Genomes and Genes
Summary: Habitual, repeated, rapid contraction of certain muscles, resulting in stereotyped individualized actions that can be voluntarily suppressed for only brief periods. They often involve the face, vocal cords, neck, and less often the extremities. Examples include repetitive throat clearing, vocalizations, sniffing, pursing the lips, and excessive blinking. Tics tend to be aggravated by emotional stress. When frequent they may interfere with speech and INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS. Conditions which feature frequent and prominent tics as a primary manifestation of disease are referred to as TIC DISORDERS. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp109-10)
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Reexamining Tic persistence and Tic-associated impairment in Tourette's Disorder: findings from a naturalistic follow-up studyBarbara J Coffey
Joint Program in Pediatric Psychopharmacology of Massachusetts General Hospital and McLean Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:776-80. 2004..6 +/- 3.2 years. At baseline, 88% of subjects met threshold criteria for at least mild tics, but only 30% met criteria for tic-associated impairment...
- The neural circuits that generate tics in Tourette's syndromeZhishun Wang
Magnetic Resonance Imaging Unit, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:1326-37. 2011..The purpose of this study was to examine neural activity and connectivity within cortico-striato-thalamo-cortical circuits and to reveal circuit-based neural mechanisms that govern tic generation in Tourette's syndrome...
- Repetitive behaviours in patients with Gilles de la Tourette syndrome: tics, compulsions, or both?Yulia Worbe
Centre d Investigation Clinique INSERM CIC 9503, Pôle des maladies du système nerveux, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 5:e12959. 2010Repetitive behaviours (RB) in patients with Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (GTS) are frequent. However, a controversy persists whether they are manifestations of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or correspond to complex tics.
- Association of cortical disinhibition with tic, ADHD, and OCD severity in Tourette syndromeDonald L Gilbert
Division of Neurology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Mov Disord 19:416-25. 2004..Severity of ADHD symptoms and motor tics were associated significantly and independently with short interval intracortical inhibition (SICI) (r(2) = 0...
- The international prevalence, epidemiology, and clinical phenomenology of Tourette syndrome: a cross-cultural perspectiveMary May Robertson
Department of Mental Health Sciences, UCL, London, United Kingdom
J Psychosom Res 67:475-83. 2009..Both TS and tics are certainly more obvious and may be more common in younger people...
- Recent advances in Tourette syndrome researchRoger L Albin
Geriatrics Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Ann Arbor VAMC, Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, MI 48109, USA
Trends Neurosci 29:175-82. 2006..These lines of research have provided new pieces to the TS puzzle, and their increasing convergence is showing how those pieces can be put together...
- Basal ganglia dysfunction in Tourette's syndrome: a new hypothesisJ W Mink
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Pediatr Neurol 25:190-8. 2001Tourette's syndrome is a neuropsychiatric syndrome with onset in childhood that is characterized by chronic multiple tics. The cause of Tourette's syndrome is unknown, but the pathophysiology most likely involves basal ganglia and ..
- Lack of benefit of accumbens/capsular deep brain stimulation in a patient with both tics and obsessive-compulsive disorderAdam Burdick
University of Florida Department of Neurosurgery, Gainesville, FL, USA
Neurocase 16:321-30. 2010LAY SUMMARY: This case report illustrates lack of clinical efficacy of deep brain stimulation (DBS) for control of tics in a case of mild Tourette syndrome (TS) with severe comorbid obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)...
- Deep brain stimulation for hyperkinetics disorders: dystonia, tardive dyskinesia, and ticsMarie Laure Welter
AP HP, Fédération des Maladies du Système Nerveux, Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Curr Opin Neurol 23:420-5. 2010..This review focuses on new insights in deep brain stimulation (DBS) for patients with hyperkinetic movement disorders: dystonia, tardive dyskinesia and Gille de la Tourette's syndrome, during the last 18 months...
- Maternal history of autoimmune disease in children presenting with tics and/or obsessive-compulsive disorderT K Murphy
Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, St Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
J Neuroimmunol 229:243-7. 2010..Thus, we hypothesized that a sample of children with OCD and/or tics would have an increased maternal risk for an autoimmune response relative to population norms...
- Prevalence of tics in schoolchildren and association with placement in special educationR Kurlan
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
Neurology 57:1383-8. 2001....
- Intractable chronic motor tics dramatically respond to Clerodendrum inerme (L) GaertnPi Chuan Fan
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Child Neurol 24:887-90. 2009b>Tics are characterized by involuntary, sudden, rapid, repetitive, nonrhythmic, stereotyped movements or phonic productions...
- Severe stuttering and motor tics responsive to cocaineG Linazasoro
Centro de Investigacion Parkinson, Policlinica Gipuzkoa, Parque Tecnológico de Miramón, San Sebastian, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 13:57-8. 2007Developmental stuttering and tics share many clinical and therapeutical aspects. Dopaminergic neurotransmission seems to be involved in the pathophysiology of both, tics and stuttering...
- Detecting pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcus in children with obsessive-compulsive disorder and ticsTanya K Murphy
Department of Psychiatry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0256, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:61-8. 2004....
- Myelopathy caused by tics in an adolescent, associated with T2 signal intensity changes of the spinal cordAi Muroi
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Childs Nerv Syst 18:191-4. 2002A 15-year-old boy who had suffered motor tics since age 9 developed progressive cervical myelopathy involving both his hands and his lower extremities...
- Current status of cannabis treatment of multiple sclerosis with an illustrative case presentation of a patient with MS, complex vocal tics, paroxysmal dystonia, and marijuana dependence treated with dronabinolStephen I Deutsch
Mental Health Service Line, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
CNS Spectr 13:393-403. 2008..An illustrative case is presented of a 52-year-old woman with MS, paroxysmal dystonia, complex vocal tics, and marijuana dependence...
- Mercury intoxication presenting with ticsA M Li
Department of Paediatrics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 6th Floor, Clinical Sciences Building, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Arch Dis Child 83:174-5. 2000A 5 year old Chinese boy presented with recurrent oral ulceration followed by motor and vocal tics. The Chinese herbal spray he used for his mouth ulcers was found to have a high mercury content. His blood mercury concentration was raised...
- Translocation breakpoint at 7q31 associated with tics: further evidence for IMMP2L as a candidate gene for Tourette syndromeChirag Patel
Department of Clinical Genetics, Birmingham Women s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 19:634-9. 2011..We identified a male patient with Tourette syndrome-like tics and an apparently balanced de novo translocation [46,XY,t(2;7)(p24.2;q31)]...
- An overview of the treatment of Tourette's disorder and ticsHumberto C Párraga
Department of Child Psychiatry, Fourth Street Clinic, Springfield, Illinois 627003, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 20:249-62. 2010The aim of this study was to review the efficacy of various treatments for Tourette's disorder (TD) and tics.
- Distinguishing illness severity from tic severity in children and adolescents with Tourette's disorderB J Coffey
Joint Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Massachusetts General and McLean Hospitals, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 39:556-61. 2000..To examine whether tic severity, comorbid disorders, or both are associated with illness morbidity in youths with Tourette's disorder (TD)...
- Caudate volumes in childhood predict symptom severity in adults with Tourette syndromeMichael H Bloch
Child Study Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Neurology 65:1253-8. 2005..Currently no clinical measures can predict whose tic symptoms will persist into adulthood. Previous cross-sectional imaging studies have identified reduced caudate nucleus volumes in subjects with TS...
- Neurobiology. Making sense of Tourette'sSteve Olson
Science 305:1390-2. 2004
- Quantitative study of spontaneous eye blinks and eye tics in Gilles de la Tourette's syndromeJ H Tulen
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Rotterdam, Dijkzigt and Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 67:800-2. 1999Spontaneous eye blink rate and frequency of eye tics were studied in nine Tourette patients during periods of rest, conversation, and video watching...
- Coprophenomena in Tourette syndromeRoger D Freeman
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dev Med Child Neurol 51:218-27. 2009..was three times as frequent as copropraxia, with a mean onset of each at about 11 years, 5 years after the onset of tics. In 11% of those with coprolalia and 12% of those with copropraxia these coprophenomena were one of the initial ..
- Treatment of phonic tics in patients with Tourette's syndrome using botulinum toxin type AM Porta
Department of Neurology, Policlinico San Marco, Zingonia BG, Italy
Neurol Sci 24:420-3. 2004We assessed the effect of botulinum toxin type A (BTX-A) on phonic tics in patients with Tourette's syndrome. A total of 30 patients received 2.5 IU BTX-A (BOTOX; Allergan) in both vocal cords...
- Pharmacological management of tics in patients with TSPaul Sandor
Department of Psychiatry, Toronto Western Hospital, Edith Cavell Wing, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2S8
J Psychosom Res 55:41-8. 2003..reviews the evidence published in the English language literature concerning the pharmacological treatment of tics in patients with Tourette Syndrome. The focus is on the efficacy and safety of the current treatments...
- Emergence of tics in children with ADHD: impact of once-daily OROS methylphenidate therapyDonna Palumbo
Strong Neurology ADHD Medical Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642 8673, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 14:185-94. 2004..are the recognized first-line choice of pharmacotherapy for ADHD, reports that they may induce or exacerbate tics have tended to limit their use in ADHD children who have a history of tics or a family history of Tourette's ..
- Clozapine-induced stuttering, facial tics and myoclonic seizures: a case reportM Begum
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:202. 2005
- Ear wiggling tics: treatment with botulinum toxin injectionSupaporn Srirompotong
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:385-7. 2007Ear wiggling tics are a rare disorder and there is no reported satisfactory treatment. We had a patient present with ear wiggling tics, which we treated with injections (totaling 40 units) of botulinum toxin A to the pinna muscle (i.e...
- Genetic and environmental influences on stuttering and tics in Japanese twin childrenSyuichi Ooki
Department of Health Science, Ishikawa Prefectural Nursing University, Kahoku, Ishikawa, Japan
Twin Res Hum Genet 8:69-75. 2005The purpose of this study was to clarify the genetic contribution to stuttering and tics in childhood using the largest databases of Japanese twins...
- Atomoxetine and tics in ADHDPeter D Feldman
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44:405-6. 2005
- Atomoxetine and tics in ADHDTih Shih W Lee
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:1068-9. 2004
- Risperidone and late onset ticsC Feroz-Nainar
South Birmingham PCT, King s Norton, UK
Autism 10:302-7. 2006
- Limited knowledge of Tourette syndrome causes delay in diagnosisN M M Mol Debes
Pediatric Department, Glostrup University Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Neuropediatrics 39:101-5. 2008Tourette syndrome (TS) is characterized by the presence of tics and is often accompanied by other symptoms, like attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder. The presenting symptoms are supposed to be tics...
- Botulinum toxin type A in simple motor tics: short-term and long-term treatment-effectsJudith J G Rath
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Haga Hospital, Leyweg 275, The Hague, The Netherlands
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:478-81. 2010To determine the short-term and long-term treatment-effects of botulinum toxin type A in simple motor tics, we analyzed 15 consecutive patients (18 tics) with simple motor tics that were treated every 3 months with injections of BTX-A...
- Lack of effect of intravenous immunoglobulins on tics: a double-blind placebo-controlled studyPieter J Hoekstra
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Center, Hanzeplein 1, 9713 GZ Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 65:537-42. 2004..No data are available on the effectiveness of intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) on tic severity in unselected tic disorder patients...
- Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome with and without obsessive-compulsive disorder compared with obsessive-compulsive disorder without tics: which symptoms discriminate?D C Cath
Department of Psychiatry, GGZ Buitenamstel Outpatient Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 189:219-28. 2001..Specific non-anxiety-related impulsions seem to discriminate between GTS and OCD-tic individuals. These impulsions possibly reflect differences in underlying mechanisms between GTS and OCD-tics.
- How to treat OCD in patients with Tourette syndromeEuripedes C Miguel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Psychosom Res 55:49-57. 2003..A subgroup of OCD patients, however, shows no significant improvement. Few studies suggest that the presence of tics is associated to a worse treatment response to SSRIs and that such patients benefit from combined therapy of ..
- Use of an antecedent analysis and a force sensitive platform to compare stereotyped movements and motor ticsKimberly A Crosland
University of Kansas, KS, USA
Am J Ment Retard 110:181-92. 2005Stereotyped movements displayed by 6 participants and tics displayed by 6 children were evaluated using an antecedent behavioral analysis and a force sensitive platform...
- Objective assessments of longitudinal outcome in Gilles de la Tourette's syndromeE J Pappert
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Neurology 61:936-40. 2003..To define the long-term outcome in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (GTS) using objective rating measures...
- Botulinum toxin for simple motor tics: a randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trialC Marras
Toronto Western Hospital Morton and Gloria Shulman Movement Disorders Centre, Ontario, Canada
Neurology 56:605-10. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the effect of injections of botulinum toxin on simple motor tics. BACKGROUND: Case series with unblinded assessments have reported improvement in tic frequency and associated urge with botulinum toxin...
- First-onset tics in patients with attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder: impact of stimulantsVeit Roessner
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Goettingen, Germany
Dev Med Child Neurol 48:616-21. 2006First-onset tics during stimulant treatment of attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are clinically relevant and remain a matter of scientific debate...
- Tourette Syndrome and learning disabilitiesLarry Burd
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
BMC Pediatr 5:34. 2005..Learning disabilities are frequently comorbid with TS. Using the largest sample of TS patients ever reported, we sought to identify differences between subjects with TS only and subjects with TS and a comorbid learning disability...
- Treatment of tics in tourette syndrome with aripiprazoleAndreas Kastrup
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:94-6. 2005
- Home alone: methods to maximize tic expression for objective videotape assessments in Gilles de la Tourette syndromeC G Goetz
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mov Disord 16:693-7. 2001Our objective was to test whether at-home videotapes yield enhanced information on tics compared to office-based videotapes and a patient questionnaire on the current anatomical distribution of tics...
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, tics and Tourette's syndrome: the relationship and treatment implications. A commentaryMary M Robertson
Dept of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, 2nd Floor, Wolfson Building, 48 Riding House Street, London W1W 7EY, UK
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 15:1-11. 2006..The treatment implications of ADHD in the setting of tics or TS are important. Clonidine is suggested as a first line treatment...
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder, tics and anxiety in 6-year-old twinsDerek Bolton
Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, UK
Psychol Med 37:39-48. 2007..Family history studies of co-morbidity have found familial aggregation with tics, especially for early-onset OCD, and familial aggregation with anxiety disorders.
- Identification of pyruvate kinase as an antigen associated with Tourette syndromeJanice W Kansy
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Neuroimmunol 181:165-76. 2006..These data suggest that PK can function as an autoimmune target and that this immunoreactivity may be associated with Tourette syndrome, OCD, and associated disorders...
- Streptococcal infection and exacerbations of childhood tics and obsessive-compulsive symptoms: a prospective blinded cohort studyRoger Kurlan
University of Rochester School of Medicine, Mt Hope Professional Building, 1351 Mt Hope Ave, Suite 100, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Pediatrics 121:1188-97. 2008....
- Early onset obsessive-compulsive disorder with and without ticsMaria Alice de Mathis
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
CNS Spectr 14:362-70. 2009..Research suggests that obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is not a unitary entity, but rather a highly heterogeneous condition, with complex and variable clinical manifestations...
- Phenomenology of tics and natural history of tic disordersJames F Leckman
Child Study Center, Sterling Hall of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Adv Neurol 99:1-16. 2006
- Use of levetiracetam to treat tics in children and adolescents with Tourette syndromeYasser Awaad
Department of Pediatrics, Oakwood Healthcare System, University of Michigan Medical School, 21031 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48124, USA
Mov Disord 20:714-8. 2005Some drugs currently used to treat tics in pediatric patients have drawbacks, including the risk of side effects. New therapeutic options with better safety profiles are needed...
- Repetitive behaviors in Tourette's syndrome and OCD with and without tics: what are the differences?D C Cath
Department of Psychiatry, GGZ Buitenamstel Outpatient Services, Lassusstraat 2, 1075 GV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 101:171-85. 2001..Thirty-two GTS, 31 OCD (10 with tics, 21 without tics) and 29 control subjects were studied using the Leiden repetitive behaviors semi-structured ..
- Increased event-related theta activity as a psychophysiological marker of comorbidity in children with tics and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disordersJuliana Yordanova
Institute of Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad G Bonchev Str, bl 23, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Neuroimage 32:940-55. 2006..in children represent a combination of two independent pathologies, a separate nosologic entity manifested by both tics and hyperactivity or a phenotype subgroup of one of the two major clinical forms has received increasing attention...
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder with and without tics in a clinical sample of children and adolescentsGregory L Hanna
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0390, USA
Depress Anxiety 16:59-63. 2002..Sixty OCD patients were assessed in two outpatient psychiatric clinics; 15 patients had a lifetime history of tics and 45 patients had no tic history...
- Tic symptom profiles in subjects with Tourette Syndrome from two genetically isolated populationsCarol A Mathews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0810, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:292-300. 2007..Tourette Syndrome (TS) has a complex etiology and wide variability in phenotypic expression. Identifying underlying symptom patterns may be useful for etiological and outcome studies of TS...
- Tourette syndrome and chronic tics in a sample of children and adolescentsLudovica Saccomani
Department of Child Neuropsychiatry, University of Genoa, Italy
Brain Dev 27:349-52. 2005..8 years) were chosen. Screening measures included detailed anamnestic data, focused on family history of tics and other psychiatric disorders, prenatal events and birth...
- Reliability and validity of the Yale Global Tic Severity ScaleEric A Storch
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
Psychol Assess 17:486-91. 2005..Data included clinician reports of tics and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) severity, parent reports of tics, internalizing and externalizing problems, ..
- MRI assessment of children with obsessive-compulsive disorder or tics associated with streptococcal infectionJ N Giedd
Child Psychiatry and Pediatrics and Developmental Neuropsychiatry Branch of NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1600, USA
Am J Psychiatry 157:281-3. 2000The authors assessed selective basal ganglia involvement in a subgroup of children with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and/or tics believed to be associated with streptococcal infection.
- The management of ticsDavid Shprecher
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Mov Disord 24:15-24. 2009..Currently available oral medications can reduce the severity of tics, but rarely eliminate them...
- The treatment of ticsH S Singer
Departments of Neurology and Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, Harvey 811, Baltimore, MD 21287 8811, USA
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 1:195-202. 2001b>Tics are the essential component of a variety of disorders, notably Tourette syndrome. Because the mere presence of tics does not require therapeutic intervention, criteria are essential for determining a functional disability...
- Pathophysiology of tics and Tourette syndromeAlfredo Berardelli
Dept of Neurological Sciences and Istituto Neurologico Mediterraneo, Neuromed IRCCS, Pozzilli IS University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Neurol 250:781-7. 2003b>Tics are involuntary movements that can affect one or more muscles producing simple or complex movements. Blink reflex and startle reflex studies disclose an increased excitability of brainstem interneurons...
- Association of COMT (Val158Met) and BDNF (Val66Met) gene polymorphisms with anxiety, ADHD and tics in children with autism spectrum disorderKenneth D Gadow
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, State University of New York, Putnam Hall, South Campus, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8790, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 39:1542-51. 2009The aim of the study is to examine rs4680 (COMT) and rs6265 (BDNF) as genetic markers of anxiety, ADHD, and tics. Parents and teachers completed a DSM-IV-referenced rating scale for a total sample of 67 children with autism spectrum ..
- Phenomenology of tics and natural history of tic disordersJames F Leckman
Child Study Center, Children s Clinical Research Center, and Department of Pediatrics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Brain Dev 25:S24-8. 2003..As such, the sensory urges that precede tics may illuminate some of the normal internal cues that are intimately involved in the assembly of behavioral ..
- GPi deep brain stimulation for Tourette syndrome improves tics and psychiatric comorbiditiesJ Shahed
Parkinson s Disease Center, and Movement Disorders Clinic, Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 6550 Fannin, Suite 1801, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neurology 68:159-60. 2007
- [Spanish adaptation and diagnostic validity of the Yale Global Tics Severity Scale]R Garcia-Lopez
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital Costa del Sol Marbella, Malaga
Rev Neurol 46:261-6. 2008The aim of the study is to analyse the psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Yale Global Tics Severity Scale (YGTSS)...
- Principal components analysis of a large cohort with Tourette syndromeMary M Robertson
Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Br J Psychiatry 193:31-6. 2008..Tourette syndrome is a heterogeneous familial disorder for which the genetic mechanisms are unknown. A better characterisation of the phenotype may help identify susceptibility genes...
- Hemi tics and deep brain stimulationCatherine L Gallagher
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Neurology 66:E12. 2006
- Surgery for other movement disorders: dystonia, ticsClement Hamani
Division of Neurosurgery, Toronto Western Hospital, UHN, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Neurol 20:470-6. 2007..We review the neurosurgical treatment of dystonias and tics, focusing mainly on the surgical aspects and outcome of deep brain stimulation.
- Secondary tics or tourettism associated with a brain tumorAimee F Luat
Carman and Ann Adams Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Pediatr Neurol 41:457-60. 2009..Described here is a case of secondary tics, or tourettism, in a child with a large oligodendroglioma of the right temporal lobe extending to the basal ganglia...
- Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is effective in the treatment of tics in Tourette syndrome: a 6-week randomized trialKirsten R Müller-Vahl
Department of Clinical Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical School of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 64:459-65. 2003..This study was performed to investigate for the first time under controlled conditions, over a longer-term treatment period, whether THC is effective and safe in reducing tics in TS.
- Management of tics and Tourette's disorder: an updateDurga Prasad Bestha
Department of Psychiatry, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:1813-22. 2010..While alpha-2 agonists and dopamine antagonists constitute the mainstay of pharmacological agents for tic disorders, advances in neurobiology and psychopharmacology have discovered newer avenues for treatment of tic disorders...
- Anti-basal ganglia antibodies in patients with atypical dystonia and tics: a prospective studyM J Edwards
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, UCL, Queen Square, London, UK
Neurology 63:156-8. 2004..An autoimmune mechanism may underlie a proportion of cases of atypical movement disorders...
- Behavioral and emotional problems in adolescents with Tourette syndromeHsueh Ling Chang
Department of Child Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
Chang Gung Med J 31:145-52. 2008..This study intended to examine the nature and severity of behavioral and emotional problems in Taiwanese TS adolescents...
- The influence of different food and drink on tics in Tourette syndromeKirsten R Müller-Vahl
Clinic of Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Acta Paediatr 97:442-6. 2008Tourette syndrome (TS) is characterized by waxing and waning motor and vocal tics. Because standard medication often remains unsatisfactory, many patients seek alternative medicine...
- Early- versus late-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder: investigating genetic and clinical correlatesSian M J Hemmings
MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Medical School, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Psychiatry Res 128:175-82. 2004..Analysis of the clinical data revealed an association between early age of onset and an increased frequency of tics, Tourette's disorder, and trichotillomania (TTM)...
- Contemporary assessment and pharmacotherapy of Tourette syndromeLawrence Scahill
Yale Child Study Center, 230 South Frontage Road, P O Box 207900, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
NeuroRx 3:192-206. 2006..classified into those with strong empirical support (as evidenced by two positive placebo-controlled studies for tics, OCD, or ADHD in TS samples); modest empirical support (one positive placebo-controlled study), or minimal support (..
- [Tourette syndrome. Genetics, neuroanatomy and neurotransmitters]Nanette M M Mol Debes
Glostrup Hospital, Børneafdeling L, Glostrup
Ugeskr Laeger 170:2695-700. 2008..The basal ganglia are probably smaller in patients with TS. A dysfunction in the dopaminergic pathway causes tics. ADHD results from a decreased concentration of dopamine and an increased concentration of noradrenaline...
- Habituation of premonitory sensations during exposure and response prevention treatment in Tourette's syndromeCara W J Verdellen
Behav Modif 32:215-27. 2008Exposure to premonitory sensations and response prevention of tics (ER) has been shown to be a promising new treatment for Tourette's syndrome (TS)...
- Aripiprazole treatment of children and adolescents with Tourette disorder or chronic tic disorderWan Seok Seo
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 18:197-205. 2008....
- Voluntary motor drive: possible reduction in Tourette syndromeC A Heise
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Neural Transm 115:857-61. 2008..was compared with subjects of same age suffering from TS with (N = 6) and without (N = 6) presence of distal tics. Basic resting and active motor thresholds (RMT and AMT, respectively) as well as suprathreshold transcranial ..
- The successful use of ondansetron in a boy with both leukemia and Tourette syndromeRenata Rizzo
Section of Child Neuropsychiatry, Department of Pediatrics University of Catania, Azienda Policlinico, Catania, Italy
J Child Neurol 23:108-11. 2008..This not only relieved the target symptoms, but also those of his Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. Following a reduction of the ondansetron dosage, his Gilles de la Tourette syndrome symptoms reemerged...
- Role of atypical opiates in OCD. Experimental approach through the study of 5-HT(2A/C) receptor-mediated behaviorM Olga Rojas-Corrales
Group of Research and Development in Neuropsychopharmacology, Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cadiz, Plz Falla 9, 11003, Cadiz, Spain
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 190:221-31. 2007..Opiate drugs are also effective in treatment-refractory OCD and Tourette syndrome. The 5-HT2A-related behavior (i.e., head twitch) has been related with tics, stereotypes, and compulsive symptoms observed in Tourette syndrome and OCD.
- Investigating the effects of tic suppression on premonitory urge ratings in children and adolescents with Tourette's syndromeMichael B Himle
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, USA
Behav Res Ther 45:2964-76. 2007b>Tics represent a complex class of behaviors that have a neurobiological origin and are influenced by factors both internal and external to the individual. One factor that has gained recent attention is the premonitory urge...
- Tourette syndrome: the self under siegeJames F Leckman
Yale Child Study Center, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Child Neurol 21:642-9. 2006Tourette syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by motor and vocal tics--rapid, repetitive, stereotyped movements or vocalizations...
- Sensory phenomena, "just-right" and "not just-right" experiences in OCD patients: looking for a consensusHelena da Silva Prado
CNS Spectr 12:95-6. 2007
- Co-occurence of blepharospasm, tourettism and obsessive-compulsive symptoms during lamotrigine treatmentTunc Alkin
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1339-40. 2007
- [From tics to obsessive-compulsive disorders in children: a subsequent risk now recognized]P Fourneret
Arch Pediatr 10:464-5. 2003
- Concomitant use of atomoxetine and OROS-methylphenidate in a 10-year-old child suffering from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with comorbid bipolar disorder and Tourette syndromeSol Jaworowski
Department of Liaison Consultation Psychiatry, Shaare Zedek Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel 91031
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 16:365-70. 2006..Because possible side effects of pharmacological treatment for one diagnosis may exacerbate a comorbid condition, contingent management strategies, when using polypharmacy, are mandated...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of tics]H Topka
Klinik fur Neurologie, Klinische Neurophysiologie und Stroke Unit, Klinikum Munchen Bogenhausen
MMW Fortschr Med 149:4-7; quiz 8. 2007b>Tics are repetitive and sudden purposeless movements. Phenomenologically tics are differentiated as simple or complex, motor or vocal. Transient forms, which last less than 1 year, occur frequently in child hood...
- [An integrative approach of attention deficit in adolescence]Andrea Fabiana Abadi
Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vertex 17:458-64. 2006....
- [Clinical aspects of Tourette syndrome]Nanette M M Mol Debes
Glostrup Hospital, Børneafdeling L, Glostrup
Ugeskr Laeger 170:2701-3. 2008..syndrome (TS) is a hereditary, chronic, neurobiological disease, characterized by the presence of motor and vocal tics. The disease is often accompanied by other symptoms: Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Obsessive ..
- Atypical movement disorders in antiphospholipid syndromeDavide Martino
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, London, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 21:944-9. 2006..report here on 3 cases of APS (3 women ages 16, 46, and 56 years) who presented with movement disorders, including tics, tremor, myoclonus, and a corticobasal syndrome, never or rarely reported in association with this disease...
- Olanzapine in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome: beyond ticsF van den Eynde
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent University, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 105:206-11. 2005..double-blind, placebo controlled trials, antipsychotics are considered to be effective drugs for the treatment of tics in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (GTS)...
- Comorbid behavioural problems in Tourette's syndrome are positively correlated with the severity of tic symptomsYan Zhu
Mental Health Centre, The Second Affiliated Hospital Yu Quan Hospital of the Medical School, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:67-73. 2006..We studied the comorbid behavioural and mood problems in children with non-psychiatric Tourette's syndrome (TS) and their relationship with severity of tic disorder...
- [Disorders associated with the Gilles de la Tourette syndrome]J A Munoz-Yunta
Unidad de Neuropediatria, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 28:S156-9. 1999..In this study, we want to stress the relationship between precocious diagnostic criteria, proposed by us, and the associated symptomatology, specially the obsessive-compulsive disorder...
- Tourette's syndrome following temporal lobectomy for seizure controlZeina Chemali
Brigham Behavioral Neurology Group, Memory Disorders Unit, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 221 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Epilepsy Behav 4:564-6. 2003Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome (TS) is a neurobehavioral disorder characterized by multiple motor and vocal tics, occurring longer than a year and causing marked distress along with social and occupational impairments in level of ..
- Epigenetic abnormalities associated with a chromosome 18(q21-q22) inversion and a Gilles de la Tourette syndrome phenotypeMatthew W State
Child Study Center and Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:4684-9. 2003..GTS) is a potentially debilitating neuropsychiatric disorder defined by the presence of both vocal and motor tics. Despite evidence that this and a related phenotypic spectrum, including chronic tics (CT) and Obsessive Compulsive ..
- A placebo-controlled trial of risperidone in Tourette syndromeL Scahill
Child Study Center, School of Nursing, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Neurology 60:1130-5. 2003..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of risperidone in children and adults with Tourette syndrome...
- Treatment of vocal tics in children with Tourette syndrome: investigating the efficacy of habit reversalDouglas W Woods
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 53201, USA
J Appl Behav Anal 36:109-12. 2003Habit reversal was used to treat vocal tics in 5 children with Tourette syndrome. Vocal tics were reduced in 4 of the 5 children, the untreated motor tics did not increase, and treatment was acceptable to the children's parents.
- Movement disorders in children and adolescentsWilliam M McMahon
Departments of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Neurol Clin 20:1101-24, vii-viii. 2002..Most provocative is the new conceptual model of poststreptococcal autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder. Although unproven, substantial support for this model comes from immunologic, family, neuroimaging, and treatment studies...
- Novel Titanium Material for Orthopaedic Lumbar ImplantsSTANLEY ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..Dr. Bernard Pfeifer, of Lahey Clinic Medical Center, will supply direction from the perspective of a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon. ..
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora M Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2010Tourette's Syndrome (TS) is a childhood-onset neuropsychiatric illness characterized by motor and vocal tics. The cerebral cortex-basal ganglia circuitry regulates motor habits and goal-directed behavior...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2007Tourette's Syndrome (TS) is a childhood-onset neuropsychiatric illness characterized by motor and vocal tics. The cerebral cortex-basal ganglia circuitry regulates motor habits and goal-directed behavior...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2009Tourette's Syndrome (TS) is a childhood-onset neuropsychiatric illness characterized by motor and vocal tics. The cerebral cortex-basal ganglia circuitry regulates motor habits and goal-directed behavior...
- Dopaminergic Effects on Cortical Function in Tourette'sKevin Black; Fiscal Year: 2007..Neuroleptics and other drugs reduce tic severity, but all TS treatment is empiric since the pathophysiology of tics is incompletely understood...
- Dopaminergic Effects on Cortical Function in Tourette'sKevin J Black; Fiscal Year: 2010..Neuroleptics and other drugs reduce tic severity, but all TS treatment is empiric since the pathophysiology of tics is incompletely understood...
- Dopaminergic Effects on Cortical Function in Tourette'sKevin Black; Fiscal Year: 2009..Neuroleptics and other drugs reduce tic severity, but all TS treatment is empiric since the pathophysiology of tics is incompletely understood...
- Computer Directed Photodynamic Therapy of Prostate CaJerzy Jankun; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nanoparticles for Filtration of TICsSLAWOMIR WINECKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..The feasibility of Phase I research will be evaluated based on comparison of air filtration performance of nanoparticle metal oxides with activated carbons and other sorbents that are used currently. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND HEPATIC TOXICITY OF CARBON RADICALSPaul Ortiz de Montellano; Fiscal Year: 1999..The results should help to clarify tic role of peroxidatively generated radicals in toxicological processes and to uncover mechanisms for the suppression of such processes. ..
- Chronic Compression of the Trigeminal GangliaDavid Yeomans; Fiscal Year: 2007..These mechanistic studies, in turn, can lead to the determination of new targets for pharmacdceutical development, as well as for gene therapy approaches. ..
- Chronic Compression of the Trigeminal GangliaDavid Yeomans; Fiscal Year: 2009..These mechanistic studies, in turn, can lead to the determination of new targets for pharmacdceutical development, as well as for gene therapy approaches. ..
- Prospective Study of 'PANDAS'Wayne Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results will help determine if antimicrobial interventions are warranted in certain subtypes of pediatric OCD or TS. ..
- Prospective Study of 'PANDAS'Tanya Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will help determine if antimicrobial interventions are warranted in certain subtypes of pediatric OCD or TS. ..
- A Total Infection Control Foley Catheter SystemSHANTHA SARANGAPANI; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Locus Coeruleus-Norepinephrine System Regulation of Prepulse InhibitionVAISHALI BAKSHI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will study the neurobiology of the information-processing deficits seen in illnesses like schizophrenia in order to ultimately develop new treatments for these diseases. ..
- Locus Coeruleus-Norepinephrine System Regulation of Prepulse InhibitionVaishali P Bakshi; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will study the neurobiology of the information-processing deficits seen in illnesses like schizophrenia in order to ultimately develop new treatments for these diseases. ..
- Locus Coeruleus-Norepinephrine System Regulation of Prepulse InhibitionVAISHALI BAKSHI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will study the neurobiology of the information-processing deficits seen in illnesses like schizophrenia in order to ultimately develop new treatments for these diseases. ..
- Behavior Therapy for Children with Chronic Tic DisordersJohn Piacentini; Fiscal Year: 2007..Tourette Syndrome (TS), are neurobehavioral disorders characterized by a persistent pattern of motor and vocal tics. Tics can be brief, rapid and darting movements or more complex and purposeful in appearance...
- Small Non-Thrombogenic Rotary Mag Lev LVADSaid Jahanmir; Fiscal Year: 2006..The final LVAD design information will be licensed to MiTiHeart Corporation, a subsidiary of MiTi, for further animal testing and initiation of the FDA approval process. ..
- POPULATION GENETIC MAPPING OF TOURETTE SYNDROMENelson Freimer; Fiscal Year: 2002..location of genes responsible for Tourette Syndrome (TS), an inherited disorder characterized by motor and vocal tics. They plan studies of two genetically homogeneous populations that have expanded rapidly over the past few hundred ..
- MONOAMINE AND RELATED REGULATORY SYSTEMS IN TOURETTE'SBrian Ciliax; Fiscal Year: 2003..The findings of this study will help elucidate the neurochemical changes that occur in TS and might suggest novel therapeutic strategies. ..