage squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx and its relationship to second primary respiratory and upper digestive tract cancers
Department of Radiology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Hospital, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Radiol 80:121-5. 2007
..We concluded that our treatment policy of brachytherapy with or without external irradiation for patients with early stage SCO was effective and acceptable from the standpoint of tumour control and post-treatment QOL...
- Children and partners of patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis have no evidence of the disease during long-term observation
Department of Pediatric Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:2061-6. 2006
..The aim of our study was to investigate whether children and partners of patients with RRP develop the same disease and to determine whether there is an impact of pregnancy on the course of RRP...
- Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers: results of a population-based case-control study
IARC, Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1829-34. 2006
- [Smoking and alcohol: a deadly combination]
Institutul de Pneumologie M Nasta Bucureşti
Pneumologia 55:80-4. 2006
- Morphometric characteristics of cell proliferation and p53 expression in development of experimentally induced respiratory tumors
Department of Pathology, University of Oulu, Finland
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 23:273-86. 2001
..CONCLUSION: Computer-assisted analysis of immunohistochemical staining showed high sensitivity and reproducibility; however, the results depended upon the method of study...
- The potential health and economic benefits of preventing recurrent respiratory papillomatosis through quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccination
Harrell W Chesson
Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 26:4513-8. 2008
..More precise estimates of the incidence of RRP are needed, however, to quantify this impact more reliably...
- Epidermal growth factor-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression is mediated through phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase, not mitogen-activated protein/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase, in recurrent respiratory papillomas
Institute for Medical Research, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Manhasset, New York, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:6155-61. 2005
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Department of Otolaryngology, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 27:237-43. 2002
..Unfortunately, despite extensive investigational studies, no cure is available for the disease. This article reviews the aetiology of and therapeutic options for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis...
- Novel treatments for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Mantlergasse 23 2 12, A 1130 Vienna, Austria
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 11:1139-48. 2002
..This review focuses on the current status of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis and on future directions of prevention and therapy...
- Cannabis use and cancer
Addiction 97:243-7. 2002
- Powered instrumentation in the treatment of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: an alternative to the carbon dioxide laser
Mohamed A el-Bitar
Children's National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Ave NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:425-8. 2002
..Soft tissue complications were nonexistent. In addition to safety, the microdebrider is more appealing to the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and parents, especially because these children often need subsequent surgical procedures...
- Bronchoscopic management of benign stenosis
S M Shapshay
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Chest Surg Clin N Am 11:749-68. 2001
..As usual, patient selection is one of the key factors related to successful management...
- Collagen matrix in development and progression of experimentally induced respiratory neoplasms in the hamster
Department of Pathology, University of Oulu, Finland
Toxicol Pathol 29:514-27. 2001
..The nature of the composition of the ECM was related to neoplastic growth and progression when analyzed by computer-associated image analysis, revealing alterations in collagen structure, size, and shape...
- Protein expression of the tumor suppressors p16INK4A and p53 and disease progression in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Truc T Pham
Department of Pathology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Laryngoscope 117:253-7. 2007
..Although this disease is associated with human papillomavirus, the role of this virus in tumorigenesis is unclear...
- Cidofovir efficacy in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
J Scott McMurray
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 117:477-83. 2008
..Although results of case series suggest that cidofovir may decrease the frequency and rapidity of papilloma regrowth, no blinded placebo-controlled studies have demonstrated efficacy...
- Tumour biology and histopathology of neuroendocrine tumours
Department of Pathology, University of Kiel, Michaelisstr 11, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:15-31. 2007
..Their clinical behaviour--ranging from benign and low-grade to high-grade malignancy--can be predicted on the basis of clinicopathological criteria. Currently extensive work is being performed to unravel the genetic background...
- Surgical management of well-differentiated thyroid cancer locally invasive to the respiratory tract
Anthony W Kim
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:619-27. 2005
- Unique challenges of obtaining regulatory approval for a multicenter protocol to study the genetics of RRP and suggested remedies
Mylaina L Sherwood
Center for Genomic Sciences at Allegheny Singer Research Institute, Allegheny General Hospital, 320 East North Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15212-4772, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:189-96. 2006
..For multicenter studies, investigators should seriously consider the establishment of cooperative authorization agreements. On a simpler level, a standardized format for applications needs to be adopted nationwide. EBM rating: B-3b...
- [Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)]
Department of Biochemistry, Fukuoka University School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 63:632-4. 2005
- HspE7 treatment of pediatric recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: final results of an open-label trial
Craig S Derkay
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 114:730-7. 2005
..CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with HspE7 appears to significantly improve the clinical course in pediatric patients with RRP insofar as it reduces the frequency of required surgeries. These results warrant a confirmatory phase III trial...
- Creating a medical home for the child with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Deborah S Rosenberg
National Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis Task Force, USA
ORL Head Neck Nurs 26:8-15. 2008
..Comprehensive primary care is described for children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, including well child care, episodic illness management, and care coordination...
- Genital HPVs in the aerodigestive tract: etiologic association with a subset of oropharyngeal/tonsillar cancers and with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Keerti V Shah
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dis Markers 23:235-45. 2007
- Thoracoscopy in infants and children
S S Rothenberg
Department of Surgery, The Hospital for Infants and Children at Presbyterian St Lukes, Denver, CO 80218, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 7:194-201. 1998
..With continued improvement and miniaturization of the equipment, the procedures we can perform and the advantages to the patient should continue to grow...
- The economic burden of noncervical human papillomavirus disease in the United States
Program in Health Decision Science, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:500.e1-7. 2008
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: update 2008
Thomas Q Gallagher
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 16:536-42. 2008
..Over the past several years some exciting new therapeutic options as well as some relevant research into the disease process has emerged that may offer new insight and methods in managing this frustrating disease...
- Impact of prophylactic human papillomavirus vaccines on dermatology and venereology
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
G Ital Dermatol Venereol 143:259-65. 2008
..HPV disease can be widespread, chronic and often may rapidly progress to malignant tumors. Thus, these individuals would greatly benefit from prophylactic HPV immunization...
- Respiratory cancer and inhaled inorganic arsenic in copper smelters workers: a linear relationship with cumulative exposure that increases with concentration
Jay H Lubin
Biostatistics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1661-5. 2008
- Reconstruction of historical exposures in the US nickel alloy industry and the implications for carcinogenic hazard and risk assessments
Donna J Sivulka
DJS Consulting, 3942 Rives Chapel Rd, Siler City, NC 27344, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 53:174-85. 2009
..This suggests that extrapolating risks from certain primary nickel producers to other nickel industry sectors may not be appropriate...
- Dysplasia in adults with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: incidence and risk factors
Joel H Blumin
Division of Laryngology and Professional Voice, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118:481-5. 2009
..The incidence of dysplasia in adult patients with RRP has not been well described. In this study, the risk factors and incidence of RRP-associated dysplasia are investigated...
- Degrees of dysplasia and the use of cidofovir in patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Hina T Gupta
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Laryngoscope 120:698-702. 2010
..This study aims to explore the association between increasing degree of papilloma dysplasia and the use of cidofovir in the context of the natural progression of dysplasia in RRP...
- Malignant respiratory-digestive fistulas
Alicia N Rodriguez
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Clinica Colon Mar del Plata, Mar del Plata, Argentina
Curr Opin Pulm Med 16:329-33. 2010
..Patients present mainly with intractable cough and repeated respiratory infections. Rapid deterioration and death results if this condition is left untreated...
- Bayesian hierarchical modeling of latent period switching in small-area putative health hazard studies
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
Stat Methods Med Res 20:5-28. 2011
..The developed methodology is applied in a simulation study as well as to a real data example...
- Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: an immunohistochemical analysis demonstrating latent Epstein-Barr virus in a subset of eight cases
Department of Pathology, Tepecik Research and Training Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 53:750-6. 2010
..Sarcomatoid or spindle cell carcinomas are rare malignancies which are considered as a poorly differentiated variant of squamous cell carcinoma. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is associated with a wide variety of malignancies...
- Re: particulate matter, science and European Union policy
Eur Respir J 30:805-6. 2007
- Cancers of the head and neck
Cancer Prevention Programs, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Prog Exp Tumor Res 40:62-84. 2008
- The epidemiology and treatment of mesothelioma in South East England 1985-2002
King s College London, Thames Cancer Registry, London, UK
Thorax 63:160-6. 2008
..To describe treatment patterns by cancer network of residence, and relative survival by cancer network, disease stage and treatment modality...
- Do human papillomavirus vaccines have any role in newborns and the prevention of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis in children?
National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, The Children s Hospital at Westmead and the University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:579-80. 2007
- Cytokine pattern in Kaposi's sarcoma associated with immune restoration disease in HIV and tuberculosis co-infected patients
Department of Infectious Diseases, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France
AIDS 21:1980-3. 2007
..Analysis of VEGF and pro-inflammatory cytokines led us to hypothesize that Kaposi's sarcoma could be promoted by the tuberculosis immune response...
- [The burden of neoplasm in Brazil: mortality and hospital morbidity from 2002 to 2004]
Antonio Fernando Boing
Departamento de Saude Publica, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
Rev Assoc Med Bras 53:317-22. 2007
..To describe mortality and the hospital morbidity by neoplasias in Brazil and regions according to gender...
- Cidofovir: to use or not to use?
Marlene A Soma
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Great Ormond St Hospital for Children, London, UK
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 16:86-90. 2008
..This review examines recent publications for evidence of safety and efficacy...
- Unusual thoracic CT manifestations of osteosarcoma: review of 16 cases
Department of Radiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India 110029
Pediatr Radiol 38:551-8. 2008
..Our findings of lymphangitic carcinomatosis in a living patient as well as calcified mediastinal lymphadenopathy leading to esophageal fistula are unique in the literature, and there are only a few case reports of our other findings...
- The effect of stress-reducing, low-dose ethanol infusion on frequency of bleeding complications in long-term alcoholic patients undergoing major surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Am Surg 73:192-8. 2007
..In contrast, ethanol infusion in patients with tumor resections in the gastrointestinal tract could increase the risk for bleeding complications...
- Cancer mortality in rubber tire workers in Poland
Department of Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology, Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Lodz, Poland
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 14:115-25. 2001
..Nevertheless, the fact that these observations are in agreement with the findings of other authors who carried out studies in the rubber industry of other countries justifies the need to follow-up this cohort in the future...
- Clinical spectrum and risk of PHACE syndrome in cutaneous and airway hemangiomas
Anita N Haggstrom
Department of Dermatology, Indiana University, 550 N University Blvd, UH 3240, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:680-7. 2011
..To describe the clinical presentation and risk of PHACE syndrome in infants with large facial hemangiomas and concomitant airway hemangiomas...
- Incense use and respiratory tract carcinomas: a prospective cohort study
Jeppe T Friborg
The Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Cancer 113:1676-84. 2008
..Therefore, the relation between incense use and the risk of respiratory tract carcinomas was analyzed in a prospective cohort study...
- [Anesthetic management in laryngotracheal surgery. High-frequency jet ventilation as strategy for ventilation during general anesthesia]
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Medizinische Fakultät TU Dresden
Anaesthesist 59:1051-61; quiz 1062-3. 2010
..A particular challenge for the anesthesiologist is the use of HFJV during laryngeal laser surgery...
- The single-breath nitrogen test, mortality, and cancer
Medical Department P, Bispebjerg Hospital, Denmark
Am Rev Respir Dis 142:1022-5. 1990
..03 (1.45 to 2.85), but not to cancer. We conclude that indices of the single-breath nitrogen test have no predictive value concerning overall mortality and cancer incidence...
- The most expensive medical conditions in America
Benjamin G Druss
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:105-11. 2002
..We use the findings to discuss the role for cost-of-illness and burden-of-disease estimates in setting priorities...
- Imaging of MALT lymphomas
Service de Radiologie, , AP-HP, 1 Av. Claude-Vellefaux, 75475 Paris, France
Eur Radiol 12:348-56. 2002
..The lymphoma is generally of low grade and has indolent course. The aim of this article is to exemplify the most common radiological patterns of MALT lymphoma...
- A historical cohort mortality study among shipyard workers in Genoa, Italy
Environmental Epidemiology and Biostatistics, National Cancer Institute, Largo Rosanna Benzi 19, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Am J Ind Med 40:363-70. 2001
..These workers were exposed to asbestos fibers, welding fumes and gases, silica dust, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and solvents...
- Historical cohort study of US man-made vitreous fiber production workers: VI. Respiratory system cancer standardized mortality ratios adjusted for the confounding effect of cigarette smoking
G M Marsh
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Occup Environ Med 43:803-8. 2001
..They also suggest that the use of local county mortality rate-based SMRs may not help to adjust for cigarette smoking to the degree suggested by some investigators...
- Gender and time differences in initial location and histological grade of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in Southern Sweden
Department of Oncology, Southern Swedish Regional Tumour Registry, University Hospital, Lund
Acta Oncol 40:479-84. 2001
..Epidemiologic studies where both malignancy grade and initial lymphoma locations are taken into account may be helpful in defining risk factors...
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
C S Derkay
Department of Otolaryngology and Pediatrics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk 23507, USA
Laryngoscope 111:57-69. 2001
..Adjuvant modalities of surgical and nonsurgical treatment and their indications are discussed. Ongoing research initiatives and the Practice Guidelines of the Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis Task Force are also included...
- Natural organic fibers--health effects
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Sweden
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 73:S69-74. 2000
..They are also constituents of food and added to food to promote health. The objective of this review is to evaluate the health effects of natural organic fibers. The health effects of dietary fibers are excluded from the review...
- Proliferative lesions in swimbladder of Japanese medaka Oryzias latipes and guppy Poecilia reticulata
J W Fournie
U S Environmental Protection Agency, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Gulf Ecology Division, Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 38:135-42. 1999
..Their rare occurrence, however, makes swimbladder proliferative lesions in small-fish carcinogenesis models sensitive indicators of compounds that might target cells of the gas gland...
- Mortality patterns among workers exposed to acrylamide: 1994 follow up
G M Marsh
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Occup Environ Med 56:181-90. 1999
..To update the mortality experience of a cohort of 8508 workers with potential exposure to acrylamide at three plants in the United States from 1984-94...
- Cancer in California school employees, 1988-1992
Environmental Health Investigations Branch, California Department of Health Services, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Am J Ind Med 36:271-8. 1999
..Periodic concerns about excesses of cancer among teachers in California schools prompted our examination of cancer incidence in California school employees...
- Benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide and bleomycin sensitivity and susceptibility to cancer of upper aerodigestive tract
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, and The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 90:1393-9. 1998
- Whole grain food intake and cancer risk
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
Int J Cancer 77:24-8. 1998
..The ORs for the highest category of consumption were 0.2-0.3 for upper digestive and respiratory tract neoplasms, 0.5 for stomach, colon and gallbladder, 0.7 for rectum, 0.6 for liver, 0...
- Fruit and vegetable consumption and cancer mortality in the Caerphilly Study
M G Hertog
Department of Chronic Diseases and Environmental Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 5:673-7. 1996
..5; 95% CI, 0.3-1.0). Consumption of vegetables and particularly the consumption of fruit could considerably lower the risk of dying from cancer in middle-aged men...
- Cancers of the upper alimentary and respiratory tracts in Bombay, India: a study of incidence over two decades
Cancer Research Institute, Tata Memorial Centre, Parel, Bombay, India
Br J Cancer 56:847-52. 1987
..Consequently, it is desirable to direct primary cancer prevention programmes especially to cigarette smokers in urban centres and to both bidi and cigarette smokers in the rest of the country...
- Immunohistochemical p53 expression patterns in sarcomatoid carcinomas of the upper respiratory tract
M Ali Ansari-Lari
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1024-31. 2002
..Instead, the epithelial and spindled components share a common pathway of tumorigenesis despite their conspicuous divergence at the phenotypic level...
- [The role of endoscopic surgery in respiratory tract neoplasia]
Dipartimento di Chirurgia P Valdoni, Policlinico Umberto I, , Roma
Tumori 89:24-8. 2003
..A fairly good number of patients may also return to radio and/or chemotherapy (if previously interrupted) and sometimes to radical surgery. In terms of costs-effectiveness, the endoscopic treatment is widely competitive...
- [The role of human papillomaviruses (HPV) in upper respiratory tract diseases]
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 58:305-10. 2004
..The occurrence rates for HPV DNA in the head and neck cancers varied from one study to another because of technical and demographic variables. The HPV infection in benign head and neck diseases were also presented...