Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign tumor, made up of an overgrowth of BLOOD VESSELS. It is extremely common, occurring mostly in infancy and childhood. It can occur anywhere in the body but is most frequently noticed in the SKIN and SUBCUTANEOUS TISSUE. About 75% are present at birth, and about 60% occur in the head and neck area. (from Stedman, 25th ed; DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, p1355)
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Propranolol treatment for hemangioma of infancy: risks and recommendationsLeslie P Lawley
Department of Dermatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 26:610-4. 2009b>Hemangioma of infancy is a condition that may be associated with significant morbidity...
- Multipotential stem cells recapitulate human infantile hemangioma in immunodeficient miceZia A Khan
Vascular Biology Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2592-9. 2008Infantile hemangioma is a benign endothelial tumor composed of disorganized blood vessels. It exhibits a unique life cycle of rapid postnatal growth followed by slow regression to a fibrofatty residuum...
- Corticosteroid suppression of VEGF-A in infantile hemangioma-derived stem cellsShoshana Greenberger
Vascular Biology Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1005-13. 2010Corticosteroids are commonly used to treat infantile hemangioma, but the mechanism of action of this therapy is unknown...
- Suppressed NFAT-dependent VEGFR1 expression and constitutive VEGFR2 signaling in infantile hemangiomaMasatoshi Jinnin
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Med 14:1236-46. 2008..We show that expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 (VEGFR1) in hemangioma endothelial cells (hemECs) and hemangioma tissue is markedly reduced compared to controls...
- Propranolol in the therapeutic strategy of infantile laryngotracheal hemangioma: A preliminary retrospective study of French experienceNicolas Leboulanger
Hopital Armand Trousseau, 75012 Paris, France
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:1254-7. 2010Preliminary assessment of the efficacy of propranolol on subglottic hemangioma in children on a nation-wide scale.
- Propranolol induces regression of hemangioma cells through HIF-1α-mediated inhibition of VEGF-AHarvey Chim
Department of Plastic Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Ann Surg 256:146-56. 2012..To investigate the mechanism of propranolol on regression of infantile hemangiomas...
- Treatment of hemangioma of the head and neck with diode laser and forced dehydration with induced photocoagulationFrancesca Angiero
Anatomia Patologica, Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza MI, Italy
Photomed Laser Surg 26:113-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of treating oral hemangiomas using forced dehydration with induced photocoagulation (FDIP) via diode laser...
- Propranolol as first-line treatment of head and neck hemangiomasCarine Fuchsmann
Service d Otorhinolaryngologie Pédiatrique, L Hôpital Femme Mère Enfant, Hospices Civils de Lyon, 69600 Bron, France
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:471-8. 2011..To report the efficacy of propranolol as first-line treatment of head and neck hemangiomas in children and to present an optimized protocol for treating hemangiomas...
- A randomized controlled trial of propranolol for infantile hemangiomasMarcia Hogeling
Department Pediatric Dermatology, Sydney Children s Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia
Pediatrics 128:e259-66. 2011..Propranolol hydrochloride is a safe and effective medication for treating infantile hemangiomas (IHs), with decreases in IH volume, color, and elevation...
- Improved focal liver lesion detection: comparison of single-shot diffusion-weighted echoplanar and single-shot T2 weighted turbo spin echo techniquesK Coenegrachts
Department of Radiology, AZ St Jan AV, Bruges, Belgium
Br J Radiol 80:524-31. 2007..05). This study shows the potential of SS SE-EPI DWI (especially with a b-value of 20 s mm(-2)) as a promising technique for detecting small (<10 mm) focal liver lesions...
- Hemangiomas of infancyAnna L Bruckner
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:477-93; quiz 494-6. 2003....
- Pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma with lymph node metastases: report of 4 casesAya Miyagawa-Hayashino
Department of Pathology, Tenri Hospital, Nara, Japan
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:321-5. 2003Sclerosing hemangioma is an unusual pulmonary tumor. Previously, 4 patients with pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma and lymph node metastases have been described in the literature.
- Prospective study of infantile hemangiomas: demographic, prenatal, and perinatal characteristicsAnita N Haggstrom
J Pediatr 150:291-4. 2007..To characterize demographic, prenatal, and perinatal features of patients with infantile hemangiomas and to determine the importance of these factors in predicting rates of complication and treatment...
- Hypoglycemia in children taking propranolol for the treatment of infantile hemangiomaKristen E Holland
Department of Dermatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Arch Dermatol 146:775-8. 2010..Since then, the use of propranolol for IHs has exploded because it is viewed as a safer alternative to traditional therapy...
- Prospective study of infantile hemangiomas: clinical characteristics predicting complications and treatmentAnita N Haggstrom
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Pediatrics 118:882-7. 2006..This study aims to identify clinical characteristics associated with complications and the need for therapeutic intervention...
- Propranolol for the treatment of a life-threatening subglottic and mediastinal infantile hemangiomaMai Thy Truong
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Lucile Packard Children s Hospital at Stanford, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, 801 Welch Rd, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Pediatr 156:335-8. 2010An infant with a subglottic hemangioma remained in respiratory distress after multiple treatments failed and was found to have an enlarging mediastinal infantile hemangioma compressing the trachea...
- Alcoholization: the choice of intrauterine treatment for chorioangiomaChanane Wanapirak
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Thailand
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 28:71-5. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the first report using alcoholization for the treatment of hydrops fetalis secondary to chorioangioma...
- Propranolol therapy for infantile haemangiomas: review of the literatureA P Zimmermann
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:338-42. 2010..Sometimes intervention is required due to proliferative growth which is complicated by ulceration, bleeding, persistent aesthetic deformity or infection...
- Insulin-like growth factor 2 and potential regulators of hemangioma growth and involution identified by large-scale expression analysisMatthew R Ritter
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:7455-60. 2002..10,000 human genes, we identified insulin-like growth factor 2 (IGF-2) as a potentially important regulator of hemangioma growth. IGF-2 was highly expressed during the proliferative phase and substantially decreased during involution...
- Intraosseous hemangioma of the rib mimicking an aggressive chest wall tumorKhimseng Tew
Department of Radiology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia, Australia
Diagn Interv Radiol 17:118-21. 2011..A case of a rib hemangioma is presented in which the pre-resection diagnosis was an aggressive chest wall tumor...
- Local serum levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in infantile hemangioma: intriguing mechanism of endothelial growthPrzemysław Przewratil
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Oncology, Medical University of Lodz, 91 738 Lodz, Poland
Cytokine 49:141-7. 2010..Dysregulation of angiogenesis has been proposed to play a central role in hemangioma pathogenesis...
- Increased Tie2 expression, enhanced response to angiopoietin-1, and dysregulated angiopoietin-2 expression in hemangioma-derived endothelial cellsY Yu
Surgical Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Pathol 159:2271-80. 2001..To investigate the molecular basis of hemangioma, we isolated endothelial cells from several proliferative-phase lesions and showed that these cells are clonal ..
- Propranolol for infantile hemangiomasLorea Bagazgoitia
Department of Dermatology, Hospital del Nino Jesus, Madrid, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 28:108-14. 2011..This multicenter retrospective study describes the efficacy and adverse effects of propranolol in infantile hemangioma. Seventy-one infants with infantile hemangiomas were treated with oral propranolol, 1 mg/kg/12 hours, for at ..
- Adverse effects of propranolol when used in the treatment of hemangiomas: a case series of 28 infantsMarlies de Graaf
Department of Pediatric Dermatology and Allergology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Dermatol 65:320-7. 2011Infantile hemangioma (IH) is a frequently encountered tumor with a potentially complicated course. Recently, propranolol was discovered to be an effective treatment option.
- Hemangioma of the urinary bladderL Cheng
Department of Pathology and Urology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Cancer 86:498-504. 1999b>Hemangioma of the urinary bladder is rare and the long term outcome of patients is unknown.
- A meta-analysis on the effectiveness of propranolol for the treatment of infantile airway haemangiomasStamatios Peridis
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:455-60. 2011..To study the effectiveness of propranolol in infantile airway haemangiomas and compare the effectiveness of propranolol vs. different therapies...
- Pyogenic granuloma (lobular capillary hemangioma): a clinicopathologic study of 178 casesS J Patrice
Division of Plastic Surgery, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
Pediatr Dermatol 8:267-76. 1991Pyogenic granuloma (lobular capillary hemangioma) is a common acquired vascular lesion of the skin and mucous membranes in the pediatric age group. This is a retrospective analysis of 178 patients, 17 years of age and younger (mean age 6...
- Clonality and altered behavior of endothelial cells from hemangiomasE Boye
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 107:745-52. 2001b>Hemangioma, the most common tumor of infancy, is a benign vascular neoplasm of unknown etiology...
- "Pseudo washout" sign in high-flow hepatic hemangioma on gadoxetic acid contrast-enhanced MRI mimicking hypervascular tumorKyung Won Doo
Department of Radiology, Korea University Guro Hospital, Korea University College of Medicine, 80 Guro dong, Guro Gu, Seoul 152 703, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:W490-6. 2009The purpose of this article is to describe the "pseudo washout" sign of high-flow hepatic hemangioma that mimics hypervascular tumor on gadoxetic acid-enhanced MRI.
- Differentiation of small hepatic hemangioma from small hepatocellular carcinoma: recently introduced spectral CT methodPeijie Lv
Department of Radiology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, No 197 Ruijin Er Rd, Shanghai, China 200025
Radiology 259:720-9. 2011..usefulness of computed tomographic (CT) spectral imaging parameters in differentiating small (≤3 cm) hepatic hemangioma (HH) from small hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), with or without cirrhosis, during the late arterial phase (AP) ..
- Management of hepatic hemangiomas: a 14-year experiencePaulo Herman
Liver Surgery Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Gastrointest Surg 9:853-9. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common primary tumor of the liver and its diagnosis has become increasingly prevalent. Most of these lesions are asymptomatic and are managed conservatively...
- Endothelial progenitor cells in infantile hemangiomaYing Yu
Program in Vacular Biology, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 103:1373-5. 2004Infantile hemangioma is an endothelial tumor that grows rapidly after birth but slowly regresses during early childhood...
- Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1 and other markers in sclerosing hemangioma of the lungP B Illei
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:1335-9. 2001CONTEXT: Sclerosing hemangioma of the lung is well characterized histologically, but the line of differentiation expressed by the tumor cells has been unclear...
- Tumors associated with avian leukosis virus subgroup J in layer hens during 2007 to 2009 in ChinaZiqiang Cheng
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shandong Agricultural University, Tai an, PR China
J Vet Med Sci 72:1027-33. 2010..The most prevalent tumor type was hemangioma (50%) in commercial layer flocks; the second most prevalent neoplasm type was myelocytoma (38...
- Histopathologic and immunophenotypic profile of subglottic hemangioma: multicenter studyArunkumar N Badi
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, 9000 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1187-91. 2009Subglottic hemangioma (SGH) is a rare tumor of childhood often associated with airway compromise...
- Hemangioma of the external auditory canalCharles J Limb
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:74-5. 2002
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound of histologically proven liver hemangiomasChristoph F Dietrich
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Caritas Hospital Bad Mergentheim, Bad Mergentheim, Germany
Hepatology 45:1139-45. 2007..methods (ultrasound/computed tomography/magnetic resonance imaging), ultrasound-guided liver biopsy revealed hemangioma. In all patients a hepatic neoplasm had been suspected because of underlying malignant disease (n=41), liver ..
- Down-regulation of mir-424 contributes to the abnormal angiogenesis via MEK1 and cyclin E1 in senile hemangioma: its implications to therapyTaiji Nakashima
Department of Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e14334. 2010Senile hemangioma, so-called cherry angioma, is known as the most common vascular anomalies specifically seen in the aged skin. The pathogenesis of its abnormal angiogenesis is still unclear.
- Hemoperitoneum from a spontaneous rupture of a giant hemangioma of the liver: report of a caseNicola Corigliano
Department of Surgery Pietro Valdoni, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Surg Today 33:459-63. 2003b>Hemangioma is the most common benign tumor of the liver and it is often asymptomatic. Spontaneous or traumatic rupture, intratumoral bleeding, consumption coagulopathy, and rapid growth are mandatory surgical indications...
- Characterization of focal liver lesions by ADC measurements using a respiratory triggered diffusion-weighted single-shot echo-planar MR imaging techniqueMelanie Bruegel
Department of Radiology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur Radiol 18:477-85. 2008..63 x 10(-3)mm2/s. Measurements of the ADCs of focal liver lesions on the basis of a respiratory triggered DW-SS-EPI sequence may constitute a useful supplementary method for lesion characterization...
- Pharmacologic therapy for periocular infantile hemangiomas: a review of the literatureJohn Nguyen
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, 243 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 24:178-84. 2009..This article will review the rapidly evolving field of pharmacologic treatment of infantile hemangiomas...
- Hemangioma of the salivary gland: a study of ten cases of a rarely biopsied/excised lesionEsther L B Childers
Departments of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 6:339-44. 2002b>Hemangioma is a common soft tissue tumor that frequently occurs in the oral and maxillofacial region including salivary glands, but is rarely biopsied and is therefore often unfamiliar to the surgical pathologist...
- Hyperkalemia complicating propranolol treatment of an infantile hemangiomaHelena Pavlakovic
Department of Pediatrics I, University Hospital Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 36, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Pediatrics 126:e1589-93. 2010Propranolol treatment was recently reported to be successful for the management of severe infantile hemangioma. Known adverse effects of propranolol treatment include transient bradycardia, hypotension, hypoglycemia, and bronchospasm (in ..
- Oral corticosteroid use is effective for cutaneous hemangiomas: an evidence-based evaluationM L Bennett
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:1208-13. 2001..001). No significant difference was observed as to the occurrence of adverse effects (P =.3). CONCLUSION: Systemic corticosteroid treatment seems to be effective for problematic cutaneous hemangiomas of infancy...
- Sclerosing hemangioma with lymph node metastasisKyung Hee Kim
Department of Pathology, Eulji University Hospital, 24 14 Mok Dong, Jung Gu, Daejeon 301 808, Korea
Yonsei Med J 44:150-4. 2003Sclerosing hemangioma (SH) of the lung is an uncommon type of tumor, which is composed of polygonal and cuboidal cells. This disease is generally regarded as benign but extremely rare cases with lymph node metastasis have been reported...
- Intralesional bleomycin for the treatment of hemangiomasConrad Pienaar
Department of Plastic Surgery, Red Cross Children s Hospital, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:221-6. 2006..Furthermore, involution often takes many years, with attendant psychological sequelae to the child. This is aggravated by the fact that most hemangiomas affect the head and neck and are visible and difficult to conceal...
- Endothelial progenitor cells from infantile hemangioma and umbilical cord blood display unique cellular responses to endostatinZia A Khan
Vascular Biology Research Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 108:915-21. 2006..Our hypothesis is that hemangioma-derived EPCs (HemEPCs) differentiate into the mature ECs that comprise the major compartment of the tumor...
- Hepatic hemangioma: atypical appearances on CT, MR imaging, and sonographyHyun Jung Jang
Radiation Medicine Branch, Research Institute, National Cancer Center, 809 Madu 1 dong, Ilsan gu, Goyang si, Gyeonggi Do, 411 764, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:135-41. 2003
- Vasculogenesis in infantile hemangiomaElisa Boscolo
Vascular Biology Program, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Angiogenesis 12:197-207. 2009Infantile hemangioma is a vascular tumor that occurs in 5-10% of infants of European descent. A defining feature of infantile hemangioma is the dramatic growth and development into a disorganized mass of blood vessels...
- Giant liver hemangioma: therapy by enucleation or liver resectionErhan Hamaloglu
Department of General Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Basinevleri, Yankilar Sok, Ankara, Turkey
World J Surg 29:890-3. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common primary tumor of the liver. The widespread use of ultrasonography (USG) and computed tomography (CT) has made the diagnosis more common...
- Indications and long-term outcome of treatment for benign hepatic tumors: a critical appraisalT Terkivatan
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Surg 136:1033-8. 2001..The natural history and clinical behavior of benign hepatic tumors during long-term follow-up may not justify primary surgical treatment...
- Synovial hemangioma of the knee joint with cystic invasion of the femur: a case report and review of the literatureBoris Michael Holzapfel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ludwigs Maximilians University Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:143-8. 2009Synovial hemangioma is a rare benign intra-articular tumor. It may be a cause of pain and recurrent joint swelling in children and young adults. This report presents a 29-year-old patient with a synovial hemangioma in the left knee joint...
- CT and MR imaging features of oral and maxillofacial hemangioma and vascular malformationNaoya Kakimoto
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Radiol 55:108-12. 2005To present CT and MR images and compare CT and MRI features of oral and maxillofacial hemangioma and vascular malformation.
- Case report: Treatment failure using propanolol for treatment of focal subglottic hemangiomaKarina T Canadas
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, United States
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:956-8. 2010Subglottic hemangioma is a rare, potentially life threatening tumor of infancy which poses serious treatment challenges...
- Robotic right hepatectomy for giant hemangioma in a Jehovah's WitnessPier Cristoforo Giulianotti
Division of General, Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 S Wood Street, Suite 435 E, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 18:112-8. 2011..Herein, we describe the first reported application of minimally invasive surgery for the removal of a giant symptomatic hemangioma, using robotic surgery, in a Jehovah's Witness (JW) patient.
- Efficacy and safety of propranolol in the treatment of parotid hemangiomaPaulo Morais
Department of Dermatovenereology, Hospital S Joao, EPE, University of Porto, Faculty of Medicine, Porto, Portugal
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 30:245-8. 2011A 2-month-old female patient presented an extensive bilateral parotid hemangioma (PH) focally ulcerated. Additionally, hepatic ultrasonography revealed a hemangioendothelioma located at right lobe...
- Infantile hemangioma: an updateVibhu Mendiratta
Department of Dermatology and STD, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 76:469-75. 2010..This article reviews current advances in the understanding of the pathogenesis, diagnostic tools, medical and surgical modalities of treatment for infantile hemangiomas...
- Efficacy and safety of ethanol injections in 18 cases of vertebral hemangioma: a mean follow-up of 2 yearsT Bas
Unidad de Raquis, Hospital de la Ribera, Alzira, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1577-82. 2001..2-year follow-up, the complication rate, results, and patient satisfaction with ethanol injection into vertebral hemangioma. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: There is controversy about the safety of ethanol injections in the treatment of ..
- Malignant rhabdoid tumor presenting as a hemangiomaA E Albregts
Department of Dermatology, University of Texas, Houston Medical School, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 13:468-71. 1996..We report a primary cutaneous rhabdoid tumor on the upper back of a newborn. It was initially diagnosed as a hemangioma clinically, and that diagnosis was supported by radiologic studies, including magnetic resonance imaging...
- Surgical management of parotid hemangiomaJohn F Reinisch
Division of Plastic Surgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1940-8. 2004..Surgical resection of parotid hemangiomas provides an aesthetic benefit to young children with low associated morbidity. Early resection by an experienced surgeon should be considered as a treatment option for these disfiguring lesions...
- Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy following photodynamic therapy for choroidal hemangiomaS Tuncer
Ocular Oncology Service, Wills Eye Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:159-62. 2009To report a case of circumscribed choroidal hemangioma (CCH) that responded to photodynamic therapy (PDT) but 3 years later developed polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV) with exudative retinopathy.
- Facial hemangioma and hemispheric migration disorder: presentation of 5 patientsI Pascual-Castroviejo
Pediatric Neurology Service, University Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:1609-12. 2007..The purpose of this study was to show the close association of these cutaneous anomalies with cortical dysplasias and intracranial vascular abnormalities...
- Cervicofacial vascular anomalies. I. Hemangiomas and other benign vascular tumorsDenise M Adams
Division of Hematology Oncology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 15:124-32. 2006..The most common vascular tumor is hemangioma, which is frequently seen in the head and neck area...
- Prospective clinical trial evaluating the efficacy of photodynamic therapy for symptomatic circumscribed choroidal hemangiomaAnna Boixadera
Department of Ophthalmology, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Ophthalmology 116:100-105.e1. 2009To evaluate photodynamic therapy (PDT) for symptomatic circumscribed choroidal hemangioma (CCH).
- Gadolinium-enhanced dynamic MRI of breast hemangiomaKazumasa Hayasaka
Department of Radiology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Ohyaguti kami mati 30 1 Itabashi ku, 1730032 Tokyo, Japan
Comput Med Imaging Graph 27:493-5. 2003We describe a patient with hemangioma of the breast. The tumor showed an Ill-defined hypointense mass on T1-weighted imaging and hyperintense mass on T2-weighted imaging...
- The detection and discrimination of malignant and benign focal hepatic lesions: T2 weighted vs diffusion-weighted MRID M Yang
Department of Radiology, Kyung Hee University East West Neo Medical Center, 149 Sangil dong, Gangdong gu, Seoul, Korea
Br J Radiol 84:319-26. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the use of diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) for the detection and characterisation of focal hepatic lesions compared with the use of T(2) weighted imaging...
- Giant placental chorioangioma: natural history and pregnancy outcomeC Zanardini
Fetal Medicine Unit, Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 35:332-6. 2010..The aim of the study was to evaluate the natural history, intrauterine treatment and outcome of pregnancies complicated by giant placental chorioangioma...
- Isolation, characterization, and in vitro propagation of infantile hemangioma stem cells and an in vivo mouse modelDan Xu
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Nevada Cancer Institute, Las Vegas, NV 89135, USA
J Hematol Oncol 4:54. 2011..The development of an in vitro cell culture system and an animal model would allow new insights into the biological processes involved in the development and pathogenesis of IH...
- Brown-Sequard syndrome after management of vertebral hemangioma with intralesional alcohol. A case reportT Niemeyer
Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery, Queens Medical Centre, University Hospital Nottingham, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1845-7. 1999This report describes Brown-Sequard syndrome after intralesional injection of absolute alcohol into vertebral hemangioma.
- Intramuscular hemangioma of the lower lipYong Seok Nam
Department of Plastic Surgery and Center for Advanced Medical Education by BK21 Project, Inha University College of Medicine, Sinheung Dong, Jung Gu, Incheon, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 18:958-9. 2007We report a case of intramuscular hemangioma in the lower orbicularis oris muscle. A 5-year-old boy presented a fairly firm mass in the lower lip. The mass was noticed a few weeks after birth and had been progressing slowly for years...
- Comparative diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosis of hepatic hemangiomasKristina Zviniene
Department of Radiology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 46:329-35. 2010..To compare the value of intravenous contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (US), intravenous contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the diagnosis of hepatic hemangiomas...
- Characterization of benign hepatic tumors arising in fatty liver with SonoVue and pulse inversion UST V Bartolotta
Department of Radiology, University of Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, Palermo 90127, Italy
Abdom Imaging 32:84-91. 2007..We describe the spectrum of contrast-enhancement patterns of benign hepatic tumors arising in fatty liver on contrast-enhanced ultrasound (US)...
- Sclerotherapy of hemangioma with late involutionKazuya Matsumoto
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Dermatol Surg 29:668-71; discussion 671. 2003..Most cutaneous hemangiomas involute spontaneously. However, the lesion existing on the face poses a cosmetic problem during the waiting period for involution...
- Current theories on the pathogenesis of infantile hemangiomaKristine Lo
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 24:172-7. 2009..While no current hypothesis explains all the characteristics of infantile hemangiomas, continued research targeting pathophysiology will ultimately lead to new treatment options...
- Infantile hemangioma is originated from placental trophoblast, fact or fiction?Zhi Yong Sun
Department of Plastic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, China
Med Hypotheses 71:444-8. 2008..current therapeutic modalities is ideal to date, partly because the origin of the pathogenic ECs in infantile hemangioma is unknown...
- Palladium 103 (103Pd) plaque radiation therapy for circumscribed choroidal hemangioma with retinal detachmentAlexander Aizman
Department of Ophthalmology, New York Eye Cancer Center, nd New York University School of Medicine, New York 10021, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:1652-6. 2004To describe clinical experience with palladium 103 ((103)Pd) ophthalmic plaque radiotherapy for choroidal hemangioma.
- Synovial hemangioma in the knee of a 10-month-old boyOscar Ares-Rodriguez
Hospital Vall d Hebron, Passeig Vall d Hebron 115 125, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:583-4. 2008Synovial hemangioma is a benign vascular tumor. While mainly affecting the knee, it can also appear in other joints or tissues. The condition is very rare in children...
- Littoral cell angioma (LCA) associated with liver cirrhosisHi Gu Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Inha University Hospital, Inha University, 7 206, 3 Ga, Shinheung Dong, Jung Gu, Incheon 400 103, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:184-8. 2005..There has been no previous report of a LCA combined with liver cirrhosis. Herein, the first case of a LCA in Korea, diagnosed and treated by a splenectomy, is reported...
- Characterization of focal liver lesions: comparison of pulse-inversion harmonic contrast-enhanced sonography with contrast-enhanced CTRui Li
Department of Ultrasound, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
J Clin Ultrasound 35:109-17. 2007..To compare the efficacy of contrast-enhanced pulse-inversion harmonic sonography for the characterization of focal liver lesions with that of contrast-enhanced helical CT...
- Synovial hemangioma of the ankleS Oumakhir
Department of Dermatology, Military Hospital of Instruction Mohammed V, Hay Riad, Rabat, Morocco
Foot (Edinb) 20:42-3. 2010Synovial hemangioma is a rare benign vascular tumor that arises from any synovium-lined surface. The most typical form is the intra articular type in which the tumor forms a mass lined by synovial membrane...
- [Littoral cell angioma of the spleen. Association with colon and hepatocellular carcinoma]T Hansen
Institut fur Pathologie, Universitätsmedizin Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101, Mainz, Deutschland
Pathologe 31:290-2. 2010..In addition a hepatocellular carcinoma was found. Due to the relationship with malignant tumors littoral cell angioma should be considered in every case of a splenic tumoral space-occupying mass, particularly in carcinoma patients...
- Sequence analysis for the complete proviral genome of subgroup J Avian Leukosis virus associated with hemangioma: a special 11 bp deletion was observed in U3 region of 3'UTRMin Shi
College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an, Sichuan 625014, China
Virol J 8:158. 2011..Myelocytomatosis was the most common neoplasma observed in infected flocks; however, few cases of hemangioma caused by ALV-J were reported in recent year.
- Treatment of hemangiomas of infancyVictoria R Barrio
Department of Dermatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Dermatol Ther 18:151-9. 2005..This review highlights the treatments currently in use and the factors that direct treatment...
- Evaluation and management of infantile hemangioma: an overviewAnand Pandey
Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Ostomy Wound Manage 54:16-8, 20, 22-6, 28-9. 2008..a literature search of pertinent articles published between 1985 and 2006 in PubMed was conducted using the term hemangioma with the words types, pathophysiology, treatment, and complications...
- Infantile hemangioma: challenges, new insights, and therapeutic promiseEileen Boye
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Craniofac Surg 20:678-84. 2009..In the last several years, much has been learned about molecular features of hemangioma and hemangioma-derived endothelial cells cultured in vitro, but the specific etiology remains unclear...
- Signaling mechanisms in infantile hemangiomaEileen Boye
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 16:202-8. 2009Infantile hemangioma is a common vascular tumor with a unique lifecycle: rapid growth in infancy, followed by a period of involution, leading to complete regression...
- Sclerosing hemangioma isolated to the mediastinumKazuhiro Sakamoto
Department of Respiratory Surgery, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1021-3. 2003Sclerosing hemangioma is an uncommon tumor of unknown histogenesis that generally develops in the lung. We report on a 48-year-old woman with a sclerosing hemangioma that was apparently isolated to the mediastinum...
- Long-term results in the treatment of childhood hemangioma with the flashlamp-pumped pulsed dye laser: an evaluation of 617 casesS Hohenleutner
Department of Dermatology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 28:273-7. 2001..Because the treatment is fast, effective, and nearly without side effects, we recommend early laser treatment especially in superficial and small childhood hemangiomas...
- Photodynamic therapy of choroidal hemangioma in sturge-weber syndrome, with a review of treatments for diffuse and circumscribed choroidal hemangiomasMichael S Tsipursky
Department of Ophthalmology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 56:68-85. 2011..PDT is an effective treatment option for visual deterioration from exudative retinal detachment in patients with diffuse choroidal hemangiomas...
- Angiomatoid cellular blue nevus: a variant of blue nevus with an angioma-like appearanceCarmelo Urso
J Cutan Pathol 32:385-7. 2005
- Involution of endophytic optic disc hemangioma with a single session of photodynamic treatmentAylin Yaman
Department of Ophthalmology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 39:63-6. 2007We report a 58-year-old otherwise healthy woman with unilateral endophytic optic disc hemangioma and associated serous retinal detachment and exudation...
- Myeloid cells in infantile hemangiomaMatthew R Ritter
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Pathol 168:621-8. 2006..We report the results of experiments using myeloid markers (CD83, CD32, CD14, CD15) that unexpectedly co-labeled hemangioma endothelial cells, providing new evidence that these cells are distinct from normal endothelium.
- Endothelial cells of intramuscular (infantile) hemangioma express glut1Ricardo Drut
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, Superiora Sor Maria Ludovica, La Plata, Argentina
Int J Surg Pathol 15:166-8. 2007Glut1 is a marker of infantile hemangioma, and its positivity has resulted in defining this tumor at several sites (eg, skin, breast, salivary glands, liver, and placenta)...
- Ossifying hemangioma of the internal auditory canalDerald E Brackmann
House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles, California, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:1239-40. 2005
- Parapharyngeal space hemangioma in a pediatric patientDavid S Chrzanowski
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23298, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:455-7. 2005
- Retroperitoneal venous hemangiomaTse Kai Tseng
Department of Radiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 104:681-3. 2005Venous hemangioma is an extremely uncommon tumor. We report a 61-year-old woman with a surgically proven venous hemangioma in the retroperitoneum...
- Cellular and extracellular markers of hemangiomaS T Tan
Swee Tan Plastic Surgery Trust and the Department of Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine, New Zealand
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:529-38. 2000Several cellular and extracellular markers that distinguish the phases of the hemangioma life cycle have been described previously...
- Hobnail hemangioma ("targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma"): clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 62 casesT Mentzel
Department of Pathology, University of Jena, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 26:279-86. 1999Hobnail hemangioma, also known as "targetoid hemosiderotic hemangioma", represents a distinctive, benign vascular tumor, characterized histologically by a biphasic growth pattern of dilated vascular structures in the superficial dermis ..
- Role of intralesional bleomycin in the treatment of complicated hemangiomas: prospective clinical studyShapour Omidvari
Department of Radiation Oncology, Nemazee Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Dermatol Surg 31:499-501. 2005b>Hemangioma is the most common tumor of infancy. Although it has a basically benign nature and usually spontaneously regresses, a small percentage (5%) have complications that need treatment...
- Differentiation between hepatic cyst and hemangioma: additive value of breath-hold, multisection fluid-attenuated inversion-recovery magnetic resonance imaging using half-Fourier acquisition single-shot turbo-spin-echo sequenceKatsumi Sasaki
Department of Radiology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:29-36. 2005..resonance imaging (MRI) using half-Fourier acquisition single-shot turbo-spin-echo (HASTE) sequence as supplements to moderately and heavily T2-weighted fast-spin-echo (FSE) sequences in differentiating hepatic cyst from hemangioma.
- Epithelioid hemangioma of the penis: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 19 cases, with special reference to exuberant examples often confused with epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and epithelioid angiosarcomaJohn F Fetsch
Department of Soft Tissue, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:523-33. 2004..One patient developed a new epithelioid hemangioma at a site within the penis separate from the initial lesion, but no patient is known to have experienced a true ..
- Hemangioma Research WorkshopIlona Frieden; Fiscal Year: 2005..This meeting has been initiated by the Hemangioma Investigator Group, a group from 7 pediatric dermatology centers who began in 2001 to meet and develop studies ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF THYROID HORMONE DEPENDENT GENE EXPRESSIONPHILIP LARSEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 2 will elucidate the mechanism for ectopic expression of D3 in these tumors. We will compare hemangioma-derived and normal human capillary endothelial cells to discover pathways which could activate D3 expression ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inherited Neurological DiseasesXandra Breakefield; Fiscal Year: 2005..therapy for hereditary tumors in experimental models of TSC: evaluate gene delivery in mouse models of liver hemangioma, cortical harmartomas and renal cell carcinoma (TSC2+/-); generate brain lesions in TSC1 conditional knock-out ..
- Type 3 Iodothyronine Deiodinase in Infantile HemangiomasStephen Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..Extremely high levels of D3 activity are present in proliferative hemangioma tissue, causing the rapid inactivation of thyroid hormone...
- PECAM-1 AND REGULATION OF ANGIOGENESISNader Sheibani; Fiscal Year: 2003..is a major regulator of EC phenotype and its expression is sufficient to restore a normal phenotype and suppress hemangioma formation in Polyoma middle T transformed mouse brain ECs...
- Molecular Imaging of Targeted Cardiac Gene TherapyJoseph C Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..On the flip side, persistent and unregulated angiogenesis can lead to hemangioma in the heart and thus controlling gene expression in a targeted and regulatory fashion is needed...
- Roles of Akt and immune regulation in the development of hemangiomasThuy Phung; Fiscal Year: 2007..In support of this proposal, I have preliminary data that implicate an important role of Akt in hemangioma formation, and have established a novel mouse model of hemangioma in response to inducible and endothelial cell-..
- MECHANISMS OF CELL KILLING INDUCED BY RETROVIRUSESJohn Young; Fiscal Year: 2003..The fifth aim studies a variant of ALV-A, the avian hemangioma virus, which induces cell-killing...
- VASCULAR ANOMALIES: INVESTIGATIONS OF ETIOLOGIC FACTORSFrancine Blei; Fiscal Year: 2003..kindreds with positional cloning of potential candidate genes, and we are assessing loss of heterozygosity in hemangioma tissue to see if endothelial cells in hemangioma tissue is clonal. In collaboration with Dr...
- NATRIURETIC PEPTIDE INHIBITS VEGF SYNTHESIS AND ACTIONSELLIS LEVIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..is critical to normal development and wound healing, cancer metastases, diabetic proliferative retinopathy and hemangioma formation...
- Skin Manifestations of Tuberous SclerosisJack Arbiser; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aim 3. To determine whether dysregulation of p16ink4a and PTCH (patched) acts as a modifier of theTS phenotype in transgenic mice expressing dominant negative tuberin. ..