Summary: A collection of fluid and gas within the pleural cavity. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications111 found, 100 shown here
- Hydropneumothorax on FDG PET imagingGlenn P Ollenberger
Centre for Positron Emission Tomography, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Clin Nucl Med 29:277-8. 2004
- Recurrent hydropneumothorax as a presenting feature of malignant mesotheliomaKaushik Guha
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Knight Centre for Cystic Fibrosis, Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Camberley, Surrey GU16 7UJ, UK
Eur J Intern Med 19:63-4. 2008..A video-assisted thoracoscopic procedure was performed and revealed an abnormally thickened pleura that turned out to be a mesothelioma. All persistent pneumothoraces should be investigated...
- [Sonographic diagnosis of post-interventional pneumothorax and hydropneumothorax--prospective study of 100 patients]A Reissig
Pneumologie and Allergologie Immunologie, Klinik Innere Medizin I der Friedrich Schiller Universität Jena
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:617-24. 2006..if transthoracic sonography may replace chest radiographs in diagnosing post-interventional pneumothorax/hydropneumothorax, this prospective study was conducted...
- Hydropneumomediastinum and bilateral hydropneumothorax as delayed complications of central venous catheterizationM E Flatley
Medical Service, Clement J Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center, Milwaukee
Chest 103:1914-6. 1993A case of hydropneumomediastinum and bilateral hydropneumothorax from a central venous catheter is described. The complication is related to the position of the catheter after placement through the left internal jugular vein...
- Pyopneumothorax after blunt traumaTe I Weng
Am J Emerg Med 22:436-7. 2004
- Traumatic diaphragmatic hernia masquerading as left-sided hydropneumothorax: a case reportO I Oyinloye
Department of Radiology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria
Ann Trop Paediatr 30:57-60. 2010..On further assessment, a diaphragmatic hernia was suspected. The initial radiograph showed left hydropneumothorax. Fluoroscopy, follow-up chest radiographs and barium swallow confirmed the diagnosis of left TDR...
- Idiopathic bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia presenting with spontaneous hydropneumothorax and solitary pulmonary noduleD G Yang
Department of Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Respirology 4:267-70. 1999..obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP) presenting as solitary pulmonary nodule with spontaneous hydropneumothorax is reported in a 54-year-old man...
- Boerhaave's syndrome presenting with abdominal pain and right hydropneumothoraxL Jagminas
Rhode Island Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine, Providence 02903, USA
Am J Emerg Med 14:53-6. 1996..Because survival is directly related to the time to diagnosis and treatment, a high clinical suspicion can decrease the substantial morbidity and mortality associated with Boerhaave's Syndrome...
- [Candida albicans induced empyema: mode of revelation of a spontaneous oesophageal disrupture]P Koulmann
Fédération d anesthésie réanimation, HIA Begin, 94160, Saint Mande, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:470-3. 2003..The oesophagus rupture was diagnosed by thoracoscopy made because of extensive hydropneumothorax on the thoracic CT 3 days after ablation of the thoracic drain...
- Sensitivity of chest fluoroscopy compared with chest CT and chest radiography for diagnosing hydropneumothorax in association with percutaneous nephrostolithotomyKenneth Ogan
Department of Urology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Urology 62:988-92. 2003b>Hydropneumothorax (HPTX) is recognized as a potential complication of percutaneous nephrostolithotomy (PCNL), particularly with supracostal access. Postoperative chest radiography (CXR) is routinely used to evaluate the chest after PCNL...
- A case of Lemierre's syndrome presenting with multiple pulmonary abscesses associated with a tension hydropneumothorax resulting in a mediastinal shiftS Venkateswaran
Department of Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 34:450-3. 2005..We report a case of Lemierre's syndrome...
- [Empyemectomy-treatment of pleural empyema]Algis Kybartas
Clinic of General Thoracic Surgery, Vilnius University, Zygimantu 3, Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 38:85-7. 2002..Three patients died (6%). In 4 cases we had complications-hydropneumothorax. They received punction (3 patients) and 1 received tube toracostomy...
- A potentially fatal complication of postoperative vomiting: Boerhaave's syndromeS Reddy
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:257-9. 2008
- A case of Wegener's granulomatosis complicated with hydropneumothoraxAskin Ates
J Clin Rheumatol 12:264-5. 2006
- Isolated thoracic duct injury in penetrating neck trauma: a case reportSevval Eren
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Medicine Faculty of Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:244-7. 2007A 39-year-old man was admitted with a stab wound to left lower neck. Chest X-ray revealed a left hydropneumothorax. Thoracentesis was performed and analysis of the fluid revealed chyle...
- [Paragonimus westermani infection confirmed by the detection of Paragonimus ova in the sputum with bilateral pleural effusion]Tsutomu Tanijiri
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 47:1131-4. 2009..Consequently, he underwent a medical examination. A right pleural effusion, left hydropneumothorax, and multiple pulmonary nodular shadows were found on chest radiography...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of cervical anastomotic fistula contaminating mediastinum or pleural cavity after esophagogastrostomy: a report of five cases with literature review]Gang Chen
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Guangdong Provincial People s Hospital, Guangzhou, Guangdong, P R China
Ai Zheng 24:1280-3. 2005..It is very dangerous if the treatment is incorrect. This study was to analyze the causes, preventive measures, diagnosis methods and standard, and appropriate treatments of this kind of fistula...
- Robot-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy for early-stage lung cancerFarid Gharagozloo
Washington Institute of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1880-5; discussion 1885-6. 2008..We studied the use of the da Vinci surgical robot for mediastinal, hilar, and vascular dissection during video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy in patients with early-stage lung cancer...
- [Anterolateral approach for treatment of thoracolumbar disc protrusion]Xuyu Liao
The Third Department of Orthopaedics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Hefei Anhui, 230032, P R China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 23:1418-21. 2009..To evaluate the effect of anterolateral approach in treating thoracolumbar disc protrusion...
- [Diagnosis of pleurisy in an emergency setting]Jean Francois Muir
Service de pneumologie et unité de soins intensifs respiratoires, CHU de Rouen, Hopital de Bois Guillaume, 76031 Rouen Cedex
Rev Prat 57:479-88. 2007..If hydropneumothorax is present, immediate drainage with a chest tube will be performed...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy for severe bronchiectasis in childrenSteven S Rothenberg
Department of Pediatric Surgery, The Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, 1601 East 19th Avenue, Denver, CO 80218, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:555-7. 2009..This series represents our experience and results with thoracoscopic lobectomy for the treatment of severe bronchiectasis confined to a single lobe...
- [Spiral CT findings of pulmonary infection induced by intravenous injection of heroin]Zhong Chen
Department of Radiology, Xinhui People s Hospital of Guangdong Province, Jiangmen 529100, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 25:742-4. 2005..To investigate spiral CT findings of pulmonary infection induced by intravenous injection of heroin...
- Clinical implications of unexpandable lung due to pleural diseasePeter Doelken
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:21-5. 2008Unexpandable lung due to pleural disease may manifest itself as a hydropneumothorax after pleural drainage procedure or as an inability to completely drain a pleural effusion due to chest pain...
- Esophago-pleural fistula with pulmonary tuberculosisGaneshwar Behera
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, V S S Medical College, Burla, Sambalpur, Orissa, India
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 17:238-9. 2007A patient with clinical diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis and right sided hydropneumothorax found to have fistulous connection of pleura with oesophagus as evidenced by upper GI endoscopy and intrapleural instillation of radio-opaque ..
- [Spontaneous esophageal rupture in three patients]A Grigorovici
Clinica a III a Chirurgicală, Spitalul Clinic de Urgenţe Sf Spiridon, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Chirurgia (Bucur) 100:57-62. 2005..esomedistinal or esopleural fistula, pneumomediastinum, cervical subcutaneous emphysema, pleural effusion or hydropneumothorax. The early diagnosis and surgical treatment in the first 24 hours after the perforation offer the best ..
- Pulmonary artery pseudoaneurysm secondary to metastatic angiosarcomaP P Agarwal
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thorax 61:366. 2006
- [Tension pneumothorax from a perforated gastric ulcer]F Crozier
Service de Radiologie, Centre Hospitalier Henri Duffaut, Avignon
J Radiol 85:776-8. 2004Fistulous communications between the abdomen and pleural space are rare. The Authors report a case of hydropneumothorax following transdiaphragmatic perforation of an anterior wall gastric ulcer.
- Fecopneumothorax and colopleural fistula - uncommon complications of Crohn's diseaseG Barisiae
Institute for Digestive Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
BMC Gastroenterol 6:17. 2006..Fistula formation is frequent in Crohn's disease and occurs in approximately 33% of patients. On the other hand, fistulous communication between the pleural cavity and adjacent organs below the diaphragm is extremely rare...
- Large asymptomatic hydropneumothorax after thoracentesisJeanne M LaBerge
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, M 361, Box 0628, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:1047-9. 2004..Cases are drawn from the interventional radiology experience at the University of California San Francisco and are edited by Jeanne M. LaBerge, MD, and Robert K. Kerlan, Jr, MD...
- Nocardial hydropneumothoraxK Gowrinath
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, PorurChennai, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 46:51-3. 2004Pleural involvement in nocardiosis is rarely reported from India. A case of hydropneumothorax due to Nocardia asteroides in a patient with diabetes mellitus is reported...
- Reexpansion pulmonary oedema as a complication of pleural drainageV O Adegboye
Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, and University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Niger Postgrad Med J 9:214-20. 2002..RPO is commonest among young patients who have had lung collapse for 7 or more days. In these circumstances RPO is prevented, its incidence and severity reduced by methods of gradual evacuation of PThx or pleural fluid drainage...
- Bilateral hydropneumothoraces in a patient with pulmonary rheumatoid nodules during treatment with methotrexateN Steeghs
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1661-2. 2005
- A late post-traumatic diaphragmatic hernia revealed during pregnancy by post-partum respiratory distressSaad Rifki Jai
Department of Surgery III, Ibn Rochd University Hospital, Casablanca, Morocco
Arch Gynecol Obstet 276:295-8. 2007....
- Pancreatic pseudocyst: the controversial value of total parenteral nutritionM D Shahrudin
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya
Hepatogastroenterology 44:559-63. 1997..Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for the non-operative treatment of acute pancreatic pseudocyst has been of hypothetical benefit...
- 'Nutrothorax' due to misplacement of a nasogastric feeding tubeL E M Haas
Neth J Med 64:385-6. 2006..we report a serious complication of blind nasogastric feeding tube insertion in a 65-year-old female patient, which was overlooked and caused severe respiratory failure...
- Giant parenchymal bronchogenic cyst mimicking hydropneumothoraxAhmet Basoglu
Ondokuz Mayis University, Medical School, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Samsun, Turkey
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1201-2. 2003
- [Postpartum pneumomediastinum associated with subcutaneous emphysema: a case report]N Houari
Service de réanimation mère enfant, CHU Hassan II, Route Sidi Harazem, 30000 Fès, Maroc
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 31:728-30. 2012..A diagnosis of subcutaneous emphysema was made and this was confirmed with the chest X-ray. Pneumomediastinum and hydropneumothorax were also detected. Uneventful recovery over three days followed conservative management.
- Ultrasonographic approach to diagnosing hydropneumothoraxR Targhetta
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Montpellier Nimes University Hospital, Nimes, France
Chest 101:931-4. 1992..We conclude that echography appears to be a new approach to diagnosing HPN, which is particularly useful during or after ultrasonically guided procedures including pleural drainage, and should be recognized by sonographers...
- Hydropneumothorax secondary to hydatid lung diseaseR L Agrawal
Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, M L N Medical College, Allahabad
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 35:93-6. 1993A case of pulmonary hydatid disease which ruptured to produce a hydropneumothorax is reported. Radiologically the patient presented with an oval opacity which enlarged with an appearance of air crescent...
- Is routine postoperative chest radiography needed after percutaneous nephrolithotomy?Marc A Bjurlin
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Cook County Hospital, Cook County Health and Hospitals System, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Urology 79:791-5. 2012..CXR) is required after percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for the detection and possible management of hydropneumothorax. It is the standard for many urologists to obtain routine postoperative CXRs after PCNL to assess for ..
- [A late post-traumatic diaphragmatic hernia revealed by a tension fecopneumothorax (a case report)]M Kafih
Service des urgences viscérales chirurgicales, CHU Ibn Rochd, Casablanca, Morocco
Rev Pneumol Clin 65:23-6. 2009..The left diaphragmatic cupola is the most touched. Tension fecopneumothorax following diaphragmatic hernia perforation in the pleural cavity is a rare but particularly severe complication of traumatic diaphragmatic hernia...
- Lepidic intrapulmonary growth of malignant mesothelioma presenting as recurrent hydropneumothoraxH Wu
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Hum Pathol 27:989-92. 1996..The patient presented with recurrent hydropneumothorax and minimal pleural thickening on chest computed tomography (CT)...
- Boerhaave's syndrome: Thoracolaparoscopic approachShulmit Vaidya
Department of Gastrointestinal and Minimally Access Surgery, Joy Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Minim Access Surg 6:76-9. 2010We present a case of Boerhaave's syndrome managed thoracolaparoscopically. A 45-year- old man presented with hydropneumothorax following severe retching...
- Pleuropulmonary blastoma in a child presenting with spontaneous pneumothoraxJamaree Teeratakulpisarn
Departments of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 86:385-91. 2003..CT) of the chest showed a cavity with intramural mass confined in the right lower lung accompanied with hydropneumothorax. The surgery revealed a cystic and solid mass occupying the right pleural space medially displacing the ..
- Spontaneous esophageal-pleural fistulaSameer Vyas
Department of Radiodiagnosis and Imaging, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Lung India 28:300-2. 2011..Chest computed tomography showed right EPF and hydropneumothorax. She was managed conservatively keeping the chest tube drainage and performing feeding jejunostomy...
- Disseminated pneumococcal infection with pericarditis and cardiac tamponade: report of one caseNing Hui Foo
Department of Pediatrics, Chi Mei Foundation Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 46:301-4. 2005..Further X ray study showed right hydropneumothorax and cardiomegaly...
- Thoracoscopy in diagnosis of ruptured pulmonary hydatid cystMohsen Sokouti
Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tabriz, 12345, Islamic Republic of Iran
BMJ Case Rep 2008:bcr0620080133. 2008..He had previously presented with a massive right hydropneumothorax on his chest x ray 6 months ago, which was followed by 2 weeks of intercostal tube drainage resulting in a ..
- [Non-tuberculous pleural infections versus tuberculous pleural infections]K Horo
UFR des sciences médicales de l université de Cocody, Service de Pneumologie, CHU de Cocody, BP 582, Abidjan cedex 03, Cote d Ivoire
Rev Mal Respir 29:404-11. 2012..In countries where tuberculosis is endemic, the main differential diagnosis for pleural infection by common bacteria is pleural tuberculosis...
- [Acute postoperative respiratory insufficiency of uncommon cause]A Strecker
Service de Pneumologie, CH Douai
Rev Pneumol Clin 50:329-31. 1994..The unusual nature of the signs delayed diagnosis...
- Spontaneous pneumothorax and lung carcinoma: should one consider synchronous malignant pleural mesothelioma?Trevor A Flood
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Thorac Oncol 4:770-2. 2009..pathologic findings of a 68-year-old smoker with previous asbestos exposure who presented with spontaneous hydropneumothorax and was diagnosed with synchronous undifferentiated lung carcinoma and incidental malignant pleural ..
- A case report of a spontaneous oesophageal pleural fistulaSanjeev Kumar
Assistant Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Dr Rajinder, Prasad Government Medical College, Kangra, Tanda, 1760011, India
J Clin Diagn Res 7:522-4. 2013..retrosternal chest pain, constipation, and shortness of breath, with features which were suggestive of a hydropneumothorax and shock...
- Tuberculous oesophagopleural fistulaK B Gupta
Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak 124001
J Indian Med Assoc 109:504-5. 2011b>Hydropneumothorax complicating to oesophagopleural and broncho-oesophageal fistula is an unusual presentation and is reported in literature as separate clinical entities...
- Endobronchial Watanabe spigot embolisation in the treatment of bronchopleural fistula due to tuberculous empyema in intensive care unitLevent Dalar
Interventional Pulmonology Unit, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Teaching Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 19:140-3. 2013..The case presented was a 39-year-old male patient with diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis developed hydropneumothorax while taking steroid and immunosuppressive treatment and examination of pleural fluid revealed acid-fast ..
- Acute pneumonia and empyema caused by Mycobacterium intracellulareSang Un Park
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Intern Med 45:1007-10. 2006..A chest radiograph and CT revealed pneumonic consolidation in the left lower lobe and loculated hydropneumothorax. The sputum smear was positive for acid fast bacilli...
- Spherules, hyphae, and air-crescent signAdriano R Tonelli
Department of Internal Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:504-6. 2008..Computed tomography of the chest revealed a left lower lobe infiltrate, a cavity with air-crescent sign and hydropneumothorax. The pleural fluid was sampled and revealed an eosinophilic exudate with normal pH...
- Serial CT findings of Paragonimus infested dogs and the Micro-CT findings of the worm cystsChang Hyun Lee
Department of Radiology and the Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 8:372-81. 2007..To investigate the serial CT findings of Paragonimus westermani infected dogs and the microscopic structures of the worm cysts using Micro-CT...
- The unexpandable lungJohn T Huggins
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina 96 Jonathan Lucas St, Suite 812 CSB, Charleston, SC 29425 USA
F1000 Med Rep 2:77. 2010..lung occurring as a consequence of active or remote pleural disease may present as a post-thoracentesis hydropneumothorax or an effusion that cannot be completely drained because of the development of anterior chest pain...
- [Dry cough, chest pain and difficult breathing in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis]M Ziade
Service de Rhumatologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:1133-6. 2008..The presence of broncho-pleural fistulae may be responsible for the persistence of the phenomenon in our patient...
- Oesophageal perforation complicating intraoperative transoesophageal echocardiography: suspicion can save livesHany Elsayed
Department of Cardiothoracic, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:380-2. 2010..We advocate that in the event of postoperative hydropneumothorax, the differential diagnosis must include iatrogenic oesophageal injury from transoesophageal echo.
- An unusual cause of breathlessness in a chronic smokerAnbalagan Amudhan
South Med J 100:917-8. 2007
- [Imaging findings in catamenial pneumothorax]M J Ciudad
Servicio de Radiodiagnostico, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Radiologia 49:263-7. 2007..To show the presentation and imaging findings of catamenial pneumothorax...
- Atypical presentation of lymphangioleiomyomatosis as jugular vein thrombosisNisar A Wani
Department of Radiodiagnosis and Imaging, Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences SKIMS, Srinagar, India
Br J Radiol 83:e70-3. 2010..CT study showed bilateral lung cysts with left-sided hydropneumothorax and retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy...
- [A man with a painful chest after frequent vomiting]Hendrik W P C van de Meerendonk
Diakonessenhuis, Utrecht, afd Longziekten, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 154:A1183. 2010..A 60-year-old man presented with chest pain and weight loss, starting after a period of vomiting. Contrast radiography of the esophagus revealed an esophageal-pleural fistula. The patient was successfully treated by stent placement...
- [Radiographic diagnosis of traumatic bronchial rupture]Yong Sheng Zhou
Department of Radiology, Baoan People s Hospital, Shenzhen, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 29:1238-9. 2009..To study the X-ray and CT findings of traumatic bronchial rupture for early radiographic diagnosis and treatment...
- Tuberculosis-associated secondary pneumothorax: a retrospective study of 53 patientsMasoud Shamaei
National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Respir Care 56:298-302. 2011..Pneumothorax is a well known complication of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB), particularly in patients with advanced TB...
- Robot-assisted lobectomy for early-stage lung cancer: report of 100 consecutive casesFarid Gharagozloo
Washington Institute of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:380-4. 2009..This study describes a hybrid minimally invasive lobectomy procedure consisting of two phases: robotic vascular, hilar, and mediastinal dissection, and then VATS lobectomy...
- An unusual presentation of bronchial ruptureTugba Goktalay
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Respir Care 56:858-60. 2011Persistent hydropneumothorax was diagnosed in a 62-year-old female with a history of blunt trauma, although she was treated with chest tube and closed underwater seal drainage...
- Imaging of lung transplantation: reviewYuen Li Ng
CT Unit, Department of Clinical Radiology, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds LS1 3EX, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 192:S1-13, quiz S14-9. 2009..Familiarity with the radiologic appearances of common surgical techniques and complications of lung transplantation is important...
- [Esophageal perforation during nasogastric tube insertion in a patient with right-sided aortic arch and thoracic aorta. Pathophysiology and surgical implications]F De Dominicis
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, CHU d Amiens Sud, Avenue Rene Laennec, Salouel, 80054 Amiens Cedex 1, France
J Chir (Paris) 146:499-502. 2009..In this case report, radiologic images revealed a right-sided aortic arch with a right-sided thoracic aorta. This anatomical anomaly probably contributed to the complication and necessitated a modified approach to the surgical repair...
- Experience with a new energy source for tissue fusion in pediatric patientsTodd A Ponsky
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:S207-9. 2009..This report documents our experience with this device...
- [A case of pneumothorax secondary to septic pulmonary embolism due to central venous catheter infection caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus]Shinya Inamoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe Rosai Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 82:51-4. 2008..Six days later, chest radiography showed asymptomatic right hydropneumothorax. An intercostal tube was inserted and purulent fluid drained...
- Interlobar hydropneumothoraxBalakrishnan Menon
Department of Respiratory Allergy and Applied Immunology, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 48:207-8. 2006We report a case of interlobar hydropneumothorax in a 42-year-old male with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and a history of tuberculosis in the past...
- Perforation of a substernal interposed ileocolon caused by right thoracic herniationVa Kei Kok
Department of Surgery, Taipei County Hospital, 5 Floor, No 17, Lane 12, Qing Tian Street, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:515-7. 2007..Careful dissection of the pleura in order to create a retrosternal tunnel, and the use of a suitable length of an esophageal substitute could prevent this complication...
- Minimally invasive percutaneous nephrolithotomy for staghorn calculi: a novel single session approach via multiple 14-18Fr tractsZeng Guohua
Department of Urology, Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510230, China
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:124-8. 2007....
- Coccidioides immitis presenting as a mycelial pathogen with empyema and hydropneumothoraxM J Dolan
Department of Infectious Diseases, Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX 78236
J Med Vet Mycol 30:249-55. 1992A previously healthy Caucasian male developed hydropneumothorax and a pleural peel filled with pleomorphic, septate hyphae...
- Oops we got in the chest: fluoroscopic chest tube insertion for hydrothorax after percutaneous nephrostolithotomyKenneth Ogan
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Urology 60:1098-9. 2002....
- Ruptured hydatid cysts of the lung in children: clinical review and results of surgeryAkin Eraslan Balci
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Dicle University School of Medicine, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Ann Thorac Surg 74:889-92. 2002..Rupture of a hydatid cyst may cause some unique problems, especially in children...
- [Hydropneumothorax complicating sqamous-cell esophageal carcinoma]Sarah Montembault
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 26:638-9. 2002
- Images in cardiothoracic surgery. Pleuroperitoneal fistulaAnthony P C Yim
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1327. 2002
- Tension pneumothorax associated with hydatid cyst ruptureIbrahim Can Kurkcuoglu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ataturk University Medical Faculty, Erzurum, Turkey
J Thorac Imaging 17:78-80. 2002..Tension hydropneumothorax secondary to the rupture of a hydatid cyst was detected in 5 of 185 spontaneous pneumothorax cases that were ..
- Usefulness of the suspended microbubble sign in differentiating empyemic and nonempyemic hydropneumothoraxF C Lin
Department, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, and School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Ultrasound Med 20:1341-5. 2001..In this study, we intended to evaluate the clinical usefulness of the suspended microbubble sign in differentiating empyemic and nonempyemic hydropneumothorax.
- Boerhaave's syndrome: a pediatric caseC Ramsook
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children s Hospital, 6621 Fannin Street MC 1 1481, Houston, TX 77030 2399, U S A
J Clin Gastroenterol 33:77-8. 2001..This syndrome is most common among alcoholic adult men. This case report is that of a pediatric patient with a similar pathologic process...
- [Boerhaave syndrome. A case report and review of the literature]G Soldati
ASL 2, Ospedale di Lucca U O Pronto Soccorso Medicina e Chirurgia d Urgenza e Accettazione
Minerva Chir 55:873-9. 2000..Despite negative chest X-ray, a thoracic TC showed a small right sided effusion with left sided hydropneumothorax, and the definitive diagnosis was obtained by contrast study with a water soluble medium which showed the ..
- Respiratory bronchiolitis associated interstitial lung disease (RB-ILD) presenting with haemoptysisA M McWilliams
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Respirology 5:385-7. 2000..The patient had significant postoperative complications of prolonged air leak and hydropneumothorax requiring further surgery and prolonged hospital stay. Advice regarding smoking cessation was given...
- [Boerhaave syndrome: a rare cause of acute thoracic pain]K Anastasiadou
Radiologische Abteilung des Allgemeinen Krankenhauses G. Papanikolaou, Thessaloniki, Griechenland
Pneumologie 52:132-4. 1998..If symptoms like vomiting, severe thoracic pain, pneumomediastinum, pneumothorax or hydropneumothorax on the left side occur, a rupture of the oesophagus should be taken into account especially in case of abuse ..
- [Two cases of recurrent hydropneumothorax caused by malignant pleural mesothelioma]H Tanaka
Department of Surgery, National Kinki Chou Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Nihon Kyobu Geka Gakkai Zasshi 44:1877-81. 1996..36%. Mean age of patients was 67 year-old and recurrent hydropneumothorax was characterized in the clinical course...
- Case report: empyema with hydropneumothorax and bacteremia caused by Clostridium sporogenesC E Corbett
Infectious Diseases Immunology Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee and the Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee 38104, USA
Am J Med Sci 312:242-5. 1996..had multiple risk factors for anaerobic pleuropulmonary infection, and developed an acute empyema with hydropneumothorax that was associated with Clostridium sporogenes bacteremia...
- Transbronchial intubation of the right pleural space: a rare complication of nasogastric intubation with a polyvinylchloride tube--a case studyA El-Gamel
Children s Hospital, Ladywood, Birmingham, U K
Heart Lung 22:224-5. 1993..We report a pulmonary perforation and hydropneumothorax caused by a polyvinylchloride nasogastric tube without a stylet in a child of 13 months...
- The limited role of total parenteral nutrition in the management of pancreatic pseudocystM W Jackson
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
Am Surg 59:736-9. 1993..patients (35%) sustained catheter-related complication, which included sepsis (26%), pneumothorax (9%), hydropneumothorax (2%), and septic right atrial thrombosis (2%), in the course of hospitalization...
- Early chylopneumothorax in a patient with pulmonary lymphangioleiomyomatosisM L Chuang
Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoynan, Taiwan, R O C
J Formos Med Assoc 92:278-82. 1993..A radiograph of the chest showed a right-sided hydropneumothorax, which was proven to be a chylous effusion by lipoprotein electrophoresis and was very refractory to ..
- Atraumatic perforation of the esophagus: current concepts and report of an additional caseS Kumar
Department of Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Trop Gastroenterol 11:211-4. 1990..One such case with clinical features classic of this entity is reported. Characteristic findings of hydropneumothorax and pneumomediastinum on plain chest film, and the contrast esophagogram confirmed the diagnosis quickly...
- Surgical treatment and follow-up of pulmonary hydatid cystAdel K Ayed
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 12:112-6. 2003..To report our experience of surgical procedures in the management of hydatid cysts of the lung and to assess the effect of postoperative chemotherapy...
- Rheumatoid lung nodules with hydropneumothoraxM Rguibi
Joint Bone Spine 70:397-8. 2003
- Pleural complications of pulmonary hydatid diseaseMustafa Kursat Ozvaran
Department of Pulmonology, SSK Sureyyapasa Center for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Respirology 9:115-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence and diagnostic features of pleural manifestations of pulmonary hydatid disease...
- Conservative management of a three-day-old esophageal perforation with feeding jejunostomy and prokinetic drugDinesh Vyas
Department of Surgery, S M S Medical College, Jaipur, India
Scand J Gastroenterol 41:1242-4. 2006..The diagnosis was confirmed with a series of gastrograffin esophagograms which revealed a leak in the lower part of the esophagus, with hydropneumothorax.
- Successful treatment with one-way endobronchial valve of large air-leakage complicating narrow-bore enteral feeding tube malpositionTiziano De Giacomo
University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Surgery and Transplantation Paride Stefanini, Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:811-2. 2006..A large left-side hydropneumothorax developed requiring a chest tube...
- Oesophageal rupture arising as a complication of acute appendicitis in a childKenneth Wong
Med J Aust 184:588. 2006
- [Tuberculous pneumothorax. Retrospective study of 23 cases in Tunisia]S Mezghani
Service de Pneumologie, Hôpital Farhat Hached, 4000 Sousse, Tunisie
Rev Pneumol Clin 62:13-8. 2006..The chest roentgengraph showed pneumothorax (n=8) or hydropneumothorax (n=15), and pulmonary lesions associated in 82.5% of patients...
- [Tension pneumofluidothorax of the right pleural cavity resulting from a rupture of the oesophagus during gastrectasy]V Sut'ak
Chirurgicke oddĕlení I, Nemocnice Jihlava
Rozhl Chir 85:19-23. 2006..The symptoms developed fully shortly after lifting a heavy weight...
- A case of acute pneumonitis following talc pleurodesis: high-resolution CT findingsYookyung Kim
Department of Radiology and Internal Medicine, Ewha Womans University Mokdong Hospital, Yang Cheon Ku, Seoul 158 710, Republic of Korea
J Thorac Imaging 21:47-9. 2006..She was started on treatment with corticosteroid. Her dyspnea rapidly improved and air-space consolidation resolved over a few months on follow-up radiographs...
- Pleural aspergillosis with bronchopleurocutaneous fistula and costal bone destruction: a case reportEnrique J Soto-Hurtado
Pneumology Service, Carlos Haya Hospital, Malaga, Spain
Lung 183:417-23. 2005..admitted to this hospital for a bronchopleural fistula (empyema necessitatis) with subsequent spontaneous hydropneumothorax and costal bone involvement. The patient underwent surgery because of his rapid worsening condition...