Summary: Collection of air and blood in the pleural cavity.
Publications165 found, 100 shown here
- Traumatic pulmonary pseudocyst with hemopneumothorax in a football playerMasazumi Watanabe
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160, Japan
Clin J Sport Med 15:41-3. 2005
- Hemopneumothorax associated with Marfan syndrome and congenital afibrinogenemiaRyuzo Kanno
First Department of Surgery, Fukushima Medical University, Hikarigaoka, Fukushima, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1304-6. 2003..We report the case of a 14-year-old boy with Marfan syndrome and congenital afibrinogenemia in whom hemopneumothorax developed...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax: is conservative treatment enough?G Haciibrahimoglu
Yedikule Hospital for Chest Disease and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 53:240-2. 2005Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a rare disorder, occurring in 1% to 12% of patients with spontaneous pneumothorax...
- Simple thoracostomy in prehospital trauma management is safe and effective: a 2-year experience by helicopter emergency medical crewsDaniele Massarutti
Helicopter Emergency Medical Service Friuli Venezia Giulia, Udine Hospital, Udine, Italy
Eur J Emerg Med 13:276-80. 2006..To evaluate the effectiveness and potential complications of simple thoracostomy, as first described by Deakin, as a method for prehospital treatment of traumatic pneumothorax...
- 12-year experience of spontaneous hemopneumothoraxEung Soo Kim
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hanil General Hospital, KEPCO Medical Foundation, Seoul, Korea
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 14:149-53. 2008Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a rare clinical disorder that results from a torn small vessel located in adhesions between the visceral and parietal pleurae resulting from the progress of lung collapse...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax revisited: clinical approach and systemic review of the literatureNan Yung Hsu
Division of Chest Surgery, Department of Surgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1859-63. 2005Spontaneous hemopneumothorax, defined as the accumulation of more than 400 mL of blood in the pleural cavity in association with spontaneous pneumothorax, is a rare entity occurring in young patients and may be life threatening...
- Early video-assisted thoracic surgery for primary spontaneous hemopneumothoraxYu Tang Chang
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, 100 Tzyou 1st Road, Kaohsiung, 80708 Taiwan
World J Surg 31:19-25. 2007Primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax (PSHP) is a rare surgical emergency...
- Thoracoscopic findings and surgical management of catamenial hemopneumothoraxYoshio Tsunezuka
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:197-9. 2006..Pleurodesis with mechanical abrasion of parietal pleura and the diaphragm was performed. Chemical pleurodesis, with minocycline hydrochloride and distilled water was applied...
- Use of presumptive antibiotics following tube thoracostomy for traumatic hemopneumothorax in the prevention of empyema and pneumonia--a multi-center trialRobert A Maxwell
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee Chattanooga Unit, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37403, USA
J Trauma 57:742-8; discussion 748-9. 2004To determine whether presumptive antibiotics reduce the risk of empyema or pneumonia following tube thoracostomy for traumatic hemopneumothorax.
- Massive spontaneous hemopneumothorax complicating rheumatoid lung diseaseAhmet Basoglu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ondokuz Mayis University, Medical School, Samsun, Turkey
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1521-3. 2007Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is characterized by an accumulation of air and blood in the pleural space without any apparent cause...
- Chest radiographyBetty J Tsuei
Department of General Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Room C 221, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 10:189-211. 2002
- [Injury to the right A. pulmonalis due to blunt thoracic trauma]M I Amir
Medisch Spectrum Twente, afd. Chirurgie, Postbus 50.000, 7500 KA Enschede
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 145:2182-5. 2001..pulmonalis as a consequence of blunt thoracic trauma is rare and mostly fatal. In the case of a patient with a massive haematothorax rapid transport to the nearest hospital is preferable to thorax drainage at the site of the accident...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery for primary spontaneous hemopneumothoraxThomas M T Hwong
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:893-6. 2004..This study presents near over a decade of experience from our institution on management of spontaneous hemopneumothorax (SHP), with particular reference to the use of VATS.
- Spontaneous massive haemopneumothorax: case reportsNg Chung Por
Accident and Emergency Department, North District Hospital, Sheung Shui, New Territories, Hong Kong
Eur J Emerg Med 10:47-51. 2003..Inappropriate management can lead to an increase in mortality and morbidity. We emphasize the importance of close monitoring, early recognition, prompt resuscitation and thoracotomy because of the possible lethal implications...
- [Malposition of a central venous catheter in a patient with severe chest trauma]A P Klockgether-Radke
Zentrum Anasthesiologie, Rettungs und Intensivmedizin, Georg August Universitat Gottingen
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 39:292-6. 2004..Correct position of the catheter must be verified using appropriate methods including chest X-ray, intracardiac ECG tracing or display of the central venous pressure curve on a monitor...
- Penetrating chest gunshot wounds: conservative treatmentA Robin-Lersundi
Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Cirugía General y Aparato Digestivo II, Prof Martin Lagos s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Surg Endosc 17:1677. 2003..Many authors propose a conservative attitude in certain cases. We present a patient with a chest gunshot wound successfully solved under conservative means and videothoracoscopic removal of the bullet...
- A portable handpump is effective in the evacuation of hemothorax in a swine model of penetrating chest injuryAmin Jaskille
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
J Trauma 55:864-8. 2003..A small, portable, easy-to-use handpump (HP) that does not require continuous suction for treating hemopneumothorax would offer a major logistical advantage...
- [Successful treatment of the anterior "costal valve" by an apparatus of external fixation]Iu B Shapot
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 166:86-7. 2007
- Thoracoscopic treatment for spontaneous hemopneumothoraxM Miyazawa
Department of Surgery, Kofu Municipal Hospital, 366 Masutsubo, Kofu 400 0832, Japan
Surg Endosc 16:1106. 2002Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a rare clinical entity sometimes requiring an operation in the early stage. Two patients who underwent successful video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) for spontaneous hemopneumothorax are presented...
- [Polytrauma with severe lung contusion. Early use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation]R Sobottke
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Orthopadie der Universitat zu Koln, 50924 Köln, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 109:805-8. 2006..We report about a 23-year-old male and a 15-year-old female patient, who suffered polytrauma and received early treatment with ECMO because of severe lung contusion...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothoraxCalvin Sh Ng
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Curr Opin Pulm Med 12:273-7. 2006Spontaneous hemopneumothorax can be life threatening, and is a cause of patients presenting with unexplained signs of significant hypovolemia...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax in children: case report and review of literatureMagimairajan Issaivanan
Division of Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine, Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center, One Brookdale Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11212, USA
Pediatrics 118:e1268-70. 2006Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is rare, occurs in young adolescents, and can be life threatening secondary to massive bleeding. An adolescent with spontaneous hemopneumothorax and shock managed by tube thorascostomy is described here...
- [Post-traumatic bronchial stenosis: a case report]Elif Torun
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Dr Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 12:159-63. 2006..Radiological and bronchoscopic evaluation revealed right upper lobe atelectasis secondary to fibrosis. Patient underwent right upper lobectomy...
- Minithoracotomy with simultaneous video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery vs. video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for spontaneous hemopneumothoraxC W Hsiao
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, Graduate Institute of Medical Science, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:288-90. 2003Spontaneous hemopneumothorax, a life-threatening and rare disorder and complication of primary spontaneous pneumothorax, is regarded as a surgical emergency...
- Spontaneous haemo-pneumothorax: a rare but life-threatening phenomenonE W Williams
West Indian Med J 54:346-7. 2005
- The risk factors and management of posttraumatic empyema in trauma patientsSevval Eren
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Dicle University, School of Medicine, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Injury 39:44-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to identify the risk factors for posttraumatic empyema and to review our treatment outcomes in patients with this condition...
- Intrathoracic displacement of a fractured humeral headNoreen C Griffin
MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1400. 2007
- [Injury to the right A. pulmonalis due to blunt thoracic trauma]J P Frölke
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:188-9. 2002
- Eureka! A surprising appearance after aspiration of a haemopneumothorax: treat the patient not the radiographJ J E Johnston
Accident and Emergency Department, University Hospital of North Durham, North Road, Durham DH1 5TW, UK
Emerg Med J 22:593-4. 2005..There have been no previous documented reports of this clinical scenario of radiological deterioration with clinical improvement after aspiration of a haemopneumothorax...
- Acute traumatic renal artery to inferior vena cava fistula treated with a covered stentJ Tam
Department of Radiology, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:1129-31. 2006..Initial attempts at excluding the fistula with a balloon were unsuccessful. He was subsequently treated with a covered stent inserted into the right renal artery which successfully excluded the fistula...
- [Nursing care of patients with thoracic drainage after cardiothoracic surgery]Alda Isabel da Silva Catela
Hospital de Santa Maria, Unidade de Cuidados Intensivos de Cirurgia Cardiotorácica
Servir 53:17-25. 2005
- Traumatic haemo-pneumothorax or intubation of right main bronchus?Shih Hung Tsai
Department of Emergency Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, No 325, Cheng Kung Road, Sec 2, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan
Resuscitation 66:257-8. 2005
- Imaging pathologic pulmonary air and fluid accumulation by functional and absolute EITG Hahn
Department of Anaesthesiological Research, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Physiol Meas 27:S187-98. 2006..These results were supported by the good agreement between the electrical impedance tomograms and CT scans on patients and by the significant differences of regional resistivity data between patients and healthy volunteers...
- Indicators of haemothorax in patients with spontaneous pneumothoraxC C Hsu
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chi Mei Foundation Medical Center, 901 Jung Hua Road, Yung Kang City, Tainan 710, Taiwan
Emerg Med J 22:415-7. 2005..To identify indicators and possible risk factors of haemothorax in patients with spontaneous pneumothorax...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax as a result of venous hemangioma: a unique case?Jayapadman Bhaskar
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Wellington Public Hospital, Wellington South, New Zealand
Tex Heart Inst J 33:91-2. 2006Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a rare clinical entity that can be life-threatening, with a significant increase in mortality if not recognized and treated in time...
- Injuries and deaths occurring as a result of bull attackKamil H Dogan
Department of Forensic Medicine, Meram Medical School, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Agromedicine 13:191-6. 2008..costal fractures in all nine chest injury cases, flail chest in five cases, and hemothorax, pneumothorax, or hemopneumothorax were determined in six cases...
- [Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis. Immediate results and postoperative quality of life]J Loscertales
Servicio de Cirugía General y Torácica Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena Sevilla España
Arch Bronconeumol 40:67-71. 2004....
- Risk factors for 24-hour mortality after traumatic rib fractures owing to motor vehicle accidents: a nationwide population-based studyYung Chang Lien
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Medical University and Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1124-30. 2009..We used 3-year population-based data in Taiwan to evaluate risk factors associated with 24-hour mortality among adults with obvious rib fractures and needing hospitalization after traffic accidents...
- [Echocardiography-guided pericardiocentesis with the apical approach]Hasan Orhan Ozer
Department of Cardiology, Medicine Faculty of Gaziantep University, Gaziantep, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 37:177-81. 2009..We aimed to evaluate our experience with echocardiography-guided pericardiocentesis with the apical approach for pericardial effusions...
- Tension pneumopericardium in chest trauma with gunshot woundOsman Darcin Tansel
Harran University, Faculty of Medicine, Departmen of Cardiovascular Surgery, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 9:304-6. 2003..On initial examination, hemopneumothorax and fracture of the clavicle were found on the right side...
- Justifying video-assisted thoracic surgery for spontaneous hemopneumothoraxYi Cheng Wu
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Chest 122:1844-7. 2002Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) has gained a prominent role in routine thoracic surgery practice. This study discusses the clinical aspects and utility of VATS in spontaneous hemopneumothorax (SHP).
- Primary traumatic pulmonary pseudocysts: a rare entityKalliopi Athanassiadi
Department of Thoracic Surgery, General Hospital of Nikea, Piraeus, Hellas, Greece
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:43-5. 2003..With deceleration these parenchymal lacerations can result in cavities known as primary traumatic pulmonary pseudocysts (TPPC). We present our experience in treating this rare entity...
- Videothoracoscopic bleb excision and pleural abrasion for the treatment of primary spontaneous pneumothorax: long-term resultsLoic Lang-Lazdunski
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Percy Military Hospital, Clamart, France
Ann Thorac Surg 75:960-5. 2003..The goal of this study was to evaluate the long-term efficiency of videothoracoscopic bleb excision and pleural abrasion for the treatment of primary spontaneous pneumothorax...
- Tube thoracostomy: the struggle to the "standard of care"Sean F Monaghan
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:2019-22. 2008..Thoracentesis was used to evacuate the hemopneumothorax resulting from chest trauma and that compromised pulmonary function...
- [Severe thoracic trauma: review of 39 cases]E Carreras González
Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos Pediatricos, Hospital de Sant Pau, Universidad Autonoma, Barcelona, Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 67:553-8. 2007....
- Diagnosis and treatment of 42 cases of multiple injuries with pancreatic injuryC Mba Mba
Department of Traumatology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 28:84-6. 2008..Most cases were associated with hemopneumothorax and rib fractures (52.3%), shock (50%), multiple fractures (47.6%), and severe brain injury (26.1%)...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopy in thoracic injury: early or delayed indication?Duilio Divisi
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of L Aquila G Mazzini Hospital, Piazza Italia 1, 64100 Teramo Italy
Acta Biomed 75:158-63. 2004..Seventy-six patients presented hemothorax, 21 hemopneumothorax, 10 suspected diaphragmatic injury and 5 pericardium effusion...
- Lung isolation for the prevention of air embolism in penetrating lung trauma. A case reportA M Ho
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, SAR
Can J Anaesth 47:1256-8. 2000..Emphasis is placed on avoiding positive pressure ventilation (PPV)-induced systemic air/gas embolism (SAE) through traumatic bronchiole-pulmonary venous fistulas...
- Conservative management of retained cardiac missiles: case report and literature reviewJonathan B Lundy
Department of Trauma Surgical Critical Care, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, USA
J Surg Educ 66:228-35. 2009..42-year-old male soldier injured in a mortar blast in Iraq who suffered multiple injuries to include a right hemopneumothorax and soft tissue injuries to the chest and both lower extremities that was found to have a 2-cm by 2-mm ..
- Posterior vertebral column resection for severe rigid scoliosisSe Il Suk
Seoul Spine Institute, Inje University Sanggye Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1682-7. 2005..Retrospective study...
- Management of military vascular injuriesK Ozisik
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Diyarbakir Military Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 42:799-803. 2001..In this study we will discuss the surgical strategy and results of military vascular injuries...
- Respiratory complications of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IVS B Dowton
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Genet 50:510-4. 1996..suffered a spontaneous colonic perforation, developed intermittent recurrent hemoptysis and had a spontaneous hemopneumothorax. At presentation, imaging studies revealed multiple scattered cavitary lesions in both lungs...
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV, vascular type, which demonstrated a novel point mutation in the COL3A1 geneRinako Sadakata
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Saitama Medical University, Saitama, Japan
Intern Med 49:1797-800. 2010..This report discusses a male patient with EDS type IV with dyspnea due to hemopneumothorax. He had thin skin and hypermobile joints and was clinically confirmed as having EDS type IV...
- Analysis of high risk factors related to acute respiratory distress syndrome following severe thoracoabdominal injuriesZheng Guo-shou
Department of Traumatic Surgery, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Chin J Traumatol 10:275-8. 2007..To investigate the high risk factors related to acute respiratory distress syndrome(ARDS) following serious thoracoabdominal injuries...
- Autologous salvaged blood transfusion in spontaneous hemopneumothoraxKazuhiro Sakamoto
First Department of Surgery, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:705-7. 2004Spontaneous hemopneumothorax (SHP) is a rare clinical entity, and an emergent operation due to continuous bleeding or hypovolemic shock is at times necessary...
- Congenital aberrant vessel as a source of massive hemothorax in blunt traumaS M Park
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Kyung Hee University East West Neo Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:436-8. 2008..It has been known to be a source of bleeding in spontaneous hemopneumothorax. As a result of the lack of pleural adhesions around the vessel, a congenital aberrant vessel is prone to ..
- Subacute tension hemopneumothorax with novel electrocardiogram findingsMark A Saks
Drexel University College of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
West J Emerg Med 11:86-9. 2010This case report describes a patient with a subacute right-sided tension hemopneumothorax following an occult stab...
- Simultaneous occurrence of ipsilateral primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax and contralateral pneumothorax in an adolescentHung Hsing Chiang
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
J Pediatr Surg 44:1821-3. 2009Primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a rare disorder but can be life-threatening secondary to massive bleeding. The authors encountered an uncommon case of left primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax and simultaneous right pneumothorax...
- [Delayed traumatic diaphragmatic hernia with strangulated stomach; report of a case]Katsuhito Ueno
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, JR Tokyo General Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Kyobu Geka 61:423-6. 2008A 30-year-old male who had suffered from the left hemopneumothorax due to the traffic accident 13 years before was admitted to our hospital suffering from abdominal pain...
- Traumatic pericardial rupture without cardiac injuryTeruya Nakamura
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, School of Medicine, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:602-5. 2008..Radiographic workup demonstrated multiple fractures, pulmonary contusion, and hemopneumothorax. A chest tube was inserted, and persistent bleeding was observed...
- Diagnosis and management of post-traumatic pulmonary pseudocystRasih Yazkan
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Respir Care 54:538-41. 2009..We saw a 22-year-old man with chest trauma, hemopneumothorax, and hemoptysis, on the day he fell from an electrical pylon...
- [Value of thoracoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of complicated thoracic endometriosis in 2 patients]Sandra Martínez Somolinos
Servei de Cirurgia Toràcica, Hospital Universitari Dr Josep Trueta, Girona, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 44:224-5. 2008We present 2 cases in which, when faced with suspicion of catamenial hemopneumothorax or pneumothorax, video-assisted thoracoscopy was used for identification, biopsy, and electrocoagulation of the tissue sites where pleural endometriosis ..
- Complications associated with clavicular fractureGeorge Mouzopoulos
Orthopaedic Department of Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Orthop Nurs 28:217-24; quiz 225-6. 2009..or comminuted clavicle fractures are associated with complications such as subclavian vessels injury, hemopneumothorax, brachial plexus paresis, nonunion, malunion, posttraumatic arthritis, refracture, and other complications ..
- [Right atrial perforation after an endocardial screw-in atrial lead implantation]Ahmet Avci
Department of Cardiology, Selcuk University Faculty of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 41:541-4. 2013..Minimal pericardial effusion and right hemopneumothorax were found...
- Pneumothorax caused by costal exostosisKentaro Imai
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 20:161-4. 2014..Costal exostosis may cause chest pain and, on rare occasions, result in hemothorax, pneumothorax, hemopneumothorax, and diaphragmatic or pericardial laceration...
- Needle versus tube thoracostomy in a swine model of traumatic tension hemopneumothoraxJohn B Holcomb
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 13:18-27. 2009Traumatic tension hemopneumothorax is fatal if not treated rapidly. However, whether prehospital decompression is better achieved by chest tube or needle thoracostomy is unknown...
- Emergency surgery for spontaneous hemopneumothoraxCumhur Murat Tulay
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sanlıurfa Teaching and Research Hospital, Sanliurfa, Turkey
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 24:435-347. 2014Emergency management of spontaneous hemopneumothorax patients was retrospectively analysed in this study. From November 2009 to August 2012, 221 patients with spontaneous pneumothorax were treated in the thoracic surgery clinic...
- Hemopneumothorax in an intravenous drug abuserA L Jackson
Department of Surgery, Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 87:309-11. 1995This article reports a case of an intravenous drug abuser who presented with a hemopneumothorax, which is a rare complication of jugular vein self-injection...
- [Surgical treatment for traumatic injury of the ascending aorta and aortic arch; report of a case]Taro Kanamori
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Chibanishi General Hospital, Matsudo, Japan
Kyobu Geka 67:483-5. 2014..including injury of the ascending aorta and aortic arch, multiple fractures of the ribs and bilateral hemopneumothorax. An emergency surgery for aortic repair was performed because there were no other severe hemorrhagic ..
- Presumptive antibiotic use in tube thoracostomy for traumatic hemopneumothorax: an Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma practice management guidelineForrest O Moore
Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 73:S341-4. 2012..management guidelines for the use of presumptive antibiotics in TT for patients who sustained a traumatic hemopneumothorax. The Practice Management Guidelines Committee of EAST has updated the 1998 guidelines to reflect current ..
- Pneumomediastinum complicated by subclavian central venous catheterization in a severe thoracic trauma patientLiang Chih Chen
Department of Anesthesiology, Kaohsiung Armed Forces General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 45:185-8. 2007..However in severe thoracotraumatized patients, such as with bilateral hemopneumothorax, the catherization may be hazardous and made complex by occurrence pneumomediastinum, even the procedure is ..
- Laparoscopic management of left thoracoabdominal stab wounds: a prospective studyTayfun Yucel
Department of Surgery, Sakarya Medical School, Sakarya University, Sakarya, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 20:42-5. 2010....
- Short-term X-ray results of posterior vertebral column resection in severe congenital kyphosis, scoliosis, and kyphoscoliosisCagatay Ozturk
Istanbul Spine Center, Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1054-7. 2012..Retrospective case series...
- Intramural hematoma of the pulmonary artery and hemopneumomediastinum after endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspirationMaribel Botana-Rial
Bronchopleural Techniques Unit, Pulmonology Service, Respiratory and Infectious Disease Research Group, Biomedical Research Institute, Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Vigo, Vigo, Spain
Respiration 83:353-6. 2012..We describe the first reported case of pulmonary artery intramural hematoma after EBUS-TBNA puncture of this artery. The complication was visualized by ultrasound and resolved spontaneously...
- Perforation of the trachea by an endotracheal tube: an autopsy caseHiroaki Sato
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, Iseigaoka1 1, Yahata Nishi, Kitakyushu 807 8555, Japan
Int J Legal Med 123:513-6. 2009..endotracheal tube passed through the membranous part of the trachea into the pleural space and caused a hemopneumothorax followed by blood aspiration and death...
- Anterior versus posterior approach in the treatment of chronic thoracolumbar fracturesZhi Wen Chen
Department of Orthopaedics, 175th Hospital of PLA, Traumatic Orthopaedics Center of PLA, Southeast Hospital of Xiamen University, Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, PR China
Orthopedics 35:e219-24. 2012..05), but complications of hemopneumothorax, abdominal distension, and constipation were fewer in group B (P<.05)...
- Chest trauma in children, single center experienceMohamed Fouad Ismail
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mansoura University Hospitals, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Arch Bronconeumol 48:362-6. 2012..1%) and lacerations (6.9%), rib fractures (23.9%), flail chest (2.5%), hemothorax (18%), hemopneumothorax (11.8%), pneumothorax (23.7%), surgical emphysema (6.1%), tracheobronchial injury (5...
- Hepatic hydrothorax after blunt chest traumaShang Chiung Wang
Division of Trauma, Department of Emergency Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 75:413-5. 2012..There was no hemopneumothorax at initial presentation. However, dyspnea and right pleural effusion developed gradually...
- Dead bodies found in wellsKamil Hakan Dogan
Department of Forensic Medicine, Meram Medical School, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 31:208-12. 2010..Wells should be covered and kept closed at all times to reduce the number of accidental deaths resulting from falls into wells...
- Penetrating injury to the intra-abdominal esophagus from a stab wound to the left flankLana Bijelic
Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Trauma 63:927-8. 2007
- Pulmonary tractotomy for a patient with traumatic penetrating lung injury: report of a caseMasashi Muraoka
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Translational Medical Sciences, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Japan
Surg Today 35:972-5. 2005We report a case of traumatic hemopneumothorax caused by penetrating lung injury in a 26-year-old man. The patient underwent emergency thoractomy, which revealed hemorrhage in the lingular segment of the left lung...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax: a rare but life-threatening entityStamatios Kakaris
First Department of Thoracic Surgery, General Hospital for Chest Diseases SOTIRIA, 34A Konstantinoupoleos str, 15562 Holargos, Athens, Greece
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:856-8. 2004Spontaneous hemopneumothorax (SHP) is a rare disorder, complicating 1-12% of patients with spontaneous pneumothorax...
- Haemopneumothorax after fine needle aspiration of the breastR Hoey
J R Soc Med 97:50. 2004
- Surgical repair for chronic traumatic thoracic aneurysm after 12-year follow-upNorihiro Kondo
First Department of Surgery, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Aomori, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:586-8. 2004..Eighteen years prior to surgery, he had been involved in a traffic accident, suffering a left hemopneumothorax. Chronic traumatic thoracic aneurysm is extremely rare that few guidelines for surgical intervention exist ..
- [Gastric wall necrosis owing to its incarceration through a rupture of the diaphragm into the left thoracic cavity]István Sugár
Semmelweis Egyetem II, sz Sebśzeti Klinika, Budapest
Magy Seb 58:42-6. 2005..Her general condition was getting progressively worse. Chest X-ray demonstrated a left sided hemopneumothorax caused by a fractured rib...
- Total mediastinal traverse with isolated internal mammary artery transectionAli Khoynezhad
Department of Surgery, North Shore University Long Island Jewish Medical Center, The Long Island Campus of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New Hyde Park, New York 11040, USA
J Card Surg 19:136-8. 2004..We describe a patient with total mediastinal traverse, who presented with right-sided hemopneumothorax. The work-up revealed surprisingly an isolated left internal mammary artery transection with a significant ..
- Spontaneous haemopneumothorax: are guidelines overdue?S R Hart
King s College Hospital, London, UK
Emerg Med J 19:273-4. 2002..Furthermore, we suggest treatment would be improved by the introduction of management guidelines...
- [Major thoracic trauma--sternal trauma]Lorenzo Dominioni
Chirurgia Generale ad Indirizzo Toracico, Universita dell Insubria, Ospedale di Circolo di Varese, Viale Borri, 57, 21100 Varese
Ann Ital Chir 76:225-8. 2005..with sternal fractures; chest tubes were positioned in 3 pts. (hemopneumothorax) and one patient was surgically treated because of painful sternal pseudoarthrosis (2 months after trauma)...
- Pigtail tube drainage in the treatment of spontaneous pneumothoraxChien Ming Liu
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Emerg Med 21:241-4. 2003..Among the chest tube group, 15 underwent surgical intervention as a result of delayed resolution and hemopneumothorax; and among the pigtail group, 15 had other procedures for pneumothorax, including chest tube insertion and ..
- Thoracic fracture dislocations without vertebral clinical signsM J Potter
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, The John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford 0X3 9DU, UK
Injury 34:942-3. 2003
- Sympathotomy instead of sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis: minimizing postoperative compensatory hyperhidrosisJohn L D Atkinson
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:167-72. 2003..To determine whether anatomical modification of sympathectomy diminishes severe postoperative compensatory hyperhidrosis...
- Posterior atlanto-occipital dislocation and concomitant discoligamentous C3-C4 instability with survivalA Junge
Department of Trauma Surgery, Philipps University of Marburg, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1722-5. 2001..A case report is presented...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothoraxKeith Hentel
Department of Radiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Pediatr Radiol 32:457-9. 2002Spontaneous hemopneumothorax is a potentially fatal condition associated with 1-12% of all spontaneous pneumothoraces. Prompt diagnosis is essential in order to allow for rapid surgical intervention...
- Haemopneumothorax after fine needle aspiration of the breastI S Whitaker
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
J R Soc Med 96:555-6. 2003
- [Spontaneous tension haemopneumothorax]Levent Ozdemir
Clinic of Chest Diseases, Dortyol State Hospital, Hatay, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 60:258-60. 2012..This is the second case of spontaneous tension haemopneumothorax in English literature, according to our knowledge. We present this case because of being a rare condition...
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery in pediatric patients: the Taiwan experienceYu Kai Huang
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, 100 Tzyou 1st Road, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
Biomed Res Int 2013:850840. 2013..Therefore, we elaborated on the experience about pectus excavatum: Nuss procedure, primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax, thoracoscopic thymectomy, and empyema in Taiwan.
- Cattle-caused fatalities in a province of western Turkey: 1996-2010 autopsy resultsKenan Karbeyaz
Eskisehir Courthouse, Alanonu Mahallesi, Cifteler Cad No 87 A, 26090, Eskisehir, Turkey
J Forensic Sci 58:697-9. 2013..The majority of deaths were caused by injuries on the chest (71.4%). The reason for most deaths was due to hemopneumothorax and lung injury (71.4%)...
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax simulating acute abdominal affectionsTai Heng Chen
Department of Pediatrics, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan Division of Pediatric Emergency, Department of Emergency, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Pediatr Pulmonol 49:E1-4. 2014Spontaneous hemopneumothorax (SHP) is a rare potentially life-threatening condition that occurs in predominantly young adolescents. The resultant massive hemorrhage leading to hypovolemic shock can be a surgical emergency...
- Post-traumatic pulmonary pseudocyst with hemopneumothorax following blunt chest trauma: a case reportDimitris Fagkrezos
Computed Tomography Department, Konstantopouleio General Hospital, Agias Olgas 3 5, Nea Ionia, 14233, Greece
J Med Case Rep 6:356. 2012..abstract:..
- Case reports: iatrogenic bronchial rupture following the use of endotracheal tube introducersMehmet Sahin
Clinique Universitaire de Radiologie et Imagerie Médicale, CHU Grenoble, Universite J Fourier, 38043, Grenoble Cedex, France
Can J Anaesth 59:963-7. 2012..mainstem bronchus bleeding, perforation of the tracheal mucosa, and tracheal abrasion associated with hemopneumothorax. Using a computed tomography (CT) scan, we illustrate two cases of non-severe airway injuries related to ..
- [A rare complication after Velpeau bandage: hemopneumothorax]Ali Yeginsu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Gaziosmanpasa University Faculty of Medicine, Tokat, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 19:274-6. 2013..An obvious displacement at the rib fracture sites and hemopneumothorax were seen in the chest X-ray. A chest tube was inserted into the patient...