screw worm infection
Summary: Infection with larvae of the blow fly Cochliomyia hominivorax (Callitroga americanum), a common cause of disease in livestock in the southern and southwestern U.S.A.
- Oral myiasis by screwworm Cochliomyia hominivoraxR S Gomez
Department of Oral Surgery and Pathology, School of Dentistry, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, Belo Horizonte MG 31270901, Brazil
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41:115-6. 2003..One week later the periodontal tissues were healing normally and the patient was referred to a periodontist. As all of the larvae were in the last stage, they were probably deposited 5-7 days before...
- Seasonal and spatial distributions of adult screwworms (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in the Panama Canal area, Republic of PanamaPamela L Phillips
Screwworm Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, Panama City, Republic of Panama
J Med Entomol 41:121-9. 2004..We discuss implications of this information to the screwworm eradication program...
- History of the screwworm (Cochliomyia hominivorax) eradication in the Eastern HemisphereV Kouba
Former Chief, Animal Health Service, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, P B 516, 17000 Prague 7, Czech Republic
Hist Med Vet 29:43-53. 2004..It was the most effective and successful international animal health program in the history of the United Nations Organization...
- ScrewwormsJames L Alexander
Texas Department of State Health Services, Zoonosis Control Group, WTAMU, Box 60968, 300 Victory Dr, Canyon, TX 79016, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 228:357-67. 2006..Diligence on the part of veterinarians, physicians, and their respective staffs is essential to protect the livestock industry...
- Re: treatment of oral myiasis with ivermectinElio Hitoshi Shinohara
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41:421. 2003
- piggyBac transformation of the New World screwworm, Cochliomyia hominivorax, produces multiple distinct mutant strainsM L Allen
Midwest Livestock Insects Laboratory, US Department of Agriculture, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA
Med Vet Entomol 18:1-9. 2004..In addition to supporting the eradication efforts, transformation methods offer potential means to identify genes and examine gene function in NWS...
- Unusual cases of human myiasis due to Old World screwworm fly acquired indoors in Hong KongJ C M Chan
Department of Medicine, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:914-8. 2005..The use of window screens in nursing homes should be encouraged to reduce the chance of flies entering the vicinity of these patients. Electrocuters could also be mounted indoors to kill flies that do enter...
- Incidence of Chrysomya bezziana screw-worm myiasis in Saudi Arabia, 1999/2000M N Abo-Shehada
Directorate of Animal Resources, Ministry of Agriculture and Water, Riyadh 11195, Saudi Arabia
Vet Rec 156:354-6. 2005
- Management of phaeniciatic ophthalmomyiasis externaN Huynh
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1377-8. 2005
- Seasonality of Old World screwworm myiasis in the Mesopotamia valley in IraqA Siddig
Ministry of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan
Med Vet Entomol 19:140-50. 2005..The presence of screwworm in Iraq, at the perimeter of the intercontinental OWS distribution, may give rise to major seasonal flare-ups...
- Evaluation of the prophylactic effect and curative efficacy of fipronil 1% pour on (Topline) on post-castration scrotal myiasis caused by Cochliomyia hominivorax in cattleW S Lima
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Caixa Postal 486 CEP 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 125:373-7. 2004..Active C. hominivorax larvae were not seen during the monitoring period immediately after treatment. The curative efficacy of fipronil 1% against C. hominivorax larvae infestation in castration wounds was 100%...
- Orbital myiasis in a patient with a chronically exposed hydroxyapatite implantMartin H Devoto
Consultores Oftalmologicos, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 20:395-6. 2004..The patient was able to wear a prosthesis 2 weeks later. The parasites were identified as belonging to Cochliomyia hominivorax, a fly responsible for the majority of cases of myiasis in the Western hemisphere...
- Retrospective study of old world screw-worm fly (Chrysomya bezziana) myiasis in 59 dogs in Hong Kong over a one year periodR Rubira
Aust Vet J 82:478; author reply 478. 2004
- Factors affecting abundance and oviposition rates of a field population of the Old World screw-worm fly, Chrysomya bezziana (Diptera: Calliphoridae)R J Mahon
CSIRO Entomology, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Bull Entomol Res 94:359-68. 2004..These findings are discussed in relation to the use of the sterile insect technique for the control of screw-worm fly infestations...
- Chrysomya bezziana in pet dogs in Hong Kong: a potential threat to AustraliaS Chemonges-Nielsen
Veterinary Nexus, G F 1796, PO Tung Road, Sai Kung, New Territories, Hong Kong
Aust Vet J 81:202-5. 2003..Because Hong Kong is a source of pet migration or a transit point to Australia, the fly could threaten Australia...
- [Local administration of ivermectin for the treatment of Cochliomyia hominivorax's myiasis]E Clyti
Service de Dermatologie, Centre Hospitalier Andrée Rosemon, BP 6006, 97306 Cayenne Cedex, Guyane Francaise
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:410-1. 2003..hominivorax by local application of ivermectin. The use of this molecule paralyses and then kills the larvae. This allows rapid alleviation of pain and makes the extraction of the larvae easier...
- The first releases of transgenic mosquitoes: an argument for the sterile insect techniqueMark Q Benedict
Entomology Unit, Food and Agriculture Organization International Atomic Energy Agency Agriculture and Biotechnology Laboratory, Agency s Laboratories Seibersdorf, A 1400 Vienna, Austria
Trends Parasitol 19:349-55. 2003..We argue that SIT using transgenic material would provide an essentially safe and efficacious foundation for other possible approaches that are more ambitious...
- Myiasis caused by the New World screwworm fly Cochliomyia hominivorax (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in cats from Brazil: report of five casesClarissa P de Souza
Departamento de Parasitologia Animal, Instituto de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, BR 465, Km 7 PSA UFRRJ, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
J Feline Med Surg 12:166-8. 2010..Myiasis caused by the New World screwworm fly in cats appears to be more frequent than previously thought, deserving more attention from both veterinary practitioners and owners...
- Genetic approaches for studying myiasis-causing flies: molecular markers and mitochondrial genomicsAna Maria Lima de Azeredo-Espin
Laboratório de Genética Animal, Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genética CBMEG, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, C P 6010, CEP 13083 875, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Genetica 126:111-31. 2006....
- Determination by HPLC fluorescence analysis of the natural enantiomers of sex pheromones in the New World screwworm fly, Cochliomyia hominivoraxK Akasaka
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Med Vet Entomol 23:126-30. 2009..This analysis applied to natural material was successful, as (6R,19R)-6-acetoxy-19-methylnonanocosane, and (7R,15R)- and (7R,15S)-7-acetoxy-15-methylnonanocosane were detected in extracts of recently colonized female flies...
- Mark-recapture estimates of recruitment, survivorship and population growth rate for the screwworm fly, Cochliomyia hominivoraxR B Matlock
Department of Biology, College of Staten Island, Staten Island, New York, New York 10314, USA
Med Vet Entomol 23:111-25. 2009..Estimates of phi and lambda from the literature both exceeded those calculated by mark-recapture methods and estimates of population doubling times were consequently shorter...
- Development and utilization of transgenic New World screwworm, Cochliomyia hominivoraxA M Handler
Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Gainesville, Florida 32608, USA
Med Vet Entomol 23:98-105. 2009....
- Molecular characterization of esterase E3 gene associated with organophosphorus insecticide resistance in the New World screwworm fly, Cochliomyia hominivoraxR A Carvalho
Laboratório de Genética Animal, Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genetica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Vet Entomol 23:86-91. 2009..This will provide information for the selection and implementation of more effective pest management programmes...
- Population genetics of New World screwworm from the Caribbean: insights from microsatellite dataT T Torres
Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genetica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Vet Entomol 23:23-31. 2009..This is valuable information that should be required prior to any investment in large-scale efforts aiming at controlling this pest...
- Phylogenetic analysis of New World screwworm fly, Cochliomyia hominivorax, suggests genetic isolation of some Caribbean island populations following colonization from South AmericaL McDonagh
Hatherly Laboratories, School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, U K
Med Vet Entomol 23:14-22. 2009..The importance of these findings in the light of proposed SIT programmes in the region is discussed...
- Characterization and utilization of microsatellite loci in the New World screwworm fly, Cochliomyia hominivoraxA M Griffiths
School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, U K
Med Vet Entomol 23:8-13. 2009..We present results which suggest that populations from Trinidad and Jamaica form distinct groupings of flies and that C. hominivorax from Trinidad appears particularly distinct...
- Enabling technologies to improve area-wide integrated pest management programmes for the control of screwwormsA S Robinson
Joint Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency FAO IAEA Programme of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, Vienna, Austria
Med Vet Entomol 23:1-7. 2009..The project also addressed issues related to genetic sexing, cuticular hydrocarbons, population dynamics, genetic transformation and chromosome analysis...
- Use of polyester pad as a new physical substrate for rearing Cochliomyia hominivorax coquerel (Diptera: Calliphoridae) larvaeCarlos E Silva
Depto Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Univ Federal do Rio Grande do Sul Sarmento Leite, Porto Alegre, RS, 90070 150, Brazil
Neotrop Entomol 37:349-51. 2008..We propose that the polyester pad can be used as solid support for rearing C. hominivorax larvae in liquid diets and can be reutilized reducing the costs of mass rearing...
- The 2007-2008 photo competition award winner: Melissa Langhan, MD: A painful scalp rash: cutaneous myiasis secondary to new world screwwormMelissa L Langhan
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 24:502-4. 2008
- Human myiasis in western Jamaica: five years after the implementation of a screwworm eradication programmeS C Hemmings
Cornwall Regional Hospital and the Epidemiology and Research Unit, Western Regional Health Authority, Ministry of Health, Montego Bay, Jamaica
West Indian Med J 56:341-5. 2007....
- Cutaneous myiasis associated with scalp psoriasisKavita Mariwalla
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:S51-2. 2007
- Chrysomya bezziana: a rare infestation of the breastAva Kwong
Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Breast J 13:297-301. 2007
- Umbilical myiasis in a human newbornE A Duro
1Hospital Zonal General de Agudos Magdalena V de Martínez, Universidad de Moron, Buenos Aires, Republica Argentina, Argentina
J Perinatol 27:250-1. 2007..hominivorax. The blowfly causing this infestation belongs to the family Calliphoridae (Diptera) and the genus Cochliomyia that usually infests only open wounds of animals...
- Radiologic findings in sinonasal myiasisCarlos S Duque
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:638-9. 2006
- Edward F. Knipling: titan and driving force in ecologically selective area-wide pest managementWaldemar Klassen
Tropical Research and Education Center, IFAS, University of Florida, 18905 SW 280th Street, Homestead, FL 33031, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 19:94-103. 2003..Knipling was convinced that many pest problems could be met without harm to the environment by the area-wide application of systems including the augmentation of natural enemies...
- Area-wide biological control of disease vectors and agents affecting wildlifeR E Reichard
Rev Sci Tech 21:179-85. 2002..It seems likely that for the immediate future, wildlife may benefit from area-wide biological control programmes, intended mainly to protect humans and/or domestic animals...
- A detector dog for screwworms (Diptera: Calliphoridae)J B Welch
Screwworm Research, USDA ARS, San Jose, Costa Rica
J Econ Entomol 83:1932-4. 1990..7% (285 successes for 286 tests). Use of detector dogs at quarantine stations could result in increased efficiency, economic savings, and decreased possibility of reintroduction of screwworms into eradicated areas...
- Otolaryngic manifestations of myiasisC S Duque
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia
Ear Nose Throat J 69:619-22. 1990..We review our experience with 12 patients with myiasis of the ears, nose, and paranasal sinuses...
- The impact of pure infestations of Rhipicephalus appendiculatus and Amblyomma hebraeum on the productivity of cattle and implications for tick control strategies in AfricaR A Norval
International Laboratory for Research on Animal Diseases, Nairobi, Kenya
Parassitologia 32:155-63. 1990..The loss in productivity per engorged female, known as the damage coefficient, can be used in simulation models to estimate the value of production losses caused by the ticks and the economic benefits of control strategies...
- The use of irradiated embryos of Chrysomya bezziana for the detection of the Old World screw-worm flyG M Clarke
DPIE CSIRO Screw Worm Fly Unit, Boroko, Papua New Guinea
Aust Vet J 67:452-3. 1990..Thus it would be feasible to use such larvae for wound infestation for the enhanced detection of screw-worm fly in areas where the release of fertile flies is undesirable...
- Oviposition by screwworm flies (Diptera: Calliphoridae) on contact with host fluidsL Hammack
Biosciences Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, Fargo, North Dakota 58105
J Econ Entomol 84:185-90. 1991..Both insemination and darkness during bioassay increased oviposition rates, but the magnitude of these effects was small compared with that due to substrate. Age had no effect for at least 1 wk after females became gravid...
- Studies on the screwworm fly Cochliomyia hominivorax in Libya: effect of temperature on pupation and eclosionO R Elwaer
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
Parasitol Res 77:48-9. 1991..Correlation of these findings with meteorological temperature data from local areas in which C. hominivorax myiasis occurs suggests a crucial role for temperature in the determination of the effective environment for this fly species...
- The New World screw-worm fly in north AfricaW N Beesley
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, U K
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 85:173-9. 1991..Chemical and biological control measures are reviewed, including the current progress of the 'sterile male' (SIT) eradication programme...
- Gelled diet for screwworm (Diptera: Calliphoridae) mass productionD B Taylor
USDA ARS, Chiapas, Mexico
J Econ Entomol 84:927-35. 1991..Other advantages of the WL system include reduced susceptibility to suboptimal environmental conditions and labor practices and characteristics conducive to centralization and mechanization of rearing procedures...
- The efficacy of insecticides against the screw-worm fly (Chrysomya bezziana)J P Spradbery
CSIRO Division of Entomology, Canberra, ACT
Aust Vet J 68:338-42. 1991..A comparison of methods demonstrated that a laboratory test could supersede live animal experimentation, at least for the initial screening of potential insecticides...
- Influence of attractants on behavior of screwworms (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in a tropical wet forest in Costa RicaF D Parker
Screwworm Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, San Jose, Costa Rica
J Econ Entomol 84:1468-75. 1991..Only 8% of the marked males were recaptured and none was recaptured less than 2 d later. Only a small proportion of the adult screwworms at a locality visited wounds on sentinel sheep; the majority of the adults were transient...
- The New World screwworm fly in Libya: a review of its introduction and eradicationD A Lindquist
Screwworm Emergency Centre for North Africa SECNA Field Programme, Tripoli, Libya
Med Vet Entomol 6:2-8. 1992..During 1992 the Libyan Government should be able to officially declare the New World screwworm eradicated from Libya, making it one of the most important success stories of pest control...
- Persistence of sterile screwworm (Diptera: Calliphoridae) flies at a release siteD B Thomas
USDA ARS Screwworm Research Laboratory, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico
J Econ Entomol 85:441-4. 1992..The results suggest that survival of released sterile flies is comparable with estimated survival rate and life span of wild, native flies...
- Observations on the New World screwworm fly in Libya and the risk of its entrance into EgyptO M El-Azazy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt
Vet Parasitol 42:303-10. 1992..Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) efforts to confront the New World screwworm problem in Africa are mentioned...
- Myiasis: the battle continues against screwworm infestationR E Reichard
Screwworm Emergency Centre for North Africa, Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
World Health Forum 13:130-8. 1992..Action is continuing against the pest in Central America...
- Kinetic development and decline of antiscrewworm (Diptera: Calliphoridae) antibodies in serum of infested sheepD B Thomas
USDA ARS Screwworm Research Laboratory, Chiapas, Mexico
J Med Entomol 29:870-3. 1992..Anomalous seropositive responses in some noninfested sheep suggested the possibility of cross-reactivity between antigens of screwworm and those of related myiasigenic blowflies...
- The influence of seasonal temperatures on the natural regulation of the screwworm, Cochliomyia hominivorax, in the southern U.S.AJ L Readshaw
CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Canberra, Australia
Med Vet Entomol 3:159-68. 1989..S.A. by exceptionally unfavourable climate such as occurred in Florida in 1958 and in Texas in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Certainly, unfavourable climate must have been important to the success of the eradication campaigns...
- The screwworm fly in Libya: a threat to the livestock industry of the Old WorldM M Gabaj
Department of Entomology, British Museum Natural History, London
Vet Rec 125:347-9. 1989..It has recently been recorded in Libya, where it appears to have become established. This article documents these recent finds, and provides background information on the recognition of the fly, its biology, distribution and importance...
- Responses of fertile and sterile screwworm (Diptera: Calliphoridae) flies to bovine blood inoculated with bacteria originating from screwworm-infested animal woundsM F Chaudhury
Screwworm Research Unit, USDA ARS, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico
J Med Entomol 39:130-4. 2002..The volatiles, once isolated and identified, may be useful for sampling gravid females in the field as well as improving the oviposition system in the mass-production facility of the screwworm eradication program...
- Identification of screwworms, Cochliomyia hominivorax (Coquerel) (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with a monoclonal antibody-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (MAb-ELISA)J L Figarola
Insect Genetics Laboratory, Department of Entomology, USDA ARS Midwest Livestock Insects Research Unit, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0938, USA
Vet Parasitol 102:341-54. 2001....
- Screwworm eradication in the AmericasJ H Wyss
United States Department of Agriculture, Panama City, Panama
Ann N Y Acad Sci 916:186-93. 2000..The positive and negative aspects, as well as the necessary elements of successful cooperative agreements, are discussed...
- Diversity of ectoparasites in sheep flocks in São Paulo, BrazilN G Madeira
Departamento de Parasitologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Trop Anim Health Prod 32:225-32. 2000..Lice were only absent from animals of indigenous breeds. The relationships among these ectoparasites are discussed in terms of sheep breeds, flock size, seasonality and the ectoparasitic combinations on the host...
- Persistent activity of doramectin and ivermectin in the prevention of cutaneous myiasis in cattle experimentally infested with Cochliomyia hominivoraxO S Anziani
EEA INTA Rafaela, Santa Fe, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 87:243-7. 2000..0001). In contrast, there were no significant differences in the number of calves with myiasis between those treated with either of the ivermectin formulations and the saline control...
- Case studies of emergency management of screwwormR Reichard
Scientific and Technical Department, Office International des Epizooties, Paris, France
Rev Sci Tech 18:145-63. 1999..Programmes for this highly mobile parasite encompass large geographic areas and consequently require active and continuous international participation...
- Effect of management practices on screw-worm among sheep in São Paulo State, BrazilN G Madeira
Departmento de Parasitologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Botucatu SP, Brazil
Trop Anim Health Prod 30:149-57. 1998..Furthermore, several other associations between the indicators surveyed were also found to be significant. The data obtained will permit the elaboration of strategies for the control of this parasitosis...
- Evaluating the risk of the establishment of screwworm fly in AustraliaM G Atzeni
Queensland Department of Primary Industries, Toowoomba
Aust Vet J 75:743-5. 1997..To investigate probabilities of establishment of screwworm fly throughout the year, for several locations around Australia's coastline...
- Prophylactic use of ivermectin against cattle myiasis caused by Cochliomyia hominivorax (Coquerel, 1858)C Benitez Usher
Merck Research Laboratories, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 72:215-20. 1997..Navel and scrotal wounds were examined for myiasis daily for at least 14 days. Incidence of navel and scrotal myiasis was significantly lower (P < 0.01) in treated calves than in control calves...
- Protective efficacy of doramectin and ivermectin against Cochliomyia hominivoraxG E Moya-Borja
Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 72:101-9. 1997..hominivorax for 21 days p.t. and showed partial activity at 28 days p.t...
- Efficacy of injectable doramectin in the protection of castrated cattle against field infestations of Cochliomyia hominivoraxR A Muniz
Animal Health Group, Pfizer Inc, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Vet Parasitol 58:327-33. 1995..hominivorax eggs but none developed into larvae. There were no clinical signs of adverse reactions to treatment in any of the three studies...
- An unusual nosocomial infection: nasotracheal myiasisR L Josephson
Department of Otolaryngology, St Joseph s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Otolaryngol 22:46-7. 1993..This case history indicates that the infestation was hospital-acquired and although undoubtedly an extremely rare occurrence, at least in Canada, points out the risk of myiasis in the unconscious, debilitated patient...
- Prophylactic and persistent efficacy of doramectin against Cochliomyia hominivorax in cattleG E Moya-Borja
Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 49:95-105. 1993..The persistent efficacy of a single injection of doramectin extended beyond 14 days...
- Identification of electrophysiologically-active compounds for New World screwworm, Cochliomyia hominivorax, in larval wound fluidA Cork
Natural Resources Institute, Chatham Maritime, Kent, U K
Med Vet Entomol 8:151-9. 1994..The potential behavioural significance of these compounds is discussed in relation to that of known attractants of C. hominivorax and other dipteran pests of mammals...
- Climatological correlates of screwworm (Cochliomyia hominivorax) abundance in Texas, U.S.AE S Krafsur
Department of Entomology, Iowa State University, Ames 50011
Med Vet Entomol 1:71-80. 1987..The analysis does not support a climatic genesis of screwworm outbreaks or eradication. The sterile-male method is a credible explanation for screwworm disappearance...
- [Program fo the eradication of Cochliomyia hominivorax in Northern Africa]E P Cunningham
Organisation des Nations Unies pour l alimentation et l agriculture FAO, Rome, Italie
Rev Elev Med Vet Pays Trop 45:115-8. 1992..3 billion sterile insects, animal inspections totalling 40 million and laboratory examination of 280,000 trapped flies. While the programme cost close to US $75 million, a benefit/cost ration of 50:1 has been estimated...