Genomes and Genes
Summary: Increased levels of PROLACTIN in the BLOOD, which may be associated with AMENORRHEA and GALACTORRHEA. Relatively common etiologies include PROLACTINOMA, medication effect, KIDNEY FAILURE, granulomatous diseases of the PITUITARY GLAND, and disorders which interfere with the hypothalamic inhibition of prolactin release. Ectopic (non-pituitary) production of prolactin may also occur. (From Joynt, Clinical Neurology, 1992, Ch36, pp77-8)
Publications181 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of the effects of cabergoline and bromocriptine on prolactin levels in hyperprolactinemic patientsT Sabuncu
Harran University, Medical Faculty, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Intern Med 40:857-61. 2001..PATIENTS: Seventeen patients (7 with microprolactinoma, 4 with macroprolactinoma, 6 with idiopathic hyperprolactinemia) were given bromocriptine at a dose of 2...
- Relationship between high prolactin levels and migraine attacks in patients with microprolactinomaD Bosco
Operative Unit of Neurology, S Giovanni di Dio Hospital, Via Largo Bologna, 88900 Crotone, Italy
J Headache Pain 9:103-7. 2008..of this study was to evaluate whether headache in a population with pituitary micro-adenomas was related to hyperprolactinemia. We recruited 29 patients with microprolactinoma and headache: 16 with migraine (group A) and 13 with ..
- Prolactin and neuroimmunomodulation: in vitro and in vivo observationsI C Chikanza
Department of Rheumatology, St Bartholomews, London, United Kingdom
Ann N Y Acad Sci 876:119-30. 1999..Hypoprolactinemia impairs immune function while hyperprolactinemia enhances active systemic lupus erythematosus, Reiter's disease, juvenile and adult rheumatoid arthritis (RA),..
- Hyperprolactinemia associated with psychotropics--a reviewSubramoniam Madhusoodanan
St John s Episcopal Hospital, Rockaway, New York 11691, USA
Hum Psychopharmacol 25:281-97. 2010Different classes of psychotropics can cause hyperprolactinemia to varying degrees. Among antipsychotics, typical agents and risperidone are the most frequent and significant offenders...
- Endocrine and metabolic adverse effects of psychotropic medications in children and adolescentsChristoph U Correll
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, 75 59 263rd Street, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:771-91. 2006..Endocrine and metabolic adverse effects are among the most concerning adverse effects of commonly used psychotropic medications...
- Low dose cabergoline for hyperprolactinaemia is not associated with clinically significant valvular heart diseaseAmmar Wakil
Michael White Diabetes Centre, Hull Royal Infirmary, Brocklehurst Building, 220 236 Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 2RW, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 159:R11-4. 2008..However, the dose of cabergoline used to treat hyperprolactinaemia is considerably less than that used in Parkinson's disease...
- Clinical implications of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with schizophrenia spectrum or bipolar spectrum disorders: recent developments and current perspectivesMatthew Byerly
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6363 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:639-61. 2007b>Hyperprolactinemia is increasingly studied as a frequent and potentially important consequence of antipsychotic medication treatment...
- Cabergoline therapy and the risk of cardiac valve regurgitation in patients with hyperprolactinemia: a meta-analysis from clinical studiesF Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 31:1119-23. 2008..Whether these drugs might be harmful for patients with hyperprolactinemia is still unsettled...
- Pregnancy outcomes following cabergoline treatment: extended results from a 12-year observational studyAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:66-71. 2008..Although cabergoline has been used to treat hyperprolactinaemia since the mid-1990s, safety data related to maternal and foetal exposure to this agent are still limited...
- Surgical treatment of prolactin-secreting pituitary adenomas: early results and long-term outcomeMarco Losa
Pituitary Unit, Department of Neurosurgery, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Universita Vita Salute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3180-6. 2002..Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia occurred in 13 of the 77 cured patients (16.9%) during a mean follow-up of 50.2 +/- 3...
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of long-term cabergoline therapyJ Kharlip
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2428-36. 2009Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after cabergoline withdrawal ranges widely from 36 to 80%. The Pituitary Society recommends withdrawal of cabergoline in selected patients.
- Effects of hyperprolactinemia on testosterone production in rat Leydig cellsW J Huang
Institute of Clinical Research, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Cell Biochem 80:313-20. 2001The pathogenesis of hyperprolactinemia (hyperPRL) induced hypogonadism has been suggested to be related with a dysfunction of hypothalamus-pituitary-testis axis...
- A randomized, crossover comparison of herbal medicine and bromocriptine against risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with schizophreniaHai Ning Yuan
Laboratory of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Beijing Anding Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:264-370. 2008b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common adverse effect that occurs as a result of antipsychotic therapies, which often results in discontinuation...
- Surgical outcomes in hyporesponsive prolactinomas: analysis of patients with resistance or intolerance to dopamine agonistsD Kojo Hamilton
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
Pituitary 8:53-60. 2005..symptomatic patients who did not tolerate or did not respond to dopamine agonist therapy (persistent hyperprolactinemia and/or no shrinkage of tumor mass)...
- Relapse of hyperprolactinemia after transsphenoidal surgery for microprolactinoma: lessons from long-term follow-upJohn A Thomson
University Department of Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland G4 0SF, UK
Neurosurgery 50:36-9; discussion 39-40. 2002..surgery for microprolactinoma, with particular reference to the question of permanence of relapse of hyperprolactinemia after biochemical cure, are examined...
- Detection of macroprolactinemia with the polyethylene glycol precipitation test in systemic lupus erythematosus patients with hyperprolactinemiaA Leaños-Miranda
Laboratory of Autoimmunity, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico City
Lupus 10:340-5. 2001..glycol (PEG) for the detection of macroprolactinemia in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients with hyperprolactinemia. Serum samples from SLE patients were examined...
- Clinical Review#: Potential cardiac valve effects of dopamine agonists in hyperprolactinemiaElena Valassi
Neuroendocrine Unit, Bulfinch 457B, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1025-33. 2010..quot;bromocriptine," "pergolide," "prolactin," "prolactinoma," or "hyperprolactinemia." All publications from 1950 to August, 2008, were screened for use in this review...
- Hyperprolactinemia: different clinical expression in childhoodL Saranac
Pediatric Clinic, University Clinical Center, Nis, Serbia endoljilja yahoo com
Horm Res Paediatr 73:187-92. 2010b>Hyperprolactinemia is the most common disturbance in pituitary gland secretion. Functional diversity of prolactin action is responsible for different initial clinical expressions of hyperprolactinemia.
- Experimental estrogen-induced hyperprolactinemia results in bone-related hearing loss in the guinea pigKathleen C Horner
CNRS UMR 6153 1147 INRA, Universite Paul Cezanne, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, Campus St Jerome, Cases 351 352, Ave Escadrille Normandie Niemen, 13397, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1224-32. 2007..Neuropsychopharmacology 26: 135-138, 2002) has earlier described hyperprolactinemia in some patients presenting inner ear dysfunction...
- Prolactin's role in the pathogenesis of the antiphospholipid syndromeS Praprotnik
Department of Rheumatology, University Clinical Center Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Lupus 19:1515-9. 2010..05). The data indirectly imply that prolactin may play a role in the pathogenesis of antiphospholipid syndrome, especially antiphospholipid syndrome-related reproductive failure...
- Prolactin and autoimmunityAnnamaria De Bellis
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery F Magrassi, A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, via Pansini N 5, 80131, Napoli, Italy
Pituitary 8:25-30. 2005..b>Hyperprolactinemia has been described in the active phase of some non organ-specific autoimmune diseases, as systemic lupus ..
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of dopamine agonists: systematic review and meta-analysisOlaf M Dekkers
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, C4 R, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:43-51. 2010Dopamine agonists are the treatment of choice for prolactinomas and symptomatic idiopathic hyperprolactinemia. However, the optimal treatment strategy and treatment duration is not clear in all details.
- Resistance to cabergoline as compared with bromocriptine in hyperprolactinemia: prevalence, clinical definition, and therapeutic strategyA Di Sarno
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5256-61. 2001..treatment, we studied 120 consecutive de novo patients (56 macroadenoma, 60 microadenoma, 4 nontumoral hyperprolactinemia) treated with cabergoline (CAB) compared with 87 consecutive de novo patients (28 macroadenoma, 44 ..
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemiaJolene R Bostwick
Department of Clinical, Social, and Administrative Sciences, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:64-73. 2009Use of antipsychotic agents has been associated with hyperprolactinemia, or elevated prolactin levels; this hormonal abnormality can interfere with the functioning of reproductive, endocrine, and metabolic systems...
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a cross-sectional surveyErik Johnsen
Division of Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital, Sandviken, Bergen, Norway
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:686-90. 2008To investigate the prevalence of hyperprolactinemia and common hyperprolactinemia-related symptoms and explore the association between them in patients using a modern antipsychotic drug regimen and, in addition, investigate the prevalence ..
- Cabergoline in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia: a study in 455 patientsJ Verhelst
Department of Endocrinology, Middelheim Ziekenhuis, Antwerpen, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2518-22. 1999..a new long-acting dopamine agonist that is very effective and well tolerated in patients with pathological hyperprolactinemia. The aim of this study was to examine, in a very large number of hyperprolactinemic patients, the ability to ..
- Guidelines of the Pituitary Society for the diagnosis and management of prolactinomasFelipe F Casanueva
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Division, Santiago de Compostela University, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:265-73. 2006....
- Metoclopramide-induced hyperprolactinemia affects mouse endometrial morphologyAlexandre G Z Rossi
Department of Gynecology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gynecol Obstet Invest 54:185-90. 2002Information about the effects of pituitary hyperprolactinemia on endometrium, especially in levels coexisting with absence of amenorrhea in women, is scarce...
- Amisulpride-induced hyperprolactinemia is reversible following discontinuationThomas Paparrigopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, Athens University Medical School, Eginition Hospital, 74, Vas Sofias Ave 115 28 Athens, Greece
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:92-6. 2007..In the present study the effect of amisulpride on plasma levels of prolactin and the reversibility of this untoward side effect were investigated...
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia and sexual dysfunctionMichael T Compton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Emory West Campus, 1256 Briarcliff Road, Suite 165, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 36:143-64. 2002This overview of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia provides a summary of the current literature in relation to conventional antipsychotic agents and the five atypical antipsychotics currently available in the United States--..
- Hyperprolactinemia and bone mineral density: the potential impact of antipsychotic agentsU Naidoo
Department of Psychology, Schizophrenia Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:97-108. 2003..Studies in women with hyperprolactinemia resulting from pituitary tumors have demonstrated high rates of osteoporosis believed to result from ..
- Drug insight: Cabergoline and bromocriptine in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia in men and womenAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2:200-10. 2006..Fewer results are available for men than for women, but there is no evidence that men are less responsive to dopamine agonists than are women...
- Hyperprolactinemia: etiology, diagnosis, and managementPeak Mann Mah
Endocrine Centre, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Semin Reprod Med 20:365-74. 2002b>Hyperprolactinemia is the most common endocrine disorder of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis...
- [Drug-induced hyperprolactinemia: a case-non-case study from the national pharmacovigilance database]Abir Petit
Centre Regional de Pharmacovigilance, CHU, Reims, France
Therapie 58:159-63. 2003..It is thus necessary to harmonise the SPC and encourage health professionals to notify all adverse reactions to their pharmacovigilance centres...
- Hyperprolactinemia in response to antipsychotic drugs: characterization across comparative clinical trialsBruce J Kinon
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:69-82. 2003..Neuroendocrine abnormalities in patients with schizophrenia, such as chronic hyperprolactinemia, may now potentially be minimized by the use of newer prolactin-sparing antipsychotic drugs...
- Gender differences in the prevalence, clinical features and response to cabergoline in hyperprolactinemiaAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology, Federico II University of Naples, Via S Pansini 5, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 148:325-31. 2003Gender differences in tumor size are supposed to exist in hyperprolactinemia since microadenomas are more commonly found in women and macroadenomas in men...
- Resolution of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia with substitution of quetiapineArun Raj Kunwar
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210-1834, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:206-8. 2003OBJECTIVE: To report a case of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia that was successfully managed with quetiapine...
- Using aripiprazole to resolve antipsychotic-induced symptomatic hyperprolactinemia: a pilot studyBun-Hee Lee
Department of Psychiatry, Korea University Ansan Hospital, College of Medicine, 516 Go-Jan Dong, Ansan, Kyunggi-Do 425-020, Korea
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:714-7. 2006..drugs taken by stable schizophrenic patients suffering from antipsychotic agent-induced symptomatic hyperprolactinemia. METHODS: Seven female schizophrenic patients with symptomatic hyperprolactinemia (167.6+/-58...
- A prospective study of hyperprolactinemia in children and adolescents treated with atypical antipsychotic agentsEma Saito
Department of Psychiatry Research, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 14:350-8. 2004..We hypothesized: (1) risperidone would be associated with hyperprolactinemia most frequently, and (2) postpubertal females may be at higher risk of prolactin elevation and associated ..
- Usefulness of bromocriptine in the treatment of amisulpride-induced hyperprolactinemia: a case reportN Bliesener
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:189-91. 2004
- Hyperprolactinemia after low dose of amisulprideMiloslav Kopecek
Psychiatric Centre Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 25:419-22. 2004Amisulpride in antipsychotic doses can induce hyperprolactinemia. The aim of this study was to prove whether the same is true for low doses of amisulpride.
- Hyperprolactinemia affects spermiogenesis in adult male ratsM Aleem
Department of Urology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 28:39-48. 2005The mechanisms underlying the antifertility effects of hyperprolactinemia have yet to be established in an appropriate experimental model...
- Cabergoline treatment of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia: a pilot studyRoberto Cavallaro
Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences, San Raffaele Scientific Institute Hospital, Vita Salute University Medical School, Via Stamira d Ancona 20, 20127 Milan, Italy
J Clin Psychiatry 65:187-90. 2004..The endocrine and sexual side effects related to hyperprolactinemia significantly impair tolerability and compliance in patients, including those with a good response to ..
- Medication-induced hyperprolactinemiaMark E Molitch
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:1050-7. 2005Medication use is a common cause of hyperprolactinemia, and it is important to differentiate this cause from pathologic causes, such as prolactinomas...
- The dopamine receptor D2 genotype is associated with hyperprolactinemiaKeith A Hansen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57105, USA
Fertil Steril 84:711-8. 2005To evaluate patients with hyperprolactinemia for the presence of dopamine receptor D2 polymorphisms.
- Sexual dysfunction in women with hyperprolactinemia: a pilot study reportPinar Kadioglu
Department of Internal Medicine Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
J Urol 174:1921-5. 2005b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common hormonal disorder in women that may affect the phases of female sexual function (FSD). We investigated sexual function in patients with hyperprolactinemia.
- Reversal of symptomatic hyperprolactinemia by aripiprazoleRebecca Wahl
Am J Psychiatry 162:1542-3. 2005
- Clinical practice. ProlactinomaJanet A Schlechte
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2035-41. 2003
- Withdrawal of long-term cabergoline therapy for tumoral and nontumoral hyperprolactinemiaAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, Federico II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
N Engl J Med 349:2023-33. 2003Whether the withdrawal of treatment in patients with nontumoral hyperprolactinemia, microprolactinomas, or macroprolactinomas is safe and effective has been unclear...
- Hyperprolactinemia and sexual function in men: a short reviewJ Buvat
Association pour l Etude de la Pathologie de l Appareil Reproducteur et de la Psychosomatique, Lille, France
Int J Impot Res 15:373-7. 2003..sexual desire and sometimes with orgasmic or ejaculatory dysfunction, is the major revealing symptom of hyperprolactinemia (HPRL) in men, a condition that should not be neglected since many cases result from pituitary tumors, ..
- Hyperprolactinemia in patients on antipsychotic drugs causes ADP-stimulated platelet activation that might explain the increased risk for venous thromboembolism: pilot studyHenri Wallaschofski
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:479-83. 2003..Most antipsychotic drugs act as dopamine antagonists, and some of them cause hyperprolactinemia. Hyperprolactinemia has recently been found to cause increased platelet activation via potentiating ADP ..
- Management of hyperprolactinemia in patients receiving antipsychoticsKaren K Miller
Neuroendocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
CNS Spectr 9:28-32. 2004b>Hyperprolactinemia is increasingly prevalent in patients with common psychiatric disorders due to increasing prescriptions of antipsychotics, particularly newer atypical neuroleptics, in these patients...
- Estimated age- and sex-specific incidence and prevalence of dopamine agonist-treated hyperprolactinemiaM Kars
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2729-34. 2009Few data exist on sex- and age-specific incidence and prevalence of idiopathic hyperprolactinemia and prolactinomas.
- Effect of hyperprolactinemia in male patients consulting for sexual dysfunctionGiovanni Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 4:1485-93. 2007..The physiological role of prolactin (PRL) in male sexual function has not been completely clarified...
- Hyperprolactinemia and autoimmune diseasesHedi Orbach
Department of Medicine B, Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Autoimmun Rev 6:537-42. 2007..b>Hyperprolactinemia (HPRL) is observed in multi-organ and organ specific autoimmune diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus (..
- Hyperprolactinemia complicating juvenile granulosa cell tumor of the ovaryM Santala
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of Oulu, FIN 90220, Oulu, Finland
Gynecol Oncol 82:389-91. 2001..Granulosa cell tumors are known to be hormonally active. They usually produce estrogen and inhibin, and the serum inhibin level is often considered a useful tumor marker during the follow-up of this illness...
- Resolution of haloperidol-induced hyperprolactinemia with aripiprazoleRaymond A Lorenz
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:524-5. 2007
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia inhibits the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and reduces bone mineral density in male patients with schizophreniaTaishiro Kishimoto
Oizumi Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Psychiatry 69:385-91. 2008An inhibitory effect of hyperprolactinemia on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis has been suggested as a mechanism of bone loss in schizophrenia, but this has not been confirmed...
- Hyperprolactinemia and possibly related development of prolactinoma during amisulpride treatment; three casesC Akkaya
Medical Faculty, Psychiatry Department, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
J Psychopharmacol 23:723-6. 2009..Antipsychotic drugs are the mainstay of treatment in schizophrenia. Hyperprolactinemia, which is a common side effect of typical antipsychotics, is also associated with the use of some of the ..
- Macroprolactinemia in childhood and adolescence: a cause of asymptomatic hyperprolactinemiaH L Fideleff
Endocrinology Unit, Hospital T Alvarez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Horm Res 53:16-9. 2000..We studied 5 patients (1 male and 4 females) aged 11.6-18 years with incidentally discovered asymptomatic hyperprolactinemia. Patients underwent repeated evaluations for a period of 3 months to 8 years, and their PRL levels remained ..
- Adverse effects of prolactin in rodents and humans: breast and prostate cancerPhilip W Harvey
Department of Toxicology, Covance Laboratories Ltd, Otley Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK
J Psychopharmacol 22:20-7. 2008..More evidence is required concerning prostate cancer risk but molecular biology indicates that prolactin also induces prostate cell proliferation and inhibits apoptosis, which are similar to the responses observed in breast cancer cells...
- Identification of mammosomatotrophs in the turkey hen pituitary: increased abundance during hyperprolactinemiaR Ramesh
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Endocrinology 139:781-6. 1998We have previously reported that the hyperprolactinemia in incubating turkey hens is associated with recruitment of lactotrophs in the pituitary gland...
- Variants of the dopamine D2 receptor gene and risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in children and adolescentsChadi A Calarge
The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:373-82. 2009To investigate the association between hyperprolactinemia and variants of the dopamine D2 receptor (DRD2) gene in children and adolescents in long-term treatment with risperidone.
- Hyperprolactinemia and prolactinomasTatiana Mancini
Internal Medicine, San Marino Hospital, 47899, Republic of San Marino
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 37:67-99, viii. 2008..its transport to the pituitary gland, or its action at the level of lactotroph dopamine receptors can cause hyperprolactinemia. As described in this article, considering the complexity of prolactin regulation, many factors could cause ..
- Treatment of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia with a dopamine agonist in childrenL G Cohen
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 11:435-40. 2001..Risperidone, a potent antagonist of both serotonergic (5HT2A) and dopaminergic D2 receptors is associated with hyperprolactinemia in adults and children...
- Use of the dopamine agonists bromocriptine and cabergoline in the management of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with psychotic disordersS R Tollin
Department of Medicine, Winthrop University Hospital and the State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Mineola, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 23:765-70. 2000..In several reports, clinically significant hyperprolactinemia has been reported in patients on this agent...
- Prevalence of valvular heart disease in a cohort of patients taking cabergoline for management of hyperprolactinemiaJessica K Devin
Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Endocr Pract 14:672-7. 2008To determine the prevalence of valvular heart disease in a cohort of patients taking cabergoline for the management of hyperprolactinemia.
- Predictors of remission of hyperprolactinaemia after long-term withdrawal of cabergoline therapyAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:426-33. 2007..Remission rates of 76, 69.5 and 64.3% have been reported in patients with nontumoural hyperprolactinaemia (NTH), microprolactinoma and macroprolactinoma, respectively, 2-5 years after cabergoline (CAB) withdrawal...
- [Forbes-Albright syndrome (prolactinoma)]Tatsuhide Inoue
Center of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shizuoka General Hospital
Nippon Rinsho . 2006
- Risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in adolescents: A case seriesSubramoniam Madhusoodanan
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York, Health Science Center at Brooklyn and St John s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY 11691, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1110-3. 2006..To study the effect of risperidone on prolactin levels in 3 adolescent patients...
- Differences in prolactin elevation and related symptoms of atypical antipsychotics in schizophrenic patientsKristina Melkersson
Sollentuna Psychiatric Polyclinic and the Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Psychiatry 66:761-7. 2005..The aim of this cross-sectional study was to investigate the degree and frequency of prolactin (PRL) elevation and related symptoms in patients treated with 3 different atypical antipsychotics: clozapine, olanzapine, and risperidone...
- A prolactinoma masked by a herbal remedyJoseph Gallagher
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 137:257-8. 2008
- Long-term management of prolactinomas--use of long-acting dopamine agonistsDavid M Cook
Oregon Health and Sciences University, Endocrinology, L607, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 6:15-21. 2005
- Clinical presentation and response to therapy in patients with massive prolactin hypersecretionSusana Mascarell
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1819 West Polk St, M C 640, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Pituitary 10:95-101. 2007..Rather than waiting for maximal prolactin reduction, we would recommend early institution of testosterone replacement therapy...
- Hyperprolactinaemia does not always mean 'hyperprolactinaemia'!Altay Gezer
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 118:206-8. 2005..High levels of serum prolactin, do not essentially indicate the presence of a prolactinoma but may only indicate macroprolactinaemia...
- Galactorrhea in a 14-year-old girlOuyporn Panamonta
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:1304-7. 2006..Furthermore, this galactorrhea case was associated with hyperprolactinemia and prolactinoma. The patient tolerated and responded well to therapy with bromocriptine...
- Complete remission of hyperprolactinemia and erythrocytosis after hysterectomy for a uterine fibroid in a woman with a previous diagnosis of prolactin-secreting pituitary microadenomaVincenzo Cordiano
Ann Hematol 84:200-2. 2005A 44-year-old woman who had been suffering for 10 years from amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia resistant to high doses of bromocriptine was hospitalized with erythrocytosis, normal serum erythropoietin (sEpo) levels, and hypertension...
- A crossover study of prolactin changes associated with risperidone and olanzapineCher-Yeang Lin
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1470. 2006
- Quality of life in women with microprolactinoma treated with dopamine agonistsErika Cesar de Oliveira Naliato
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Hyperprolactinemia Unit, Clementino Fraga Filho University Hospital HUCFF, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pituitary 11:247-54. 2008..To evaluate QOL in women with microprolactinomas treated with dopamine agonists, comparing the patients with normal versus those with elevated prolactin levels, and to identify clinical and biochemical influences on patients' QOL...
- Reversible weight gain and prolactin levels--long-term follow-up in childhoodF Galluzzi
Paediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Paediatrics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 18:921-4. 2005..The relationship between PRL secretion and weight change needs to be examined in prospective larger studies...
- Development of a macroprolactinoma in association with hormone replacement therapy in a perimenopausal woman with presumed idiopathic hyperprolactinemiaJohn J Orrego
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Kaiser Permanente, Lafayette, Colorado 80026, USA
Endocr Pract 12:174-8. 2006OBJECTIVE: To describe a 48-year-old woman with presumed idiopathic hyperprolactinemia, who was found to have a macroprolactinoma after receiving hormone replacement therapy for almost 3 years...
- Prevalence of hyperprolactinaemia in a naturalistic cohort of schizophrenia and bipolar outpatients during treatment with typical and atypical antipsychoticsChris Bushe
Eli Lilly and Company Ltd, Basingstoke, UK
J Psychopharmacol 21:768-73. 2007..Clinicians may be helped by the reporting of such categorical data from clinical trials in addition to mean cohort values of prolactin. Long-term hyperprolactinaemia may be associated with clinical sequeLae in some patients...
- Bone mineral density and bone turnover in hyperprolactinaemia of various originsBeata Zadrozna-Sliwka
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Isotope Therapy, Wrocław Medical University, Wrocław
Endokrynol Pol 58:116-22. 2007..There are no data on the bone effects of functional hyperprolactinaemia. The aim was to assess the influence of hyperprolactinaemia of various origins on bone turnover and density in different skeletal sites...
- Significant elevations of prolactin levels in patients who shifted from conventional depot antipsychotics to long-acting risperidoneYing-Ching Lai
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:523-4. 2007
- [Prolactin secretion disturbances in schizophrenic patients treated with 2nd generation antipsychotics--risperidone and olanzapine]Anna Wyszogrodzka-Kucharska
Centralny Szpital Kliniczny UM w Lodzi
Psychiatr Pol 39:1143-55. 2005b>Hyperprolactinemia is an elevation ofprolactin level above the norm in two separate samples. Its prevalence is 0.4%...
- Clinical and laboratory features greatly overlap in patients with macroprolactinemia or monomeric hyperprolactinemiaL Vilar
Division of Endocrinology, Hospital das Clinicas, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Minerva Endocrinol 32:79-86. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and laboratory features of 64 patients with macroprolactinemia and to compare them to those of individuals with monomeric hyperprolactinemia.
- The treatment with cabergoline for 24 month normalizes the quality of seminal fluid in hyperprolactinaemic malesMichele De Rosa
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:307-13. 2006..No information is currently available on the quality of seminal tests in hyperprolactinemia in response to cabergoline treatment...
- Prolactin serum levels in paranoid versus nonparanoid male schizophrenia patients treated with risperidoneMichael Segal
Flügelman s Mazra Mental Health Medical Center, Acre, Israel
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 22:192-6. 2007The frequently seen side effect of hyperprolactinemia thought to be the 'price' paid for the antipsychotic treatment of schizophrenia...
- Differences in the effect of second-generation antipsychotics on prolactinaemia: six weeks open-label trial in female in-patientsJaromir Svestka
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital, Brno, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 28:881-8. 2007..Secondary objectives included identification of dynamics of change in serum prolactin levels and correlations of changes of prolactinaemia with some demographic and clinical parameters...
- Difficulties in the medical treatment of prolactinoma in a patient with schizophrenia--a case report with a review of the literatureSarah Konopelska
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:120-2. 2008
- Giant invasive pituitary prolactinoma with falsely low serum prolactin: the significance of 'hook effect'Maria Fleseriu
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurooncol 79:41-3. 2006..Endocrine evaluation performed at a local hospital showed a moderate hyperprolactinemia 103 ng/ml (normal up to 20 ng/ml)...
- Prolactin-secreting tumors: what's new?Mark E Molitch
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 6:S29-35. 2006Prolactinomas are a common cause of reproductive/sexual dysfunction. Once other causes of hyperprolactinemia have been excluded with a careful history and physical examination, routine chemistries, a pregnancy test and a thyroid-..
- Ovarian dependence for pituitary tumorigenesis in D2 dopamine receptor-deficient miceShane T Hentges
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Endocrinology 143:4536-43. 2002..Ablation of D2R through gene knock-out approaches results in hyperprolactinemia and prolactinomas. This phenotype is more severe and develops more rapidly in female mice...
- [Plasma prolactin level and incidence of adverse endocrinologic effects during therapy with atypical neuroleptics]Mirijam Fric
Bezirksklinikum Gabersee, 83512 Wasserburg a Inn
Psychiatr Prax 30:S97-101. 2003..b>Hyperprolactinemia may be associated with both acute (galactorrhea, amenorrhea, decreased libido etc...
- Development of acromegaly in patients with prolactinomasMarianne Andersen
Department of Endocrinology, Odense University Hospital, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Eur J Endocrinol 149:17-22. 2003..In this study we have focused on patients with prolactinomas who developed acromegaly and acromegalic patients with hyperprolactinaemia. Our hypothesis is that some patients with hyperprolactinaemia may develop clinical acromegaly...
- Quetiapine is not associated with increase in prolactin secretion in contrast to haloperidolMurad Atmaca
Department of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty Hospital, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Arch Med Res 33:562-5. 2002Typical antipsychotic drugs frequently cause hyperprolactinemia and even galactorrhea. In addition, these side effects may result in noncompliance with antipsychotic treatment...
- Re: Prolactin levels and adverse events in patients treated with risperidoneMikhail F Denisov
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:538-40; author reply 540-1. 2002
- Screening for macroprolactinaemia and pituitary imaging studiesOmar M Hauache
Department of Endocrinology, Fleury Diagnostic Center, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:327-31. 2002....
- "Hook effect" in prolactinomas: case report and review of literatureTodd W Frieze
Endocrinology Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, USA
Endocr Pract 8:296-303. 2002..When the hook effect is suspected, dilution testing of prolactin samples may prevent incorrect diagnosis and unnecessary surgical intervention in patients with prolactinomas...
- Antipsychotic medication, prolactin elevation, and ovarian function in women with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorderCarla M Canuso
Commonwealth Research Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Psychiatry Res 111:11-20. 2002Some, but not all, antipsychotics elevate serum prolactin. Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia is thought to account for high rates of menstrual dysfunction and diminished estrogen levels in women with schizophrenia...
- Carmoxirole is able to reduce amisulpride-induced hyperprolactinemia without affecting its central effectGiorgio Marchese
Neuroscienze S.c.a.r.l, Cagliari, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 447:109-14. 2002..017 mg/kg, s.c.). The concurrent administration of carmoxirole or bromocriptine completely reversed the hyperprolactinemia induced by amisulpride (0.5 mg/kg, s.c.) (ID(50)=14.9+/-0.8 mg/kg and 0.81+/-0.03 mg/kg, respectively)...
- ALCOHOL AND HYPERPROLACTINEMIADIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2000..in many human alcoholics are secondary to elevated levels of plasma prolactin (PRL), a condition known as hyperprolactinemia. Owe chronic alcohol intake induces hyperprolactinemia is not yet established...
- Role of OFQ/N in Regulating the Prolactin Response to StressPhyllis Callahan; Fiscal Year: 2007..we will take advantage of this difference to examine the role and mechanisms involved in OFQ/N regulation of hyperprolactinemia and prolactin's role and mechanisms of action in mediating attenuation of the HPA axis response to stress...
- PHYSIOLOGICAL REGULATION OF GONADOTROPIN GENE EXPRESSIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 1993..GnRH pulses are slow in hypothalamic amenorrhea (HA) and hyperprolactinemia and occur at fast frequency in polycystic ovarian disease (PCO)...
- Catenins: A role in spertmatogenesis and sperm maturationMANJEET KUMAR RAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..oligospermia in pathological conditions associated with reduced fertility potential, including varicocele, hyperprolactinemia, diabetes and idiopathic oligospermia...
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Another experiment examines whether postpartum hyperprolactinemia and the age of reproductive experience contribute to the effects of reproductive experience on subsequent ..
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2011..Another experiment examines whether postpartum hyperprolactinemia and the age of reproductive experience contribute to the effects of reproductive experience on subsequent ..
- PROSTATIC DIFFERENTIATION AND SEX HORMONE METABOLISMShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2007..We now showed that, 1) in addition to induction of dysplasia/neoplasia, T+E2 induced hyperprolactinemia and attended inflammation in the LPs, 2) it caused oxidative stress (OS)-related damages directly in the ..
- Prolactin and Estrogens as Mitogens in Prostate CancerNira Ben Jonathan; Fiscal Year: 2002..In rodents, hyperprolactinemia and prostatic hyperplasia are also induced by bisphenol A (BPA), an environmental estrogen...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2009..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn C Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2010..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2007..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- HYPOTHALAMIC CONTROL OF PROLACTINJAMES VOOGT; Fiscal Year: 1993The most common pituitary abnormality is hyperprolactinemia, or the overproduction and secretion of prolactin (PRL) by lactotroph cells in the anterior pituitary. In women this usually results in amenorrhea and galactorrhea...
- Novel Pharmacological Strategies in AutismChristopher McDougle; Fiscal Year: 2009..Both typical and atypical antipsychotics cause hyperprolactinemia. Furthermore, to date, no drug treatment has been developed for the core social impairment of autism...
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..T treatment also causes hyperprolactinemia, which induces inflammation in the LP...
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2007..T treatment also causes hyperprolactinemia, which induces inflammation in the LP...
- Genetic Susceptibility of Estrogen Induced Mammary CancerJames Shull; Fiscal Year: 2007..line that exhibits a significantly reduced propensity to develop E2-induced pituitary tumors and associated hyperprolactinemia. The hypothesis to be tested is that E2-induced mammary carcinogenesis and pituitary tumorigenesis are ..
- Growth-Regulatory Signaling Networks in Breast CancerKay Uwe Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2007..will suggest that targeting Jak2 is a relevant strategy for breast cancer prevention in individuals with hyperprolactinemia or patients that are at risk of developing pregnancy-associated breast cancers that are frequently ErbB2-..
- Growth-Regulatory Signaling Networks in Breast CancerKay Uwe Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2010..will suggest that targeting Jak2 is a relevant strategy for breast cancer prevention in individuals with hyperprolactinemia or patients that are at risk of developing pregnancy-associated breast cancers that are frequently ErbB2-..