Genomes and Genes
Summary: Primary and metastatic (secondary) tumors of the brain located above the tentorium cerebelli, a fold of dura mater separating the CEREBELLUM and BRAIN STEM from the cerebral hemispheres and DIENCEPHALON (i.e., THALAMUS and HYPOTHALAMUS and related structures). In adults, primary neoplasms tend to arise in the supratentorial compartment, whereas in children they occur more frequently in the infratentorial space. Clinical manifestations vary with the location of the lesion, but SEIZURES; APHASIA; HEMIANOPSIA; hemiparesis; and sensory deficits are relatively common features. Metastatic supratentorial neoplasms are frequently multiple at the time of presentation.
Publications211 found, 100 shown here
- Both location and age predict survival in ependymoma: a SEER studyCourtney S McGuire
Department of Neurology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 52:65-9. 2009..Using a population-based registry of ependymomas, we analyzed how age, gender, location, race and radiotherapy influence survival in children...
- Spontaneous malignant transformation of a supratentorial pilocytic astrocytomaA Otero-Rodríguez
Servicios de Neurocirugía, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Valladolid, Espana
Neurocirugia (Astur) 21:245-52. 2010..Also, we review the literature about prognostic factors of PA and discuss histological features that are considered as anaplastic or malignant in the PA...
- Randomized comparison of stereotactic radiosurgery followed by conventional radiotherapy with carmustine to conventional radiotherapy with carmustine for patients with glioblastoma multiforme: report of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 93-05 protocolLuis Souhami
Department of Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:853-60. 2004..We investigated the effect of stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) added to conventional external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) with carmustine (BCNU) on the survival of patients with GBM...
- Oral trofosfamide and etoposide in pediatric patients with glioblastoma multiformeJ E Wolff
University of Calgary, c o Alberta Children s Hospital, Alberta, Canada
Cancer 89:2131-7. 2000..The Pediatric Oncology Society of the Germanic language group (GPOH) enrolls patients in a series of pilot trials, the first of which is reported here (HIT-GBM-A)...
- Selection of eligible patients with supratentorial glioblastoma multiforme for gross total resectionJ Shinoda
Department of Neurosurgery, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
J Neurooncol 52:161-71. 2001..In Stage III, radical gross total tumor resection is not recommended at present...
- Distinct genetic signatures among pilocytic astrocytomas relate to their brain region originMukesh K Sharma
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cancer Res 67:890-900. 2007..These results suggest that glial tumors share an intrinsic, lineage-specific molecular signature that reflects the brain region in which their nonmalignant predecessors originated...
- A phase II study of temozolomide in patients with newly diagnosed supratentorial malignant glioma before radiation therapyMark R Gilbert
Department of Neuro Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Neuro Oncol 4:261-7. 2002..Temozolomide was safe and effective in treating newly diagnosed GBM and AA before radiotherapy. This pre-irradiation treatment approach appears promising, but will require additional evaluation in comparative studies...
- A phase II trial of accelerated radiotherapy using weekly stereotactic conformal boost for supratentorial glioblastoma multiforme: RTOG 0023Robert Cardinale
Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65:1422-8. 2006....
- Phase I three-dimensional conformal radiation dose escalation study in newly diagnosed glioblastoma: Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Trial 98-03Christina Tsien
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:699-708. 2009..To evaluate in a Phase I trial the feasibility and toxicity of dose-escalated three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3D-CRT) concurrent with chemotherapy in patients with primary supratentorial glioblastoma (GBM)...
- Thalamic and hypothalamic tumors of childhood: endocrine late effectsS E Oberfield
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Pediatric Oncology, Babies and Children s Hospital of New York, NY 10032, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 32:264-71. 2000..Issues of metabolic disturbances such as obesity, altered body composition/bone density as well as ultimate fertility also need to be addressed by ongoing prospective evaluations...
- One week on/one week off: a novel active regimen of temozolomide for recurrent glioblastomaW Wick
Department of General Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen Medical School, Germany
Neurology 62:2113-5. 2004..Two patients achieved a partial response (10%), and 17 patients (81%) had stable disease. The median progression-free survival was 5 months. The progression-free survival at 6 months was 48%...
- Phase II Radiation Therapy Oncology Group trial of conventional radiation therapy followed by treatment with recombinant interferon-beta for supratentorial glioblastoma: results of RTOG 9710Howard Colman
Department of Neuro Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:818-24. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine whether recombinant human interferon beta-1a (rhIFN-beta), when given after radiation therapy, improves survival in glioblastoma...
- Phase II evaluation of temozolomide and 13-cis-retinoic acid for the treatment of recurrent and progressive malignant glioma: a North American Brain Tumor Consortium studyKurt A Jaeckle
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2305-11. 2003..This phase II trial evaluated efficacy and toxicity of combination temozolomide and cRA treatment in recurrent MG...
- A novel case of a CAT to AAT transversion in codon 179 of the p53 gene in a supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumor harbored by a young girl. Case report and review of the literatureSergey Postovsky
Department of Pedicatric Hematology Onclology, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Oncology 65:46-51. 2003..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case of such a transversion at codon 179 in the p53 gene in SPNET...
- Radiotherapy in supratentorial gliomas. A study of 821 casesMart Heesters
Department of Radiotherapy, Groningen University Hospital, The Netherlands
Strahlenther Onkol 179:606-14. 2003..Analysis of the results of radiotherapy in a large group of cerebral gliomas with identification of prognostic factors and the outcome with respect to different decades of treatment...
- [Bilateral cerebellar hematoma after supratentorial glioma surgery]Ryszard Czepko
Klinika Neurochirurgii, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytet Jagiellonski, ul Botaniczna 3, 31 503 Krakow
Neurol Neurochir Pol 38:239-42. 2004....
- Improved delineation of brain tumors: an automated method for segmentation based on pathologic changes of 1H-MRSI metabolites in gliomasAndreas Stadlbauer
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurocenter, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Neuroimage 23:454-61. 2004..We conclude that high spatial resolution (1)H-MRSI (nominal voxel size = 0.45 cm(3)) in combination with our segmentation algorithm can improve delineation of tumor borders compared to routine MRI tumor diagnosis...
- Temozolomide for the treatment of recurrent supratentorial glioma: results of a compassionate use program in BelgiumEls Everaert
Medical Oncology, UZ Gasthuisberg KUL, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Neurooncol 70:37-48. 2004..This retrospective study indicates that the reported activity and toxicity profile of TMZ for the treatment of patients with recurrent glioma is reproducible outside the setting of a prospective clinical trial...
- Prospective trial of radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation with chemotherapy for high-grade gliomasKazuhiko Ogawa
Department of Radiology, University of the Ryukyus, School of Medicine, 207 Uehara, Nishihara cho, 903 0215, Okinawa, Japan
Radiother Oncol 67:63-7. 2003..The current study indicated that radiotherapy immediately after HBO with chemotherapy was feasible for high-grade gliomas...
- [Individualized treatment strategies in adults with supratentorial WHO grade II gliomas]F W Kreth
Neurochirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum Grosshadern, LMU Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 146:26-8. 2004
- [Supratentorial low grade glioma in adults: an experience with 23 surgical cases]Jose Carlos Lynch
Servico de Neurocirurgia, Hospital dos Servidores do Estado, Ministerio da Saude, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 62:507-12. 2004..Due to the deleterious effects of radiation therapy, we preferred to prescribe it only in cases of tumor recurrence...
- Local convection enhanced delivery of IL4-Pseudomonas exotoxin (NBI-3001) for treatment of patients with recurrent malignant gliomaF W Weber
Department of Neurological Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Acta Neurochir Suppl 88:93-103. 2003..This was an open-label, dose-escalation trial of intratumoral administration of IL-4 Pseudomonas Exotoxin (NBI-3001) in patients with recurrent malignant glioma...
- p53 protein alterations in adult astrocytic tumors and oligodendrogliomasAnupma Nayak
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Neurol India 52:228-32. 2004..p53 is a tumor suppressor gene implicated in the genesis of a variety of malignancies including brain tumors. Overexpression of the p53 protein is often used as a surrogate indicator of alterations in the p53 gene...
- Factors influencing seizures in adult patients with supratentorial astrocytic tumorsS L Hwang
Division of Neurosurgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Taiwan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146:589-94: discussion 594. 2004..Imaging examination of brain to exclude the possibilities of tumor recurrence or hemorrhage is warrantable in supratentorial astrocytoma patients with postoperative seizures...
- Low-grade glioma: supratentorial astrocytoma, oligodendroglioma, and oligoastrocytoma in adultsLynn S Ashby
Barrow Neurological Institute, 350 West Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 4:211-7. 2004..Attention is now directed to the importance of translational research to better define these neoplasms. In the future, it will be necessary to distinguish among low-grade gliomas and identify therapies that may differ between them...
- The conditional probabilities of survival in patients with anaplastic astrocytoma or glioblastoma multiformeC L Lin
Division of Neurosurgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Surg Neurol 60:402-6; discussion 406. 2003..By the use of conditional probabilities of survival, we studied the yearly survival rates for individual tumor survivors...
- Supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumors of infancy: clinical and radiologic findingsAlper I Dai
West Virginia University Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Pediatr Neurol 29:430-4. 2003....
- Postoperative communicating hydrocephalus in patients with supratentorial malignant gliomaJoji Inamasu
Department of Neurosurgery, National Tokyo Medical Center, Higashigaoka 2 5 1, Meguro ku, Tokyo 152 8902, Japan
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 106:9-15. 2003..None of the five patients experienced shunt malfunction or abdominal symptoms attributable to metastasis to the peritoneal cavity, and all five patients died of regrowth of the intracranial tumor or of pneumonia...
- Impact of neuronavigation and image-guided extensive resection for adult patients with supratentorial malignant astrocytomas: a single-institution retrospective studyM Kurimoto
Department of Neurosurgery, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:278-83. 2004..Our results showed that neuronavigation increases the radicality in the resection of malignant astrocytomas and is objectively useful for improving survival time...
- Expression of cathepsin B and microvascular density increases with higher grade of astrocytomasMaode Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Hospital, Xi an Jiaotong University, 710061, No 1 Jiankang Road, Xi an, China
J Neurooncol 71:3-7. 2005..Therefore, it showed MVD value was positive correlated with expression of CB. It highly suggested that CB and angiogenesis plays an important role in glioma progression...
- Intraoperative visualization of the pyramidal tract by diffusion-tensor-imaging-based fiber trackingChristopher Nimsky
Department of Neurosurgery, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Neuroimage 30:1219-29. 2006..Intraoperative visualization of major white matter tracts allows save resection of gliomas near eloquent brain areas. A possible shifting of the pyramidal tract has to be taken into account after major tumor parts are resected...
- [Management of malignant gliomas diagnosed during pregnancy]F Ducray
Service de Neurologie B, Hopital Neurologique Pierre Wertheimer, Lyon
Rev Neurol (Paris) 162:322-9. 2006..Glioma is seldom diagnosed during pregnancy. In this situation management presents difficult problems for both neuro-oncologists and obstetricians. We report four cases and discuss the management of this unusual situation...
- Supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumor (sPNET)Peter C Burger
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Brain Pathol 16:86. 2006
- Comparison of the time to extubation after use of remifentanil or sufentanil in combination with propofol as anesthesia in adults undergoing nonemergency intracranial surgery: a prospective, randomized, double-blind trialMarie Christine Djian
Department of Neuro Anaesthesia and Neuro Intensive Care, Sainte Anne Hospital, Paris, France
Clin Ther 28:560-8. 2006....
- Hyperfractionated radiotherapy and multi-agent chemotherapy (procarbazine, ACNU and vincristine) for high-grade gliomas: a prospective studyKazuhiko Ogawa
Department of Radiology, University of the Ryukyus, School of Medicine, 207 Uehara, Nishihara cho, Okinawa, 903 0215, Japan
Anticancer Res 26:2457-62. 2006..To evaluate the feasibility, efficacy and toxicity of hyperfractionated radiotherapy and multi-agent chemotherapy, including procarbazine, nimustine (ACNU) and vincristine, in adults with high-grade gliomas...
- A paediatric supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumour associated with malignant astrocytic transformation and a clonal origin of both componentsSusanne A Kuhn
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Centre, Friedrich Schiller University, Erlanger Allee 101, 07747 Jena, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 30:143-9; discussion 149. 2007..We discuss this very rare case and the first description of the clonal origin of distinct and distinguishable tumour components taking into consideration published literature...
- Extracranial metastases of a supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumourSeong Rok Han
Department of Neurosurgery, Ilsan Paik Hospital, Inje University, 2240 Daehwa dong, Ilsan Seo gu, Goyang 411 410, Korea
J Clin Neurosci 14:55-8. 2007..We report a 29-year-old man with a supratentorial PNET, which metastasized to his vertebral bodies and lung...
- Paediatric PNET: pre-surgical MRI featuresA Chawla
Department of Neuroradiology, National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore
Clin Radiol 62:43-52. 2007....
- [Perfusion-diffusion 1H spectroscopy: role in the diagnosis and follow-up of supratentorial brain tumours in adults]S Grand
Unité IRM, CHU, Grenoble
Rev Neurol (Paris) 162:1204-20. 2006..In a few years, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has evolved from a morphology-based examination to one that encompasses metabolism and function...
- Genetic heterogeneity in supratentorial and infratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumours of the central nervous systemM M Inda
Laboratoire de Génomique Cellulaire des Cancers, UMR1599, CNRS, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Histopathology 47:631-7. 2005..We investigated the differences in genetic abnormalities between sPNET and MB...
- Intraoperative cortical mapping has low sensitivity for the detection of motor function in proximity to a tumor in the primary motor areaN Shinoura
Department of Neurosurgery, Komagome Metropolitan Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83:135-41. 2005..Therefore, this technique may not be sufficient to prevent compromise of motor areas during tumor resection...
- Pediatric supratentorial high-grade gliomasMandeep S Tamber
Division of Neurosurgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neurosurg Focus 14:e1. 2003....
- Robotic long-distance telementoring in neurosurgeryIvar Mendez
Division of Neurosurgery, Dalhousie University and Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Neurosurgery 56:434-40; discussion 434-40. 2005..To test the feasibility of long-distance telementoring in neurosurgery by providing subspecialized expertise in real time to another neurosurgeon performing a surgical procedure in a remote location...
- Cytodiagnosis of supratentorial hemangioblastomaJulia Keith
Acta Cytol 52:260-3. 2008
- Detection of JC virus DNA sequences in brain tumors in pediatric patientsHiroaki Okamoto
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, Saga, Japan
J Neurosurg 102:294-8. 2005....
- Impact of intraoperative MRI on the surgical results for high-grade gliomasH Hirschberg
Department of Neurosurgery, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:77-84. 2005..Their outcome has been compared to a matched cohort of patients operated in a conventional manner to determine if the use of intraoperative MRI can be shown to improve the results of surgery and prognosis for this type of patient...
- Is it appropriate to redefine the indication for stereotactic brain biopsy in the MRI Era? Correlation with final histological diagnosis in supratentorial gliomasG M Callovini
Santo Spirito Hospital, Rome, Italy
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:109-13. 2008....
- Undifferentiated sarcoma arising in the brain, 23 years after curative treatment of an ependymomaSilvia Hofer
Department of Oncology, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, Zurich, 8091, Switzerland
J Neurooncol 72:239. 2005
- Patterns of treatment failure in infants with primitive neuroectodermal tumors who were treated on CCG-921: a phase III combined modality studyTheodore S Hong
Department of Human Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 45:676-82. 2005..To analyze patterns of treatment failure in infants with primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNETs) who were treated primarily with chemotherapy in a large multi-institutional study...
- Glioblastoma multiforme in the elderly: a therapeutic challengeA Mangiola
Institute of Neurosurgery, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 76:159-63. 2006..The average survival in elderly patients is 4-8 months. The goal of the present study was to evaluate the efficacy of different treatment options in terms of survival in an elderly population affected with GBM...
- Meningiomas after radiation-therapy for benign astrocytomasJ Martinez-Lage
Servicio Regional de Neurocirugía, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Murcia
Neurocirugia (Astur) 16:266-70; discussion 270. 2005..The authors report this case to illustrate the possibility of the appearance of radiation-induced meningiomas after an interval of 22 years and briefly discuss 16 previous reports on this occurrence in benign astrocytomas...
- High-dose BCNU followed by autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in supratentorial high-grade malignant gliomas: a retrospective analysis of 114 patientsX Durando
Department d oncologie médicale, Centre Jean Perrin, Clermont Ferrand cedex 01, France
Bone Marrow Transplant 31:559-64. 2003..Additional pilot studies are unlikely to reveal more than a modest benefit from this procedure and therefore a randomized study should be performed...
- Treatment of recurrent malignant supratentorial astrocytomas with carboplatin and etoposide combined with recombinant mutant human tumor necrosis factor-alphaMasaaki Yamamoto
Department of Neurosurgery, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan
Anticancer Res 22:2447-53. 2002....
- Clinical and survival covariates of eight classes of childhood supratentorial neuroglial tumorsFloyd H Gilles
Division of Neuropathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles and University of Southern California School of Medicine, 90027, USA
Cancer 95:1302-10. 2002..The classes resulted from 5 factor score profiles on 703 supratentorial neuroglial tumors in the Childhood Brain Tumor Consortium database...
- Phase I study of Gliadel wafers plus temozolomide in adults with recurrent supratentorial high-grade gliomasS Gururangan
Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuro Oncol 3:246-50. 2001..Our study demonstrates that TEMO can be given safely after placement of Gliadel (3.85%) wafers. The recommended dosage for TEMO for a phase II study of this combination is 200 mg/m2 per day for 5 days...
- Delayed hydrocephalus after resection of supratentorial malignant gliomasG Marquardt
Neurosurgical Clinic, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:227-31; discussion 231. 2002..To report our experience with 12 patients who developed delayed hydrocephalus after resection of supratentorial malignant gliomas...
- Neurological evaluation of children and adolescents with brain tumor, based on ambulatory-oriented follow-upA Serafim
Escola Paulista de Medicina, , , SP, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 59:849-53. 2001..It should be pointed out that during the ambulatory follow-up 75,5% of patients developed neurological sequels. A tumor recurrence was noticed in 34,3% of them, while 21,4% eventually died...
- Rhabdoid glioblastomaJ Wyatt-Ashmead
Department of Pathology, The Children's Hospital, Denver, CO, USA
Clin Neuropathol 20:248-55. 2001..This case documents progressive rhabdoid transformation of a glioma, expands the spectrum of CNS tumor types that can display a rhabdoid phenotype and highlights the diagnostic and therapeutic challenges with this type of tumor...
- Cerebellar hemorrhage after supratentorial craniotomyGerhard Marquardt
Neurosurgical Clinic, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Surg Neurol 57:241-51; discussion 251-2. 2002..The present study evaluates the significance of presurgical and surgical factors that may predispose patients to these bleeding episodes...
- [Chemotherapy of recurrent supratentorial malignant gliomas (phase II study)]Denes Afra
Országos Idegsebészeti Tudományos Intézet, Budapest
Ideggyogy Sz 55:38-44. 2002..Chemotherapy of supratentorial malignant glioma recurrences with nitroso-ureas and their combination proved to be efficacious. It also seems, that in recurrent cases lower grade gliomas show better response rate than glioblastomas...
- Diffusion-weighted imaging and fluid attenuated inversion recovery imaging in the evaluation of primitive neuroectodermal tumorsE Erdem
Department of Radiology, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neuroradiology 43:927-33. 2001..The differences in the histologic architecture between PNET and non-PNET are reflected in both FLAIR imaging and in DWI...
- Brachytherapy of glioblastoma recurring in previously irradiated territory: predictive value of tumor volumeJean Marc Simon
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 53:67-74. 2002..To evaluate the impact of tumor volume on survival of patients reirradiated with (192)Ir for recurrent glioblastoma...
- Dose-escalation with proton/photon irradiation for Daumas-Duport lower-grade glioma: results of an institutional phase I/II trialM M Fitzek
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51:131-7. 2001..Dose escalation using this fractionation scheme and total dose delivered failed to improve outcome for patients with Grade 2 and 3 gliomas...
- Distinguishing of primary cerebral lymphoma from high-grade glioma with perfusion-weighted magnetic resonance imagingMarius Hartmann
Division of Neuroradiology, Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg Medical Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 338:119-22. 2003..PCNSL tend to have low maximum CBV ratios and typical intensity-time curves. These two parameters may be useful in distinguishing PCNSL from GBM...
- [Significance of stereotactic biopsy for the management of WHO grade II supratentorial glioma]A Muacevic
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich
Nervenarzt 74:350-4. 2003..The aim of this prospective study was to compare the diagnostic value of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and stereotactic biopsy in patients harboring WHO grade II gliomas...
- [Radiotherapy in supratentorial low grade gliomas]Francisco Mascarenhas
Servico de Radioterapia, Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisboa
Acta Med Port 15:451-9. 2002....
- Central nervous system neoplasms: indications for electron microscopyL A Langford
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 20:35-46. 1996....
- Pediatric brain tumours at a tertiary care hospital in KarachiNaseem Ahmed
Department of Pathology, Basic Medical Sciences Institute, Karachi
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 8:399-404. 2007..Population-based studies are required to determine the cancer burden due to pediatric malignancies of the brain in this population and for the morphological categorization of brain tumors in Karachi...
- Emergence times are similar with sevoflurane and total intravenous anesthesia: results of a multicenter RCT of patients scheduled for elective supratentorial craniotomyEnrico Lauta
Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit I, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Consorziale Policlinico, Bari, Italy
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 22:110-8. 2010..that inhalation anesthesia (sevoflurane/remifentanil--group S) reduces emergence time by 5 minutes compared with intravenous anesthesia (propofol/remifentanil--group P) in patients undergoing neurosurgery for supratentorial neoplasms.
- Incidence and trends in pediatric malignancies medulloblastoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor: a SEER update. Surveillance Epidemiology and End ResultsDawn Elizabeth McNeil
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, NCI NIH EPS, Rockville, Maryland 20892 7236, USA
Med Pediatr Oncol 39:190-4. 2002..Cancer registries permit population-based description of cases reported as medulloblastoma, those reported as PNET and description of the aggregate, M/PNET...
- [Evaluation of the results of surgery of intracranial supratentorial tumors in 363 children over the past 50 years (1948-1997)]J Parizek
Neurochirurgická klinika, Fakultni Nemocnice v Hradci Králové
Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) Suppl 43:13-27. 2000..The chronological development of diagnostic and operative processes of supratentorial tumours in children's care is discussed. The prognostic elements of present histobiological classification of tumours are positively evaluated...
- Incidence patterns for ependymoma: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results studyCourtney S McGuire
Department of Neurology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Neurosurg 110:725-9. 2009..The authors analyzed a large, population-based cancer registry to examine the relationship of incidence to patient age, sex, race, and tumor location, and to determine incidence trends over the past 3 decades...
- Radiation dosimetry predicts IQ after conformal radiation therapy in pediatric patients with localized ependymomaThomas E Merchant
Division of Radiation Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:1546-54. 2005..To assess the effects of radiation dose-volume distribution on the trajectory of IQ development after conformal radiation therapy (CRT) in pediatric patients with ependymoma...
- Functional outcome after low-grade astrocytoma treatment in childhoodFemke K Aarsen
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Erasmus Medical Center Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer 106:396-402. 2006..The objective of the current study was to investigate functional outcomes among children who were treated for low-grade or pilocytic astrocytoma in different areas of the brain...
- Early neuro-otologic effects of three-dimensional irradiation in children with primary brain tumorsThomas E Merchant
Department ofRadiation Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1194-207. 2004..We modeled hearing threshold levels (HTL) after CRT in children with localized primary brain tumors (ependymoma, low- or high-grade astrocytoma, craniopharyngioma, or CNS germinoma) by using cochlear dose and clinical variables...
- A review of the cytogenetics of 58 pediatric brain tumorsP Roberts
Regional Cytogenetics Unit, St James s, Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, UK
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 131:1-12. 2001..We advocate further studies of CNS tumors, in particular, to evaluate the importance of 2p changes and to compare cytogenetic results for supratentorial tumors and their infratentorial counterparts...
- [Allelic loss at 1p/19q analysis in brain tumors of glial lineage]J L Gil-Salú
Servicios de Neurocirugía, Hospital Universitario Puerta del Mar, Cadiz, Espana
Neurocirugia (Astur) 18:285-93; discussion 293. 2007..To analyze in cerebral tumors of neuroepithelial tissue 1p/19q codeletions by study of loss of heterozygosity (LOH). A first implied objective was to get ready this molecular thecnique...
- Primary cerebral neuroblastoma: a case report and reviewVolkan Etus
Kocaeli University Medical School, Department of Neurosurgery, Derince, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 197:55-65. 2002..A 9-year-old girl with primary cerebral neuroblastoma who was initially misdiagnosed is reported. The other cases from the literature are reviewed and the nature of this rare tumor and its differential diagnosis is discussed...
- Management of anesthesia in awake craniotomyF Piccioni
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, IRCCS Foundation, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 74:393-408. 2008..Personal experience, careful planning, and attention to detail are the basis for obtaining good awake craniotomy..
- Patients' perceptions of awake and outpatient craniotomy for brain tumor: a qualitative studyKathleen Joy Khu
Division of Neurosurgery, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurosurg 112:1056-60. 2010..In this study the authors aim was to explore patients' perceptions about awake and outpatient craniotomy...
- Diffusion tensor imaging of brainstem tumors: axonal degeneration of motor and sensory tractsKathleen J Helton
Department of Radiological Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 1:270-6. 2008..The authors sought to determine whether DT imaging and white matter tractography could detect axonal degeneration in patients with brainstem tumors...
- Epithelioid versus rhabdoid glioblastomas are distinguished by monosomy 22 and immunohistochemical expression of INI-1 but not claudin 6Bette Kay Kleinschmidt-DeMasters
Department of Pathology, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:341-54. 2010..Thus, in the CNS, claudin-6 expression may be a good discriminator of atypical teratoid or rhabdoid tumors from other CNS rhabdoid or epithelioid neoplasms...
- Cerebral autoregulation and CO2 reactivity before and after elective supratentorial tumor resectionDeepak Sharma
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 22:132-7. 2010..The effect of surgical decompression of tumor on autoregulation and CO2 reactivity is not known. We examined the effect of elective tumor resection on cerebral autoregulation and CO2 reactivity...
- MR spectroscopic evaluation of brain tissue damage after treatment for pediatric brain tumorsSławomir Blamek
Department of Radiotherapy, Maria Skłodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Gliwice Branchul, Gliwice, Poland
Acta Neurochir Suppl 106:183-6. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the metabolic profile of uninvolved brain tissue after treatment for pediatric brain tumors...
- Postoperative radiotherapy for intracranial ependymoma: analysis of prognostic factors and patterns of failureNatsuo Oya
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
J Neurooncol 56:87-94. 2002....
- The results of radiotherapy for ependymomas: the Mayo Clinic experienceS E Schild
Mayo Clinic Arizona, Department of Radiation Oncology, Scottsdale 85259, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 42:953-8. 1998..This analysis was performed to examine the outcome of patients with histologically confirmed ependymomas of the brain or spinal cord who received postoperative radiotherapy...
- Clinicohistological study of oligodendroglioma and oligoastrocytomaM Tamura
Department of Neurosurgery, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Brain Tumor Pathol 14:35-9. 1997..Minigemistocytes were sometimes recognized in recurrent tumors and had a sinister prognosis. Oligodendroglioma and oligoastrocytoma may transform into each other at recurrence...
- Brain tumors in children under 3 years of age. Recent experience (1987-1997) in 39 patientsF Sala
Department of Neurological Sciences, Section of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Verona, Italy
Pediatr Neurosurg 31:16-26. 1999..047). Total tumor removal was associated with a longer survival, although not significantly (p = 0. 077). Finally, we found no exceptions to Collins' law...
- Pediatric brain tumors: statistics of SNUH, Korea (1959-2000)Keun Tae Cho
Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery and Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Children s Hospital, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Childs Nerv Syst 18:30-7. 2002....
- Neurosurgical management of intracranial epidermoid tumors in children. Clinical articleIbrahim Ahmed
Division of Neurosurgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, The University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurosurg Pediatr 4:91-6. 2009..There have been few pediatric series of intracranial epidermoid tumors reported previously. The authors present their experience in the management of these lesions...
- Development of a pilocytic astrocytoma in a dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor. Case reportVivek Josan
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurosurg 106:509-12. 2007..This paper adds to the growing body of literature about the biological behavior of these lesions...
- Three-dimensional intraoperative ultrasound of vascular malformations and supratentorial tumorsMichael Woydt
Neurosurgical Department, University of Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Str 11, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
J Neuroimaging 12:28-34. 2002..Thereby, it may improve safety of surgery and understanding of 2D ultrasound images...
- Chiari I malformation after cranial radiation therapy in childhood: a dynamic process associated with changes in clival growthKristian Aquilina
Department of Neurosurgery, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, England
Childs Nerv Syst 25:1429-36. 2009..In this study, we evaluated children with supratentorial tumors developing CMI after radiation therapy (RT) that involved the skull base. Changes in clivus and supraocciput growth rate were correlated with tonsillar herniation...
- [Surgery of intracranial epidermoid cysts. Report of 44 patients and review of the literature]M Lopes
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hospital de la Salpetriere, 75651 Paris Cedex, France
Neurochirurgie 48:5-13. 2002..Prolonged cerebral retraction could be one of the responsible factors. One of the technical proposals could be to perform a transparenchymal approach in selected patients...
- Bioluminescence monitoring of intracranial glioblastoma xenograft: response to primary and salvage temozolomide therapyEduard B Dinca
Neuroscience Graduate Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Neurosurg 107:610-6. 2007..In the current study we have applied BLI to the analysis of clinically relevant issues involving use of the DNA methylating agent temozolomide (TMZ) in a mouse model...
- CT and MR imaging in atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors of the central nervous systemMonika Warmuth-Metz
Reference Centre for Neuroradiology of the German Society for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology GPOH, Department of Neuroradiology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Neuroradiology 50:447-52. 2008..Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors (ATRT) are rare aggressive neoplasms of the CNS affecting predominantly very young children...
- Surgical treatment of temporal tumors associated with epilepsy in childrenA Iannelli
Institute of Neurosurgery, Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Neurosurg 32:248-54. 2000....
- [Intracranial tumors in pediatric patients]W Reith
Klinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Neuroradiologie, Radiologische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar
Radiologe 47:501-12. 2007..After the tenth year, infra- and supratentorial tumors occur with equal frequency...
- Quantification of dispersion of Gd-DTPA from the initial area of enhancement into the peritumoral zone of edema in brain tumorsIgor N Pronin
Department of Neuroradiology, Burdenko Institute of Neurosurgery, Moscow, Russia
J Neurooncol 94:399-408. 2009..The dispersion of Gd-DTPA over time into the zone of peritumoral edema is a potential source of error in clinical settings when there is a delay between Gd-DTPA injection and scanning...
- Functional MRI-guided surgery of intracranial tumorsM Schulder
Section of Neurosurgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 68:98-105. 1997....
- Brain tumors in children under 1 year of age: emphasis on the relationship of prognostic factorsRoberto Rivera-Luna
Department of Oncology, Instituto Nacional de Pediatria, Insurgentes Sur 3700 C, 04530, Mexico City, Mexico
Childs Nerv Syst 19:311-4. 2003..Primary brain tumors in infants under 12 months of age have a different prognosis from older children...
- RADIOTHERAPY EFFECTS ON BRAIN FUNCTIONING IN ADULTSCAROL ARMSTRONG; Fiscal Year: 2001..They will gather pilot data on the sensitivity of MTI to radiation effects in 37 cases during the early and late delayed periods. Standard brain regions, tumor sites and specific regions will be examined. ..
- CHILDRENS NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTERRoger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Pirfenidone in Children with PNs in NF1Roger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Abstract Not Provided ..
- TOPOTECAN BY INTRACEREBRAL CLYSIS FOR BRAIN TUMORSJeffrey Bruce; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Electrocorticographic Study of Categorical Phoneme Perception in the Human TemporEdward Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NABTC - M.D. Anderson Clinical CenterMark Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2008..The NABTC continues with the long-term goal of developing more effective treatments for patients with primary brain tumors, particularly malignant gliomas, combining longevity with the quality of survival. ..
- Improved Targeting in Minimally Invasive Image-Guided Radio Frequency AblationNeculai Archip; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Myc Signaling in MedulloblastomasCharles Eberhart; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, in Specific Aim 4 we propose developing a novel medulloblastoma transgenic model by overexpressing c-Myc in the cerebellum of transgenic mice. ..
- Lapatinib in childhood CNS malignanciesMaryam Fouladi; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will be used in the rational design of future phase I combination or frontline studies to improve the outcome in children with these poor prognosis tumors. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Metabolism and Excitability in Rodent HippocampusAnne Williamson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF SUBCORTICAL WHITE MATTER NEURONSAnne Williamson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Given the possible involvement of these cells in a variety of neurological disorders, it is critical to characterize these cells completely. ..
- CHRONOBIOLOGY OF PARTIAL EPILEPSYMark Quigg; Fiscal Year: 2002..In summary, these studies will provide insight into the chronoblological factors that facilitate partial seizure expression and may provide new perspectives into treatments for poorly controlled partial epilepsy. ..
- NABTT-Consortium Therapeutic Studies of CNS MalignanciesStuart Grossman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..