Genomes and Genes
Summary: Damage or trauma inflicted to the eye by external means. The concept includes both surface injuries and intraocular injuries.
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Ocular trauma in an urban population in southern India: the Andhra Pradesh Eye Disease StudyL Dandona
Public Health Ophthalmology Service, LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 28:350-6. 2000..To assess the cumulative prevalence of ocular trauma and presence of vision loss due to ocular trauma in an urban population in southern India...
- The Ocular Trauma Score (OTS)Ferenc Kuhn
United States Eye Injury Registry, Helen Keller Foundation for Research and Education, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 15:163-5, vi. 2002..The authors used the databases of the United States and Hungarian Eye Injury Registries and, with a grant from the National Center for Injury Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, designed such a system...
- Birmingham Eye Trauma Terminology (BETT): terminology and classification of mechanical eye injuriesFerenc Kuhn
United States Eye Injury Registry, Helen Keller Foundation for Research and Education, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 15:139-43, v. 2002..This article presents an internationally standardized system that finally allows accurate description of eye injuries of all types.
- Compressed air injury of the orbit in the absence of external traumaR Caesar
Eye (Lond) 17:661-2. 2003
- Case-control study on the prevention of occupational eye injuriesChi Kung Ho
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, and Graduate Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 24:10-6. 2008The risk factors for occupational eye injuries have never been published in Taiwan...
- The prevalence and 5-year incidence of ocular trauma. The Beaver Dam Eye StudyT Y Wong
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Ophthalmology 107:2196-202. 2000..To describe the cumulative lifetime prevalence and 5-year incidence of ocular trauma and their relation to risk factors in a defined white adult population living in a small town...
- Induction of corneal epithelium-like cells from cynomolgus monkey embryonic stem cells and their experimental transplantation to damaged corneaYuta Kumagai
Department of Ophthalmology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Cornea 29:432-8. 2010....
- Cyclodialysis cleft: causes and repairAlexander S Ioannidis
Glaucoma Service, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 21:150-4. 2010..To report the most recent developments in the diagnosis and management of cyclodialysis clefts...
- Pediatric eye injuries in a Canadian emergency departmentDominik W Podbielski
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 44:519-22. 2009This study assesses the descriptive epidemiology of children with eye injuries presenting to the emergency department of a major Canadian pediatric hospital.
- Traumatic expulsive aniridia after phacoemulsificationAvinash Prabhu
Warrington Hospital, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Indian J Ophthalmol 55:232-3. 2007..Small, self-sealing incision cataract surgery is changing the pattern of presentation of such cases, with relatively favorable outcomes. We describe a case of blunt trauma following phacoemulsification leading to aniridia...
- Traumatic total iridectomy after clear corneal cataract extractionMalik Y Kahook
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:1659-60. 2005..We present a case of traumatic aniridia post cataract extraction which illustrates the importance of wound dimensions and construction...
- Hospitalized eye injury in a large industrial city of South-Eastern AsiaCheng Hsien Chang
Department of Ophthalmology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Sanmin District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:223-8. 2008..The purpose of this study is to assess the frequency, causes, mechanisms, functional outcomes and costs of hospitalized eye injuries in a large industrial city in South Eastern Asia.
- Mystery of the vanishing irisJames Ball
Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:180-1. 2002..This case provides insight into the properties of the self-sealing corneal tunnel and possible advantages that it may confer on the eye...
- Prognostic indicators for open globe injuryMarc Rofail
Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:783-6. 2006..The purpose of the study is to identify factors predictive of outcome after open globe injury in 273 patients admitted to the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Queensland, Australia between 1992 and 2003...
- Fishing-related ocular traumaD Virgil Alfaro
Retina Consultants of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina 29414, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:488-92. 2005..To evaluate the characteristics of fishing-related ocular injuries...
- Traumatic macular hole: observations, pathogenesis, and results of vitrectomy surgeryR N Johnson
Retina Research Fund of St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94109, USA
Ophthalmology 108:853-7. 2001..The visual acuity improved two or more lines in 21 (84%) cases, and 16 (64%) achieved 20/50 or better vision. CONCLUSIONS: Vitrectomy surgery can successfully close macular holes associated with trauma and improve vision...
- Trends in eye injury in the United States, 1992-2001Gerald McGwin
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0009, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:521-7. 2006..To report the trends of eye injury in the United States from 1992 through 2001...
- Epidemiology of childhood ocular trauma in a northeastern Colombian regionJuan C Serrano
Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Fundación Oftalmológica de Santander Clínica Carlos Ardila Lülle, Bucaramanga, Colombia
Arch Ophthalmol 121:1439-45. 2003..To describe the epidemiology of ocular trauma in children 15 years and younger who underwent evaluation during a 5-year period in the emergency department of a tertiary referral center in northeastern Colombia...
- The global impact of eye injuriesA D Negrel
Programme for the Prevention of Blindness and Deafness, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 5:143-69. 1998Using data compiled from the ophthalmic literature and WHO's Blindness Data Bank, the available information on eye injuries from an epidemiological and public health perspective has been extensively reviewed...
- Eye injuries in Singapore--don't risk it. Do more. A prospective studyJyh Haur Woo
Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 35:706-18. 2006The purpose of this study was to characterise and describe the epidemiology of all eye injuries presenting to the National University Hospital (NUH).
- Eye injury (ocular trauma) in southern Turkey: epidemiology, ocular survival, and visual outcomeMerih Soylu
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Cukurova, School of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Int Ophthalmol 30:143-8. 2010..To evaluate the epidemiology and outcome of ocular trauma in southern Turkey...
- Airbags and bilateral eye injury: five case reports and a review of the literatureW B Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Emerg Med 20:129-34. 2001We report five cases of bilateral eye injuries from airbag deployment in motor vehicle crashes and review the world's literature on ocular injuries associated with airbags...
- Pathogenesis of transient high myopia after blunt eye traumaNaohiro Ikeda
Department of Ophthalmology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya shi, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
Ophthalmology 109:501-7. 2002..To determine the pathogenesis of transient high myopia after blunt eye trauma...
- Large subconjunctival emphysema causing diplopia and lagophthalmosI Kaiserman
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Eur J Ophthalmol 13:86-7. 2003..To describe a patient who developed diplopia, lagophthalmos and exposure keratopathy due to a large subconjunctival emphysema...
- [Epidemiology of work-related eye injuries]Imen Zghal-Mokni
institut Hedi Rais d ophtalmologie de Tunis
Tunis Med 85:576-9. 2007..They can be a major source of visuel loss and blindness. The aim is to study the epidemiology of work-related ocular injuries: objects frequencies,works most exposed...
- Risk factors for motor vehicle collision-related eye injuriesGerald McGwin
Department of Epidemiology and International Health, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 123:89-95. 2005..To evaluate the association between specific occupant, collision, and vehicle characteristics and the risk of motor vehicle collision (MVC)-related eye injury...
- Eye injuries in children and adolescents: a report of 205 casesAdeyinka O Ashaye
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 101:51-6. 2009To investigate the causes, place, type and visual outcome of eye injuries necessitating hospitalization in children and adolescents.
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy after traumaErik F Kruger
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, 02114, USA
Int Ophthalmol Clin 42:129-43. 2002
- Industrial accident-related ocular emergencies in a tertiary hospital in SingaporeC S Ngo
Department of Ophthalmology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Singapore Med J 49:280-5. 2008..We present a review of industrial accident-related ocular trauma, from the perspective of the emergency setting of a tertiary hospital in Singapore...
- Hypotony maculopathy: improvement of visual acuity after 7 yearsM F Delgado
Glaucoma Research and Education Group, 490 Post St, Ste. 644, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:931-3. 2001..CONCLUSION: The development of hypotony maculopathy leads to impairment of visual acuity. This case demonstrates that visual acuity can improve after resolution of the maculopathy even after several years of hypotony...
- Pediatric ocular trauma in TaiwanChing Hsing Lee
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Gueishan Township, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 31:59-65. 2008..Ocular trauma is a significant problem in pediatric patients. The aim of this investigation was to evaluate the demographic, etiologic and prophylactic factors of pediatric ocular trauma in a tertiary center in northern Taiwan...
- Airbags and eye injuries: epidemiology, spectrum of injury, and analysis of risk factorsJ A Pearlman
Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21289, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 46:234-42. 2001..Data derived from analyses of these injuries will be critical to the development of safer, more effective devices...
- Ultrasonic biomicroscopic evaluation of cyclodialysis before and after direct cyclopexyJeong Min Hwang
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seongnam, Korea
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1222-5. 2008..To investigate the clinical manifestations and surgical prognoses after direct cyclopexy in patients with traumatic cyclodialysis according to the cleft extent as determined by ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM)...
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy after eye injuries: an overexpression of growth factors and cytokines leading to a retinal keloidFrancesco Morescalchi
Ophthalmology Clinic, Spedali Civili di Brescia, Department of Medical and Surgical Specialties, Radiological Specialties and Public Health, University of Brescia, 1 Piazzale Spedali Civili, Brescia 25123, Italy
Mediators Inflamm 2013:269787. 2013..This literature review included PubMed articles published from 1979 through 2013. Only studies written in English were included. ..
- Clinical pattern of pediatric ocular trauma in fast developing countryHuda S Al-Mahdi
Dept of Ophthalmology, Rumailah and Hamad General Hospitals, Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar
Int Emerg Nurs 19:186-91. 2011..Ocular trauma is a significant problem in pediatric patients. Also, leads to visual loss throughout the world there are no data of pediatric ocular trauma in Arabian Gulf Countries in the current literature...
- Work-related eye injuries treated in hospital emergency departments in the USHuiyun Xiang
Center for Injury Research and Policy, Columbus Children s Research Institute and Children s Hospital, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, 700 Children s Drive, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Am J Ind Med 48:57-62. 2005b>Eye injuries account for 3.3% of all occupational injuries resulting in lost workdays in private industry in the United States...
- A case-crossover study on transient risk factors of work-related eye injuriesS Y Chen
Department of Anesthesiology, E Da Hospital, I Shio University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Occup Environ Med 66:517-22. 2009To investigate modifiable risk and preventive factors of work-related eye injuries.
- Eyelid avulsion repair with bi-canalicular silicone stenting without medial canthal tendon reconstructionNaing L Tint
Department of Ophthalmology, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 95:1389-92. 2011....
- A population-based survey of hospitalized work-related ocular injury: diagnoses, cause of injury, resource utilization, and hospitalization outcomeR S Baker
UCLA School of Medicine Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 6:159-69. 1999..6 million when work-related ocular trauma is the principal admitting diagnosis and $40 million for admissions where ocular trauma is either a principal or secondary diagnosis...
- Pediatric fireworks-related injuries in the United States: 1990-2003Rachel J Witsaman
Center for Injury Research and Policy, Columbus Children s Research Institute, Children s Hospital, 700 Children s Dr, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Pediatrics 118:296-303. 2006..Our goal was to describe the epidemiology of pediatric fireworks-related injuries among children aged 19 years and younger by using a nationally representative sample...
- Ocular trauma injuries: a 1-year surveillance study in the University of Malaya Medical Centre, Malaysia. 2008Terrence Kwong Weng Soong
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 249:1755-60. 2011..To describe the epidemiology of ocular injuries presenting to the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia...
- Major pediatric ocular trauma in TaiwanMei ling Liu
Department of Ophthalmology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital Dou Liou Branch, Yunlin, Taiwan
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 47:88-95. 2010..To investigate major pediatric ocular trauma in Taiwan...
- Ocular morbidity associated with airbag deployment: a report of seven cases and a review of the literatureD C Ball
Department of Ophthalmology, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Cornea 20:159-63. 2001..RESULTS: Seven cases from our medical center were identified to involve airbag-related eye injuries. The ages of the patients ranged from 4 to 73 years...
- Pattern of pediatric ocular trauma in IndiaRohit Saxena
Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pediatr 69:863-7. 2002..The aim of the study is to identify the causes, demographic and clinical profile and evaluate final visual outcome of pediatric ocular injuries...
- Management of canalicular lacerations: epidemiological aspects and experience with Mini-Monoka monocanalicular stentMilind N Naik
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, LV Prasad Eye Institute, LV Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, India
Am J Ophthalmol 145:375-380. 2008..To report the epidemiological data, clinical profile, and surgical outcome of canalicular lacerations in an Indian population...
- Eye injury in migrant farm workers and suggested hazard controlsS E Lacey
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612, USA
J Agric Saf Health 13:259-74. 2007..A review of the literature was performed to summarize the mechanisms of eye injuries in agriculture...
- Secondary prosthetic iris implantation following traumatic total aniridia and pseudophakiaFaruk Ozturk
University of Afyon Kocatepe, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Afyon, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1968-70. 2006..Following surgery, glare was no longer present and excellent visual acuity was maintained. We believe these are the first pseudophakic patients with traumatic total aniridia to be managed by this approach...
- Epidemiological study of ocular trauma in an urban slum population in Delhi, IndiaS Vats
Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 56:313-6. 2008..To study the epidemiology and clinical profile of victims of ocular trauma in an urban slum population...
- Firecracker eye injuries during Deepavali festival: a case seriesRavi Kumar
Department of Ophthalmology, Minto Ophthalmic Hospital, Bangalore, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 58:157-9. 2010..Ten patients were admitted for further management. As ocular firecracker injuries result in significant morbidity, public education regarding proper use of firecrackers may help in reducing the incidence of ocular injuries...
- Hospital-admitted eye injury in Victoria, AustraliaSimon Raymond
School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 38:566-71. 2010..This study further investigates the epidemiology of eye injury in Victoria, specifically hospital-admitted eye injury...
- Surgical intervention for traumatic cataracts in children: Epidemiology, complications, and outcomesAshvini K Reddy
Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030 2316, USA
J AAPOS 13:170-4. 2009..To describe the presentation, treatment, and outcomes of a series of patients with unilateral traumatic cataracts...
- The prevalence and risk factors of ocular trauma: the Singapore Indian eye studyDaniel Chua
Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 18:281-7. 2011..To describe the prevalence and risk factors of ocular trauma in an urban Southeast Asian population...
- Epidemiology and sociodemographic aspects of ocular traumatic injuries in IranAlireza Keshtkar Jafari
Department of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Research Center, Farabi Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 13185 1678, Tehran, Iran
Int Ophthalmol 30:691-6. 2010..001). History of eye trauma is a risk factor for globe injuries and female gender is a risk factor only for non-globe injuries. These two factors may predict future eye injury and increase its risk by 5.2 and 1.6 times, respectively...
- Profile of pediatric ocular trauma in mid western hilly region of NepalS Dulal
Nepal Netra Jyoti Sangh Central Office, Kathmandu, Nepal
Nepal J Ophthalmol 4:134-7. 2012..Majority of blinding ocular injuries can be prevented...
- Eye injuries on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan: public health implicationsAdrienne B Ari
United States Army, Fort Rucker, Alabama, USA
Optometry 77:329-39. 2006..Unfortunately, the incidence of combat eye injuries has increased over time, despite the development of protective measures.
- Traumatic aniridia in a pseudophakic eyeWaqar Muzaffar
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:361-2. 2006..The self-sealing cataract section acts as a release valve during the compressive phase and allows extrusion of the disinserted iris tissue, whereas the flexible IOL absorbs the impact and prevents disruption of surrounding tissues...
- Traumatic aniridia after small incision cataract extractionHiten G Sheth
Department of Ophthalmology, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7NH, UK
Cont Lens Anterior Eye 29:163-4. 2006..Phacoemulsification and falls are both common in the elderly population. We present a case of acquired total aniridia and vitreous haemorrhage occurring as a result of trauma in a pseudophakic eye...
- Aerosol container-related eye injuries in the United States: 1997-2009Carly J Seidman
Department of Community Health, Alpert Medical School, Brown University, Providence, RI 02908, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 151:1041-1046.e1. 2011To quantify and characterize eye injuries related to aerosol container consumer products treated in United States hospital emergency departments (EDs) from 1997 through 2009.
- Blast eye injuries: a review for first respondersMichael G Morley
Department of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 4:154-60. 2010..Secondary blast injuries, resulting from flying fragments and debris, cause the majority of eye injuries among blast victims...
- Expulsion of an intraocular lens through a clear corneal woundPreston H Blomquist
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:592-4. 2003..This case illustrates the potential for expulsion of foldable IOLs through small clear corneal incisions even several years after surgery...
- Pediatric eye injuries treated in US emergency departments, 1990-2009Katherine A Pollard
Center for Injury Research and Policy, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 51:374-81. 2012This study investigates activity- and consumer product-related eye injuries treated in US hospital emergency departments among children <18 years old using National Electronic Injury Surveillance System data from 1990 through 2009...
- [Pediatric ocular trauma. Retrospective study 1997-1999]Camelia Bogdănici
Facultatea de Medicină Clinica I Oftalmologie, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 106:762-7. 2002..In conclusions, ocular trauma occurs most frequently in the home setting, after sharp tools. It is necessary to treat trauma early and complete for prevention amblyopia...
- Pediatric eye injuries related to consumer products in the United States, 1997-2006Jennifer Moren Cross
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0009, USA
J AAPOS 12:626-8. 2008This study examines which consumer products are most commonly associated with pediatric eye injuries that are treated in emergency departments in the United States...
- Pattern and visual outcome of eye injuries in children at Abakaliki, NigeriaG C Onyekonwu
Department of Ophthalmology, Ebonyi State University Teaching Hospital, Abakiliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 27:152-4. 2008..Most studies on ocular injuries have been conducted in urban areas to the neglect of other areas...
- Pattern of ocular traumaM M Hossain
Department of Ophthalmology, Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Mymensingh Med J 20:377-80. 2011..Visual acuity on admission between 6/60 to PL comprises highest number (64%) and also on discharge between 6/60 to PL comprises highest number of cases (50%). Most of the patients came from poor socioeconomic group (60%)...
- A case-crossover study of risk factors for occupational eye injuriesJustin Blackburn
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Occup Environ Med 54:42-7. 2012To study transient risk factors for occupational eye injuries.
- Traumatic wound dehiscence following cataract surgery: a thing of the past?J L Ball
The Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton, UK
Eye (Lond) 15:42-4. 2001..This study compares the frequencies of traumatic wound dehiscence following extracapsular cataract extraction (ECCE) and following phacoemulsification through a self-sealing corneoscleral tunnel...
- Work-related eye injury: the main cause of ocular trauma in IranMohammad Reza Mansouri
Department of Ophthalmology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Ophthalmol 20:770-5. 2010Occupational eye injuries are among the major causes of ocular trauma and can cause severe visual impairment, with even minor injuries incurring considerable financial costs due to work absenteeism...
- Ocular trauma epidemiology: 10-year retrospective studyArchana Pandita
Department of Ophthalmology, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton
N Z Med J 125:61-9. 2012..This study is performed to determine the epidemiology and incidence of ocular trauma in Waikato, New Zealand...
- Outcome of in-the-bag implanted square-edge polymethyl methacrylate intraocular lenses with and without primary posterior capsulotomy in pediatric traumatic cataractNeelam Verma
Advanced Eye Centre, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 59:347-51. 2011..To study the outcome of in-the-bag implanted square-edge polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) intraocular lenses (IOL) with and without primary posterior capsulotomy in pediatric traumatic cataract...
- Ocular injuries in children after major traumaTracey A Garcia
Department of Pediatric Surgery, The Childrens Hospital, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 42:349-54. 2005..To determine the variety of ocular injuries sustained by children during major trauma...
- Epidemiology of ocular trauma among the elderly in a developing countryOluwatoyin Helen Onakpoya
Ophthalmology Unit, Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 17:315-20. 2010..To study the epidemiology of ocular trauma among the elderly in a developing country...
- Work-related eye injuries and illnessesW F Peate
University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5210, USA
Am Fam Physician 75:1017-22. 2007More than 65,000 work-related eye injuries and illnesses, causing significant morbidity and disability, are reported in the United States annually...
- Toy gun ocular injuries associated with festive holidays in KuwaitManal Bouhaimed
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, State of Kuwait
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:463-7. 2009..Prevalence of pediatric ocular trauma associated with toy guns appear to be on the rise, although they are fully preventable. The purpose of this study is to report ocular trauma secondary to toy-gun pellets in Kuwait...
- Traumatic subconjunctival crystalline lens dislocationNazife Sefi Yurdakul
Izmir Ataturk Education and Research Hospital, Department of Ophthalmology, Izmir, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:2407-10. 2003..To evaluate the clinical features and visual outcomes in patients with traumatic subconjunctival crystalline lens dislocation...
- Surgical management of traumatic macular hole-related retinal detachmentYen Po Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kuei Shan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Ophthalmol 140:331-3. 2005..To investigate the clinical characteristics and surgical outcome of traumatic macular hole-related retinal detachment...
- Spontaneous resolution of traumatic macular hole-related retinal detachmentMichael M Lai
Associated Retinal Consultants, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 141:1148-51. 2006..To report a case of spontaneous resolution of traumatic macular hole-related retinal detachment...
- Traumatic phacocele: review of eight casesKasturi Bhattacharjee
Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Beltola, Guwahati 781 028, Assam, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 55:466-8. 2007..This study provides evidence that timely and effective intervention can ensure good visual recovery...
- Anterior segment optical coherence tomography-aided diagnosis and primary posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation with fibrin glue in traumatic phacocele with scleral perforationGaurav Prakash
Dr Agarwal s Eye Hospital and Eye Research Centre, Chennai, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:782-4. 2009..To our knowledge, this is the first report of successful implantation of a glued IOL as a primary procedure combined with scleral perforation repair...
- [Traumatic luxation of the globe into the maxilar sinus]D Weil
Hospital de Clinicas Jose de San Martin, Servicio de Oftalmologia, Sección de Orbita, Plástica y Vías Lagrimales, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 76:445-6. 2001..We present a case of traumatic luxation of the ocular globe into the maxillary sinus...
- Optical coherence tomography findings in commotio retinaParul Sony
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:621-3. 2006..Increased reflectivity on OCT in eyes with commotio retinae probably denotes photoreceptor outer segment disruption and seems to be reversible to a variable extent...
- Comparison of epilenticular IOL implantation vs technique of anterior and primary posterior capsulorhexis with anterior vitrectomy in paediatric cataract surgeryA Rastogi
Pediatric Ophthalmology Service, Guru Nanak Eye Centre, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India
Eye (Lond) 21:1367-74. 2007....
- Prevalence and risk factors of ocular trauma in an urban south-east Asian population: the Singapore Malay Eye StudySeng C Loon
Singapore Eye Research Institute, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:362-7. 2009..To describe the prevalence and risk factors of ocular trauma in an urban Asian population...
- [Traumatic cataract--treatment results]Małgorzata Woś
Oddziału Okulistyki Wojewódzkiego Szpitala Specjalistycznego im Ludwika Rydygiera w Krakowie
Klin Oczna 106:31-4. 2004..Analysis included factors related to type of treatment, time from the trauma to surgery, frequency and type of complications...
- Ultrasound biomicroscopy for the assessment of zonules after ocular traumaJohn A McWhae
University of Calgary, 201, 506 71st Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2V 4V4, Canada
Ophthalmology 110:1340-3. 2003..These patients might develop traumatic cataract or glaucoma requiring surgery. If occult zonular defects can be identified preoperatively, this might lead to a modified surgical technique and improved outcomes...
- Serious eye injuries caused by bottles containing carbonated drinksF Kuhn
University of Alabama at Birmingham, and American Society of Ocular Trauma, 1201 11th Avenue South, Suite 300, Birmingham, AL 35205, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 88:69-71. 2004To analyse serious eye injuries caused by bottles containing pressurised drinks.
- Childhood eye injuries in North JordanM D Al-Bdour
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid
Int Ophthalmol 22:269-73. 1998To provide epidemiological data on serious eye injuries among children that can be utilized in planning health education and safety strategies for preventing such injuries.
- Incidence of emergency department-treated eye injury in the United StatesGerald McGwin
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 700 S 18th Street, Birmingham, AL 35294 0009, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 123:662-6. 2005..To present the descriptive epidemiology of emergency department-treated eye injury in the United States...
- A five-year retrospective study of the epidemiological characteristics and visual outcomes of patients hospitalized for ocular trauma in a Mediterranean areaSalvatore Cillino
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Ophthalmology Section, Palermo University, Italy
BMC Ophthalmol 8:6. 2008..To determine the epidemiological characteristics and visual outcome of ocular trauma in southern Italy...
- Rate of eye injury in the United StatesGerald McGwin
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 700 S 18th Street, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 123:970-6. 2005..To provide a comprehensive estimate of the rate of eye injury in the United States...
- The Persian Wednesday Eve Festival "Charshanbe-Soori" fireworks eye injuries: a case seriesMohammad Reza Mansouri
Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:17-24. 2007To describe the clinical spectrum and severity of eye injuries sustained during the Persian Wednesday Eve Festival "Charshanbe-Soori" and to identify the fireworks devices involved.
- Spontaneous closure of traumatic macular holeHaruhiko Yamada
Department of Ophthalmology, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 134:340-7. 2002..To investigate the mechanism by which traumatic macular hole closes spontaneously...
- Pattern of ocular trauma in EgyptMahmoud M Soliman
Department of Ophthalmology, Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University, El Manial, Cairo, Egypt
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:205-12. 2008..To review the epidemiology of serious ocular trauma presenting to Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University...
- Eye injuries in rural Victoria, AustraliaSimon Raymond
School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:698-702. 2009..Eye injury causes significant morbidity and is a leading cause of blindness worldwide. This study investigates the incidence, spectrum and patterns of eye injury presenting to a rural hospital in Victoria, Australia...
- Spontaneous closure of traumatic macular holeTakehiro Yamashita
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagoshima University Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima shi, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 133:230-5. 2002..To report eight cases of spontaneous closure of traumatic macular hole...
- A case-control study of eye injuries in the workplace in Hong KongTak Sun Ignatius Yu
Department of Community and Family Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Ophthalmology 111:70-4. 2004Eye injury in the workplace is common worldwide. This study proposed to explore both risk and preventive factors re eye injuries in Hong Kong.
- The epidemiology of ocular trauma in rural NepalS K Khatry
Nepal Nutrition Intervention Project Sarlahi NNIPS, Nepal Netra Jyoti Sangh, PO Box 335, Tripureswor, Kathmandu, Nepal
Br J Ophthalmol 88:456-60. 2004..To estimate the incidence of ocular injury in rural Nepal and identify details about these injuries that predict poor visual outcome...
- Pediatric airbag-associated ocular trauma and endothelial cell lossW Walker Motley
Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, OH, USA
J AAPOS 7:380-3. 2003..Laboratory experiments suggest that airbag-associated ocular trauma may cause endothelial cell loss, but reports of in vivo human endothelial cell counts are anecdotal...
- Visual outcome of pressurised bottled drinks related eye injuries in IbadanC O Bekibele
Department of Ophthalmology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 32:85-8. 2003Records of 15 patients presenting with pressurised bottled drinks related eye injuries between January 1996 and 2001 were reviewed to identify factors contributing to accidental eye injuries from pressurised bottled drinks, reason for ..
- Ocular trauma in a rural population of southern India: the Andhra Pradesh Eye Disease StudySannapaneni Krishnaiah
L V Prasad Eye Institute, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, India
Ophthalmology 113:1159-64. 2006..To determine the prevalence of ocular trauma and proportion of blindness and visual impairment due to ocular trauma in a rural population of southern India...
- Self-inflicted eye injuries: a reviewN Patton
Department of Ophthalmology, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh, UK
Eye (Lond) 18:867-72. 2004To review the pathogenesis, clinical characteristics, and management of self-inflicted eye injuries.
- Scratch and Impact Resistant Coating for Safety EyewearVINAY SAKHRANI; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): It has been estimated that 90% of all eye injuries could have been avoided if proper safety eyewear had been used...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. workers have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment. Even more eye injuries occur in the home;with about 125,000 eye injuries a year caused by accidents involving common household ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..S. workers have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment. Even more eye injuries occur in the home;with about 125,000 eye injuries a year caused by accidents involving common household ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2009..and because rabbits used in tests to identify ocular hazards can experience significant pain and distress when eye injuries occur...
- Targeted Gene Therapy and Nanomedicine Approaches to Treat Corneal DiseasesRAJIV RAVINDRA MOHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..5 million Americans each year. Despite the use of combat eye protection, eye injuries occurred in 16% of our wounded troops in Afghanistan and Iraq...
- Stem cell and regeneration regulatory genes in planariansPETER REDDIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..eyes will be injured partially or completely to investigate whether eye precursors are induced by small eye injuries and in appropriate numbers tailored to the injury type...
- Pre-mRNA Interference of VEGF Pathways in Ocular AngiogenesisBalamurali K Ambati; Fiscal Year: 2013..neovascularization will hopefully facilitate vision restoration in soldiers or veterans who sustained combat eye injuries. Of the more than 1 million veterans with low vision (defined as less than 20/70), about half are due to ..
- Molecular targets of Corneal Anti-fibrosisRoyce Mohan; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the US alone, work-related eye injuries account for over 50,000 cases per year, while on the battlefield, US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan succumb ..
- A HAND-HELD CONFOCAL SCANNING OPHTHALMOSCOPEJIM HANG; Fiscal Year: 2001..there are no compact or rugged non- mydriatic ophthalmpscopes for field use, the diagnosis and treatment of eye injuries require trained specialists at remote locations from emergency rooms or primary care facilities...
- Superior Scratch Resistant Coating for Safety EyewearVINAY SAKHRANI; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) An estimated 90% of all eye injuries are avoidable with the use of proper safety eye protection...
- Drew Minority Research Infrastructure Support ProgramRichard Baker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Delivery systems of special importance include safety net environments such as public hospitals and community health centers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROLE OF TGFBETA IN CORNEAL STROMAL WOUND HEALINGJames V Jester; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Work-related Injuries Among Immigrant WorkersHuiyun Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effectiveness of patient lift equipmentHester Lipscomb; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed work addresses several NIOSH priority areas including health care workers, back injuries, and intervention effectiveness research. ..
- Examining Contingency Control Deficits in Autism and MRLouis Hagopian; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed investigation can be used to set up future comparative research to contrast EF and operant approaches to the performance deficits displayed by individuals with autism. ..
- EYE GROWTH DURING INFANCYScott Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, by understanding the mechanisms retarding ocular growth, it may be possible to modulate the excessive ocular growth which occurs in certain pathological conditions such as retinopathy of prematurity. ..
- Matrix and Morphogenesis ConferenceMARION GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2002..This meeting provides a unique opportunity for senior and junior scientists to gather and discuss the latest and most advanced results in the field of extracellular matrix and morphogenesis. ..
- Gene Gun Technology, Opioids, and Corneal DiseasesIAN ZAGON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, such data can be employed to design molecular strategies to remedy visual dysfunction. ..
- Development of an Orbital Endoscope for NeuroprotectionLouise Mawn; Fiscal Year: 2003..Collaboration on this unprecedented approach includes the expertise of an orbital surgeon/neuroophthalmologist, glaucoma specialist and optical engineer. ..
- GENETICS OF AGED RELATED CATARACTS IN SALISBURY MARYLANDNathan Congdon; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- KERATOCYTE CRYSTALLIN PROTEINS AND CORNEAL TRANSPARENCYJAMES JESTER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- ECONOMIC IMPACT OF INJURY/ILLNESS IN CAREER ROOFERSLaura Welch; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) Assess and describe the impact of work-related conditions and aging on the ability of roofers to remain employed in their trade. ..
- Back Disorders in Union CarpentersHester Lipscomb; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project addresses a number of areas of expressed interest to NIOSH including construction workers, back disorders, surveillance methods and health services research. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Expressions of Specialized Collagens in the CorneaMarion K Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2010..The alterations in fibril architecture resulting from the dominant negative phenotype will be evaluated by transmission electron microscopy. ..
- Ultrasound-Enhanced Delivery of Medications to the EyeRonald Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will visualize the distribution of the molecules within the sclera, choroid and retina to evaluate transport and characterize any tissue damage that might have occurred microscopically and by apoptosis assays. ..
- Thymosin beta 4 and Corneal Wound HealingGabriel Sosne; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Development of a Skin Cancer Quality of Life InsturmentJohn Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- WORK AND HEALTH DISPARITIES AMONG RURAL WOMENHester Lipscomb; Fiscal Year: 2004..Education will also be targeted to medical providers in this geographic area on work exposures and conditions, exposure response, prevention, basic epidemiology, and ergonomics. ..
- Role of Retinal Microvasculature in Posterior UveitisJustine Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..The studies should also have implications for unrelated diseases affecting the retinal circulation, as well as tissue-specific inflammations and infections at other body sites. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Thymosin beta 4 and Autoimmune Ocular Surface DiseaseGabriel Sosne; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..