Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign tumor, made up of an overgrowth of BLOOD VESSELS. It is extremely common, occurring mostly in infancy and childhood. It can occur anywhere in the body but is most frequently noticed in the SKIN and SUBCUTANEOUS TISSUE. About 75% are present at birth, and about 60% occur in the head and neck area. (from Stedman, 25th ed; DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, p1355)
Publications269 found, 100 shown here
- Propranolol treatment for hemangioma of infancy: risks and recommendationsLeslie P Lawley
Department of Dermatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 26:610-4. 2009b>Hemangioma of infancy is a condition that may be associated with significant morbidity...
- Multipotential stem cells recapitulate human infantile hemangioma in immunodeficient miceZia A Khan
Vascular Biology Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2592-9. 2008Infantile hemangioma is a benign endothelial tumor composed of disorganized blood vessels. It exhibits a unique life cycle of rapid postnatal growth followed by slow regression to a fibrofatty residuum...
- Corticosteroid suppression of VEGF-A in infantile hemangioma-derived stem cellsShoshana Greenberger
Vascular Biology Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1005-13. 2010Corticosteroids are commonly used to treat infantile hemangioma, but the mechanism of action of this therapy is unknown...
- Hypoglycemia in children taking propranolol for the treatment of infantile hemangiomaKristen E Holland
Department of Dermatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Arch Dermatol 146:775-8. 2010..Since then, the use of propranolol for IHs has exploded because it is viewed as a safer alternative to traditional therapy...
- Propranolol in the therapeutic strategy of infantile laryngotracheal hemangioma: A preliminary retrospective study of French experienceNicolas Leboulanger
Hopital Armand Trousseau, 75012 Paris, France
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:1254-7. 2010Preliminary assessment of the efficacy of propranolol on subglottic hemangioma in children on a nation-wide scale.
- Pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma with lymph node metastases: report of 4 casesAya Miyagawa-Hayashino
Department of Pathology, Tenri Hospital, Nara, Japan
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:321-5. 2003CONTEXT: Sclerosing hemangioma is an unusual pulmonary tumor. Previously, 4 patients with pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma and lymph node metastases have been described in the literature...
- Hemangiomas of infancyAnna L Bruckner
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:477-93; quiz 494-6. 2003....
- Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1 and other markers in sclerosing hemangioma of the lungP B Illei
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:1335-9. 2001CONTEXT: Sclerosing hemangioma of the lung is well characterized histologically, but the line of differentiation expressed by the tumor cells has been unclear...
- Hemangioma of the external auditory canalCharles J Limb
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287-0910, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:74-5. 2002
- Hemangioma of the salivary gland: a study of ten cases of a rarely biopsied/excised lesionEsther L B Childers
Departments of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306-6000, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 6:339-44. 2002b>Hemangioma is a common soft tissue tumor that frequently occurs in the oral and maxillofacial region including salivary glands, but is rarely biopsied and is therefore often unfamiliar to the surgical pathologist...
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound of histologically proven liver hemangiomasChristoph F Dietrich
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Caritas Hospital Bad Mergentheim, Bad Mergentheim, Germany
Hepatology 45:1139-45. 2007..methods (ultrasound/computed tomography/magnetic resonance imaging), ultrasound-guided liver biopsy revealed hemangioma. In all patients a hepatic neoplasm had been suspected because of underlying malignant disease (n=41), liver ..
- Histopathologic and immunophenotypic profile of subglottic hemangioma: multicenter studyArunkumar N Badi
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, 9000 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1187-91. 2009Subglottic hemangioma (SGH) is a rare tumor of childhood often associated with airway compromise...
- Sclerosing hemangioma with lymph node metastasisKyung Hee Kim
Department of Pathology, Eulji University Hospital, 24 14 Mok Dong, Jung Gu, Daejeon 301 808, Korea
Yonsei Med J 44:150-4. 2003Sclerosing hemangioma (SH) of the lung is an uncommon type of tumor, which is composed of polygonal and cuboidal cells. This disease is generally regarded as benign but extremely rare cases with lymph node metastasis have been reported...
- Endothelial progenitor cells in infantile hemangiomaYing Yu
Program in Vacular Biology, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 103:1373-5. 2004Infantile hemangioma is an endothelial tumor that grows rapidly after birth but slowly regresses during early childhood...
- Suppressed NFAT-dependent VEGFR1 expression and constitutive VEGFR2 signaling in infantile hemangiomaMasatoshi Jinnin
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Med 14:1236-46. 2008..We show that expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 (VEGFR1) in hemangioma endothelial cells (hemECs) and hemangioma tissue is markedly reduced compared to controls...
- Tumors associated with avian leukosis virus subgroup J in layer hens during 2007 to 2009 in ChinaZiqiang Cheng
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shandong Agricultural University, Tai an, PR China
J Vet Med Sci 72:1027-33. 2010..The most prevalent tumor type was hemangioma (50%) in commercial layer flocks; the second most prevalent neoplasm type was myelocytoma (38...
- Down-regulation of mir-424 contributes to the abnormal angiogenesis via MEK1 and cyclin E1 in senile hemangioma: its implications to therapyTaiji Nakashima
Department of Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e14334. 2010Senile hemangioma, so-called cherry angioma, is known as the most common vascular anomalies specifically seen in the aged skin. The pathogenesis of its abnormal angiogenesis is still unclear.
- Management of hepatic hemangiomas: a 14-year experiencePaulo Herman
Liver Surgery Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Gastrointest Surg 9:853-9. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common primary tumor of the liver and its diagnosis has become increasingly prevalent. Most of these lesions are asymptomatic and are managed conservatively...
- Hemoperitoneum from a spontaneous rupture of a giant hemangioma of the liver: report of a caseNicola Corigliano
Department of Surgery Pietro Valdoni, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Surg Today 33:459-63. 2003b>Hemangioma is the most common benign tumor of the liver and it is often asymptomatic. Spontaneous or traumatic rupture, intratumoral bleeding, consumption coagulopathy, and rapid growth are mandatory surgical indications...
- Giant liver hemangioma: therapy by enucleation or liver resectionErhan Hamaloglu
Department of General Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Basinevleri, Yankilar Sok, Ankara, Turkey
World J Surg 29:890-3. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common primary tumor of the liver. The widespread use of ultrasonography (USG) and computed tomography (CT) has made the diagnosis more common...
- Endothelial progenitor cells from infantile hemangioma and umbilical cord blood display unique cellular responses to endostatinZia A Khan
Vascular Biology Research Program and Department of Surgery, Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 108:915-21. 2006..Our hypothesis is that hemangioma-derived EPCs (HemEPCs) differentiate into the mature ECs that comprise the major compartment of the tumor...
- Hepatic hemangioma: atypical appearances on CT, MR imaging, and sonographyHyun-Jung Jang
Radiation Medicine Branch, Research Institute, National Cancer Center, 809 Madu 1-dong, Ilsan-gu, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do, 411-764, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:135-41. 2003
- Indications and long-term outcome of treatment for benign hepatic tumors: a critical appraisalT Terkivatan
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Surg 136:1033-8. 2001..The natural history and clinical behavior of benign hepatic tumors during long-term follow-up may not justify primary surgical treatment...
- Vasculogenesis in infantile hemangiomaElisa Boscolo
Vascular Biology Program, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Angiogenesis 12:197-207. 2009Infantile hemangioma is a vascular tumor that occurs in 5-10% of infants of European descent. A defining feature of infantile hemangioma is the dramatic growth and development into a disorganized mass of blood vessels...
- Intramuscular hemangioma of the lower lipYong Seok Nam
Department of Plastic Surgery and Center for Advanced Medical Education by BK21 Project, Inha University College of Medicine, Sinheung Dong, Jung Gu, Incheon, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 18:958-9. 2007We report a case of intramuscular hemangioma in the lower orbicularis oris muscle. A 5-year-old boy presented a fairly firm mass in the lower lip. The mass was noticed a few weeks after birth and had been progressing slowly for years...
- Characterization of benign hepatic tumors arising in fatty liver with SonoVue and pulse inversion UST V Bartolotta
Department of Radiology, University of Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, Palermo 90127, Italy
Abdom Imaging 32:84-91. 2007..We describe the spectrum of contrast-enhancement patterns of benign hepatic tumors arising in fatty liver on contrast-enhanced ultrasound (US)...
- Comparative diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosis of hepatic hemangiomasKristina Zviniene
Department of Radiology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 46:329-35. 2010..To compare the value of intravenous contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (US), intravenous contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the diagnosis of hepatic hemangiomas...
- Infantile hemangioma: challenges, new insights, and therapeutic promiseEileen Boye
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Craniofac Surg 20:678-84. 2009..In the last several years, much has been learned about molecular features of hemangioma and hemangioma-derived endothelial cells cultured in vitro, but the specific etiology remains unclear...
- Signaling mechanisms in infantile hemangiomaEileen Boye
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 16:202-8. 2009Infantile hemangioma is a common vascular tumor with a unique lifecycle: rapid growth in infancy, followed by a period of involution, leading to complete regression...
- Infantile hemangioma is originated from placental trophoblast, fact or fiction?Zhi Yong Sun
Department of Plastic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, China
Med Hypotheses 71:444-8. 2008..current therapeutic modalities is ideal to date, partly because the origin of the pathogenic ECs in infantile hemangioma is unknown...
- Littoral cell angioma (LCA) associated with liver cirrhosisHi-Gu Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Inha University Hospital, Inha University, 7-206, 3-Ga, Shinheung-dong, Jung-gu, Incheon 400-103, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:184-8. 2005..There has been no previous report of a LCA combined with liver cirrhosis. Herein, the first case of a LCA in Korea, diagnosed and treated by a splenectomy, is reported...
- Evaluation and management of infantile hemangioma: an overviewAnand Pandey
Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Ostomy Wound Manage 54:16-8, 20, 22-6, 28-9. 2008..a literature search of pertinent articles published between 1985 and 2006 in PubMed was conducted using the term hemangioma with the words types, pathophysiology, treatment, and complications...
- Sclerotherapy of hemangioma with late involutionKazuya Matsumoto
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Dermatol Surg 29:668-71; discussion 671. 2003..METHODS: Hemangioma showing late involution was treated by local injection of monoethanolamine oleate solution...
- Synovial hemangioma in the knee of a 10-month-old boyOscar Ares-Rodriguez
Hospital Vall d Hebron, Passeig Vall d Hebron 115 125, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:583-4. 2008Synovial hemangioma is a benign vascular tumor. While mainly affecting the knee, it can also appear in other joints or tissues. The condition is very rare in children...
- Differentiation of small hepatic hemangioma from small hepatocellular carcinoma: recently introduced spectral CT methodPeijie Lv
Department of Radiology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, No 197 Ruijin Er Rd, Shanghai, China 200025
Radiology 259:720-9. 2011..usefulness of computed tomographic (CT) spectral imaging parameters in differentiating small (≤3 cm) hepatic hemangioma (HH) from small hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), with or without cirrhosis, during the late arterial phase (AP) ..
- Sequence analysis for the complete proviral genome of subgroup J Avian Leukosis virus associated with hemangioma: a special 11 bp deletion was observed in U3 region of 3'UTRMin Shi
College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an, Sichuan 625014, China
Virol J 8:158. 2011..Myelocytomatosis was the most common neoplasma observed in infected flocks; however, few cases of hemangioma caused by ALV-J were reported in recent year.
- Palladium 103 (103Pd) plaque radiation therapy for circumscribed choroidal hemangioma with retinal detachmentAlexander Aizman
Department of Ophthalmology, New York Eye Cancer Center, nd New York University School of Medicine, New York 10021, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:1652-6. 2004..To describe clinical experience with palladium 103 ((103)Pd) ophthalmic plaque radiotherapy for choroidal hemangioma. METHODS: One course of (103)Pd ophthalmic plaque radiotherapy was used in each of 5 patients with circumscribed ..
- Characterization of focal liver lesions: comparison of pulse-inversion harmonic contrast-enhanced sonography with contrast-enhanced CTRui Li
Department of Ultrasound, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
J Clin Ultrasound 35:109-17. 2007..To compare the efficacy of contrast-enhanced pulse-inversion harmonic sonography for the characterization of focal liver lesions with that of contrast-enhanced helical CT...
- Current theories on the pathogenesis of infantile hemangiomaKristine Lo
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 24:172-7. 2009..While no current hypothesis explains all the characteristics of infantile hemangiomas, continued research targeting pathophysiology will ultimately lead to new treatment options...
- Treatment of hemangiomas of infancyVictoria R Barrio
Department of Dermatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Dermatol Ther 18:151-9. 2005..This review highlights the treatments currently in use and the factors that direct treatment...
- Intraosseous hemangioma of the rib mimicking an aggressive chest wall tumorKhimseng Tew
Department of Radiology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia, Australia
Diagn Interv Radiol 17:118-21. 2011..A case of a rib hemangioma is presented in which the pre-resection diagnosis was an aggressive chest wall tumor...
- Synovial hemangioma of the ankleS Oumakhir
Department of Dermatology, Military Hospital of Instruction Mohammed V, Hay Riad, Rabat, Morocco
Foot (Edinb) 20:42-3. 2010Synovial hemangioma is a rare benign vascular tumor that arises from any synovium-lined surface. The most typical form is the intra articular type in which the tumor forms a mass lined by synovial membrane...
- [Littoral cell angioma of the spleen. Association with colon and hepatocellular carcinoma]T Hansen
Institut fur Pathologie, Universitätsmedizin Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101, Mainz, Deutschland
Pathologe 31:290-2. 2010..In addition a hepatocellular carcinoma was found. Due to the relationship with malignant tumors littoral cell angioma should be considered in every case of a splenic tumoral space-occupying mass, particularly in carcinoma patients...
- Sclerosing hemangioma isolated to the mediastinumKazuhiro Sakamoto
Department of Respiratory Surgery, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1021-3. 2003Sclerosing hemangioma is an uncommon tumor of unknown histogenesis that generally develops in the lung. We report on a 48-year-old woman with a sclerosing hemangioma that was apparently isolated to the mediastinum...
- Myeloid cells in infantile hemangiomaMatthew R Ritter
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Pathol 168:621-8. 2006..We report the results of experiments using myeloid markers (CD83, CD32, CD14, CD15) that unexpectedly co-labeled hemangioma endothelial cells, providing new evidence that these cells are distinct from normal endothelium.
- Endothelial cells of intramuscular (infantile) hemangioma express glut1Ricardo Drut
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, Superiora Sor Maria Ludovica, La Plata, Argentina
Int J Surg Pathol 15:166-8. 2007Glut1 is a marker of infantile hemangioma, and its positivity has resulted in defining this tumor at several sites (eg, skin, breast, salivary glands, liver, and placenta)...
- Middle ear hemangioma: a case reportCigdem Tokyol
Department of Pathology, Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 24:405-7. 2003..A case of a right-sided middle ear hemangioma in a 51-year-old woman who suffered from pulsatile tinnitus is presented with a review of the relevant literature...
- Retroperitoneal venous hemangiomaTse-Kai Tseng
Department of Radiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 104:681-3. 2005Venous hemangioma is an extremely uncommon tumor. We report a 61-year-old woman with a surgically proven venous hemangioma in the retroperitoneum...
- Hemangioma with phleboliths in the sublingual gland: as a cause of submental opacityHakan Cankaya
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical Faculty, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 199:187-91. 2003..Changes in blood flow dynamic within hemangioma results in thrombus and phleboliths...
- Ossifying hemangioma of the internal auditory canalDerald E Brackmann
House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles, California, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:1239-40. 2005
- Differentiation between hepatic cyst and hemangioma: additive value of breath-hold, multisection fluid-attenuated inversion-recovery magnetic resonance imaging using half-Fourier acquisition single-shot turbo-spin-echo sequenceKatsumi Sasaki
Department of Radiology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:29-36. 2005..resonance imaging (MRI) using half-Fourier acquisition single-shot turbo-spin-echo (HASTE) sequence as supplements to moderately and heavily T2-weighted fast-spin-echo (FSE) sequences in differentiating hepatic cyst from hemangioma.
- Spindle cell hemangiomaBrigitte Coras
Department of Dermatology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Dermatol Surg 29:875-8. 2003BACKGROUND: Spindle cell hemangioma (SCH) is an uncommon benign vascular tumor. OBJECTIVE: To report and discuss a case of SCH in an 11-year-old boy. METHODS: A case report and discussion of the rare entity of SCH are given...
- Management of parotid hemangioma in 100 childrenArin K Greene
Division of Plastic Surgery and Vascular Anomalies Center, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass. 02115, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:53-60. 2004..However, there are reports that hemangioma of the parotid gland responds poorly to corticosteroid and interferon...
- Role of intralesional bleomycin in the treatment of complicated hemangiomas: prospective clinical studyShapour Omidvari
Department of Radiation Oncology, Nemazee Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Dermatol Surg 31:499-501. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common tumor of infancy. Although it has a basically benign nature and usually spontaneously regresses, a small percentage (5%) have complications that need treatment...
- Parapharyngeal space hemangioma in a pediatric patientDavid S Chrzanowski
Department of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23298, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:455-7. 2005
- Nonepithelial tumors and tumor-like lesions of the prostate glandA Shabaik
Department of Pathology, University of California, School of Medicine, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92103-8720, USA
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 40:429-72. 2003..Some non-English language references are also cited to reflect the international recognition of these lesions or to give credit to the author who first described the entity...
- [Vincristine treatment for function- and life-threatening infantile hemangioma]O Enjolras
Consultation des Angiomes, Hopital Lariboisiere, AP HP, 75010 Paris, France
Arch Pediatr 11:99-107. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of vincristine treatment for function- and life-threatening hemangiomas...
- Hemangioma in the anterior mediastinumHitoshi Nishikawa
Department of Chest Surgery, Kitakyushu Municipal Medical Center, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:442-4. 2003..Histopathologically, it was diagnosed to be a venous type hemangioma composed of vessels covered by smooth muscle and a cavernous type hemangioma composed of dilated vessels covered ..
- Angiomatoid cellular blue nevus: a variant of blue nevus with an angioma-like appearanceCarmelo Urso
J Cutan Pathol 32:385-7. 2005
- Epithelioid hemangioma of the penis: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 19 cases, with special reference to exuberant examples often confused with epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and epithelioid angiosarcomaJohn F Fetsch
Department of Soft Tissue, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:523-33. 2004..One patient developed a new epithelioid hemangioma at a site within the penis separate from the initial lesion, but no patient is known to have experienced a true ..
- Intralesional bleomycin for the treatment of hemangiomasConrad Pienaar
Department of Plastic Surgery, Red Cross Children's Hospital, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:221-6. 2006..children were assessed as achieving a response of greater than 75 percent reduction in the size of the hemangioma (of which 10 children were assessed as having total involution >90 percent response)...
- Intralesional bleomycin injection (IBI) treatment for haemangiomas and congenital vascular malformationsT Muir
James Cook University Hospital, North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough, UK
Pediatr Surg Int 19:766-73. 2004....
- Hyperkalemia complicating propranolol treatment of an infantile hemangiomaHelena Pavlakovic
Department of Pediatrics I, University Hospital Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 36, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Pediatrics 126:e1589-93. 2010Propranolol treatment was recently reported to be successful for the management of severe infantile hemangioma. Known adverse effects of propranolol treatment include transient bradycardia, hypotension, hypoglycemia, and bronchospasm (in ..
- Intraosseous hemangioma of the zygoma: CT and MR findingsS L Moore
Department of Radiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:1383-5. 2001..Only 20 cases of zygomatic involvement have been reported in the English-language literature. We report a case of an intraosseous hemangioma of the zygoma documented by CT and MR studies.
- Unusual sclerosing haemangiomas and sclerosing haemangioma-like lesions, and the value of TTF-1 in making the diagnosisA G Nicholson
Department of Histopathology, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Histopathology 41:404-13. 2002..This study presents and discusses the histogenesis of four cases where difficulties in diagnosis were encountered, and reports the value of the antibody TTF-1 in making the diagnosis...
- Adrenal hemangioma removed by a retroperitoneoscopic procedureT Yagisawa
Department of Urology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Urol 8:457-8. 2001Only about 50 surgical cases of adrenal hemangioma have been reported in the literature. Presented here is the first case of a large adrenal hemangioma that was removed by a retroperitoneoscopic procedure.
- Mast cells in canine cutaneous hemangioma, hemangiosarcoma and mammary tumorsMoges Woldemeskel
Department of Pathology, Tifton Veterinary Diagnostic and Investigational Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, 43 Brighton Rd, Tifton, GA, 31793, USA
Vet Res Commun 34:153-60. 2010Mast cell count (MCC) in 45 dogs with cutaneous hemangioma (HA, n = 12), hemangiosarcoma (HSA, n = 12), mammary adenoma (AD, n = 9) and mammary adenocarcinoma (AC, n = 12) was made using Toluidine blue stained sections...
- Ossified intramuscular hemangioma: multimodality imaging findingsK Nagira
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7-5-1 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, 650-0017, Kobe, Japan
Clin Imaging 25:368-72. 2001..Multimodality imaging findings of a rare case of an ossified intramuscular hemangioma in the calf of a 24-year-old woman are presented...
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage from a small bowel polypoid hemangiomaJoseph C Livengood
St. Joseph Hospital, Department of Surgery Education, Denver, Colorado, USA
JSLS 6:179-80. 2002..METHODS: A case of occult gastrointestinal bleeding from a polypoid hemangioma located in the distal jejunum is presented...
- Congenital nonprogressive hemangioma: a distinct clinicopathologic entity unlike infantile hemangiomaP E North
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas Children s Hospital, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:1607-20. 2001..This assumption has not been tested by rigorous histologic and immunophenotypic comparisons...
- Breast cancer risk among Swedish hemangioma patients and possible consequences of radiation-induced genomic instabilityMarkus Eidemüller
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Institute of Radiation Protection, Neuherberg, Germany
Mutat Res 669:48-55. 2009Breast cancer incidence among 17,158 female Swedish hemangioma patients was analyzed with empirical excess relative risk models and with a biologically-based model of carcinogenesis...
- A switch in Notch gene expression parallels stem cell to endothelial transition in infantile hemangiomaJune K Wu
Department of Surgery, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Angiogenesis 13:15-23. 2010Infantile hemangioma (IH) is the most common benign tumor of infancy, yet its pathogenesis is poorly understood...
- Application of intravitreal bevacizumab for circumscribed choroidal hemangiomaMin Sagong
Department of Ophthalmology, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 23:127-31. 2009We report 3 cases of circumscribed choroidal hemangioma (CCH) effectively managed with intravitreal bevacizumab. One patient (case 1) who had recurrent CCH (1...
- Trauma-induced simulator of targetoid hemosiderotic hemangiomaL J Christenson
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 23:221-3. 2001Reported here is a 15-year-old with lesions demonstrating histologic features of targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma (THH) developing after trauma to inflammatory lesions. These lesions pose as simulators of THH...
- Long-term results in the treatment of childhood hemangioma with the flashlamp-pumped pulsed dye laser: an evaluation of 617 casesS Hohenleutner
Department of Dermatology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 28:273-7. 2001..Because the treatment is fast, effective, and nearly without side effects, we recommend early laser treatment especially in superficial and small childhood hemangiomas...
- Photodynamic therapy with verteporfin for symptomatic circumscribed choroidal hemangioma: five-year outcomesMaria Antonietta Blasi
Department of Ophthalmology, Catholic University of Rome, Italy
Ophthalmology 117:1630-7. 2010To evaluate the long-term efficacy of verteporfin photodynamic therapy (PDT) as the primary treatment for symptomatic circumscribed choroidal hemangioma (CCH).
- Sonographic and mammographic appearances of breast hemangiomaBenoit Mesurolle
Department of Radiology, Cedar Breast Clinic, McGill University Health Center, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Ave W, Montreal, PQ H3G 1A4, Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:W17-22. 2008..The purpose of our study was to retrospectively evaluate the clinical, imaging, and pathologic findings of breast hemangiomas in 16 patients...
- Involution of endophytic optic disc hemangioma with a single session of photodynamic treatmentAylin Yaman
Department of Ophthalmology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 39:63-6. 2007We report a 58-year-old otherwise healthy woman with unilateral endophytic optic disc hemangioma and associated serous retinal detachment and exudation...
- Photodynamic therapy of choroidal hemangioma in sturge-weber syndrome, with a review of treatments for diffuse and circumscribed choroidal hemangiomasMichael S Tsipursky
Department of Ophthalmology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 56:68-85. 2011..PDT is an effective treatment option for visual deterioration from exudative retinal detachment in patients with diffuse choroidal hemangiomas...
- Management of giant hemangioma of the liver: resection versus observationThomas Schnelldorfer
Division of Gastroenterologic and General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 211:724-30. 2010..Although recent case series suggest a low complication rate with nonoperative management, the classic paradigm of preventive operative resection remains...
- Hypoglycemia as a result of propranolol during treatment of infantile hemangioma: a case reportJohannes M P J Breur
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Centre for Congenital Vascular Anomalies Utrecht, University Medical Centre Utrecht Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, Lundlaan, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Dermatol 28:169-71. 2011..Extreme care should be taken in patients treated with both propranolol and prednisone as they are at increased risk of hypoglycemia...
- Hobnail hemangioma ("targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma"): clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 62 casesT Mentzel
Department of Pathology, University of Jena, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 26:279-86. 1999Hobnail hemangioma, also known as "targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma", represents a distinctive, benign vascular tumor, characterized histologically by a biphasic growth pattern of dilated vascular structures in the superficial ..
- Cellular and extracellular markers of hemangiomaS T Tan
Swee Tan Plastic Surgery Trust and the Department of Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine, New Zealand
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:529-38. 2000Several cellular and extracellular markers that distinguish the phases of the hemangioma life cycle have been described previously...
- Rare case of atypical epitelioid hemangioma of penis initially misdiagnosed as Peyronie's disease: report with clinical, radiologic, and immunohistochemical analysisAlessandro Natali
Department of Urology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Urology 73:210.e7-10. 2009We report a rare case of atypical epithelioid hemangioma of the penis in a 42-year-old man with a painful penile dorsal nodule, first misdiagnosed on simple penile ultrasonography as Peyronie's disease...
- Pyogenic granuloma (lobular capillary hemangioma): a clinicopathologic study of 178 casesS J Patrice
Division of Plastic Surgery, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
Pediatr Dermatol 8:267-76. 1991Pyogenic granuloma (lobular capillary hemangioma) is a common acquired vascular lesion of the skin and mucous membranes in the pediatric age group. This is a retrospective analysis of 178 patients, 17 years of age and younger (mean age 6...
- Sonographic evaluation of subcutaneous hemangioma of the breastBettina Siewert
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:1025-7. 2002
- Sixteen cases of sclerosing hemangioma of the lung including unusual presentationsGou Young Kim
Department of Pathology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 19:352-8. 2004..All patients were alive and well without recurrence at the last follow up. Here, we reviewed previously published literatures and discussed the histogenesis of SH...
- Management of congenital subglottic hemangioma: trends and success over the past 17 yearsMohamed A Bitar
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, American Univeristy of Beirut Medical Center, American University of Beirut School of Medicine, Lebanon
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:226-31. 2005To evaluate the success and complications of various treatment options of congenital subglottic hemangioma.
- Application of potassium-titanyl-phosphate (KTP) laser in the excision of pyriform fossa hemangiomaProdul Hazarika
Department of E N T, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Am J Otolaryngol 27:136-8. 2006Pyriform fossa hemangioma, especially of the cavernous type, is a rare case and very few such lesions have been encountered in general otolaryngological practice...
- Two cases of adrenal hemangioma: CT and MRI findings with pathological correlationsTakayuki Yamada
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Radiat Med 20:51-6. 2002We present two cases of adrenal hemangioma, a rare non-functioning adrenal tumor, and correlate the CT and MR imaging findings with the pathological findings...
- Circumscribed choroidal hemangiomaArman Mashayekhi
Ocular Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 14:142-9. 2003Circumscribed choroidal hemangioma is an uncommon, benign vascular tumor manifesting as an orange-red mass in the posterior pole of the eye. Serous retinal detachment accounts for decreased vision in most patients...
- Epithelioid hemangioma of bone revisited: a study of 50 casesG Petur Nielsen
Department of Pathology and James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:270-7. 2009..Epithelioid hemangioma of bone is a benign lesion that may be multifocal and affect separate tissue and is successfully treated with ..
- Quantitative assessment of iron-oxide-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of the liver: Vessel isointensity is a potential characteristic of liver hemangiomas on late T1-weighted imagesS A Schmitz
Klinik und Hochschulambulanz für Radiologie und Nuklearmedizin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Berlin, Germany
Acta Radiol 47:634-42. 2006..To test whether a new quantitative measure, the tumor-to-vessel ratio, obtained from late post-iron-oxide-enhanced T1-weighted images allows for differentiating hemangiomas from liver metastases or all malignant liver lesions...
- A unique case of PHACES syndrome confirming the assumption that PHACES syndrome and the sternal malformation-vascular dysplasia association are part of the same spectrum of malformationsSascha Vermeer
Department of Human Genetics, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Clin Dysmorphol 14:203-6. 2005..This report emphasizes that many different combinations of features may be seen in PHACES syndrome...
- Recurrent giant hemangioma causing severe respiratory distressFabrizio Romano
Department of Surgery, San Gerardo Hospital, II University of Milan, Bicocca, Via Donizetti 106, 20052 Monza, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 52:3526-9. 2007b>Hemangioma is a common benign tumor of the liver that is usually asymptomatic. If >4 cm (giant hemangioma), it could present symptoms related to bleeding, thrombosis, consumptive coagulopathy, or adjacent abdominal organ compression...
- Solitary small hepatic angiosarcoma: initial and follow-up imaging findingsSuk Hee Heo
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital, Hwasun, Korea
Korean J Radiol 8:180-3. 2007We report an uncommon case of solitary, small hepatic angiosarcoma that was initially considered as a hemangioma. We present the imaging findings, with an emphasis on the initial and follow-up CT and MR findings, as well as report on the ..
- Multiple neonatal haemangiomatosis with liver haemangiomas and anaemiaVibhu Mendiratta
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India
Australas J Dermatol 49:42-3. 2008..After 3 months follow up, there has been some further enlargement of the cutaneous lesions but no increase in number, while the liver lesions have remained stable, without any other systemic complications...
- Hemangiomas in infancy and childhood. S 2k Guideline of the German Society of Dermatology with the working group Pediatric Dermatology together with the German Society for Pediatric Surgery and the German Society for Pediatric MedicineRainer Grantzow
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 6:324-9. 2008
- [Neonatal haemangiomatosis]A Lacoste
, , 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
Ann Dermatol Venereol 134:694-8; quiz 693, 699. 2007
- [Hemangiomas in infancy]E D'Auria
Clinica Pediatrica, Ospedale San Paolo, Universita di Milano
Pediatr Med Chir 28:65-72. 2006..The morphology and location of a hemangioma of infancy are critically important factors in determining potential risk for complications...
- Distinguishing benign from malignant liver tumoursJay P Heiken
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Cancer Imaging 7:S1-14. 2007..This article describes the salient imaging features of the common benign liver masses and outlines a general approach to distinguishing between benign and malignant hepatic lesions...
- Hemangioma Research WorkshopIlona Frieden; Fiscal Year: 2005..This meeting has been initiated by the Hemangioma Investigator Group, a group from 7 pediatric dermatology centers who began in 2001 to meet and develop studies ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF THYROID HORMONE DEPENDENT GENE EXPRESSIONPHILIP LARSEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 2 will elucidate the mechanism for ectopic expression of D3 in these tumors. We will compare hemangioma-derived and normal human capillary endothelial cells to discover pathways which could activate D3 expression ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inherited Neurological DiseasesXandra Breakefield; Fiscal Year: 2005..therapy for hereditary tumors in experimental models of TSC: evaluate gene delivery in mouse models of liver hemangioma, cortical harmartomas and renal cell carcinoma (TSC2+/-); generate brain lesions in TSC1 conditional knock-out ..
- Type 3 Iodothyronine Deiodinase in Infantile HemangiomasStephen Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..Extremely high levels of D3 activity are present in proliferative hemangioma tissue, causing the rapid inactivation of thyroid hormone...
- PECAM-1 AND REGULATION OF ANGIOGENESISNader Sheibani; Fiscal Year: 2003..is a major regulator of EC phenotype and its expression is sufficient to restore a normal phenotype and suppress hemangioma formation in Polyoma middle T transformed mouse brain ECs...
- Molecular Imaging of Targeted Cardiac Gene TherapyJoseph C Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..On the flip side, persistent and unregulated angiogenesis can lead to hemangioma in the heart and thus controlling gene expression in a targeted and regulatory fashion is needed...
- Roles of Akt and immune regulation in the development of hemangiomasThuy Phung; Fiscal Year: 2007..In support of this proposal, I have preliminary data that implicate an important role of Akt in hemangioma formation, and have established a novel mouse model of hemangioma in response to inducible and endothelial cell-..
- MECHANISMS OF CELL KILLING INDUCED BY RETROVIRUSESJohn Young; Fiscal Year: 2003..The fifth aim studies a variant of ALV-A, the avian hemangioma virus, which induces cell-killing...
- VASCULAR ANOMALIES: INVESTIGATIONS OF ETIOLOGIC FACTORSFrancine Blei; Fiscal Year: 2003..kindreds with positional cloning of potential candidate genes, and we are assessing loss of heterozygosity in hemangioma tissue to see if endothelial cells in hemangioma tissue is clonal. In collaboration with Dr...
- NATRIURETIC PEPTIDE INHIBITS VEGF SYNTHESIS AND ACTIONSELLIS LEVIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..is critical to normal development and wound healing, cancer metastases, diabetic proliferative retinopathy and hemangioma formation...
- Skin Manifestations of Tuberous SclerosisJack Arbiser; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aim 3. To determine whether dysregulation of p16ink4a and PTCH (patched) acts as a modifier of theTS phenotype in transgenic mice expressing dominant negative tuberin. ..