Genomes and Genes
Summary: An infection of the SMALL INTESTINE caused by the flagellated protozoan GIARDIA LAMBLIA. It is spread via contaminated food and water and by direct person-to-person contact.
Publications352 found, 100 shown here
- Zoonotic potential and molecular epidemiology of Giardia species and giardiasisYaoyu Feng
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, School of Resource and Environmental Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
Clin Microbiol Rev 24:110-40. 2011..have been used recently in assessing the taxonomy, zoonotic potential, and transmission of Giardia species and giardiasis in humans and animals...
- Giardia and Cryptosporidium join the 'Neglected Diseases Initiative'L Savioli
Coordinator, Parasitic Diseases and Vector Control PVC, Communicable Diseases Control, Prevention and Eradication CPE, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Trends Parasitol 22:203-8. 2006..Our current state of knowledge of Giardia and Cryptosporidium is summarized here, and some important questions are raised that need to be addressed if control strategies are to be effective...
- Draft genome sequencing of giardia intestinalis assemblage B isolate GS: is human giardiasis caused by two different species?Oscar Franzén
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000560. 2009..01% in WB). The genomic differences between WB and GS may explain some of the observed biological and clinical differences between the two isolates, and it suggests that assemblage A and B Giardia can be two different species...
- Molecular characterisation of species and genotypes of Cryptosporidium and Giardia and assessment of zoonotic transmissionLihua Xiao
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Int J Parasitol 38:1239-55. 2008..Genotyping and subtyping data suggest that zoonotic transmission is not as prevalent in the epidemiology of giardiasis. Molecular characterisation of Cryptosporidium and Giardia is a relatively recent application that is evolving ..
- Triosephosphate isomerase gene characterization and potential zoonotic transmission of Giardia duodenalisIrshad M Sulaiman
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3717, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1444-52. 2003..These data confirm that G. duodenalis from certain animals can potentially infect humans and should be useful in the detection, differentiation, and taxonomy of Giardia spp...
- The identification of a new Giardia duodenalis assemblage in marine vertebrates and a preliminary analysis of G. duodenalis population biology in marine systemsErica Lasek-Nesselquist
Josephine Bay Paul Center for Comparative Evolution and Molecular Biology, MBL, 7 MBL St, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
Int J Parasitol 40:1063-74. 2010..duodenalis as these assemblages are from each other. The discovery of a previously uncharacterised lineage of G. duodenalis suggests that this parasite has more genetic diversity and perhaps a larger host range than previously believed...
- Giardiasis among different tribes of Orang Asli in Malaysia: highlighting the presence of other family members infected with Giardia intestinalis as a main risk factorTengku Shahrul Anuar
Department of Parasitology and Medical Entomology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Int J Parasitol 42:871-80. 2012..The main objective was to determine the prevalence of and risk factors for giardiasis. Stool samples were collected from 500 individuals aged between 2 and 74 years (males=219, females=281)...
- Behind the smile: cell biology and disease mechanisms of Giardia speciesJohan Ankarklev
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Biomedical Center, Box 596, Uppsala University, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:413-22. 2010..intestinalis is used as a model eukaryotic system for studying many basic cellular processes. In this Review we discuss recent discoveries in the molecular cell biology and pathogenesis of G. intestinalis...
- Giardiasis and poor vitamin A status among aboriginal school children in rural MalaysiaHesham M Al-Mekhlafi
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:523-7. 2010..The results showed that 66 (27.4%) children had low serum retinol levels (< 0.70 micromol/L). Giardiasis and severe ascariasis were significantly associated with low serum retinol levels (P = 0.004 and P = 0...
- Genetic heterogeneity at the beta-giardin locus among human and animal isolates of Giardiaduodenalis and identification of potentially zoonotic subgenotypesMarco Lalle
Division of Gastroenteric and Tissue Parasitic Diseases, Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Parasitol 35:207-13. 2005Human giardiasis, caused by the intestinal flagellate Giardia duodenalis, is considered a zoonotic infection, although the role of animals in the transmission to humans is still unclear...
- Molecular epidemiology of cross-species Giardia duodenalis transmission in western UgandaAmanda R Johnston
Center for Zoonoses and Infectious Disease Research and Department of Pathobiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e683. 2010..Our goal was to infer the cross-species transmission potential of G. duodenalis using molecular methods and to investigate clinical consequences of infection...
- Molecular epidemiology of giardiasisSimone M Caccio
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, Rome, Italy
Mol Biochem Parasitol 160:75-80. 2008..The mechanisms that may be responsible for these findings, including allelic sequence heterozygosity and meiotic recombination, are discussed...
- Variation in Giardia: towards a taxonomic revision of the genusPaul T Monis
Australian Water Quality Centre, South Australian Water Corporation, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Trends Parasitol 25:93-100. 2009....
- Identification of zoonotic genotypes of Giardia duodenalisHein Sprong
Laboratory for Zoonoses and Environmental Microbiology, National Institute for Public Health and Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e558. 2009Giardia duodenalis, originally regarded as a commensal organism, is the etiologic agent of giardiasis, a gastrointestinal disease of humans and animals. Giardiasis causes major public and veterinary health concerns worldwide...
- Occurrence and genotype characterization of Giardia duodenalis in goat kids from the Canary Islands, SpainAntonio Ruiz
Parasitology Unit, Department of Animal Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Trasmontana s n, 35413 Arucas, Spain
Vet Parasitol 154:137-41. 2008....
- Prevalence and molecular characterisation of Cryptosporidium and Giardia species in pre-weaned sheep in AustraliaRongchang Yang
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 161:19-24. 2009..The findings of the present study indicate that pre-weaned lambs are not an important source of zoonotic Giardia genotypes in Australia but may be an important source of zoonotic Cryptosporidium...
- Prevalence and genotyping of Giardia duodenalis from beef calves in Alberta, CanadaA J Appelbee
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Medical Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Vet Parasitol 112:289-94. 2003..This suggests that the Giardia carried by beef cattle may be a minimal zoonotic threat...
- Immunophenotyping in post-giardiasis functional gastrointestinal disease and chronic fatigue syndromeKurt Hanevik
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen N 5021, Norway
BMC Infect Dis 12:258. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate a wide selection of markers of immune dysfunction in these two co-occurring post-infectious syndromes...
- Genetic characterizations of Cryptosporidium spp. and Giardia duodenalis in humans in Henan, ChinaRongjun Wang
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou 450002, China
Exp Parasitol 127:42-5. 2011..To better understand the transmission of human cryptosporidiosis and giardiasis in Henan, China, 10 Cryptosporidium-positive specimens and 18 Giardia-positive specimens were characterized at ..
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between Giardia lamblia and endemic pediatric diarrhea in developing countriesKhitam Muhsen
Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Infect Dis 55:S271-93. 2012..001), positively linking Giardia with that syndrome. The well-powered Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS) is prospectively addressing the association between G. lamblia infection and diarrhea in children in developing countries...
- Host immunity and pathogen strain contribute to intestinal disaccharidase impairment following gut infectionShahram Solaymani-Mohammadi
Department of Biology, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
J Immunol 187:3769-75. 2011..Using a mouse model of giardiasis, we examined the role of host immunity and pathogen virulence in mediating disaccharidase deficiency ..
- Multilocus genotyping of Giardia duodenalis reveals striking differences between assemblages A and BS M Cacció
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Parasitol 38:1523-31. 2008..These findings raise concerns about the interpretation of genotyping data based on single markers, and indicate the need to understand the mechanisms that are responsible for the differences between G. duodenalis assemblages A and B...
- Presence of human Giardia in domestic, farm and wild animals, and environmental samples suggests a zoonotic potential for giardiasisHarry van Keulen
Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences, Cleveland State University, 2399 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115, USA
Vet Parasitol 108:97-107. 2002..lamblia. Deer mice and one dog appeared to be parasitized by genotypes of Giardia with close affinity to G. microti. This species, therefore, also consists of a genotype complex...
- Mucosal defences against GiardiaLars Eckmann
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Parasite Immunol 25:259-70. 2003Giardia lamblia (syn. G. duodenalis or G. intestinalis), the causative agent of giardiasis, is one of the most common causes worldwide of intestinal infections in humans...
- Correlation between genotype of Giardia duodenalis and diarrhoeaC Read
Int J Parasitol 32:229-31. 2002
- Sequence analysis of the beta-giardin gene and development of a polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism assay to genotype Giardia duodenalis cysts from human faecal samplesSimone M Caccio
Laboratory of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Parasitol 32:1023-30. 2002..Finally, a simple PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism method was developed for the rapid discrimination of Assemblages and applied for the direct genetic analysis of cysts present in human faecal samples...
- Nomenclature and genetic groupings of Giardia infecting mammalsR C Thompson
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for the Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections, Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia
Parasitol Today 16:210-3. 2000..b>Giardiasis is considered to be a re-emerging infection because of its association with outbreaks of diarrhoea in child-care ..
- Multilocus genotyping of human Giardia isolates suggests limited zoonotic transmission and association between assemblage B and flatulence in childrenMarianne Lebbad
Department of Diagnostics and Vaccinology, Swedish Institute for Communicable Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1262. 2011..b>Giardiasis has been classified as a possible zoonotic disease but the role of animals in human disease transmission still ..
- T-cell-dependent control of acute Giardia lamblia infections in miceS M Singer
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0425, USA
Infect Immun 68:170-5. 2000..lamblia. We conclude that a T-cell-dependent mechanism is essential for controlling acute Giardia infections and that this mechanism is independent of antibody and B cells...
- Effects of stunting, diarrhoeal disease, and parasitic infection during infancy on cognition in late childhood: a follow-up studyDouglas S Berkman
Department of Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 359:564-71. 2002..We assessed the effect of stunting, diarrhoeal disease, and parasitic infections during infancy on cognitive function in late childhood...
- Host parasite interactions and pathophysiology in Giardia infectionsJames A Cotton
Dept of Biological Sciences, Inflammation Research Network, University of Calgary, Calgary AB, Canada T2N 1N4
Int J Parasitol 41:925-33. 2011..The host-parasite interaction and pathophysiological processes of giardiasis remain incompletely understood...
- Irritable bowel syndrome and chronic fatigue 3 years after acute giardiasis: historic cohort studyKnut Arne Wensaas
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Gut 61:214-9. 2012..Giardia lamblia is a common cause of gastroenteritis worldwide, but there is limited knowledge about the long-term complications...
- Giardiasis in dogs and cats: update on epidemiology and public health significanceLora R Ballweber
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Trends Parasitol 26:180-9. 2010..Because these genotypes are found primarily in humans, and no comprehensive studies to address zoonotic transmission of G. duodenalis are yet available, the potential role of dogs and cats cannot be conclusively excluded...
- Case-control study of diarrheal disease etiology in a remote rural area in Western ThailandLadaporn Bodhidatta
Department of Enteric Diseases, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1106-9. 2010..Most pre-school children were infested with enteric pathogens; laboratory-based studies are important to understand the epidemiology of enteric pathogens in remote areas among marginal populations...
- Giardiasis--why do the symptoms sometimes never stop?Lucy J Robertson
Parasitology Laboratory, Institute of Food Safety and Infection Biology, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
Trends Parasitol 26:75-82. 2010Although giardiasis is considered by most medical practitioners to be an easily treated infection, prolonged symptoms due to, or following, Giardia duodenalis infection can have a significant impact on quality of life...
- Giardia lamblia disrupts tight junctional ZO-1 and increases permeability in non-transformed human small intestinal epithelial monolayers: effects of epidermal growth factorA G Buret
Department of Biological Sciences, Mucosal Inflammation Research Group, The University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parasitology 125:11-9. 2002In order to improve our understanding of the host cell-parasite interactions in giardiasis, this study assessed the effects of Giardia lamblia on epithelial permeability and tight junctional ZO-1, determined whether epidermal growth ..
- Genotype characterisation of Giardia duodenalis isolates from domestic and farm animals by SSU-rRNA gene sequencingFederica Berrilli
Cattedra di Parassitologia, Dipartimento di Sanita Pubblica e Biologia Cellulare, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 122:193-9. 2004..The present study represents the first contribute to the knowledge of G. duodenalis genotypes in domestic and farm animals from Italy...
- Impact of anti-Giardia and anthelminthic treatment on infant growth and intestinal permeability in rural Bangladesh: a randomised double-blind controlled studyRie Goto
Department of Biological Anthropology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:520-9. 2009....
- Giardia lamblia and other intestinal parasitic infections and their relationships with nutritional status in children in Brazilian AmazonFilipe Anibal Carvalho-Costa
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias Medicina Tropical, IOC FIOCRUZ, RJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:147-53. 2007..Also, the multivariate model showed that the only variable associated with hemoglobin levels was age. Intestinal parasitism control should increase children's possibilities of full development in the studied area...
- A randomized, controlled, open-label trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of chloroquine in the treatment of giardiasis in childrenR Canete
Cuban Institute of Gastroenterology, Havana City, Cuba
West Indian Med J 59:607-11. 2010..Giardia duodenalis is among the commonest protozoan parasites in the intestinal tract of humans and may cause significant morbidity worldwide. Although there are several antigiardial agents, treatment failures have been commonly reported...
- The impact of the Catholic Jubilee in 2000 on infectious diseases. A case-control study of giardiasis, Rome, Italy 2000-2001A Faustini
Department of Epidemiology, Local Health Agency RM E, Rome, Italy
Epidemiol Infect 134:649-58. 2006..We conducted a case-control study to analyse the risk factors of giardiasis among residents...
- Mast cell-mediated changes in smooth muscle contractility during mouse giardiasisErqiu Li
Department of Biology, Reiss Building, Room 406, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Infect Immun 75:4514-8. 2007..These contractions, coupled with nitric oxide-mediated muscle relaxation, promote intestinal transit and parasite elimination...
- The zoonotic transmission of Giardia and CryptosporidiumPaul R Hunter
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
Int J Parasitol 35:1181-90. 2005..However, for both parasites there is a need for molecular epidemiological studies to be undertaken in well-defined foci of transmission in order to fully determine the frequency and importance of zoonotic transmission...
- Giardia duodenalis genotypes and Cryptosporidium species in humans and domestic animals in Côte d'Ivoire: occurrence and evidence for environmental contaminationFederica Berrilli
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133, Rome, Italy
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 106:191-5. 2012..parvum. The results provide further evidence about the role of free-ranging domestic animals living closely with humans in the environmental dissemination and potential transmission of these anthropozoonotic pathogens to humans...
- Molecular epidemiology of Giardia and Cryptosporidium infections in dairy calves originating from three sources in Western AustraliaK A Becher
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre, Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections and Western Australian Biomedical Research Institute, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 123:1-9. 2004..Molecular characterization of isolates of Giardia and C. parvum recovered from calves demonstrated that only the occurrence Cryptosporidium represents a public health risk in terms of the potential for zoonotic transmission...
- Sheep may not be an important zoonotic reservoir for Cryptosporidium and Giardia parasitesUna M Ryan
Division of Health Sciences, School of Veterinary and Biomedical Science, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia, Australia 6150
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4992-7. 2005..These results suggest that the public health risk of sheep-derived Cryptosporidium and Giardia spp. in catchment areas and effluent may be overestimated and warrant further investigation...
- Giardiasis as a predictor of childhood malnutrition in Orang Asli children in MalaysiaM S Hesham Al-Mekhlafi
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:686-91. 2005A cross-sectional study to examine the association of giardiasis with protein-energy malnutrition, vitamin A deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia was conducted among Orang Asli children in Selangor, Malaysia...
- Intestinal infection with Giardia spp. reduces epithelial barrier function in a myosin light chain kinase-dependent fashionKevin G E Scott
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 123:1179-90. 2002b>Giardiasis causes malabsorptive diarrhea, and symptoms can be present in the absence of any significant morphologic injury to the intestinal mucosa...
- Occurrence of bovine giardiasis and endemic genetic characterization of Giardia duodenalis isolates in Heilongjiang Province, in the Northeast of ChinaAiqin Liu
Department of Parasitology, Harbin Medical University, 194 XueFu Road, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150081, China
Parasitol Res 111:655-61. 2012To determine the prevalence of bovine giardiasis in Heilongjiang Province in China and to molecularly characterize Giardia duodenalis, feces were collected from 814 dairy and beef cattle ranging in age from 6 days to 9 years...
- Prevalence and molecular characterization of Cryptosporidium and Giardia species and genotypes in sheep in MarylandMonica Santin
Environmental Microbial Safety Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Building 173, BARC East, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Parasitol 146:17-24. 2007..duodenalis Assemblage A suggests a low prevalence of these zoonoses. However, the high prevalence of the zoonotic cervine genotype indicates that sheep should be considered a potential environmental source of this human pathogen...
- Prevalence and associated risk factors for Giardia lamblia infection among children hospitalized for diarrhea in Goiânia, Goiás State, BrazilMaria Das Gracas Cabral Pereira
Department of Veterinary Medicine Extension, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:139-45. 2007..9%). A variety of factors were found to be associated with giardiasis in these population: age of children (OR, 1.18; 90% CI, 1.0 - 1.36; p = 0...
- Development of functional gastrointestinal disorders after Giardia lamblia infectionKurt Hanevik
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
BMC Gastroenterol 9:27. 2009..This study aims to characterize persistent abdominal symptoms elicited by Giardia infection according to Rome II criteria and symptoms scores...
- Giardiasis in patients with dyspeptic symptomsJaved Yakoob
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 11:6667-70. 2005To investigate the prevalence of giardiasis in patients with dyspeptic symptoms.
- Multilocus genotyping of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in non-outbreak related cases of diarrhoea in human patients in BelgiumT Geurden
Laboratory of Veterinary Parasitology, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Parasitology 136:1161-8. 2009..Furthermore, using a novel species-specific PCR based on the TPI gene, mixed infections with both assemblage A and B were detected in a large number (32.4%) of human patients, which might have important epidemiological implications...
- Characterisation of alpha-1 giardin: an immunodominant Giardia lamblia annexin with glycosaminoglycan-binding activityMalin E L Weiland
Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Parasitol 33:1341-51. 2003..The Triage((R)) parasite panel, used to detect copro-antigens in stool from giardiasis patients, reacts with an epitope between amino acids 160 and 200 in alpha-1 giardin...
- Molecular analysis of household transmission of Giardia lamblia in a region of high endemicity in PeruMargarethe A Cooper
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
J Infect Dis 202:1713-21. 2010..Genotypes A1, A2, and B (Nash groups 1, 2, and 3, respectively) are found in humans, whereas genotypes C and D are typically found in dogs. However, genotypes A and B have occasionally been identified in dogs...
- Central importance of immunoglobulin A in host defense against Giardia sppT Dianne Langford
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0623, USA
Infect Immun 70:11-8. 2002..Moreover, B-cell-dependent but IgA-independent and B-cell-independent antigiardial host defenses exist but are less important for controlling infection...
- Genotyping Giardia duodenalis isolates from dogs: lessons from a multilocus sequence typing studyRelja Beck
Department for Bacteriology and Parasitology, Croatian Veterinary Institute, Zagreb, Croatia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 12:206-13. 2012b>Giardiasis is a common infection of dogs, and the occurrence of both zoonotic and host-adapted assemblages of Giardia duodenalis is well documented in this host. In the current study, G...
- Biology of Giardia lambliaR D Adam
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, 1501N Campbell, Tucson, AZ 85724 5049, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:447-75. 2001..The Giardia genome project promises to greatly increase our understanding of this interesting and enigmatic organism...
- The role of normal flora in Giardia lamblia infections in miceS M Singer
Dept of Biology, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
J Infect Dis 181:1510-2. 2000..These results suggest the possible use of probiotic therapy for prevention of G. lamblia infections and may help explain some of the variability of outcomes seen in G. lamblia infections in humans...
- Waterborne protozoan pathogensM M Marshall
Department of Veterinary Science, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 10:67-85. 1997..The review points to the need for clinical laboratories, physicians, and public health personnel to cooperatively plan and assess the challenge of meeting this potential public health threat...
- Mixed Giardia duodenalis assemblage A and E infections in calvesT Geurden
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Int J Parasitol 38:259-64. 2008..duodenalis assemblage E, are frequently infected with the zoonotic assemblage A, either as a mixed or mono-infection, suggesting that calves might be underestimated as a potential zoonotic reservoir for human infections...
- Giardia and Cryptosporidium in mammalian wildlife--current status and future needsAmber J Appelbee
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for the Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections, School of Veterinary and Biomedical Science, Murdoch University, Murdoch 6150, Australia
Trends Parasitol 21:370-6. 2005..The combination of prevalence studies with modern molecular-genotyping techniques is providing valuable insights into the host specificity and possible transmission routes of these two important parasites...
- Prevalence and intensity of intestinal parasitic infections in relation to nutritional status in Mexican schoolchildrenL Quihui-Cota
Division of Human Nutrition, Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo A C Carretera a La Victoria, KM 0 6 A P 1735, C P 83000, Hermosillo Sonora, Mexico
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:653-9. 2004..trichiura infection (eggs per gram) and nutritional status. Intestinal parasitic infections may be regarded as main risk factors associated with poor nutritional status in Mexican schoolchildren...
- Comparative evaluation of Giardia duodenalis sequence dataC M Wielinga
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections, School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150, Australia
Parasitology 134:1795-821. 2007..The closer, more recent, phylogenetic relationships amongst the assemblages appear to be resolved; however, more sequence data from the current loci, and possibly new loci, will be required to establish the remaining relationships...
- Recent insights into the mucosal reactions associated with Giardia lamblia infectionsN Muller
Institute of Parasitology, Länggass Str 122, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Int J Parasitol 35:1339-47. 2005..The most important clinical signs of giardiasis are diarrhoea and malabsorption...
- Molecular epidemiology of Giardia duodenalis in an endangered carnivore--the African painted dogA Ash
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections and State Agricultural Biotechnology Centre, School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, South Street, Western Australia 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 174:206-12. 2010..This study is the first to observe G. duodenalis in the African painted dog and to identify a possible emerging disease in this wild carnivore...
- Impact of Giardia lamblia on growth, serum levels of zinc, copper, and iron in Egyptian childrenOmaima Abou-Shady
Department of Parasitology, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
Biol Trace Elem Res 140:1-6. 2011..the serological levels of zinc, copper and iron in Giardia lamblia-infected children and to study the effect of giardiasis on their weight compared to controls...
- Prevalence and molecular characterization of Giardia duodenalis from sheep in central ItalyAnnunziata Giangaspero
Department of Production Science, Engineering, Mechanics and Economy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Parasitol Res 96:32-7. 2005..This work suggests for the first time in Italy that sheep carry a Giardia genotype, which can be a potential public health hazard...
- Comparison of two target genes for detection and genotyping of Giardia lamblia in human feces by PCR and PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphismIsabelle Bertrand
LCPME UMR 7564 CNRS UHP, Equipe Microbiologie et Physique, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5 rue Albert Lebrun, BP 80 403, 54001 Nancy Cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 43:5940-4. 2005..Among 26 fecal samples from patients with sporadic giardiasis diagnosed by hospital laboratories, the tpi gene was amplified from 25 (96%) with our PCR assay, whereas only 21 ..
- Prevalence of Giardia duodenalis genotypes in pre-weaned dairy calvesJames M Trout
Environmental Microbial Safety Laboratory, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Building 173, BARC East, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Parasitol 124:179-86. 2004..Calves should be considered as a potential source of human infectious cysts in the environment...
- Predictors and nutritional consequences of intestinal parasitic infections in rural Ecuadorian childrenMamie Eleanor Sackey
Community and International Nutrition and Health Section, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia 24061 0430, USA
J Trop Pediatr 49:17-23. 2003..They also suggest that domestic animals may be an important reservoir for Giardia and other intestinal protozoal infections observed in the Ecuadorian children studied...
- Giardia intestinalis in Thailand: identification of genotypesAnchalee Tungtrongchitr
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
J Health Popul Nutr 28:42-52. 2010..All subjects with AI and 50% of the subjects with BIII sub-assemblage cysts were symptomatic; 80% of symptomatic Bangkok residents were adults/elderly while 85% of the rural cases were children...
- Lack of an adverse effect of Giardia intestinalis infection on the health of Peruvian childrenMaria Graciela Hollm-Delgado
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 168:647-55. 2008..89, 1.12) or height for age (relative risk = 0.92, 95% confidence interval: 0.82, 1.04). Giardiasis did not affect growth at 1 or 2 months following the first infection at any age interval...
- Seroepidemiology of giardiasis in MexicoRoberto Cedillo-Rivera
Unidad de Investigación Médica Yucatán, Unidad Médica de Alta Especialidad del Centro Médico Nacional Ignacio García Téllez, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:6-10. 2009..Giardia duodenalis seropositivity was associated with male sex (odds ratio = 1.40, 95% CI = 1.22-1.61). No association was found between seropositivity and socioeconomic variables or regional development status...
- Multi-locus analysis of Giardia duodenalis intra-Assemblage B substitution patterns in cloned culture isolates suggests sub-Assemblage B analyses will require multi-locus genotyping with conserved and variable genesCaroline Wielinga
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Int J Parasitol 41:495-503. 2011....
- Prevalence and clinical correlations of genetic subtypes of Giardia lamblia in an urban settingA S Breathnach
Centre for Infection, Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, St George s University of London, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 138:1459-67. 2010The clinical significance of different genetic subtypes or assemblages of Giardia lamblia is uncertain. Cases of giardiasis in south-west London between 1999 and 2005 were studied, comparing molecular-typing results with clinical and ..
- A longitudinal study of Giardia lamblia infection in north-east Brazilian childrenR D Newman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
Trop Med Int Health 6:624-34. 2001..To evaluate the epidemiology of Giardia lamblia infection, investigate factors which might be associated with clinical manifestations and recurrence, and examine the role of copathogens in disease course...
- Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in the intestinal contents of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) and bearded seals (Erignathus barbatus) in Nunavik, Quebec, CanadaBrent R Dixon
Microbiology Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Canada, Banting Research Centre 2204E, 251 Sir Frederick Banting Driveway, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Parasitol 94:1161-3. 2008..The high prevalence of G. duodenalis in ringed seals, and the presence of Assemblage B in these animals, highlights the potential for zoonotic transmission to the Inuit people, who consume dried seal intestines and uncooked seal meat...
- Subjective health complaints and quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome following Giardia lamblia infection: a case control studyMette H Morken
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:308-13. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine the comorbidity and quality of life of patients with IBS following infection with Giardia lamblia...
- Regulation of antigenic variation in Giardia lambliaCesar G Prucca
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Cordoba, CP X5004ASK Cordoba, Argentina
Annu Rev Microbiol 65:611-30. 2011....
- Allelic sequence heterozygosity in single Giardia parasitesJohan Ankarklev
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, BMC, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 12:65. 2012..Thus, two important questions have arisen; i) does ASH occur at the single cell level, and/or ii) do multiple sub-genotype infections commonly occur in patients infected with assemblage B, G. intestinalis isolates?..
- The zoonotic potential of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in Norwegian sheep: a longitudinal investigation of 6 flocks of lambsL J Robertson
Parasitology Laboratory, Department of Food Safety and Infection Biology, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Postbox 8146 Dep, 0033 Oslo, Norway
Vet Parasitol 171:140-5. 2010..xiaoi (non-zoonotic). These results suggest that sheep in Norway are unlikely to be an important reservoir of zoonotic Giardia in Norway, but might have some public health significance with respect to Cryptosporidium...
- Infectivity of Giardia duodenalis Assemblages A and E for the gerbil and axenisation of duodenal trophozoitesEly Bénéré
Laboratory of Microbiology, Parasitology and Hygiene LMPH, Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences, University of Antwerp, B 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Parasitol Int 59:634-7. 2010..2mg/ml) supported cloning of Assemblage A, while l-glutathione (7.8 mg/ml) was required for Assemblage E. This is a first description of in vitro axenisation of Assemblage E trophozoites from cattle...
- Impact of breast-feeding on Giardia lamblia infections in Bilbeis, EgyptM A Mahmud
University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:257-60. 2001..9%, P < 0.05) compared with infants who were not exclusively breast-fed. Breast-feeding should be considered as an effective means to prevent Giardia infections and should be encouraged in regions where G. lambia is highly endemic...
- Intestinal protozoan infections in relation to nutritional status and gastrointestinal morbidity in Colombian school childrenCaroline E Boeke
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Trop Pediatr 56:299-306. 2010..In conclusion, G. duodenalis and E. coli infections were associated with indicators of poor nutritional status in this population, while B. hominis was related to apparently decreased morbidity...
- Giardia duodenalis: the double-edged sword of immune responses in giardiasisShahram Solaymani-Mohammadi
Department of Biology and Center for Infectious Disease, Reiss Science Building, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Exp Parasitol 126:292-7. 2010b>Giardiasis is one of the most common intestinal protozoan infections worldwide. The etiological agent, Giardia duodenalis (syn...
- High prevalences of infection with Giardia intestinalis genotype B among children in urban and rural areas of ArgentinaN Molina
Catedra de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Universidad Nacionalde La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 105:299-309. 2011..This is the first published report on the Giardia genotypes circulating in the provinces of Mendoza and Chaco. The results indicate the importance of asymptomatic children in the transmission of Giardia among the young...
- Effect of Giardia infection on nutritional status in primary schoolchildren, in northwest IranG H Ettehad
Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, Ardabil, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 13:229-34. 2010..Based on the results found in this study, we conclude that Giardia infection may affect on some of anthropometric factors as well as the calorie and other nutrients intake in some of age groups...
- Intestinal helminths and protozoa in children in pre-schools in Kafue district, ZambiaJoyce Siwila
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P O Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:122-8. 2010..Future studies should explore local factors associated with transmission of these infections, and consequently provide the necessary health education to parents and teachers...
- Giardiasis in the post genomic era: treatment, drug resistance and novel therapeutic perspectivesMarco Lalle
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie ed Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299 00161 Rome, Italy
Infect Disord Drug Targets 10:283-94. 2010..G. duodenalis is the causative agent of giardiasis, the most common non-bacterial and non-viral diarrheal diseases affecting humans worldwide...
- Association of Helicobacter pylori infection and giardiasis: results from a study of surrogate markers for fecal exposure among childrenEdson Duarte Moreira
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Brazilian Ministry of Health, Rua Waldemar Falcao 121 Salvador, Bahia, CEP 40 295 001, Brazil
World J Gastroenterol 11:2759-63. 2005..To investigate whether Helicobacter pylori (H pylori) infection is associated with hepatitis A virus (HAV) infection, presence of enteroparasites, and other surrogates of fecal exposure...
- Prevalence of and risk factors for feline Tritrichomonas foetus and giardia infectionJody L Gookin
Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2707-10. 2004..Evidence did not exist for the ongoing transmission of T. foetus by water, food, or contact with other species...
- Irritable bowel syndrome: a review on the role of intestinal protozoa and the importance of their detection and diagnosisD Stark
St Vincent s Hospital, Department of Microbiology, Victoria St, Darlinghurst, NSW2010, Sydney, Australia
Int J Parasitol 37:11-20. 2007..It is essential that all patients with IBS undergo routine parasitological investigations in order to rule out the presence of protozoan parasites as the causative agents of the clinical signs...
- Feline diarrhoea associated with Tritrichomonas cf. foetus and Giardia co-infection in an Australian catteryS A Bissett
Department of Clinical Sciences, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Aust Vet J 86:440-3. 2008..Although the failure to thrive and diarrhoea resolved following treatment for giardiasis, further diagnostic tests performed on faecal specimens from the kitten and 15 other Ocicats from the same ..
- Protection against diarrhea associated with Giardia intestinalis Is lost with multi-nutrient supplementation: a study in Tanzanian childrenJacobien Veenemans
Cell Biology and Immunology Group, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1158. 2011..Impaired linear growth and cognition have been associated with giardiasis, presumably mediated by malabsorption of nutrients...
- Identification of Tritrichomonas foetus and Giardia spp. infection in pedigree show cats in New ZealandD D Kingsbury
Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand
N Z Vet J 58:6-10. 2010..To establish the presence of Tritrichomonas foetus, to investigate the prevalence of co-infection with Giardia spp., and determine risk factors for T. foetus infection in pedigree show cats in New Zealand...
- Does co-infection with Giardia lamblia modulate the clinical characteristics of enteric infections in young children?Natalya Bilenko
Epidemiology and Health Services Evaluation Department, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Eur J Epidemiol 19:877-83. 2004..In this study we examined the hypothesis that G. lamblia may modulate the effect of other enteric pathogens during concurrent infection...
- Identification of immunoreactive proteins during acute human giardiasisJ E Daniel Palm
Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 187:1849-59. 2003..Serum samples from 93 patients with acute giardiasis who were infected during a waterborne outbreak in a nonendemic country were screened on 1-dimensional Western ..
- Effect of Lactobacillus casei as a probiotic on modulation of giardiasisGeeta Shukla
Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical Block, Panjab University, Chandigarh, 160014, India
Dig Dis Sci 53:2671-9. 2008The present study was designed with the aim to study the modulation of giardiasis with natural intervention, i.e., Lactobacillus casei--a probiotic, in a murine model...
- Giardia lamblia carriage in Israeli Bedouin infants: risk factors and consequencesD Fraser
S Daniel Abraham International Center for Health and Nutrition, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 30:419-24. 2000b>Giardiasis is a common protozoan infection, with varying clinical manifestations. We investigated the associations between Giardia lamblia carriage and environmental, family, illness, and growth characteristics...
- Giardia drug targets: Structure, function and inhibitorsOsnat Herzberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..of its devastating consequences in impoverished countries and meager efforts expended to identify new therapies, giardiasis has been designated a World Health Organization neglected disease...
- Novel Therapeutics for Class B ProtozoaSharon L Reed; Fiscal Year: 2012..Relevance. These studies will focus on new drug targets for amoebiasis and giardiasis, important causes of food- and waterborne outbreaks, and may lead to the development of a new class of ..
- Molecular architecture, function and biogenesis of the ventral disc in Giardia inScott C Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Giardiasis is the most common cause of acute protozoan intestinal infection worldwide, and chronic giardiasis is a major contributor to high morbidity in developing countries...
- Environmental Health Programs through the Environmental Health Specialists NetworGuthrie S Birkhead; Fiscal Year: 2013..issues including an Interdepartmental Rabies Committee, and disease issues such as Eastern Equine Encephalitis, Giardiasis, West Nile virus, anthrax, and E. coli...
- 2010 Biology of Host-Parasite Interactions Gordon Research ConferenceL David Sibley; Fiscal Year: 2010..diseases including malaria, toxoplasmosis, African and American trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, trichomoniasis, giardiasis and entamoebiasis...
- Phase 2 Study of Esophageal String Test in Diagnosing Eosinophilic EsophagitisGlenn T Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2013..a novel application of an existing technology, the Enterotest" (a string-based test used to detect intestinal Giardiasis), to measure esophageal inflammation (herein termed the Esophageal String Test - EST)...
- Sphingolipid and Mechanism of Cyst Formation by GiardiaSiddhartha Das; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Giardiasis, which is also a zoonotic disease, is transmitted via infective cysts through contaminated water...
- Compound library screening using Giardia labmblia high throughput viability assayOsnat Herzberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..Giardia has been classified by the CDC as a category B bioterrorism organism. The favored anti giardiasis drugs in the US are metronidazole or tinidazole, compounds that have undesirable side effects...
- Investigation of Giardiasis Using Click Chemistry TechniquesKEITH ALLEN KORTHALS; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Giardiasis is an important cause of waterborne illness resulting from a one-celled microscopic parasite, Giardia intestinalis (also known as Giardia lamblia)...
- Colon cancer chemoprevention by the anti-inflammatory drug, QuinacrineLorne J Hofseth; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypothesis that an established small molecule anti- malarial drug, previously FDA approved for the treatment of giardiasis, malaria, and tape-worm infection, called Quinacrine, can be used to suppress colitis and prevent colon cancer ..
- High-throughput screening for new inhibitors of Giardia lambliaGiovanni Widmer; Fiscal Year: 2010Metronidazole is commonly used for the treatment of giardiasis, an intestinal infection caused by the protozoan parasite Giardia lamblia...
- Envirnomental Health Specialist NetworkRICHARD NORMAN DANILA; Fiscal Year: 2010..water ?rograms and activities in Minnesota for small, non-Safe Drinking Water Act Sources, and detailed studies to ivaluate the potential relationship of human cryptosporidiosis and giardiasis cases to these systems.
- GIARDIA ENCYSTMENT: CONTROL OF GA1NAC SYNTHESISEdward Jarroll; Fiscal Year: 2000..that can target this pathway thus acting to prevent the formation of cysts and thus aiding in the control of giardiasis. To date GPI, UDP-GlcNAcPP and CWS have been purified (or partially purified) and characterized, and GPI and UDP-..
- GIARDIASIS & CRPTOSPORIDIOSIS IN CHILDRENRichard Deckelbaum; Fiscal Year: 1993..clinical, and laboratory research activities in enteric parasitic disease, and will specifically focus on giardiasis and cryptosporidiosis...
- MicroRNAs in Giardia PathogenesisSteven M Singer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mechanisms of pathogenesis in giardiasis are poorly understood, hindering efforts to both treat and prevent this disease...
- Giardia drug targets: Structure, function and inhibitorsOsnat Herzberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..Drugs commonly used against anaerobic protozoa are used to treat giardiasis. However, they produce undesirable side effects, clinical resistance may occur in both immunocompromised and ..
- STEROL BIOSYNTHESISSeiichi Matsuda; Fiscal Year: 2000..cause numerous human diseases, including malaria, African sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease, leishmaniasis, giardiasis, and amebic meningitis...
- BIOCHEMICAL CYTOLOGY OF GIARDIA AND ENTAMOEBADONALD LINDMARK; Fiscal Year: 1980..In addition, some insight should be obtained into the mode of pathogenicity of aerotolerant anaerobic parasites, and the mechanism of action of antianaerobic drugs used in the treatment of amebiasis and giardiasis.
- ADHESION DISC OF GIARDIA--MOLECULAR ANALYSISDEBRA PEATTIE; Fiscal Year: 1990..among parasitic protozoa, these studies also could offer a new approach to devising therapeutics to combat giardiasis. Finally, the early phylogenetic divergence of G...
- Characterization of the Giardia lamblia TranscriptomeANDREW MCARTHUR; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Giardiasis is a major contributor to the enormous worldwide burden of human diarrheal diseases, yet the basic biology of ..
- 2006 Biology of Host-Parasite Interactions Gordon Research ConferenceElisabetta Ullu; Fiscal Year: 2006..not limited to) malaria, toxoplasmosis, African and American trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, trichomoniasis, giardiasis and entamoebiasis...
- Anti-Giradia Cyst Wall Synthase drugs: In vivo testingChristine Dykstra; Fiscal Year: 2009..There are a number of effective drugs to treat giardiasis, however, all either have side effects, are slightly mutagenic, or have problems with resistance...
- MOUSE MODELS OF INTESTINAL INFECTION AND INFLAMMATIONLars Eckmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- HOST DEFENSES AGAINST PATHOGENIC E. coliLars Eckmann; Fiscal Year: 2007..coli, thus providing an important basis for designing immunization strategies against these pathogens. ..
- MUTANT NOD2 IN INTESTINAL INFLAMMATION AND HOST DISEASELars Eckmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together, the proposed studies are expected to yield important new insights into the physiological functions of mutant NOD2 as a mechanistic basis for designing new strategies in the treatment and prevention of CD. ..
- Gastroenteritis and Extreme Weather Events in ElderlyElena Naumova; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Helicobacter pylori: Pathogenesis and VirulenceKenneth Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Rapid Diagnostics for Category B EnteropathogensWilliam Petri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of these studies will yield high throughput diagnostic tests that target multiple enteropathogens simultaneously in a single sample. ..
- Role of iNOS and CAT-2 in defense against CP infectionJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..parvum infection. The PI is presently in the 3rd year of a 5-year K08 from NIDDK. These studies are anticipated to generate key preliminary data for the PI's first R01 application ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- GENE EXPRESSION IN ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICAWilliam Petri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Successful completion of these studies will provide insight into transcription regulation of virulence factors by the novel mechanism of direct calcium control of an EF-hand containing transcription factor. ..
- ADHERENCE BLOCKING VACCINE FOR AMEBIASISWilliam Petri; Fiscal Year: 2003..In Project 3, the applicants will attempt to develop a novel adjuvant, based on the ricin B subunit to improve the immunogenicity of proteins in plants. ..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..A preliminary estimate of the effect size of xylitol treatment from the pilot RCT will suggest whether the effect if sufficiently large to warrant a large formal RCT to be proposed. ..
- Genotyping of the parasite Trichomonas vaginalisPeter Upcroft; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- NO& Epithelial Repair in CryptosporidiosisJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Global Burden of Infectious Disease Through the GI TractPierre Payment; Fiscal Year: 2002..The report will be broadly announced and made available through many popular and scientific media. ..