Summary: Infection with parasitic protozoa of the genus CYCLOSPORA. It is distributed globally and causes a diarrheal illness. Transmission is waterborne.
Publications118 found, 100 shown here
- Experimental studies on cyclosporiosisH A Sadaka
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 31:65-77. 2001..Electron microscopy demonstrated both sexual and asexual developmental stages of Cyclospora in ultrathin infected sections. Therefore, Cyclospora species require only a single host to complete its entire life cycle..
- Cyclospora cayetanensis in a patient with travelers' diarrhea: case report and reviewAthina Kansouzidou
Department of Microbiology, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Travel Med 11:61-3. 2004..In European countries, a few cases of Cyclospora cayetanensis infection have been reported, and almost all of them were observed in persons after foreign travel...
- Co-infection with Cryptosporidium parvum and Cyclospora cayetanensis in immunocompromised patientsMoshira M F Helmy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Misr University for Science and Technology, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:613-27. 2006..So, PCR is more sensitive and easier to interpret but required more hands-on time to perform and is more expensive. However, PCR batch analysis reduces the cost considerably...
- Use of PCR to improve diagnostic yield in an outbreak of cyclosporiasis in Lima, PeruCarmen C Mundaca
US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima, Peru, NMRCD
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:712-7. 2008..PCR greatly increased the number of C. cayetanensis cases detected during this outbreak, allowing the correct identification of its aetiology...
- Epidemiologic differences between cyclosporiasis and cryptosporidiosis in Peruvian childrenCaryn Bern
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:581-5. 2002We compared the epidemiologic characteristics of cyclosporiasis and cryptosporidiosis in data from a cohort study of diarrhea in a periurban community near Lima, Peru. Children had an average of 0.20 episodes of cyclosporiasis/year and 0...
- A case of human cyclosporiasis causing traveler's diarrhea after visiting IndonesiaJae Ran Yu
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Konkuk University, Chungju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:738-41. 2003This is the first case of human cyclosporiasis reported in Korea. We detected the oocyst of Cyclospora cayetanensis from a 14-yr old girl who complained of persistent diarrhea after traveling to Indonesia...
- Outbreak of cyclosporiasis at a naval base in Lima, PeruPaola A Torres-Slimming
Alerta-DISAMAR System Peruvian Navy, Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:546-8. 2006..We describe an outbreak of cyclosporiasis in Peruvian naval recruits that we believe to be the first among a local population in a developing region.
- Cyclospora cayetanensis: a review, focusing on the outbreaks of cyclosporiasis in the 1990sB L Herwaldt
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:1040-57. 2000..My focus is the foodborne and waterborne outbreaks of cyclosporiasis that were documented from 1990 through 1999...
- Cyclosporiasis: an emerging public health concern around the world and in AfricaRobert M Karanja
Centre for Biotechnology Research and Development CBRD, Kenya Medical Research Institute, P O Box 54840 City Square, Nairobi, Kenya
Afr Health Sci 7:62-7. 2007b>Cyclosporiasis is an emerging gastro-enteric disease caused by the coccidia protozoan Cyclospora cayetanensis. It is associated with diarrhoea among children in developing countries, in the Americas where C...
- Outbreak of cyclosporiasis associated with imported raspberries, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2000Alice Y Ho
Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19146, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:783-8. 2002An outbreak of cyclosporiasis occurred in attendees of a wedding reception held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on June 10, 2000. In a retrospective cohort study, 54 (68...
- Outbreak of cyclosporiasis associated with basil in Missouri in 1999A S Lopez
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:1010-7. 2001During the summer of 1999, an outbreak of cyclosporiasis occurred among attendees of 2 events held on 24 July in different counties in Missouri...
- Incidence of cyclosporiasis in patients with gastrointestinal symptoms in western TurkeyNevin Turgay
Department of Parasitology, Ege University Medical Faculty, Izmir, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 13:CR34-9. 2007This study was designed to investigate the distribution of cyclosporiasis between October 2003 and October 2004 and the relationship between Cyclospora infection and seasonal as well as patient factors in western Turkey.
- Comparison of three microscopic techniques for diagnosis of Cyclospora cayetanensisKenji Kimura
Central Laboratory, Maezawa Industries Inc, Saitama, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 238:263-6. 2004..cayetanensis making it a technique of choice for routine epidemiological investigation of the prevalence of this infection in human populations...
- Detection of Cyclospora cayetanensis in animal fecal isolates from Nepal using an FTA filter-base polymerase chain reaction methodDan-My T Chu
Division of Microbiological Studies, and Division of Virulence Assessment, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration, College Park, MD 20704, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:373-9. 2004..of fresh produce and water sources contaminated with mature sporulated oocysts results in acquisition of cyclosporiasis. Currently, no animal model exists for the study of this pathogenic parasite and the only confirmed reservoir ..
- Cryptosporidium, Giardia, and Cyclospora in ancient PeruviansYnes R Ortega
Center for Food Safety and Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Georgia, Griffin, Georgia 30223, USA
J Parasitol 89:635-6. 2003..ca. AD 500-900) contained Giardia sp. cysts. This report demonstrates that Giardia sp. and Cryptosporidium sp. were present in Peruvian coastal populations for at least 4,300 and 1,100 BP...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis, a food- and waterborne coccidian parasiteLinda S Mansfield
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, B43 Food Safety Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Vet Parasitol 126:73-90. 2004..There are many outstanding questions regarding this parasite and under-reporting is common because general diagnostic methods for intestinal parasites are inadequate for detection of Cyclospora...
- [Cyclospora cayetanensis in patients with AIDS and chronic diarrhea]Jorge Néstor Velásquez
Sala 4, Hospital Municipal de Infecciosas Dr Francisco J Muñiz, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam 34:133-7. 2004..Light microscopy revealed parasites in the enterocytes and these parasites were associated with villous atrophy. Cyclospora cayetanensis infection might be an important cause of diarrhea in patients with AIDS in Argentina...
- Detection of Cyclospora cayetanensis using a quantitative real-time PCR assayManju Varma
National Exposure Research Laboratory, United States Environmental Protection Agency, 26 West Martin Luther King Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45268-1320, USA
J Microbiol Methods 53:27-36. 2003..cayetanensis. The real-time polymerase chain reaction assay has been optimized to specifically detect the DNA from as few as 1 oocyst of C. cayetanensis per 5 microl reaction volume...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis infection in Lagos, NigeriaG E Alakpa
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:731-3. 2003..We present 11 cases of cyclosporiasis detected from stool samples submitted to seven major hospital laboratories in Lagos, Nigeria between March ..
- Cyclosporiasis associated with diarrhoea in an immunocompetent patient in TurkeyMeral Turk
Department of Microbiology, State Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Med Microbiol 53:255-7. 2004Cyclospora cayetanensis, the parasitic agent responsible for human cyclosporiasis, is an emerging worldwide cause of diarrhoea in immunocompetent people as well as in immunocompromised patients, such as those with AIDS...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis infection: vegetables and water as possible vehicles for its transmission in Lagos, NigeriaG E Alakpa
Department of Medical Microbiology anid Parasitology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria
Br J Biomed Sci 60:113-4. 2003
- Cyclospora cayetanensis and other intestinal parasites associated with diarrhea in a rural area of JordanLaila F Nimri
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, Jordan University of Science and Technology, P O Box 3030, 22110 Irbid, Jordan
Int Microbiol 6:131-5. 2003..The results reflect the seasonality of natural cyclosporiasis and cryptosporidiosis, being higher in the spring...
- [Acute diarrhea associated with Cyclospora cayetanensis]Irina Popovici
Disciplina de Microbiologie, Facultatea de Medicin,
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 107:877-80. 2003..We describe the first case of acute diarrhea associated with Cyclospora cayetanensis in an immunocompetent child admitted to IaÅŸi "Sf. Maria" Hospital...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis in stools submitted to hospitals in Lagos, NigeriaG Alakpa
Tropical Disease Laboratory, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, University of Lagos, Nigeria
Int J Infect Dis 6:314-8. 2002..The epidemiology and biology of the parasite are poorly understood, and numerous outbreaks of cyclosporiasis have been recorded from around the world since 1990, but the incidence of the parasite in Nigeria has not been ..
- Intestinal coccidia in Cuban pediatric patients with diarrheaF A Núñez
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, La Habana, Cuba
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:539-42. 2003..01). Our results showed that emerging intestinal coccidia are pathogens strongly associated in this group of children with diarrhea...
- Retrospective study of the occurrence of Cyclospora cayetanensis at Clinical Hospital of the University of São Paulo Medical School, SPElenice Messias do Nascimento Gonçalves
Central Laboratory Division, Clinical Hospital, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Av Dr Arnaldo 455 1 degree andar, sala 1215, 01246 903 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:326-30. 2005..3%. Of the 14 infected patients, the mean age was 38 years and 71.4% were female. Ten patients presented symptoms; six presented levels of immunological markers and five patients were immunodeficient...
- Enhanced concentration and isolation of Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts from human fecal samplesDiana K Riner
Pegasus Technical Services Inc, 46 E Hollister St Cincinnati, OH 45219, United States
J Microbiol Methods 71:75-7. 2007Cyclospora cayetanensis is the causative agent of cyclosporiasis, an emerging infectious disease. We present a new method for the purification of C...
- Molecular characterization of Cyclospora-like organism from dairy cattleGuoqing Li
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Parasitol Res 100:955-61. 2007....
- Effects of temperature and different food matrices on Cyclospora cayetanensis oocyst sporulationLakshmi Sathyanarayanan
University of Georgia, Griffin, Georgia 30223, USA
J Parasitol 92:218-22. 2006..Sporulation was not observed in basil leaves or water at -70 C, 70 C, and 100 C. Sporulation was not affected when incubated at 4 C and 23 C for up to 1 wk, which was the duration of the experiment in both of the tested substrates...
- Molecular identification of Cycospora spp. using multiplex PCR from diarrheic children compared to others conventional methodsEman M Hussein
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, P O Pox 41152, Ismailia, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:585-98. 2007..cayetanensis but the three Cyclospora species of primates was identified by multiplex PCR among all cyclosporiasis patients diagnosed by different methods. The results showed that Cyclospora was detected in 25 (17.8%), 31 (22...
- Acid-fast bodies in faecal smears stained by the modified Ziehl-Neelsen techniqueS C Clarke
Scottish Meningococcus and Pneumococcus Reference Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, House on the Hill, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow G21 3UW, UK
Br J Biomed Sci 58:7-10. 2001..It is essential that criteria such as morphology and size be taken into account to differentiate organisms with similar staining reactions...
- A report case of Cyclospora and Cryptosporidium mixed infection in a HIV-negative child in ThailandK Chokephaibulkit
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 84:589-92. 2001..The illness was cured by co-trimoxazole and fluid therapy. More coccidial infections in Thailand may be detected if modified acid-fast staining is routinely performed...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts in sputum of a patient with active pulmonary tuberculosis, case report in Ismailia, EgyptEman M Hussein
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:787-93. 2005..However, this was the second time to report C. cayetanensis oocysts in human sputum. The first one was in Argentina. So, C. cayetanensis is a new respiratory system pathogen which must be considered in the differential diagnosis...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis infections among diarrheal patients from VenezuelaL Chacin-Bonilla
Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:351-4. 2001..Other pathogenic parasites were present in most of the patients (9 of 14, 64.3%) shedding oocysts. Cyclosporiasis predominated in children 2-5 years of age with respect to those < or = one year of age (P < 0.05)...
- A survey for Cyclospora spp. in Kenyan primates, with some notes on its biologyM L Eberhard
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3724, USA
J Parasitol 87:1394-7. 2001..papionis, vervet monkeys with C. cercopitheci, and colobus monkeys with C. colobi, despite geographic overlaps of both the monkey and parasite species and wide geographic distribution of each parasite and monkey host...
- Emerging pathogen Cyclospora cayetanensis infection in NepalJ B Sherchand
Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Department of Microbiology-Parasitology/Infectious and Tropical Diseases Research Center, Kathmandu, Nepal
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:143-50. 2001..A longitudinal study on cyclosporiasis in different parts of Nepal was carried out from April, 1995 until November, 2000...
- Point prevalence of Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, and Isospora infections in patients being evaluated for diarrheaJulie A Ribes
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536-0298, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 122:28-32. 2004..Clinicians need to be reminded that additional tests should be ordered to fully evaluate patients with chronic diarrhea in which no diagnosis is found by routine testing...
- Foodborne protozoan parasitesDavid Dawson
Campden and Chorleywood Food Research Association, Microbiology Department, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire GL55 6LD, United Kingdom
Int J Food Microbiol 103:207-27. 2005..Large outbreaks of waterborne cyclosporiasis have not been identified...
- History of human parasitologyF E G Cox
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Clin Microbiol Rev 15:595-612. 2002..cestodiasis, paragonimiasis, clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis, amoebiasis, giardiasis, African trypanosomiasis, South American trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, malaria, toxoplasmosis, cryptosporidiosis, cyclosporiasis, and microsporidiosis.
- Cryptosporidium, enterocytozoon, and cyclospora infections in pediatric and adult patients with diarrhea in TanzaniaJ P Cegielski
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Clin Infect Dis 28:314-21. 1999Cryptosporidiosis, microsporidiosis, and cyclosporiasis were studied in four groups of Tanzanian inpatients: adults with AIDS-associated diarrhea, children with chronic diarrhea (of whom 23 of 59 were positive [+] for human ..
- [High prevalence of Cyclospora cayetanensis among indigenous people in Bolivar State, Venezuela]Rodolfo Devera
Escuela de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Oriente Núcleo Bolívar, Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela
Cad Saude Publica 21:1778-84. 2005..8%) were the most prevalent intestinal parasites. Coccidiosis prevalence was 13.1%, and cyclosporiasis was the most prevalent with 11.9% (19 cases). One subject with C. parvum oocysts and another with I...
- Cyclosporiasis in a traveler returning from South AmericaD Drenaggi
Institute of Infectious Diseases and Public Health, University of Ancona, Italy
J Travel Med 5:153-5. 1998..The parasite is associated with prolonged self-limiting and relapsing watery diarrhea, anorexia, fatigue, and sometimes myalgia. Fever is infrequent...
- [Cyclospora cayetanensis and Cryptosporidium parvum coinfection in a pregnant woman with prolonged diarrhoea]Nihal Dogan
Eskişehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Eskisehir
Mikrobiyol Bul 44:155-9. 2010..Cases of cyclosporiasis are frequently missed, since it is difficult to detect the parasite in human fecal samples, despite an ..
- A modified case-control study of cryptosporidiosis (using non-Cryptosporidium-infected enteric cases as controls) in a community settingK D M Pintar
Laboratory for Foodborne Zoonoses, Public Health Agency of Canada, Guelph, ON, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 137:1789-99. 2009..Persons ill with one of nine other enteric infections (amoebiasis, campylobacteriosis, cyclosporiasis, giardiasis, listeriosis, salmonellosis, shigellosis, verotoxigenic E...
- Parasitic infections in AIDS patients. Cryptosporidiosis, isosporiasis, microsporidiosis, cyclosporiasisM Wittner
Department of Parasitology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York
Infect Dis Clin North Am 7:569-86. 1993..Until the AIDS epidemic, several of these parasitic infections were almost unknown as causes of human disease. This article reviews the diseases produced by cryptosporidia, isospora, cyclospora, and microsporidia in humans...
- Cyclosporiasis associated with imported raspberries, Florida, 1996D Katz
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Atlanta, USA
Public Health Rep 114:427-38. 1999..In 1995, 45 cases of cyclosporiasis were diagnosed in Florida residents who had no history of recent foreign travel, but an investigation could ..
- Cyclospora cayetanensis: a review, focusing on some of the remaining questions about cyclosporiasisMoshira M F Helmy
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Misr University for Science and Technology, Al Motamayez District 6th of October Governorate, P O Box 77, Egypt
Infect Disord Drug Targets 10:368-75. 2010b>Cyclosporiasis is a protracted, relapsing gastroenteritis and has a short recorded history...
- High occurrence of cyclosporiasis in Istanbul, Turkey, during a dry and warm summerMelda Ozdamar
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Anadolu Medical Center, Kocaeli 41400, Turkey
Parasit Vectors 3:39. 2010..positive cases (15) were clustered during about 15 days in June 2007, indicating an unusual incidence of cyclosporiasis in this time period. The climatic characteristics of 2007 could have played a role in this high occurrence rate...
- A foodborne outbreak of Cyclospora infection in Stockholm, SwedenMona Insulander
Department of Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Stockholm County Council, Stockholm, Sweden
Foodborne Pathog Dis 7:1585-7. 2010..Imported sugar snap peas from Guatemala were the suspected vehicle, based on information obtained from patient questionnaires. This is the first reported outbreak of cyclosporiasis in Sweden and the second in Europe.
- Cyclospora cayetanensis: first report of imported and autochthonous infections in KuwaitJamshaid Iqbal
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13110, Kuwait
J Infect Dev Ctries 5:383-90. 2011..and Cyclospora cayetanensis have emerged as significant human pathogens worldwide. The reports of Cyclospora cayetanensis infection in the Middle East are sporadic and no case has been reported from Kuwait...
- The impact of health communication and enhanced laboratory-based surveillance on detection of cyclosporiasis outbreaks in CaliforniaJ C Mohle-Boetani
Disease Investigations Section, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 6:200-3. 2000..influence of media information on testing for Cyclospora, and the method used to identify cases during eight cyclosporiasis outbreaks in California in spring of 1997...
- [An outbreak of Cyclospora cayetanensis in Medellín, Colombia]Jorge Botero-Garcés
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Antioquia
Rev Salud Publica (Bogota) 8:258-68. 2006..Describing an outbreak of gastrointestinal disease in a group of 56 patients from Medellín, Colombia...
- First reported waterborne outbreak of cryptosporidiosis with Cyclospora co-infection in TurkeyU Aksoy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Euro Surveill 12:E070215.4. 2007
- Real-time PCR and flow cytometry in detection of Cyclospora oocysts in fecal samples of symptomatic and asymptomatic pediatrics patientsEman M Hussein
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia 41152, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:151-70. 2007The magnitude of Cyclospora oocysts excretion in relation to infection intensity among cyclosporiasis patients was assessed using flow cytometry and quantitative real-time PCR (RT-PCR). Oocysts from stool samples of 25 (14...
- Efficacy of nitazoxanide for cyclosporiasis in patients with sulfa allergyShanta M Zimmer
Clin Infect Dis 44:466-7. 2007
- Incidence of foodborne illnesses reported by the foodborne diseases active surveillance network (FoodNet)-1997. FoodNet Working GroupD J Wallace
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Disease, Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Atlanta, Georgia 30333 USA
J Food Prot 63:807-9. 2000..coli O157:H7 infections, 139 of yersiniosis, 77 of listeriosis, 51 of Vibrio infections, and 49 of cyclosporiasis. Results from 1997 demonstrate that while there are regional and seasonal differences in reported incidence ..
- [A human case of cyclosporiasis after traveling in the subtropics]Nevin Turgay
Ege Universitesi Tip Fakültesi Parazitoloji Anabilim Dali, Bornova, Izmir
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 30:83-5. 2006..general practitioners, and medical microbiology labs should be informed that more attention should be paid to cyclosporiasis causing diarrheal illness and which requires specific screening methods with experienced microscopists in ..
- Cyclosporiasis: a point source outbreak acquired in GuatemalaSabino Puente
Tropical Medicine Unit, Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
J Travel Med 13:334-7. 2006b>Cyclosporiasis is a disease due to Cyclospora cayetanensis, an emerging coccidian parasite first described in 1979. It is an orally transmitted disease that is more frequent in tropical and subtropical areas...
- [Emergence of a new pathogen: Cyclospora cayetanensis in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus]M Santana Añé
Rev Cubana Med Trop 52:66-9. 2000..This paper reports two Cuban cases of cyclosporiasis associated with infection from human immunodeficiency virus in which non sporulated oocysts of Cyclospora ..
- Co-infection of Giardia intestinalis and Cyclospora cayetanensis in an immunocompetent patient with prolonged diarrhea: case reportOzgur Koru
Division of Medical Parasitology, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
J Microbiol 44:360-2. 2006..Cases of cyclosporiasis are frequently missed, primarily due to the fact that the parasite can be quite difficult to detect in human ..
- [Bioterrorism, parasites as potential bioterrorism agents and biosecurity studies]Umit Aksoy
, Parazitoloji Anabilim Dali, Izmir
Mikrobiyol Bul 40:129-39. 2006..In this review article, bioterrorism, the role of parasites as potential bioterrorism agents, studies on biosecurity and laboratory design for biosafety have been discussed under the light of recent literature...
- Foodborne outbreaks of cyclosporiasis have arisen in North America. Is the United Kingdom at risk?R M Chalmers
Cryptosporidium Reference Unit, Swansea Public Health Laboratory, Singleton Hospital, Sgeti
Commun Dis Public Health 3:50-5. 2000..Epidemiological investigations of outbreaks of cyclosporiasis among people in the United States and Canada who had not travelled abroad showed the infection to be foodborne ..
- Epidemiology of Cyclospora cayetanensis infection in San Carlos Island, Venezuela: strong association between socio-economic status and infectionLeonor Chacin-Bonilla
Postgrado de Inmunología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Apartado Postal 15165, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:1018-24. 2007..A study was conducted to determine the prevalence and risk factors for cyclosporiasis in San Carlos Island, Venezuela. A sample of 515 subjects (mean+/-SD: 21.4+/-17.8 years) was surveyed...
- Transmission of Cyclospora cayetanensis infection: a review focusing on soil-borne cyclosporiasisLeonor Chacin-Bonilla
Postgrado de Inmunología, Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Apartado Postal 23, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:215-6. 2008In industrialised regions, cyclosporiasis has been most often linked with either food-borne outbreaks or foreign travel...
- [Notable imported infectious diseases]Kenji Ohnishi
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo Metropolitan Bokutoh General Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 85:139-43. 2011..a new type of human influenza; chikungunya fever, in which the number of Japanese patients is increasing; and cyclosporiasis, which led to a number of food poisonings in the USA and Canada, and as a growing number of Japanese travel ..
- Wealth and its associations with enteric parasitic infections in a low-income community in Peru: use of principal component analysisShantanu Nundy
Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:38-42. 2011..042 by tertiles). Contrarily, infections with Cryptosporidium and Cyclospora were independent of wealth. Thus, subtle differences in wealth may affect the frequency of specific parasitic infections within low-income communities...
- [A rare gastroenteritis pathogen: Cyclospora]Meltem Tasbakan
Ege Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji, Izmir, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 34:95-7. 2010Cyclospora spp. which are coccidian parasites are rare gastroenteritis pathogens. The first cyclosporiasis case in Turkey was reported in 1998 in a patient with AIDS...
- Template preparation for PCR and RFLP of amplification products for the detection and identification of Cyclospora sp. and Eimeria spp. Oocysts directly from raspberriesK C Jinneman
Seafood Products Research Center, U S Food and Drug Administration, Bothell, Washington 98041, USA
J Food Prot 61:1497-503. 1998Raspberries were epidemiologically associated with cyclosporiasis outbreaks during 1996 and 1997...
- Diarrhea due to Cyclospora-like organism in an immunocompetent patientMairelina Marín-Leonett
Laboratorio de Especialidades Parasitológicas, Universidad de Oriente, Cumana, Sucre, Venezuela
J Infect Dev Ctries 1:345-7. 2007..The emergence of new related parasite pathogens, is an issue of public health concern. We report here a case where a Cyclospora-like organism was the cause of diarrhea in an immunocompetent patient from Venezuela...
- Cyclosporiasis: clinical and histopathologic correlatesB A Connor
New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York, USA
Clin Infect Dis 28:1216-22. 1999..cayetanensis infection may persist beyond parasite eradication. It is intriguing to speculate that the myelin-like material is a marker for persistent inflammation, but further study and confirmation are needed...
- [Three diarrheal cases caused by Cyclospora cayetanensis in Kayseri]Suleyman Yazar
Erciyes Universitesi, Tip Fakultesi, Parazitoloji Bilim Dali, Kayseri, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 33:85-8. 2009..In this study, an attempt has been made to shown the importance of Cyclospora cayetanensis, which is a cause of prolonged diarrhea mainly in immunosuppressed patients and is generally presented in case reports in our country...
- [Two diarrhea cases caused by Cyclospora cayetanensis]Mutalip Cicek
Dicle University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Mikrobiyol Bul 45:553-7. 2011..Cases of cyclosporiasis have been frequently missed, since it is difficult to detect the parasite in fecal sample, despite an ..
- Correlation between CD4 counts of HIV patients and enteric protozoan in different seasons - an experience of a tertiary care hospital in Varanasi (India)Lekha Tuli
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
BMC Gastroenterol 8:36. 2008..This study is the first of its kind in this area where an attempt was made to correlate seasonal variation and intestinal protozoan infestations...
- Morphologic and molecular characterization of new Cyclospora species from Ethiopian monkeys: C. cercopitheci sp.n., C. colobi sp.n., and C. papionis sp.nM L Eberhard
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:651-8. 1999In recent years, human cyclosporiasis has emerged as an important infection, with large outbreaks in the United States and Canada...
- High hydrostatic pressure and UV light treatment of produce contaminated with Eimeria acervulina as a Cyclospora cayetanensis surrogateKalmia E Kniel
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, 531 South College Avenue, Townsend Hall, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
J Food Prot 70:2837-42. 2007..These results suggest that UV radiation and HPP may be used to reduce the risk for cyclosporiasis infection associated with produce...
- Epidemiologic studies of Cyclospora cayetanensis in GuatemalaC Bern
National Cancer Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:766-74. 1999In 1996 and 1997, cyclosporiasis outbreaks in North America were linked to eating Guatemalan raspberries...
- [Laboratory diagnosis of intestinal protozoan opportunistic infections in Goiânia, GO]R S Manzi
Instituto de Patologia Tropical e Saude Publica, Universidade Federal de Goias, 74643 970 Goiânia, Goias, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 33:597-8. 2000Cryptosporidiosis, isosporiasis, cyclosporiasis and microsporídiosis have become common in immunocompromised patients...
- Cyclosporiasis in an infantR N Iyer
Department of Microbiology, Global Hospitals, Hyderabad 500 004, Andhra Pradesh, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:144-5. 2006This report describes cyclosporiasis in a seven month old infant who presented with incessant crying and refusal of feeds...
- Cardiac arrest associated with febrile illness due to U.K. acquired Cyclospora cayetanensisChristopher Burrell
Department of Cardiology, Southwest Cardiothoracic Centre, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH, UK
J Infect 54:e13-5. 2007..Clinicians should be aware of a possible link between any febrile illness and potentially fatal ventricular dysrhythmia...
- [Prolonged diarrhea and weight loss after a biking trip from Tibet to Nepal: infection with Cyclospora]E Dekker
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1502-4. 2002..The infection can have a prolonged course. Diagnosis is made by parasitological examination of the stool (one should be cautious not to confuse with cryptosporidia) and treatment with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole is effective...
- Chronic diarrheaJames P Keating
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis Children's Hospital, St. Louis, MO, USA
Pediatr Rev 26:5-14. 2005
- [Chronic diarrhea and weight loss after a bike ride from Tibet to Nepal: Cyclospora infection]K van Hulten
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1911; author reply 1911. 2002
- [Diarrhea and weight loss in a male after a recent trip to Guatemala]Silvia García-Bujalance
Servicio de Microbiología y Parasitología Hospital La Paz Madrid España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 20:473-4. 2002
- Cyclospore cayetanensis in Anhui, ChinaKe-Xia Wang
School of Medicine, Anhui University of Science and Technology Huainan 232001, Anhui Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 8:1144-8. 2002..Feces examination of oocysts and serological examination of the specific antibody will be of much help in the diagnosis of Cyclospore cayetanensis infection...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis associated with diarrhea in a patient with idiopathic compensated hepatic cirrhosisSuleyman Yazar
Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Department of Parasitology, Kayseri Turkey
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 65:241-4. 2002..We report here a further case of Cyclospora cayetanensis infection in a patient with hepatic cirrhosis and we consider that this is the first case, which was reported in hepatic cirrhosis...
- [Cyclospora cayetanensis infection: updated review a propos of three cases of traveler's diarrhea]Juan C V Weitz
Departamento de Gastroenterologia, INTEGRAMEDICA, Santiago, Chile
Rev Chilena Infectol 26:549-54. 2009Human infection by Cyclospora cayetanensis, namely cyclosporiasis, can cause a wide range of symptoms in immunocompetent patients, from mild to severe diarrhea...
- Evaluation of lacto-phenol cotton blue (LPCB) for detection of Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora and Isospora in the wet mount preparation of stoolS C Parija
Department of Microbiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 605 006, India
Acta Trop 85:349-54. 2003..The LPCB wet mount is recommended for use in the laboratories where acid-fast staining is not performed routinely, such as in a peripheral laboratory or in a rural health centre in the developing countries...
- [Identification of species of Cyclospora isolates from patients by the PCR-based diagnostic methods]Niichiro Abe
Department of Microbiology, Osaka City Institute of Public Health and Environmental Sciences
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 77:47-52. 2003..cayetanensis. On the basis of the results obtained in the present study, it is supposed that the PCR-direct sequencing using the primer pair CYC1FE and CYC4RB is a useful tool for the distinction among Cyclospora species...
- Cyclospora cayetanensis: a review of an emerging parasitic coccidianJoan M Shields
Department of Environmental Analysis, School of Social Ecology, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Int J Parasitol 33:371-91. 2003..cayetanensis and three other species; within these a high degree of homology has been observed. This homology and the lack of sequence data from other Cyclospora species have hindered identification methods...
- [Cyclosporiasis]Motohiro Iseki
Department of Parasitology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University
Nippon Rinsho 61:613-7. 2003
- Detection of Cyclospora cayetanensis in travellers returning from the tropics and subtropics using microscopy and real-time PCRJaco J Verweij
Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Int J Med Microbiol 293:199-202. 2003..One additional sample was positive only by PCR, and could be confirmed by microscopic examination of several additional slides. C. cayetanensis was the most frequent parasitic cause of diarrhoea after Giardia duodenalis...
- Cyclosporiasis outbreak in Germany associated with the consumption of saladPeter C Döller
Paul Lechler Clinic for Tropical Diseases, Tubingen, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 8:992-4. 2002This outbreak is the first foodborne cyclosporiasis outbreak reported from central Europe. The illness was reported in 34 persons who attended luncheons at a German restaurant. The overall attack rate was 85% (34/40)...
- [Cyclosporosis: an emergent parasitosis. (II) Microbiological diagnosis through a new staining technique]Sonia Burstein Alva
Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima
Rev Gastroenterol Peru 25:336-40. 2005....
- Cyclosporiasis outbreak, IndonesiaMarjolijn C A Blans
Department of Medical Microbiology, Gelre Ziekenhuizen, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1453-5. 2005..Fifty percent of the investigated participants were positive for C. cayetanensis. To our knowledge, this outbreak is the first caused by C. cayetanensis among susceptible persons in a disease-endemic area...
- Safranin staining of Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts not requiring microwave heatingA C Maratim
Moi University Faculty of Health Sciences, Eldoret, Kenya
Br J Biomed Sci 59:114-5. 2002
- Role of water in the transmission of cyclosporiarsis in Sharkia Governorate, EgyptEman M N El-Karamany
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:953-62. 2005..The correlation between the density of water contamination and the prevalence of cyclosporiasis among the individuals of each area was significant...
- [Cyclosporiasis: four case reports with a review of the literature]Gohta Masuda
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:416-24. 2002..In summary, C. cayetanensis infection is rare in Japan and most patients infected with this pathogen tend to be overseas travelers and HIV-infected individuals at present...
- [Opportunistic protozoa--the problem in immunodeficient patients]Grazyna Spausta
Katedra i Zakład Ogólnej Biologii Lekarskiej Slaskiej Akademii Medycznej w Zabrzu
Pol Merkur Lekarski 18:339-41. 2005..The different clinical course is possible to diagnose only with specific laboratory methods. Actual settlements on the most often diagnosed in human opportunistic protozoan infections pathogenesis and diagnostics are presented...
- Outbreak of cyclosporiasis in British Columbia associated with imported Thai basilL M N Hoang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 133:23-7. 2005Sporadic outbreaks of cyclosporiasis, a common cause of protracted diarrhoea in underdeveloped countries, are often undetected and undiagnosed in industrial countries...
- Cyclospora infection in five immunocompetent patients in a Turkish university hospitalBanu Sancak
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Microbiology, Hacettepe University Medical School, Ankara 06100, Turkey
J Med Microbiol 55:459-62. 2006..All the patients were considered immunocompetent. Identification of C. cayetanensis was made by detection of the oocysts by using a modified acid-fast stain...
- Mixed infection with three intestinal coccidian parasites in an AIDS patientP Chakrabarti
Department of Microbiology, Parasitology Unit, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Assoc Physicians India 52:975. 2004
- Training in Tropical and Emerging Global DiseasesDANIEL COLLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research systems available for study include malaria, cryptosporidiosis, cyclosporiasis, American and African trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, toxoplasmosis, Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ich) of ..
- HOST FACTORS MEDIATE INVASION BY CAMPYLOBACTER JEJUNILINDA MANSFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2002..jejuni invasion is facilitated due to a direct effect of some secreted/excreted product of the worms, and 4) Determine what host cell genes are differentially expressed during C. jejuni invasion. ..
- Murine models to test parasite products as cures for Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseLINDA MANSFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dr. Mansfield has documented success mentoring graduate students and seeks to expand her mentoring of D.V.M.s in mouse pathobiology. ..