- Osteoprotegerin ligand is a cytokine that regulates osteoclast differentiation and activation
D L Lacey
Department of Pathology, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, California 91320 1789, USA
Cell 93:165-76. 1998
..and short-term administration into normal adult mice results in osteoclast activation associated with systemic hypercalcemia. These data suggest that OPGL is an osteoclast differentiation and activation factor...
- Clinical review: Rare causes of hypercalcemia
Thomas P Jacobs
Columbia University Medical Center, 161 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6316-22. 2005
Although hypercalcemia is usually caused by primary hyperparathyroidism or malignancy, a number of other conditions can be important to consider...
- Mutations in CYP24A1 and idiopathic infantile hypercalcemia
Karl P Schlingmann
University Children s Hospital, Muenster, Germany
N Engl J Med 365:410-21. 2011
..for the optimal dose are still debated, in part owing to the increased incidence of idiopathic infantile hypercalcemia in Britain in the 1950s during a period of high vitamin D supplementation in fortified milk products...
- A parathyroid hormone-related protein implicated in malignant hypercalcemia: cloning and expression
L J Suva
Science 237:893-6. 1987
Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy is a common complication of lung and certain other cancers. The hypercalcemia results from the actions of tumor factors on bone and kidney...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein purified from a human lung cancer cell line
J M Moseley
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:5048-52. 1987
..The purified PTH-related protein had a specific biological activity approximately equal to 6 times greater than that of bovine PTH(1-34). The PTH-related protein may have a role in the syndrome of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy.
- Receptor activator of NF-kappa B ligand inhibition suppresses bone resorption and hypercalcemia but does not affect host immune responses to influenza infection
Robert E Miller
Department of Cancer Biology, Amgen Washington, 1201 Amgen Court West, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
J Immunol 179:266-74. 2007
..by RANK-Fc on osteoclast function was determined by inhibition of vitamin D(3) (1,25(OH)(2)D(3))-induced hypercalcemia. Mice were injected with a single dose of 0, 10, 100, 500, or 1000 microg of RANK-Fc; 100 microg of OPG-Fc; or ..
- Increased cardiovascular mortality and normalized serum calcium in patients with mild hypercalcemia followed up for 25 years
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Surgery 130:978-85. 2001
BACKGROUND: The natural history of mild hyperparathyroidism is incompletely clarified. METHODS: Consistent hypercalcemia was found in 172 patients (aged 28-86 years) participating in population-based screenings in both 1969 and 1971...
- Mutations in the human Ca(2+)-sensing receptor gene cause familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia and neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism
M R Pollak
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Cell 75:1297-303. 1993
We demonstrate that mutations in the human Ca(2+)-sensing receptor gene cause familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) and neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism (NSHPT), two inherited conditions characterized by altered calcium ..
- Meta-analysis: vitamin D compounds in chronic kidney disease
Suetonia C Palmer
Department of Medicine, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Ann Intern Med 147:840-53. 2007
..Vitamin D compounds are widely used to prevent and treat secondary hyperparathyroidism...
- Clinical practice. Hypercalcemia associated with cancer
Andrew F Stewart
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh 15213, USA
N Engl J Med 352:373-9. 2005
- Vitamin D intoxication
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Istanbul Medeniyet University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 54:93-8. 2012
..symptoms and findings associated with VDI are closely related to serum calcium concentration and duration of hypercalcemia. In patients with VDI, hypercalcemia, normal or high serum phosphorus levels, normal or low levels of alkaline ..
- Investigation of hypercalcemia
David B Endres
Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Biochem 45:954-63. 2012
b>Hypercalcemia is a relatively common clinical finding...
- Vitamin D intoxication with severe hypercalcemia due to manufacturing and labeling errors of two dietary supplements made in the United States
Division of Endocrinology, Beth Israel Medical Center, 317 East 17th Street, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:3603-8. 2011
..This may be attributable to an increase in vitamin D supplement intake due to the findings that deficiency is common and has been associated with a number of disease states...
- Acute renal failure and hypercalcemia
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Ren Fail 28:153-9. 2006
b>Hypercalcemia can result from excessive bone resorption, renal calcium retention, excessive intestinal calcium absorption, or a combination of these conditions...
- Posterior reversible encephalopathic syndrome due to severe hypercalcemia in AIDS
Department of Infectious Diseases, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 37:524-6. 2005
..Rare case reports describe association with hypercalcemia. We present a patient with AIDS, Mycobacterium avium intracellulare related hypercalcemia with posterior ..
- Cancer cells responsible for humoral hypercalcemia express mRNA encoding a secreted form of ODF/TRANCE that induces osteoclast formation
Department of Biochemistry, Iwate Medical University School of Dentistry, Uchimaru 19 1, Morioka, Iwate, 020 8505, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 269:532-6. 2000
..2, of which parental malignant tissues had caused severe humoral hypercalcemia. The sODF/TRANCE cDNA was composed of unknown 5' end sequence followed by the 100% identical sequence of the ..
- Lithocholic acid derivatives act as selective vitamin D receptor modulators without inducing hypercalcemia
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Nihon University School of Medicine, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
J Lipid Res 49:763-72. 2008
..b>Hypercalcemia, the major adverse effect of vitamin D(3) derivatives, limits their clinical application...
- Calcium-sensing receptor (CASR) mutations in hypercalcemic states: studies from a single endocrine clinic over three years
Departments of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1L5
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1819-29. 2010
..receptor (CASR) are implicated in different hypercalcemic syndromes, including familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH), primary hyperparathyroidism (PHPT), and familial isolated hyperparathyroidism (FIHP)...
- Impaired cotranslational processing of the calcium-sensing receptor due to signal peptide missense mutations in familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 14:1679-90. 2005
..The inherited disorders, familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) and neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism (NSHPT), are caused by inactivating mutations in the CASR gene...
- A novel germline inactivating mutation in the CASR gene in an Italian kindred affected by familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia
Unit of Metabolic Bone Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, 50135 Florence, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 166:933-40. 2012
Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) syndrome is a rare benign condition, inherited as an autosomal dominant trait, in which inactivating mutations of the calcium-sensing receptor (CASR) gene affects the body's ability to regulate ..
- The physiology of parathyroid hormone-related protein
G J Strewler
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Boston Health Care System, West Roxbury, Mass, USA
N Engl J Med 342:177-85. 2000
- Rare causes of calcitriol-mediated hypercalcemia: a case report and literature review
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, 1403 29 Street NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4J8
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3111-7. 2010
Calcitriol-mediated hypercalcemia resulting from elevated extrarenal 25-hydroxyvitamin D-1alpha-hydroxylase (1alpha-hydroxylase) activity has not previously been described in giant cell polymyositis.
- Diseases associated with the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor
R V Thakker
Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, Botnar Research Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
Cell Calcium 35:275-82. 2004
..e. autoimmune) of hypoparathyroidism. Thus, abnormalities of the CaSR are associated with three hypercalcaemic and three hypocalcaemic disorders...
- Expression of tumor invasion factors determines systemic engraftment and induction of humoral hypercalcemia in a mouse model of adult T-cell leukemia
College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Biosciences, Ohio State University, 1925 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Vet Pathol 46:1003-14. 2009
..of adult T-cell lymphoma/leukemia (ATL), which is invariably fatal and often associated with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein measured at the time of first visit is an indicator of bone metastases and survival in lung carcinoma patients with hypercalcemia
Department of Medicine II, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Cancer 95:1706-13. 2002
Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTH-rP) is a major cause of tumor-induced hypercalcemia (TIH) and frequently is found to be elevated in serum of patients with TIH...
- Paraneoplastic humorally mediated hypercalcemia induced by parathyroid hormone-related protein in gynecologic malignancies: a systematic review
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Onkologie 32:517-23. 2009
Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) is a metabolic phenomenon that is mediated by the paraneoplastic secretion of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP)...
- Hypercalcemia and ectopic secretion of parathyroid hormone by an ovarian carcinoma with rearrangement of the gene for parathyroid hormone
S R Nussbaum
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
N Engl J Med 323:1324-8. 1990
- Improvement in hypercalcemia with cinacalcet after kidney transplantation
Titte R Srinivas
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0224, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 1:323-6. 2006
..Ten kidney transplant recipients and one kidney-pancreas recipient with persistent post-Tx hypercalcemia (serum calcium [SCa] > 10...
- Early and severe hyperparathyroidism associated with hypercalcemia after renal transplant treated with cinacalcet
Department of Medicine, SUNY University at Buffalo, NY, USA
Am J Transplant 6:2391-5. 2006
..Patients whose HPT is associated with hypercalcemia pose a difficult therapeutic dilemma which often requires parathyroidectomy...
- Infantile hypophosphatasia: transplantation therapy trial using bone fragments and cultured osteoblasts
Richard A Cahill
Pediatric Research Institute, Cardinal Glennon Children s Hospitals, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2923-30. 2007
..There is no established medical treatment. In 1997, an 8-month-old girl with worsening and life-threatening infantile HPP improved considerably after marrow cell transplantation...
- Effect of recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1-84) on vertebral fracture and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: a randomized trial
Susan L Greenspan
University of Pittsburgh, Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:326-39. 2007
..Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1-84) (PTH) increases bone mass and strength and improves bone quality by stimulating new bone formation...
- Calcium-sensing receptor induces proliferation through p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase but not extracellularly regulated kinase in a model of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension, Department of Medicine and Membrane Biology Program, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endocrinology 145:1211-7. 2004
Using H-500 rat Leydig cancer cells as a model of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM), we previously showed that high Ca(2+) induces PTH-related peptide (PTHrP) secretion via the calcium-sensing receptor (CaR) and mitogen- and ..
- An acceptor splice site mutation in the calcium-sensing receptor (CASR) gene in familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia and neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism
Department of Medicine, McGill University and Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Hum Mutat 18:411-21. 2001
We studied family members of a large kindred expressing both familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) and neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism (NSHPT) and found, by PCR amplification of the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CASR) ..
- Dual effects of macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha on osteolysis and tumor burden in the murine 5TGM1 model of myeloma bone disease
Babatunde O Oyajobi
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology MSC 7762, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Blood 102:311-9. 2003
..metastases were induced via intracardiac inoculation, mice bearing CHO/MIP-1alpha tumors developed hypercalcemia and significantly more osteolytic lesions than mice bearing CHO/EV tumors, with intramedullary CHO/MIP-1alpha ..
- Hypercalcemia in cancer patients: pathobiology and management
Translational Research Unit, Department of Oncology Hospital of Prato and Istituto Toscana Tumori, Florence, Italy
Horm Metab Res 42:153-64. 2010
b>Hypercalcemia is the most common life-threatening metabolic disorder associated with cancer, occurring in approximately 10-30% of all patients with neoplastic disease, although it occurs much less often in the pediatric setting...
- Involvement of molecular mimicry between human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 gp46 and osteoprotegerin in induction of hypercalcemia
Department of Research, Japanese Red Cross Fukuoka Blood Center, Chikushino, Fukuoka, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:490-6. 2009
..T-cell leukemia virus type-1 (HTLV-1) causes adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATL), frequently associated with hypercalcemia and bone destruction...
- What is the link between nonlocalizing sestamibi scans, multigland disease, and persistent hypercalcemia? A study of 401 consecutive patients undergoing parathyroidectomy
Department of Surgery, Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Surgery 140:418-22. 2006
..We hypothesized that nonlocalizing sestamibi scans would correlate with multigland disease and persistent primary hyperparathyroidism...
- Hypercalcemia in children receiving pharmacologic doses of vitamin D
Michelle B Vanstone
Department of Pediatrics Endocrinology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8064, USA
Pediatrics 129:e1060-3. 2012
..We describe 3 children, ages 2 weeks to 2 and 9/12 years, who recently presented to our institution with hypercalcemia and hypervitaminosis D (25-hydroxyvitamin D levels >75 ng/mL), associated with treatment of documented or ..
- Humoral hypercalcemia of benignancy secondary to parathyroid hormone-related protein secreting uterine leiomyoma
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Med Sci 335:407-8. 2008
..3 mg/dL), iPTH (29.4 pg/mL), and PTHrP (<1.3 pmol/L) levels were normalized. The diagnosis of humoral hypercalcemia of benignancy secondary to PTHrP was confirmed...
- Detection of parathyroid hormone-related protein in cats with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy
Anne Provencher Bolliger
Endocrine Diagnostic Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 31:3-8. 2002
Increased serum parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) concentration is used to diagnose humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) in humans and animals...
- Vitamin D-mediated hypercalcemia in lymphoma: evidence for hormone production by tumor-adjacent macrophages
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 18:579-82. 2003
..To address this, we report the case of a 75-year-old man with hypercalcemia associated with raised circulating concentrations of 1,25(OH)2D3 and suppressed parathyroid hormone (PTH) ..
- Severe neonatal hypercalcemia caused by subcutaneous fat necrosis without any apparent cutaneous lesion
Néonatalogie, CHU Angers, 4, rue Larrey, 49000, Angers, France
Eur J Pediatr 167:1459-61. 2008
Subcutaneous fat necrosis is a classic, albeit uncommon, cause of neonatal hypercalcemia. It occurs in newborn infants within the first month of life following a complicated delivery...
- Imaging studies in hypercalcemia
Nuclear Medicine Service, Department of Diagnostic Medical Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Curr Med Chem 18:3485-93. 2011
b>Hypercalcemia is a relatively common clinical problem, mainly (>90%) related to primary hyperparathyroidism (HPT) and malignancies...
- Milk alkali syndrome
Ward 7 North, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7AB
Ulster Med J 71:132-5. 2002
- Hypercalcemia associated with mineral oil-induced sclerosing paraffinomas
Andreas G Moraitis
Eunice Shriver Kennedy National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Endocr Pract 19:e50-6. 2013
..We describe a case of extensive skin lesions associated with mineral oil injections in which we provide evidence for cutaneous granuloma synthesis of 1,25(OH)₂D in the pathogenesis of the patient's hypercalcemia.
- Benign familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia
Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocr Pract 17:13-7. 2011
To review the pathophysiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and management options for benign familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia.
- Identification of a second kindred with familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia type 3 (FHH3) narrows localization to a <3.5 megabase pair region on chromosome 19q13.3
M Andrew Nesbit
Academic Endocrine Unit, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1947-54. 2010
Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) is a genetically heterogenous disorder that consists of three defined types, FHH1, FHH2, and FHH3 whose chromosomal locations are 3q21.1, 19p, and 19q13, respectively...
- Immunosuppressive agents and bone disease in renal transplant patients with hypercalcemia
Day Hospital, Post Trapianto Rene UOC, Nefrologia e Dialisi PO Dei Pellegrini, Napoli, Italy
Transplant Proc 42:1148-55. 2010
..We studied 24 renal transplant recipients with hypercalcemia. Glomerular filtration rate was >50 mL/min...
- Vitamin D, innate immunity, and sarcoidosis granulomatous inflammation: insights from mycobacterial research
Bradley W Richmond
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2363, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 16:461-4. 2010
..Here, we briefly review evidence that mycobacterial antigens are involved in sarcoidosis pathogenesis, and explore how defects in innate immunity might contribute to the disease...
- Bone resorption and "relative" immobilization hypercalcemia with prolonged continuous renal replacement therapy and citrate anticoagulation
Pei Li Wang
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:1110-4. 2004
..Bone resorption owing to prolonged immobilization leading to hypercalcemia is a known complication of critically ill patients...
- Got calcium? Welcome to the calcium-alkali syndrome
Ami M Patel
Renal Electrolyte and Hypertension Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:1440-3. 2010
..The calcium-alkali syndrome is now the third most common cause of hospital admission for hypercalcemia, and those at greatest risk are postmenopausal or pregnant women...
- Milk-alkali syndrome in pregnancy
Michalis K Picolos
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:1201-4. 2004
Severe hypercalcemia, a potentially life-threatening medical emergency, is rare in pregnancy.
- The role of the calcitonin receptor in protecting against induced hypercalcemia is mediated via its actions in osteoclasts to inhibit bone resorption
Andrew G Turner
Department of Medicine, Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Bone 48:354-61. 2011
..model, the purpose of this study was to determine whether the protection conferred by the CTR during induced hypercalcemia is mediated via CTR expression on osteoclasts...
- Elevated parathyroid hormone-related peptide in a patient with an extragonadal germ-cell tumour and hypercalcemia
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Marshfield Clinic, Wausau, Wisc 54401, USA
Can J Surg 47:144. 2004
- Diagnosis of patients with raised serum calcium level in primary care, Sweden
R and D Centre, Skaraborg Primary Care, Skovde, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 24:160-5. 2006
..To study the diagnosis of hypercalcaemic patients and to evaluate whether frequent analyses of serum calcium can detect more patients with hypercalcaemia...
- Life-threatening hypercalcemia in patients with rhabdomyolysis-induced oliguric acute renal failure
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 24:128-31. 2011
..In a third of patients presenting with rhabdomyolysis-induced acute renal failure (ARF), a biphasic plasma calcium profile may occur...
- PIK3R1 mutations cause syndromic insulin resistance with lipoatrophy
Equipe d Accueil 4271, Génétique des Anomalies du Developpement, Universite de Bourgogne, F 21079 Dijon, France
Am J Hum Genet 93:141-9. 2013
- Poorly differentiated colon carcinoma with neuroendocrine features presenting with hypercalcemia and cutaneous metastases: case report and review of the literature
Join Y Luh
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio Cancer Institute, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 25:160-3. 2002
Humoral hypercalcemia is rarely associated with colon carcinoma; cutaneous metastases from colon carcinoma are also infrequent...
- Unusual presentation of primary hyperparathyroidism with osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, and normal parathyroid hormone level
J B Perez
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, Mass 01805, USA
South Med J 94:339-41. 2001
We report the case of a woman with osteoporosis, chronic hypercalcemia, and normal levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH). Surgical exploration revealed hyperplasia of the parathyroid glands...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein-(1--36) stimulates renal tubular calcium reabsorption in normal human volunteers: implications for the pathogenesis of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy
M A Syed
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1525-31. 2001
All would agree that hypercalcemia occurs among patients with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) as a result of osteoclastic bone resorption...
- Rapidly relapsing squamous cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis associated with paraneoplastic syndromes of leukocytosis, thrombocytosis and hypercalcemia
Department of Medical Oncology, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Urol Int 67:175-7. 2001
A case history is reported here in which leukocytosis, thrombocytosis and hypercalcemia associated with rapidly relapsing squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the renal pelvis were observed...
- Calcium-sensing receptor mutations in familial benign hypercalcemia and neonatal hyperparathyroidism
S H Pearce
MRC Molecular Endocrinology Group, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 96:2683-92. 1995
Familial benign hypercalcemia (FBH) and neonatal hyperparathyroidism (NHPT) are disorders of calcium homeostasis that are associated with missense mutations of the calcium-sensing receptor (CaR)...
- Cinacalcet treatment for stable kidney transplantation patients with hypercalcemia due to persistent secondary hyperparathyroidism: a long-term follow-up
R P Paschoalin
Nephrology and Kidney Transplantation Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Transplant Proc 44:2588-9. 2012
Cinacalcet is an effective treatment for hypercalcemia due to persistent hyperparathyroidism (HPT) in patients who have undergone kidney transplantation (KT). Few data are available about their long-term follow-up.
- Acute kidney injury, sodium disorders, and hypercalcemia in the aging kidney: diagnostic and therapeutic management strategies in emergency medicine
Department of Emergency Medicine, SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 29:275-319. 2013
..The current literature regarding evaluation and management of hypercalcemia in older patients is summarized. The management of severe hypercalcemia is discussed in detail...
- Effectiveness of pamidronate in severe neonatal hypercalcemia caused by subcutaneous fat necrosis: a case report
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 168:625-7. 2009
..abnormalities like hypoglycemia, hypertriglyceridemia, thrombocytopenia, and also potentially life-threatening hypercalcemia. We report a case of severe hypercalcemia complicating SCFN in a newborn who was treated with hyperhydration, ..
- Hypercalcemia due to hypervitaminosis D: report of seven patients
Department of Pediatrics, B J Wadia Hospital for Children, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
J Trop Pediatr 55:396-8. 2009
..All patients had hypercalcemia (serum calcium ranging from 12 to 16...
- Cancer-induced hypercalcemia
University of Padua, School of Medicine, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 29:1551-5. 2009
Cancer-induced hypercalcemia (CIH) occurs in 5% to 30% of patients with cancer during the course of their disease, depending on the type of tumor. This review provides information on the pathophysiology and treatment of CIH...
- Primary hyperparathyroidism, hypercalcemic crisis and subsequent seizures occurring during pregnancy: a case report
T A D Cherry
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo, Amarillo, Texas 79106, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 12:349-52. 2002
..During acute treatment, she developed generalized motor seizures considered to be secondary to hypercalcemia. Evaluation and treatment of women with primary hyperparathyroidism and hypercalcemia are reviewed, and the ..
- SHORT syndrome with partial lipodystrophy due to impaired phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase signaling
Kishan Kumar Chudasama
K G Jebsen Center for Diabetes Research, Department of Clinical Science, University of Bergen, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Am J Hum Genet 93:150-7. 2013
..Normal PI3K activity is critical for adipose differentiation and insulin signaling; the mutated PIK3R1 therefore provides a unique link among lipodystrophy, growth, and insulin signaling. ..
- [Subcutaneous fat necrosis in the newborn: a risk for severe hypercalcemia]
Service des urgences pédiatriques, CHU Hotel Dieu, Boulevard Leon Malfreyt, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Arch Pediatr 10:713-5. 2003
b>Hypercalcemia associated with subcutaneous fat necrosis (SCN) is a well known but rare event in the newborn. A newborn infant with a history of SCN was admitted because of anorexia, adynamia, polyuria and polydipsia at 6 weeks of age...
- Adult T-cell leukemia with hypercalcemia-induced metastatic calcification in the lungs due to production of parathyroid hormone-related protein
Department of Internal Medicine, Kasumigaura National Hospital, Tsuchiura, Ibaraki
Intern Med 40:409-13. 2001
A 60-year-old man was diagnosed as adult T-cell leukemia with severe hypercalcemia because of production of parathyroid hormone-related protein...
- [Hypercalcemia of double origin: association of multiple myeloma and ectopic parathyroidal adenoma]
Service de Rhumatologie, CHU Jean Minjoz, Boulevard Fleming, 25000 Besançon Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 28:504-6. 2007
Multiple myeloma and primary hyperparathyroidism are two causes of hypercalcemia. This association has already been described to be not casual, despite their link is still unknown.
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia in adolescence with multiple osteolytic lesions and hypercalcemia mediated by lymphoblast-producing parathyroid hormone-related peptide: a case report and review of the literature
Section of Pediatrics, National Kyushu Cancer Center, 3 1 1 Notame, Minami Ku, Fukuoka 811 1395, Japan
Pediatr Blood Cancer 45:333-9. 2005
Osteopathy is one of the common initial symptoms of acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in children and adolescents, but multiple osteolysis accompanied by hypercalcemia is rarely observed.
- Impact of hypercalcemia and parathyroid hormone level on the sensitivity of preoperative sestamibi scanning for primary hyperparathyroidism
Department of General Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Am Surg 69:393-8; discussion 399. 2003
..We completed a retrospective review of 102 patients with primary hyperparathyroidism and mild hypercalcemia who underwent preoperative MIBI...
- Onco-nephrology: the pathophysiology and treatment of malignancy-associated hypercalcemia
Mitchell H Rosner
Division of Nephrology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1722-9. 2012
b>Hypercalcemia complicates the course of 10%-30% of all patients with malignancies and can be a sign of very poor prognosis and advanced malignancy...
- Sarcoidosis with acute recurrent polyarthritis and hypercalcemia
Department of Allergy and Rheumatology, Japanese Red Cross Medical Center, Tokyo
Intern Med 45:363-8. 2006
..The clinical features of arthritis were typical of those of Löfgrens syndrome although BHL and erythema nodosum were absent. The patient was successfully treated with 15 mg/day of prednisolone...
- Identification and functional characterization of novel calcium-sensing receptor mutations in familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia and autosomal dominant hypocalcemia
Department of Medicine, McGill University and Calcium Research Laboratory, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1309-18. 2002
Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH), neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism (NSHPT), and autosomal dominant hypocalcemia (ADH), in which calcium homeostasis is disordered, are associated with mutations in the calcium-sensing receptor ..
- An unusual cause of hypercalcemia in polycythemia vera: parathyroid adenoma
Department of Internal Medicine, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Med Okayama 56:167-70. 2002
In this paper we describe a patient with polycythemia vera (PV), who presented with hypercalcemia due to a parathyroid adenoma. In November 1999, the patient was admitted to our hospital with meteorism and constipation...
- Substernal oxyphil parathyroid adenoma producing PTHrP with hypercalcemia and normal PTH level
Department of Applications in Surgery of Innovative Technologies, University Medical School of Bari
World J Surg Oncol 6:24. 2008
..diagnostic parameters that allow differentiating primary hyperparathyroidism from non-parathyroid-dependent hypercalcemia. Parathyroidectomy is the definitive treatment for primary hyperparathyroidism...
- Severe hypercalcemia following vitamin d supplementation in a patient with multiple sclerosis: a note of caution
Jacqueline F Marcus
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, 350 Parnassus Ave, 908, PO Box 0114, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arch Neurol 69:129-32. 2012
To describe a patient with multiple sclerosis (MS) who developed severe hypercalcemia, attributed to the additive effect of 5500 IU of cholecalciferol and 2020 mg of calcium daily.
- Increased fibroblast growth factor-like autoantibodies in serum from a subset of patients with cancer-associated hypercalcemia
Mark B Zimering
Department of Veterans Affairs, Medical Service, New Jersey Health Care System MBZ, 07939, Lyons, NJ 07939, USA
Life Sci 71:2939-59. 2002
..assay(s) to test for bioactivity in the IgG fraction of serum from 56 patients with cancer-associated hypercalcemia, and normal or control subjects...
- The inhibition of RANKL causes greater suppression of bone resorption and hypercalcemia compared with bisphosphonates in two models of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy
Metabolic Disorders Research, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, California 91320 1789, USA
Endocrinology 146:3235-43. 2005
Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) is mediated primarily by skeletal and renal responses to tumor-derived PTHrP...
- A case of resistant hypercalcemia of malignancy with a proposed treatment algorithm
John Cochran Veterans Affairs Medical Center, St Louis, MO, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:1532-8. 2009
To report and describe a case of refractory hypercalcemia of malignancy (HCM) associated with metastatic, transitional-cell carcinoma of the left ureter.
- Genetic linkage analysis in familial benign (hypocalciuric) hypercalcemia: evidence for locus heterogeneity
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84132
Am J Hum Genet 53:193-200. 1993
Familial benign hypercalcemia (FBH, or hypocalciuric hypercalcemia) is characterized by inheritance, in an autosomal dominant pattern, of lifelong hypercalcemia without hypercalciuria, which is often mistaken for classical primary ..
- Transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis associated with hypercalcemia in a patient with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease
Robert L Grubb
Division of Urology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Urology 63:778-80. 2004
..of the renal pelvis in a patient with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) who presented with hypercalcemia. Hypercalcemia is rare in TCC and has not been independently associated with ADPKD...
- 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D-mediated hypercalcemia in ovarian dysgerminoma
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Fujita Health University, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 25:73-8. 2008
Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) is a rare complication of malignant pediatric tumors, specifically those that secrete humoral factor(s), such as parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP)...
- [Severe hypercalcemia as a complication of intensive treatment for osteoporosis due to steroid therpay in 17-year-old girl with the nephrotic syndrome]
Klinika Nefrologii Dzieciecej AM w Lublinie
Pol Merkur Lekarski 24:74-5. 2008
..The history revealed that the girl had increased the doses of drugs intentionally. The authors emphasized the need for careful monitoring of prophylaxis and treatment for osteoporosis due to steroid therapy...
- Narrative review: furosemide for hypercalcemia: an unproven yet common practice
Susan B Legrand
Harry R Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, Solid Tumor Oncology, Cleveland Clinic, Taussig Cancer Institute, 9500 Euclid Avenue R35, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:259-63. 2008
Although primary hyperparathyroidism is the most common cause of hypercalcemia, cancer is the most common cause requiring inpatient intervention...
- Severe hypercalcaemia and respiratory insufficiency associated with infantile hypophosphatasia caused by two novel mutations of the tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphatase gene
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Saitama Children s Medical Centre, Japan
Eur J Pediatr 159:375-9. 2000
..A reconsitution experiment revealed that both mutant gene products had low but significant enzymatic activity...
- Characterization and management of hypercalcemia following transplantation for osteopetrosis
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Texas Children s Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:939-44. 2010
..Although hypercalcemia is a common presenting feature of OP, it may be observed following HCT due to engraftment of osteoclasts ..
- Effects of hypercalcemia on serum concentrations of magnesium, potassium, and phosphate and urinary excretion of electrolytes in horses
Ramiro E Toribio
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Vet Res 68:543-54. 2007
To determine effects of experimentally induced hypercalcemia on serum concentrations and urinary excretion of electrolytes, especially ionized magnesium (iMg), in healthy horses.
- Localization of familial benign hypercalcemia, Oklahoma variant (FBHOk), to chromosome 19q13
S E Lloyd
Medical Research Council MRC Molecular Endocrinology Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 64:189-95. 1999
..Inactivating CaSR mutations result in familial benign hypercalcemia (FBH), or familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH), whereas activating mutations result in hypocalcemic ..
- Zoledronate in a patient with pamidronate refractory hypercalcemia syndrome
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Oncology, University Hospital of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Support Care Cancer 12:678-81. 2004
b>Hypercalcemia of malignancy remains a common metabolic complication of advanced cancer often resulting in considerable morbidity and diminishing life quality in the later stages of disease...
- Tumoral calcinosis associated with hypercalcemia in a patient with chronic renal failure
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jichi Medical University, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Shimotsuke, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 15:154-8. 2011
..failure was admitted to the hospital because of progressive hip pain, appetite loss, general fatigue, and hypercalcemia. Slight pain had developed in the left hip 3 months before the initiation of hemodialysis, which subsequently ..
- Hypercalcemia in histoplasmosis aggravated with antifungal treatment
University of Kansas School of Medicine UKSM Wichita, Kansas 67214, USA
J Med Liban 60:165-8. 2012
b>Hypercalcemia is a known, but rare complication of histoplasmosis, a granulomatous disease...
- An unusual presentation of primary hyperparathyroidism: severe hypercalcemia and multiple brown tumors
Rheumatology Department, CHU Purpan, Purpan Teaching Hospital, Place du Docteur Baylac, TSA 40031, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Joint Bone Spine 75:209-11. 2008
..Here, we describe the case of a 70-year-old man with bone pain, multiple brown tumors, and severe hypercalcemia (4 mmol/L). The diagnostic pitfalls raised by these symptoms are illustrated.
- Multiple myeloma presenting with recurrent hypercalcemia in a patient with a history of primary hyperparathyroidism: report of case and review of literature
Hasnain M Khandwala
Department of Medicine and the Division of Endocrinology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Endocr Pract 10:345-7. 2004
To report a case of primary hyperparathyroidism (PHPT) that presented with recurrent hypercalcemia due to multiple myeloma after successful parathyroidectomy.
- Hypercalcemia of malignancy with simultaneous elevation in serum parathyroid hormone--related peptide and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinoma
Sarika B Shivnani
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8885, USA
Endocr Pract 15:234-9. 2009
To determine the cause of refractory hypercalcemia in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
- Paraneoplastic refractory hypercalcemia due to advanced metastatic esthesioneuroblastoma
Harry R Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Rhinology 46:153-5. 2008
..A number of paraneoplastic syndromes have been described in the setting of ENB. Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) has never been described with ENB before...
- Increased renal calcium reabsorption by parathyroid hormone-related protein is a causative factor in the development of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy refractory to osteoclastic bone resorption inhibitors
Pharmaceutical Department IV, Chugai Research Laboratories, Chugai Pharmaceutical, CO, Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 11:4198-203. 2005
Bisphosphonate and calcitonin lower blood calcium in humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) by suppressing osteoclastic bone resorption, but repeated administration of these drugs often leads to relapse...
- Subcutaneous fat necrosis, hypercalcemia, and prostaglandin E
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison 53705, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 12:43-7. 1995
..Laboratory studies revealed hypercalcemia of 13.6 mg/dl (normal 8.8-10.1 mg/dl), elevated 1.25-1.25(OH)2D3, and increased urinary excretion of PGE2...