Genomes and Genes
Summary: Increased levels of PROLACTIN in the BLOOD, which may be associated with AMENORRHEA and GALACTORRHEA. Relatively common etiologies include PROLACTINOMA, medication effect, KIDNEY FAILURE, granulomatous diseases of the PITUITARY GLAND, and disorders which interfere with the hypothalamic inhibition of prolactin release. Ectopic (non-pituitary) production of prolactin may also occur. (From Joynt, Clinical Neurology, 1992, Ch36, pp77-8)
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- The dopamine receptor D2 genotype is associated with hyperprolactinemiaKeith A Hansen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57105, USA
Fertil Steril 84:711-8. 2005To evaluate patients with hyperprolactinemia for the presence of dopamine receptor D2 polymorphisms.
- Clinical implications of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with schizophrenia spectrum or bipolar spectrum disorders: recent developments and current perspectivesMatthew Byerly
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6363 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:639-61. 2007b>Hyperprolactinemia is increasingly studied as a frequent and potentially important consequence of antipsychotic medication treatment...
- Adjunctive treatment with a dopamine partial agonist, aripiprazole, for antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a placebo-controlled trialJoo Cheol Shim
Clinical Trial Center, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Pharmacology, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University, Busan 614 735, Republic of Korea
Am J Psychiatry 164:1404-10. 2007b>Hyperprolactinemia and associated side effects often occur with antipsychotics...
- Ferritin and prolactin levels in multiple sclerosisRafael Da Costa
Zabludovicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomrner, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 13:91-5. 2011..The disease may present in several clinical forms that are closely associated with disease morbidity. In recent years various environmental and hormonal factors have been implicated in the pathogenesis of autoimmunity...
- Cabergoline versus bromocriptine in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials and meta-analysisVania Dos Santos Nunes
Department of Internal Medicine, Botucatu Medical School, Sao Paulo, State University UNESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pituitary 14:259-65. 2011Cabergoline and bromocriptine are the most used drugs in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia, they are able to normalize the prolactin levels, restore gonadal function and promote tumor reduction in the majority of patients...
- Diagnosis and treatment of hyperprolactinemia: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guidelineShlomo Melmed
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:273-88. 2011The aim was to formulate practice guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hyperprolactinemia.
- Prolactin and autoimmunityShahar Shelly
Department of Medicine B, Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Autoimmun Rev 11:A465-70. 2012..b>Hyperprolactinemia (HPRL) in women present with clinical manifestations of galactorrhea, primary or secondary amenorrhea, ..
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of dopamine agonists: systematic review and meta-analysisOlaf M Dekkers
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, C4 R, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:43-51. 2010Dopamine agonists are the treatment of choice for prolactinomas and symptomatic idiopathic hyperprolactinemia. However, the optimal treatment strategy and treatment duration is not clear in all details.
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemiaJolene R Bostwick
Department of Clinical, Social, and Administrative Sciences, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:64-73. 2009Use of antipsychotic agents has been associated with hyperprolactinemia, or elevated prolactin levels; this hormonal abnormality can interfere with the functioning of reproductive, endocrine, and metabolic systems...
- Clinical and biological characterization of macroprolactinemia with and without prolactin-IgG complexesJean De Schepper
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Endocrinol 149:201-7. 2003..In this study, we analyzed whether the clinical presentation, the hormonal findings and the in vitro lactogenic activity differed between macroprolactinemic patients with and without circulating prolactin (PRL)-IgG complexes...
- Cancer risk in hyperprolactinemia patients: a population-based cohort studyKatarina Berinder
Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Endocrinol 165:209-15. 2011..that prolactin might play a role in tumorigenesis of several human cancers, but data on cancer risk in hyperprolactinemia patients are sparse. The aim of this study was to investigate cancer risk in hyperprolactinemia patients...
- A comparison of bromocriptine & cabergoline on fertility outcome of hyperprolactinemic infertile women undergoing intrauterine inseminationShahdokht Motazedian
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Shiraz, Iran
Indian J Med Res 131:670-4. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of bromocriptine versus cabergoline on pregnancy in hyperprolactinaemic infertile women...
- Development of anti-PRL (prolactin) autoantibodies by homologous PRL in rats: a model for macroprolactinemiaNaoki Hattori
Department of Pharmacology, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi City, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Endocrinology 148:2465-70. 2007Macroprolactinemia is hyperprolactinemia in humans mainly due to anti-PRL (prolactin) autoantibodies and is a pitfall for the differential diagnosis of hyperprolactinemia. Despite its high prevalence, the pathogenesis remains unclear...
- Clinical practice. ProlactinomaJanet A Schlechte
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2035-41. 2003
- Identification of prolactin as a novel immunomodulator on the expression of co-stimulatory molecules and cytokine secretions on T and B human lymphocytesKarina Chavez-Rueda
Laboratorio de Auto inmunidad, Unidad de Investigación Médica en Inmunología, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, D F, Mexico
Clin Immunol 116:182-91. 2005..In contrast, B cell culture did not show any alteration by adding or blocking PRL in the expression of CD40 and CD86 in both groups: healthy subject and hyperprolactinemic patients...
- Macroprolactinaemia in patients with hyperprolactinaemia: composition of macroprolactin and stability during long-term follow-upNaoki Hattori
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ritsumeikan University, Shiga, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 73:792-7. 2010..We also investigated whether we could predict the composition of macroprolactin based on the ratio of polyethylene glycol (PEG)-precipitable PRL...
- Hyperprolactinemia and luteal insufficiency in infertile patients with mild and minimal endometriosisJ S Cunha-Filho
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, , Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 33:216-20. 2001..Luteal insufficiency and altered prolactin secretion were associated with endometriosis, and could be important mechanisms causing infertility in this group of patients...
- Autoimmunity in hepatitis C virus carriers: involvement of ferritin and prolactinGabriel M Sousa
Programa de Pós Graduação em Imunologia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Autoimmun Rev 10:210-3. 2011..Ferritin and prolactin have been associated with active autoimmune diseases as systemic lupus erythematosus and autoantibody production, but have been little studied in viral infections that present autoimmunity...
- Pituitary surgery for small prolactinomas as an alternative to treatment with dopamine agonistsMuriel Babey
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Berne, Inselspital, 3010, Berne, Switzerland
Pituitary 14:222-30. 2011..5 months. Patients with small prolactinomas can safely consider pituitary surgery in a specialized centre with good chance of long-term remission as an alternative to long-term DA therapy...
- Characterization of macroprolactin and assessment of markers of autoimmunity in macroprolactinaemic patientsLucille Kavanagh-Wright
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:599-605. 2009....
- Reproductive disturbances, pituitary lactotrope adenomas, and mammary gland tumors in transgenic female mice producing high levels of human chorionic gonadotropinSusana B Rulli
Department of Physiology, University of Turku, Finland
Endocrinology 143:4084-95. 2002..studies and electron microscopy demonstrated lactotrope origin for the adenomas, associated with severe hyperprolactinemia. The mammary glands of TG females showed marked lobuloalveolar development followed by mammary tumors with ..
- Clinical relevance of macroprolactinJames Gibney
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 62:633-43. 2005
- Macroprolactinaemia: prevalence and aetiologies in a large group of hospital workersNaoki Hattori
Department of Pharmacology, Ritsumeikan University, 1 1 1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 71:702-8. 2009..The objective of the study was to determine the prevalence of macroprolactinaemia in a healthy population and to investigate the mechanisms underlying the development of macroprolactin...
- Hyperprolactinemia associated with psychotropics--a reviewSubramoniam Madhusoodanan
St John s Episcopal Hospital, Rockaway, New York 11691, USA
Hum Psychopharmacol 25:281-97. 2010Different classes of psychotropics can cause hyperprolactinemia to varying degrees. Among antipsychotics, typical agents and risperidone are the most frequent and significant offenders...
- Endocrine and metabolic adverse effects of psychotropic medications in children and adolescentsChristoph U Correll
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, 75 59 263rd Street, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:771-91. 2006..Endocrine and metabolic adverse effects are among the most concerning adverse effects of commonly used psychotropic medications...
- Resistance to cabergoline as compared with bromocriptine in hyperprolactinemia: prevalence, clinical definition, and therapeutic strategyA Di Sarno
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5256-61. 2001..treatment, we studied 120 consecutive de novo patients (56 macroadenoma, 60 microadenoma, 4 nontumoral hyperprolactinemia) treated with cabergoline (CAB) compared with 87 consecutive de novo patients (28 macroadenoma, 44 ..
- Individualized high-dose cabergoline therapy for hyperprolactinemic infertility in women with micro- and macroprolactinomasMasami Ono
Department of Medicine II, Institute of Clinical Endocrinology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2672-9. 2010..However, the rate of cabergoline-induced pregnancy in women with prolactinoma remains unknown. Also unknown is whether cabergoline can control tumor growth and thereby achieve successful pregnancy in patients with macroprolactinomas...
- Cabergoline influences ovarian stimulation in hyperprolactinaemic patients with polycystic ovary syndromeE Papaleo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, University of Milan, Italy
Hum Reprod 16:2263-6. 2001..It is suggested that a reduction of the dopamine inhibitory effect might raise both prolactin (PRL) and LH...
- Positron emission tomography measurement of dopamine D₂ receptor occupancy in the pituitary and cerebral cortex: relation to antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemiaRyosuke Arakawa
Molecular Neuroimaging Group, Molecular Imaging Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba, Japan
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1131-7. 2010b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common side effect of antipsychotic drugs used in the treatment of schizophrenia...
- Prolactin and neuroimmunomodulation: in vitro and in vivo observationsI C Chikanza
Department of Rheumatology, St Bartholomews, London, United Kingdom
Ann N Y Acad Sci 876:119-30. 1999..Hypoprolactinemia impairs immune function while hyperprolactinemia enhances active systemic lupus erythematosus, Reiter's disease, juvenile and adult rheumatoid arthritis (RA),..
- Effects of cabergoline on pregnancy and embryo-fetal development: retrospective study on 103 pregnancies and a review of the literatureGraciela Stalldecker
Departamento de Neuroendocrinologia, Sociedad Argentina de Endocrinología y Metabolismo, Diaz Velez 3889, 1200 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Pituitary 13:345-50. 2010..Observational, retrospective and multicenter study on 103 pregnancies in 90 women with hyperprolactinemia. All patients were under CAB at conception. Serum prolactin at baseline was between 30 and 1921 ng/ml...
- Low dose cabergoline for hyperprolactinaemia is not associated with clinically significant valvular heart diseaseAmmar Wakil
Michael White Diabetes Centre, Hull Royal Infirmary, Brocklehurst Building, 220 236 Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 2RW, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 159:R11-4. 2008..However, the dose of cabergoline used to treat hyperprolactinaemia is considerably less than that used in Parkinson's disease...
- Cabergoline therapy and the risk of cardiac valve regurgitation in patients with hyperprolactinemia: a meta-analysis from clinical studiesF Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 31:1119-23. 2008..Whether these drugs might be harmful for patients with hyperprolactinemia is still unsettled...
- The influences of hyperprolactinemia and obesity on cardiovascular risk markers: effects of cabergoline therapyOmar Serri
CHUM Research Center, Notre Dame Hospital, Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:366-70. 2006..In view of the association of hyperprolactinaemia with insulin resistance, we hypothesized that patients with hyperprolactinaemia may present increased cardiovascular risk markers...
- Prolactin and autoimmunity: hyperprolactinemia correlates with serositis and anemia in SLE patientsHedi Orbach
Department of Medicine B, Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 42:189-98. 2012Evidence points to an association of prolactin to autoimmune diseases. We examined the correlation between hyperprolactinemia and disease manifestations and activity in a large patient cohort...
- Research resource: Haploinsufficiency of receptor activity-modifying protein-2 (RAMP2) causes reduced fertility, hyperprolactinemia, skeletal abnormalities, and endocrine dysfunction in miceMahita Kadmiel
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:1244-53. 2011..Ramp2(+/-) female mice also exhibit hyperprolactinemia during pregnancy and in basal conditions...
- Heterogeneity of big-big hPRL in hyperprolactinemiaT Tanaka
Endocrine Research Laboratory, National Children's Medical Research Center, Tokyo, Japan
Horm Metab Res 21:84-8. 1989..The data demonstrated the existence of at least two forms of big-big hPRL in the serum and indicated that radioactive big-big hPRL may be different from these hPRLs in the serum...
- Hyperprolactinemia and infertilityAmal Shibli-Rahhal
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 40:837-46. 2011..Clinically significant tumor enlargement during pregnancy is uncommon and dependent on tumor size and prepregnancy treatment...
- The effect of the menopause on prolactin levels in patients with hyperprolactinaemiaS Karunakaran
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 54:295-300. 2001..Females who pass through pregnancy may have a higher chance of normalizing their prolactin levels. The menopause is an indication for reassessment of the need to continue to treat hyperprolactinaemia and microprolactinoma...
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and hyperprolactinemia are distinct entitiesRoberpaulo Barboza Filho
Endocrinology and Neurology Clinics CLINEN, Brasilia, Brazil
Gynecol Endocrinol 23:267-72. 2007The aims of the present study were to identify the cause of hyperprolactinemia in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and to compare prolactin (PRL) levels between PCOS women without hyperprolactinemia and women with insulin resistance and ..
- [Hyperprolactinemia in mentally ill patients]Manuel Maria de Carvalho
Departamento de Psiquiatria e Saúde Mental, Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisbon, Portugal
Acta Med Port 24:1005-12. 2011b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common, but neglected, adverse effect of conventional antipschycotics and of some of the atypical antipshycotics...
- Hyperprolactinaemia in 271 women: up to three decades of clinical follow-upKatarina Berinder
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetology, Karolinska University Hospital and Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:450-5. 2005..To characterize women with hyperprolactinaemia at diagnosis and to assess the effect of treatment after long duration of the disease...
- Clinical and laboratory features greatly overlap in patients with macroprolactinemia or monomeric hyperprolactinemiaL Vilar
Division of Endocrinology, Hospital das Clinicas, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Minerva Endocrinol 32:79-86. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and laboratory features of 64 patients with macroprolactinemia and to compare them to those of individuals with monomeric hyperprolactinemia.
- Hyperprolactinemia and immunohistochemical expression of intracellular prolactin and prolactin receptor in primary central nervous system tumors and their relationship with cellular replicationCarolina Garcia Soares Leães
Department of Pathology of Fundação Faculdade Federal de Ciências Médicas de Porto Alegre, Center of Neuroendocrinology Complexo Hospitalar Santa Casa of Porto Alegre RS, Rua Dona Mimi Moro, 40 90480 050, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Brain Tumor Pathol 24:41-6. 2007The role of prolactin (PRL) in the CNS remains uncertain. We evaluated the presence of hyperprolactinemia, intracellular prolactin (ICP), and prolactin receptor (PRL-R) in primary CNS tumors, and their relationship with cellular ..
- Hyperprolactinemia and delusion of pregnancyNiraj Ahuja
Wallsend Community Mental Health Team, Sir G B Hunter Memorial Hospital, The Green Wallsend NE28 7PD, UK
Psychopathology 41:65-8. 2008..who presented with delusion of twin pregnancy a month after admission, which temporally correlated with hyperprolactinemia secondary to antipsychotic medication...
- Ethanol induces hyperprolactinemia by increasing prolactin release and lactotrope growth in female ratsAlok De
Program of Endocrinology, Center of Alcohol Studies and Department of Animal Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901 8525, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1420-9. 2002Alcohol drinking is known to cause hyperprolactinemia in both humans and laboratory animals. The mechanism by which alcoholism causes hyperprolactinemia is not known...
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia and delusion of pregnancyNiraj Ahuja
Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Trust, UK
Psychosomatics 49:163-7. 2008The authors describe 12 patients with antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia. Six patients had erroneous ideas of being pregnant (four delusional and two non-delusional) temporally associated with hyperprolactinemia and resolving as ..
- Increased incidence of autoimmune thyroiditis in patients with antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemiaBurç C Poyraz
Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Psychiatry, Aksaray, 34301, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:667-72. 2008..However, the effects of antipsychotic drug-induced hyperprolactinemia (HPRL) on development of thyroid autoimmunity and also of other autoimmune phenomena have not been ..
- Gross variability in the detection of prolactin in sera containing big big prolactin (macroprolactin) by commercial immunoassaysThomas P Smith
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5410-5. 2002..sera identified, 71 normalized following treatment of sera with polyethylene glycol, indicating that 24% of hyperprolactinemia could be accounted for by macroprolactin...
- Incidence and clinical significance of elevated macroprolactin levels in patients with hyperprolactinemiaAbel Alfonso
Department of Medicine, Endocrinology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Endocr Pract 12:275-80. 2006..To determine the prevalence and clinical characteristics of patients with macroprolactinemia in an endocrinology practice at a tertiary care military medical center in the United States...
- Idiopathic granulomatous mastitis associated with risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemiaChih Hsun Lin
Cheng Hsin General Hospital, Department of Anatomic Pathology, Taipei, Taiwan
Diagn Pathol 7:2. 2012..The etiology and treatment options of IGM remain controversial. Previous case reports have suggested that hyperprolactinemia may be associated with IGM...
- Macroprolactinemia, like hyperprolactinemia, may promote platelet activationInan Anaforoglu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Endocrine 37:294-300. 2010..Although it often accompanies hyperprolactinemia, findings conflict concerning its clinical impact in macroprolactinemia...
- Persistence of macroprolactinemia due to antiprolactin autoantibody before, during, and after pregnancy in a woman with systemic lupus erythematosusA Leaños-Miranda
Laboratory of Autoimmunity, Immunology Research Unit, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico City, 06725 Mexico
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2619-24. 2001..The clinical features of the patient included idiopathic hyperprolactinemia without clinical symptoms such as amenorrhea and galactorrhea before pregnancy...
- A rare cause of hyperprolactinemia: persistent trigeminal artery with stalk-section effectG Ekinci
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Marmara University, Tophanelioglu Caddesi 13/15, Altunizade Istanbul 81190, Turkey
Eur Radiol 11:648-50. 2001..We report a case of PTA compressing the left side of the pituitary gland and stalk, in a patient with elevated blood prolactin level...
- Ten-year clinical follow-up of a cohort of 51 patients with macroprolactinemia establishes it as a benign variantI R Wallace
Regional Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BA, UK
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3268-71. 2010Macroprolactinemia is a common finding in patients with hyperprolactinemia. There are no published long-term follow-up studies.
- Comparison of cabergoline and bromocriptine in patients with asymptomatic incidental hyperprolactinemia undergoing ICSI-ETMustafa Bahceci
Department of Infertility and Reproductive Medicine, Istanbul German Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Gynecol Endocrinol 26:505-8. 2010..3% vs. 2.5%; p = 0.0004). In conclusion, we found that cabergoline and bromocriptine showed no differences in IVF outcomes and pregnancy results in patients with AIH...
- Hyperprolactinemia-related adverse events associated with antipsychotic treatment in children and adolescentsJeanette M Jerrell
Department of Neuropsychiatry, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, 3555 Harden Street Ext, CEB 301, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
J Adolesc Health 45:70-6. 2009To characterize factors related to the development of hyperprolactinemia and the ensuing reproductive/sexual adverse events in children and adolescents treated with antipsychotic and other psychotropic agents, and the additional risk ..
- Reversible weight gain and prolactin levels--long-term follow-up in childhoodF Galluzzi
Paediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Paediatrics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 18:921-4. 2005..The relationship between PRL secretion and weight change needs to be examined in prospective larger studies...
- Diagnosis and management of hyperprolactinemiaOmar Serri
Division of Endocrinology, University of Montreal, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 169:575-81. 2003Prolactin is a pituitary hormone that plays a pivotal role in a variety of reproductive functions. Hyperprolactinemia is a common condition that can result from a number of causes, including medication use and hypothyroidism as well as ..
- Latent prolactinoma on MRI-selective venous sampling and trans-sphenoidal microsurgical treatmentH Nakagawa
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
Neurol Res 23:691-6. 2001..cavernous sinus, inferior petrosal sinus, jugular vein and peripheral vein was performed in 13 patients with hyperprolactinemia in whom dynamic magnetic resonance imaging failed to reveal pituitary adenoma...
- Circulating nitric oxide changes throughout the menstrual cycle in healthy women and women affected by pathological hyperprolactinemia on dopamine agonist therapyM Giusti
Centro di Studio dei Tumori Ipofisari, University of Genova, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 16:407-12. 2002..Fifty women (aged 32.5 +/- 1.2 years) affected by pathological hyperprolactinemia (prolactin (PRL)-secreting microadenoma, 63%; idiopathic, 19%; 'empty sella', 12%; and PRL-secreting ..
- Macroprolactinemia: a new cause of hyperprolactinemiaNaoki Hattori
Department of Pharmacology, Kansai Medical University, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 92:171-7. 2003b>Hyperprolactinemia is not only seen in pregnancy but also in several pathological conditions such as prolactin (PRL) secreting pituitary adenoma (prolactinoma), intracranial tumors compressing the pituitary stalk or hypothalamus, and PRL ..
- Anti-prolactin (PRL) autoantibody-binding sites (epitopes) on PRL molecule in macroprolactinemiaN Hattori
Department of Pharmacology, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi City, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
J Endocrinol 190:287-93. 2006..consists of PRL with a molecular mass greater than 100 kDa, has been demonstrated to be associated with hyperprolactinemia. We previously reported that anti-PRL autoantibody is the major cause of macroprolactinemia...
- Guidelines of the Pituitary Society for the diagnosis and management of prolactinomasFelipe F Casanueva
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Division, Santiago de Compostela University, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:265-73. 2006....
- Macroprolactinemia revisited: a study on 106 patientsSophie Vallette-Kasic
Department of Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Timone, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:581-8. 2002..Among 1,106 consecutive patients investigated for hyperprolactinemia in our center over a 10-yr period, serum PRL chromatography was performed in 368 cases because of discordant ..
- Cabergoline in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia: a study in 455 patientsJ Verhelst
Department of Endocrinology, Middelheim Ziekenhuis, Antwerpen, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2518-22. 1999..a new long-acting dopamine agonist that is very effective and well tolerated in patients with pathological hyperprolactinemia. The aim of this study was to examine, in a very large number of hyperprolactinemic patients, the ability to ..
- Using aripiprazole to resolve antipsychotic-induced symptomatic hyperprolactinemia: a pilot studyBun Hee Lee
Department of Psychiatry, Korea University Ansan Hospital, College of Medicine, 516 Go Jan Dong, Ansan, Kyunggi Do 425 020, Korea
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:714-7. 2006To assess the effectiveness of substituting aripiprazole for other antipsychotic drugs taken by stable schizophrenic patients suffering from antipsychotic agent-induced symptomatic hyperprolactinemia.
- Multiple autoimmune disease in a patient with hyperprolactinemiaJuan Manuel Anaya
Cellular and Immunogenetics Unit, Corporacion para Investigaciones Biologicas, Universidad del Rosario, Medellin, Colombia
Isr Med Assoc J 7:740-1. 2005
- Pregnancy outcomes following cabergoline treatment: extended results from a 12-year observational studyAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:66-71. 2008..Although cabergoline has been used to treat hyperprolactinaemia since the mid-1990s, safety data related to maternal and foetal exposure to this agent are still limited...
- Surgical treatment of prolactin-secreting pituitary adenomas: early results and long-term outcomeMarco Losa
Pituitary Unit, Department of Neurosurgery, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Universita Vita Salute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3180-6. 2002..Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia occurred in 13 of the 77 cured patients (16.9%) during a mean follow-up of 50.2 +/- 3...
- Detection of macroprolactinemia with the polyethylene glycol precipitation test in systemic lupus erythematosus patients with hyperprolactinemiaA Leaños-Miranda
Laboratory of Autoimmunity, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico City
Lupus 10:340-5. 2001..glycol (PEG) for the detection of macroprolactinemia in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients with hyperprolactinemia. Serum samples from SLE patients were examined...
- Effects of hyperprolactinemia on testosterone production in rat Leydig cellsW J Huang
Institute of Clinical Research, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Cell Biochem 80:313-20. 2001The pathogenesis of hyperprolactinemia (hyperPRL) induced hypogonadism has been suggested to be related with a dysfunction of hypothalamus-pituitary-testis axis...
- Prolactin's role in the pathogenesis of the antiphospholipid syndromeS Praprotnik
Department of Rheumatology, University Clinical Center Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Lupus 19:1515-9. 2010..05). The data indirectly imply that prolactin may play a role in the pathogenesis of antiphospholipid syndrome, especially antiphospholipid syndrome-related reproductive failure...
- Hyperprolactinemia: different clinical expression in childhoodL Saranac
Pediatric Clinic, University Clinical Center, Nis, Serbia endoljilja yahoo com
Horm Res Paediatr 73:187-92. 2010b>Hyperprolactinemia is the most common disturbance in pituitary gland secretion. Functional diversity of prolactin action is responsible for different initial clinical expressions of hyperprolactinemia.
- Experimental estrogen-induced hyperprolactinemia results in bone-related hearing loss in the guinea pigKathleen C Horner
CNRS UMR 6153 1147 INRA, Universite Paul Cezanne, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, Campus St Jerome, Cases 351 352, Ave Escadrille Normandie Niemen, 13397, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1224-32. 2007..Neuropsychopharmacology 26: 135-138, 2002) has earlier described hyperprolactinemia in some patients presenting inner ear dysfunction...
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a cross-sectional surveyErik Johnsen
Division of Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital, Sandviken, Bergen, Norway
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:686-90. 2008To investigate the prevalence of hyperprolactinemia and common hyperprolactinemia-related symptoms and explore the association between them in patients using a modern antipsychotic drug regimen and, in addition, investigate the prevalence ..
- Relapse of hyperprolactinemia after transsphenoidal surgery for microprolactinoma: lessons from long-term follow-upJohn A Thomson
University Department of Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland G4 0SF, UK
Neurosurgery 50:36-9; discussion 39-40. 2002The long-term results of transsphenoidal surgery for microprolactinoma, with particular reference to the question of permanence of relapse of hyperprolactinemia after biochemical cure, are examined.
- Surgical outcomes in hyporesponsive prolactinomas: analysis of patients with resistance or intolerance to dopamine agonistsD Kojo Hamilton
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
Pituitary 8:53-60. 2005..Surgery for prolactinoma patients is usually reserved for those who are intolerant of or have an inadequate response to medication. We report the results of surgical treatment in these patients...
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of long-term cabergoline therapyJ Kharlip
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2428-36. 2009Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after cabergoline withdrawal ranges widely from 36 to 80%. The Pituitary Society recommends withdrawal of cabergoline in selected patients.
- A randomized, crossover comparison of herbal medicine and bromocriptine against risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with schizophreniaHai Ning Yuan
Laboratory of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Beijing Anding Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:264-370. 2008b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common adverse effect that occurs as a result of antipsychotic therapies, which often results in discontinuation...
- Prolactin and autoimmunityAnnamaria De Bellis
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery F Magrassi, A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, via Pansini N 5, 80131, Napoli, Italy
Pituitary 8:25-30. 2005..b>Hyperprolactinemia has been described in the active phase of some non organ-specific autoimmune diseases, as systemic lupus ..
- Clinical Review#: Potential cardiac valve effects of dopamine agonists in hyperprolactinemiaElena Valassi
Neuroendocrine Unit, Bulfinch 457B, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1025-33. 2010..the terms "dopamine agonists," "cabergoline," "bromocriptine," "pergolide," "prolactin," "prolactinoma," or "hyperprolactinemia." All publications from 1950 to August, 2008, were screened for use in this review...
- Hyperprolactinemia after low dose of amisulprideMiloslav Kopecek
Psychiatric Centre Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 25:419-22. 2004Amisulpride in antipsychotic doses can induce hyperprolactinemia. The aim of this study was to prove whether the same is true for low doses of amisulpride.
- Predictors of remission of hyperprolactinaemia after long-term withdrawal of cabergoline therapyAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:426-33. 2007..Remission rates of 76, 69.5 and 64.3% have been reported in patients with nontumoural hyperprolactinaemia (NTH), microprolactinoma and macroprolactinoma, respectively, 2-5 years after cabergoline (CAB) withdrawal...
- Reversal of symptomatic hyperprolactinemia by aripiprazoleRebecca Wahl
Am J Psychiatry 162:1542-3. 2005
- Identification of mammosomatotrophs in the turkey hen pituitary: increased abundance during hyperprolactinemiaR Ramesh
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Endocrinology 139:781-6. 1998We have previously reported that the hyperprolactinemia in incubating turkey hens is associated with recruitment of lactotrophs in the pituitary gland...
- Use of the dopamine agonists bromocriptine and cabergoline in the management of risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in patients with psychotic disordersS R Tollin
Department of Medicine, Winthrop University Hospital and the State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Mineola, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 23:765-70. 2000..In several reports, clinically significant hyperprolactinemia has been reported in patients on this agent...
- Hyperprolactinemia in patients on antipsychotic drugs causes ADP-stimulated platelet activation that might explain the increased risk for venous thromboembolism: pilot studyHenri Wallaschofski
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:479-83. 2003..Most antipsychotic drugs act as dopamine antagonists, and some of them cause hyperprolactinemia. Hyperprolactinemia has recently been found to cause increased platelet activation via potentiating ADP ..
- Management of hyperprolactinemia in patients receiving antipsychoticsKaren K Miller
Neuroendocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
CNS Spectr 9:28-32. 2004b>Hyperprolactinemia is increasingly prevalent in patients with common psychiatric disorders due to increasing prescriptions of antipsychotics, particularly newer atypical neuroleptics, in these patients...
- Amisulpride-induced hyperprolactinemia is reversible following discontinuationThomas Paparrigopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, Athens University Medical School, Eginition Hospital, 74, Vas Sofias Ave 115 28 Athens, Greece
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:92-6. 2007..In the present study the effect of amisulpride on plasma levels of prolactin and the reversibility of this untoward side effect were investigated...
- Medication-induced hyperprolactinemiaMark E Molitch
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:1050-7. 2005Medication use is a common cause of hyperprolactinemia, and it is important to differentiate this cause from pathologic causes, such as prolactinomas...
- Macroprolactinemia in childhood and adolescence: a cause of asymptomatic hyperprolactinemiaH L Fideleff
Endocrinology Unit, Hospital T Alvarez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Horm Res 53:16-9. 2000..We studied 5 patients (1 male and 4 females) aged 11.6-18 years with incidentally discovered asymptomatic hyperprolactinemia. Patients underwent repeated evaluations for a period of 3 months to 8 years, and their PRL levels remained ..
- Usefulness of bromocriptine in the treatment of amisulpride-induced hyperprolactinemia: a case reportN Bliesener
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:189-91. 2004
- Hyperprolactinemia affects spermiogenesis in adult male ratsM Aleem
Department of Urology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 28:39-48. 2005The mechanisms underlying the antifertility effects of hyperprolactinemia have yet to be established in an appropriate experimental model...
- Drug insight: Cabergoline and bromocriptine in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia in men and womenAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2:200-10. 2006..Fewer results are available for men than for women, but there is no evidence that men are less responsive to dopamine agonists than are women...
- Sexual dysfunction in women with hyperprolactinemia: a pilot study reportPinar Kadioglu
Department of Internal Medicine Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
J Urol 174:1921-5. 2005b>Hyperprolactinemia is a common hormonal disorder in women that may affect the phases of female sexual function (FSD). We investigated sexual function in patients with hyperprolactinemia.
- A prospective study of hyperprolactinemia in children and adolescents treated with atypical antipsychotic agentsEma Saito
Department of Psychiatry Research, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 14:350-8. 2004..We hypothesized: (1) risperidone would be associated with hyperprolactinemia most frequently, and (2) postpubertal females may be at higher risk of prolactin elevation and associated ..
- Effect of hyperprolactinemia in male patients consulting for sexual dysfunctionGiovanni Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 4:1485-93. 2007..The physiological role of prolactin (PRL) in male sexual function has not been completely clarified...
- Variants of the dopamine D2 receptor gene and risperidone-induced hyperprolactinemia in children and adolescentsChadi A Calarge
The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:373-82. 2009To investigate the association between hyperprolactinemia and variants of the dopamine D2 receptor (DRD2) gene in children and adolescents in long-term treatment with risperidone.
- Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia and sexual dysfunctionMichael T Compton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Emory West Campus, 1256 Briarcliff Road, Suite 165, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 36:143-64. 2002This overview of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia provides a summary of the current literature in relation to conventional antipsychotic agents and the five atypical antipsychotics currently available in the United States--..
- [Drug-induced hyperprolactinemia: a case-non-case study from the national pharmacovigilance database]Abir Petit
Centre Regional de Pharmacovigilance, CHU, Reims, France
Therapie 58:159-63. 2003..It is thus necessary to harmonise the SPC and encourage health professionals to notify all adverse reactions to their pharmacovigilance centres...
- ALCOHOL AND HYPERPROLACTINEMIADIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2000..in many human alcoholics are secondary to elevated levels of plasma prolactin (PRL), a condition known as hyperprolactinemia. Owe chronic alcohol intake induces hyperprolactinemia is not yet established...
- Role of OFQ/N in Regulating the Prolactin Response to StressPhyllis Callahan; Fiscal Year: 2007..we will take advantage of this difference to examine the role and mechanisms involved in OFQ/N regulation of hyperprolactinemia and prolactin's role and mechanisms of action in mediating attenuation of the HPA axis response to stress...
- PHYSIOLOGICAL REGULATION OF GONADOTROPIN GENE EXPRESSIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 1993..GnRH pulses are slow in hypothalamic amenorrhea (HA) and hyperprolactinemia and occur at fast frequency in polycystic ovarian disease (PCO)...
- Catenins: A role in spertmatogenesis and sperm maturationMANJEET KUMAR RAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..oligospermia in pathological conditions associated with reduced fertility potential, including varicocele, hyperprolactinemia, diabetes and idiopathic oligospermia...
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Another experiment examines whether postpartum hyperprolactinemia and the age of reproductive experience contribute to the effects of reproductive experience on subsequent ..
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2011..Another experiment examines whether postpartum hyperprolactinemia and the age of reproductive experience contribute to the effects of reproductive experience on subsequent ..
- PROSTATIC DIFFERENTIATION AND SEX HORMONE METABOLISMShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2007..We now showed that, 1) in addition to induction of dysplasia/neoplasia, T+E2 induced hyperprolactinemia and attended inflammation in the LPs, 2) it caused oxidative stress (OS)-related damages directly in the ..
- Prolactin and Estrogens as Mitogens in Prostate CancerNira Ben Jonathan; Fiscal Year: 2002..In rodents, hyperprolactinemia and prostatic hyperplasia are also induced by bisphenol A (BPA), an environmental estrogen...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2009..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn C Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2010..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2007..Slow frequency pulses are present in hypothalamic amenorrhea and hyperprolactinemia. In contrast, persistently rapid GnRH pulse frequency is a feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- HYPOTHALAMIC CONTROL OF PROLACTINJAMES VOOGT; Fiscal Year: 1993The most common pituitary abnormality is hyperprolactinemia, or the overproduction and secretion of prolactin (PRL) by lactotroph cells in the anterior pituitary. In women this usually results in amenorrhea and galactorrhea...
- Novel Pharmacological Strategies in AutismChristopher McDougle; Fiscal Year: 2009..Both typical and atypical antipsychotics cause hyperprolactinemia. Furthermore, to date, no drug treatment has been developed for the core social impairment of autism...
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..T treatment also causes hyperprolactinemia, which induces inflammation in the LP...
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2007..T treatment also causes hyperprolactinemia, which induces inflammation in the LP...
- Genetic Susceptibility of Estrogen Induced Mammary CancerJames Shull; Fiscal Year: 2007..line that exhibits a significantly reduced propensity to develop E2-induced pituitary tumors and associated hyperprolactinemia. The hypothesis to be tested is that E2-induced mammary carcinogenesis and pituitary tumorigenesis are ..
- Growth-Regulatory Signaling Networks in Breast CancerKay Uwe Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2007..will suggest that targeting Jak2 is a relevant strategy for breast cancer prevention in individuals with hyperprolactinemia or patients that are at risk of developing pregnancy-associated breast cancers that are frequently ErbB2-..
- Growth-Regulatory Signaling Networks in Breast CancerKay Uwe Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2010..will suggest that targeting Jak2 is a relevant strategy for breast cancer prevention in individuals with hyperprolactinemia or patients that are at risk of developing pregnancy-associated breast cancers that are frequently ErbB2-..